Back to the Future (1985) Poster

1,193 Reviews
So good in so many ways
TheLittleSongbird15 April 2010
I love Back to the Future. While having a typical 80s feel to it, which I like, I love how fun, irresistible and original the film is. The special effects are dazzling and the comedy is suitably sly and sophisticated. Helping along the way is a script that is pretty ingenious, the sort of script that has quotable lines and also pokes fun at 1950s icons and lifestyles during the frequent bouts of time travelling. The score by Alan Silvestri elevates the sense of fun to a greater level, the main theme is one of the most memorable themes ever in the history of film, or so I think anyway. Robert Zemekis's direction is very good, and the cinematography, scenery and costumes are also excellent. And I have to mention the acting, Michael J Fox is really appealing in the role of Marty McFly, the role that propelled him to stardom, and Christopher Lloyd is brilliant in one of his most memorable roles(and yes this includes Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Professor Plum from Clue). Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover are also great. Overall, brilliant film that is good in so many ways. 10/10 Bethany Cox
41 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How could anything be more fun than this?
Anonymous_Maxine1 June 2000
Back To The Future is such an inventive and exciting piece of filmmaking that it is impossible to forget about it. The casting of every character involved was absolutely perfect, and the performances were spectacular. I first saw this film when I was six years old, and it is the only movie that I know of that I don't think I could ever get sick of.

One of the best things about Back To The Future is that it really makes you think. You can have in-depth conversations about the plausibility of the story-line and spend hours discussing the film. The story is awesome, it is delivered cleverly and entertainingly, and the movie as a whole is just so much FUN that it can be forgiven whatever number of time-travel discrepancies that may be found in the plot.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. I have never found a movie other than this one that provides such a huge dose of great fun, and it has the desirable quality where you are able to see something new each time you see it. The only problem is that they stopped at part III.
526 out of 591 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Time -Travelling Classic
Chrysanthepop29 July 2008
Zemeckis's 'Back To The Future' trilogy has been a childhood favourite for a long time. Having revisited it today, brought me to a nostalgic state. The 80's saw a lot of excellent original fun 'young' films like 'Back To The Future' (of course), 'Better Off Dead', 'Heathers', 'The Breakfast Club' etc. What really made these films immensely enjoyable then, and classics today, is that they really reflected what it was like being a young person in the 80s. The movies themselves were well written, well executed, well acted and they cut straight to the point.

Back to 'Back To The Future'. This one is sheer fun, even today. There's an incredible energy about it but it still manages to stay an 'innocent' film. The music is very effective. It's slick and follows a steady pace. The special effects are decent. Though people might pick on the plausibility of the time travelling, I think this is really a very minor flaw because it is overall a well written movie and the point was to entertain. Yet, this is not to say that it's brainless entertainment. I think it cleverly brings forth some interesting themes and I liked how they funnily used some ideas of Oedipus Rex's story.

The acting is superb overall. Christopher Lloyd as the over-the-top mad scientist is a laugh riot. Michael J. Fox totally owns Marty McFly with his natural charisma, raw energy and brilliant dialogue delivery. Lea Thompson is cute and vivacious and Crispin Glover is good.

'Back To The Future' is one of the most enjoyable time-travelling classics. It's over 23 years old and it still hasn't gotten old. Sadly, they don't make it like this these days but then again we always can revisit them. That's why they're classics.
127 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic masterpiece the original the only best my favorite time travel film of all time
ivo-cobra817 April 2017
What can I say about this movie that was already said? It is my favorite time travel sci-fi, adventure epic comedy in the 80's and I love this movie to death! When I saw this movie I was thrown out by its theme. An excellent sci-fi, adventure epic, I LOVE the 80s. It's simple the greatest time travel movie ever happened in the history of world cinema. I love this movie to death, I love, LOVE, love it!

I firstly saw this movie in the early 90's as a kid on VHS tape and I was blow away by the action and the score and the title back to the future. This movie is one of the best masterpiece time travel epic adventure film. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are fantastic at acting. Music theme score by Alan Silvestri is excellent I could listen to it whole day.

Back to the Future (1985)

From the Academy Award "- winning team of Steven Spielberg" and Robert Zemeckis** comes the hilariously groundbreaking adventure that thrilled critics and audiences alike - and sparked one of the most successful movie trilogy ever! Directed by Robert Zemeckis the movie begins with Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) a teenager who has a really messed up family. His ultimate goal was to become a rock star which was heartened by his girl friend Jennifer Parker (Claudia Wells). But things went wrong when scientist Dr. Emmett Brown/Doc (Christopher Lloyd) wanted Marty's assistance for his new invention.

At that night Marty went to assist Doc's invention the Time traveling Car "DeLorean". Marty was told to record Doc's first time travel to the future. At that instant they were attacked by some Libyan terrorists who were cheated by Doc for Plutonium.

After killing Doc they turn towards to Marty and without any intention Marty enters the Time Traveling car. But it was previously set by Doc and when activated Marty gets transfer to 1955 from 1985.

What will he do next, will he can come back to the future, or will he stuck back in the past for his rest of the life. More than that will his time travel make serious effects on the future? Dealing with time travel and time paradox Steven Spielberg presents this amazing journey of Marty set up in the time of 80's and 50's. Scripted by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale for the story of Bob Gale himself, tells a science fiction adventure in a family oriented tone.

They really work hard to sculpt that sci-fi thread into a thrilling, culture clashed family movie. A good story with a great script. Also the soul of the movie was given by the legend Alan Silvestri. His composition was all memorable especially in the chasing and emotional scenes. Over the top the theme music, it was the most dazzling and recognizable themes in the movie history.

More than that the casting was simply brilliant, each and every actor is born to play their respected roles in this movie. Michael J. Fox was the only actor who can play the role of energetic Marty McFly, which was considered for numerous actors. Also Thomas F. Wilson was brilliant in his performance as the Bad boy Biff Tannen. Lea Thompson did a great work in portraying Lorraine Baines's two different life times, as a teenage girl and a matured mother. Well the extra talented Christopher Lloyd had almost "chewed every scenes" in the movie. Mr. Lloyd's versatile performance as the madman and genius scientist Dr. Emmett Brown is one of the great memorable roles in his carrier.

Last but not the least, it was Crispin Glover who steal the show as the nerdy teenager/father as George McFly. It was an interesting portrayal as a boy who was transformed to a man. Crispin Glover lived in that part. I don't know whether the movie would be a masterpiece without his unique performance. Above all I want to remember this as a romantic movie and it couldn't be made without the songs "The Power of Love," and "Earth Angel".

The rating I am giving is 10/10 the original and the best one of all time. I love this film, it is my favorite time travel movie of all time and I love it to death! All in all it is the greatest sci-fi, romantic movie of all time. It is the part of the great Movie History, which consider itself as " A Modern/Classic Masterpiece! "
219 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
mm-3928 November 2004
One of the last movies I went with sister to see back in 86. The film blew my mind. My friends never wanted to see this one. I was happy I went. Many year's latter, I bought "Back to the Future" at Mc Donalds for $2.99 or for some other low price with a meal. The film ages well, and I love it just the same. The director and screen writer mixes science fiction, humor, and action perfectly. A big component of the script is time line theory which drives the story. Marty has many problems to fix, and finds out more than anyone wants to know about their parents. Michael J Fox and Christopher Loyd were excellently casted. Marty and Doc what a chemistry. With the film series one see the many dualities with time travel, that become a constant with the movie. The town clock, being awoke in a strange place, and letters. Keep this in mind when watching the 2 other sequels. The theory that time repeats itself is evident. What a time machine, the Delorian adds to this movie. Worth watch over again. 10 out of 10! Thank you TBS for showing all 3 films.
168 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gotta get back in time! Get back Marty!
george.schmidt27 February 2003
BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) **** Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, Thomas F. Wilson, Marc McClure, Wendy Jo Sperber. This generation's "It's a Wonderful Life"? Think about it. Very popular and very entertaining sci-fi comedy that made Fox a movie star after success with tv's "Family Ties", casting him, after Eric Stoltz was dropped, as Marty McFly who winds up in a nuclear-powered DeLorean time-machine and is sent back in time to 1955 by his quintessentially eccentric friend Dr. Emmet Brown (Lloyd doing a fine Art Carney). There he meets up with his parents to be and realizes his chance encounters have changed his future and he must see history repeat itself or perish. High-concept hilarity and some truly ingenious schematics thanks to screenwriter Bob Gale and director Bob Zemeckis. Wondering what it would be like to never be born and/or what it would be like if things were different...see what I mean. Oscar-nominated song "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis (who has a fun cameo) fuels this dynamo gem of a film. Classic.
86 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An '80s classic that never disappoints
Leofwine_draca9 May 2016
I admit to having grown up on 1980s films and thus having a special admiration for them. Whichever way you look at it, BACK TO THE FUTURE is one of the most intelligent of the Hollywood blockbusters from that era, a film which perfectly merges crowd-pleasing entertainment with a complex and well-written storyline that gets to grips with the thorny subject of time travel.

The underrated Michael J. Fox stars in the role of his life as Marty McFly, a guy who unwisely gets involved in time travel thanks to the machinations of his kooky inventor buddy, Doc Brown. Christopher Lloyd essays this subsidiary character and, again, it's the role of his life; he's over the top in it but nonetheless his character is thoroughly endearing and never less than hilarious.

The time travel aspects of the storyline are carefully worked out and hold together very well even today, some 30 years after release. What I particularly liked about this film is the calibre of the writing: there's no slow spots or simplicity here, just one suspenseful sub-plot after another. There are small moments, big set-pieces, cutting edge special effects, action, chase scenes, romance, and of course plenty of humour, and a quirky supporting cast who make the most of their roles. BACK TO THE FUTURE is a classic - and for good reason.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets Better With Age
gavin694219 November 2014
A young man (Michael J. Fox) is accidentally sent thirty years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his friend, Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd), and must make sure his high-school-age parents unite in order to save his own existence.

After almost thirty years (2014), this film loses none of its charm, and actually gains respect. The movie has had such a strong impression on everyone, whether they have seen it or not, as it completely permeated pop culture.

The script is genius, not only how it parallels 1955 and 1985 (some of the references are dynamite), but how it set the scene for the sequels (despite allegedly not intending to have any). This is just one clever gag after another, and may require repeated viewings to catch them all.
33 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time Travel Movies Are Always Brilliant
Big Movie Fan4 June 2002
Time travel movies never disappoint-that is because the concept of time travel is a very interesting one which most people must have thought about at one time or another. What would happen if you went back in time and an innocuous act changed the course of history for better or worse? It's something to think about.

I won't reveal any plot details for this movie because it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Let's just say that Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly ends up back in 1955 where a sequence of events inadvertently orchestrated by Marty threaten his very existence. He is aided by Doc Brown played brilliantly by Christopher Lloyd who tries to get him back to 1985 without causing any damage to the fabric of time.

The movie is great-and I feel it can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their individual tastes in film genres. In fact, I find it hard to believe anyone could dislike a film like this. It has action, adventure, plenty of humour and some cool moments. All the actors involved in the movie play their parts great.

Anyone who watches this movie will love it.
131 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Classic
hannahsutcliffe21 July 2015
As a child, I used to watch this movie religiously. I loved the chemistry between Doc Brown and Marty McFly, I loved the all too familiar soundtrack and the ridiculous way in which George McFly laughs. This movie has become such a nostalgic and feel-good film for me. I had the good fortunate to see all three 'Back to the Future' movies in cinema last year and it was such an experience to watch this timeless classic with people who enjoy this film as much as I do. Everyone has to see this film at least once in their life! Such an amazing, funny Sci-Fi from the 1980's. I just can't get enough of this movie - it will just never get old. Cannot recommend it enough!
73 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Part 1-Goodness gracious! Great balls of fire!
Smells_Like_Cheese1 December 2006
I just asked my friend that I'm speaking with through instant messenger if he had ever seen "Back to the Future" and he said "Yeah, who hasn't?", sadly, I never had the opportunity until tonite and he called me a failure as a movie buff, well, at least I've seen the movies now! Ha ha! I'm back on track! Well, obviously, this is my first review for the first Back to the Future and when I came her to IMDb, I knew this was a well loved movie, I was just amazed at it being on the top 250, but I can't give it a lower rating because Back to the Future was an excellent film that was ground breaking for it's time and still today.

Marty McFly and his good friend, The Doc, are two science nuts. Marty isn't really happy with his home life and the fact that he and his parents are very square and strict, The Doc calls Marty and shows him his latest invention, his De Lauren that he built into a time machine. When the government go after The Doc and Marty has to get away, he jumps in the car and goes back to the year of 1955, when his parents met. Instead of the way his mom and dad met happening to his dad, he ends up being in the position and mom ends up falling for her son, not even knowing! But he has to make sure his parents are together in time so he can get back without altering the future.

Back to the Future to this day is still a timeless treasure that I notice more and more is becoming part of a newer generation. Michael J. Fox should be proud, his work will be remembered for a long time. Back to the Future worked so well because of the great story and the humor was great, the whole cast worked together and made a terrific movie that will be looked back on thirty years from now and still be considered cool.

53 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let your imagination fly
ad-1718 April 2000
A funny sci-fi? Unusual but here it not only works but does so spectacularly. A whimsical but very clever time travel story that bedazzles you leaving you wanting more.

The charasmatic Michael J Fox plays a wonderful bumbling high schooler searching for love, a guitar gig and his existence which he himself threatens to erase.

Clever and humourous references litter this fun flick; references which are further improved upon in the sequels. Views of the same scenes from different angles, different perspectives and different timelines abound.

Fun for the entire family.
192 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lost Blockbuster
Angry_Arguer3 July 2003
Back to the Future is one of those rare, almost forgotten, pieces of pop culture that, surprisingly, draws little attention to itself. Unlike such notable gimmicks as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, and Independence Day, there aren't any low-budget leeches trying to imitate off this work and cash-in on its success. This is due to the near flawless script. Why it didn't win an Oscar, you're guess is as good as mine. Making a time-travel storyline as in this movie that doesn't fall into plot holes the size of Terminator's is exceptionally difficult. I'd know.

The film starts slow, and gradually accelerates as it progresses. You could almost call it a Jerry Bruckheimer movie for kids with Spielberg's trademark nostalgia. The characters themselves are typical stereotypes for a movie like this and none of them, not even Marty himself, gel with potential. In some ways it's as if MAD magazine made the film in an attempt to be serious.

With such an automotive obsession as this film has, one must wonder if George Lucas was involved.

Overall, I have to praise this movie for its inventiveness and originality, even if it created most of our time-travel cliches. 4 out of 5 stars. Well worth your time.
159 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical 1980s Film That Still Delivers
tfrizzell5 September 2000
"Back to the Future" is a very smart film that benefits from likeable characters and an insightful screenplay. Michael J. Fox accidently goes back to 1955 in a DeLorean that has been turned into a time machine by the wacky Christopher Lloyd. Now Fox must bring his parents together after he inadvertently changes the future. It is not quite as complicated as it sounds. The film is great fun that seems brand new 15 years later. A great movie by Robert Zemeckis. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
101 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You gotta come back with me...
James-3928 February 2001
Back To The Future (1985) is my all time favourite movie. It's a thoroughly feel good film, accessible to all ages and enjoyable from the 1st to the 45th time of watching and never fails to bring a smile. Humour for all ages and a kick-ass car to boot, what more could a young kid want? Or those young at heart?

From Marty's "Johnny B Goode" to Doc's classic "Run For It Marty!" You'll find that even though you know what's coming next, you'll still laugh. It is the ultimate feel good movie, the weed overcomes the bully, the dreamers wishes come true and all because a nosey old bird thrusts for a nickel "Save The Clock Tower!"

It's popularity spawned 2 sequels and although it got decreasingly good in terms of quality as a film, Back To The Future remains the best film in my repetoire and a safe bet when you need to feel good.

It gets a solid 9 out of 10, comedy, fantasy, the gorgeous Lea Thompson, the insane but comic Doc and the typical teenager Marty make this film a must for all young at heart.
267 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Part of a the Best Movie Ever
DMP-211 January 2007
When you talk about Back to the Future, you have to talk about the whole trilogy. Because Zemeckis and Gale didn't make sequels they extended the length of one film, which is very different than a sequel.

The ultimate film must allow the audience feel part of the film and relate to the characters. This film is the best because it takes a fantasy story and makes it adaptable to real-life. I don't know how soon anyone will be able to time-travel, but you can relate to Marty McFly's (Michael J. Fox) reaction to the change. Even if you're not a teenager you can believe it in someway. Back to the Future is the perfect and its been extended into a masterpiece with 2 sequels or extensions as I see it. Definitely a must see, if your pathetic enough not to have seen in at least the last 8 years.

Amazing story by Gale and Zemeckis. Great acting especially by Michael J. Fox, but also great work by Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Tom Wilson. Such an exciting an involved story.
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
adorable
Kirpianuscus29 August 2016
all seems great. the idea, the script, the acting, the details who define each period. and the flavor of "50's in the most realistic manner to define it. sure, it is the result of a happy meeting between a courageous and real great director and the best actors for its project around a dream who is preserved by the imagination of each from us. but not the idea is the most important thing. the mixture of humor, tension, cultural references, the chemistry - yes, the word sounds strange but in this case is the best - between Christopher Lloyd and Michael Fox , the wise use of clichés about teenagers and family, the ignored guy who becomes hero, all make the story to roll in amazing manner. so, a sort of masterpiece. and one of the most adorable meet with a film. off course, a legendary one.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As close as you can get to a perfect movie
SmileysWorld16 September 2001
I feel that there is no such thing as a perfect film,but in today's cinema,"Back to the Future" comes amazingly close.It has laughs, AND thrills,always a great combination.I am amazed at the attention paid to nearly every single detail here.For example,at the start of the film,Doc and Marty are in the parking lot of the "Twin Pines Mall".Then,shortly after Marty arrives in 1955,he accidently runs over one of old man Peabody's beloved pine trees.Toward the end, after Marty returns,the name of the mall changes.This is something you just don't notice until you see the film several times as I have. Excellent casting,particularly Christopher Lloyd as the unforgettable Doc Brown,the humor of the Ronald Reagan bit and the Johnny B. Goode sequence,along with the ultimate heart pounding ending and the attention to detail as I mentioned make this film as close to perfect as you will see in modern cinema.The sequels? Forget them.This is the only one of the trilogy you need to see.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proof that Hollywood once was capable of putting magic on film
spyder723 October 2005
I watched this movie again for about the seventh time after a 10 year lapse or so. If there ever was magic on screen, Back to the Future has it. By the end of the film, I was only thinking, "Wow, Hollywood was once capable of putting magic on the screen." It really makes you wonder if the best of Hollywood is behind us.

To summarize a few components of the movie: The storyline and plot are superb, even with the minor plot holes. The acting is spot on in every scene. Today's film editors should watch this film a hundred times to see what editing should really be like, nearly flawless. The direction is unbelievable in my opinion. The screen writing and script are perfect as well and will make you laugh and smile throughout the movie. Every line by the awkward McFly family, every crazy rumbling of "Doc", and even the cheesy bully taunts of Biff fit together so well.

When I sat down to watch this movie a few days ago, I expected to see an aged movie that I remembered being much better than it actually was. I'm so glad I was wrong.
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My All Time Favorite Movie!
JudgeChaos8 May 2015
When I was little, my mom bought this movie on DVD for my dad. He turned it on one day and I brushed it off as "one of those weird old movies daddy likes". Eventually, I came out, sat down, and watched it. And the rest was history. I was so in love with this movie, that for 80's day at my school, I dressed up as Marty McFly. Nowadays, I love the movie more than ever. My favorite thing about this movie is the relationship between Doc and Marty. Most of the time, when a kid or teen hang out with an older person in movies and TV, people think they're more than friends. How many jokes have you heard involving Batman and Robin's relationship? However, Marty and Doc's relationship is pure friendship. I'm really good friends with one of my drama teachers, so I know how strong that type of friendship is. What else can I say? I love everything about this movie! If you haven't seen this movie, go see it now. Like...right now. Stop what your doing and go see it.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made. An Excellent And Unforgettable Classic.
jcbutthead8623 November 2015
Back To The Future is one greatest films ever made,an excellent and unforgettable classic that combines terrific direction,a wonderful cast,an amazing score and soundtrack,a fantastic script and great special effects. All of those elements make Back To The Future one of the best films of the 1980s that is Popcorn entertainment at it's best.

Set in the fictional town of Hill Valley,California,Back To The Future tells the story of teenager Marty McFly(Michael J. Fox). who is asked by his friend eccentric scientist Dr. Emmett Brown(Christopher Lloyd)to help him on experiment a time machine made out of a Delorean car. After an unfortunate incident Marty gets into the time machine and is accidentally transported back to 1955 where he not only meets Dr. Brown but also meets his parents George(Crispin Glover)and Lorraine(Lea Thompson)as teenagers. With the help of Dr. Brown Marty must find a way to get back to the year 1985.

Released in 1985,Back To The Future is a brilliant and entertaining film that was without a doubt the biggest Box Office hit of 1985 grossing over 300 million dollars world wide and is just an instant classic from the moment you watch it and is one of those movies that is the definition of what a blockbuster should be and where everything from the direction,the cast and story work to absolute perfection with no false note or missing beat. I don't think director Robert Zemeckis or the cast knew what they had was something that was special,magical and timeless and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and will continue to be enjoyed by past,present and future generations. The movie is also the first feature of one of the most beloved movie trilogies of all-time and while all three Back To The Future films are classics as a whole the first is still the best. What Back To The Future does so well is that it takes the time travel movie and gives it style and creativity mixing together different movie genres Comedy,SCI-FI,Action,Romance and thrills giving viewers everything but the kitchen sink but the movie never becomes uneven or confusing making Back To The Future one of the best genre mash-up movies I have ever seen. Although there are some serious moments Back To The Future is lighthearted with non-stop fun From beginning to end,Back To The Future has an energy and flow that just never stops and keeps you glued to the screen with relentless pace and excitement that makes the film re-watchable and iconic to this very day. The screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale is incredible and quotable with tons memorable scenes and dialog that are funny done with perfection and fun as well with ingenious style and rapid fire delivery that is wonderful. The Comedy and laughs in BTTF are hilarious and fun with moments that are over the top and great thanks to the actions and reactions of Marty and Doc Brown and the main characters. The SCI-FI scenes in BTTF involving the Delorean are so dazzling and are done with imagination and beauty that will make your jaw drop and it doesn't matter how many times you see BTTF you will be blown away by the Delorean sequences. There have been many classic movie duos throughout cinema and among the great duos are Marty and Doc. The scenes between Marty and Doc are truly funny with terrific back and forth banter and have some of the best scenes in the film that are unforgettable. While the two are different in personality and are separated by age the two have a friendship that feels genuine and real where you feel that Marty and Doc would have each other's back at all costs. The friendship between Marty and Doc is further cemented in Part II and III where you feel they will be friends forever whether it's in the future or in the present. Marty and Doc are two amazing and memorable characters that will never be forgotten. The ending of Back To The Future is terrific,thrilling and filled with surprises that will leave viewers laughing and smiling. A fantastic ending.

The cast is wonderful. Michael J. Fox is excellent and funny as Marty McFly,with Fox bringing laughs and charisma to the role. Christopher Lloyd is brilliant as Dr. Emmett Doc Brown,with Lloyd being delightfully over the top and having a fantastic chemistry with Fox. Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover are wonderful as Lorraine and George McFly,Marty's parents. Thomas F. Wilson is terrific and fun as Biff,a neighborhood bully. James Toklin is great as Mr. Strickland,a hard nosed principal. Claudia Wells(Jennifer),Mark McClure(Dave McFly),Wendie Jo Sperber(Linda McFly),Jeffrey Jay Cohan(Skinhead),Casey Siemaszko(3-D),Billy Zane(Match),George DiCenzo(Sam Baines),Francis Lee McCain(Stella Baines),Harry Waters Jr.(Marvin Berry),Donald Fullilove(Goldie Wilson),Will Hare(Pa Peabody)and Norman Alden(Lou)give good performances as well.

The direction by Robert Zemeckis is amazing,with Zemeckis always moving the camera while giving the film with great camera angles,pace and atmosphere.

The score by Alan Silvestri is outstanding and one of best scores in movie history,with Silvestri's score being epic,suspenseful and uplifting. Incredible score,Silvestri. There is also a great soundtrack featuring songs by Huey Lewis And The News(The Power Of Love and Back In Time).

The Special Effects by Industrial,Light and Magic is dazzling and visual stunning and will blow your mind. Great effects,ILM.

In final word,if you love Comedies,SCI-FI,Robert Zemeckis or Films in general,I highly suggest you see Back To The Future,one of the greatest films ever made and an excellent,unforgettable classic that you will watch again and again. Highly Recommended. 10/10.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shouldn't work...but it does
preppy-329 July 2005
HUGE 1980s hit movie. Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox in his breakthrough role) has a miserable life. His father is a wimp, his mother an alcoholic and they live in a rundown area. His only friend is a crazy scientist (Christopher Lloyd). Lloyd turns a DeLorean into a time machine (don't ask) and Fox accidentally ends up in 1955. He also accidentally fumbles his parents first meeting--so his mom is falling for him! He has to get his parents together...or he won't exist. And how is he going to get back to 1985?

Sounds silly but this actually is a lot of fun. The direction is good and the script is fast and very funny--I LOVED Lloyd's reaction to Reagan being president and Fox dealing with 1950s life. Also the 1950s outfits and cars are incredible. SPOILER!!! It does go a little too far at the end with Fox supposedly inspiring Chuck Berry--but that's a small complaint. END SPOILER!!!

The acting is good. Fox and Lloyd are both great and play off each other very well--some of Fox's dead pan expressions to Lloyds ravings are quite funny. And Fox is so YOUNG! Lea Thompson was excellent playing Fox's mother--she convincingly ages herself AND looks like a teenager. Crispin Glover overdoes it though as Fox's father--TOO over the top. Also great to see Frances Lee McCain playing Thompson's mother--this woman is a great actress and played mothers through many great 1980s film (like "Footloose", "Gremlins", "Stand By Me" and into the 90s with "Scream"). Also Billy Zane (in his first role) appears as a bully--but has no dialogue.

Only two things spoil this a little. The open ending (it ends with "to be continued...") and the constant product placement--I know a lot of movies do it but here it was virtually nonstop! When it starts calling attention to itself that's a problem.

Also Huey Lewis and the News (remember them?) had a big hit with the opening song "The Power of Love". And don't miss Lewis' cute cameo as a teacher at the beginning. I give this a solid 9.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Much Fun
Hitchcoc15 July 2014
Lots of tongue in cheek. Some great characterization. A chance at redemption. These movies showed Michael J. Fox to be a wonderful comedic presence. It is sad what happened to him, but can there be a more impressive example of a person who has overcome the tribulations that life has given him. Whenever I see him in "The Good Wife" as the slimy, underhanded character lawyer he plays, I love that I can "not like" a man who is dealing with devastating Parkinson's. As the principle character in this movie, Marty is shoved from one situation to another in a time he only can guess at. He has to face the youth of his father, a febrile wimp who gets pushed around. Then, of course, there is the wonderful Christopher Lloyd as the professor. While one could never accuse this film of being true science fiction with all the implications of time travel, there is a kind of suspense that works very well. It's pure fun and is the best of the three films in my opinion.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film you can watch time and time again.
BA_Harrison20 November 2010
My DVD of Back To The Future is like my own personal time machine: I hit play on the remote and I'm instantly whisked back to 1985, when hair was big, fashion was fugly, films were fun and I was a mere 17 years of age with my whole adult life ahead of me.

Nostalgia certainly plays a big part in my continued enjoyment of the film, and was clearly at the forefront of the minds of producer Steven Spielberg and director Robert Zemeckis, who delight in recreating the 50s of their youth, but the film is much, much more than a simple trip down memory lane: it's a rollicking adventure, a charming love story, and a brilliant comedy, with a career-defining performance from Michael J. Fox as time-travelling teen Marty McFly, fine support from the lovely Lea Thompson, quirky Crispin Glover and crazy Christopher Lloyd, amazing special effects (for the time) from ILM, and a rocking 80s soundtrack.

A wonderful film that is as fresh and entertaining today, despite its inescapable 80s style, I have no doubt that Back To The Future will continue to captivate audiences young and old well after my generation is history: my kids sure loved it, and I hope that when they have kids of their own, theirs will too. And theirs, and theirs, and theirs...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the finest Sci-Fi movies ever
philip_vanderveken2 August 2005
Even though I'm still convinced that the eighties are one of the worst decades in recent history when it comes to movies and music and even though I never liked Sci-Fi movies, there is one big exception to that rule. In my opinion "Back to the Future" is not only one of the best movies in the genre, it's also in my list of all time favorite movies. When I saw it for the first time, I remember to be blown away by it. But than again, I was only 10 years old, not exactly an age on which you've already seen many really good movies to which you can compare another one. But even now, 20 years after its first release and after I've seen hundreds of movies, I still like it a lot.

It's 1985 and Marty McFly is a typical teenager who doesn't like his parents and who has some problems at school. His best friend is Doc Brown, a weird inventor of all kinds of (useless) machines. But this time he has invented something that is much more interesting. He has created a plutonium-powered time machine based on a DeLorean. But when something goes wrong, Marty is accidentally sent back to 1955, the time in which his parents still were young. Not only has he got to adapt to this entirely new environment, he also has to make sure that nothing is changed, because that might have serious consequences for the future...

I guess the best reason why this movie works so well and feels so timeless is because they don't use the time machine to go forward. Instead of showing us the future, which wouldn't look exactly like it is right now, they have chosen to go back 30 years, a time period which they new very well and could recreate perfectly. If they hadn't done this, the movie would have felt dated one day and no-one would have liked it because it was far from possible. Another good thing about this movie is the acting. Take for instance Michael J. Fox. Not everything that he has done in his career was very successful, but in this movie he shines. I truly believe that this is one of his best performances ever. The same for Christopher Lloyd. Even though his Dr. Emmett Brown looks like if he could have come out of a cartoon, his acting gives the character something likable and makes you forget about that 'problem'.

Overall I really liked this movie a lot. It's one of the finest examples in Sci-Fi movies and I can keep watching it time after time. That's why I believe that this movie doesn't deserve a rating lower than 8/10.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.