Back to the Future (1985) Poster

A classic masterpiece the original the only best my favorite time travel film of all time
ivo-cobra817 April 2017
What can I say about this movie that was already said? It is my favorite time travel sci-fi, adventure epic comedy in the 80's and I love this movie to death! When I saw this movie I was thrown out by its theme. An excellent sci-fi, adventure epic, I LOVE the 80s. It's simple the greatest time travel movie ever happened in the history of world cinema. I love this movie to death, I love, LOVE, love it!

I firstly saw this movie in the early 90's as a kid on VHS tape and I was blow away by the action and the score and the title back to the future. This movie is one of the best masterpiece time travel epic adventure film. Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd are fantastic at acting. Music theme score by Alan Silvestri is excellent I could listen to it whole day.

Back to the Future (1985)

From the Academy Award "- winning team of Steven Spielberg" and Robert Zemeckis** comes the hilariously groundbreaking adventure that thrilled critics and audiences alike - and sparked one of the most successful movie trilogy ever! Directed by Robert Zemeckis the movie begins with Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) a teenager who has a really messed up family. His ultimate goal was to become a rock star which was heartened by his girl friend Jennifer Parker (Claudia Wells). But things went wrong when scientist Dr. Emmett Brown/Doc (Christopher Lloyd) wanted Marty's assistance for his new invention.

At that night Marty went to assist Doc's invention the Time traveling Car "DeLorean". Marty was told to record Doc's first time travel to the future. At that instant they were attacked by some Libyan terrorists who were cheated by Doc for Plutonium.

After killing Doc they turn towards to Marty and without any intention Marty enters the Time Traveling car. But it was previously set by Doc and when activated Marty gets transfer to 1955 from 1985.

What will he do next, will he can come back to the future, or will he stuck back in the past for his rest of the life. More than that will his time travel make serious effects on the future? Dealing with time travel and time paradox Steven Spielberg presents this amazing journey of Marty set up in the time of 80's and 50's. Scripted by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale for the story of Bob Gale himself, tells a science fiction adventure in a family oriented tone.

They really work hard to sculpt that sci-fi thread into a thrilling, culture clashed family movie. A good story with a great script. Also the soul of the movie was given by the legend Alan Silvestri. His composition was all memorable especially in the chasing and emotional scenes. Over the top the theme music, it was the most dazzling and recognizable themes in the movie history.

More than that the casting was simply brilliant, each and every actor is born to play their respected roles in this movie. Michael J. Fox was the only actor who can play the role of energetic Marty McFly, which was considered for numerous actors. Also Thomas F. Wilson was brilliant in his performance as the Bad boy Biff Tannen. Lea Thompson did a great work in portraying Lorraine Baines's two different life times, as a teenage girl and a matured mother. Well the extra talented Christopher Lloyd had almost "chewed every scenes" in the movie. Mr. Lloyd's versatile performance as the madman and genius scientist Dr. Emmett Brown is one of the great memorable roles in his carrier.

Last but not the least, it was Crispin Glover who steal the show as the nerdy teenager/father as George McFly. It was an interesting portrayal as a boy who was transformed to a man. Crispin Glover lived in that part. I don't know whether the movie would be a masterpiece without his unique performance. Above all I want to remember this as a romantic movie and it couldn't be made without the songs "The Power of Love," and "Earth Angel".

The rating I am giving is 10/10 the original and the best one of all time. I love this film, it is my favorite time travel movie of all time and I love it to death! All in all it is the greatest sci-fi, romantic movie of all time. It is the part of the great Movie History, which consider itself as " A Modern/Classic Masterpiece! "
86 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How could anything be more fun than this?
Michael DeZubiria1 June 2000
Back To The Future is such an inventive and exciting piece of filmmaking that it is impossible to forget about it. The casting of every character involved was absolutely perfect, and the performances were spectacular. I first saw this film when I was six years old, and it is the only movie that I know of that I don't think I could ever get sick of.

One of the best things about Back To The Future is that it really makes you think. You can have in-depth conversations about the plausibility of the story-line and spend hours discussing the film. The story is awesome, it is delivered cleverly and entertainingly, and the movie as a whole is just so much FUN that it can be forgiven whatever number of time-travel discrepancies that may be found in the plot.

I cannot recommend this movie enough. I have never found a movie other than this one that provides such a huge dose of great fun, and it has the desirable quality where you are able to see something new each time you see it. The only problem is that they stopped at part III.
413 out of 453 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Time -Travelling Classic
Chrysanthepop29 July 2008
Zemeckis's 'Back To The Future' trilogy has been a childhood favourite for a long time. Having revisited it today, brought me to a nostalgic state. The 80's saw a lot of excellent original fun 'young' films like 'Back To The Future' (of course), 'Better Off Dead', 'Heathers', 'The Breakfast Club' etc. What really made these films immensely enjoyable then, and classics today, is that they really reflected what it was like being a young person in the 80s. The movies themselves were well written, well executed, well acted and they cut straight to the point.

Back to 'Back To The Future'. This one is sheer fun, even today. There's an incredible energy about it but it still manages to stay an 'innocent' film. The music is very effective. It's slick and follows a steady pace. The special effects are decent. Though people might pick on the plausibility of the time travelling, I think this is really a very minor flaw because it is overall a well written movie and the point was to entertain. Yet, this is not to say that it's brainless entertainment. I think it cleverly brings forth some interesting themes and I liked how they funnily used some ideas of Oedipus Rex's story.

The acting is superb overall. Christopher Lloyd as the over-the-top mad scientist is a laugh riot. Michael J. Fox totally owns Marty McFly with his natural charisma, raw energy and brilliant dialogue delivery. Lea Thompson is cute and vivacious and Crispin Glover is good.

'Back To The Future' is one of the most enjoyable time-travelling classics. It's over 23 years old and it still hasn't gotten old. Sadly, they don't make it like this these days but then again we always can revisit them. That's why they're classics.
89 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You gotta come back with me...
James-3928 February 2001
Back To The Future (1985) is my all time favourite movie. It's a thoroughly feel good film, accessible to all ages and enjoyable from the 1st to the 45th time of watching and never fails to bring a smile. Humour for all ages and a kick-ass car to boot, what more could a young kid want? Or those young at heart?

From Marty's "Johnny B Goode" to Doc's classic "Run For It Marty!" You'll find that even though you know what's coming next, you'll still laugh. It is the ultimate feel good movie, the weed overcomes the bully, the dreamers wishes come true and all because a nosey old bird thrusts for a nickel "Save The Clock Tower!"

It's popularity spawned 2 sequels and although it got decreasingly good in terms of quality as a film, Back To The Future remains the best film in my repetoire and a safe bet when you need to feel good.

It gets a solid 9 out of 10, comedy, fantasy, the gorgeous Lea Thompson, the insane but comic Doc and the typical teenager Marty make this film a must for all young at heart.
212 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute Classic
Hannah Sutcliffe21 July 2015
As a child, I used to watch this movie religiously. I loved the chemistry between Doc Brown and Marty McFly, I loved the all too familiar soundtrack and the ridiculous way in which George McFly laughs. This movie has become such a nostalgic and feel-good film for me. I had the good fortunate to see all three 'Back to the Future' movies in cinema last year and it was such an experience to watch this timeless classic with people who enjoy this film as much as I do. Everyone has to see this film at least once in their life! Such an amazing, funny Sci-Fi from the 1980's. I just can't get enough of this movie - it will just never get old. Cannot recommend it enough!
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Let your imagination fly
ad-1718 April 2000
A funny sci-fi? Unusual but here it not only works but does so spectacularly. A whimsical but very clever time travel story that bedazzles you leaving you wanting more.

The charasmatic Michael J Fox plays a wonderful bumbling high schooler searching for love, a guitar gig and his existence which he himself threatens to erase.

Clever and humourous references litter this fun flick; references which are further improved upon in the sequels. Views of the same scenes from different angles, different perspectives and different timelines abound.

Fun for the entire family.
161 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie
mm-3928 November 2004
One of the last movies I went with sister to see back in 86. The film blew my mind. My friends never wanted to see this one. I was happy I went. Many year's latter, I bought "Back to the Future" at Mc Donalds for $2.99 or for some other low price with a meal. The film ages well, and I love it just the same. The director and screen writer mixes science fiction, humor, and action perfectly. A big component of the script is time line theory which drives the story. Marty has many problems to fix, and finds out more than anyone wants to know about their parents. Michael J Fox and Christopher Loyd were excellently casted. Marty and Doc what a chemistry. With the film series one see the many dualities with time travel, that become a constant with the movie. The town clock, being awoke in a strange place, and letters. Keep this in mind when watching the 2 other sequels. The theory that time repeats itself is evident. What a time machine, the Delorian adds to this movie. Worth watch over again. 10 out of 10! Thank you TBS for showing all 3 films.
137 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Part of a the Best Movie Ever
David (DMP-2)11 January 2007
When you talk about Back to the Future, you have to talk about the whole trilogy. Because Zemeckis and Gale didn't make sequels they extended the length of one film, which is very different than a sequel.

The ultimate film must allow the audience feel part of the film and relate to the characters. This film is the best because it takes a fantasy story and makes it adaptable to real-life. I don't know how soon anyone will be able to time-travel, but you can relate to Marty McFly's (Michael J. Fox) reaction to the change. Even if you're not a teenager you can believe it in someway. Back to the Future is the perfect and its been extended into a masterpiece with 2 sequels or extensions as I see it. Definitely a must see, if your pathetic enough not to have seen in at least the last 8 years.

Amazing story by Gale and Zemeckis. Great acting especially by Michael J. Fox, but also great work by Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Tom Wilson. Such an exciting an involved story.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gotta get back in time! Get back Marty!
george.schmidt27 February 2003
BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985) **** Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover, Thomas F. Wilson, Marc McClure, Wendy Jo Sperber. This generation's "It's a Wonderful Life"? Think about it. Very popular and very entertaining sci-fi comedy that made Fox a movie star after success with tv's "Family Ties", casting him, after Eric Stoltz was dropped, as Marty McFly who winds up in a nuclear-powered DeLorean time-machine and is sent back in time to 1955 by his quintessentially eccentric friend Dr. Emmet Brown (Lloyd doing a fine Art Carney). There he meets up with his parents to be and realizes his chance encounters have changed his future and he must see history repeat itself or perish. High-concept hilarity and some truly ingenious schematics thanks to screenwriter Bob Gale and director Bob Zemeckis. Wondering what it would be like to never be born and/or what it would be like if things were different...see what I mean. Oscar-nominated song "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis (who has a fun cameo) fuels this dynamo gem of a film. Classic.
69 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time Travel Movies Are Always Brilliant
Big Movie Fan4 June 2002
Time travel movies never disappoint-that is because the concept of time travel is a very interesting one which most people must have thought about at one time or another. What would happen if you went back in time and an innocuous act changed the course of history for better or worse? It's something to think about.

I won't reveal any plot details for this movie because it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it. Let's just say that Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly ends up back in 1955 where a sequence of events inadvertently orchestrated by Marty threaten his very existence. He is aided by Doc Brown played brilliantly by Christopher Lloyd who tries to get him back to 1985 without causing any damage to the fabric of time.

The movie is great-and I feel it can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their individual tastes in film genres. In fact, I find it hard to believe anyone could dislike a film like this. It has action, adventure, plenty of humour and some cool moments. All the actors involved in the movie play their parts great.

Anyone who watches this movie will love it.
117 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best ever. Period.
Mark Hines22 April 2015
What else needs to be said? Anyone that knows anything about filmmaking knows that this is the best film ever made. Try watching certain movies over and over and see how quickly you get sick of it. This movie is different. The depth and richness of storytelling, the characters, oh my, the characters. Doc Brown is easily one of the best and most memorable on screen characters in any film ever. Biff, Griff, Buford...best on screen bully ever! Compare this movie to other epic movies, such as Star Wars - while those types of movies are great in their own right, Back to the Future is different. There is a warmth and comfort to the way that Bob Gale and Bob Zemekis crafted this screenplay. It's pure genius. And for all of you fans that always have to mention "plot holes" or "minor flaws" - please make sure you have seen every second of the 25th Anniversary set of the trilogy that has an entire bonus disc, as well as more bonus features and two different commentaries on the main discs. Bob Gale is aware of every little detail about his script and talks about it in the commentaries. My true love of this film came as a result of watching all the behind the scenes material - which if you haven't seen, you must see it if you're a fan of this movie. It will give you a whole new level of appreciation for this film. As someone that is into filmmaking and a total nerd about directing, cameras, technical details, I can't get enough of watching and listening to these guys talk about how everything came together just right for this masterpiece to happen. I can't say enough about this film, its actors and all the people involved in making it. Truly something not to be rivaled and we will probably never see anything close to it ever again.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
Jose Cruz15 October 2012
There are though films, that you need to force yourself to pay attention to, before the payoff (the ultimate example being Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev) and there are films that you can simply enjoy effortlessly, such as Back to the Future, one of the best films ever made! Yes, that's right, it surely belongs to the top 100 best films ever, perhaps top 30. I would rank it as among the top 5 comedies ever made and among the top 10 science fiction films ever made as well!

Why? It is so freaking good! The 1980's were indeed the peak of pop culture: films and music only got better and better until they peaked in the mid 1980's and this is the peak right now: the coolest film ever made. It is way better than Raider of the Lost Ark in delivering fun!
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best movies I have ever seen
Ian Thomas9 March 2013
Back to the future is probably one of the best movies if not the best movie I have ever seen. This movie is just fantastic, awesome and flawless. The action and suspense of this movie still excites to this day. You can watch this movie over and over again and still be thrilled. Most likely This is easily one of the best movies ever made. A must watch movie for anybody, any age, even if they aren't a very big movie person. Not much more to say.The movie has almost no flaws at all, and will not disappoint anybody who views it. A true classic that will endlessly entertain anyone. Overall a truly entertaining, memorable and amazing movie with very few flaws. Ten out of Ten stars.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Adventure, Comedy, Romance...Fully packed with Awesomeness!
pmdhar25 July 2014
One of the best movies EVER! Back the The Future is movie on time traveling. Time traveling has always been exciting and fun. I've watched this and About Time which are movies about time traveling and both are awesome. BTTF is TOO Awesome. Couldn't believe this was a 1980s movie.

BTTF trilogy is an incredibly awesome adventure taken by Marty McFly and Dr.Emmett Brown. Dr.Emmett Brown a crazy, funny scientist invents the time machine, the biggest dream of his life. And Marty who is his friend gets to be a part of this awesome adventure by mistake. The best thing about this movie is how it shows whatever happens is bound to happen whether you want or not. And how with change in your attitude or with some help you can completely change your whole life. "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." - Dr. Emmett Brown Back to the Future is an amazing movie. This 1985 movie is so much better in quality as compared to the movies nowadays which have a shallow impact on the audience. You will actually feel connected to the movie and glued to your seats till the end There are not many movies of 8.5-like rating which are packed with Comedy, Drama, Adventure of such level... It's a MUST WATCH for all.

Hope you all enjoy it too. Cheers!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the best 80s film ever.
ciaranbalfe3 November 2005
This film is just one of a kind. The charm and wit are so good it will have you wonder how they came up with such a concept, Michael J Fox is at his best as are the rest of the cast. Humour,comedy, science fiction, this film has it all. This film will remain timeless,I would urge anyone who loves films to add this one to their list now. The special effects are still great looking and look far better then most effects today, your heart will still be in your mouth when Marty races towards the clock tower in a bid to get struck by lightning, this is a film you will watch again and again and will always put a smile on your face.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gets Better With Age
gavin694219 November 2014
A young man (Michael J. Fox) is accidentally sent thirty years into the past in a time-traveling DeLorean invented by his friend, Dr. Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd), and must make sure his high-school-age parents unite in order to save his own existence.

After almost thirty years (2014), this film loses none of its charm, and actually gains respect. The movie has had such a strong impression on everyone, whether they have seen it or not, as it completely permeated pop culture.

The script is genius, not only how it parallels 1955 and 1985 (some of the references are dynamite), but how it set the scene for the sequels (despite allegedly not intending to have any). This is just one clever gag after another, and may require repeated viewings to catch them all.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Part 1-Goodness gracious! Great balls of fire!
Kristine1 December 2006
I just asked my friend that I'm speaking with through instant messenger if he had ever seen "Back to the Future" and he said "Yeah, who hasn't?", sadly, I never had the opportunity until tonite and he called me a failure as a movie buff, well, at least I've seen the movies now! Ha ha! I'm back on track! Well, obviously, this is my first review for the first Back to the Future and when I came her to IMDb, I knew this was a well loved movie, I was just amazed at it being on the top 250, but I can't give it a lower rating because Back to the Future was an excellent film that was ground breaking for it's time and still today.

Marty McFly and his good friend, The Doc, are two science nuts. Marty isn't really happy with his home life and the fact that he and his parents are very square and strict, The Doc calls Marty and shows him his latest invention, his De Lauren that he built into a time machine. When the government go after The Doc and Marty has to get away, he jumps in the car and goes back to the year of 1955, when his parents met. Instead of the way his mom and dad met happening to his dad, he ends up being in the position and mom ends up falling for her son, not even knowing! But he has to make sure his parents are together in time so he can get back without altering the future.

Back to the Future to this day is still a timeless treasure that I notice more and more is becoming part of a newer generation. Michael J. Fox should be proud, his work will be remembered for a long time. Back to the Future worked so well because of the great story and the humor was great, the whole cast worked together and made a terrific movie that will be looked back on thirty years from now and still be considered cool.

48 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure Genius
mjw230515 January 2005
Time travel is a difficult subject to cover in a movie, but Spielberg pulled if off with the Back to the Future trilogy.

Michael J Fox in his finest role as Marty Mcfly and Christopher Lloyd as Doctor Emmett Brown make an unlikely pair, then again a DeLorean makes an unlikely time machine, so i guess it doesn't matter.

OK so there are some plot holes (Marty the youngest Mcfly, dissapearing from the photo last) for example, but the overall impact of the film is so entertaining that bigger plot holes could have been allowed and the film would have been just as good. It's hard say why this movie is so great, or why it still looks as good as it does, even by modern standards (don't forget this is 20 years old) but if it has escaped your viewing then just see it as soon as possible and i'll bet you'll want to see the rest of the trilogy the second you finish watching it.

I think it's just entertainment in its purist form.

A big 9/10
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best movies
benoit-genicot24 October 2014
Back To The Future is a movie about a boy who's 16 and his name is Marty McFly he lives in Hill Valley. He has a friend, a scientist named Emett Brown (a.k.a Doc') and a girlfriend named Jennifer. Marty's dream is to become one of the best guitar players in the world but he thinks about giving this dream up when his band is rejected for the high school prom night. The same day, Doc calls Marty and asks him to come at 1 a.m on a car park in town and at this point, the movie knows an unexpected turn... This movie is one of the best "sci-fi comedies" that I ever seen because it has all the elements to make you laugh and give you some suspense with an extraordinary soundtrack.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The true definition of Classic Movies!
Fred M. Carrito27 September 2008
It's hard to believe it's been 22 years since the original BTTF came out, so the fact that the movie is that old shows it truly is a CLASSIC in every sense of the word. I'm so glad they made this trilogy, what a wild ride it was. It certainly holds up to the test of time because it's just as fun to watch it now as it was back in '85. The world has changed so much since then and watching these movies is a nice escape from today's nerve wrecking reality. I wish I could get my hands on Doc's time machine so I could go back in time to fix the mistakes I made in my life... who doesn't!?! Cherish these movies and show them to your kids and grandkids... they will love them so much you can count on them sharing the adventure of Marty Mcfly and Doc well into their FUTURE!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Lost Blockbuster
Angry_Arguer3 July 2003
Back to the Future is one of those rare, almost forgotten, pieces of pop culture that, surprisingly, draws little attention to itself. Unlike such notable gimmicks as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, and Independence Day, there aren't any low-budget leeches trying to imitate off this work and cash-in on its success. This is due to the near flawless script. Why it didn't win an Oscar, you're guess is as good as mine. Making a time-travel storyline as in this movie that doesn't fall into plot holes the size of Terminator's is exceptionally difficult. I'd know.

The film starts slow, and gradually accelerates as it progresses. You could almost call it a Jerry Bruckheimer movie for kids with Spielberg's trademark nostalgia. The characters themselves are typical stereotypes for a movie like this and none of them, not even Marty himself, gel with potential. In some ways it's as if MAD magazine made the film in an attempt to be serious.

With such an automotive obsession as this film has, one must wonder if George Lucas was involved.

Overall, I have to praise this movie for its inventiveness and originality, even if it created most of our time-travel cliches. 4 out of 5 stars. Well worth your time.
160 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
rare 80s joy
TheNorthernMonkee17 October 2005
SPOILERS When you build a time machine, it just has to be a Deloren really. The corrupt car manufacturer's ultimate advert for his death trap vehicle, "Back to the Future" was your regular 1980s classic. Well written, entertaining to watch and with a killer soundtrack, it's a film which has managed to survive the test of time. Released midway through one of the most irrelevant decades in history, this Michael J Fox driven piece is great.

When Dr Emmett Brown (Christopher Lloyd) creates a time machine, he's made his greatest, and most risky invention. Shot for stealing the plutonium power source, Brown's invention undertakes it's first major expedition with young Marty McFly (Fox) behind the wheel. Travelling back thirty years to the 1950s, Marty finds himself in his home town of Hill Valley and in the company of his lovestruck mother (Lea Thompson) and useless father (Crispin Glover). Destroying their entire relationship, Marty manages to completely screw up his entire future. Still, with no way to get home, and a school bully on the prowl, he's got all the time in the world to fix it.

Perhaps the one set of films that Robert Zemeckis will ever be remembered for, "Back to the Future" and it's two sequels will forever be remembered as an entertaining piece of cinema. From the opening of the film where Fox glides around the fictional town of Hill Valley to the sound of Huey Lewis' "Power of Love", you can tell what decade it is, and yet you continue to watch.

It might be harsh to really slate the 1980s as much as we do, after all, we did get entertaining films like "Ghostbusters", "Ferris Bueller's Day Out" and "The Breakfast Club", but for every one good film, there were so many dire productions. A bit like the current box office climate, you knew that the majority were a disappointing mess, but there would always turn up one rare beauty. "Back to the Future" is one of those.

Led by some straight forward but solid performances, the film just has something about it. The witty notion of the hypocritical mother and her secret youth, that one magnificent scene where Michael J Fox performs "Johnny B Goode" at the school prom and Marvin Berry (Harry Waters Jnr) phones his cousin Chuck, all add together to leave you with a huge grin on your face. It's an icon for an age, and for once it makes you grateful for the decade.

Robert Zemeckis has never really found the highs of the "Back to the Future" trilogy (1994's "Forrest Gump" is his only other major success) since the final part was released in 1990. Ultimately though, there are worse positions to be in. A rare joy in an otherwise dire decade, this film and the continuing parts, was an entertaining piece of cinema which left you happy and content. It's perfect afternoon viewing, and the one surprise is that it isn't shown more often.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made. An Excellent And Unforgettable Classic.
jcbutthead8623 November 2015
Back To The Future is one greatest films ever made,an excellent and unforgettable classic that combines terrific direction,a wonderful cast,an amazing score and soundtrack,a fantastic script and great special effects. All of those elements make Back To The Future one of the best films of the 1980s that is Popcorn entertainment at it's best.

Set in the fictional town of Hill Valley,California,Back To The Future tells the story of teenager Marty McFly(Michael J. Fox). who is asked by his friend eccentric scientist Dr. Emmett Brown(Christopher Lloyd)to help him on experiment a time machine made out of a Delorean car. After an unfortunate incident Marty gets into the time machine and is accidentally transported back to 1955 where he not only meets Dr. Brown but also meets his parents George(Crispin Glover)and Lorraine(Lea Thompson)as teenagers. With the help of Dr. Brown Marty must find a way to get back to the year 1985.

Released in 1985,Back To The Future is a brilliant and entertaining film that was without a doubt the biggest Box Office hit of 1985 grossing over 300 million dollars world wide and is just an instant classic from the moment you watch it and is one of those movies that is the definition of what a blockbuster should be and where everything from the direction,the cast and story work to absolute perfection with no false note or missing beat. I don't think director Robert Zemeckis or the cast knew what they had was something that was special,magical and timeless and can be enjoyed by people of all ages and will continue to be enjoyed by past,present and future generations. The movie is also the first feature of one of the most beloved movie trilogies of all-time and while all three Back To The Future films are classics as a whole the first is still the best. What Back To The Future does so well is that it takes the time travel movie and gives it style and creativity mixing together different movie genres Comedy,SCI-FI,Action,Romance and thrills giving viewers everything but the kitchen sink but the movie never becomes uneven or confusing making Back To The Future one of the best genre mash-up movies I have ever seen. Although there are some serious moments Back To The Future is lighthearted with non-stop fun From beginning to end,Back To The Future has an energy and flow that just never stops and keeps you glued to the screen with relentless pace and excitement that makes the film re-watchable and iconic to this very day. The screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale is incredible and quotable with tons memorable scenes and dialog that are funny done with perfection and fun as well with ingenious style and rapid fire delivery that is wonderful. The Comedy and laughs in BTTF are hilarious and fun with moments that are over the top and great thanks to the actions and reactions of Marty and Doc Brown and the main characters. The SCI-FI scenes in BTTF involving the Delorean are so dazzling and are done with imagination and beauty that will make your jaw drop and it doesn't matter how many times you see BTTF you will be blown away by the Delorean sequences. There have been many classic movie duos throughout cinema and among the great duos are Marty and Doc. The scenes between Marty and Doc are truly funny with terrific back and forth banter and have some of the best scenes in the film that are unforgettable. While the two are different in personality and are separated by age the two have a friendship that feels genuine and real where you feel that Marty and Doc would have each other's back at all costs. The friendship between Marty and Doc is further cemented in Part II and III where you feel they will be friends forever whether it's in the future or in the present. Marty and Doc are two amazing and memorable characters that will never be forgotten. The ending of Back To The Future is terrific,thrilling and filled with surprises that will leave viewers laughing and smiling. A fantastic ending.

The cast is wonderful. Michael J. Fox is excellent and funny as Marty McFly,with Fox bringing laughs and charisma to the role. Christopher Lloyd is brilliant as Dr. Emmett Doc Brown,with Lloyd being delightfully over the top and having a fantastic chemistry with Fox. Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover are wonderful as Lorraine and George McFly,Marty's parents. Thomas F. Wilson is terrific and fun as Biff,a neighborhood bully. James Toklin is great as Mr. Strickland,a hard nosed principal. Claudia Wells(Jennifer),Mark McClure(Dave McFly),Wendie Jo Sperber(Linda McFly),Jeffrey Jay Cohan(Skinhead),Casey Siemaszko(3-D),Billy Zane(Match),George DiCenzo(Sam Baines),Francis Lee McCain(Stella Baines),Harry Waters Jr.(Marvin Berry),Donald Fullilove(Goldie Wilson),Will Hare(Pa Peabody)and Norman Alden(Lou)give good performances as well.

The direction by Robert Zemeckis is amazing,with Zemeckis always moving the camera while giving the film with great camera angles,pace and atmosphere.

The score by Alan Silvestri is outstanding and one of best scores in movie history,with Silvestri's score being epic,suspenseful and uplifting. Incredible score,Silvestri. There is also a great soundtrack featuring songs by Huey Lewis And The News(The Power Of Love and Back In Time).

The Special Effects by Industrial,Light and Magic is dazzling and visual stunning and will blow your mind. Great effects,ILM.

In final word,if you love Comedies,SCI-FI,Robert Zemeckis or Films in general,I highly suggest you see Back To The Future,one of the greatest films ever made and an excellent,unforgettable classic that you will watch again and again. Highly Recommended. 10/10.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The PERFECT film
rob towner13 August 2014
I have been re-watching this film for the past few decades and it never ceases to disappoint, proving to be a timeless classic. Is one of the few films that have tackled the impossibly complicated theme of time travel in an easy to understand manner.

The BACK TO THE FUTURE trilogy is also one of the few special set of three films that tie in perfectly together. They were not tacked on as a result of the first film achieving box-office success. Rather, they exist as perfectly complimentary films, vital for the complete story arc of each character to unfold.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this