This Is Spinal Tap (1984) Poster

Still the funniest rock'n'roll movie ever, and one of the best DVDs on the market.
Infofreak9 October 2002
'This Is Spinal Tap' has been part of my life for so many years that it's hard to remember a time when I hadn't seen it. Having recently bought it on DVD and rewatched it for the nth time I was once again struck and just how clever and amusing this movie is. Christopher Guest and friends are not only very talented comedians with an amazing ability to improvise, but they know their music, and this is the real strength of the movie. Even though I have almost memorized every scene and joke it's STILL funny to me no matter how many times I watch it. Not only is the movie itself a classic, but the DVD is one of the best buys around with plenty of extras, deleted scenes, many as good as those chosen, and best of all a hilarious commentary by Tufnel, St Hubbins and Smalls which is even funnier than the movie itself. In fact it's the most entertaining DVD commentary track I've heard to date. This movie is a comedy classic, and easily the sharpest rock'n'roll parody ever made. If you haven't seen it before you're in for a treat! Absolutely essential viewing for all rock'n'roll fans, metal or otherwise!
118 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smell the Glove!
freenachos5 November 2002
The humor of "This is Spinal Tap" has a special time-release formula. I didn't find myself rolling on the floor laughing the first time I saw this but as the day went on my friends and I couldn't stop recalling the dialogue. This movie is a legend.

"See Spinal Tap" should be written in the dictionary next to satire. Lately satire has come to mean a simple mockery of pop-culture instead of "human vice or folly attacked through irony, derision or wit". Movies like "Scary Movie" claim to be parodies or satire without even trying to be witty. They just imitate something as opposed to commenting on it. True satire takes a bit more work by the writers and will make you laugh much harder.

Spinal Tap gives you the absurdity of the rock and roll world, yet still respects the music. I understood this when I saw a clip of the movie for the first time at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was the scene with amps that go to "11". I couldn't stop thinking about that scene until I finally saw the movie. Every aspect of the music world is lampooned; arrogance, absurdity, backstage crybabies, has-beenism, volume, even the Beatles. This movie is quoted like the Simpsons, which isn't always good but certainly proof of legendary movie. It's dry, deadpan humor and it may take a day to sink in but this movie is hilarious.
62 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Band On The Run
slokes13 January 2004
The gritty, unpretty reality of rock music is on display in director Marty DiBergi's unsparing rockumentary "This Is Spinal Tap," which chronicles the British metal band's tour through the United States in the latter part of 1982.

Cold sores, drugs, late-night debauchery, and the brutal snubbing of a Sinatra-loving chauffeur are just some of the antics on display, in what could be the most penetrating and uncensored examination of the rock n' roll lifestyle since "Gimme Shelter." Whereas that movie features one grainy, out-of-focus killing, this film actually shows the band's drummer spontaneously combusting on stage! And apparently this was the second time that happened (or maybe I'm thinking of the drummer they lost to an unexplained gardening accident, I'm a little unclear.)

DiBergi hasn't made a movie since "Spinal Tap," which is a shame. No chance he'll make a sequel though. In the 2000-issue DVD, band members Nigel Tufnel, David St. Hubbins, and Derek Smalls make clear that they feel betrayed by DiBergi's work, calling it "a hatchet job" and hinting that his jealousy about not being the sixth band member caused him to show only the band's bad side. For example, we see in the movie Spinal Tap backstage at Cleveland's legendary Xanadu Star Theater wandering fruitlessly through a warren of back corridors trying to find their way onto the stage. Nine times out of ten the band found their way on stage without problem, as they point out on the commentary track, but DiBergi has to show the one time they don't.

Murphy's Law seems to predominate elsewhere, too, like when Nigel's back gives out in the middle of a blistering solo, or Derek is trapped in a giant peapod prop for an entire song. Viewers of a particularly cruel disposition may even find some cause for amusement when a misunderstanding in Austin, Texas leads to the band performing their legendary number "Stonehenge" in front of a model of the ancient monument that barely comes up to the drummer's kit. Maybe they could have gotten away with it if they didn't let the dwarfs come onstage and dance alongside it, but the result, as St. Hubbins notes, is almost "a comedy number, and I didn't bloody appreciate being part of the comedy."

The band struggles on, and perceptive viewers may detect a slight note of friction between Tufnel and Jeanine, St. Hubbins's girlfriend, for example when Tufnel throws his guitar down on stage, stares at Jeanine accusingly for a minute, and then quits the band. Misogynists will say Jeanine is the kind of rock wife that 'puts the yoke in Yoko,' but they shallowly ignore her tambourine-playing, or her fearless use of red satin as a pant fabric.

Admittedly, Jeanine is less on point as a manager, as an early gig under her control at an amusement park finds them billed under their opening act. 'If I told them once, I told them a thousand times,' she muses. 'Put the band's name first, puppet show after.'

But the band soldiers on, and by the end, you will be glad you stuck around, too, rough as it is to see the harshness on screen. It's the kind of documentary that demands periods of quiet reflection to take it all in, to register the pain, sweat, and unpleasant odors behind the entertainment we too often take for granted on the radio.

Sadly, the film doesn't feature a complete version of Spinal Tap standards 'Hell Hole' or the big-in-Japan 'Sex Farm.' We do get a full-throated version of the classic 'Big Bottom,' a power ballad which examines the seat of female beauty with a wry Steely Dan-type lyrical subtlety: 'Big Bottom/Big Bottom/Talk about mud flaps/My girl's got 'em.'

Why don't they make songs like that any more? I give this film a 9 out of 10, but with the DVD commentary, you gotta boost that to 11. Rock on, Tap!
110 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves its fame
zetes31 July 2000
Spinal Tap has been called one of the funniest movies ever made by many people over the years. I had always been familiar with it. I was very familiar with almost 70% of the scenes: the amplifier that goes to 11, the Stonehenge dance, the inability to find the way onstage in Cleveland. Plus, when it was first released on VHS, I had rented and loved Fear of a Black Hat, a mockumentary about a rap group which more or less rips off every scene of This Is Spinal Tap. After finally sitting down with This Is Spinal Tap, I am still a fan of Fear of a Black Hat (and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't heard of it), but it can not come close to touching the genius of the collective vision of Rob Reiner, Christopher Guest, Micheal McKean and Harry Shearer. I laughed pretty much constantly, and belly laughs, all through the film. It does kind of slow down nearer the end with the bands falling apart (i.e., the plot gets in the way of the documentary), but there was never a scene in the film that didn't have something hilarious. I have to give this film 10/10. This Is Spinal Tarp, er, um, I mean Tap is one of the funniest comedies ever made.
84 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughs at '11'; one of the greatest comedies ever filmed!
george.schmidt23 April 2003
THIS IS SPINAL TAP (1984) **** Rob Reiner, Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, Harry Shearer (Cameos: Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey, Fran Drescher, Paul Shaffer, Howard Hesseman, Ed Begley, Jr., Fred Willard, Angelica Huston {note spelling!} ).

Hysterically funny and dead-on "rockumentary" spoof of absurd documentaries and lame so-called rock groups with wicked satirical approach and clever camera shots as well. Directed by Reiner (his debut) with accurate depiction of super-inflated egos, pompous hangers-on and hilarious intimate moments with great dialogue thanks to the improvisations of the trio who reportedly worked from no screenplay. Best moment: Spinal Tap trying to find the stage. And I personally agree with the keyboardist's philosophy of "Have a good time, all the time".
65 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hilarious little spoof - wit rather than clumsy stuff
bob the moo1 January 2004
In 1982 the world's loudest band is about to undertake it's comeback tour of America to coincide with the release of the new album. The group, Spinal Tap, is accompanied by documentary filmmaker Marti DeBergi on what turns out to be a fateful chapter in the band's colourful history.

Despite what anyone else tells you, this is easily one of the most quotable movies made and is just as funny today as it was when it was made, unless you are so out of touch with the world that it affectionately spoofs. The film is almost a tragedy so well does it chronicle the absurd collapse of the band. However, regardless of the hows and whats, the comedy is in the characters and the sharp dialogue. While most of the specific action is really funny, it is best during the backstage arguments and the candid interviews.

The dialogue is fantastic from start to finish and is made better by a superb cast delivering absurd lines with a straight face! McKean, Guest and Shearer are the strongest of the cast have most of the best lines. The support cast is also crammed with cameos from such people as Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal, Begley Jnr, Macnee, Paul Shaffer, Anjelica Huston and others. Reiner excels as director, writer and documentarian, the film has his hands all over it.

Overall this is a great film, so much has been said about it that I won't go on any longer. While it is not an out and out spoof like Naked Gun, this film is wittier as the comedy comes from the dialogue and the sheer imagination of the writing!
46 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cult classic
rbverhoef14 October 2004
By many seen as the favorite cult classic (together with 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show') 'This is Spinal Tap' is truly a comedy masterpiece. The rockumentary about fake band Spinal Tap seems so honest and serious that the slightest joke gets a huge laugh. We follow the band together with a documentary filmmaker, played by director Rob Reiner, on a tour that must make sure they will have a comeback. We see some of their shows where things go wrong, we see how they argue about the cover of their album, and we see how a girlfriend almost destroys the band.

The movie handles all these events as serious as possible, presenting itself as a real documentary about a real band. The fact that the band members are not too bright makes it funny. Especially the scene where the lead singer talks about an amplifier that goes to eleven instead of ten and therefore produces louder sounds is hilarious. The scene where the band plays on a Stonehenge stage is a classic, very memorable.

Writer Christopher Guest recently wrote and starred in 'Best in Show' (2000) and 'A Mighty Wind' (2003), two hilarious and terrific fake documentaries, the so-called mockumentaries, but 'This is Spinal Tap' stays the classic example. He and his co-writers, including director Reiner, have created the ultimate cult classic.
45 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On the fine line between stupid and clever... kind of like lukewarm water
edantheman7 March 2007
Not too long ago, my classmates and I were allowed to bring in a DVD of our choice as it was nearing the end of the school term. Knowing that these pop culturists wouldn't be too happy to watch one of my 'arty cult films', I didn't give a shite and brought in 'This is Spinal Tap'. They quite happily agreed to put it on after I told them it was funny and had swearing in it. But soon, boredom started to sink in with the class. "Crap", they labelled it. "Boring", they yelled. After less than ten minutes, my teacher was changing the disk to, wait for it… 'The Others'. One of my chums, being a fan of the film, dismissed them as idiots. However, I told him it was all a matter of taste and that they would be much happier settling down to watch their 40-year-old virgins and American pies than this more subtly-coloured tin of paint. So as I walked over to the front of the classroom, tail between my legs, to pick up my DVD my teacher leaned over and said, "Don't worry, I liked it. You have to be cultured to enjoy this sort of thing." And you know what, she's right.

To be quite frank, 'Spinal Tap' is just like marmite. You'll either love everything about it or hate every frame of it. Some people say it's like watching wet paint dry, others say it was so funny it gave them a hernia. I definitely fall into that latter category. After the umpteenth viewing, I still find it painfully hilarious!

But that's not the only reason for seeing it. It's also a totally accurate, observational and witty deconstruction of rock's strutting pretensions. If you're someone who thinks rock bands take themselves far too seriously, you need this movie. If, on the other hand, you feel like rock stars should forever be treated like gods and worshipped on a regular basis, you might just want to avoid this. After all, when Aerosmith's Steven Tyler had finished watching it he said he just felt like he wanted to throw himself off a cliff! It reveals the utter shallowness of rock 'n' roll without even flinching!

If you're also a lover of in-your-face laugh-out-loud got-it-straight-away humour, just stay away. Far, far away. This is intellectual stuff. You have to possess intelligence to enjoy it. I've never met any stupid people who did enjoy this film.

Director Rob Reiner really shows how broad his range is with this (his best in my opinion!), bringing every authentic detail, no matter how seemingly minor, to the screen effortlessly with a wonderfully sharp cast. Its still a challenge to get my head around the fact that this is from the same tubby Santa Claus look-alike who made 'The Princess Bride' and 'Stand By Me'! Reiner has always been a man with extraordinarily wide horizons and always will be, constantly entertaining cinema-goers with so many different stories!

The film's fly-on-the-wall mockumentary style works wonders, getting some beautiful performances from its actors (namely Michael McKean and Christopher Guest) and adding to its 'natural' feel. Many films, mainly British ones, have imitated this style ever since. Even one of the film's actors and co-writers has stuck to the hip of this film for the most part of his career, coming up with new and even more outlandish 'mockumentaries' to entertain and sate his legion of followers.

On each viewing, you'll erupt into laughter at the discovery of a new joke. Then for weeks on end, you'll be quoting it to your friends and everyone you know. It's like a treasure trove without a bottom!

To finish this not-so-critical analysis, I can never find any fault or flaw even after the innumerable viewings I've had. I never get bored of it either. I think the reason I like this so much is, honestly, because it was made for people like me!
52 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hello Cleaveland! Still one of the funniest films ever and even better on DVD
Quinoa198428 May 2001
Spinal Tap seemed funny the first time I saw it, but I never got all the jokes. Now though, I saw it through and through and I loved it even more (especially on DVD where the extras are hilarious). Nearly every gag in the movie is dead pan funny, from the cover of "Smell the Glove" (just the description will make you laugh) to all the others including the three piece guitar solo, the animal costumes ("this is what you'll look like as a crab" is the funniest line of the 80's next to "Frank, they're not here for you, Weird Al is on the plane" in Naked Gun), the backstage food, (of course) the amp that goes to 11 and the 18 inch stonehenge. Satire at one of it's best, and it's excellent. Cameos include Bruno Kirby, Billy Crystal, Dana Carvey, Paul Schaffer and Anjelica Houston. Other best line: you can not do free flow jazz odyssey in front of a festival crowd! A+
72 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rockumentary is a mockumentary
Hermit C-228 May 1999
This is FANTASTIC! Writers Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer in collaboration with director Rob Reiner have created a satire so dead-on its target that it might be scary if it wasn't so hilarious.

Filmmaker Marty DiBergi, taking a break from dog food commercials, is determined to capture the sights, sounds and smells of his favorite rock group, the legendary Spinal Tap, on their latest U.S. tour. They're a 20-year old heavy metal outfit from England centering around lead singer David St. Hubbins (McKean), lead guitarist Nigel Tufnel (Guest) and bass guitarist Derek Smalls (Shearer). The rest of the band is a revolving door of personnel including a series of unlucky drummers who have met with bizarre demises. The new tour is the first the band has made of America in years, and unfortunately the they seem to have lost about as many fans as they've lost brain cells. When asked if the smaller venues that the band is playing on this tour means they are losing popularity, manager Ian Faith (Tony Hendra) quickly dismisses the idea. The band's fans are just becoming more "selective," he says.

Still, the group is received well at their initial shows--that is if the gig hasn't been canceled, if their balky stage props don't malfunction, and if the band can find its way to the stage from their dressing rooms. But the tour is one disaster following another. Fans don't show up for autograph sessions at record stores. Radio stations play their oldies and ask, "where are they now?" To top things off, David's girlfriend Jeanine (June Chadwick), the band's Yoko Ono, arrives. She soon starts contributing her ideas, such as having the band dress in fantasy creature costumes and recording their music "in Dubly."

Even with all this trouble, the band feels things will pick up if they can just get their new album released. But Polymer Records refuses to distribute "Smell the Glove" with its lurid cover art. Eventually it's released with a solid black record sleeve, with nary a word or picture on it. This turns out to be a reverse image of the Beatles' white album in appearance, artistic success and sales. The band sinks so low as to be billed second to a puppet show at a theme park. The pressures are just too much and as the tour limps to a close the long life of Spinal Tap seems at an end. But rock & roll is a funny business...

Throughout we're treated to the band's rock & roll wisdom and philosophy. For instance, Nigel lets Marty in on one of the reasons for their success--loud amplifiers. While the volume settings on other bands' equipment might just go to 10, theirs goes to 11! Asked if there's really a difference, Nigel replies, "Yeah, well it's like... one louder, innit?"

There are tons of cameos by all sorts of people, including some funny portrayals of PR flacks by Fran Drescher and Paul Shaffer. This is a brilliant comedy that, despite all the parody, loves its subject. Treat yourself to it.
56 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be on the Top 100 of all time
amitjusc4 August 2007
I have seen this movie more times than any other movie ever. When I was 12 or 13, my brother rented it and we watched it 3 times in the same day. At first, I hated it because I didn't know any better, and my brother never "helped" me figure out why it was funny. The second time I watched it, I "got it" and have never been the same person ever since.

First off, the entire film is ad-libbed except for the songs and a few lines; which is the reason that people are talking over each other a lot, requiring repeated viewings to catch everything. It is in documentary format, so it all works for this type of film. The songs are hysterical but catchy at the same time, just like real 80's arena rock and hair metal (well some of it). It certainly helps to be a fan of the rock genre to enjoy the film, or you will miss out on some significant references and the basis for each of the band members.

There are no dull moments in this brisk, 82-minute film, and the sheer number of hysterical cameos (including Fran Drescher, Billy Crystal, Bruno Kirby, Howard Hesseman, Paul Shaffer and Anjelica Huston) kicks the film up to 11 as they all put in stellar performances.

This film should be in the Top 100, no question. On my list, it would be in the Top 10. Of course, American History X is currently rated #41, so that tells you something about the IMDb rating system.
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must Have Been Hard To Keep A Straight Face
ccthemovieman-123 June 2007
Overall, this was a pretty good farce about a washed-up English rock group. It's played as a mockumentary, (a fake documentary) with director Rob Reiner playing the role of the interviewer of the band. If it wasn't a movie in which you can retake scenes, I am sure we would have seen him laugh a number of the "serious" questions he asked this stupid band. I would think it would hard not to laugh in a number of places, because he plays a very serious interviewer. I'm sure he did many times.

There are funny moments in here. The only part I really didn't like was near the end when the bickering of the band got out of control. Their constant arguing gets tough to take after awhile. That's another problem here; there are no appealing characters. This British band is not comprised of nice guys, and I also found their accents tough to understand. If this is out on DVD with English subtitles, it might be worth a second look.

The music was fair, nothing to rave about. Overall, I enjoyed the movie but didn't find it anywhere as great as most critics described it. It's okay, but not that funny.

One of the writers, Christopher Guest, has gone on to make several "mockumentaries." He has done quite well with that genre, better than Reiner. I've seen them all, and Guest's comedies are all entertaining to various degrees.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spinal Tap
skippymolloy16 December 2003
I recieved Spinal tap as Christmas gift a couple years ago. I loved but recently I started watching the Nanny on lifetime and got nostagic for spinal tap and now I can't stop watching the show it just makes me laugh at all the sly ways it pokes fun at this lovable industry. But as fellow fan I am outraged that the first user comment for this group is comment that declares this movie as overrated. If you like toilet humor then well thats your thing, but this movie stands on its on sly wit not just obscene visual gags attacking minorties in our society. This movie made fun of white grown up men living out adolescent dreams. After all they didn't even show the Smell Glove cover, and yet just the words from Bobbie's mouth made it hillarious.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only rockumentary you ever need to see
luckylefty2825 November 2000
I will never be able to see another rockumentary again without laughing myself sick. This movie hits its target dead on. I don't know how the actors kept a straight face through reciting their lines. The scene where Rob Reiner is discussing the rock critics analysis of their albums is the funniest scene I can remember in any movie. I mean "s*** sandwich" that made me laugh for 10 minutes straight. I wonder how long it will take to get that Hell Hole song out of my brain!
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excess all areas
Lejink5 September 2008
The IMDb Key Plot-words says it all really...how many movies can you think of which list "cucumber" as one of its key words? In case you haven't seen it by the way, afore-mentioned cucumber is the culmination of only one of several hilarious sight gags in this priceless send-up of the early 80's rock industry. It's almost as much fun trying to work out just which naff bands from that era Spinal Tap are based on...me, I can obviously see references to Black Sabbath (complete with Sharon Osbourne-type interfering wife-cum-manager!) and veteran UK boogie-merchants Status Quo with their psychedelic beginnings and twin-guitarist, intellectually-challenged duo of Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt, heck they seem to almost prophesy Van Halen and they got to the Black Album years before Metallica! Everybody plays it dead straight which garners maximum comic effect and the set-piece gags are brilliantly set up and deliver big laughs every time. Favourite scenes...? Too many to count but how about the band getting lost on the way to the stage of a dingy Stateside university, harmonising at Graceland, the finger-sandwich scene, the miniature Stonehenge backdrop, replete with to-scale dancing druid-dwarfs, not forgetting the pod-busting sequence. The ridiculously over-the-top sexist lyrics to the Iron Maiden riffed songs will also crack you up. I've actually no time at all for the heavy-metal genre of music, especially its early 80's spandex era so scathingly targeted here (Whitesnake anyone?) and sometimes wonder if true HM fans are in on the joke even as they laugh along with the rest of us... Either way, a spoof movie of the rock scene which sets the gold standard for all succeeding "rockumentaries" (serious and comic!) just as "Airplane" and "The Naked Gun", to name but two did for disaster movies and cop-shows respectively.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
STILL the best mockumentary of all time; Best in Show(2000) by most of the same actors is merely a distant second. 10/10. Baby spoilers.
lizziebeth-114 March 2003
`We don't....we're....we're not university material.'

Just get the Special Edn right now-if you don't, you'll be missing half the movie. Literally. The half that was deleted for theatrical release is every bit as good, and fresh, as the half that was kept.

The actors' talents will blow you away. Not only do Michael McKean as David St.Hubbins and Christopher Guest as Nigel Tufnel have impeccable East-Ender English accents (tragically, Harry Shearer's accent as Derek Smalls keeps slipping back into his real Yank), but the actors pick up their old-pair-of-jeans personas 16yrs later for the audio commentary.

It's as if Spinal Tap never `retired'.

`In the 1990s the fictitious group reunited for a series of concerts and a TV special' (Leonard Maltin). Naturally, for years I thought Tap were a real band: with an authentic logo, a 1980s white-trash-rocker-look with long, heavy-metal hair, skeleton-emblazoned sleeveless T-shirts and lurid lycra hotpants, they're indistinguishable from real rockers of the day.

They even nail a 1960s soundalike clip, 'Listen to the Flower People'. Shame we never see its follow-up song, 'Again with the Flower People'-its title alone implies hilarity. During DiBergi's `rockumentary', Tufnel also plays a gorgeous, tinkly `Mach' piano solo, which he has unfortunately called 'Lick my Love-Pump'.

All their video clips are credible, except for 'Stonehenge' (St.Hubbins' defense is to blame their manager: `...but you're not as confused as Nigel-are you?').

It was a lot of fun getting fooled, but discovering it was all bogus makes them seem all the more talented, and hilarious!

Their very first drummer, John 'Stumpy' Peeps (Ed Begley Jr) supposedly died `in a freak gardening accident'. His replacement died by choking on vomit. `Actually, he choked on someone else's vomit', adds Tufnel in a DiBergi interview. During their Flower People period Peter 'James' Bond apparently `exploded on stage' in a green puff of smoke. His replacement also `exploded'. 'Tap now think they despatched something like 37 drummers over the years.

The boys are indeed screamingly funny (listen closely to the dialogue). Infuriatingly, Leonard Maltin thinks they aren't funny enough, despite calling their effort `cunning satire'. Their humour is extreme improv, which cannot afford too many over-the-top lines, lest it jeopardizes our suspension of disbelief!

Spinal Tap are dopey repulsivos narcissistically convinced of their own relevance. The actors play them completely straight, which requires timing that never slips up. Mockumentaries take enormous discipline and talent. Clearly McKean, Guest & Shearer could do St.Hubbins, Tufnel & Smalls till the cows came home. (There's about an hour's worth of additional 1984 footage on the Special Edition DVD; plus the brand new audio commentary recorded 16yrs later).

The director of the `rockumentary', Marty DiBergi (actually the co-writer of the script, the songs, actor, and also the real director, Rob Reiner), remains admirably skeptical in reporting Tap's comprehensive lack of success during their comeback tour of America, ie now that their appeal has become `more selective'.

He probes their pasts, asks the relevant questions, and reads out `published reviews' of their previous albums:

*'Intravenus DeMilo': `The tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growthrate of this band cannot even be charted; they're treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry', to which the boys retort, `That's nitpicking!'

*'Shark Sandwich': `This had a 2-word review. Sh!t sandwich.'

DiBergi then goes on to observe that `the makeup of your audience seems to be young...boys'. St.Hubbins+Tufnel explain: `Well, it's a sexual thing, really. Aside from the identifying the boys do with us, there's also a reaction of the female(s) to our music....' Tufnel: `Really, they're quite fearful. They see us on stage, with tight trousers; we've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers!....it's quite frightening, the size; and they run, screaming' (watch McKean almost lose it for real at Guest's `armadillo' improv).

Tap's litany of embarrassing stage accidents (over&above the despatched drummers) include Nigel overextending backwards and getting stuck; their stage-effect `pods' seizing up with Derek inside while stagehands feverishly hammer away; and sound interference from an airbase transmission tower. But the never-to-be-forgotten CLASSIC is when the band gets lost underground, trying to find the stage door. Of course, this scene has since been paid homage by legitimate bands such as The Rolling Stones, admitting the same thing happening to them in real life!

The list of cameos includes Fran Drescher as Bobbie Flekman the Polymer Records hostess; Dana Carvey and Billy Crystal as mime waiters in whiteface (backstage, Crystal, the head waiter, in an apparently throwaway role, bosses the unrecognizable Carvey around with `Mime is money! Move it!'); Patrick MacNee as Sir Dennis; Crystal's real-life friend Bruno Kirby as that limo driver enamoured of Frank Sinatra; Joyce Hyser from Just One of the Guys as Brenda the brunette groupie; Anjelica Huston as the Stonehenge modelmaker; and as mentioned, Ed Begley Jr as 'Stumpy' Peeps.

No `rockumentary' would be complete without the obligatory group breakup, hysterical tantrums and overbearing girlfriends; but Tap's level of talent and commitment seems to prick the bubbles of all heavy-metal bands.

The credits roll-at 1hr:16mins-much too soon, because the movie is still going. DiBergi is still interviewing them, asking, `Do you feel your music is racist?' St.Hubbins and Tufnel rebuff this with `No, 'course not, we say `Love your brother'-well, we don't say it, really'; `...We don't literally say it...we don't literally mean it...'-a line that always slays me. THIS line is MY fav., not Maltin's one about the amplifier dial that `goes up to 11'-which for me is only the 2nd-funniest.

TiST still reigns as the Mother of All Mocku(rocku)mentaries, with its seamless, screamingly funny `cunning satire'.(10/10)
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most touching love stories of the 1980s.
the red duchess7 December 2000
'Spinal Tap' is a bit like 'Life of Brian'. It is one of those films you watched a thousand times as a kid, re-enacting scenes and quoting one-liners with friends as if they expressed the meaning of life (they do). It is impossible to be objective about, or even enjoy it as a film - it is recognition, not surprise, that now comprises the pleasure.

Even so, the film slots in neatly with Reiner's future romantic comedies, and the relationship between Nigel and David is immensely touching, as they have to battle the usual obstcles to their love before realising that they are worthless without each other. Watch how David celebrates the juvenile misogyny of 'Big Bottoms' by thrusting his priapic axe against Nigel's titular rump. Every farcical set-piece, song, line of dialogue, facial expression, incident is a classic. So Rob, what happened?
15 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About as Funny as Death of a Salesman
Bologna King24 January 2001
Here is the story of the members of a rock band who, because of their stupidity and wilful blindness, together with the lies and deception imposed on them by their manager, refuse to listen to record companies who don't back them up, critics who pan them, radio stations that won't play their music, promoters who cancel their gigs and fans who don't care any more. Over the course of the movie, their illusions are slowly and painfully stripped away, as they come face-to-face with themselves as has-beens and failures. It's the same story as Death of a Salesman. And about as funny.

Rob Reiner has cleverly imitated the style of a documentary film, and the actors are all so extremely plausible in these roles that it comes as no surprise that many people watch this film without realizing that it is fiction or have become fans of a nonexistent group. Read the other reviews if you don't believe this. People regularly have to be told that this film is a joke, which means usually that it's not a very good joke.

As a satire, this film also falls short. If this imaginary group is held up to ridicule, Reiner has carefully insulated the entire music industry from that ridicule. If Spinal Tap is ridiculous, the fact that everyone seems to reject them implies that the music industry is too savvy to be that ridiculous. Satire that doesn't poke fun at real people isn't satire.

There are occasional flashes of genuine brilliance, such as the amp that "goes to 11". Unfortunately the film shies away from the absurdity of such concepts rather than exploiting them. Having stated the concept it is then dismissed as something only Nigel Tufnel would be stupid enough to to think.

Mostly, however, the film relies upon its uncanny resemblance to a real rockumentary to entertain. There is no question that a really effective imitation can be very entertaining. Ask anyone who has seen an Elvis impersonator. Aficionados of the heavy metal genre will recognize a number of allusions to real musicians here, but such allusions will be lost on less well-informed viewers.

You might think that the film might be an effective parody or caricature. But the illusion is too close to the reality--parody and caricature get their humour from grossly emphasizing some aspect of the thing imitated, like making Mick Jagger's lips the size of a football. There is none of that here.

In short, there is not sufficient humour to counterweigh the essentially tragic nature of the story presented. There is, as you might say, a very fine line between tragedy and comedy.

Watch it for the cleverness and the truly fine acting throughout, but not for laughs unless you like laughing at cripples.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious documentary (rockumentary? Mockumentary?) of the awful and naïve metal band.
Anonymous_Maxine6 May 2001
This Is Spinal Tap is a very funny look at the durable rock group Spinal Tap. The documentary style filmmaking, mostly handheld, makes it look even more realistic, and makes the band's antics that much more amusing. The film's slim plot is punctuated by interviews with individual band members (some of the funniest parts of the movie), as well as music videos and live performances of the band's god-awful music. No matter how bad their reputation or their sales or their popularity is, they just keep pressing on, assuming that things will pick up soon, and it is an endless source of amusement watching them rationalize their dropping success rate and coming up with reasons that the band should stay together. This is not Oscar winning material. Not by a long shot. None of the actors in the film were well known when it was made, nor are any of them famous today, but the uniqueness and effectiveness of the comedy and of the film as a whole make it worth while. Fans of all kinds of music, not just metal, can enjoy this very funny comedy.
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cult-status? What? Why?
Flagrant-Baronessa2 August 2006
Hack documentarian DiBergi (played by director Rob Reiner himself) follows 1980s glitter rock band 'Spinal Tap' behind the stage as they are launched into a Unites States tour.

I've had numerous friends recommend me This is Spinal Tap and, judging by the style of it, I thought for sure I would find this very funny. I finally sat down to watch it, and I kept waiting for a funny moment to arrive. A line, an image, a gag -- anything. The best I could do was smile half-assedly at some of the scenes and only because I so desperately wanted to find it amusing. Spinal Tap seems to shift to automatic pilot very soon in the film and just expect its audience to find the bland band interactions hysterical, as it attempts nothing else. The dialogue is viciously realistic as is the format in which the film is shot, but does that make it funny? No, not really - it only makes it realistic.

The cast are not very dynamic. They are, at best, mildly funny in a goofy sort of way that you just chuckle on the inside at, but ultimately every last one of them is incapable of projecting any real charisma or humour on-screen. It is therefore beyond me how This is Spinal Tap ever got vaulted into a cult status.

As for good aspects, it does have some interesting approaches to it, like the mockumentary style which it adopts. I'm sure there was comedy behind it, but these ideas were either badly executed or not at all. 5/10
13 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS...IS...OVERRATED!!!
mattymatt4ever12 April 2001
This is yet another movie regarded as one of the funniest comedies in the AFI Hall of Fame that doesn't even deserve to be a runner-up. Who are the members of the AFI? I'd like to have a word with them. This pseudo-documentary/pseudo-comedy starts out with a few funny gags, scattered here and there. But in the second and third acts, when the band goes downhill, the comedy becomes as soggy as a wet rag. The gags are so slight and cheap. We're stuck with bland gags, like the one about the tiny sandwiches in the dressing room. Wow, is that a classic moment or what!!! Just one bland gag after another. Even though the running time was a mere 83 minutes, I found it tedious and lagging. This is one of those comedies I have to watch with someone to actually find which moments are supposed to be funny. I probably still won't get a laugh, but at least I'll have more of an understanding. Is this film true to the world of rock and roll, and does it have a satirical bite? I don't know. Maybe. Whatever it was, it sure as hell wasn't interesting. I don't know much about rock and roll, as far the behind-the-scenes stuff goes, but I don't care what happens off-stage if it's going to be this boring. If you want to see a good film about rock and roll, see "Almost Famous." Better yet, if you want to see a much better mockumentary about the music business--see "Fear of a Black Hat." A much more scatological comedy, but a much smarter and entertaining one as well.
13 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is ... it?
Karl Self2 August 2008
A subtly funny and intimate little movie. However, having been told about how good this movie was until my ears dropped off, having seen it referenced on innumerable occasions, and having watched the Spinal Tap-episode of the Simpsons, I kind of anticipated a comedic legend, one of the funniest movies in the history of movie-making, but the buildup turned out to be too big for the actual movie. Ideally you would have seen this at 15, an age when rock 'n' roll still really mattered, and when it came out in 1984, at a time when tediously pompous rock bands in spandex were still all the rage and hip hop and "alternative" music were still in the offing. Watching it two decades too late makes it appear a bit dated, and the jokes aren't that hard-hitting either.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most overrated film of all time
michaelthonger19 July 2010
I saw this for the first time the other day- I've been wanting to see it for ages, and saw it going for £3 in HMV (the 'up to 11' edition DVD). Having heard about how it's the greatest comedy film of all time and how it's an absolute classic, I was keen to have a laugh and see something I've never seen before; and, at risk of being flamed by fans, it SUCKED!! My first warning signs came when there's a whole minute and a half of a black screen before the menu, with four monotonous voices talking about how the screen is black. It wasn't funny, not even for its 'WTF factor'!

I managed to chuckle about three times (the stonehenge bit, the 'trapped in the pod' bit, and the tight trousers scenes- three funny moments; three stars. That's generous) over this incredibly short film, but the entire film was the exact same joke (that they're idiots and they're not very popular) played out over and over again. I've heard that 90% of this is improv- and it FEELS like improv. Poorly done improv. I've done improv work on stage before- an idiot is by far the easiest character to improvise for, because you can be as slow as you want, and you just have to say random stuff and pretend you don't understand things to get laughs. A 13 year old could come up with better lines- when I was in primary school, I was pretending to confuse 'sexist' and 'sexy'. The best bits by far were the scripted parts- the concerts and such.

However, this film has loads of fans, so I can only deduce that these are people who saw it when it was new, and it just hasn't aged well. I've seen almost all of the gags done elsewhere- Spinal Tap probably did it first, but other shows/mockumentaries do it better. The worst parts are plodding scenes of inane talking that leave you confused, wondering if what you just saw was supposed to be funny or not. It's not that I 'didn;t get it'- I got the jokes, they just weren't that funny- far too obvious for my liking. There was no subtlety in it at all- what you see is what you get. There's no plot to speak of, but a series of gags crudely stitched together, with more cul-de-sacs and pointless story arcs than your average episode of Family Guy.

Maybe it was the hype. Maybe I was expecting too much from the 'greatest comedy of all time', but I absolutely hated it. There really is nothing more to it than the clips you see on TV and reviewing programmes!

The bottom line- if you're a fan, great! Enjoy it! But if you're a noobie, AVOID!
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What once was fresh is now cliché
dbborroughs11 February 2005
I remember seeing this on its original release and was very amused by it all. Here was a very funny low budget comedy that was actually funnier the more you knew. Unfortunately time has not been kind to Spinal Tap. While its importance in the history of film and culture can not be under estimated, the past 20 odd years have made it a cliché. Everyone has ripped it off or referenced it including all of those involved in it. Thats fine, however it makes sitting through it rather difficult since you've seen most of the jokes before, even if you haven't seen the movie before. I suppose there is some consolation that this was the seed from which a thousand mockumentaries and two million jokes sprung, but when you want to see a funny movie it kind of takes the laughter out of the evening.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Is Funny?
Darguz2 March 2004
This movie really points up how widely people's conceptions of humor can vary. I've heard of this movie for years, and have always heard that it was very funny.

What finally got me to watch it was William Goldman's commentary on the DVD for "The Princess Bride". That has always been one of my favorite movies -- very funny. But if you see and hear Goldman talk, you'd think he'd never so much as cracked a smile in his life. It amazed me that someone who looks and sounds so gloomy could do something so light and funny as Princess Bride.

In describing how he managed to get together with Rob Reiner, Goldman said he'd seen "Spinal Tap" and had never laughed so hard in his life, and had tears rolling down his face. I thought, "If it could make *him* laugh, it must really be funny." So I watched it.

I think I chuckled once or twice.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not criticizing those who do find it funny. Like I say, it just points out what amazingly wide variation there is in what people consider funny.

Beyond not being very funny (to me), the movie was in fact moderately interesting just as a documentary of a rock band. I fast-forwarded a couple of times, but sat through most of it.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.