Ninja III: The Domination (1984) Poster

Best movie ever made? I think yes.
trusty20 April 1999
Wow. I've never seen nor heard of this film. It just came on tv (2:00 am) and I am in complete awe. Setup: a bunch of rich fat cats are out golfing. One knocks a ball into the rough. It lands by a NINJA!!!! A tuxedoed man walks over to pick the ball up. The ninja grabs it. Crushes it in his hand. Man pulls gun. Ninja pulls blowgun. Ninja blows dart into gun barrel. GUN EXPLODES!!!! This is just the beginning of the greatness, people. Everyone must see this movie. 10 big ol fat stars from trusty.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lucinda Dickey's back
chris91911 December 2005
This is a pretty silly film, including what may well be the least erotic come-on ever to make it to the big screen (the heroine pours V-8 all over herself and invites the hero to lick it off -- yuck!). And yet it also features the resplendent Lucinda Dickey in what is far and away her most erotic performance. In those long ago days, women -- even action heroines -- with real muscles were a rarity, and I can still remember the way my jaw dropped when Dickey took off her shirt, revealing the most powerfully built female back and biceps I'd ever seen. Dickey's beauty and vitality carry the film: she could have been a female Schwarzenegger if anybody had had the vision to promote her.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a guy with a hairy back, he sure takes his shirt off a lot
Martini_Boy9 February 2006
After seeing this movie, I have no choice but to write a review in the hopes that there are others like me out there who were blown away by the rocket fueled ninja action and white hot sexual titillation that is Ninja III: The Domination.

We all know that Sho Kosugi rocks. That is a given, but how about Jordan Bennett's ultra macho interpretation of his character police officer "Billy Secord"? Bravo Mr. Bennett, bravo. You prove early on, while trying to seduce the buxom Christie (played to perfection by one Miss Lucinda Dickey of Breakin' fame)that you are not afraid to take chances on your craft. I particularly enjoyed how you do not feel the need to step in and attempt to help her as 4 thugs try to rape her outside her gym. Oh you could have helped sure, but by standing there and watching you let her know who was boss. Secord will wear the pants in this relationship. I also enjoyed how Mr. Bennett was not afraid to repeatedly take off his shirt or wear the wife-beater tank top despite his gorilla like shoulders and back. Back and shoulder hair are hot and Secord knows it. And How about Lucinda Dickey? All I can say is "KABOOM" - I see a sex bomb getting ready to explode. She's got all the right moves as both a temptress and a martial arts whiz. The chemistry behind Dickey and Bennett is what makes this movie tick. You'd think she would hate him because he's kind of a cheesy jerk, but no my friends. The animal magnetism is too strong to resist, and they bond like crazy glue. Sho Kasugi is not as prominent as you might think, though still a main character, which is fine by me because all I wanted was more Bennett and Dickey. He does seem to wear a lot of eye makeup which was nice to see. The special effects? Wow. That is all I can say. I will not give away the ending but let's just say it will not disappoint. I love Ninja III: The domination, and can only hope that there is a Ninja 4. I give it a 5 out of 5 throwing stars. disappoint.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
real ultimate power
Alec_Eiffel8 January 2005
There are few movies that have the massive amount of non stop ninja action as Ninja III: the Domination. This is a story of love, redemption and revenge, however, this is mainly a story about flipping out and killing people for no reason at all. If you've been searching for a movie where a ninja goes absolutely nuts and takes all kinds of people to their graves just because he's a ninja and he can do it, this is the movie for you. I can't think of any movies to compare this to, because no movie is this awesome. Wait, oh, have you ever seen the thing with two heads? There is a part in that where the titular thing is riding around on a motorcycle and about a million cop cars are chasing it/them around, but they keep crashing and what not BECAUSE YOU CAN'T CATCH THE THING WITH TWO HEADS!!! Well, that is kind of what Ninja III is like. I highly recommend this film especially if you like the following things: Ninjas, swords, Lucinda Dickie from Breakin' and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, video games about being a bouncer in a bar, ambiguous and underdeveloped love stories or "good" ninjas.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant trash!
HumanoidOfFlesh21 October 2002
Sam Firstenberg's "Ninja 3:The Domination" mixes martial arts with "The Exorcist" like horror.The horror elements thrown on screen are simply laughable,but the film works as a mindless action/martial arts flick.The fight scenes are well-choreographed and exciting,and the film is never boring.So forget stupid dialogue,lame acting and annoying soundtrack-grab some beer and check this one out!Highly recommended!
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad it's good classic from man behind breakin 2!
Davidags29 December 2001
This might be my favorite so bad it's awesome film of all time. like many pre-teen children of the 80's repeat viewing of revenge of ninja spawned a ninja phase of my childhood. Man i thought Sho k. was badass back then. Jet Li could wup him with both legs in a cast! This movie has insane crossovers that include flashdance,the exorcist and the Lee Van cleef ninja TV show. ugh. but as a friend of mine says anyone can get a good movie made it takes true genius to make a film that starts with a ninja surviving 17 shotgun blasts long enough to take over the body of arobics instructor to get revenge. wow. While previous commentors have metioned the sword flying out of the closet on the string no one has yet metioned the powerful love scene. Where the sexy leading man cop takes off his shirt to reveal a mane of backhair. The fun never ends. Rent this!!!!!!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good example of '80s excess
Leofwine_draca31 March 2018
NINJA III: THE DOMINATION is the last of Cannon's unconnected ninja trilogy, which began with the good ENTER THE NINJA and peaked with the excellent REVENGE OF THE NINJA. This one's the worst of the three but still a fun watch for fans of 1980s cheese. The extended opening sequence in particular is outstanding, featuring evil ninja David Chung going on a random massacre at a golf course and taking down innocent folk right, left, and centre. Things move down a notch after this point as his spirit randomly possesses a fitness girl with big hair and a fondness for this sleazy cop with the most chest hair you'll ever see on a guy - he makes Chuck Norris look bald. She occasionally turns into the evil ninja and kills some folk off, until good-guy ninja Sho Kosugi shows up to exorcise her and kick ass. Things culminate in a fun battle between good and evil. With cheesy effects, random plotting and lots of surreal violence, NINJA III: THE DOMINATION night not be art, but it certainly qualifies as a good example of '80s excess.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Great
ebiros231 October 2011
This is one of the many Golan - Globus made movie. They had series of low budget movies that were pretty entertaining. This is one of it.

For almost no reason at all (At least it's not explained in the movie), a guy comes into a cave looking for a hidden sword. He finds it, and the sword transforms him into a super ninja. He then goes out to a golf course, and kills a couple (Again it's not explained who they were) and gets chased by the cops. Cops shoots him with guns and shot guns, but the ninja guy doesn't die (Again no reason). Then he escapes, and meets a girl (Lucinda Dicky). Then a strange thing happens: The spirit of the sword transfers to the girl, and now the girl becomes the super ninja. Then the possessed girl goes out on the revenge on people that shot the first ninja guy. Now enter Sho Kosugi. He's a ninja too, and seems to know all about what's going on, and shows up at key locations (Again for no reason explained). How would they save the girl from the ninja possession ?

This is movie that's purely made for entertainment. As you can see, the premise of the story suddenly happens, and then just keeps going without any explanation, but you don't care because of Lucinda's physical charm. She's the most beef cake actress I've ever seen. Other supporting actors are pretty good. Whatever the reason, the producers knew what they were doing, because this is an entertaining movie.

It's a good movie, and is recommended for viewing.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wicked!
GOWBTW3 May 2007
I've always been fascinated by ninjistsu, who would know that it will go further than beyond. In "Ninja III", it's fun creepy and intriguing. A ninja gets shot up by the police, and uses his spirit for revenge. The victim, a lovely young woman named Christie(Lucinda Dickey). She falls for the cop who was involved in the shooting. The love scene where she pours the V8 on her body knocked me out! The ninja's death gets the attention of another in Japan named Yamada(Sho Kosugi) he comes to America not only to save Christie, but to put the ninja back to the grave. Simply because he put out Yamada's left eye with a shuriken(throwing star). The fight scenes were excellent. I liked the part when the plywood falls on Yamada, and he splits it with his foot. And when he was caught, he tells the officer Christie was involved with that everything will be fine. Rule of thumb: Never under estimate a ninja. He took out the other cops without killing them. And he did his thing without worry. Of course, Chirstie did her best trying to put the ninja in his place for using her a tool for revenge. It was a good movie, great for martial arts buffs. 3 out of 5 stars!
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Campy Martial Arts
guyinrubbersuit11 September 2006
I remember catching this movie on one of the Showtime channels. What stood out for me is that this movie takes place entirely in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm from there so I spot the locales easily.

Regardless, a ninja kills a scientist, because they wear yellow sweaters and golf, who is pursued by the police. It takes about half the police force to take him down and when they do eventually kill him, there are no discernible bullet wounds. His spirit lives on however when a woman finds her and touches his katana.

From then on, she periodically gets possessed and kills the police officers who killed the original ninja. Then another ninja from Japan comes to kill the evil ninja. This might be a plot device from the previous two films, or perhaps a plot hole. All I know is that this movie is very campy, bad and entertaining. This is something to watch with a tub of popcorn, and several friends and give it the MST3K treatment.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obviously the best in the 'Ninja' series
Michael_Pilkington17 June 1999
A highly unusual formula ("The Exorcist" meets "Enter the Dragon") is injected into routine martial arts film. Martial arts action (and there's plenty of it) and second rate special effects compensate for lousy acting. An innocent woman (Lucinda Dickey) is possessed by the spirit of an evil ninja assassin (David Chung), causing her to murder the police responsible for his "death." It's Sho Kosugi ("Enter the Ninja," "Revenge of the Ninja") to the rescue as he tries to rid the spirit and destroy the ninja once and for all ("Only a ninja can destroy a ninja"). Best in the series, but only one complaint: Kosugi has very little screen time. My evaluation: **1/2 out of ****.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Female Ninja Movie Ever Made
Carrigon1 February 2000
This is probably the only female Ninja movie ever made. It's great as a B film and the action sequences are a lot of fun to watch. This movie is just so deliciously 80's. You'll never see another film like it. Check it out for some 80's retro fun.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flash Dancing Meets Martial Arts
frankie-smales7 August 2016
this movie came out during the Video Nasty culture in the united kingdom in the early 80's where clamping down on ultraviolence in distributing home videos with themes of ninja throwing stars and other implements that could lead to copycat violence but with this film it had an minimal release and had to atone it's violence right down and Menachem Golan And Yoram Globus had an notorious habit of jumbling releases of their films that lead to the confusion on this film by fans by making them believe that this was before Breakdance the movie (u.k Title) to say both feature Lucinda Dickey where as in this one she is an telephone Cable lines woman by day and aerobics instructor by night to say the actress looked buff for the role so you was convinced this came second after her breakdance movie but the whole premise of this movie is flash dancing mixed with martial arts and the exorcist and has veteran actor James Wong the Legendary Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China and the theme is amazing. it takes a ninja to kill a ninja and Dickey shows an new method of having foreplays with v8 juice but it did get an official united kingdom release in an Blu Ray Boxset available on amazon it's a shame that Dickey wasn't respected well to say that Hollywood execs are evil only the best make it but she still has her fans the world over today this movie a 10/10.

FRANKIE HOLTZMANN SMALES.

ALIENBUGSTOMPERFAN
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How many police officers does it takes to kill a possessed ninja ? Lots of them !
ichocolat1 March 2009
Let me repeat my question; How many police officers does it takes to kill a possessed ninja ? Come on, have a guess. 10, 20? Not even close. It takes hundreds of them to kill one enraged, possessed ninja ! Never mind the body count, the police chief will just shout to his subordinate to conduct another round of attack to finish the ninja off, knowing full well that those subordinates will not return to their families ever again.

And the flashdance, was it really needed? I mean, I imagine ninja flicks should be all fight and cool moves, not some aerobics class with sweaty people in the crowded gym.

A stupid sequel, did not warrant a good comment. So sorry dear producer, but 1/10 is the best rating I can give.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge of the 80's: Sho Kosugi's Cannon Films.
Captain_Couth7 November 2004
Ninja III: The Domination (1984) was the last of the trilogy. However Sho Kosugi would later extend the series life by making the sequels in the Phillipines (i.e. Nine Deaths of a Ninja). The filmmakers decided to do things differently with this third installment in the "Ninja" series.

A young and hot telephone worker (Lucinda Dickey) is slowly possessed by an evil ninja. She turns into a killing machine when she takes possession of a ninja sword she finds on duty. Sho Kosugi stars as a "good" ninja who picks up some bad mojo whilst searching for the evil ninja. His search leads him in the general direction of Lucinda. Now he knows where the evil ninja is, he pulls out his magic bag and fights him. Who will win the battle of good versus evil?

You have to hand it to the filmmakers for trying something different. Instead of rehashing the same old plot, they tried to add some mysticism to the storyline. The results are a mixed bag. But Sho Kosugi and Lucinda Dickey more than make up for it. Not as good as the last movie but better than the first.

Recommended for Sho Kosugi fans.

B-

xx
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatest Ninja film ever
steve-kirsty778 September 2004
This film is the greatest ninja film ever made in my opinion and if you haven't seen it then its worth watching. I would rate this film a 10/10 if you want to see more then check out http://uk.geocities.com/ninja3thedomination The opening sequence where the evil ninja is killing everyone in his way is excellent his character is the best. He then has to possesses ayoung woman who finds him dying. She then has to take revenge on the cops that killed him which means there's more killing and action. But only a ninja can destroy a ninja so she and her boyfriend who is also one of her targets enlist the help of Yamad(Sho Kosugi) to release the evil ninjas spirit and destroy him.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A prime piece of vintage 80's chopsocky horror trash
Woodyanders7 July 2015
Telephone maintenance worker and aerobics instructor Christie Ryder (an appealing portrayal by the luscious Lucinda Dickey) gets possessed by the malevolent spirit of a lethal black ninja. Fortunately, rival good ninja Yamada (the ever-cool Sho Kosugi sporting a gnarly eye patch) arrives in town to save the day by exorcising the spirit from Christie's body and defeating the black ninja.

Director Sam Firstenberg, working from a blithely absurd script by James R. Silke, keeps the marvelously ludicrous story zipping along at a snappy pace, treats the loopy handy-dandy multi-genre combo premise with admirable seriousness, and stages the martial arts fights with considerable aplomb (the opening sequence with the black ninja slaughtering a slew of cops is a rip-roaring doozy!). The extremely hirsute Jordan Bennett lends likable support as Christie's concerned police officer boyfriend Billy while familiar character actor James Hong has a neat bit as helpful spiritualist Miyashima. The love scene involving V8 juice rates as a definite campy highlight. Moreover, the roaring rock soundtrack, sweaty aerobics, a way cool video game called Bouncer, gaudy special effects, and "Flashdance"-style leotards and leg warmers all give this picture a certain endearingly cheesy 80's period charm. Hanania Baer's slick cinematography provides an impressive polished look. The spirited syncopated synthesizer score by Mischa Segal and Udi Harpaz hits the funky-throbbing spot. A real kitschy hoot and a half.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie makes me feel like having a V-8.
Hey_Sweden1 July 2013
"Ninja III: The Domination" is energetic, sometimes priceless popcorn fodder from those reliable folk at the Cannon Group, producers and distributors of so many irresistible B movies of the 1980s. An in-name-only sequel to "Enter the Ninja" and "Revenge of the Ninja" (all the three movies really have in common is star Sho Kosugi) with its own stand alone story, it functions as a martial arts / "Exorcist" mash-up as an evil "black ninja" assassin (David Chung) slaughters some people on a golf course and then leads the police on a chase. Eventually, he's pumped full of bullets, but he has enough life left in him to stumble his way to a young woman, Christie (Lucinda Dickey of the "Breakin'" movies) and then transfer his spirit to her body. He then periodically takes control of her in order to avenge himself on the cops who shot him, while a good ninja (Mr. Kosugi) is sent from Japan to take care of the situation.

Director Sam Firstenberg, a regular in Cannon Group productions (his other credits including "American Ninja" and "Avenging Force"), really seems to be having fun with the melding of genres here, and this movie sizes up as *very* cheesy and *very* funny entertainment that scarcely takes a breath. Its opening 17 minutes surely has to rank as one of the best ever openings for a cult film. There's plenty of action to enjoy; Dickey looks great in and out of ninja costume even if she is doubled by stunt men for the majority of the action sequences. Mr. Kosugi is in extremely fine form, especially for the final showdown with the black ninja at the movies' conclusion. Jordan Bennett, as a cop who becomes Christies' love interest, is annoying for a while but he does eventually grow on you. Also among the cast is the incredibly prolific and always wonderful character actor James Hong, playing a Japanese spiritualist. The horror parts of this movie are never exactly scary, but that's part of the clunky charm of this thing, which does feature one of the oddest bits of product placement ever seen in cinema.

Bottom line: this is solid no-brainer escapism. If you're ready to just kick back and put your brain in neutral, the laughs and thrills are enough to keep you satisfied for 94 straight minutes.

Eight out of 10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Ninja Flick
Mike_douglas813 October 2004
Excellent plot line makes this movie one of the classic, cult ninja flicks of all time. The plot being that this woman's soul is possessed by an evil ninja spirit. I mean to be honest if i could obtain ninja ability through possession I would. Furthermore, for being in the 80's and such the fact that the ninja aspect was far greater in this particular decade is evident and despite all that, Ninja 3 The Domination manages to keep it original from the American Ninja cookie cutter molds that plagued the 80's for so long. This chick is definitely Michael Dudikoff on steroids.... I mean the first American ninja was great but let's get real folks it has nothing on Ninja 3
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The second best ninja movie of all time!
jaws!25 April 1999
I was a big fan of ninja movies in the mid-80's, and some of the late 80's. I first saw this movie back in 1985. It's the second best ninja movie ever made. It's very entertaining. Plenty of action in this movie. It is nearly as good as Revenge of the Ninja. I give ninja III:the domination ***1/2 out of ****
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NINJA CHEESE
shark-4330 October 2004
Wow - this movie has everything!!! Ninja fights, horrible 80s soundtrack, bad acting, some good stunts and car crashes, some of the worst fights you've ever seen, aerobics wear from the 1980s, awful special effects and the most bumbling cops since the Keystone ones made silent comedies. If you've read some of the other comments - they are pretty dead on - Flashdance meets Exorcist meets Ninja movies. Lucinda Dickey (who made the Breakin' movies) looks like a low-rent Linda Hamilton and she is not very good in the fight scenes. But the movie does have one of the most amazing openings ever where a ninja attacks and kills dozens on a GOLF COURSE!!!! If you like cheesy bad movies, then this one is for you. Man oh man.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film, Very Relaxing and Uplifting
mincka_b29 December 2003
This is an action packed film that makes me feel very peaceful and relaxed every time I see it. The film (short of its conclusion) demonstrates that in the face of extreme odds, it is still possible to prevail.

This film is very refreshing, and likely to be banned at any moment. Get a copy of it before the thought police burn every copy they can find. They don't want you to have hope for the future, or to think you have a chance.

On the other hand, should Political Correctness fail to supress it, this would be an excellent movie to release on DVD. Such a release could contain interviews with the writer and director, and related goodies. I'm sure it would sell some copies, and I would be one of the first to buy it.

• Mincka
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ninja III:The Domination
Scarecrow-8819 December 2010
The ENTER THE NINJA saga continues except this time there are supernatural elements included. Sho Kosugi returns in more of a supporting part as Yamada, seeking revenge against the evil Black Ninja(David Chung)who murdered his father in Japan. This Black Ninja is a Japanese assassin who takes out a scientist and his security on a golf course before the LA PD come looking for him. Before succumbing to injuries from a plethora of gunshot wounds by police officers, Black Ninja annihilates half the Los Angeles police department using only his sword and martial arts combat techniques. Black Ninja is able to escape and comes in contact with Christie(Lucinda Dickey; CHEERLEADER CAMP), who works for the telephone company(and is an aerobics instructor), possessing her with his spirit, forcing upon her his magic sword. Christie falls for a cop(Jordan Bennett), but is forced against her will to assassinate the remaining police officers responsible for the bullet wounds which finished off Black Ninja. Yamada will need to remove the evil spirit from Christie's body, induce said spirit to reenter the stiff corpse of Black Ninja.

While I admit there are plenty of silly special effects sequences which include objects moving around by themselves, an arcade machine emanating a laser light(into Dickey's face), and lots of steam spraying throughout Christie's house, there's still lots of martial arts action for fans of the genre. The opening sequence goes on for a cool twenty minutes as Black Ninja lays waste to everyone in his sight, hopping over police cars, roping trees and climbing them with ease, knocking police officers for a loop. Dickey has one impressive fight scene where she wipes out weight-lifting heavies picking on a girl outside the exercise facility. Kosugi and Dickey(or maybe her stunt double)go at it in an abandoned building where the floors and walls are brittle to the point where bodies fall through them rather easily. There's one exciting scene where a possessed Dickey in ninja attire attacks LA PD attending the funeral of one of their own, using bow and arrows, before giving chase which leads to her first meeting with Kosugi. And of course to top it all off Kosugi and David Chung have their thrilling sword play at the very end which escalates into a rocky, mountainous region to conclude this movie. So if you can get past the rather cheesy premise and fantasy moments, there's enough to recommend I believe. That said, the bonkers possession plot might actually earn NINJA III:THE DOMINATION a cult following; I imagine such craziness will appeal to an audience which embraces Dickey running around her room attempting to evade Black Ninja's evil presence or the scene where James Hong evokes the spirit while Christie is in restraints(her hair streaked gray and face white, body spinning forward, Dickey beckoning for rescue as Black Ninja takes control, forewarning Hong to leave well enough alone).
NINJA III The Domination is the best of the Ninja Trilogy
KrystalKeller8019 December 2003
This is without a doubt the best of the Ninja Trilogy starring Sho Kosugi. As talented as he is, Lucinda Dickey manages to make it much more fun then the first two movies.

Cristie is a phoneline repair woman and aerobics teacher who gets possessed by an evil ninja assassin. She then procceeds to slice kill cops who shot her tormentor down.

This is Flashdance meets The Exorcist, it's a horror movie, a martil arts movie and an action movie all in one and is directed by Sam Firstenberg, the man who brought us Breakin' 2 Electric Boogaloo.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
excelent performance, sho kosugi is the best
alquimista9 September 2001
for many and many years, gaijin have visited japan for learning martial arts, instead of acquiring any knowledge on it, gainjin have been told only nihonjin could achieve the excelent performance required to show some techniques in a "public" performance such as a movie...

this one special movie, made by sho kosugi, not only shows all of those techniques and skills, but also teaches many and many lessons on how to achieve them, and one can verify that by seeing a LUCINDA DICKEY performing fantastic and unforgettable acting skills in NINJUTSU...

I strongly recommend watching this movie more than thrice, because three times is not enough to seek out hints and tips given so easily by sho kosugi to those who really seek knowledge itself, the gnosis...