The Last Starfighter (1984)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 15 items
Sex & Nudity
- A young boy searches through his collection of Playboy magazines. The camera briefly shows the scantly covers as he opens to look through them. During vocal conversation "tongue in my ear" is mentioned. Playboys mentioned twice. Alex's girlfriend Maggie is shown making out under a blanket with the fake Alex. "talk dirty to me".
Violence & Gore
- The enemy command ship crashes into a moon. Many deaths are implied.
- A bad guy attacks two aliens and knocks them out, hitting one in the face with a metal weapon. Not violent.
- An alien kills a police officer off-screen, and assumes his identity.
- The beta unit crashes a truck into a landed enemy ship.
- An alien shoots the beta unit in the stomach, and there is a clear hole in his stomach with green liquid and wires coming out, but he is unhurt.
- As the villain appears in a projection to deliver his threats, he demonstrates his competence by showing a spy he caught being tortured to death. The spy is held immobile in a chair while an energy beam fires into his head. He screams a great deal, and his face begins to blister and shrivel before the video is cut off.
- The enemy bombards the base with hurled meteors, while a traitor sabotages the base's defenses to allow the attack to destroy it.
- There is intensive spacefighter combat with the heroes piloting one fighter craft against whole squadrons of the enemy.
- 3 uses of 'hell', 2 uses of 'shit', 4 uses of 'oh my God', and 1 use of 'crap'.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A character mentions "going to the drive-in, getting drunk and throwing up every Saturday night".
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Mild sequences of space combat with lazers and ships.
- Alien beings from other planets. Not human looking.
- A "simuloid" is shown in the process of taking on the lead character's appearance. It appears skinless, with veins showing and pulsating, and lidless eyes. It is clear that it is not suffering, but the image can be disturbing to some.
Violence & Gore
- When the lead character, Alex, is returned to Earth, he sis oon hunted by an assassin with a ray gun and all he has is a board with a nail in it. Fortunately, a supporting character arrives and is able to shoot the assailant, knocking him down and severing an arm. Unfortunately, the assassin tries to shoot the lead character, and the supporting character interposes his body and gravely wounded. After transporting Alex back to the alien base, he apparently dies upon arrival, however, he later returns explaining that he actually fell dormant to heal himself.