- A scene with Egon testing the proton pack, which is charged by being plugged in. The pack melts the plug.
- A model's mink coat comes to life on a runway. Note that this scene does happen in Ghostbusters II (1989) to a woman on the street.
- Several shots in the sequence where Venkman, Stantz, and Spengler are thrown off campus were cut.
- Several scenes throughout the film with Janine and Egon were cut.
- The first time Venkman leaves Dana's apartment, he says to Louis "What a woman."
- The "green slimer" ghost is discovered by two newlyweds at the Hotel Sedgewick. Also cut was a Ghostbuster inspection of the room.
- A policeman tries to ticket the Ectomobile, but the car won't let him.
- Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd play two bums that witness Louis being chased by the terror dog. This scene was removed because the filmmakers felt the audience would be confused by seeing Murray and Aykroyd in different roles in the same movie.
- Ray and Winston inspect Fort Detmerring, where Ray dresses in an old General's coat and falls asleep. When he awakes, he sees a female ghost above his bed. This part of the sequence was kept and used in the montage in the middle of the film.
- Louis encounters two muggers in Central Park during the ghost montage.
- Venkman and Stantz discuss matters with the mayor outside City Hall.
- The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man sequence ends with his large hat falling to the ground. Some deleted shots appear in the film's trailers.