The Cowboy and the Ballerina (TV Movie 1984) Poster

a timeless story that deals with the gritty moments of life
beechgrove31 October 2002
This movie views as fresh today as the year it was first aired. It has something for both adults and children, and hence makes great family viewing. Children dream of what they might become. For some it is cowboys, or ballerinas. The cynics would say these are popular culture stereotypes. But in this movie they are real characters, flaws and all.

It deals with the stuff of dreams, and the stuff of life. Dissolution/exhaustion with career, family, and the fragility of relationships. It also explores what happens when dreams hit reality, how things change over time as the main characters mature,and how two adults try and hold onto their dreams. When two strangers meet they are both at pivotal points in their lives, both personally and professionally. As Clay says to Natalia "Love isn't a strong enough word for it. sometimes I hate it! But... it's what I live for, you know?"

Features some great rodeo action, including bull and bronco riding by Lee Majors' character Clay.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
I was shocked
vironpride23 March 2005
When I first saw this film, I was shocked. Lee Majors had aged horrendously from the way he looked as Heath Barkley. Also, whoever wrote the script didn't do their research. John MacIntyre says to Leslie Wing, "I saw Madame Spessysayva dance Giselle." LW corrects his pronunciation by saying, "Spessivyayva." Well, both pronunciations are wrong--they are no doubt referring to Olga Spessivtzeva (Spess-seevt-sa-va). He goes on to say, "You look like her." Well, Leslie Wing bears absolutely NO resemblance to Olga Spessivtzeva. If you have to watch anything connected with ballet, which is the only reason I watched it, you will be disappointed. I wonder why they bothered?
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link