Beverly Hills Cop (1984) Poster

Axel Foley: Eddie Murphy's best role
ShadySovereign5 June 2005
Beverly Hills Cop was a big hit in the 1980's. The film was loved by many action fans, as well as comedy fans and movie buffs at the time. It is still being admired by many people as one of the funniest cop movies ever made.

The thing I love about this movie is that Eddie Murphy was perfectly cast as the Axel Foley character. Originally, Sylvester Stallone was considered for the role. Thank God he wasn't! Eddie Murphy was perfect for the role, because he can be a clever cop, and can at the same time be very funny! Another great thing about Beverly Hills Cop is its smashing soundtrack. There are some great hit songs from the 1980's featured in the soundtrack, as well as an excellent musical score which can be heard throughout the movie (to me, the musical score is the Beverly Hills Cop "theme song").

Perhaps the only downside of Beverly Hills Cop is that it can be pretty slow in certain scenes. Hardcore action fans would probably be disappointed by this. But let's face it: Beverly Hills Cop is not an all-out mindless action movie. It is actually a clever comedy with elements of action present within.

To conclude, Beverly Hills Cop is arguably Eddie Murphy's best film since he fits the Axel Foley character perfectly. There are many funny scenes featuring Eddie Murphy that will have people laughing (even the action scenes can be cleverly funny)!

P.S: Look out for cameos by Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot, and Damon Wayans!
81 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beverly Hills Cop is the best classic Action comedy film from the 80's
ivo-cobra816 October 2015
Beverly Hills Cop (1984) is my favorite childhood movie. It is one of the best Action Films in the 80's I have seen. I don't care if it is written comedy in the genre. It is humor in this film but I am considering as a classic Action Film. It is definitely Eddie Murphy's best film. Film about Beverly Hills Cop and Cobra will not be today Action films like are this. I am really disappointed with how action films are turning today. Beverly hills Cop is a legendary film. A film that I will always cherish and I will never get tired of it. I love this movie to death. Great job reviewing one of the best classic action films ever.

This is my favorite film and one of the best classic action films from the 80's of all time. Yes I grew up with this film, that always fascinated me how this film is fascinated, awesome, brilliant and very funny. Eddie Murphy kick's ass!!!

A freewheeling Detroit cop pursuing a murder investigation finds himself dealing with the very different culture of Beverly Hills.

Beverly Hills Cop is a movie made successful entirely on the performance of its star. The film is fairly shallow when it comes right down to it -- really, it's a whole lot of talk, a fair bit of comedy, and only a little bit of action -- but Star Eddie Murphy's (48 Hrs.) charisma and complete mastery of his character is what makes Director Martin Brest's (Midnight Run) movie a fan-favorite success. Outside of Murphy, Beverly Hills Cop is as routine as routine gets; a standard cops-and-robbers plot, no mystery, and point-and-shoot and in-the-raw direction make for an otherwise dull picture, but Murphy saves the film from its own shortcomings with so much flair and genuine excitement that this might be the all-time best of any of the "actor-singlehandedly-makes-the-movie" movies. Beverly Hills Cop is the very definition of a "star vehicle," a movie that's nothing without its lead -- this specific lead at that -- but with him? It's a movie that's always masking its mistakes behind Murphy's big smile and quick-to-the-punch comic style and timing that he's got going on no matter the time, place, or circumstances in the story, selling the character and his actions with a startling effortlessness that transforms him into Axel Foley in every scene.

Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) is a slick, smooth-talking Detroit detective who's disobedience and disregard for procedure has once again landed him in hot water with his Chief, and a promising career is on the brink of disintegration. Axel Foley is Eddie Murphy's best role that made him in to a star today.

Beverly Hills Cop is a 1984 American action comedy film directed by Martin Brest and starring Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley, a street-smart Detroit cop who heads to Beverly Hills, California to solve the murder of his best friend. Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Ronny Cox, Lisa Eilbacher, Steven Berkoff and Jonathan Banks appear in supporting roles.

This first film in the Beverly Hills Cop series shot Murphy to international stardom, won the People's Choice Award for "Favorite Motion Picture", was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical, and received an Academy Award nomination for Best Writing (Original Screenplay) in 1985. It earned $234 million at the North American domestic box office, making it the highest-grossing 1984 film in the U.S.

Beverly Hills Cop is always on the precipice of disaster, the picture teetering on the edge but always pulled back from the brink by Murphy's contagious enthusiasm and pure comic timing. About half the film, it seems, is constructed almost exclusively of scenes featuring Murphy's character being chewed out for his actions that take place in the other half of the film. Whether he's defending himself in front of his superiors or defending his life on the streets of Detroit and Beverly Hills, Murphy consistently and perfectly juggles the film's requirements for action (as sparse as the action may be) with what is almost always subtle but extraordinarily effective humor that always flows from the story and feels genuinely off-the-cuff, rather than force-fed into the plot just to try and squeeze out a laugh from its audience. It's the film's sense of real, genuine storytelling, then, that outside of Murphy, is its greatest asset. The film is awfully standard, yes, but it's never mechanical, instead playing as completely organic. The interplay between characters seems perfectly natural, as does the humor, and it's all thanks to Murphy's uncanny ability to carry the movie with so much natural swagger and charm that Beverly Hills Cop is so much fun in spite of what would otherwise be a forgettable loser of a movie.

The heat is on in this fast paced action-comedy starring Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley, a street smart Detroit cop tracking down his best friend's killer in Beverly Hills. Axel quickly learns that his wild style doesn't fit in with the Beverly Hills Police Department, which assigns two officers (Judge Reinhold and John Ashton) to make sure things don't get out of hand. Dragging the stuffy detectives along for the ride, Axel smashes through a huge culture clash in his hilarious, high-speed pursuit of justice. Featuring cameos by Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot and Damon Wayans, Beverly Hills Cop is an exhilarating sidesplitting adventure!

I love this film, it is one of the funniest movies that I've ever seen. Eddie Murphy rocks the house.
35 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy's best role - a unique fish-out-of-water comedy!
MovieAddict201612 November 2004
Detroit cop Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) is in Beverly Hills for a few days to investigate the murder of an old acquaintance. Axel assumes the suspect is a local tycoon, but no one seems to believe him – including the police force, being semi-run by Ronny Cox (in one of his rare good-guy roles).

Axel comes into trouble with the law his first day on the job after getting thrown through a glass window by some thugs. He is arrested, and when released finds himself hounded by a pair of inept police officers around the town for a few days. After outsmarting them (in one of cinema's most delightful moments – ever) Axel gets hooked up with an old friend and manages to roam the streets looking for clues – which, of course, he finds very easily.

Before this film Eddie Murphy had starred in one film that had launched his name into Hollywood: "48 HRS." But by all reasonable comparisons this is a much, much better film, and it's also much, much funnier, too. What's most refreshing is that it doesn't fall back upon the stereotypes of African-Americans inherent in so many mainstream motion pictures – the role of Axel Foley was originally written for Sylvester Stallone (who was actually attached to star early on in pre-production before dropping out of the project) and it's quite clear that Foley was intended as a white character. Although massive rewrites were employed only two weeks before shooting, script flaws can still be spotted – the heroine of the story is a white businesswoman, for example, and we expect some sort of sexual tension between them but there is none. We begin to question the very presence of the female lead because in essence it leads nowhere. We can imagine how it might have developed into a love story, but Murphy works against the flow, awkwardly treating her as nothing more than a friend.

These sorts of things sometimes bring out the occasional odd touches in the film – ironically they unintentionally set the film apart from other such movies of the genre because it's not typical in any sense. Sure, it has the routine shoot-outs but there is no romance subplot, no pointless racial comparisons (more of which would be seen in the two sequels), etc. The movie greatly benefits from this because it seems so fresh, and far more believable – after all, rarely are romances developed in two days. The action genre always seems to end with the hero sending off the crooks to jail, and finally getting a long-awaited kiss from the leading lady. "Beverly Hills Cop," to its credit, manages to avoid this and the result is a far more enjoyable film, even if most of its sequences are far from being 100% realistic.

The film's director, Martin Brest, has a clear handle on the buddy genre and would go on to direct the immensely successful Robert De Niro / Charles Grodin road-buddies-comedy "Midnight Run," one of the most popular (and best) of the genre. Beverly Hills Cop works just as well – it's funny when it needs to be, thrilling when it wants to be, and features a stellar lead performance by Murphy in his most unusual role.

Murphy is the driving force behind the film, presenting us with a truly likable character – the most likable character he's ever played, as a matter of fact. Axel is unorthodox but a generally good guy – Murphy is sometimes typecast into playing roles similar to that of which he played in "48 HRS." (being the loud, obnoxious racist who's got it all together), but here he plays someone we actually want to root for. At one point in the film he manages to get a couple of police officers in trouble with their superior – but he takes all the blame, and actually fabricates a lie wherein they were heroes doing their job, despite the fact that they were all actually hanging out at a strip club. Axel is tough, cool, quick-witted, nice, sarcastic, and likable – one of cinema's most enduring characters, and proof that African-American cinema heroes don't always have to be loudmouths in order to succeed as characters (pay attention, Chris Rock and Chris Tucker).

The now-famous soundtrack (including 'Axel F' by Harold Faltermeyer) is a great blend of techno-pop and electronic rock – the movie's theme is bouncy, rambunctious and fun: a good parallel to Axel himself.

Overall "Beverly Hills Cop" exceeds exceptionally well, even if a great deal of the film's success itself derives from pure accident and chance. I don't think anyone can say that those involved in the production knew exactly what they were doing at the time (DVD supplements include anecdotes about hectic filming and the project almost falling through at one point) -- but as luck would have it everything turned out fine. "Beverly Hills Cop" is an immensely enjoyable film, and one of the best examples of the cop-comedy genre executed properly.
54 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Peak of Murphy's Career
Sargebri10 July 2003
This film came out, Eddie Murphy's star was still rising and this pretty much was the pinnacle of his career. This film is a funny, fast paced, action filled fun ride and Murphy really made the film an enjoyable experience. Thank God that Sylvester Stallone backed out because I feel the film would have been a very dark intense film. At least Murphy made Axel into a smart aleck who helped to lighten the mood of the film. Also, the one underrated performance has to have been Judge Reinhold. Reinhold makes an art of playing slightly goofy out of it characters and his portrayal of Detective Billy Rosewood was a perfect example of that and John Ashton was the perfect foil as Taggart. This is definitely one of the top films of the 1980's
31 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultra-Slick and Ultra-Cool.
tfrizzell16 March 2002
Eddie Murphy became a true bankable superstar with "Beverly Hills Cop". The film is an unconventional detective story that has Murphy, a Detroit police officer, go to Beverly Hills after his close friend is killed. Murphy wants to find out who killed his friend and why. What he discovers is one of the largest illegal drug fronts around in an art museum. Now it is up to Murphy to bring down the bad guys and save the day. "Beverly Hills Cop" is a film that showed the greatness of the 1980s. A pop-culture, box office hit that was funny and full of action and sported a smashing soundtrack. A nice film that is one of the most memorable money-makers of the decade that was the 80s. 4 stars out of 5.
41 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my all-time favorites: witty, warm, and very funny!
EdKoh20 October 1999
Martin Brest has only made five feature films (Going in style, BHC, Midnight run, Scent of a woman, and Meet Joe Black), films strikingly different from one another, but that all share certain traits. They are finely crafted, energetic, and extraordinarily human. The warmth and friendship shine through, even through the gun- and fist-play which are obligatory in a cops-and-robbers movie. This is one of the first and best prototypes of the buddy movie.

Brest's casting is superb, and he elicits performances which are often the best of even young actors' careers. Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, and Ronnie Cox are outstanding, and the ensemble clicks like a well-oiled infield. To me, this movie is still far and away Eddie Murphy's best performance. He is remarkably talented, a comic genius. As an actor, his expressions are sometimes outlandish, but always completely in character, and appropriate to the dramatic situation. Villain Victor Maitland (played by Steven Berkoff, the husband of Alberta Watson, Madeline in La Femme Nikita) is chillingly underplayed; the cold-blooded evil shines through the civilized facade.

BHC is one of the few movies which I can watch with my loved ones again and again and never tire. Even as a comedy, it has a solidness and integrity which make it extremely durable. I look forward eagerly to Martin Brest's next film. Meanwhile, I always have Beverly Hills Cop.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funniest combination of bananas and tail pipes in cinematic history...!
Anonymous_Maxine11 November 2004
Beverly Hills Cop is by far Eddie Murphy's most popular role, and the movie that officially launched his career as a genuine movie star. It was one of those movies that my dad would let my brother and I watch on weekends, after my mom made him promise not to show us any rated R movies, and over the years it's easy to forget the level of violence and profanity in it that earned it that forbidding rating. Of course, as a kid I was just excited that I was getting to see something that I shouldn't, but in retrospect I tend to think that it was this combination of clever comedy and the ingredients from harder action thrillers that ensured Beverly Hills Cop's status as a cop comedy classic.

You see, Foley has a bit of a criminal past of his own, but he is clearly much more at home on the right side of the law, and he uses his experiences in crime to his advantage in working his way into the criminal underworld, where he routinely attempts to bring down major crime ring kingpins. One day an old friend comes to visit him after having been released from prison and spending some time relaxing in the California sun. The two have a great time at the bar recounting their old criminal days together, until we learn that this guy, who once took the fall for one of Axel's crimes and served prison time for him without ever mentioning his name, now has stolen bearer bonds with him worth millions. Before long the owner of the bonds shows up and is not in a reminiscent mood. Axel is knocked out as they're staggering back to his apartment for the night, and he wakes up to find his friend murdered.

The movie follows one of the biggest 1980s action movie clichés to the letter. Every single line is here, 'take some time off,' 'stay away from this case,' 'if you go after this guy don't bother calling in on Monday,' etc. My eyes tend to glaze over whenever I hear this situation in a movie, probably because I work so much and in such situations can only think of how great it would be if my bosses told me to take some time off, go on vacation, don't let them catch me working or they'll fire me. But Foley's trip to Beverly Hills to perform his own investigation yields results so promising that it keeps the movie moving along at a pretty fast pace. Of course we realize the real life odds of a police officer traveling to the other side of the country and immediately stumbling across the major crime organization that he's looking for, but Murphy's quick-talking wit and street-wise charm makes it pretty easy to root for him.

The movie has the perfect premise to combine with Murphy's personality – he's an urban cop from Detroit named Axel Foley who is always driving his boss insane because he doesn't wait for piddly things like authorization when he wants to do major undercover work. The movie opens with one of these undercover and under the radar missions, which culminates in the police being called and then a major car chase through city and residential streets that must have caused millions of dollars in damage. Of course, when the cops have Axel at gunpoint, he gives them a grin and they shake their heads and lower their guns. Aw shucks, it's that crazy Foley again!

Judge Reinhold and John Ashton play Detectives Rosewood and Taggart, two of Beverly Hillss finest who are assigned to keep an eye on Foley and make sure he doesn't start doing police work while a dozen states or so outside his jurisdiction, from which he's suspended anyway. So Foley moves around among the Ferraris and BMWs and Mercedeses of Beverly Hills in his ancient, beat up Chevy Nova, cheerfully laughing at Taggart's and Rosewood's bumbling efforts to tail him and doing his investigation right under their noses.

In the standard buddy cop movie sitcom, you have two wildly different people thrown together in a police partnership situation and forced to work together. This was a staple of the 1980s and has remained popular to this day, with classic movies like Lethal Weapon, Tango & Cash, 48 hours (one of Murphy's own earlier comedies), Red Heat, Rush Hour (could two cops ever be more different than Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan?), and possibly my favorite, Hot Fuzz. And of course I shouldn't forget Bad Boys, which may very well have so much in common with Beverly Hills Cop as to warrant suspicion of plagiarism. I'll let it go though. I'm sure Eddie Murphy doesn't mind. Anyway, Beverly Hills Cop does follow all of the basic rules of your standard buddy cop movie, but somehow manages to avoid feeling like a formula film.

The combination of Axel's determination to avenge his friend's murder is juxtaposed with hilarious situations involving Taggart and Rosewood trying in vain to keep an eye on him, as well as various police organizations tearing their hair out trying to keep him under control. Picture the police chief in Last Action Hero, a bad movie for which I maintain a certain affection, and make him intelligible and add a lot of profanity and you'll get some idea of what's going on here. I don't know that Beverly Hills Cop can quite be called a comedy classic, but it is definitely an action comedy classic.

Also keep your eye out for the hilarious cameo from Bronson Pinchot, who you may remember as Balki from Perfect Strangers! Eleventh best TV show ever!
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another brilliant 80s movie
Schmuck-418 July 1999
Without a doubt this film sums up the 80s; a feel-good movie with a great soundtrack and jaw-dropping stunts -- like that shot in the opening chase sequence with the bus doing a powerslide. And of course, Eddie Murphy's hilariously funny one-liners serve as a comic contrast to the violence and profanity. Why can't they make movies like this anymore?
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The heat is on - indeed!
Spikeopath29 November 2009
Cocky rule dodging Detroit Cop Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) heads to Beverly Hills in search of those responsible for murdering his friend. Upon getting there he falls foul of everyone he meets due to his tough Detroit approach work. Undaunted, Foley, aided by old friend Jenny Summers (Lisa Eilbacher) and two intrigued local detectives, starts to unravel the mystery.

Hey Axel you got a cigarette?

There was a time when Eddie Murphy ruled the world. After Trading Places had introduced us to his sharp comedic tongue, and 48 Hours had shown him to be a more than capable action character actor, Beverly Hills Cop fused the two together and propelled Murphy to super stardom. Directed by Martin Brest and produced by Messers Simpson & Bruckheimer, it's really no surprise that "Hills Cop" is shallow, simple (a fish out of water comedy standard) and utterly commercial. Yet with its gusto, humorous script (Daniel Petrie Jr) and neat plotting, it becomes a hugely entertaining film - led superbly by Murphy due to infectious comedy energy and superb knack for timing.

You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe routine!

It's hard to believe that the likes of Sly Stallone and Al Pacino were first mooted for the role, so not as a comedy one imagines, but as it being a standard police action movie, but enter Murphy and it ended up as a fine blend of action and comedy. There's little digs at Beverly Hills and its smugness, a way of life that Foley, with his down on the streets toughness, can't comprehend, while opposing police methods also get a wry once over - wonderfully threaded in the relationship between Foley, Taggart (John Ashton) and Rosewood (Judge Reinhold).

Small gripes reside, such as Steven Berkoff's by the numbers villain being something of a let down and Ronny Cox is sadly playing filler time with an underwritten character. But this is about Murphy, the fabulous stunt work and the successful union of action and comedy. And hey! even Harold Faltermeyer's bobbing synth score, "Axel F," has a nippiness that remains quintessentially 1980s. 8/10
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best cop movie ever made!
jellyneckr1 August 2004
In the past thirty years, there have been more movies made in the cop genre than any other genre. Out of all of the cop movies made, BEVERLY HILLS COP still stands out as the best very best one. Twenty years after it was released into theaters in December of 1984, the movie remains to be one of the most popular and highest grossing action comedies of all time, making $234 million in the U.S. and $316 million worldwide.

When his friend Mikey Tandino is murdered, Detroit police officer Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy) travels to Beverly Hills to investigate and find Mikey's killer. Lots of gunfire, laughs, and memorable quotes ensue. Highlights include Bronson Pinchot's cameo, the banana scene, and Eddie Murphy's "supercop" speech. ****
39 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eddie Murphy at the peak of his career
AlsExGal23 December 2017
Mega-hit action comedy from Paramount Pictures and producing duo Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer. Eddie Murphy became a genuine superstar with the starring role of Detroit Detective Axel Foley, a rule breaker and wisecracker that travels to Beverly Hills to solve a childhood friend's murder. It puts him at odds with a shady art dealer (Steven Berkoff) and the Beverly Hills police department. But Foley soon proves his mettle out West as he obviously has superior detective skills compared to his rule centric equivalents in Beverly Hills.

There are a lot of laughs here, and Murphy has tons of screen charisma. A lot of this will probably seem routine to modern audiences, but at the time this film established the action-comedy as one of the biggest genres of the decade. It also contains one of the signature 80's soundtracks, both the pop songs (several of which charted) and the score by Harold Faltermeyer, which includes the top ten single "Axel F." Directed by Martin Brest.

What helped make this film so great - the very fact that nobody involved KNEW it was great until it got rave audience reaction, is exactly what killed the sequel. Beverly Hills Cop Two rests too much on the laurels of the original, but then that is another story.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy at his best!
george.schmidt27 February 2003
BEVERLY HILLS COP (1984) ***1/2 Eddie Murphy, Lisa Eilbacher, Ronny Cox, John Ashton, Judge Reinhold, Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot. Murphy, hot off his debut in `48 HRS' wisely continued to ride his rising star in this his first starring vehicle, tailor-made for his fast-talking, fun-loving, street-smart persona as Detroit undercover cop Axel Foley in this blockbuster hit who heads to posh Beverly Hills to investigate the murder of a good friend mixed up in a drug smuggler's art dealer front headed by equally good friend Eilbacher, and faster than you can say fish-out-of-water he's rousted by Beverly Hills finest, Ashton and Reihold – a modern day Laurel and Hardy if you will, only to continue to fluster as he tries to unearth the muck in the richest city in America. Pinchot steals the show as the effete, espresso hawiking art shop clerk Serge. Lots of laughs and a good blend of action (this was once earmarked for Sylvester Stallone!) and sprinkled with pop tunes that led to an even bigger soundtrack goldmine. Waycool instrumental theme music via Harold Faltemeyer.
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action pace and comedy by a magnificent Eddie Murphy
ma-cortes2 October 2006
Axel Foley(Murphy) is a foul-mouth,street-smart and freewheeling Detroit police agent ,when a friend is murdered ,he heads to L.A. to investigate.He arrives to Beverly Hills where finds an old friend(Lisa Eilbacher) .The clues lead a mobster(Steven Berkoff)and henchman(Jonathan Banks)suspects of killing,drugs and customs bonds.He's helped by a pair of sympathetics L.A. detectives(John Ashton,Judge Reinhold) causing wreck havoc on the way.

The picture mingles action packed,thriller,fast pace,tongue in check with humor.It's a recital Eddie Murphy accompanied by two likable pals:Ashton and Reinhold creating an authentic buddy movie,besides a grouch chief(Ronny Cox).The picture contains spectacular scenes,stopped action as is usual in the Dom Simpson-Jerry Brukheimer productions.Hilarious relief at charge of Eddie Murphy but his fast talking and jokes with the buddies cause most big laughs and gags subordinated to action.This vehicle for Eddie Murphy as freelance police is terrific,it's his greatest success and became him in a world star confirming his position as number one in the box-office.Catching music with international hit smash by Harol Faltermeyer.Glimmer and atmospheric music by Bruce Surtees( classic cameraman Robert Surtees's son).The motion picture is well directed by Martin Brest.It's followed by two inferior sequels with similar actors and producers ,the second part directed by Tony Scott and the third part directed by John Landis.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Young but snappy "Fox" by Axel Fowley
mrdestroyer200124 April 2019
Just want to note that the phrase "Beverly Hills Cop" for me is not an empty sound. At the time of dinosaurs (well, you understood: "VCRs") I had a pirated video recording, which, however, was the third part of "The Beverly Hills Cop" and in the appendage of the cartoons of Metro Golden Mayer. You remember such SCEN'L cassettes.

"A Cop from B.H." is from Paramount. And I will give time and a place to sources. After all, the third part, of course, the third part, but it was interesting: how it all began. Chance presented himself 20 years after seeing Trikvela.

So. First of all, it was interesting to me how the characters known in the last part of the trilogy will converge in one territory. And I saw Serge and Billy Rosewood here. Serge in real life turned out to be Bronson Pinsho. And I have nowhere else except for two parts (the 3rd and 1st, in my case, respectively, in such a sequence) "Beverly Hills Cop" did not see. Judge Reinhold as Rosewood. Here is a boy at all. And also in the third part the name of Taggart was sounded. There, Flint replaced him. A good caste for the extreme part. But talking about the first. Taggart is played by john ashton . Soon I will switch to the flow of the film. In the meantime, finally, I'll say the Detroit police boss Douglas Todd performed by Gilbert R. Hill . The remaining roles can be considered minor.

In a separate text can be identified inimitable Eddie Murphy . And here he got the role of a policeman with humor. Unusual ingenuity and charisma. Axel Fowley - his hero - on the move comes up with and composes such pearls to achieve the goal, that you give a miracle. Even curls take. And how he laughs! ..

The above actors and their "brainchild" complement the main coloring of the picture. Everyone has their own genuine and unique character and zest.

The plot can be credited to a number of easy and unconstrained. Then just send such movies. The murder of a friend, search, revenge. But not so trite. Everything is within the framework of the law according to their plot, and within the framework of a proper script with us.

I noticed that in "Beverly Hills Cop" my handwriting was defined. Its rod. This will find its place in the next two parts of the film.

Humor is also present. And this is despite the fact that the film itself looks in the same breath, there is also a "crust" on level ground. When the final outcome went, Billy pulled Taggart up to get over the fence. I burst out laughing. And this scene is quite long and quite funny.

In general, I do not regret that I got acquainted with this film. But the third part is still better for me. Excuse me to bow ...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Murphy Carries a Movie
Angry_Arguer21 July 2003
Rather than having an incompetent Nick Nolte for a partner as in 48 Hours, Eddie Murphy shows he can take control of a movie all by himself. This was in the days when Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer were getting started in their modern appeal to the dollar. It also proves to be the best. Audio is skimped on, as it always is in their movies, but the highlight is the fact that Martin Brest--previously fired off of WarGames--doesn't let Bruckheimer get in the way of the story.

Had a less competent director, say Tony Scott or Michael Bay, been put in charge, the movie would have fallen apart like BHC II did. Fortunately, Brest knows how far to push things and when to back off. He is helped by Arthur Coburn and Billy Weber, two of the best editors short of Michael Kahn. It's too bad that Arthur lost precedence in Hollywood and Billy wound up a slave to Bruckheimer.

The charge in this movie is still strong after nearly 20 years, but there are obvious signs of aging. Thankfully, the dialogue is not Bruckheimer's typical macho-BS, but rather natural and fluid. Eddie delivers again and again. The remainder of the cast, obscure as they are fair, but it is John Ashton who has the least trouble with his lines.

The only major fault I find with BHC is not in the film itself, but rather in how many times the formula has been duplicated, mimicked, plagarized, and copied. Each time less inventive or original than the rest.

Overall, funny and somewhat vulgar (this is not for fans of Dr. Doolittle or The Nutty Professor), but it shows when Eddie was at his pinnacle of ability...before the inferior screenwriters took over. A gem of the 80s. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie that launched Eddie into Superstardom.
dabooneman817 March 2004
I've Seen this movie over Twenty times and i know the scenes word for word.It showed that comedians could be thrown in serious roles,instead of just playing a clown or fool.It was good from start to finish. Glen Frey's song "The Heat is on" Gets you pumped up to watch the movie.And "Axel F is a great theme Song. The movie takes you on a thrill ride from the back of a truck where Murphy's hanging from,high speed chase,chewing out from Axel's boss,To his fish out of water experiences in Beverly Hills.To a Strip Club(funniest scene in movie)-my opinion.To shoot outs ,and cameos by Bronson Pinchot and Damon Wayans.It started a trend in movies too.Movies that followed this one shows that.Formula=ordinary individual,serious role or job,bullets, laughs,a touch of drama or dramatics,chase by car or on foot and over the topness. MUST SEE FOR MURPHY FANS!!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Heat Is On
Axel-930 October 1998
The first time I saw this film was as a terrestrial tv premier, one Christmas holiday. Now not having seen it before, I found this edited for tv version hilarious. A few years later, I finally had my chance to watch it in all its profanity strewn glory. The moment where Foley's (Murphy) boss first walks into the the locker room, and launches into a tirade of F words, is just incredibly funny, especially if like me you believe that a proper comedy should contain swearing. As far as the story stands, Murphy is Axel Foley, the motormouthed detective with attitude. When an old friend of his is killed, he goes in search of the perpetrators. The case leads him to Beverly Hills, where he eventually teams up with two local cops (John Ashton playing grumpy and Judge Reinhold his younger, more easily influenced partner), and we move from great scene to great scene (a banana in the tail pipe, and a strip bar to name two). Murphy is electric in the role that made him the biggest star of the period, his street talk is funny and very profane. Ashton and Reinhold give able support, as the often bickering detective duo, and Steven Berkoff is suitably menacing as the villain. There is also a stomach achingly funny cameo from Bronson Pinchot as a camp art gallery employee, and his scene with Murphy lives long in the memory. In fact, many of the best comic moments are the sort you suddenly think of on the bus/train, and cause you to laugh out loud in public. To this day it stands as the highest grossing R rated film in America, and it lasted 13 weeks at the number 1 spot, a record recently broken by Titanic.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite Eddie Murphy film!
LebowskiT10008 August 2003
Every time I see Eddie Murphy the first thing that comes to mind is "Beverly Hills Cop" and how wonderful of a movie this is. This film is possibly one of the best action-comedy films out there. The action is done extremely well, the comedy is right on, the characters are likable, the acting is fantastic, and the story is great.

Eddie Murphy really shines in this role as Axel Foley, a very likable Detroit Cop, and does a fantastic job of laying out the groundwork for a great franchise, as does director Martin Brest. Judge Reinhold and John Ashton play Axel's Beverly Hills counterparts. Both pulling off fantastic performances and playing very enjoyable characters. Ronny Cox also does a fine job with his role in the film. Bronson Pinchot and Paul Reiser also deserve some notice as well, despite having very little screen time, they both make the best of it. I'd also like to point a little known actor named Damon Wayans in the film, playing an extremely small part, but nonetheless a good one (he's the man that gives Axel the bananas).

As I mentioned before the action and the comedy are right on and the scenes flows very nicely together, you never once get bored throughout the film. If you are one of the few people on this earth that hasn't seen "Beverly Hills Cop", I strongly suggest you watch this one. It's a fantastic film and deserves to be seen. Hope you enjoy(ed) it. Thanks for reading,

-LebowskiT1000
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best curse show ever.
gsprods4 January 2000
The funniest R rated film ever. The opening scene "I'm a businessman, talk to me" establishes the mood as we listen in on Eddie Murphy doing his trademank jive talk. A few minutes later, Inspector Todd breaks the all-time record for cursing in a hilarious scene with Eddie and Paul Reiser listening on. The film is well cast all the way down to the smallest roles and Eddie is in top form, but not enough credit has been given to the excellent screenplay. A lot of people forget that the script was nominated for an Oscar. They think Eddie improvised all his lines and that all they did was insert swear words. What they actually did was take a classic fish out of water premise (Eddie in Beverly Hills!) and spin a wonderful variaion on it with rich, lovable characters and creative use of language. The salty language in this movie is used in a way that stings more than actual violence does. Could Inspector Todd be any more menacing if he actually had a weapon in his hands? No. His mouth is the weapon. Every character in this movie, all the way down to the Bronson Pinchot character, has a unigue way with words. It's the screenplay, not just the energtic acting, that will alow this movie to stand the test of time. Also check out Director Martin Brest's follow up film, Midnight Run, which also has a screenplay laced with salty words spoken poetically and richly drawn characters.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Heat Is On!
eric2620032 September 2013
I first saw "Beverly Hills Cop" when i was an adolescent and that was a very long time time ago. I haven't seen it in decades until now. I can't believe how actors change their form of comedy over the years. And Eddie Murphy truly defines that. He used to be bold, raunchy and didn't give a crap about being image conscious like our society has become. Here in "Beverly Hills Cop" he just dominated his way through bar-none. From the opening scene where goes undercover selling cigarettes to some rather shady dudes to the engaging finale, Murphy sells his character without any real effort. Even though he's very funny, there are moments where falters on being way too serious. Yes every time I see this movie it brings a tear to my eyes. And the reason for that is I know Murphy can still provide solid comedy but all he does know is little kiddie film like "Daddy Day Care", "Pluto Nash", and "Norbit".

Axel Foley (Murphy) is a cop from Detroit who is a man of great potential, but his weakness is that he is very aggressive. He has all the right tools to be a cop, He is smart, dedicated to his job, but he is also very headstrong. Behind his superior's back he arranges undercover busts,which makes him not a model employee. One day a chum from his past pays him a visit. When they arrive at Foley's apartment, two thugs attacked him knocking Foley out and killing his best friend. The two thugs are professional hit men. Foley was demanded by his boss to stay away from the case and ventures off to Beverly Hills where he takes some time off from police duty. His friend last took a job in Beverly Hills and this is where Foley has an epiphany that his friend's boss may have been a conspirator behind his murder. Foley encounters some cops from Beverly Hills and the action and comedy gets underway.

Overall, this movie is nothing more than just kicking back and enjoying the memorable ride. The slapstick factor is proved quite effective and the action is quite effective. But the highlight of the night is when Axel talks trash and boy does he ever throughout the 1 hour and forty-five minute duration. The dialogue is easily funny, but also at the same time it is sharp and the dialogue is quite intelligent. The music is quite fitting for the time period even though it is dated by today's standards. Director Martin Brest's formula was proved successful.For a 105 minute film, this movie flows at pace faster than a blink of an eye. It's just an above average action comedy cop movie.

People who have followed Eddie Murphy since the early 1980's are familiar with the type of comedy that Murphy was at the time famous for. To the people who only remember Eddie Murphy for kid-friendly fluff like "Haunted Mansion," and "Drillbit Taylor" will be shocked that the Eddie Murphy they know now used to make more edgier films and never cared about being image conscious. I have always had respect for Eddie Murphy, but I liked him better when he starred in movies like "Beverly Hills Cop".
Hugely enjoyable and features Eddie Murphy in his best role
TheLittleSongbird25 September 2010
Wow, I was surprised at how brilliant this film was. It was funny and thrilling and had Eddie Murphy in his best role. It looks great, with the cinematography, scenery and editing all stylish, and the soundtrack is note-perfect, while the script is fresh, believable and funny with plenty of wit, and the story is thrilling and fast paced. The direction is assured, and the acting is great. Eddie Murphy is brilliant playing his most likable character to date, and shares a believable chemistry with Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Lisa Eilbacher and Steven Berkoff who all match him without fault. In conclusion, greatly enjoyable, and much better than its sequel. 10/10 Bethany Cox
Murphy separates "BHC" from the rest of the 80s cop film junk pile
Movie_Muse_Reviews9 December 2008
They just don't make 'em like they used to--80s cop flicks starring a rebel protagonist with a smart mouth. It's sort of its own classic genre and it's epitomized by "Beverly Hills Cop." The movie is nothing near sensational, especially considering how the genre has transformed simply by virtue of technology, but it has a niche near and dear to the hearts of many.

Eddie Murphy stars as Axel Foley, a detective for the Detroit PD with a knack for doing things the theatrical and brash way. After getting an earful from his boss, a friend is killed and Foley decides to investigate his friends' case (despite warnings from his boss), which will take him to Beverly Hills where he gets caught up in some drug pushing. He also has a couple of LAPD guys on his tail making sure he stays out of trouble, which of course he doesn't. In fact, he ropes the two of them into it.

Murphy is far and away the best part the movie. His lines are well written as he plays this foul-mouthed troublemaker that always keeps the moment awkward with a tone of voice and jokes that completely don't fit the situation. The rest of the cast is pretty much garbage. A few good roles here and there, but the acting is mostly forgettable.

The story isn't too important. It just sets up situations for Foley to be the rule-breaking, crazy cop who never learns but always comes out on top. It also sets up some neat chase/action sequences, which consists of the film crew driving trucks like wrecking balls down a street full of cars and bashing everything in sight.

The film also makes itself a very clear tribute to the grooves of the 80s, many times when those songs are completely out of place. The film's iconic synthesized theme works, but the rest of the song choices add too much of a playful, not-serious tone for a film that does try to be a crime drama in ways.

"Beverly Hills Cop" is certainly the antidote for a case of "haven't seen enough 80s action movies lately," but other than that it's just a plain cop drama with an interesting main character.
Eddie Murphy: Man With A Mission
DarthBill16 April 2004
In a film originally intended to be a Sylvester Stallone vehicle, Eddie Murphy finally made the big transition from Saturday Night Live player to and scene stealing partner to the likes of Nick Nolte (48 Hours) and Dan Aykroyd (Trading Places) a full fledged movie star. Murphy plays a tough, street smart and sometimes very unlikely Detroit cop (and naturally an ex-con himself) who heads to Beverly Hills when a long time friend is mysteriously murdered. There he hooks up with another old friend, Jenny, and makes an uneasy alliance with local cop Judge Reinhold while the other cops (John Ashton, Ronny Cox) take to an immediate dislike to Murphy.

This is a great showcase for Murphy fast talking antics and trademark laugh as he stays one step ahead of the cops and villains alike and generally spouts all kinds of nonsense that you can't help laughing at. Also memorable is the theme music and the song "Stir It Up". Don't miss Murphy impersonating a homosexual and mocking a fellow black police officer's way of talking.
Eddie's Best!!!
tayster12-512 February 2003
I admit, I haven't seen this film for a few years now, but I remember seeing it the last time and thinking, "This is as funny now as it was in 1984!"

I have always thought Eddie Murphy was one of the funniest people in Hollywood. From his days on S.N.L. to his comedy albums that I had to listen to with headphones to movies like '48 Hours' and 'Trading Places', I thought Eddie was fabulous. When I saw 'Beverly Hills Cop', I knew right then that his career could only down from there.

Don't get me wrong, he's done some funny stuff since then, but none of it comes close to Axel Foley in this movie. Not even the sequels came close...then again, very few sequels ever do.

Still, I'd have to say one of my favorite parts of this movie deals with Axel meeting Serge (Bronson Pinchot) for the first time. I laugh just thinking about it.

Do yourself a favor. Watch this movie. It is extremely funny and sure to please.

Oh, and by the way, remember that the Eddie Murphy in this movie is the pre-'Nutty Professor'/'Dr. Dolittle'/'Shrek' Eddie Murphy. This is not a show for your kids!
A timeless classic
CuriosityKilledShawn6 August 2000
"That the film turned out to be coherent is a miracle. That it is successful proves there is a God." -Martin Brest on his own movie.

It's easy to understand his feelings when you consider the endless changes made to Danilo Bach and Daniel Petrie Jr's script. They got an Academy Award nomination, but the final product is a million miles away from what they originally conceived.

Axel Foley was originally written for Mickey Rourke, then it was geared around Sylvester Stallone, who significantly rewrote the script further before abandoning the project a couple of weeks before shooting was scheduled to begin. Eddie Murphy was brought on board at the last minute, and the script was re-written yet again to form the movie we know today. Bizarrely, all of the work Stallone did on the script was recycled into his reprehensible 1986 action movie Cobra, which, on top of being nothing at all like Beverly Hills Cop, called itself an adaptation of a novel called Fair Game by Paula Gosling (which it also bore little-to-no resemblance to). Nine years later, that novel was once again made into a movie of the same name starring William Baldwin and Cindy Crawford, which bore no resemblance to Cobra. When I say that Beverly Hills Cop had the biggest hodgepodge of a shooting script ever, you better believe it.

The story could not get any simpler. Young renegade Detroit cop Axel Foley, forever tormenting his no-nonsense boss with his reckless antics, meets up with a childhood pal only for him to be murdered that very night. Axel follows the trail and travels to Beverly Hills in his crappy, banged-up sky-blue Chevy Nova. It's a world away from the streets of Detroit. Even the patrol cops look like soap opera actors. Axel's fast and loose work ethic, barely on the good side of the law, doesn't sit well with the Beverly Hills police department. Detectives Taggart and Rosewood (John Ashton and Judge Reinhold doing a Laurel and Hardy routine) are assigned to keep an eye on Axel as he very quickly discovers the bad guy.

No twists, no surprises, and barely a couple layers deep, it's amazing that a story so superficial is able get 105 minutes of mileage. The film works thanks to Murphy's cheerful, upbeat performance and Martin Brest's ability to keep it light. Beverly Hills Cop would not have worked as a dark thriller. Harold Faltermeyer's iconic score and world-famous Axel F theme tune certainly help the happy-go-lucky nature.

There are certainly shortcomings. Steven Berkoff, as Victor Maitland, is completely unconvincing as the villain. In fact, with the exception of Bennett from Commando, he's probably the least threatening/most campiest villain I've ever seen in a movie. And, as I have mentioned, the story is very straightforward. Taggart and Rosewood do virtually no police work and are just bystanders watching and reacting to Axel's hustles. Apart from one cruise along Rodeo Drive, we never really see or feel the glamor of Beverly Hills to juxtapose it next to the grime of Detroit. There are just too many interior scenes.

But it never fails to entertain and is truly the highlight of Murphy's career. Once, long before he sold out to family audiences, his R-rated movies were huge business, and Beverly Hills Cop showcases his leading man ability at its very best.