Night Court (TV Series 1984–1992) Poster

(1984–1992)

A great spectacle in the history of sitcoms
Agent1022 July 2002
One of the best comedies of all time, this series will always have a special place in my heart. Not only was Harry Anderson and John Larroquette excellent in their roles along with back up characters like Richard Moll, Markie Post, Charles Robinson, Florence Halop, Marsha Warfield, and Mike Finneran. Often times great, with great guest performances by the likes of Dick Butkus and Mel Torme, this was one of those Golden Oldie sitcoms that should be considered one of the patron saints of the medium. Nowadays, most sitcoms die and fluster, but this one was excellent from the start. Hopefully, a special set with all of the episodes will be released someday, because I will most certainly get this set.
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sleaze done correctly. Great show.
BlackJack_B16 May 2002
Night Court was one of a series of great sitcoms that aired during NBC's dominance in the late 80's. The ongoing careers and lives of a judge, his lawyers, and other officials was probably the best sitcom in the line-up along with The Golden Girls.

Unlike today's sitcoms where everyone portrays Woody Allen and has "sex on the brain", only one man, ONE MAN, in the cast was thinking non-stop about sexing. John Laroquette, as Dan Fielding; Assistant DA of New York, was brilliant in portraying the sleazy, sexually-addicted hunk. He won 4 Emmys for his portrayal (more then anyone else currently in T.V. comedy will ever hope to win). There were episodes where he alone made the show a gas. But you also have Harry Anderson's Judge Harold T. Stone; who's flair for magic and Mel Torme made him a much-loved star and 6'9 bailiff Nostradamus "Bull" Shannon helped make a name for Richard Moll as he played the simple-minded Forrest Gump-type lug that people would want to know. The other cast members were superb as well, especially as soon as they brought in Markie Post as the permanent Public Defender and deadpan comic Marsha Warfield as Bailiff Roz Russell in 1986. The cast stayed together until 1992 and it gelled beautifully.

With great stories and lots of hilarity, the show ruled, and although it was adult in nature because of Larroquette's character, it did it in a classy way. You couldn't hate Dan, he just had charm and flair, and wasn't something from "Friends". I believe this show is still running on A&E so if you've never seen this classic sit-com, give it a try and see what a sit-com is supposed to be like.
28 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably my all-time favorite sitcom
Therod4 August 2001
Of all the great sitcoms that came out of the 80s, this one takes the cake as my favorite. The cast couldn't be better and the gags are still hilarious even today. Excellent performances all-around, especially by Anderson and Larroquette.

On a side note, one of my favorite quotes of all-time comes from "Night Court" ---

Man in courtroom: "Why is the sky blue?" Harry: "Because if it was green, we wouldn't know where to stop mowing."
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite shows of all time, period
mattkratz28 December 2000
They don't make shows like this anymore, which is a real shame. This was my favorite tv show of the time period, bar none.

Harry Anderson gave perhaps the best role of his career as the manic Judge Harry, and was absolutely wonderful. Richard Moll, Markie Post, and John Larroquette also made the show memorable. If you loved sitcoms that delivered nonstop laughs and great characters, the one's for you. Incidentally, "The Practice" guest star Ray Abruzzo appeared on this show for a few years.

**** out of ****
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wicked sense of humor
mcfly-3115 July 1999
"Night Court" was one of the more bizarre shows to come along. The only time I've ever seen a show that featured a lot of slapstick and raunchy gags, unlike any other sitcom. Harry Anderson was Harry Stone, a zany judge who loved magic and silly props, which he would pull outta nowhere a lot of the time. In his court was my all time fave sitcom actor John Larroquette, as smutty Dan Fielding, a womanizing, outspoken district attorney. There was also well meaning but dumber than cotton Bull Shannon, a towering bailiff. These three were really the only ones who were around from the shows first episode. I'd have to say they may have set a record for most cast changes for a sitcom as there were at least 4(!) leading female characters. There was Karen Austin, Ellen Foley for a season, than a series of several replacement actresses for a few weeks before Markie Post finally grounded herself as the main female character. Also along midway through were Charles Robinson as Mac, Florence Hallop, who died shortly after joining the show, and she was replacing Selma Diamond who also passed away. Finally the producers went with a younger choice, Marsha Warfield as no nonsense Roz. Lots of great episodes, of mention the one where Harry's old college friend shows up. Anderson and Larroquette end up on a ledge nude which leads to the shows best line ever when one looks down at the others privates: "So, what's up?" They ended their run in 92 with an extremely disappointing show, which wrapped the characters fates nicely, but lacked any type of laughs at all. But still a terrific bunch of shows midway through the 80s make it one of the best, if edgiest, shows ever.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wicked sense of humor
mcfly-317 November 2000
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dan Fielding is my hero!!!
coverme62 April 2000
"Night Court", one of the best sitcoms to ever come out of the '80s, is back in the air in the A&E channel. The wacky crew of the Night Court can always make me laugh out loud ever afternoon after a long, tiresome day of high school. The whole cast is terrific, especially by Harry Anderson (Harry), Marsha Warfield (Roz), and Richard Moll (Bull), but I say the guy who really brings down the house with his sleazy and smart-assed attitude is John Larroquette, or better known as Dan Fielding in the show. It's hilarious to think that he is so horny all the time, that most women would degrade him as something lower than dogs***! But some don't notice how Dan is a good, caring person at heart. You don't know what I mean, you say? Watch "Night Court" at the A&E station
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Best Shows Ever!
Thor20007 April 2001
I loved this show while it was on. In the beginning it followed the same premise of Barney Miller depicting the fact that city officials are just people themselves doing a job, but with the incredibly gorgeous Markie Post on the show for every one to drool over, the show became wildly cartoony, illogical and wild while it kept all the straight and contemplative issues that had made it a hit. Post really saved this show with her too perfect to be real figure while she followed the rigid restraints of a nun. John Larroquette was her perfect nemesis as the lecherous but snobbish Dan Fielding and Harry Anderson as the judge with a Peter Pan complex. The supporting staff of Charlie Robinson, Marsha Warfield and the ever likeable Richard Moll also became stars in this incredible show, but it had really lost its steam when Christine lost her virginity to have a baby and Dan found his morals. From there, the show just wasn't as good, and the roller coaster ride, as great as it was, was over.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the 80's Best
wolf00812 February 2002
The 80's produced some of Televisions best sitcom's, and Night Court is one of the eras shining examples. Harry Anderson's, Judge Harold T Stone is surrounded by an eccentric but very likable group. From the womanizing antics of John Larroquette's Dan Fielding, to Richard Moll's confused lovable giant, Bull Shannon, the cast never disappointed.

They were not afraid to be bizarre, as the writers would give us scenes such as Wild E Coyote appearing before Judge Stone for chasing the Road Runner. The cast would also face believable moral dilemmas, that alot of today's sitcom's do not dare attempt, or pull off as successfully.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Do You Plead!! Please Please Please!!
dataconflossmoor16 July 2007
This has to be one of the zaniest shows ever to be on television!! Harry Anderson plays the unconventional and precocious judge who has a flippant disposition when dealing with the petty misdemeanors of the lowlife dredge in New York City!! What is the best way of describing this series: One of the best shows on television!! Why? Totally razor sharp one liners, the thorough comprehension of complicated character portrayals, not to mention, the most bizarre situations that any T.V. show has ever depicted!! One of the funniest episodes was with some little guy who was hysterically funny, he came up with the heinous prank of a crumbling judge's desk! John Laraquette plays the sleazy district attorney who is sex crazed beyond imagination, or if you are a guy, he is normal!! Markie Post plays "Miss Goody Two Shoes" who gravitates to the sordid modus operandi that everyone else working the night court session precariously adheres to!! Paula Kelly was a comic relief on this show, as were Karen Austin and Charles Robinson!! Richard Moll and Marsha Warfield are the bailiffs who become bored and baffled at their uneventful lives, yet this monotony adds a whimsical element to this show.. Selma Diamond and Florence Halop were also good as bailiffs who lived and breathed nicotine!! "Night Court" was one of Thursday's powerful line up on NBC during the eighties!! It was a definite winner!!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rest In Peace judge
RjsMovie17 April 2018
Harry Anderson was comedy gold in night court but even more than they were those scenes where he showed heart and compassion and helped his friends . This show will always have a place in my heart I remember first seeing it as a young kid with my grandma and loved it then although not fully understands all the comedy .

As an adult it's even better . I've bought the first three seasons on DVD and recommend it if you enjoy great characters and a slick jazzy opening
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stumbled out of the gate, picked up some momentum and then faltered a bit near the end.
Aaron137511 December 2011
This show had a lot of cast changes during its first one or two seasons. Then it settled into a groove until the last season where it just got very strange and then had one of the worst finale episodes ever. Still, it was funny as Harry Anderson as the judge, John Larroquette as Dan the womanizing D.A. and Richard Moll as the dense, but good hearted Bull the bailiff were like the only three cast members to be in the show during its entire run and were the best characters. Mac, played by Charles Robinson and Markie Post as the public defender would also settle in and do well. The show had its problems with the second bailiff during its early run losing two older actresses as I believed both passed away, they would finally go with someone different in the form of Marsha Warfield. The show was simply about a court that operates at night (duh), and at times some very crazy things happen, near the end these things would get a bit to crazy. However, for the most part the show was funny as I tend to gravitate towards shows that revolve around a job or place of business more so than to a show that is about a family. A good show that was really funny during the middle stretch, but it did have a hard time getting out of the gate initially and kind of stumbled near the end.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vastly Underrated and Absolutely Hysterical!!!!
healz7418 August 2005
I was 10 years old when this show debuted in January of 1984, it is often seen as benefiting from, NBC's powerful Thursday Night Lineup in the 1980's. The lineup from 8 to 11 included The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Cheers, Night Court, and finally St. Elsewhere, in my opinion the best night in the history of prime time television. But simply dismissing Night Court for it's position in the lineup does not do it justice. This show was terrific! Who could have come up with the idea for a sitcom that takes place in a New York City court? Has there ever been a funnier character than Dan Fielding? John Larroquette won 4 consecutive Emmy's for this role, and they were all well deserved. A note of caution, this show is heavy on adult humor and adult situations and I would not recommend viewing by young children, my parents would not allow me to watch the show when it showcased some of its more controversial topics. Night Court ran for 9 years and went through many cast changes at its onset, unfortunately death played a role in some of these changes. The show definitely peaked with the additions of Mac, Christine, and Roz. Night Court concluded in 1992, what is amazing to me is how little syndication play it has received in the past 13 years. I remember it being shown for a short time on the A&E network in the late 1990's, but little more than that until TV Land recently aired a weekend marathon. I spent most of the weekend watching episodes I had not seen in 20 years, and they were every bit as funny, in fact funnier, as I am now old enough to understand their humor. TV Land will now air the show nightly at 11:30, I highly recommend checking it out.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best shows I've ever seen!
dekkersgirl24 February 2002
I may only be 14, but I know good shows when I see them. Now, I'm not sure how I found Night Court, but praise the lord I did. Every night on A&E I watch my favourite show of all time.

There's something different about Night Court, and I think most fans will agree. Though it may sometimes cross the line, Night Court viewers are never let down. As I've said, I'm 14, and none of my friends have ever watched this show, which I think is extremely unfortunate. This 80s sitcom is better than any show I've seen on TV now.

I will continue to watch Night Court every night, and if (hopefully) it is still on when I have kids, I will make them sit down and watch this classic.

5 stars out of 5.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only this show could use the line "BULL! I WANT TO BE YOUR LOVE SLAVE!' and get away w/ it...
gazzo-24 November 2005
.....this show was alotta fun, and that episode, where Bull was on Jeopardy (I think) while Dan Fielding was running for DA was a Scream! It was just the whole kit and caboodle right there, for the characters, the zaniness of the show and that era period.

You don't seem to hear much about it nowadays--Harry, Markie Post, Marsha Warfield have kinda disappeared, though you Know both Larroquette and Bull there will never be outta work, ditto Charles Robinson.

I thought the cast was great, the show had a fine line between chaotic slapstick and socially relevant plot lines, which oddly enough Worked though damned if I know how. For about 4 years-'85-89 or so, this show was at the top of it's game and by far the best of those NBC Cosby era sitcoms for my money.

They don't make'em like this anymore.

**** outta ****
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Sitcom Ever? Guilty
scooterbrowne21 October 2005
Put simply Night Court is and was the best sitcom ever, at least in the eyes of this reviewer.

The show went had a great cast throughout it's run. Harry Anderson as Judge Harry Stone, Richard Moll as the dumb but lovable ox Bull (pun not intended), John Larroquette as the sleazy sex craved Assistant D.A. Dan Fielding and Charles Robinson as Mac were there from the beginning. The show really took form with the additions of Markie Post as Defense Attorney Christine Sullivan and Marsha Warfield as Roz.

Harry was a Judge who loved Mel Torme and magic. He constantly played pranks on people and was constantly joking around. Bull was the giant-sized Baliff who was intimidating and had a mean streak but who was also dumb, funny and caring, hands down the best character on the show. Dan was money and power driven, always aspiring to get money quick no matter if it were legal or not. He also had a strong sexual desire and wanted as much sex as he could get whenever wherever. Christine always was very emotional and did her best to get her clients off the charges while fighting off Dan's advances and struggling with her feelings for Judge Stone. Roz was another Baliff. She was street tough who talked the talk and backed it up.

All the characters fit perfectly with one another and the show was always laugh out loud funny which is why it lasted almost a decade on TV and has been a constant in syndication. The show also had many famous guest stars that were either early in their careers or who were loved for decades by others. Some of those stars include Michael J. Fox, Michael Richards, Mel Torme and Yokov Smirnoff
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun cast
SnoopyStyle8 September 2013
Judge Harold T. Stone (Harry Anderson) is at times a silly and fun guy who presides over NYC's "Night Court". It's a petty court that deals with petty criminals in the dead of the night. The only reason Harry got the job is because nobody was at home to pick up the phone as each candidate was called. Yes the reason he got the job was because he was home. Dan Fielding (John Larroquette) is the womanizer prosecutor. Mac Robinson (Charles Robinson) is the court clerk. Bull (Richard Moll) and Selma Hacker (Selma Diamond) are the bailiffs. Roz Russell (Marsha Warfield) replaces Selma after her death. Billie Young (Ellen Foley) is the defense attorney for the first season and replaced by Christine Sullivan (Markie Post).

The best part of the show is the motley cast of characters who works the night court. It's a great group. Despite losing Selma and Billy, the show's chemistry is never lost. It's too bad that Ellen Foley got dropped. Billie has some fun romantic build-up with Harry. There is no doubt that Markie Post is an upgrade. This is a fun mid-level 80s comedy show.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious!
robodrolet26 April 2018
Rest In Peace, Harry Anderson <3

Night Court is one of the best sitcoms of all time and he is a big reason why. He was so funny and likable and an undervalued talent. His appearances on Cheers were also great and funny. A VERY good comedy magician as well.

He starred as a Night Court judge, the youngest in the history of New York, who does magic tricks and plays pranks on people with joke shop gags etc... but he's also a fair and brilliant judge with a big heart, who is always underestimated by others and always proves them wrong.

The cast around him is also awesome. Bull... three different female bailiffs who were all awesome in their own way... Markie Post... and don't forget John Larroquette who won several Emmy awards for the role he was born to play, the smooth talking, upwardly mobile, manipulative, ambitious, scumbag, womanizing assistant district attorney Dan Fielding.
One of the better 1980s to 1990s sitcoms
Torrin-McFinn7723 March 2018
I remember hearing the theme song in my early years and after watching Family Guy and while I knew it was familiar I had no idea from where it came. After watching some reruns on a digital TV channel I was hooked. Funny and entertaining cast, including Richard Moll (who later became a voice artist for both games and cartoons) who played the dense but cute bailiff Bull. If you haven't seen it, try it! Like Full House it had its roots in the 1980s and made the transition into the new decade which was the 1990s. And it didn't disappoint!
Still Funny
tpelletier21 January 2018
I remember this show from when I was little, watching it with my mom, dad, sisters and brother. All of us liked it a lot and laughed a lot but I wondered if I would actually enjoy it today if I watched it again, but when I did it actually holds up.

Harry Anderson stars as a wacky "night court" judge, stuck on the graveyard shift at a New York City courtroom. He's silly, tells a lot of bad "dad jokes" and does a lot of magic tricks (in real life he is a comedy magician, which he also had showed off in his guest roles on another great eighties sitcom, Cheers). So at first obviously he is dismissed as a goof but he's also actually got a lot of heart and wisdom and knowledge of the law, which is why he got to be a judge so young (and when he's so goofy) in the first place.

The defense attorney is a bleeding heart and very attractive young lady, who becomes Harry's romantic interest but also is the target of the lecherous, selfish, stop at nothing to win, heartless D.A. Dan Fielding, played by the hilarious John Larroquette who won many awards for this role. All of these characters are still likable and hold up today, as well as Mac the no nonsense court manager, the gigantic, dopey bald bailiff Bull (Richard Moll), and a succession of female bailiffs (two older, gruff talking, smoking bailiffs actually passed away in real life, and then Roz, the sassy black lady who takes no nonsense from anyone, particularly Dan). The supporting characters are also fantastic. Whoever cast this show, I hope they won a lot of awards.

The writing also holds up with a lot of great jokes. You can kind of tell where most of the stories are going, just like with any older sitcom, but it's still a lot of fun to get there when the characters are this likable and the jokes are still funny.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good
manitobaman811 September 2014
Comic actor Richard Moll is the only reason to watch this bloated, egotistical, self-important attempt at sitcom excellence.

Moll, he of no hair but great height, delivers a subdued, enigmatic performance as Bull the bailiff. It is some of his finest work ever. Moll fans will not want to miss this unique series, which lasted nine seasons on NBC and is now languishing in obscurity.

Without Moll, I am afraid to contemplate what this 1980s/90s series would have looked like. Because of Richard Moll as Bull the bailiff, I give this show a rating of 7 out of 10.

PS: Watch for Markie Post in the role that made her famous.
Classic '80's sitcom
Maniac-92 February 2012
Night Court was a comedy of its time and was hilarious when it aired. Show revolves around a late night small claims courthouse and the people who work their.

The judge is Harry Stone who's a big fan of magic and overall prankster and a huge fan of Mel Torme.

The prosecutor is Dan Fielding who's your usual womanizer and greedy individual.

Christine Sullivan plays the defense attorney who can be described as a bleeding heart, very naive and honest to a fault.

Mack plays the court clerk who was the most normal of all the characters.

Bull and Roz play the bailiffs. Bull was a big man who while being a bit slow witted was very child like. Roz was the tough as nails character you didn't want to mess with.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An intelligent comedy with an edge.
insomniac_rod11 February 2007
"Night Court" should be considered among the best 10 sitcoms of all time. I mean, the sole idea of a court is boring, tense, but "Night Court" converted it in the funniest place.

With such colorful, sleazy characters things couldn't get wrong in the court. Even supporting characters that included robbers, beggars, among others were truly hilarious.

Harry Anderson, the great Richard Moll, the GREAT John Larrouquette, Markie Post, Marsha W., Florence Halop, etc. conformed the perfect cast and seemed to have great chemistry between them. You can't get a better cast.

The situations were taken from real life but of course with spice. The result is a hilarious show with excellent characters and great situations.

I can't praise this show enough. Sony Entertainment Television Latin America aired re-runs in the late 90's but , sadly, I mean SADLY, they stopped running this show since 1999. I miss it very much. It was probably my favorite show and I didn't watch it when it originally came out.

Please, bring back "Night Court" the funniest serious sitcom.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funniest TV show in history
bobrobertsst29 December 2013
I have never seen another show that made me laugh virtually every 30 seconds. Every character in Night Court is hilarious in their own individuality! Even an occasional character I don't like still makes me laugh! I suggest you find this show on the Encore network (no advertising makes watching the show even funnier because you are not stressed by boring foolish advertising). This show is not appropriate for young children, so watch it while they are asleep and enjoy all the adult comedy involved without worrying about toning down the volume occasionally. If you don't think this show is hilarious you should probably look for Napoleon Dynamite which would match your lack of humor! Watch Night Court and laugh so hard you might cry!!!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really was a Good Show
DKosty1231 July 2007
This show was really a funny sitcom. Harry Anderson led an extremely talented cast. It's setting, the night court in New York City Richard Moll was great as Bull Shannon, court clerk. Harry was Judge Harry T Stone. John Larouquette was the DA whose sex machine designs on Markie post made things go.

There was the deadpan comedy of Selma Diamond & when she died her replacement Marsha Warfield didn't skip a beat. Some great guest stars livened up the series too including John Astin as Harry's Dad Buddy.

The writing was very good on this show & with the talented cast it couldn't help but be a very good show for quite a few bright years on NBC.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.