The Yang family was the loyal strong-arm of the Imperial army. But a jealous General betrays the Eilte Spearman and their father to the opposing Mongol army. After an ambush of a battle, ...
See full summary »
A couple unite - she is fluent in the crane style of kung fu, he in tiger style. They have a son, but the boy's father is killed by the evil eunuch Bai Mei. Disguised as a girl, his mom ... See full summary »
A Chinese man (Liu) marries a Japanese woman through an arranged marriage and manages to insult all of her Japanese martial arts family by issuing a challenge to her that is misinterpreted ... See full summary »
Supposedly dead, embittered former official, The Ghost Face Killer has returned and seeking revenge on those martial arts masters than once opposed him - his name is infamous and his Five ... See full summary »
After his students are killed by the One Armed Boxer, a vengeful and blind Kung Fu expert travels to a village where a martial arts contest is being held and vows to behead every one armed man he comes across.
Skilled fighter Sung Li Ting is looking for a Kung Fu master who can beat him in battle and teach him new techniques. Shaolin monk Shao Si Yer introduces Sung Li to the Shaolin teachings, ... See full summary »
The workers of a dye factory have their pay cut by 20% when the factory owner brings in some Manchu thugs to try and increase production. Desperate to reclaim their full wages, the workers ... See full summary »
The Yang family was the loyal strong-arm of the Imperial army. But a jealous General betrays the Eilte Spearman and their father to the opposing Mongol army. After an ambush of a battle, only two of the seven sons survive. One remains hidden by the family while the other lives on the run. The traitorous general must find them and silence them before either of them can testify to the Emperor of his treachery.Written by
When Sheng Fu was killed in car crash during filming script was rewritten to make Yang No. 5 the hero. See more »
The film's story takes place during the Song Dynasty of China which lasted from year 960 to 1279. Yet when the 5th Yang insists on having his head shaved at the Temple, the monks are using a straight razor which was not invented until the 1700s. See more »
8 Reasons to Watch "The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter" - Greatest of All Kung Fu Movies
8 Reasons to Watch "8 Diagram Pole Fighter"
Whether it would be your first time or 36th viewing, here are 8 reasons why you should watch, in my opinion, the greatest kung-fu movie of all time.
1) Liu-Chi-Liang/Lau Kar Leung --I grew up watching kung-fu films in decrepit New York City theaters as well as on Saturday 3PM on NY channel 5 - "Drive-In" feature. My favorite director of these action flicks was and still is Liu-Chi-Liang/Lau Kar Leung.
This legendary director is himself a marital artist (able to trace his mastery from demi-hero, Wong Fei Hung) and imparts adherence to the art of kung-fu in every movie he directs and/or choreographs. His greatest screen triumph comes in the form of "The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter" ("Invincible Pole Fighter").
2) A compelling storyline -- Mongols with the help of an insider, ambush the influential Yang Family, defenders of the dynasty. The Mongols must hunt down all Yang survivors so their insidious plot to overthrow the dynasty will not be uncovered.
3) An all-star cast -- Those who watch films of the Shaw Brothers will recognize the familiar faces of the charismatic dynamo Gordon Liu Chia Hui, kung fu babe Kara Hui Ying-Hung, legendary Lily Li, superstar Alexander Fu Sheng in his last screen role, all-time bad guy Johnny Wang Lung Wei, veteran Phillip Ko Fei, talented Hsiao Ho, technical Lau Kar Wing, heroic Wong Yu and Lau Kar Leung himself.
3) Unobtrusive use of "wire-fu" or special effects -- At least there are no quadruple flips and people flipping off swords (i.e. "Swordsman 2").
4) The greatest pole fighting sequence filmed -- Gordon Liu wants revenge. Phillip Ko Fei denies this bloodlust. Watch them engage in a fantastic duel of ethics and poles.
5) The climactic end sequence -- Words cannot describe the mayhem involved. Only the finale of films such as "Drunken Master 2" and "Thundering Mantis" can compare. Must be seen to be believed.
6) No gratuitous humor --While not everyone can have the sense of humor of a Jacky Chan or Sammo Hung, many martial arts films have comical segments/elements that take away from the overall picture.
Take Lau Kar Leung's masterful `Legendary Weapons of Kung-Fu.' The entire Alexander Fu Sheng subplot of the crackpot martial artist could've been done without the cross eyes and silly music.
Chang Cheh's `10 Tiger's of Kwangtung' had many memorable moments but a couple of comedic attempts such as the overly long 'torture training,' and the bystander who lounges about and watches a duel at close range, distracts.
In `8 Diagram Pole Fighter' there is no mixing of genres. What you get is a smash-mouth kung-fu action movie.
7) Themes -- This movie is not just about kung-fu and revenge. It deals with family honor. Loyalty to one's country. Loyalty to a group. Belief in one's self. And ultimately - belonging.
8) Gordon Liu -- As the main star of this movie, Gordon cements his place in kung-fu film history as one of the baddest-asses ever. Here's an elite warrior that goes to Shaolin Temple to IMPROVE his killing skills. In particular his first encounter against a Mongol outpost is the stuff of action film legend.
I feel so strongly about this movie that it not only is my favorite martial arts film, it currently ranks as my favorite movie. It stands above my other favorites (which include: The Godfather, Golgo 13, The Seven Samurai, On the Waterfront, 12 Angry Men, High Noon, Monty Python's Holy Grail), because it stands the test of repeated viewings and never fails to fill me with the full gamut of all emotions, leaving me more passionate about my life, my family and my destiny.
Maybe it's the coffee talking. Maybe I need to get out more. Nevertheless, I offer a toast to all other `8 Diagram Pole Fighter' fans around the world, new and old.
55 of 61 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this