Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) Poster

Flawed, very entertaining solid third sequel an epic conclusion to the original trilogy!
ivo-cobra828 April 2016
Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi (1983) is a third sequel in the original Star Wars trilogy it is flawed, yet very entertaining solid third sequel and an epic conclusion to the original Star Wars trilogy. Honestly in my opinion Return of the Jedi is far way better film than The Force Awakens, that movie was a disaster and it sucked, I rather watch this movie any time. It is not my favorite film in the series and I don't love this movie that much like I love the first two movies, but I like it and it think it is very good at some points. The film has a lot of problems, that hurts the movie. I still have enjoyed this movie and I had a lot of fun. Return of the Jedi (1983) is directed this time from Richard Marquand a different director than it was directed from Irvin Kershner and George Lucas. This movie was released on the same year that I was born in 1983. The film is pretty good on it is own way, but on the other thing it suffers from problems and flaws.

Things I like in this movie: The first hour is set back on planet Tatooine which is a rescue mission which I like, the story is set where the first movie begins and ends here.

Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, Lando Calrissian, Princess Leia Organa, C-3PO, and R2-D2 return to Tatooine to rescue Han Solo (who was encased in carbonite at the end of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back) from the gangster Jabba the Hutt (voice: Larry Ward).

A battle on ship, with Luke steadily taking the fight to Jabba's men. During the battle, Leia strangles Jabba to death with the chain around her neck and with R2-D2's help escapes from her bonds. The heroes destroy the ship, kills the bad guys and save Han solo. I love the explosion, the rescue and than they are all save.

I love that we find out from ghost of Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi (Alec Guinness) that Leia (Carrie Fisher) is the sister of Luke ( Mark Hamill). I love that Luke revels to Leia that she is his sister.

I like the battle on the Endor, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Ewoks are battling Stormtroopers to destroying the shield generator for the second Death Star and they do the destroy it. Lando and his assault team destroys the deaths tar on the end.

Luke face Darth Vader and the evil Emperor and fights both of them, while they where both trying to bring him on a dark side of the force to join them.

I love when Vader toys with the notion of turning Leia to the dark side, Luke gives in to his rage and furiously gains the upper hand in the battle, slicing off Vader's right robotic hand in a rage in one swift cut, and makes his father succumb to defeat at the mercy of his son's blade.

Realizing that Luke cannot be turned, the Emperor uses Force lightning against him to torture and attempt to kill him. Deeply affected by the sight of his son dying before him, Vader repents and turns on the Emperor, throwing him down a reactor shaft to his death.

Luke try's to save Anakin but he dies before he could save him.

I feel that Luke's transition from a teenager to calm and collected warrior of the Force feels very authentic. His conflict between Darth Vader and the Emperor contains some of the best scenes in the entire saga.

Things I don't like: The film has a few problems that are really unnecessary and I really hate it:

This movie's biggest flaw is the pacing, the Ewoks and their role in the film. Star Wars been in a forest, aren't Star Wars suppose to set in the Galaxy and not in the forest? Personally I don't mind the Ewoks, but their introduction causes the movie comes to a screeching halt. Another fault of this movie is its attempts at humor. It feels often unnatural and forced a lot of the time. The Phantom Menace has been notorious for having this problem as well, but they most likely originated here.

Master Yoda dies in this film! Why? Watching Yoda in the prequels I have really enjoyed him much more than I have watching him in the last two movies. Little guy grove up in to my heart. So I disagree about him dying.

I am giving this movie an 8, I watch A New Hope and Retun of the Jedi on TV as a kid I don't remember watching The Empire Strikes Back, but I have saw those tow movies and still I like Return of the Jedi a lot.
78 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Underrated
avenatticlint29 March 2006
I noticed that A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are in the TOP 10, but that this one isn't even in the TOP 100.

This movie has a bad reputation because of Ewoks, but there are so many reasons to love this movie:

-The Rescue of Han Solo from Jabba: This official wraps up the Han Solo in debt sub-plot that was established when we first met the character in A NEW HOPE.

-The Emperor was Finally Revealled: Well alright this might not work as well now that the prequels are out but this was the first time we saw The Emperor as kids.

-The Speeder Bike Chase: Alright, so this was a special effects moment. But it was definitely one of the most memorable and exciting moments in all the films!

-The 3 Part Climax: 1) The Battle of Endor (Led by Han and Leia) 2) Luke Confronts his Father & The Fall of the Emperor 3) The Destruction of the Second Death Star (Lando's Moment)

-The Final Celebration with Our Heroes: Like I said, this movie gets a lot of crap because of the Ewoks but I think it's kind of cool that while the entire galaxy celebrates the FALL OF THE EMPIRE, our heroes are having their own private party in the woods with each other.

All in all this was a great final chapter for our heroes and a fitting end to the STAR WARS story.
193 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Boy Who Loved "Star Wars"
evanston_dad2 December 2005
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....There was a boy who was only two years old when the original "Star Wars" film was released. He doesn't remember first seeing the movie, but he also doesn't remember life before it. He does remember the first "Star Wars" themed gift he got...a shoebox full of action figures from the original set. He was too young to fully appreciate how special that gift would be. But years later, he would get what to this day goes down as one of the best gifts he's ever received: another box full of action figures, ten of the final twelve he needed to complete his collection. It's now legendary in this boy's family how the last action figure he needed, Anakin Skywalker, stopped being produced and carried in stores, and how this boy went for about ten years (until he got into college) trying to track one down and finally bought it from someone on his dorm floor for a bag of beer nuggets (don't ask...it's a Northern Illinois University thing).

I can't review "Star Wars" as a movie. It represents absolutely everything good, fun and magical about my childhood. There's no separating it in my mind from Christmases, birthdays, summers and winters growing up. In the winter, my friends and I would build snow forts and pretend we were on Hoth (I was always Han Solo). My friends' dad built them a kick-ass tree house, and that served as the Ewok village. They also had a huge pine tree whose bottom branches were high enough to create a sort of cave underneath it, and this made a great spot to pretend we were in Yoda's home. I am unabashedly dorky when it comes to "Star Wars" and I think people either just understand that or they don't. I don't get the appeal of "Lord of the Rings" or "Star Trek" but I understand the rabid flocks of fans that follow them because I am a rabid fan of George Lucas's films.

I feel no need to defend my opinion of these movies as some of the greatest of all time. Every time I put them in the DVD player, I feel like I'm eight years old again, when life was simple and the biggest problem I had was figuring out how I was going to track down a figure of Anakin Skywalker.

Grade (for the entire trilogy): A+
151 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A touching end
ladysolo11 May 1999
I'm sick of people whining about Ewoks! True, they're not the best thing that ever happened to Star Wars, but they DID happen, so deal with it! Besides, they ARE cute, and I don't care if they're marketable. Yubb Nubb!

This movie always leaves me in tears. It's perfect. The end could not be better. I'm excited for The Phantom Menace because it will suddenly throw the focus of the whole story from Luke to Anakin. I love how he is revealed at the end - it would be too unresolved any other way. So those of you who are complaining that Vader's helmet was removed, take a moment to think about it. It's very effective. Vader, the man who hid behind a mask for 20 years, is finally revealed as a sick-looking man. He is not entirely machine - he's vulnerable.

I don't know how the casting director happened to pick such good actors in A New Hope. They all do so well. They are believable characters. Hamill does an excellent job with his dramatic character development. Fisher does a fine job being a female role model (I mean, come on! She killed Jabba even when so many others had failed!). Harrison Ford - need I say more?

The music is once again brilliant. It's so very touching and significant when you can pick out character themes at different parts of the movie. The best climax is when Luke shouts "NOOO!" and jumps out to fight his father in the Final Battle. John Williams is nothing short of a genius! What an amazing man!

Already, the movie has so much more meaning for me because of Episode I. I can't wait to finally see it in the theatres (CAN I WAIT???) and then watch the original trilogy yet again.

Bravo!
140 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
...and the trilogy is finished with yet another great film.
Gen S2rt12 January 1999
After "Star Wars: A New Hope" redefined science fiction, and "The Empire Strikes Back" redefined "Star Wars", it's hard to believe that the third and final film of this trilogy can manage to be as good as the other two, but this one really does a nice job. The first part of the film resolves the cliffhanger left by the previous one, with an elaborate escape plan that is in keeping with the incredible suspense and action of the first two films. Then the film moves back to the rebel alliance and what's going on in the war. There is a lot of action in the scenes building up to the rebellion's final confrontation with the Emperor. When the battle begins, the audience is already on the edge of their seats from everything leading up to it, and this final battle is even more intense than those from the other films. This climax is definitely more dense with action than any other part of the trilogy, with the most at stake for the rebellion. This is continually changing between a ground battle between the rebel strike crew on land (including Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Leia), the battle raging on in space (including Lando), and a confrontation between Luke and the Emperor on the new Death Star, which leads up to another duel with Darth Vader. It is really intense since the rebels constantly seem to be losing the battle that will determine the outcome of the war, and there seems to be no escape. Although I think the idea of Ewoks overpowering stormtroopers is a bit far-fetched, it didn't seem very unrealistic since they were more of a distraction that the rebels could use, rather than an actual threat to the stormtroopers, although they did have some luck fighting them. There is also a twist or two at the end that nobody saw coming, which may not be quite as stunning as that of "The Empire Strikes Back", but still complete a very spectacular trilogy very well. With the light tone of "A New Hope" and the more sinnister tone of "The Empire Strikes Back", this film really completes them by combining the two in this grand finale. The Special Edition for "Return of the Jedi" concentrated on what would have been nice to change, since not much of the original really needed it. Fifteen years of technology advancements didn't seem to make up for fifteen years of deterioration as far as the rancor scene is concerned, and there still is the occasional disappearing TIE fighter, but other than that it was good. The gaping non-threatening Sarlaac's mouth was given moving tentacles and a huge fly-trap looking head that emerged, which definitely added to the suspense. Also, the disco was taken out of Jabba's palace, and the lame ending of the original was replaced by a huge victory celebration spanning the entire galaxy, instead of just a small Ewok village, which was the case of the original and that didn't really end a story this big the way it deserved. It's hard to say which of the three films was the best, but since it's all part of the same story, the over-all trilogy is like one big, outstanding film. A THIRD must-see for film fans.
60 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
All things must come to an end... even a classic space saga.
JTurner822 September 2005
This final entry in George Lucas's STAR WARS movies is often regarded as the weakest of the lot. However, this is not to say that it is a totally worthless entry in the series. On the contrary. Sure, it's not as groundbreaking as its predecessors and a bit more slow-going at times, but RETURN OF THE JEDI still offers a lot to warrant the price of admission.

The first third of the movie, where Luke and his friends rescue Han from the palace of Jabba the Hutt, is a classic. Jabba, a truly disgusting blob of bloated flesh who speaks in his own language, not only makes a great villain, but a memorable one, too. It must have been a nightmare to construct this giant puppet, much less give it the spark and life that we see on the finished product. Actually, what also makes this sequence fun is the clever use of puppets for the various members of Jabba's court, including the intimidating, slavering Rancor and scary Sarlaac pit monster. It builds masterfully to its climax and pulls punches all the while.

Things get a little bit slower around the second act, where Luke discovers that he and Leia are related by blood and when we travel to the forest planet of Endor, home of the cuddlesome yet stalwart Ewoks. Most of the complaints about RETURN OF THE JEDI that I've read seem to be centered on these furry creatures, in that they somehow disrupt the tone of the saga. I don't totally agree with that, although this moment is probably played out a bit longer than it should. However, their leader, Wicket (played by Warrick Davis) is a delightfully memorable creation, and watching how they handle the Imperial Troops' technology with their simple, natural weapons provides a nice contrast.

By the time we get to the third act, though, the pace picks up again, as we intercut between the Ewoks battle against the troops, Lando and the Rebel Forces launching an attack against the Empire's all-new half-completed Death Star, and Luke's final showdown with Darth Vader and the Emperor. The latter ties with the Jabba Palace sequence as the highlight of the movie. Mark Hamill flexes his acting chops once again as Luke Skywalker in these scenes, and watching him as a fully matured Jedi Knight makes for an unforgettable performance. Also, as iconic as James Earl Jones' voice as Darth Vader is, he is rivaled only by the shriveled, crone-like Emperor, played with deliciously raspy, frightening evil by Ian McDiarmid. The tension between this trio heightens the excitement of this climactic moment, which is appropriately darkly lit and menacingly underscored.

The STAR WARS movies have always set standards for special effects, and the technical work in RETURN OF THE JEDI can easily hold a candle to its predecessors. The space battle fights are as exhilarating as always, and the speeder bike chase through the forest is a knockout. Of course, given that this movie was made after A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, it probably shouldn't be so surprising that the special effects have reached an even greater level of excellence. The acting is classic STAR WARS fare; Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher all mature and deepen into their roles, and Anthony Daniels provides more hilarious moments as C-3PO. Frank Oz's Yoda only appears in two scenes, but he makes the most of it. And yes, there's also John Williams' music.

All told, while RETURN OF THE JEDI falters a little bit in the middle, the first and third acts deliver in style, making this a rather satisfactory finale to one of the greatest sagas ever.

In 1997, George Lucas re-released the classic STAR WARS in digitally restored (and revamped) "Special Editions", which featured added-in effects and/or shots as well as some enhancements. Of the three, RETURN OF THE JEDI appears to have caused the most commotion with STAR WARS fans. Perhaps it can be due to the jarringly out-of-place (albeit funny if you're not so easily offended) "Jedi Rocks" musical number in Jabba's Palace, which, although technically amazing, does disrupt the flow of the film. However, I DID like the ending montage scenes where we see victory celebrations occurring on the various planets of the galaxy. This DVD version features yet more tweaking--we get to see more montage finale scenes (notably on Naboo, where we hear what sounds like Jar Jar Binks screaming, "Wesa free!"), and, in what is probably the most controversial change, Hayden Christensen as the specter of Anakin Skywalker in the closing scenes. Probably due to the intense (and unfair) disdain fans have for his somewhat shaky work in EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES it seems inevitable that fans would put this edition down for that alone. However, if you're watching the STAR WARS saga chronologically (and contemplating about it), chances are you may react a little differently. Nonetheless, it is an issue that fans have raised, so it's probably best to be warned beforehand.

As nice as it would be to have Lucas release the original versions of these three classic films, he nonetheless stands by what he said about these revamps being the "definitive" editions of his classic trilogy, and, when viewing the STAR WARS movies altogether as one complete saga (as Lucas intended), it actually makes sense to keep them technically and aurally consistent. The original films will always be engraved in our memories, but these new incarnations are just as much fun, if one can give them a chance.
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Age helps final episode of sci-fi saga
Duncan Gowers14 November 2001
Perspective is a good thing. Since the release of "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace", claims and counter-claims of just how Episode's II and III will eventuate has taken the spotlight off the 'original' Star Wars films, making them part of a cohesive whole, rather than segregating the older and new films into separate trilogies. What the new films have done is allow fresh perspectives to be placed on the older films. This new outlook allows us to greater appreciate what has often been viewed as the weakest of the original trilogy: "Return of the Jedi". Often derided for its overly 'cute' factor, ROTJ is in a sense as strong as the original and only slightly less impressive than the nearly perfect "The Empire Strikes Back". Indeed the 'cute' element of ROTJ, namely the Ewoks, remains a weak link in the entire series. Did George Lucas place the furry midgets in the film purely for the merchandising possibilities? Only he can answer that question.

This cute factor aside, the film is a brilliant full circle AND evolution of the saga. Following on from the conclusion of "The Empire Strikes Back", Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) follows his Rebel Alliance friends to Tatooine, his home planet, to rescue Han Solo (Harrison Ford), the space pirate turned Rebel hero who was captured by Jabba the Hutt for overdue debts.

Skywalker is a changed man since leaving Tatooine with Ben 'Obi Wan' Kenobi (Alec Guiness) to fight the evil Empire. Now swathed all in black, Luke's discovery of his origins have left him confused and torn. His psychological make up is not as strong as his outward appearance would suggest. While he might aim to always assist his Rebel friends, he yearns for another chance to confront the evil Darth Vader again, despite his unassuredness as to whether he will destroy him or eventually turn to the Dark Side and join Vader at the Emperor's side.

Early scenes in Tatooine are impressive, from Jabba's lair, to his floating palace and the 'almighty Sarlac' - an intenstine that lives in the sand. Lucas' CGI enhancements to the film in 1997 actually worsened the overall effect of the Sarlac, making it look fake and overdone.

The battle scene on Tatooine is outstanding, and is one of the more memorable of the saga. Luke almost singlehandedly anihiliates Jabba and his cronies, proving his prowess as a Jedi is now almost complete.

When Luke returns to the Degobah system to visit the ailing Yoda one more time, the viewer is let down by Yoda's distinct lack of screentime. Undoubtably the star of "The Empire Strikes Back", Yoda is all but erased from the story as the progression of Luke's destiny is played out on screen.

ROTJ really is Luke's film, perhaps even more so than the original. His journey carries the movie as he moves closer to his confrontation with Darth Vader and his fate. The other Rebel characters certainly work in his shadow. The romance between Leia (Carrie Fisher) and Solo is all but non-existant, unlike in "Empire". In fact only Leia's character is developed in ROTJ, Solo's character seems to fade as the facets of his personality have become too familiar in the first two films.

Their roles are consigned to working alongside the Rebels to destroy an all new Death Star that nears completion. This time the Emperor himself is overseeing the final stages of construction. The Empire intends to crush the Rebellion once and for all, while the Emperor himself schemes to bring the now powerful Skywalker to his side to work alongside (or is that replace?) Darth Vader. The Emperor is a different kind of evil for this film, less cunning than Governor Tarkin (Peter Cushing) from "Star Wars", more deeply psychologically dark than anything else. Played brilliantly by Ian McDiarmid, the Emperor is just one of those characters you love to hate.

All the other actors are well entrenched in their roles. Hamill surprises as the more wisened Luke, making his character's progression from whiny teenager, impatient student to enlightened warrior one of the few real character developments of the series. Ford's role is waring thin, as all his charm and charisma was spent in the first two films -- he was the REAL star of the first film after all. Fisher's Leia is more of a prop, at least unti the end of the film where she learns things about herself that she was never sure about... Add in favourites like Alec Guiness as Kenobi, Yoda and the loveable Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2D2 and the series resembles a family more than a cast.

Despite the film's corny forest battle involving the Ewoks and the Empire, it ends well and includes a three way battle sequence: on Endor, in space and on the Death Star, each with very impressive special effects. The music, as always, is brilliant and captures the mood perfectly in every instance. Just as the 'Blue Danube' worked perfectly for "2001: A Space Odyssey", John Williams' score is as much a part of "Star Wars" folklore as light sabers and the Force.

Lucas left the ending open to interpretation, meaning there could have been more episodes made. Indeed sci-fi fans have created their own versions of Episodes VII, VIII and IX in their heads over and over again. ROTJ works when given a chance, and furry cute animals aside is a good finish to the series.

When all six episodes get to be viewed together, this saga could well be the best ever made. Is it already? The addition of Episode I changed the landscape of the series. This is why "Return of the Jedi" can now be viewed in a different light and be given a whole new appreciation nearly 20 years after its release.
156 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fitting closure to the 'Star Wars' series, now out on DVD.
TxMike7 October 2004
My five children were growing up but all still at home when 'Return of the Jedi' came to the theater. While there had been other Sci-Fi movies with a theme of conflict in outer space, the 'Star Wars' trilogy filled our imaginations like no other movies before them. The fantastic, strange worlds were presented almost like we were there too. Aliens sitting around a tavern, enjoying drinks and speaking in all sorts of languages. Nothing before had approached the sheer size of the space ships depicted here, huge cities traveling all over the galaxy. And how about the jump to hyper speed, then disappearing from the screen as the speed exceeds light speed! And the light sabres of the Jedi Knights. The Jedi Knights, a striking parallel to the Japanese Samurai.

After the fantastic 'Star Wars' and 'Empire Strikes Back' (now called parts IV and V on DVD), the last episode 'Return of the Jedi' was bound to be somewhat of a let down, but not much of one. It was made to achieve resolution. Of the rebels' battle with the evil Empire. The relationship between Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, and the Princess, and her relationship with Han Solo. We witness Luke's Jedi training at the hands of Yoda, as Luke becomes the Last Samurai, I mean Jedi. The DVDs finally came out last month, and they are near perfect, as we should expect from Lucas Films and THX. The bit rate is high, and the picture is nothing short of superb. As is the Dolby EX surround track.

My wife and I watched all three of the movies on DVD this week -- Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi (now on DVD called parts IV, V, and VI) -- compliments of our local public library. It was an appropriate reminder how good these movies are, and still ahead of their time. Nothing else has been made to compare to them.
86 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Spectacular finish to the Star Wars saga.
deepthinker56610 June 2010
After watching A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, it's time to watch the final chapter of the Star Wars film franchise, The Return of the Jedi.

It stars Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, David Prowse, Frank Oz, Anthony Daniels, etc.

The Empire is more than halfway through construction of a new Death Star - almost twice as big, but more than twice as powerful. When completed, it will spell certain doom for Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and the Rebels. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) is a prisoner of crime lord Jabba the Hutt, and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) soon finds herself in the gangster's hands. Luke Skywalker, aided by C-3PO and R2-D2, makes his way into Jabba's palace, hoping to secure his friends' freedom. But the Hutt has no intention of doing so and tries to kill them all. After escaping from Jabba and the sands of Tatooine, they regroup with the Rebel fleet, which is massing for an attack against the new satellite battle station at Endor. Lando Calrissian (Billy Dee Williams) is pressed into action to lead the Rebel fighter attack, while Han is put in charge of a group of soldiers to take out the shield generator protecting the Death Star. Luke, however, surrenders to Vader's soldiers on Endor, and is taken in front of Vader's boss - the Galactic Emperor - on the Death Star for final corruption to the Dark Side of the Force. The fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers ambushes the Rebels, cutting them off. Worse, the new Death Star begins turning its giant laser on the Rebel carriers. It appears that nothing will stop the Empire's triumph - unless things start to change quickly.

I thought it was a great end to the Star Wars series.

But in 1999, the story took itself back into the beginning with Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace and ended with Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

So far, I'm finished with the Star Wars original trilogies, and there will be more reviews in the summer.

Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi gets 10 stars.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
One Of The Best In The Series
ccthemovieman-112 February 2006
Up until the sixth and last episode of the Star Wars saga, which finally ended in 2005, I had always looked at this 1983 entry as my favorite film of the long-running series. The varied action scenes and really different characters (Jabba The Hut, furry woodland creatures, etc.) made this a particularly appealing movie.

None of the action ever focused too long in one spot, either. The last half hour exemplifies this the most as the scene switches every few minutes from the woods to the battle among space ships to the individual laser-duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Another nice characteristic this film had that the two previous did not was the absence of in-fighting between two of the stars. Gone was the incessant bickering between Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. Finally, everyone was on the same page! It was nice to see.

In the end, this was simply a wonderful adventure tale, more than anything else.
84 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The end of the Star Wars Saga
mjw23053 February 2005
Return of the Jedi is certainly the most action packed of the series, and is a fine conclusion to the Star Wars Saga. With Han Solo imprisoned by Jabba the Hut and the Empire building a new Death Star, the rebel alliance is facing an uphill struggle against the dark side, and only our favourite heroes can pull it off.

The Opening sequence, set on Tatooine, we see Jabba's palace, a pit of slavery and scum, and new home to Han Solo, as Luke and the gang prepare for his rescue, and with Luke's Jedi powers, they have the edge.

We also witness a tremendous triple battle at the end. Han, Leia and Chewy battle it out on Endor, desperate to deactivate the shields protecting the Death Star. The Rebel Fleet led by Lando, battle with the Imperial Fleet while they wait for the shields to go down, and Luke has a final showdown with Darth Vader. An Epic end to a Classic Saga, and it's only just of the pace of the first two.

14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Strongest of the Series Besides Episode 4
DKosty12323 February 2007
Long ago, in a Galaxy far away came a film which saved FOX studios from bankruptcy. It was conceived by a 16 year old George Lucas after he saw the 1959 film Ben Hur. This gave him the ideas which are now lynch pins of the entire series - an all powerful force, an evil empire, emperor, a purpose for our universe.

This is the best of the series & not just because of the victory over the Empire. It springs a surprise in Luke having a sister, & completes Luke confronting what is left of his father. It destroys an empire & an emperor. It introduces Ewoks & then has them join in an alliance to create the victory. It even makes C3PO a God, & you can't top that.

While it does not have a miracle create the complete victory, like Ben Hur does with Christs Crucifixation & events erasing Ben Hur's mother & sisters Leprocey, it does create a man made miracle alliance which ultimately destroys the evil Empire. This really counts big in the scheme of things.

There is an ultimate satisfaction in the victory, especially when everyone including Ben, & Darth seem to be a part of it. That is what makes this the ultimate celebration.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Greatest and Most Undervalued Star Wars Film
Inception Report16 December 2016
Despite the original Star Wars trilogy being considered one of the greatest trilogies of all time it's final instalment Return of The Jedi is only considered to be good and I have to say that not only do I think this movie is on par with the past two entries, I actually think this is better than them. A large part of why I love this movie so much is how satisfying it is, the entire trilogy has built up to the events in this film, so we're completely invested in the characters and situation, it all came together perfectly. All the characters in this film are different than they were in the last two films and if adds to there characters to see that there are still consequences to every action they take. I thought that The Emperor was a fantastic villain for this film as we truly realise just how powerful he is and it was interesting to see how he controlled Vader. The physiological and physical war that goes on between Luke and Darth Vader is done perfectly, now only is is incredibly intense but it's also very Eye opening to see a more personal fight for Vader and we understand just how much the emperor has taken from him. The final three way battle against the empire and the Death Star is done just right because we understand just how much the characters need to rely on each other to succeed, all the arcs feed into each other and I found it to be extremely well done. Now I wanted to address in this review some of the most common complaints with this film and why I disagree with them, for one I thought it was an interesting idea to bring in a second Death Star because it created a new sense of urgency as we know from the get go in this film, the power that it possesses and I thought the way they destroy it in this film was better executed than in the original. While most people were willing to understand that complaint, the Ewoks are extremely hated upon when talking about this film but I really liked the idea of them and found it somewhat inspiring that they went up against the empire. The most powerful scene in this film is that of Vader funeral it was an extremely personal scene and thought that ten silence of Luke staring at his fathers bodies was extremely heartfelt and was a satisfying conclusion to the arc they have built across the series.

I really do think that this film was the best Star Wars films, it's got all the characters back in satisfying and well done ways, all the character arcs all come to a close nicely and the final scene of this film was just a perfect way to wrap up the trilogy and will always make this one of my favourite movies of all time and one of my favourite sequels of all time.

100%/A+
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Greatest Cinematic Film Of All Time
hothfreeze19 August 2005
Despite the feelings of most "Star Wars" fans, in my opinion "Return Of The Jedi" is the greatest cinematic film ever created. Ever since the first time I saw it, it's depth, intensity, special effects, and moving story have overwhelmed me. The film was so well put together that it has been able to stand the test of time over the last 20 years. Filled with powerful action, as the climax of the original trilogy, George Lucas gives us a rousing finish of the "Star Wars" saga in "Jedi".

Film Summary (Contains Spoilers For Those Who Have Not Seen It)

After "The Empire Strikes Back" left us hanging for 3 long years we finally find the end of the story in "Return Of The Jedi". Darth Vader, in emotional turmoil makes a surprise visit to a new uncompleted Death Star to oversee it's construction. The Emperor is first seen in this film as he has the ultimate plan to destroy the Rebel Alliance and bring young Luke Skywalker to the Dark Side. Luke, Lando, Leia, Chewie, and the droids all travel to Tatooine to rescue the frozen Han Solo from the crime Lord; Jabba The Hutt. After Han has been rescued, and Jabba defeated, Luke returns to Dagobah to find a dying Yoda where he learns the awful truth; Darth Vader is in fact his father. The rebel heroes regroup with the Rebel Fleet. Now joined by other species and races including the Mon Calamari the Rebels must make a all-or-nothing plan of attack to destroy the Death Star before it is completed. While Lando heads the space attack in the Millennium Falcon, the Rebel heroes must disable the Death Star's shield generator on the Forest Moon Of Endor. It is here that the Rebels happen upon the furry, but mighty Ewoks. During the the two part intense battle, a third battle must take place as Luke willingly delivers himself to Vader in an attempt to convince him to leave the Dark Side. In emotionally charged sequences Luke must face his father as the Emperor lures out his dark emotions. As young Skywalker is about to face his death at the hands of Palpatine, Vader turns on his wicked master to save his son's life.

Filled with a deep timeless story of good vs. evil, "Return Of The Jedi" is a spectacular, emotionally charged film that redeems the good in all of us.
26 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Empire finally Falls....
Jessica Carvalho3 February 2006
After ''Empire strikes back'' ''Return of the Jedi'' is my second favorite movie from the Star Wars series.

Luke went to Tattoine to save Han Solo from Jabba. At the same time, the Galactic Empire is doing in secret, the construction of a new space station like the previous Death Star. If this station stays totally constructed, it will be the end of the Rebel Alliance. Both Vader and the Emperor are impatient because of the delay of the new Death Star,and they need to kill many of their commanders to have the project made in schedule.

R2 and C3po are inside Jabba's palace to send a message from Luke to Jabba,where Lukes pretends to negotiate Han's life. He gives R2 and C3po as a gift to Jabba as part of his plan. Jabba does not accept the negotiation,since he is using Han Solo as a piece of his palace's decoration.(Han still is frozen in carbonite) Lando is hidden as Jabba's guard and Chewbacca is also gave to Jabba by a reward hunter. When the same Hunter tries to save Han solo and makes him stay in human form again, we see that is actually princess Leia in a disguise. The problem is that Jabba discovers Leia's plan and takes her as his slave,while Han is thrown away in Chewbacca's cell.

Luke comes as a Jedi knight to rescue his friends. At his first try to kill Jabba,he falls into Jabba's monster cell (Bantha),but easily kills it. Jabba stays angry and decides to thrown Han,Chewbacca and Luke to Sarlacc, a big creature from the desert who stays 1.000 years digesting it's 'food'. Luke,Han and Chewie has success in scape again, and even Boba Fett dies when Han accidentally throws him in to Sarlacc's mouth. Leia kills Jabba and goes after Han,Luke and Chewie as well c3po and R2.

Everybody's safe again,Luke decides to go to Dagoba to complete his training as a Jedi,as well his promise to Yoda. The problem is that Yoda is too old and sick, since he already has 900 years old, and before he dies, Yoda says to Luke that he does not need more training,but to really be a Jedi, he must fight with Vader again. He confirms to Luke that Vader is Luke's dad, and that there is another Skywalker besides Luke. In his last moments, Yoda asks to Luke to remember his advices about the temptation of the dark side, and to Luke transmit his Jedi knowledge to other people. When Yoda dies,Obi wan's spirit shows up to Luke and tells him that Luke's father killed his good side Anakin to become Darth Vader, and also that he is more machine than a man since he became a sith. Luke stays worried about killing his own dad, and says that he feels that his father still has kindness. Obi Wan tells Luke that his twin sister is Leia, and says the reasons why Luke and Leia were separated since babies. He gives his last advice to Luke saying that if he refuses to kill Vader, the emperor will win the war.

At the same time, the Emperor says to Vader that he must give Luke to him when he shows up, since Luke is stronger than before, and they both needs to combine their efforts to bring Luke to the dark side.

Now we are going to have one of the best battles from the star war series,when the Rebel Alliance plans to attack the new space station, the '' Death Star 2'', Luke will confront Vader and the Emperor, and Leia, Han and chewie needs to turn off the 'Death star 2' power field, with the help of the EWOKS. (little creatures who looks little bears)

This is for sure one of the most exciting star wars of all!
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
It All Comes Together
Brian Washington16 November 2003
This is the film that pretty much answers all the questions. One thing that I did notice is that it dealt with the theme of redemption. Luke pretty much wanted to redeem his father's good name and at the end Vader regains his humanity just in time not only to save his son Luke, but to destroy the Emperor, the man who cost Vader his soul. I also liked the scene in the film where 3PO summarizes the events of the previous chapters for the Ewoks. This also helps to tie everything together as far as the saga is concerned. Also, even though many have called this the weakest film in the trilogy, it still has enough of a story and great special effects to put it on a par with the previous films.
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Underrated, and completely satisfying
kyle-cruse13 September 2008
Some people have disliked this film, and I truly don't see why. "Return of the Jedi," does not, contrary to popular opinion, ruin the original "Star Wars" trilogy but rather ties it up in a perfectly satisfying way. The opening scenes at Jabba the Hutt's palace are well done. Jabba is a much meaner and scarier villain here than the short clip in the 1997 re-release of "A New Hope" showed him to be. Luke Skywalker is forced to make his most difficult choices in this film, and the intensity of the film's last half-hour is some of the most compelling film-making I've ever seen. The themes and messages of redemption and good vs. evil are superbly done here. "Return of the Jedi" is a very exciting and engaging film, memorable and worth watching many times, especially now that Episode III has been made. It's not as perfect as the previous two Star Wars films were, but it is a very pleasing and happy conclusion to an amazing story. The fourth best in the saga, behind the two originals and Episode III. Nearly perfect.

***1/2 out of ****
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Incredible movies!!! Incredible characters!!!
CyberMonkey24 April 2002
Even though I have seen all of the movies from the original trilogy about a million and one times... this is the first I have ever commented on them... I wasn't quite sure as to which movie I should provide the critique for (I didn't feel like practically repeating my criticism on all three movies), but seeing as how ROTJ is the concluding film (and possibly my favorite... I am sort of torn between it and Empire...) I figured this is where to start... I'll try not to give any *spoilers* away but be FOREWARNED just incase... so here it goes...

Now grant you, TESB does provide a more solid performance as far as conflict and general plot development; however, I believe I am so attracted to ROTJ due to the stunning character developments.

Solo (Ford) becomes a much more "sensitive" character as a result of his budding relationship with Leia (of course I am saying this through a woman's eyes so I am sure that a lot of guys would disagree with me). But, his change is reasonable, as he begins to realize that his "gruff" and "selfish" ways need to be dulled down if he is to win the heart of the woman he loves. My only gripe with the character of Solo in the third installment is that his screen time is almost chopped in half in comparison to the first two. But, once again, this can be understood since the focus on ROTJ must be placed almost completely on Luke and his development as the new order of Jedi.

Most of all I am impressed with the character development of Luke (Hamill). His growth from irritating farm boy to a powerful and calm, young man fits in well with Lucas' characteristics of "the Force." To be able to master such intense composure in such a short time and through heavy hardships truly means you have the qualities of a Jedi. And even though some may paint Hamill's performance of Luke as rather sterile, I do not. I find it to be almost inspiring to see such a positive change in times of adversity.

Leia (Fischer) also pulls of an incredible change in character over the course of the three movies which resembles traits to that of Luke... she becomes matured, and as a result of this maturity, becomes a more powerful presence. Perhaps it is a genetic twin thing? Or perhaps it is caused by Luke and Leia's mutual ties to "the Force?"

But in any case, I adore the movies and they will remain at the top of my list with the exception of the most recent Star Wars attempt, "The Phantom Menace." To me, that movie just seemed nothing more than flashy visual and audio FX. It lacked the unique plot and character design that the original trilogy mastered. But, that's a whole 'nother story... literally.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Its fun, but full of holes and inconsistencies
luke-a-mcgowan5 October 2015
In many ways, Return of the Jedi cut firmly against the brilliant grain set by Empire Strikes Back. The reason Empire was so effective was that it showed us the rebels were still losing, you can't just destroy the Death Star and have everything go away. But here, Lucas rounds out the trilogy with another climactic space battle and everything wraps up really nicely with no questions ask. Return of the Jedi is clearly the least impressive of the original trilogy. It is full of holes, tonal inconsistencies and plot implausibilities. I'd chalk this up to Richard Marquand not being half as competent as Irvin Kershner, and the departure of Gary Kurtz from the project. Kurtz reportedly left because he and Lucas couldn't agree on whether story or spectacle should take priority (Lucas was obviously in favour of spectacle), and you can tell because Return of the Jedi's story makes absolutely no sense in places.

The opening sequences in Jabba's palace entertained me to no end as a child, but now it just confuses me. How long has it been since Empire Strikes Back? Didn't Lando and Chewie go in to try and rescue Han? Chewie and the droids are turned over to Jabba, but Leia seems ready to get Han out of there and leave them behind. Was it the plan to get captured? Was Luke's plan to get captured? Since when can Luke do Jedi mind tricks? Did Luke go back and train with Yoda for a year, and if so, why wasn't "is Vader really my father" not asked then? The film's screenplay is quite messy and doesn't flow on from the rest of the saga. In one typical scene, Yoda admonishes Luke for rushing off to face Vader without proper training, then says he doesn't need anymore training and only when he confronts Vader will he be a Jedi. Again, maybe some concrete evidence on how long has passed would help. This film is the point where the story meant little to Lucas and the details even less (Solo is promoted from Captain to General where all he did was get frozen in carbonite, and Calrissian walks off the street into the role of General!).

I've always regarded Darth Vader quite lowly on my list of movie villains, and watching Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back I found myself wondering why. I now realise its because Return of the Jedi completely nukes him. The idea of there still being good in Vader comes completely out of nowhere - he tortured his son with the knowledge that his father is the most evil man in the galaxy and then chopped his hand off and let him fall to his likely death. The addition of Emperor Palpatine also relegates Darth Vader to a side character - during the conversations between Luke and the Emperor, Vader sort of stands diffently to the side and chips in with the occasional "yeah. what he said." Palpatine's character development pretty much begins and ends with "evil" - he seems so sure that Luke will join him, yet Luke's battle with the dark side emerges only as a plot point in those scenes. Even if Luke turns to the dark side, what will make him join Palpatine? The expanded universe implies more information about this, but its not very well established here. The execution is pretty inconsistent - Luke goes from being Alec Guinness-style calm to flailing his lightsaber around like he's never held one before. Now that I mention it, Mark Hamill seems to be playing two characters simultaneously.

I've covered what I didn't like, but this is a Star Wars film and there's so much to love. The epic space battle at the second Death Star only reminds me how much I missed it in Empire Strikes Back. Ford is having a lot of fun in this movie, and the rest of the cast delivers pretty solidly as well. The gorgeously shot introduction of Red Guards in stark contrast with the white stormtroopers is a beautiful throwback to Vader's black/white contrast in the original Star Wars, and once again, it tells us the bars have been raised. The sound editing/mixing is always in good form in Star Wars - my favourite scene being a harsh lightsaber ignition sound just as Luke says Vader won't hurt him or turn him over to Palpatine. The Battle of Endor walks a narrow line between cheesy and genuinely exciting, and Marquand keeps the Ewoks just shy of the Gungans.

Return of the Jedi is a really fun movie, but its not a cinematic artwork like its predecessors. I grew up watching this film, but when I read about where the story would have gone were it not for Lucas' toy revenue - the death of Han Solo and a tired Luke walking into the distance like an old Western - I'd be lying if I said the film's sickly sweet dance party ending didn't stick in my craw just a bit.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The best movie of the Star Wars Trilogy.
Lancer-74 April 1999
I thought that ROTJ was clearly the best out of the three Star Wars movies. I find it surprising that ROTJ is considered the weakest installment in the Trilogy by many who have voted. To me it seemed like ROTJ was the best because it had the most profound plot, the most suspense, surprises, most emotional,(especially the ending) and definitely the most episodic movie. I personally like the Empire Strikes Back a lot also but I think it is slightly less good than than ROTJ since it was slower-moving, was not as episodic, and I just did not feel as much suspense or emotion as I did with the third movie.

It also seems like to me that after reading these surprising reviews that the reasons people cited for ROTJ being an inferior film to the other two are just plain ludicrous and are insignificant reasons compared to the sheer excellence of the film as a whole. I have heard many strange reasons such as: a) Because Yoda died b) Because Bobba Fett died c) Because small Ewoks defeated a band of stormtroopers d) Because Darth Vader was revealed

I would like to debunk each of these reasons because I believe that they miss the point completely. First off, WHO CARES if Bobba Fett died??? If George Lucas wanted him to die then he wanted him to die. Don't get me wrong I am fan of Bobba Fett but he made a few cameo appearances and it was not Lucas' intention to make him a central character in the films that Star Wars fans made him out to be. His name was not even mentioned anywhere in the movie... You had to go to the credits to find out Bobba Fett's name!!! Judging ROTJ because a minor character died is a bit much I think... Secondly, many fans did not like Yoda dying. Sure, it was a momentous period in the movie. I was not happy to see him die either but it makes the movie more realistic. All the good guys can't stay alive in a realistic movie, you know. Otherwise if ALL the good guys lived and ALL the bad guys died this movie would have been tantamount to a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon. Another aspect to this point about people not liking Yoda's death.. Well, nobody complained when Darth Vader struck down Obi Wan Kenobi in A New Hope. (Many consider A New Hope to be the best of the Trilogy) Why was Obi Wan's death okay but Yoda's not... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Another reason I just can not believe was even stated was because people found cute Ewoks overpowering stormtroopers to be impossible. That is utterly ridiculous!! I can not believe this one!! First off, the Ewoks are in their native planet Endor so they are cognizant of their home terrain since they live there. If you watch the movie carefully many of the tactics the Ewoks used in defeating the stormtroopers was through excellent use of their home field advantage. (Since you lived in the forest all your life I hope you would have learned to use it to your advantage) They had swinging vines, ropes, logs set up to trip those walkers, and other traps. The stormtroopers were highly disadvantaged because they were outnumbered and not aware of the advantages of the forest. The only thing they had was their blasters. To add, it was not like the Ewoks were battling the stormtroopers themselves, they were heavily assisted by the band of rebels in that conquest. I thought that if the stormtroopers were to have defeated a combination of the Star Wars heros, the band of rebels, as well as the huge clan of Ewoks with great familiarity of their home terrain, that would have been a great upset. Lastly, if this scene was still unbelievable to you.. How about in Empire Strikes Back or in A New Hope where there were SEVERAL scenes of a group consisting of just Han Solo, Chewbacca, and the Princess, being shot at by like ten stormtroopers and all their blasters missed while the heros were in full view!! And not only that, the heroes , of course, always hit the Stormtroopers with their blasters. The troopers must have VERY, VERY bad aim then! At least in Empire Strikes Back, the Battle of Endor was much more believable since you had two armies pitted each other not 3 heroes against a legion of stormtroopers. Don't believe me? Check out the battle at Cloud City when our heroes were escaping Lando's base. Or when our heros were rescuing Princess Leia and being shot at (somehow they missed)as Han Solo and Luke were trying to exit the Death Star.

The last reason that I care to discuss (others are just too plain ridiculous for me to spend my time here.) is that people did not like Darth Vader being revealed! Well, in many ways that was a major part of the plot in the movie. Luke was trying to find whether or not Darth Vader was his father, Annakin Skywalker. It would have been disappointing if the movie had ended without Luke getting to see his father's face because it made it complete. By Annakin's revelation it symbolized the transition Darth Vader underwent from being possessed by the dark side (in his helmet) and to the good person he was Annakin Skywalker (by removing the helmet). The point is that Annakin died converted to the light side again and that is what the meaning of the helmet removal scene was about. In fact, that's is what I would have done in that scene too if I were Luke's father...Isn't that what you would have done if you wanted to see your son with your own eyes before you died and not in a mechanized helmet?

On another note, I think a subconscious or conscious expectation among most people is that the sequel MUST be worse (even if it is better) that preceding movies is another reason that ROTJ does not get as many accolades as it deserves. I never go into a film with that deception in mind, I always try to go into a film with the attitude that "Well, it might be better or worse that the original .. But I can not know for sure.. Let's see." That way I go with an open mind and do not dupe myself into thinking that a clearly superior film is not as good as it really was.

I am not sure who criticizes these movies but, I have asked many college students and adults about which is their favorite Star Wars movie and they all tell me (except for one person that said that A New Hope was their favorite) that it is ROTJ. I believe that the results on these polls are appalling and quite misleading.

Bottom line, the Return of the Jedi was the best of the Trilogy. This movie was the only one of the three that kept me riveted all throughout its 135 minutes. There was not a moment of boredom because each scene was either suspenseful, exciting, surprising, or all of the above. For example, the emotional light saber battle between Luke and his father in ROTJ was better than the one in the Empire Strikes Back any day!!!

Finally, I hope people go see the Phantom Menace with an open mind because if fans start looking for nitpicky, insignificant details (or see it as "just another sequel") to trash the movie such as "This movie stinks because Luke is not in it!" then this meritorious film will become another spectacular movie that will be the subject of derision like ROTJ suffered unfortunately.
41 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A fine ending - especially after having seen Episode III
MinorityReporter9 August 2005
When it comes to creating a universe George Lucas is the undisputed master and his final Star Wars film is very, very good (and more appropriately rated in comparison to the two previous films in the original saga). Having recently seen Revenge of the Sith really puts this movie in perspective. The final battle seems even more climactic knowing what Anakin Skywalker went through at the manipulative hands of the Emperor. It also makes the final battle between Luke and Vader more bitter considering the love he felt for Padmé and the love she felt for her children. Actually while the new films (especially Episode II) are inferior to the original films they are good for one reason only. They make the old films seem even better.

Mark Hamill does an exceptional job in this movie. He really brings the changes Luke has gone through seem real. In all fairness I believe that he should have become a big actor based on these films because he really does a great job. Harrison Ford is still good. However, you can feel that he has done Raiders and Blade Runner in between the two final chapters of Star Wars because he seems to have grown quite a bit. He adds more comedy (obviously inspired from Raiders) to the character which works brilliantly. In short Han Solo is better than ever. Carrie Fisher was never really a good actress but she does a decent job and is certainly passable. Ian McDiarmid appears in this film and having seen Episode III I can safely say that he is one of the most accomplished villains ever. James Earl Jones still provides the voice for Vader and he is still very, very good.

In terms of how the movie looks its pretty safe to say that the Star Wars universe looks better than in either of the previous (two) movies but this was always Lucas' forté so that is really to be expected. The final battle over Endor is very well made both in terms of the general effects and tension wise. It was also a nice touch that Lucas decided to have three battles take place at the same time as it added to the overall tension of the climax.

The only thing I feel is dragging the movie down from an otherwise deserved 9 are the Ewoks. These little creatures are so annoying they almost ruin every scene they are in. Besides I find it to be a little to kiddy when a group of teddy bears with bows and arrows can defeat a squadron of Storm Troopers with laser guns and mighty machinery.

All in all Return of the Jedi is a very good movie but the fact that Richard Marquand is a less accomplished director than Irvin Kershner does that the overall feel of the movie is less than brilliant. Also George Lucas' stupid decision to add the Ewoks to the universe does that the film falls short of brilliance.

59 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Very good, if not perfect 'Jedi'
Michael Pilkington1 April 1999
"Return of the Jedi" is almost on par with the previous "Star Wars" films. There's more special effects (some good, some cheesy) and more new characters and creatures, including the Ewoks. What makes Jedi the least perfect, is that it's very routine -- more of a reworking of "Star Wars." There's more new surprises, though. A victory is celebrated at the end. New scenes are featured in the "special edition." The ending is very satisfying. My evaluation: ***1/2 out of ****.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Revenge of the Teddy Bears
TORSO!17 October 1998
How can any adult who enjoyed "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" possibly find anything entertaining, or even interesting, about this abysmal, unimaginative travesty? A genuinely bad movie, truly awful in every possible way, "Jedi" features a screenplay aimed squarely at four year olds and absolutely terrible acting from an understandably embarrassed cast; in addition, the film offers us the shoddiest array of cheap, plastic-looking space aliens since Irwin Allen's "Lost In Space" tv series. Yes, I realize it is this very cheapness that endears the movie to a legion of kitsch loving fans, but, as a direct follow-up to "Empire," one of the most entertaining and inventive fantasy movies of the last twenty years, "Jedi" comes across as a particularly insulting spit in the face from George Lucas. And those godawful teddy bears! Is there anyone out there (over the age of four, that is) who doesn't cringe in horror at just the mere thought of those monstrously cute creatures?
49 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Hey, still one of the best
mentor3972 July 2002
This one isn't quite as good as Empire, but close. It shows how cruel Jabba really is, shows Leia in a skimpy outfit and shows the climatic space battle at the end of the movie. Sure the Ewoks might be cheesy, but go ahead and watch Phantom Menace and tell me who's less annoying - Jar Jar or the Ewoks.

Ten out of ten. I'd give it like a 9.5, but IMDB doesn't get that accurate.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?