Local Hero (1983) Poster

(1983)

Pure magic...
Maryte8 January 1999
I have no idea what provoked me to see this film in the theatre lo those many years ago, but I am grateful to the serendipity which has brought this piece of magic into my life. I am constantly amazed that a piece of fiction (and not even a written one) could have such an impact on my heart and soul.

From the edgy humor of Happer's encounters with his analyst (I will always consider this to be Mr. Lancaster's most charming performance in a body of excellent work) to the poignant scene in which (an albeit drunken) Mac confesses his coveting Gordon's life, this film draws me in like no other. Whenever I am asked my favorite film, I answer Local Hero without hesitation - there is never a question of its position on my list.

I must confess, I am surprised there are no other reviews of Local Hero by women. I've always found the lyrical nature of the film to have a distinctly female sensibility. But on the other hand, I don't know any other women beyond myself who have seen it (or recall having seen it). The best recommendation I can make for this film is, when I find the world closing in on me, I watch Local Hero. I smile. I laugh. I even cry a bit. But most importantly, I come away knowing that I might someday find that very possible magic in my life.
145 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky brilliance
fdtate26 May 2002
Some may be turned off by the apparent disregard of plot. Amazing characters, scenery and music make this a truly brilliant movie. It's a movie that may not be fully appreciated until you've seen it three or four times. Burt Lancaster steals the show in a small role. Peter Riegert is perfectly cast as a lost American who finds a place where he belongs. The memorable scenes are countless: the aurora borealis show, the eccentric beachcomber who offers to sell for a dollar per grain of sand in his hand, the injured rabbit, Riegert proposes to trade places with Gordon, etc., etc., etc. Mark Knofler's music is worth the price of admission alone. Definitely one of my all-time favorites.
82 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wonderful Wonderful Movie
Paul-15327 January 2002
I really cannot praise Local Hero enough; it is simply one of the best films ever made and certainly, without any shadow of doubt, my number one favourite movie of all time. Fans of Ealing Comedy will relate to this film instantly. The humour is extremely subtle, going for the quirkiness of human behaviour rather than prefabricated belly-laughs. For example, the two farmers arguing which is the better vehicle for transporting winter lambs, Massarati or Rolls Royce. And the African preacher who has to explain that he's "not Scottish either" but still has the surname McPhearson. At first glance, the story of Local Hero is hardly one which would engage fevered interest. A big Texan oil company wants to buy a huge chunk of Scottish coastline and a representative is flown over to close the deal. Chosen because it's thought he is of Scottish origin, McIntyre (Peter Riegert) complains to a colleague that he could do the deal over the wires in an afternoon and that his parents chose the surname when they got off the boat from Hungary because they thought it sounded American. But what grabs the attention and is the fundamental beauty to the film is "Mac's" journey from a materialistic Texan yuppie to one who falls in love with the simple things of life and by the film's end, when Mac returns home, has been changed forever by his trip.

Mac plays his part very well from a character who depends on his expensive suits, his Porsche, quad hi-fi and personal health insurance to one who collects shells on a Scottish beach and drinks 40 year-old malt whisky in the bosom of the small community that he suddenly finds himself a part of. Burt Lancaster plays the wonderfully eccentric oil company CEO who is more concerned with dicovering a comet of his own than making millions of dollars. Then of course there is Denis Lawson as the estate agent / taxi driver / hotelier, Peter Capaldi as the bungling company trainee and Jenny Seagrove who prefers being underwater to life on land, along with all the various yokels and locals that give this film its very unique charm. And the plot twist? A fabulously subtle one-liner that gives the whole thing away. But of course, one cannot talk about this movie without mentioning the soundtrack. Many years ago I felt compelled to watch this movie because (being a big Dire Straits fan at the time) i had the soundtrack and was instantly hooked. Mark Knopfler does sterling work in adding musical flavour to the film. Lazy acoustic guitars match perfectly the breath-taking scenary that the director, Bill Forsyth, has captured of the Scottish Highlands. Overall, I would have no hesitation in recommending this film to people. Every recommendation I've made has been met with the same response: a gem of a movie that simply cannot be ignored. Local Hero will be my own personal number one for ever!

64 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic From (But Not Of) the 80's
DD-93122 December 2002
I consider this one of the 10 best movies I've ever seen (and to paraphrase John Cleese from LIFE OF BRIAN, I've seen a few). It is definitely the funniest movie of the 80's, just ahead of RAISING ARIZONA. And although LOCAL HERO and RAISING ARIZONA are quite dissimilar films, they do share one distinction: they were both made in the 80's, yet they go totally against the grain of movies made during that decade. All the shallow, cheap, go for the simple-minded lowest common denominator audience garbage that was so much a part of the 80's is missing here.

What is most special about LOCAL HERO to me is how it not only respects it's audience, but seems to show an against-all-odds affection for humanity that INCLUDES the audience. Bill Forsyth cares about every character that inhabits his film, and in a very gentle, open-handed way he seems to want to share his characters with the audience so that the audience might see the best of themselves in some aspect of those characters.

I can understand why Forsyth didn't develop into a major moviemaker in Hollywood, in the same way that I can understand why some people find this movie boring. But somehow, to me, keeping this movie alive along with all its' other fans is part of a cockeyed optimism about people that, these days, seems to be very much against-the-grain.
109 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply the best, perfect little film ever made.
finnigan224 April 2001
A real sleeper of a movie. I rented it without knowing anything about this film beforhand and was taken prisoner from start to finish. I honestly didn't want the movie to end. Full of interesting and amusing characters, a terrific musical score, wryly satirical without being demeaning of anyone; it invites you into a totally believable world where you begin to care about the fate of everyone and there are no false notes in the script, direction or performances.

If anyone ever doubted the importance of a screenplay in the success of a movie or thought that a big budget, lots of pyrotechnics and loads of special effects could cover up a movie's shortcomings - see this film. It should be required at all film schools as an example of what can be accomplished on a little budget but with good ideas and lots of talent. A perfect 10 - times 2!
111 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All-time favorite movie
kingbad10 May 1999
Simply my favorite movie ever. Never fails to warm my heart, even after many, many viewings. Beautifully written, filmed, acted- everything works. I loved the whole movie, but especially the last scene. It just sums up the whole movie for me- friendship, not the material, is ultimately all that matters.

Great writing; a dozen well-developed characters. Gentle good humor, without demeaning anyone. A beautiful score, that fit the mood of the movie perfectly. Can't say enough about this movie- see it, see it, see it!
68 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A captivating sleeper.
SquirePM21 July 1999
I first saw this movie 1,000 miles from home. I was on business, staying in an outlying hotel, no car, no evening plans. So I walked 1/2 mile to a local 2-plex (!) theater. The choices were Max Dugan Returns and, starting 15 minutes later, Local Hero. The theater manager said the first one was a real good comedy, and he didn't know what Local Hero was about. I said I'd start with Dugan and switch if I didn't like it, and he said OK.

The Neil Simon, Jason Robards, Marsha Mason movie was ho-hum, totally predictable, formula claptrap, so I ducked into Local Hero.

WHAT A SURPRISE !!!

I was alone in the theater, laughing continuously, thrilled by this wonderful movie. What a joy!

When I left, still smiling, the manager asked me how I liked it. I told him it was a sure Oscar winner (wrong, alas) and the best film I'd seen in years. He was amazed. I hope he sat in on it. I hope you do too.

Here's the key - - EVERY TIME I encounter this movie on TV I stop what I'm doing and watch it. I once arrived at a hotel after midnight, tired and with a meeting at 8:00 am. I flipped on the TV while I unpacked and there it was, just a little past the beginning. I sat on the end of the bed for an hour, then pulled up a chair. I finished unpacking when it was over!

Just whose baby is that, anyway? You'll find out! {:-)
80 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody does it better than the Brits.
negevoli-4420 June 2000
This cinematic piece of enchantment has been aptly praised in the other reviews preceding this one. I really didn't know what to expect when I saw this on cable, but it became an instant favorite. It is so true, so touching, that I felt pangs of sadness when it came to an end. A hopeful end, to be sure. I used to wonder about the casting of Peter Riegert in the lead (I think Dennis Leary would have been perfect in this role). But after several viewings, I have grown to like and appreciate Riegert's performance very much. (I'm one of those superficial twits who perfer good-looking leading men like Sam Neill and Brad Pitt.) And Riegert's non-Scottish appearance is taken care of in the script. Any movie that can raise the consciousness of its audience without preaching is a rarity, and this beautiful film manages to do just that. Certainly one of the best films ever made.
52 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Technophile goes to remote village and finds the real world.
alphatwin200220 March 2004
What a lovely, quiet film this is. Mac personifies modern man--out of touch with nature,out of touch with his own soul, who needs "electricity" to function. He is all technology of that period. Although he is a "telex man" (this was before the computer-cellphone era), he reluctantly goes in person to buy a village in a remote area of Scotland for the glory of oil production. The place he finds is paradise. No urban sprawl. No locked doors. Gradually, Mac is seduced by nature, which culminates in the death of his electronic watch--it drowns in a tidal basin after he removes it in order to collect sea shells. By degrees, he sheds his identity, represented by his business suit and fashionable shoes, and becomes a beachcomber. He is amazed when he sees the Northern Lights for the first time, a celestial phenomenon the locals take for granted. Mr. Happer the president of Knox Oil and Gas, is Mac's opposite--Happer inherited the family oil business and has done well, but his eyes are on the stars, the things of nature. He allows others to run the company while he watches the sky in search of comets. What makes a film memorable are great moments, and this film is a series of great moments that stay with you long after the film is over. I will offer no plot summary. You must see this magical film for yourself. But be forewarned: if you are in love with all that modern technology can offer, you will not like this film. You may find it too slow; too outdated; too sentimental. But, if (like me)you yearn to be away from the horror that modern technology has created in us and around us, you will love and dream of your own remote village by the sea. And it is very funny, too. Wonderful characters.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simply beautiful movie
Dave-7913 October 1998
I first saw this film in 1985 only because I had heard that Mark Knopfler did the soundtrack. After watching Local Hero, however, I was ready to pack my bags and move to a picturesque seaside village on the coast of Scottland. I fell in love with this movie. There is subtle humor, gorgeous scenery, a great story, and memorable characters. When the TV show Northern Exposure came out, I was amazed at the similarities between the show and Local Hero. An American professional accustomed to fast paced city living finds himself in a quirky town in the middle of nowhere. Even the resemblance of Peter Riegert playing Mac and Rob Morrow as Fleishman is striking. But when the episode of Northern Exposure aired where the famous Russian comes to town and performs in the local bar while the female store owner swoons, I nearly laughed myself off the couch. There was an identical scene in Local Hero. Local Hero captured a certain magic and mystery; haunting and poetic while remaining lighthearted and warming. One could not blame the creators of Northern Exposure for wanting to capture that same magic, but they could have been just a little more original. I love Bill Forsythe's movies. He is truly a master of the simple movie that tells a terrific story. Less is more. Also, Mark Knopfler delivers some of his finest music ever.
50 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An inspired little film
gulino20 May 2003
A refreshing change of pace; a whimsical, off-beat comedy with just enough plot to keep it going, just enough surprises in it to keep it interesting, and lots of great characters played by actors who really deliver.

The music by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits adds richness to the experience, and the cinematography vividly contrasts tangled, sterile, modern-day Houston with the cool, gorgeous, emerald green Scottish landscape and the peaceful, pristine coastal village of Furness.

Well worth the trip.
48 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nothing else like it
poldy11235811 September 2004
There's the great movies with a capital "M" (Casablanca, Strangelove, Kane) and then there's the great movies which feel like they've been made for the deepest, quietest, quirkiest parts of you and you alone - the small gems. And this one, in my view, is the sparkliest of these gems - a little masterpiece of a rumination on just how beautiful things can be when disparate paths in life intercept each other just the tiniest bit out of phase, never perfectly according to plan, and on how the deepest transformations seem to proceed from the smallest disjoints of orientation and expectation. It is a beautiful dollhouse of a film, whose success lies in its excruciating attention to and understatement of detail. Beautiful Mark Knopler strains suffuse the film's quieter moments, while subtle performances and simply lovely dialogue provide the backbone.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wonderful
loydmooney14 December 2004
Oddly enough, from the comments thus far about the film, nobody, as in not a single viewer, has commented on the absolutely stunning performance by Peter Riegert. It is the best of right on low key performances of all time: if somebody told him that leprosy had just overtaken the island he might have batted one eyelash. Yet no matter how low the key it is never off key. And yes, yes, it has a lot of other things going for it, but nothing like his performance. Somehow the director got the right guy for the job, so much so, that it is impossible to conjure anybody in all Hollywood that could have done so well. Moreover, the movie moves about him so tightly, and he takes the load so effortlessly, it is almost not surprising that nobody has noticed just how good he is here. In fact were there even a smidgen of fireworks from him, this would just be another movie. Time is gonna treat this film very well, when ninety percent of most films are forgotten, this will continue to rise in the ranks of the remembered.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Number One Favorite Film
nathomsen18 June 2000
I first saw this film in 1983 when I was living in Chicago. At every line of dialog, I expect the trite or cliché and, in every instance, I am subtly drawn into the filmmaker's viewpoint and away from my own cynical, sarcastic, pessimistic viewpoint. I laugh at myself and my expectations and I am charmed into experiencing the many dimensions of human character that I find in this film.

I am thrilled to find so many others who appreciate this film. It is one of the few videos that I own. I watch it every year and I have never been dissatisfied with it. And, for the record, I am female.

When I toured England, Wales and Scotland, I was completely unprepared for the beauty and magic of Scotland. This film has become more dear to me since then, because it reminds me of Scotland. The scenery is beautiful, but always secondary to the human landscape.

The underlying strength of the film is that all the human beings, in their unexpectedness and diversity, are equal players in the tapestry of the whole. Many of the value systems of humanity today are portrayed in one village. But the happiest person is the one who works for his living by harvesting the gifts washed up by the sea. (And, in his shadow persona, pockets all the fresh baked goods at the ceilidh :-) )

Now I live in Kansas City and view life from the heartland. I come away from Local Hero wanting to view humanity from the heart, not from the trite or the cliché or my prejudices. This is quite an accomplishment for a film.

Added in 2013: After 30 years, I still love this film. I finally know what the final scene means to me - but I will let you figure that out for yourself. I finally appreciate, consciously, the soundtrack - which was just part of the whole for the first 20 viewings of the film. I am still charmed by this beautiful, magical subtle work of art. I hope you like it too!
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
crimp116 December 2007
I've done three things today. I ordered a DVD of "Local Hero" (which led me to this site), I read most of the comments about the film and I watched a telly programme about a mobile phone salesman from Wales (Paul Potts), who went on a TV talent show and is now topping album charts across the planet. While millions of people absolutely love his rendition of, "Nessun dorma", certain opera critics are putting the whole business down, because these fans don't "know" anything about opera.

I don't "know" anything about films - and for that reason, I'm not qualified to comment on the direction, script or characterisations of "Local Hero". But then, unlike some of those who have criticised it, I don't feel any burning desire to take the film apart and put the bits under the microscope. All I know is that it makes me feel great, like a walk in the countryside on a bright spring morning. It makes me feel happy, positive, warm and hopeful. It makes me love the world even more than before - I want to rush out into the street and invite passers-by in for a cup of tea. It hits the soul-button that, as an atheist, I shouldn't have. So who cares about the plot or the pace or "where it's going"? It touches me ... in the same way that it's obviously affected a great many other people.

Yup, I reckon it'll be my favourite film of all time.

Mind you, I did think the casting was perhaps a bit....
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beguiling, smart & totally compelling clash of hopes & dreams.
jlwilke30 April 2003
Forsyth has written & directed a beguiling film with smartly written characters facing a splendid array of dilemmas that are both soulful and funny. The actors (some familiar faces and some not to an American audience) are all terrific -- seeming to relish the problems that the plot puts in their characters' path and thoroughly enjoying the riches of a script with sharp dialogue, a moral center, and a sense of humor that doesn't belittle anyone. This is a story that tackles the fragility -- the seeming impossibility -- of any of us ever having our most cherished dreams come true. The final scene could break your heart a little. Don't miss it.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Possibly the most delightful "grown-up" film ever made.
Brian14Leonard20 November 1998
Local Hero is one of my ten favorite films, and an absolute delight from the beginning to the arguably ambiguous ending. It's quirky, offbeat, and absolutely human. All of Bill Forsyth's films are worthwhile (even the not-up-to-par Being Human), and this film, along with Gregory's Girl and Housekeeping, tops the list. Warning: you may fall in love with Scotland (a Scotland that may exist only in Forsyth's imagination) upon seeing this. Do it anyway!
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of my all time favorite movies
lizerooh25 October 2003
Just bought the DVD of this flick recently. Having not seen it for a few years, I was pleasantly reminded why this is one of my very favorite movies. Short synopsis: Big time Texan oil deal negotiator sets off for rural coastal Scotland to pitch a deal to buy the town and bay for a big project...with hilarious consequences. Just the best casting ever, as is usually the case with British movies, I find. Peter Riegert is great (as always) in the lead role of a successful executive who really feels a sense of emptiness until he meets the eccentric townspeople. Burt Lancaster is fine as the (also) eccentric star-gazing CEO of Knox Oil and Gas, who ends up in the village himself, and under the spell of the place and it's people. Just a wonderful flick. Don't miss it.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you want a great story, subtle comic genious wrapped in a beautiful-yet-odd setting, this is THE movie.
fiveby16 May 2003
If you add one good film to your repertoire of movies this year, let Local Hero be the one you add. Although it was made in 1983, the subject and story are timeless. From beginning to end, it captures your attention. The writing is brilliant, the acting even better and the locations (especially Scotland) are magic.

Do yourself a favor and watch this movie! I consider myself a film nerd, and I would categorize Local Hero in my top twenty favorites, easily.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good film to make you smile
ncewing21 February 2005
This is a nice entertaining movie to watch. The humor isn't in your face or dark. It sets a comfortable pace and you get to watch one guy's journey from having everything he wanted to finding what he did not know he needed(well, two if you count his boss played wonderfully by Burt Lancastor). The main character's's change throughout the movie isn't even realized until it's nicely hinted to when you see he does not miss his expensive watch left on the sea shore. All the characters are the kinds of people you wish you knew. And it The music is haunting and scenes are beautiful of the Scottish countryside. Both go a long way to making the movie on you want to see over again.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
still charmed all these years later
ftfekete25 May 2000
I just happen to be watching the tube late one night, surfing for some content in the sea of visuals, and I happened upon "Local Hero" just starting. It had been years since I last saw the film and I wondered if it would still engage and please me, in it's wily manner of 1983. I wasn't disappointed. The film still manages to capture a sense of the otherworldly without being off putting or quirky for quirkies sake. It is, I think, a subtle but persuasive look at values, appropriate for the beginning of the excessive 80's and the equally acquisitive 90's and beyond, and what truly brings pleasure and meaning to our daily lives. Money and material wealth aren't disparaged, but are put into the context of friends, home and the simple pleasure of looking up at the sky and seeing wonders. So after almost 20 years, the film still charms and makes you want to at least visit N. Scotland and more importantly see yourself in a new way.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, Magical Little Film
mrosen77 December 2003
My all-time favorite, Local Hero tells the tale of a big city oil man who tries to buy up a picture-perfect fishing village in Northern Scotland. What he doesn't know is the challenge before him might not necessarily be as difficult. Throw in a CEO with his head in the stars and a mermaid, and you've got one of the most gentle little comedies ever made. With a memorable score by Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame), you'll quickly feel as though you're there with our hero, "Mac." Look for little things along the way (our hero's slow ease into the laid-back culture, a motorcyclist who stops for nobody, a baby everyone cares for, the red phone box, the Northern Lights) and never say no to the man who offers to sell you a beach at a cost of a pound per grain of sand in his hat. If you've ever known the feeling of going home after a special trip, you'll appreciate the magic that this film delivers. My favorite!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A quirky, fun little film
arumbold17 August 2002
I always thought of this as Bill Forsyth's masterpiece -- when Northern Exposure came on U.S. television in the early 90s it quickly put me in mind of this film. (Too bad the residents of Cicely, Alaska didn't stay as charmingly eccentric as the residents of Furness, Scotland as that TV series wore on.) This one has it all -- memorable performances by the great Burt Lancaster, a young Peter Riegert, Peter Capaldi, and Denis Lawson; an ethereal soundtrack by the incomparable Mark Knopfler; and scenery to die for. Every time I see this movie I long to visit the coast of Scotland. I thought Norman Chancer was absolutely hilarious as Moritz, Mr. Happer's psychiatrist, especially the "I'm still here!" sequence. Also, Christopher Rozycki gives an inspired performance as Victor. I loved his rendition of "Lone Star Man" at the ceilidh, as well as his questions to Old Ben about Ben's ownership of the beach ("Any papers?" -- sounded like a cheery KGB officer). A friend of mine told me that he saw numerous parallels in the dialogue and events in the film to Thomas Mann's "Magic Mountain;" I wonder if anyone else noticed this. If you like offbeat humor, you'll love this wonderful movie; give it a watch.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minor Classic
budgiefisher9 December 2004
In this cynical age of image counting for all and increasingly small minded audiences being baffled by anything approaching subtlety, this film represents a much needed haven for the more cerebral viewer. It's pitch perfect lampooning of the massive gulf between supposedly similar cultures is a joy to behold over and over.

That fact that not much really happens is, in fact the whole point. It is a modern comedy of manners, the humour being in how characters react to alien situations.

It is exactly the kind of film Ealing studios would have produced had they survived into the 80's, and as such is to be praised for trying to show how simply taking an off centre look at real life can inform and entertain more eloquently than those who shout their satire from the rooftops.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfection? Well, it's close.
nic_miles15 March 2002
I'm never quite sure which genre this outstanding movie falls into. Is it a comedy, a drama, a love-story? I can't make my mind up and I've seen it how many times? Double figures I think! Maybe its secret is that it's a near-perfect blend of all three.

Whatever it is, it's truly outstanding. A great array of characters, some superb performances from many lesser-known performers and a show-stealer from the unlikely Burt Lancaster. A great sound track penned by Mark Knofler of Dire Straits fame adds a great deal, but I guess what I like most is the weird, quirky humour that fills virtually every scene - never obvious and 'laugh out loud' funny, but always there, bubbling away in the background with an ever so slightly twisted take on reality.

This film can't be summarised or described to someone in a way which can possibly convey it's many qualities. Go and watch it!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.