Saturday the 14th (1981) Poster

A Few Good Spots but Mostly Bad Ones
Michael_Elliott27 July 2012
Saturday the 14th (1981)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

At a will reading daddy (Richard Benjamin) inherits a cursed old house but he avoids all the warnings and moves them into it and sure enough soon monsters and other creatures are running wild. A Dracula type character (Jeffrey Tambor) wants to buy the house but the family refuses and soon Van Helsing comes to their aid. I've always wondered how many people went to watch this movie at the theater or rented it expecting some sort of slasher rip-off of Friday THE 13TH. I know when I was young I was one and I remember turning the picture off after discovering it wasn't and I'm sure this film's horrid reputation comes from people such as myself watching it, expecting something different and then bashing the picture. Viewing it today I went in knowing what to expect and it turned out the thing really wasn't all that good even when you know it's just a kid's picture. This thing would end up being sandwiched between horror spoofs like YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and THE MONSTER SQUAD and those two featured everything going right while this one here has mainly one failure after another. At just 76-minutes the film actually feels way too long and I think there are just way too many dry spots where nothing interesting is happening and there's certainly not enough laughs for a comedy. Another problem is that the film is all over the place in regards to its style, visual images and to be honest I'm really not sure what the film was trying to do. At times it references other more popular items like The Twilight Zone but at other times the film feels as if it's not trying to connect with the target audience. The performances are also quite mixed with Benjamin pretty much sleepwalking through his part. Tambor is really wasted as the Dracula character, which is a shame because he's quite funny and should have been given more to do. I did enjoy Kari Michaelsen who played the teenage daughter as she was quite charming and was certainly easy on the eyes. She also managed to be in one of the best scenes where she's taking a bath not knowing a creature is in there with her. The humor of the film avoiding nudity and how they did it was quite funny and it's too bad there weren't more scenes like this. There are few other funny moments including a few gags about "loud owls" but sadly the majority of the film is just a bust and have very limited appeal.
1 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly cheesy
Leofwine_draca20 June 2018
SATURDAY THE 14TH is an incredibly cheesy horror spoof made back in 1981. The scattershot approach sees a couple inhabiting an old spooky house which seems to be the meeting point for various monsters, generally played by guys in rubber suits. Morose vampire Jeffrey Tambor hangs around a lot while Richard Benjamin plays it straight as the hero and comes across as a real dweeb. The film spoofs various recent genre hits including Friday the 13th, Poltergeist and The Evil Dead, but the gags are really overdone and very silly for the most part; this is definitely a kid's film made at the level of kids from beginning to end. I found it rather silly and also rather irritating.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, If You're Into Stupid, Cheesy 80s Films
gavin694226 August 2010
A family inherits an old house, but unknown to them it houses the Book of Evil. Well, it is not long before the son, Billy (Kevin Brando), finds the book and unleashes a bevy of nasty monsters into the home. And if you thought Friday the 13th was bad, Saturday the 14th is even worse.

This film is written and directed by Howard R. Cohen, the writer of "Vampire Hookers". You do not have to see that film to understand what sort of person Howard is. Also, he wrote some songs for some 1980s children's cartoons. So, yeah, the guy is probably a little strange.

Simply put, this film is bad. But so bad it is good in many cases. The costumes are not believable, the jokes are lame, the acting is average... but I think that was the intent. It sure was not meant to be a good film, and unlike what the title implies, it is not a spoof of "Friday the 13th" (or really any other film). I mean, if you are calling bats "owls", you are a little wacky.

Jeffrey Tambor appears as a vampire... his story is a bit confusing, because his name is Waldemar, but he clearly shares a history with Dracula. I cannot really explain it (but it is not really important). Sadly, his role is smaller than you would expect after his strong start. The other cast is good, too, to be sure -- the dad is fantastic and VanHelsing (Severn Darden) is well-casted.

I am a bit unclear about how the daughter (Kari Michaelson) is portrayed. While the film tends to be a family film, they have over-sexualized a girl who seems to be a teenager, having her strip for a bath, and even showing a close-up of her panties coming off. It is not completely clear if a nipple is shown (you would have to freeze the frame), but this takes the film from PG to more questionable territory, for no good reason.

To my understanding, this film is only available on a bare DVD. I would love to see some features spruce this up, though I do not know what you could add to improve it: it is what it is. I watched it on an old VHS copied off the television (my girlfriend has a bizarre assortment of old Halloween-themed movies). Frankly, the film's strength is in its humor, so the picture and sound are of little consequence.
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I said it before and I'll say it again: my generation needs to acknowledge Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss more.
lee_eisenberg15 August 2007
Oh god, another horror spoof?! Yes, but you gotta love this one. I get the feeling that they made "Saturday the 14th" for fun, and cast Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss to give the flick a less than totally silly feel. Benjamin and Prentiss play the parents of a typical all-American family who inherit a deceased uncle's house. Right after they move in, the son comes across a Book of Evil. He opens it, and sure enough, the house is soon swarming with monsters that the dad for some reason never notices (why don't parents pay more attention to what their kids say?). Meanwhile, husband-and-wife vampires are looking to gain control of the house.

This film definitely constitutes nice, silly fun. I wish that they'd shown just a little more of the daughter in that one scene, but the censors probably wouldn't have allowed that. But overall, the movie shows that my generation should acknowledge the careers of Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss as my parents' generation did. Also starring Jeffrey Tambor.

If I may add one thing, the last few months of 1981 saw some varied but fine cinema: aside from this movie, there was "Das Boot", "Gallipoli", "Mommie Dearest", "Mephisto", "The Looney, Looney, Looney Bugs Bunny Movie", "Ragtime", "My Dinner with Andre" and "Reds". Impressive.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amiable horror spoof
Woodyanders24 January 2017
A family moves into a rundown old house in Eerie, Pennsylvania that contains an ancient book of evil. The house becomes overrun with various monsters after said book is accidentally opened.

Writer/director Howard R. Cohen relates the enjoyably inane story at a zippy pace, maintains a good-natured goofball tone throughout, displays a genuine affection for the horror genre, and comes up with several witty gags (a television that only plays reruns of "The Twilight Zone," an inspired bathtub parody of "Jaws"). The natural and engaging chemistry between Richard Benjamin as happily oblivious dad John and Paula Prentiss as chipper mom Mary keeps this picture humming. Moreover, it's acted with zest by the rest of the enthusiastic cast: Jeffrey Tambor as sinister vampire Waldemar, Severn Darden as flaky occult expert Van Helsing, Kari Michaelson as perky (and super cute) daughter Debbie, Kevin Brando as smart and resourceful son Billy, Rosemary DeCamp as the snippy Aunt Lucille, Carol Androsky as perky real estate agent Marge, and Roberta Collins as annoying klepto Cousin Rhonda. Parmer Fuller's appropriately cornball score adds to the campy mood. The tacky (not so) special effects possess a certain lovably chintzy charm. A real dippy hoot.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About as much fun as a wet weekend.
BA_Harrison11 July 2009
A family inherits a creepy old house in which there exists an ancient evil book. When son Billy (Kevin Brando) opens the dusty tome, he unwittingly frees the nasty creatures imprisoned within its pages.

I revisited this dreadful spoof horror after over 25 years for one reason only: to see if actress Kari Michaelson, who played the teenage daughter of Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, was as hot as I seemed to recall.

The good news is that my memory hasn't failed me: Michaelson is very yummy, particularly in her bath scene, which proves to be the highlight of the film, not only because it gives viewers the opportunity to have a letch, but also because it actually displays some level of invention (I'm convinced that it must have been the influence for a very similar scene in A Nightmare On Elm Street).

Everything else about the film is as bad as I remembered: the script is utter garbage; the comedy is very hit and miss, with the emphasis on miss; the acting is dreadful; and the special effects are extremely amateurish. Admittedly, the approach taken by writer/director Howard R. Cohen and his cast is 'knowingly bad', but that doesn't make proceedings any more fun for the audience: groaning at a crap joke just ain't the same as laughing at a good one!
4 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disappointing movie...
paul_haakonsen19 March 2019
Well, oddly enough it is not before 2019 that I actually got to watch "Saturday the 14th", even though I think even my brother had this movie on VHS back in the day.

So was it worth waiting 38 years for? No. Definitely no.

Sure, it was fun to watch a young Paula Prentiss and Jeffrey Tambor in the movie. But seen from an entertainment perspective, then there was surprisingly little of any interest or worthwhile entertainment to be had throughout the course of the movie. And I must admit that my attention was starting to falter a couple of times throughout the movie.

For a movie of this, that sort of is a spoof, but not rightfully so, then there was surprisingly little laughs to be found throughout the entire movie. I think I laughed maybe twice somewhere along the line.

This was definitely not a particularly memorable movie, and it was so painstakingly obvious that all costumes were exactly that - costumes! They were horribly fake and they hadn't even bothered to adhere the costumes around the eyes, making it even more clear that it was just people wearing elaborate Halloween costumes.

Not really worth the time or effort, because I had expected more in terms of fun and laughs, but I was sorely disappointed.
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It gets bad on Friday the 13th but it gets worse on Saturday the 14th"
tavm14 September 2013
Okay, so on the 12th day of this month which was a Thursday, I watched Pandemonium which was originally supposed to be called Thursday the 12th. Yesterday on the 13th day which was a Friday, I watched Friday the Thirteenth (no, not the slasher pic from 1980). So today, I just saw Saturday the 14th. I remember previously seeing this on HBO back in the day and not thinking it funny at all. This time, I was amused by the first time Richard Benjamin's character was oblivious to a monster behind his back and the time his actual wife Paula Prentiss tried to bite him as a vampire. Other than those scenes, I still found the whole thing lame. Oh, and the only remotely scary scene was when those bats were attacking Ms. Prentiss. While watching, when a character named Van Helsing was introduced, I suddenly remembered that Benjamin had played a character with that name in the much better horror spoof, Love at First Bite, which he made a couple of years before. Part of me was wishing I was watching that again as lame scene after lame scene kept coming on in this boring and confusing movie. So not only were the leads wasted but also great character actor Jeffrey Tambor as the vampire. Good thing teen Kari Michaelsen had "Gimme a Break" to return to after finishing this. So on that note, I can't recommend Saturday the 14th.
4 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this supposed to be funny? Or scary? ...Or anything at all?
Coventry31 October 2005
Oh yeah...we have a winner! This has got to be most retarded movie I've ever seen! I don't care whether it was meant to be accessible for younger viewers or not, this "spoof" stands for everything that gives the horror genre a bad name! Amateurish and terribly lame rubbish that doesn't even seem to know what it's poking fun at. Judging by the title, you'd think that the screenplay mercilessly attacks the box-office hit "Friday the 13th" and all its brainless clones, but it's not even mentioning a masked killer. Instead, we have a family of unintelligent souls inheriting a house stuffed with monsters. When Junior opens a book he shouldn't have, the countdown for the end of the world has begun. The only kind of "special effects" are a bunch of idiots who volunteered to dress up like silly monsters in cheap-looking costumes. I counted one remotely funny gag ("damn owls...") and all the other jokes and witty lines were embarrassingly dire. I truly hope that cast and crew were really proud to be a part of this turkey. Avoid at all costs.
11 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Straight outta Erie. PA.
BandSAboutMovies14 April 2018
Real-life husband and wife Richard Benjamin (Catch-22 and the original Westworld) and Paula Prentiss (The Stepford Wives) play John and Mary, who have inherited his uncle's house in Eerie, PA. If that line made you laugh, then Saturday the 14th is for you.

Along with their kids Debbie and Billie, they try and fix the house up. But they're opposed by Waldemar (Jeffrey Tambor, Arrested Development) and Yolanda, two vampires who want the book of evil within the house. Billy finds the book and with each turn of the page, he unleashes monster after monster into the house.

Soon, the TV can only get The Twilight Zone, sandwiches, dishes and nosy neighbors all disappear and eyeballs show up in John's coffee cup. It's nothing out of the ordinary to our heroes, who seem blind to the supernatural going on all around them.

Waldemar gets into the house as a bat, so they hire an exterminator (Severn Darden, Kolp from Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) who turns out to be Van Helsing.

After a housewarming party where the monsters kill every guest, we learn that the vampires are the good guys and Van Helsing just wants the book so he can rule the world. The good guys - now who include the vamps - win and Jon and Mary get an upscale home while Waldemar and Yolanda settle into the cursed home.

Director Howard R. Cohen also wrote The Unholy Rollers, Deathstalker and Barbarian Queen before choosing this as his first film. He also directed Space Raiders, Time Trackers and Saturday the 14th Strikes Back.

Some trivia - every time you see Prentiss, look closely. She's hiding the cast on her arm, as she broke it before filming began.

Also, this is Benjamin's last feature film as an actor, as he started directing with 1982's My Favorite Year.

While sold as a parody of slasher films, this movie more accurately makes light of monster movies as a whole. If you're looking for other funnier horror films of a similar bent, I'd recommend Wacko, Pandemonium, Student Bodies or Class Reunion.

I remember this movie running on HBO quite often in my youth. It's a pleasant enough diversion, almost an Airplane! version of horror or a Mad Magazine come to life. The monsters are way better than you'd think they'd be, too!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"If you weren't immortal, you'd kill yourself!"
Hey_Sweden4 March 2017
Real life couple Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss star in this crude and goofy horror parody from New World and producer Julie Corman (Roger C.s' wife). They play John and Mary, who inherit some property that turns out to be cursed. When their inquisitive son Billy (Kevin Brando) happens to open an all important book, he unleashes unspeakable evil on the house - and potentially the world. A non stop assortment of truly ridiculous monsters show up to terrorize John, Mary, Billy, and teen aged daughter Debbie (Kari Michaelsen).

Also along for the ride is top character actor Severn Darden, as an exterminator with the appropriate name of Van Helsing. Jeffrey Tambor, in his second feature film appearance, co- stars as a vampire named Waldemar. As always, these two guys prove to be very valuable. The movie really does hit its stride once Darden shows up. He has most of the best lines.

This is going to come off as much too tame and lame for some tastes, but clearly screenwriter / director Howard R. Cohen was going for a family audience. Some characters do die, but mostly off screen, and there isn't much gore to speak of - aside from a fairly nasty severed head. The creature costumes are hysterically dumb looking, and among those horror classics spoofed are "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "Jaws", and "The Birds". The finale is absolutely cartoonish, with sound effects accompanying all the face making that our adversaries are doing.

Benjamin and the oh so sexy Prentiss are a hoot as the parents, and are ably supported by Tambor, Darden, and others like Rosemary DeCamp, Stacy Keach Sr., and 70s exploitation starlet Roberta Collins.

It might be silly and infantile, but that's not always necessarily a bad thing, and this could appeal to any horror fan who saw it as a kid, or the young at heart.

Six out of 10.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"If you need anything just scream." Hit 'n' miss horror/comedy/spoof.
poolandrews28 February 2006
Saturday the 14th starts at the reading of a will, as the attorney (Stacy Keach Sr.) informs the various gathered relatives what they have inherited it turns out that married couple John (Richard Benjamin) & Mary (Paula Prentiss) have been left a house, it's contents & surrounding estate. Sweet as a nut right? Well no because once they pitch up outside with their two children Billy (Kevin Brando) & Debbie (Kari Michaelson) & see the place they discover that it's in a somewhat 'distressed' condition, however they think that with a nice pair of curtains in the windows it won't look as bad. As Billy explores his new home he finds a book, a book with the ominous sounding title 'The Book of Evil', as Billy turns each page a monster is brought to life, from the Mummy to The Creature from the Black Lagoon & it's not long before the whole house is swarming with the things. Meanwhile Mary has discovered the loft contains lots of bats so they call the exterminators who send Van Helsing (Severn Darden), Van Helsing is convinced that he will encounter Count Dracula (Jeffrey Tambor) since he has the power to transform himself into a bat. Oh, & as luck would have it Van Helsing is a bit of an expert when it comes to monsters & The Book of Evil, but will he be able to stop the world from being overrun by evil monsters & save Mary from a Vampire curse...

Written & directed by Howard R. Cohen I thought Saturday the 14th showed signs of life on occasion but was dead in the water on other's. The script isn't a spoof of the slasher genre as it's title that spoofs Friday the 13th (1980) would suggest but a spoofy homage to lots of classic horror films including Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954), The Mummy (1932), The Birds (1963), The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) just about any Dracula film & Werewolf film The House on Haunted Hill (1959), The Exorcist (1973), The Omen (1976), Halloween (1978), The Evil Dead (1982) & a whole plethora of other's including my favourite scene set in a bathtub that makes fun out of Jaws (1975)! Unfortunately for every sequence that works there is one that doesn't, it tries hard & it moves along at a nice pace as it tries to fill the screen with visual gags, send-ups & one liners but far too much of it just isn't funny. There are some amusing moments in it but just not enough of them. I would imagine the average horror fan would get more enjoyment from Saturday the 14th as opposed to those not interested in the genre as some of the in-jokes & references might go over their head a little. It could have been better but then again it could have been worse.

Director Cohen actually does a good job of creating a nice horror film vibe & atmosphere with the old dark cobweb strewn house looking really good but the comedy obviously dilutes it somewhat, I actually sat there wishing it had been played slightly straighter as it could have made for a reasonably effective comedy horror. Despite being aimed squarely at a family audience a decapitated head keeps popping up, the monsters are a mixed bunch as some look quite good while other's look terrible.

Technically the film is fine & even fairly impressive with decent production values & it's generally well made throughout. The acting was OK & no-one embarrasses themselves too much.

Saturday the 14th is a watchable comedy horror spoof & sets it's stall out right from the opening animated credits as a sunglass wearing cartoon bat repeatedly keeps flying into a tree & it doesn't get much more sophisticated than that. One for the kids maybe as it is just a little bit too silly & patchy for my die hard horror film fan tastes!
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goofy
Calicodreamin26 October 2021
A few of the jokes definitely landed, but the premise and storyline were just too nonsensical. The monsters meandered around and the resolution was confusing. I love a good spoof, but this was just too loosely held together.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Puerile horror comedy
gridoon202111 June 2019
Unfunny and boring horror comedy. A few good makeup effects (the severed head looks very real!) and the hot daughter (the actress was 20 at the time, so I can say it!) cannot save it. It's a total time-waster. *1/2 out of 4.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it as a kid.
Aaron137517 August 2009
Can not really rate this one a score as I have not seen this movie in ages. From the score here it appears that while I may have enjoyed the movie as a kid, it may have been more for the simple fact there was monsters in it than it was for the fact it was a good movie. I recall basic plot points of it such as a book that I think causes all the problems to there being some vampires that were there to try and help stop the monsters from taking over or whatever they were trying to do. I saw this movie a lot as a kid and I would rather watch it again so I can see if it is as bad as most people claim it is here. Other things I remember is a scene where the creature from the black lagoon comes out of a bathtub. The plot other than the fact the book caused stuff is mostly a blur. Which may be the reason the score here is so low, it may be that the plot is incoherent and terrible. I would wait to review this movie till I saw it again, but chances are I will not ever be able to find it again.
1 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun horror spoof, albeit one-dimensional and underwhelming
Wuchakk23 March 2020
A normal family (Richard Benjamin, Paula Prentiss, et al.) inherits a creepy mansion in Erie, Pennsylvania, but a centuries-old vampire & his bride (Jeffrey Tambor & Nancy Lee Andrews) are also interested in the house. Severn Darden shows up as Van Helsing. Fun shenanigans ensue.

"Saturday the 14th" (1981) is comedy-horror that doesn't spoof "Friday the 13th," as the title implies, but rather Dracula flicks, "Jaws," "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," "The Birds," and various other creature features. The movie has a good heart and is amusing in a silly way, but the setting is limited to the mansion and the story's not compelling enough. The potential of the script needed further milked.

Nevertheless, Kari Michaelsen as the daughter perks things up on the feminine front. She was 19 during shooting, but looks 15-16. Meanwhile Nancy Lee Andrews as the vampire bride is sharp, but not enough is done with her (she, incidentally, was engaged to Ringo Starr at one point).

The film runs 1 hour, 15 minutes.

GRADE: C
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly but silly in a good way.
mm-3920 October 2018
Saw this film on a family trip while watching H B O in the hotel room. So many funny one liners which my family kept repeating years latter. NO NO NO ooo no thank you. Liquor store.... No private residence. Funny one liners if you watched Saturday the 14th. The characters are funny. The liquor store deliver boy. The annoying relatives. The most annoying relative gets eaten by the fur coat. The vampire "I would kill me self if I where not immortal!" The crazy vampire hunter with socially does not get it. The obsession for can openers. The Twilight zone theme music and narration play at the right moments on the T V. Lot's of one liners, joke, gimmicks, and the same sticks which really works. Well timed, greatly, executed, film which is more like stand up comedy. 7 out of 10 stars.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
average spoof,with a few amusing moments
disdressed1224 June 2007
this is a spoof of other movies of that era,some horror,some not.i found it silly more than anything,and at times it denigrates into near stupidity.i was able to watch the whole movie,though it is quite slow at times.it does have some mildly amusing moments,coupled with some intentionally(or not)ultra cheap special effects,and some really bizarre looking monsters,some even stupid looking.this movie definitely inspired other movies down the road,some good,some bad. there isn't really anything resembling acting in the movie,except for Richard Benjamin who is quite good as the unflappable(or clueless)father who doesn't bat an eye,no matter what bizarre happenings are occurring right under his nose.he is quite amusing at times.otherwise,there is a lot of screaming and running around.For me,"Saturday the 14th" is a 5/10
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very bad.
gridoon21 January 2000
A poor movie - to put it mildly. The misleading title may make you think that this is going to be a parody of the "Friday the 13Th" formula, but it isn't. In fact, it's hard to know what type of movie they're supposed to be spoofing here. Anyway, this film is an appallingly unfunny comedy AND an unscary horror flick, so there's no reason for you to see it. It has one blessing, however, that saved it from the 1/10 rating (I gave it a 2): it's very, very short - but still not short enough to camouflage its lack of inspiration.
11 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is bad, but at least it's short
cricketbat16 October 2021
I remember liking Saturday the 14th when I was a kid. I must not have been a very bright kid. This movie is not good. It felt like I was watching a rough cut of a film that hadn't been finished yet. The story is confusing, the acting is wooden, the comedy is uninspired, and while there are some fun visual effects, others look really hokey. This movie is a waste of time, but at least it's short.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should Be Called "Don't Open That Book" OR "If You Sat Down to Watch This - You Axed for It"
BaronBl00d30 June 2012
Remember this from the early 80s? I sure did though I really forgot just how incredibly bad it was. Yes, I know it is suppose to be funny. Does every filmmaker that attempts to do something funny get a free pass if it is not very good? I think not. Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss with their two children inherit a weird and eerie home from Benjamin's dead(or should I say DED) uncle. The house also is the focal point of an obvious vampire couple. The happy family nevertheless moves in and the small boy finds a book that he should not have opened. Once he does a legion of poorly rubber-suited monsters one by one, page by page come alive and begin to cause catastrophe and hilarity - neither of which actually happens. Director Howard Cohen did this with his usual aplomb - that says nothing particularly good about him or this film. The script is just awful but the special effects, etc... which are used are even worse. The acting, for the most part, is not that bad. The married couple(married in real life as well) does a fair job considering what they are working with. Jeffrey Tambor, always good, plays a vampire rather well in his comedic manner. Severn Darden plays Van Helsing and has probably the best parts(that would be like someone going out with the prettiest sister in a quartet of proverbial dogs - yes, you could make the same analogy with guys if you like). Lovely Kari Michealsen, best remembered for the older sister on Gimme Me a Break, is OK and nearly nude in a bathtub scene that has a creature from the black lagoon wannabe move his head's comb like a shark and then rise 6 foot plus tall. There are some things I thought were fairly funny: the tub scene, the Twilight Zone constantly on television, the tongue-in-cheek manner Benjamin and Prentis and even Tambor and Darden use as they waltz through this dreck. The film really does not have much else going for it. It could have been so much more. I realize that many have a high opinion of this film, but for me it is like Gilligan's Island or The Brady Bunch. I loved them as a kid, but now I find I can barely sit through an episode. I felt that way only much, much, much more so with Saturday the 14th.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monster mash-up that is reasonably entertaining.
Stevieboy66615 September 2019
A family inherit a large, creepy house which is home to an old book that opens up a world of assorted monsters. Horror comedy that has nothing what so ever to do with the Friday the 13th movies, this is a romp featuring vampires and other beasts, one of which looks like the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Made in 1981 I think this has aged quite well. The family gel well, after all the parents were a real life copy. There's plenty of horror shenanigans and simple comedy, at 77 minutes it runs along at a good pace.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not hilarious, but kind of fun.
LebowskiT100027 August 2002
I wouldn't say this movie was hilarious, in fact I didn't laugh very hard at all throughout this film, although there are some good jokes here and there. A lot of the jokes were either really corny or just aren't very funny to me. I wouldn't say that is a bad thing, I just think that's a sign of the times. I think it's safe to say that comedy of the early 1980's is a great deal different than comedy of the 2000's, at least for this type of movie. There are a few movies that are just as old, if not older, that are still outright hilarious, so this isn't true in all cases.

I can't really say much about the cast, because the only person I recognized in the film was Jeffrey Tambor (Waldemar). Although, I did think that Kari Michaelson (Debbie) was quite the looker in this film. As far as acting goes, both Jeffrey Tambor and Kari Michaelson did just fine in their roles, as well as a few of the other cast members. But, I must admit that some of the acting was just TERRIBLE! It literally sounded like he/she was reading the words off a queue card or something.

This film is by no means a great film, but if you're a fan of horror/comedy film, then you should probably check this out. If you not really a big fan of horror/comedy films, then you might want to spend your money elsewhere. In any case, if you do end up seeing the film, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading,

-Chris
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crickets chirping
PIST-OFF26 August 2020
I remember seeing this as a kid. I remember thinking that while it was no Airplane it was funny. I recently re-watched it. Not only did I not laugh at most of the jokes, some of them were just painfully unfunny. Seems like better choices in actor and writers could have made this a lot funnier. I suppose to be generous it was only partially spoofing a genre which had only existed for less than half a decade. This seems more like it riffs on the older Universal horror movies.... problem is Mel Brooks had cornered that market with Young Frankenstein. There's a reason this movie is forgotten.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic spoof
acedj5 November 2019
Come on people. This movie is not only a classic, but it is Hi-larious. The tag line alone was great. I saw this movie shortly after it came out, forever ago and loved it, and have watched it yearly. This was not intended to be an Oscar contender, and it should not be judged like it was.The one purpose of this movie is to poke fun at the horror movies of the time and elicit laughter. Sit back, turn off the brain and enjoy.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.