Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 36 items
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- Indy has a brief fight with a man under a plane. The mans body is chopped in half by the propellers and blood is seen.
- Two men engage in a brutal fight inside a truck, one is throwing through the windshield, but he manages to climb back inside and throws the other man through the windshield, running him over with the truck offscreen.
- Indy beats up a man offscreen, and steals his clothes.
- A man is skewered by a booby trap; we see his bloody remains in a "jump moment". There are spears going through his head, and his body. It is slightly graphic, and fairly bloody, but we see it for about a second.
- A man's body is revealed to have many poison darts in its back. His shirt has bloodstains around the wounds. Bloody.
- During a bar fight, a man is shot in the face, with spurting blood pouring down his head. Another man is shot in the back of the head and blood dribbles from his mouth (wound not shown).
- In a market place fight, several men are punched and hit with objects, a man is run through with a sword and then fruit, we see the fruit falling off the sword as it is pulled back through the man. Another man is shot point blank (bloodlessly), and dies.
- A man is shot while driving a truck, it shows a close up of his hand covered in blood, but not the wound.
- Two men engage in a brutal fight near a plane, and one of the men is taken out by a spinning propeller (offscreen), splattering blood all over the plane, but we don't see his body.
- A car is shown being driven off a very high cliff, and the bodies of the men in it are shown to be flailing along side the car as it falls.
- A man is beaten unconscious by Indy inside a ship.
- A thug accidentally stabs one of his allies with a sword.
- Twice in the movie half-rotted skeletons are shown. They are very frightening and in some cases, very disturbing.
- 1 use of "holy shit", 2 uses of goddamn, 2 uses of hell, 1 use of bastard, 1 use of "son of a bitch".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Marion and Belloq down several shots of liquor and become very drunk.
- Marion owns a bar, we are first introduced to her when she has a shot competition.
- A man is seen smoking pipe. Very short scene.
- Indy is shown drinking in a bar with the monkey. Men in an Egyptian bar are seen smoking hookahs. Karen is shown smoking once and drinking in two other situations. A Nazi is shown smoking, where after he throws the cigarette in a pipe on a ship.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A snake slithers through a skeletons mouth.
- Indy falls into a pit of snakes. Anyone with a phobia of snakes can find this scary.
- Two men enter a cave and find some big, tarantula-like spiders on one of their shoulders. In a few seconds it turns out one of them is completely covered in them. They get rid of them easily and no-one is hurt, but this scene can be pretty intense to those with arachnophobia.
- In Marion's bar, Toht orders her seized and approaches her with a red-hot poker to torture for the artifact he wants. For a few baited seconds, Toht is in a close-up relishing the agony is about to inflict, until the poker is suddenly ripped away by Indiana Jones with his bullwhip.
- A man's hand is burned lightly after touching a piece of warm metal (relic). The aftermath of his hand is shown later.
- A man is sliced by a planes blades; it is offscreen but blood splatters on the windshield.
- The first scene is fairly frightening and intense, where Indy finds a man with spears through his body and runs from a moving boulder, among other things.
- Indy and Marion are shown trying to escape from a room while snakes are threatening their lives.
- Skeletons are frightening.
Sex & Nudity
- Kissing between main characters, but no sex to be seen.
- When Marion is getting takes of her bra to get changed, her back is shown in a mirror. No nudity.
- When running through the jungle, the backsides of native men may be briefly visible.
- When Marion falls to the place where the Ark is, we can briefly see her panties. This shot is only a second and it's easy to miss.
Violence & Gore
- Some Nazi's skin melt. Can be considered gory.
- A Capuchin monkey perishes after it eats a poisoned date. It's dead body is seen two separate clips.
- The end scene is frightening and graphic. A man's face melts completely on-screen with blood, and weird white stuff (possibly skin) melts off of his face; another man's face implodes, its lobes are torn from the ear, its tongue crumbles to blood, and his eyeballs roll back into the skull; and another man's head completely explodes on screen, although somewhat mitigated by fire in the foreground. While these depictions are quite graphic and contain blood and gore, they occur briefly. The rest of the Nazis have lightning struck through their bodies (Some of them flashing their bodies).
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A capuchin monkey eats a poisoned date and dies. While the death happens off camera, it's dead body is shown in two separate clips. Some people, particularly animal lovers and young children, may be upset by this.
- We see ghosts flying around in the air. A female ghost with a very pretty face flies up on centre screen. Then, on centre screen in an instant, she and all of the other ghosts turn into very scary creatures symbolizing death and brutally kill all of the bad guys. The creatures fire lightning bolts that kill all but three of the bad guys. Of the remaining three, a man's head explodes (blood splatters everywhere). A man's face shrivels up with blood spilling out, and another man's face melts with a lot of blood. The ghosts then renter the Ark of the Covenant. This is one of the most famous scenes in the movie.