Dynasty (TV Series 1981–1989) Poster

(1981–1989)

Dynasty: Crazy, Campy and Way Over-the-Top!!!
I watched Dynasty from episode one and very rarely ever missed the Wednesday night saga of the Carringtons. Having recently purchased the DVD set of the first season, I've been giving the show a lot of thought... Like many other TV shows both past and present, Dynasty started without a clear focus and eventually matured into something unique and far removed from what the producers originally intended. The show had two distinct eras: pre-Alexis and post-Alexis. No, Joan Collins didn't make or break Dynasty, but she gave it a heck of a fun "flavor." At its inception, Dynasty was a serious, almost somber account of the lives of the super rich Carringtons of Denver, CO. There was patriarch Blake, confused son Steven, spoiled brat Fallon, and Blake's new and very overwhelmed wife, Krystle. Having now watched a little of that first season, I find myself eagerly waiting for Alexis to turn the family on its collective ear! Dynasty's ultimate strength, and also its downfall, was in its becoming campy and larger than life. While some of us may expect the super-wealthy to act crazy, Dynasty added plot lines and characters that were the traditional soap-opera themes magnified with a huge budget, and beautiful people... illicit affairs, long-lost children, traumatic pregnancies, murders, trials, etc... There were frequent mis-steps (the Moldavian Prince, Michael, comes to mind as well as the entire 'The Colbys' series) and there were truly fun characters like Alexis and son Adam whom we loved to hate. But to me, the bottom line will always be that Dynasty was campy and much larger-than-life. It was a lot of fun those eight years, always wondering what would happen next...
32 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty... a REAL soapy opera
gregar11 September 2000
Dynasty concerned the goings-on of a wealthy Denver, Colorado family, the Carringtons. While it was surreal, campy, and wayyyy out to the left of reality, it was still FUN. It still caught and kept your attention and left you wanting much more. John Forsythe's Blake Carrington was the family's patriarch, always seeming a little bit confused about what was going on. His lovely young wife, Linda Evan's Crystal, was always getting stuck in some kind of trouble. Joan Collins as Alexis was sheer delight! A campy witch who was always causing trouble. The cast was large and the stories grand and fun. I never missed an episode of Dynasty during it's original run. Not until I went to college during the 1987-88 season... What I wouldn't give to see it all again!
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
happy memories of the '80s
blanche-223 November 2005
Dynasty was a huge favorite of myself and my friends, and I have many memories of discussing the show with them either over the phone as it was happening or the next day. The Carringtons were created to compete with the highly successful Dallas and Ewings of South Fork, but Dynasty was never a copycat show. While Dallas certainly focused on the soap opera elements common to all these programs, J.R.'s sliminess in business was a focal point. Dynasty was about obvious, over the top luxury and family with some camp elements included that made it special. What I loved about Dynasty was that, at least in the beginning, it was never camp for camp's sake - the camp was part of the show. For instance, when the casting of Fallon changed, the portrait of the old Fallon that hung over the fireplace was quietly replaced with a painting of the new one, Emma Samms, that looked like a paint by the numbers from Woolworth's. And of course, Joan Collins' Alexis had camp built right into the character. And there was Steven's plastic surgery...so many happy moments.

And no other show could boast the wardrobe of Dynasty, or the beauty of Linda Evans. I can still see her, bedecked in diamonds, walking toward Blake in a blue gown slit all the way up her thigh.

For me, once they had Alexis disguised as a nun and the whole Moldavian thing started, the show became self-conscious camp, as these shows often do, and I lost interest. But certainly Dynasty was a bright spot in the '80s and for a time, you couldn't beat it.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes you feel good!
sexysalonikon4 May 2006
Where else can you find the bitchiest 50 year old, dressed in the most extravagant gowns of all time? Sounds like the perfect show to me! Yes, Dynasty was without a doubt that one show that basically encouraged fans to sit back, put up their feet and watch how these "rich bastards" are living! No other show, not even the ultra popular Dallas, could take fantasy to that level. The show made you feel as though you too could be a Carrington living in a mansion and drinking champange. The "storylines" or perhaps lack of, left plenty of room to emphasize what audiences really wanted to see: sex, power, vanity and the most expensive jewels in all the world! This is Dynasty and the 80s at its very best!
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty Loved it Dynamic
SandraOmnp13 November 2003
I loved Dynasty. It was and still is my all time favorite show. Given that it aired once a week for an hour, I found this show both entertaining and informative, the story lines may have seemed far fetched but, only due to the time given to tell them. For the time the show aired people found it unbelieveable, but if Dynasty aired today I am sure it would not seem as far fetched. If these same producers came out with another show I am sure it would be just as ground breaking in its story lines as Dynasty was. This show brought out a whole new fashion trend, a more acceptable view of the gay life style a look in to the future of corporate take overs, the awareness of casual relationships, the increasing lack of committment and faithful in marriages, the total disregard of others rights to own businesses due to greed and the need to have more. Dynasty gave more than just campy soap it also told of what to expect in the future as a result of current actions. Great work Mr. Spelling, any time one gives a view of future events he will be condemed. And since Dynasty addressed so many tabu issues the powers that be were afraid to allow it to continue. Hopefully Mr Spelling or some other producer will be bold enough to give the public a view of the future through entertaining drama. BRAVO
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty - My dream and my reality
Ultimate Dynasty24 January 2002
My name is Goran Markovic, I'm a 35 years old professor from Serbia. My life consists of various activities but through out the years I kept a special place in my heart for Dynasty. It is my connection to the past, time when I was growing up, finding out about the facts of life, when I was exchanging impressions on Dynasty with some great people, and today, we still share memories of our favorite characters and events. I hope you learned a lot about me, my thoughts about Dynasty through Ultimate Dynasty site. But memories are something personal, hidden deep within us, and I wanna share a part of it with Dynasty fans world wide.

In 1984, when the news of broadcasting Dynasty in Serbia was announced, there was a lot of commotion because the communist government thought the show will have a negative influence on the nation by spreading capitalistic ideas with the story about wealth and luxury and this way destabilize the communist regime. It only made the nation more intrigues and with a lot of dust, Dynasty began airing. I remember sitting with my parents and my sister at our home when the first episode was on. No one said a word until its end. It was a beginning of a ferry tale in my the live of my family but also, the beginning of incredible euphoria in all country. It was the most popular show for years, and I couldn't face missing an episode.

Years went by and my country and the surrounding area was struck by war, bombarding and terror, communists fell, now my country lives in freedom with hope of a better life ahead, and all this time Dynasty was a refuge from problems, difficulties of every day's life. The show especially marks the period when I went to school to another city. Season 4 was on, I was in the dorm. We stayed awake even after our bad time because the show aired in late hours and my roomies and I watched it in secrecy sop that our teachers wouldn't catch us. We stayed awake 'till morning, talking about events and characters.

My imagination went wild, I pretended to be one of the characters, I imagined I was in the Filoli mansion, checking its every corner. The world of Carrington's was my world. It is still my great wish to visit America, meet some of the actors, visit the Filoli mansion. I spend years collecting pictures and episodes of the show. I almost have all Dynasty and the Colbys episodes taped, and it was time to create and present this site to you which is my all time wish coming through.

The memories today are still very much vivid and alive, I share them with my family, friends, fans. Dynasty is my dream and my reality.

Sincerely, Goran Markovic
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show that made its own mark in television history
Although ABC's "Dynasty" really began as a response to the wildly popular "Dallas" on CBS, the show became so much more over its original U.S. run, from 1981 to 1989.

While "Dallas" had a bit of the earthy element of the ranch and the land and their value (think Miss Ellie) mixed in with the big-bucks oil industry, "Dynasty" was all glitz, all the time. After the show found its way during the first season, and Alexis arrived for the second, the characters went great guns in their portrayal of '80s capitalism and high living. We all wanted to watch. Maybe, in a way, we all wanted to live those lives. But would we, really? Hmmm ...

Being a chick, I enjoyed the **fashions** and the intrigue as I watched the show originally in the 1980s. I was a teen who hadn't yet experienced the big world out there yet, and I think the show appealed to a lot of people my age for that same reason. I'm thankful that the show has been released on DVD now, because I talked to so many fans over the years who desperately longed for the videos (back before DVD)!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vastly underrated first season best of all.
brendanchenowith14 April 2005
When it was in production, I only began to watch Dynasty in the middle of the second season, the night of the big pillow fight, and I was hooked. VCR's were only a week away at that time and there was nothing like this sort of availability. Anyway, I later viewed the first season on FX in the mid 90's (I think) and wasn't very impressed with it at first, but I was taping them and decided to go back and see the occasional episode. May I say the first season not only grew on me, but it was its very best. No outlandish plots, both rich and "getting-by" classes were depicted as actual human beings. No suspension of disbelief, this was a very credible drama, only to later become a very INcredible circus! I was very well addicted to this circus, and it was very amusing and there were a lot of great lines, etc., not to mention the actors and actresses. I didn't like it when we were pummeled by the cast revolving door, so to speak, and upon Pamela Sue Martin's departure, I didn't think I was going to watch it anymore, but I thought, "what the hay! I didn't have anything special to do on Wednesday nights, anyway, so.....".

Very happy to hear there will be interviews with my two favorite Dynasty-ites, Pamela Sue Martin and Al Corley.

Fallon and Steven aren't number 1 and number 2 favorites, more like 1-A and 1-B Can't wait to get this - the digital transfer ought to be a stunner - I'm sure my two-year-old videos from SoapNet are fading just a little. Did I mention I taped all of these in slow speed?
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably my favorite show, I have 'em all on tape
cmichaud31 August 2004
A few thoughts to add on this classic series: I was hooked from the very first episode, when Blake was driving his limo across the estate and Fallon raced him on her horse and got thrown. She got dirty and wet, so she put on Blake's sport coat when he stopped to help her. Then she got back on the horse and rode it to the stable, presumably WEARING NOTHING BUT THE COAT!!! Daddy's girl indeed, clearly this was like nothing that had ever aired before! The elaborate, preposterous plot twists, like Adam's using poison paint on Jeff's wall, were all part of the fun. The Moldavian massacre was brilliant -- practically Shakesperean as the camera pulled back to show a heap of bodies, worthy of Hamlet or MacBeth. There were however some major miscalculations, such as Emma Samms' replacing the brilliantly snippy Pamela Sue Martin. The less said about her the better. Than there was the plot twist (Steven's disappearance) that had Fallon become buddies with Krystal. "OH Krystal!" she wailed as they embraced. This was a really, really bad turn. The tension between those two had been one of the few things that made Krystal even moderately interesting. And it made Fallon seem dull once she teamed up with Krystal. Yecchh. Then there was Blake's evolution from a heavy into a wooden, semi-decent dullard. This, as I understand, was at John Forsythe's behest, as he didn't want to play such a heavy. MISTAKE! Bringing in new characters wasn't always so awful, I don't think. Adam became one of the show's most fun, interesting villains. Often, the show's silliest bits were its best: Paul Burke, as Cong. McVane, dressed in full drag (with wig and gown) so that he'd be mistaken for Alexis if anyone spied him tossing tennis pro Mark off the balcony -- how can you not love that? And perhaps my favorite all time moment, which I still show at parties: Claudia (poor dear..) cornered on the roof with Fallon's baby (or so we thought). When she lurches away, the baby , in a long shot, flies out of the bunting , through the air, and the camera changes angle to just below the edge of the roof, looking UP, and you see the 'baby' , in SLO MO, yet, sailing through the air, down towards the camera! WOW!!!! (No dead baby jokes here, it turned out to be a doll. Claudia really was whacked at the time...) Sigh. I miss it all , even with the tapes. The latter years weren't worth much, but those first five seasons or so were unmatched. I disagree wholeheartedly that it was only good for a year or 2 before going down the tubes.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fallon, why did they ruin Fallon
RavenGlamDVDCollector21 March 2014
I've been watching since last year on DVD and I was pleasantly surprised to find a show that aged so well. The character of Fallon Carrington in season 1 is perhaps the best ever written for an actress on TV, and Pamela Sue Martin did a great job. The spoiled rich girl with her horse, and the expensive vintage car she's messing up without caring, and her Dad's entire basketball team that she is taking to bed. All the while we could see she would make a fiery company president, and that Blake's heritage would be going to new heights with her at the helm, but because she did not get her Father's recognition, she took it out on those around her like a She-Wolf of the SS. All of the early episodes of Season 1 up to where Blake goes to trial had Fallon as the one to watch.

But things went downhill from there. According to Esther Shapiro, they actually listened to what viewers wanted, and gave them the show they asked for. Apparently people said they loved the show but Fallon was nasty. Hell, they watched to see the nasty girl tear into the others. Imagine people saying, DALLAS is a great show, but J.R.Ewing is such a bad guy, change it! And, horrors! the entire Carrington saga was changed, shoddily so, with Season 2 unrecognizable almost. Fallon lost her claws, and by Season 3 she's dumped at La Mirage with that tennis instructor/Tom Selleck-wannabe courting her. Boring. What a waste. And Alexis. What did the people see in Alexis? That old witch? And she was a style icon of her time. While both she and Krystle are dressed up so extravagantly they look overblown and downright silly. The only good thing about Season 2 is, of course, Heather Locklear, who is a long way off from being Amanda Woodward in MELROSE PLACE, a show that at least understood the allure of the vixen, and didn't try to hide them to please viewers who were just ashamed to admit how they enjoyed that tigress. But after Fallon takes a nose-dive, there is Sammy Jo Carrington who brings life into what is otherwise quite dull.

Okay, I'm currently watching Season 3 towards the last quarter, so there could still be surprises, but those first episodes were the best.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When it was good, it was very good--and when it was bad, it was painful
Jim Longo28 December 2010
Dynasty was in its heyday when I was in high school, so it was inevitable that we'd grow up together. Originally conceived to take on the CBS juggernaut Dallas, the show originally focused on the ultra-rich Carringtons, the middle-class Blaisdels, and the link between them, secretary-turned-socialite Krystle. After half a season, however (it was a mid-season replacement), the creative team decided to take the show in a different direction. They also brought in Joan Collins as Alexis Carrington. Originally intended only to appear in a few episodes, Alexis became such a hit with the viewers that the character quickly became central to the action.

The show, early in its run, was at its best when it nodded to classic Hollywood. The Steven-Claudia storyline, for example, was Dynasty's riff on the film Tea and Sympathy, and the sheer opulence of the show (and some of Claudia's crazier moments) were straight out of Sunset Boulevard. The writing was sharp, incisive, and not afraid to be funny. A brief implosion late in the second season got rid of half the cast, but one role (Steven) was recast, and another (Sammy Jo) would return sporadically for a couple of seasons before finally returning full-time. By the time the show had four seasons under its belt, it was a solid top ten hit that actually showed a lot of quality as the writers tackled then-borderline taboo topics such as abortion and homosexuality.

Then it started to go wrong.

The first blow was the departure of Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon, and the subsequent miscasting of Emma Samms in the role. Worse, the writing took a significant turn for the worse, and Samms had the double handicap of trying to compete against the memory of Martin and having distinctly inferior scripts to work with. Next, whereas previous cliffhangers had involved danger to one or two characters apiece, starting with the infamous fifth season cliffhanger, the producers decided that the majority of the cast had to be endangered in every cliffhanger - the Moldavian massacre, the fire at La Mirage, the siege of the Carrington mansion - which strained credulity to the breaking point. Once-promising characters, like Dominique and Leslie, were marginalized to the point of invisibility and eventually jettisoned with little fanfare.

Worst of all, the writers began to ape ratings bonanzas from previous seasons without seeming to understand why they worked in the first place. Krystle and Alexis' first catfight, for example, came at the end of slowly-increasing tension between the two over the course of the second season. Towards the end of Dynasty's run, the catfights had become almost ubiquitous, as if the writers felt that they weren't doing their job if they didn't include one every season, regardless of whether the scenes made sense from a storytelling standpoint.

The show enjoyed a brief renaissance in its final season, largely due to the addition of Stephanie Beacham to the cast, but with Linda Evans leaving the show in the middle of the season, it was more or less doomed at that point - the triumvirate of Blake-Krystle-Alexis, once broken, could not be repaired or replaced.

All in all, though, Dynasty was a pleasant way to spend an hour every Wednesday (later Thursday), and I'm glad I got to know the Carringtons.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take Dallas, add two heaping cups of camp and take away the ten gallon hats...
calvinnme19 August 2017
.. and you have Dynasty! If you want to see a show that is very much about the excesses of the 80s, look no further. The show begins with wealthy but older Blake Carrington (John Forsythe) marrying his younger secretary Krystle (Linda Evans). The love in this marriage (initially) goes in one direction, but Krystle is not marrying for money. Instead she is trying to forget her married lover who is permanently tied to the mentally troubled Claudia.

Blake's grown daughter Fallon is a promiscuous schemer. Blake's grown son Steven is sincere and gay. Remember, this is 1981 when this all starts, and twelve years later "Don't ask don't tell" is still considered controversial. The first season is rather a blah Dallas clone. But then at the end of the first season Blake kills Steven's lover - accidentally - and goes on trial for murder. Krystle discovers she is pregnant. And most of all "mama" shows up - Blake's long lost first wife, Alexis,who he divorced years ago - as a witness for the prosecution. This is no other than Joan Collins, and 25 years after her films at Fox she still can't sing, can't act, and can't dance, but wow can she can do evil camp with the best of them. She spends the next eight years being a thorn in Blake and Krystle's side, and this is the main conflict that dominates the rest of the series. Unlike Dallas, siblings Fallon and Steven get along just great and are mutually supportive - no feuding there.

There are mysterious disappearances, mysterious reappearances, weird alliances and odd affairs, many of which are one way romances, and of course the occasional hair-pulling cat fight between Krystle and Alexis is always rewarding, but eventually Dynasty works its way into a corner with just too many characters. How do they get out of this and hold on a few more years? For Dallas it was to say that life was but a dream, but for Dynasty it took a massacre! I'll let you watch and see the rest. I have always wondered how formerly dignified actor John Forsythe could keep a straight face and utter some of those corny lines he was given such as "You killed my child!", but it's all part of the fun. And probably nobody would remember Joan Collins fondly today if not for this role that fit her like a glove. Instead she would be remembered as the actress whose box set of awful 20th Century Fox films from the 50s on DVD pretty much killed off classic film on DVD for all time.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dynasty 80s Revisted!
gregoryshnly19 January 2007
"Dynasty" started off as a drama series about the rich Carringtons,headed by Blake,(John Forsythe)gay son Steven(Al Corley),wayward daughter Fallon(Pamela Sue Martin)and new wife innocent Krystle(Linda Evans) The poor family were Matthew Blazidel(Bo Hoskins)Claudia(one of my favourite characters played by Pamela Bellwood)just out of a mental ward and daughter Lynsey(Katy Kurtzman) After thirteen episodes,the ratings were poor,the arrival of Joan Collins as super-bitch Alexis,bitter ex wife of Blake sent the ratings through the roof as did the cat fight between Alexis and Krystle. Claudia was the only Blazidel to return in the 2nd season but several seasons later,Matthew made a dramatic return when he tries to kidnap Krystle,Steven(Jack Coleman by this time)saves them all by stabbing Matthew. The show continued to get glossier and glossier,Pamela Sue Martin was a big loss to the series,when she left after season 4 as was Al Corley,who left after season 2,unhappy at gay Steven suddenly and unconvincingly getting a glamorous young wife.,Sammy -Jo(Heather Locklear) The storyline that haunted Dynasty was the Moldivan Massacre when the entire cast were shot at Amanda's(Catherine Oxenberg)wedding to Prince Michael (Michael Praed)with only Steven's lover Luke(Bill Campbell)and Lady Ashley Mitchell(Ali McGraw)perishing. Although this cliffhanger caused the show to get to no1,the follow up episodes were disappointing and it was the start of the end of Dynasty,the double of Krystle storyline was just plain mad really! I did like the show though with special credit to Joan Collins for turning it around,Dianne Carroll as Dominique was also a great character,Stephanie Beacham adding a new nemesis for Alexis as Sable when Linda Evans left in the last season. I look forward to seeing the rest of this great show on DVD soon.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Tribute to the 80's
HL-UK26 October 2004
I loved this show and I think I will love it forever. It was beauty and luxury at its best. People may criticise it on the grounds that the situations were unbelievable and acting was stiff, I think that was the only way the show could work and become what it undeniably became: unique. Dynasty was a shrine to the excesses of the 80's. Probably nobody was too natural back then, so the cast should be given credit for adopting a pace that suited the show and that was key to its success. Ratings might have sunk, but that is always bound to happen. However, almost 20 years later and the show always gives plenty to talk about, is synonym of luxury (even for people who did not follow the show or weren't even born then). That must be worth something. I am sure anyone you ask is likely to know who Alexis Carrington is. I truly wish these days there would be shows were you could see beautiful women (of all ages - even if they had tons of make-up ans stuff) an immaculate scenery and splendid props. Dynasty - in ts kind - was perfection and the best A Spelling has produced in my opinion. Pamela Sue Martin, Pamela Bellwood and Katherine leaving the cast was a big blow I think, but - personally - did not stop remaining hooked. Only no no was the UFO (let's ignore that).
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let The Bitchfest Begin!
domino100314 October 2003
I have to admit, I wasn't totally impressed with "Dynasty" when it first aired. And, for a moment, I was going to give up on it.

Until Alexis arrived.

Alexis Morell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan caught my attention the moment that she appeared in the courtroom. She was the kind of person that really caught your attention, whether you want to or not. Joan Collins, the moment she showed up, stole the show.

Don't get me wrong. All of the other characters were just as good, but when Alexis showed up, look out! Blake, Krystal, Fallon, Jeff, Adam, Steven...I loved them all.

The series itself began to get good for me and I watched every single episode, enjoying the bitch fest and the plots. I REALLY LOVED THE CLIFFHANGERS!!! (My favorite is when Alexis is in jail for murdering Mark Jennings, Krystal's ex-husband).

The fun times died when 2 things happened: The Moldavia massacre and the spin-off, "The Colbys" (Which was a TOTAL piece of crap!). After that, things went downhill from there. Story lines turned out crappy (Krystal being kidnapped and replaced by a double was just BAD). In the end, the show simply died. The sorry excuse of a reunion movie didn't help bring the magic back, either.

When I think about the series right now, I like to think about the times when the series was the cool thing to watch. If you've never watched the series, give it a go.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Just For Female Viewers, Some Guys Can Like Dynasty
StuOz24 July 2017
A rich American family, the Carringtons, fight for power and oil.

I don't usually review soap operas, but I always review campy TV dramas and Dynasty is about as campy as they get.

Each season ended with an over-the-top cliff-hanger ending which twice involved a building burning to the ground (with people inside) and once or twice involved people being shot. I loved it.

As a male, I never cared about, or hardly even noticed, the constant change of clothing given to the female leads...others found this so interesting...but not me...to me, Dynasty was all about the wonderfully acted out Carrington dramatics and amusing snotty comments given out by Joan Collins (Alexis).

The series probably should have ended two seasons sooner than it did as the last two years (seasons eight and nine) were missing some of the punch of previous years and Joan Collins sometimes even went missing in season nine to save budget costs.

Dynasty without Joan Collins is less pleasing (she is missing all together in season one) so seasons two to seven (six seasons all together) are when the show shined most brightly.

A much less talked about element to the series is the grand music scores that played over some of the early seasons, for example in the plot line when Blake Carrington (played well by John Forsythe) was blinded.

To me at least, music is vital to all kinds of TV drama and this is one of the very few 1980s TV shows that still cared about quality music composers (by about 1977 the quality of TV music went down hill).

So that is Dynasty, to be enjoyed by females AND males, for six seasons it set the world on fire, and it still holds up when watched today on DVD. Enjoy!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glamour, Glitz and High Drama..Commemorating "Dynasty" on it's 35th anniversary
rcj53651 April 2016
The television series "Dynasty" originally premiered as a mid-season replacement for ABC's Monday Night Football as the "three hour special event" that aired on prime-time on January 12,1981. "Dynasty" was the brainchild of creators Richard Alan Shapiro and Esther Shapiro and was under the production of Douglas S. Cramer and powerhouse television producer Aaron Spelling(who also served as executive producer)became one of the biggest prime time hits of the 1980's that ran for nine impressive seasons producing 220 episodes in color running from January 12, 1981 until the final episode on May 11,1989. The series actually premiered on the Monday night prime time slot as the seasonal replacement for ABC's Monday Night Football for all of Season 1 producing 15 episodes airing between January 12,1981 until April 20,1981. In the series' second season the show moved from Monday nights to Wednesday nights in prime time for Seasons 2 thru 8 running from November 4,1981 until March 30,1988. Then for it's ninth and final season, "Dynasty" moved from Wednesday nights to Thursday nights in prime-time from November 3,1988 until the final episode of May 11,1989.

"Dynasty" was a colossal prime time hit that was nominated for an impressive 24 Prime-Time Emmys winning the Prime-Time Emmy in 1984. It was nominated for 5 Golden Globes every year from 1981 to 1986 winning three Golden Globes respectfully in 1982,1983 and 1984. By the show's second season saw the ratings enter the top 20 of the Nielsens which by the fall of 1982 was one of the top-ten highest rated shows on television,and by the Spring of 1985,"Dynasty" was the Number One Show on television with it's competition "Dallas" becoming Number Two. Interesting to note that actor John Forsythe(of "Bachelor Father", "From Rome With Love",and "The World of Survival")was the only cast member to appear in all 220 episodes throughout it's entire nine season run. Actress Linda Evans(of "The Big Valley" fame)appeared in 206 out of the 220 episodes leaving the series after appearing in only six episodes of the ninth and final season. Actress Joan Collins appeared in 197 episodes of the series in Seasons 2 thru 9. Joan Collins made her debut as Alexis Carrington in the Season 2 opener "Enter Alexis" airing on November 4,1981. The phenomenal success of "Dynasty" spun the spin-off series "The Colbys" that ran for two seasons and 49 color episodes airing from November 11,1985 until March 26,1987. Actors Charlton Heston,Barbara Stanwyck,Katherine Ross,Stephanie Beacham,and Ricardo Montalban were regular cast members of "The Colbys" but also made guest star appearances in various episodes of "Dynasty".

The notable cast members and special guest stars that made "Dynasty" the top-rated series(prime-time soap opera for ABC)were some of Hollywood legends like Rock Hudson, Lloyd Bochner, and others like Pamela Sue Martin, Heather Locklear, Ted McGinley, Michael Nader, Paul Burke, Emma Samms, Billy Dee Williams, Diahann Carroll, Al Corley, John James, Gordon Thompson, Dale Robertson, Bo Hopkins, James Farentino, Kathleen Beller, Pamela Bellwood, Ali MacGraw, George Hamilton, John Saxon, Richard Anderson, Ken Howard, Brian Dennehy, David Hedison, Bradford Dillman, Troy Beyer, Richard Lawson, Anthony Zerbe, Hari Rhodes,and many more. Even former President of the United States Gerald Ford,and the former first lady Betty Ford appeared in one episode,as well as the former National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger portraying themselves in a special episode titled "Carousel"(Season 4,Episode 11)that aired in prime time on December 21,1983.

When the show moved from Wednesday nights to Thursday nights in the fall of 1988 the ratings for the show were dropping. In the last ditch effect to save the show the final episode of the series which aired on May 11,1989 ended with the credits reading as "To Be Continued...." left audiences in a cliffhanger that was never solved. The series that eventually replaced "Dynasty" after nine seasons and 220 episodes was the ABC News magazine series "Prime Time Live!" that premiered a summer replacement on August 3,1989 with Diane Sawyer and Ted Koppel(of "Nightline"). ABC aired a four hour miniseries titled "Dynasty:The Reunion" that aired in two hour slots in prime time with Part One airing October 20,1991,and Part Two airing October 22,1991 that picks up where the series ending cliffhanger left off featuring the original cast. "Dynasty" as a series during the 1980's spawned a fashion trend of luxury products not to mention a look at the "gay" lifestyle that was not even mentioned and was daring for 1980's Prime Time TV with it's groundbreaking story lines and memorable catfight scenes that will go down in television history. "Dynasty" actually paved the way for future prime time soap operas to follow. Happy 35th Anniversary!!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emulated Dallas...And Did A Good Job
Big Movie Fan13 December 2002
Don't you just love those American soap operas that revolve around rich families and their lives? I do.

Dynasty emulated Dallas and did a good job. It featured John Forsythe (the voice of Charlie in Charlie's Angels) as Blake Carrington, the head of the Carrington dynasty. Blake had a few kids, a beautiful wife and an ex-wife Alexis played by Joan Collins. Being a rich capitalist, he also had several business enemies.

There were some great stories and this show was as good as Dallas, maybe even a bit better at times. There were some fantastic fights at times, especially between the women. Part of me hates seeing women fight each other but this show made it entertaining.

Whilst it wasn't as wacky as Dallas, Dynasty was relatively wacky at times and stretched credibility a bit too far. It was an expensive show to make and it showed. Also, just like Dallas, a fair few celebrities showed up at times. The final episode could be considered fantasy but it was entertaining all the same.

The TV world is a poorer place without Dynasty (what a sad person I must be).
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best-Ever Nighttime Soap
tmolthan29 April 2002
The best nighttime "soap" ever. It is hard to compare this to "Dallas," which seems like a poor cousin in comparison, at least to me. But as many have already noted, the show's glory days were numbered. I think one of the turning points came when Pamela Sue Martin, who was great as Fallon, was replaced by the jowly Emma Samms, who was absolutely terrible as she tried to hide a British accent. This was also around the time when the whole "Colbys" storyline was introduced in preparation for the spinoff, and we all know that it deserved its tragic fate. The first four seasons or so were great fun to watch; do yourself a favor and avoid the later episodes.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show gone bad but I still loved it
fmcnulty200328 March 2005
I had a very co-dependent relationship with Dynasty. I was an avid Dallas fan until a friend told me Joan and Linda were going to duke it out in the studio - so I agreed to watch it and I instantly fell in love with it - rabidly following the second season, could not wait till each Wednesday night, then THINGS started to happen. The third season started off admirably - Claudia was locked up again, Fallon's baby was found safe and sound - then Fallon decided Krystle wasn't that bad after all - the two then formed an alliance against Sammy-Jo. After so many years, it was wonderful when Sammy Jo and Fallon finally became friends, but I wish Pamela Sue Martin was still playing the role. Emma Samms was wonderful, nothing against her, but couldn't she have played, let's say, Amanda, while Pamela stayed. Oh, the things we think of, after the fact. The co-dependency comes into the picture when, week after week, I kept checking my watch and wanting to yell, "oh, come on", and wanting to stop watching (this is post-Moldavia), but I couldn't. I couldn't leave this in the state it was in. I needed it. It needed me. I was so relieved when it finally left me, though. I didn't want to be the bad guy in this relationship but I soon found love again and I had 11 very beautiful years with NYPD BLUE.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the first Aaron Spelling's "soap operas"
Knight Of The Cross28 September 1999
It was the second tv-show that I watched in my life, the first was "Santa Barbara". Of course, "Dynasty" much better than "Santa Barbara". Here's cross different genres romance, drama, thriller and some detective in final episodes. In "Dynasty" first appeared my favourite actress Emma Samms. I think it's the best Aaron Spelling's project.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dramatic show bathed in fame and fortune!
OllieSuave-00710 February 2017
So as a little kid, I've managed to watch bits and pieces of this show. Though I didn't understand the story-line completely, it was fairly entertaining for me seeing all the drama, disputes and characters as the show centers on the trials and tribulations of the two feuding families of the Carringtons and the Colbys.

It was interesting seeing the wealth and fortune of the families, and I've especially remembered the character of the spellbinding, vain, trouble-making, villainous Alexis Carrington Colby, played by Joan Collins. Not a bad show, overall.

Grade B
Dynasty was awesome
Justin Samuels15 January 2017
I loved Dynasty. I watched the show as a kid. Looking back on it, Dynasty was a great reflection on the Reagan/Thatcher years. In that era poverty had become almost taboo, so TV shows that focused on working class people or rural people disappeared in favor of shows about fabulously wealthy people. Dynasty was a part of that trend. Joan Collins was outrageously fantastic as Alexis. She made the show, and she gave life to Crystal's character as Crystal seemed like a quiet, low self esteem woman who couldn't stand up to Blake's daughter and SERVANTS of all people, until her fights with Alexis helped make her more outspoken.
Dynasty: Lots of Fun From 80s Nostalgia
Withrow682 July 2013
Dynasty began as a serious drama that morphed into camp in order to survive. However, despite some early mistakes, the show was never better than season 1. The story opens with a middle aged oil tycoon, Blake Carrington, about to marry his secretary who is about 2 dozen years younger. Blake is giving love another chance after, as we later learn, having been habitually betrayed by his 1st wife years earlier. Blake has had things his way for the past 15 years since he got rid of his 1st wife, but from this point on, he will lose that control. He will have to deal with problems with a spoiled and promiscuous daughter, sort of an 80s version of Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton. He also struggles with learning of his son's homosexuality (we soon learn it's actually his son's bi-sexuality). He will also have to deal with a constantly brooding and unhappy new wife who just can't understand why her husband does not have empathy for her continuing love for her married ex. The writers seem to expect the viewers to empathize with Matthew with and Krystle and their "special love" even though both are married, but this falls flat with viewers. So, Matthew Blaisdel is gone after season 1. Over the years, the show becomes more like a 3 ring circus with Blake seemingly always battling back from bankruptcy and trying to get his wife to reconcile with him and come back to his bedroom after their latest "problems". The payoff from such a reconciliation could only work once, but the writers seemed to think of it as their can't miss "go to". All the while, Blake's habitually unfaithful ex wife and mother of 4 of his 5 kids seems to think of having Blake back as her right, and when she can't have him, becomes Angelique to Blake's Barnibus with a she loves him so much that she hates him vendetta. It's fun, but it's to be taken less seriously with each passing season.
Staple in the 1980s!
ShelbyTMItchell13 March 2013
The show started out to being Blake ruthless until his actor, the late John Forsythe wanted to make him sympathetic as you have to feel bad for his character.

But the ratings went sky high when the woman you loved to hate Alexis played deliciously by Joan Collins came on as a rival for Blake and for his new wife, Krystal(Linda Evans).

As it shows wealth and power. Along with family like the openly gay Steve, one of the first at the time for someone being gay in the 1980s, son you loved to hate Adam but just misunderstood, spoiled brat Fallon who ended up with amnesia and changed from Pamela Sue Martin to Emma Samms.

Show showed glitz and glamor. And in a sense was like Dallas to begin with. But really the show stood on it's own. It was the ABC's answer to Dallas in CO.