Somewhere in Time (1980) Poster

One of the most achingly beautiful movies ever
kanerazor3 December 2002
Somewhere in Time is a movie any sensitive person with a heart will love, I guarantee you. From the opening at the theater to the unbelievably moving final scene, I have never seen a film so passionately and yet so innocently depict the power of absolute, all-encompassing, unconditional love.

The story is so simple, yet therein lies the beauty. Richard Collier, a man with no love in what otherwise seems like a nice enough life, becomes enchanted at the sight of Elise McKenna's painting and with only the power of his heart travels back to her time. Once there, he looks for Elise, and finds her. Elise is confused and does not immediately respond because of her manager W.F. Robinson, but she quickly returns Richard's love. I will not say anymore, other than that the ending made me feel so warm and yet made me want to cry. You will be hard pressed to find a movie lighter on plot, and there are many questions left unanswered, but that's perfect because Somewhere in Time is very surreal, and dreamlike even. The emphasis is not on watching events, but on simply feeling love, and this is as close as anyone has ever come to making a movie out of pure emotion.

Jane Seymour looks radiant while on screen but this is Christopher Reeve's movie. Reeve, after amazing everyone with his talent, good looks, and charisma in one of the biggest blockbusters ever, could have become one of Hollywood's all-time great leading men. Instead, a series of horrible decisions about what roles to take and not take made it so that he had to do TV movies to pay the bills by the late 1980s. To this day, to 99% of the public he is the paralyzed Superman and nothing more. But this is the one movie that shows what should have been. He very convincingly depicts Richard first as goofy kid, then as empty older man, then as someone simply awestruck by love and determined to let nothing stop him from getting the breathtaking Elise. Then, in the final scenes, he portrays his anguish so remarkably it is wrenching to watch.

Also deserving of special mention is Christopher Plummer, who seems to be an extraordinary actor on the basis of the two films I've seen him in (the other is The Insider). A lesser actor would have made Robinson into a mustache-twirling villain, and brought the whole production down to the level of a soap opera. Plummer, however, with his nuanced performance, makes us hate Robinson, but also makes us his feel his pain. Through his subtle mannerisms, we see that Robinson himself deeply longs for Elise's love, but has probably never been loved and never will be loved by anybody. We thus realize how incredibly lucky Richard is. I personally saw Robinson as perhaps someone whose father never loved him and whose mother died when he was very young, and he has spent his whole life wanting to truly take care of someone like Elise but it is as if he has been rendered incapable. He is still contemptible for the things he does to Richard, but he is also a tragic figure, and the script has nothing to do with that-it's all Christopher Plummer.

John Barry's score is also among the most enchanting in movie history, in my opinion. I have never heard a score which so wonderfully conjured up feelings of timeless love. Jeannot Szwarc may not be a well known or otherwise accomplished director, but he does this one perfectly. This movie in the wrong hands could so easily come across as corny and trite, but instead it is such an absorbing masterpiece. Every element in this movie is just perfect, and it should be universally considered one of the greatest love stories of all time (if not the greatest, like I think it is).

As it is most people have never heard of it, but it is nice to know that a small devoted following gives it the recognition it deserves. I hope it continues to win people's hearts for generations to come.
82 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touching Time-Travel Tale
ccthemovieman-126 November 2005
Being one who always seems to enjoy time-travel stories, it's no wonder I like this movie so much, but it isn't the interesting "time" angle that draws me in: it's also the fact that this is one of the most touching love stories I've ever seen. I'm not usually a big fan of romance stories, but this one has always moved me, maybe because, as another reviewer points out, it's from the man's point of view.

The film is a wonderful old-fashioned type of story with a really nice feel for the period (1912) and is simply a pleasant, leisurely-paced story I found comfortable. Would kids of today like this? No. Too slow for them. Too bad, because I found the movie moved pretty well. The 100 minutes went by quickly.

Christopher Reeve is the star of the film but personally I found Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer far more entertaining. The theme song, "Somewhere In Time," is one of the prettiest songs ever and that adds to the sad and frustrating romance angle of the story. The language also is quite tame. Yes, it's a bit "sappy" at times, but for sentimental people, this is a nice film to keep.

My only real complaint is I've never seen a sharp transfer put on a DVD yet. There have been two DVDs out and both have that grainy look to them. That's disappointing because this would really look nice with a clear picture. The film deserves better treatment.

NOTE: A Blu-Ray of this film was released in March of 2014 and finally does this great film justice!
91 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic!!
dalancofer13 October 2005
In 1984, this movie got a second life on cable after its initial release to theaters and subsequent bombing at the box office in 1980. We should all be thankful for cable! This is a classic film in every respect...well directed and acted.... but would it have had the same impact without John Berry's absolutely beautiful score? At any rate, it is a classic film and enjoys an enormous cult following as well as an annual gathering at the Hotel where many of the actors have come to participate. "God bless you Chris Reeves, rest in peace"
35 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Only for the imaginative and the warm hearted
ADOZER20015 August 2003
One day i was going through my friend's movies and i was picking some of the really good ones to watch. His wife grabbed somewhere in time and told me that it was good. I was very unsure about the movie but i watched it anyways. By the end of the movie i was in awe. The acting is excellent. The story was creative. The dialogue was extravagant. The music was fantastic. The cinematography was terrific. This movie was awesome. Yes it is a romance movie for all you people who hate romance movies but if you have to watchan origina and entertaining love story then i recomend this one. Tust me guys it not your typical love story!
49 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film affirms that love is an undeniable force which goes beyond us...
Nazi_Fighter_David26 December 2003
Christopher Reeve takes on the role of (Richard Collier) a successful Chicago playwright who is approached (in May 1972) by a very old woman (Susan French) who will alter the course of his life eternally...

The thoughtful old lady presses a classic pocket watch, from a past existence, into his right hand and intensely whispers four haunting words 'Come back to me,' which will affect him forever...

Eight years have passed and Richard is seeing his work incredibly sterile, gently afflicted with a case of lesser inspiration... So he packs his luggage and heads out to an island of enchanting beauty, to the Grand Hotel on the Straits of Mackinac waterfront...

While waiting for the huge dining hall to open, he tours the grand old building's museum, and sees a portrait of a lovely woman... He becomes obsessed about finding the truth behind the old photograph and begins questioning the people that knew her past... What emerges is a wonderful woman who is the first American stage actress in 1912 to create a mystique in the public's eye... She is the same lady who visited him that night at the premier of one of his plays...

Richard finds himself intrigued... There is so much to hear... People who knew Elise McKenna when she was young said that she was quick and bright and full of fun... Strong, willful, not at all the way she was later...

Seeking help from an old philosophy teacher who had written a book about 'Travels through time,' Richard attempts to disassociate himself entirely from the present, move everything out of sight that could possibly remind him of it, hypnotize his mind, and transport himself backward into the past, into June 27, 1912, into the life of the stunningly beautiful and talented Elise McKenna (Jane Seymour).

Nominated for Best Costume Design, the motion picture is a romantic fantasy that avoids any use of machinery in action... The time travel theory is completely non-scientific... The film captures the idea of a fine young man moving back among other time periods, and affirms that love is an undeniable force which goes beyond us, a force with no limit to the spiritual power, with no end to the potential of spiritual expansion...
104 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantasy Classic
Tommy-530 June 2002
Somewhere In Time is not only a fantasy story. It is romance, science fiction, and fantasy rolled into one, based on Richard Matheson's novel, Bid Time Return, (Matheson also wrote the screenplay and has a cameo appearance in the film). Shot in 1980 and released by Universal Studios, it is a wonderful and, I feel, classic film that has stood the test of time. I am often surprised at how many persons of adult age have seen it. I cannot understand why Somewhere In Time has been panned by the critics since its release. Filmed on location in Chicago and Mackinac Island, Michigan, Somewhere In Time is a little long at 104 minutes. However, the story never drags so this is not a big liability. Directed by Jean Szarc, the cast is first rate, starring Christopher Reeve, (what a standard of personal courage he has set for us in recent years!) as the playwright Richard Collier, Jane Seymour, one of the loveliest ladies to ever grace either the large or small screens, as the actress Elise McKenna, and the fine character actor Christopher Plummer as the mean-spirited W.S. Robinson, McKenna's agent. The story begins in May, 1972. Playwright Collier is visited by a very old woman at a party he is attending at Millfield College, close to the Grand Island Hotel on Mackinac Island, which will be so important to the story later. She approaches and hands him a pocket watch. Cryptically, she says, "Come back to me.' We now fast forward eight years to Chicago, 1980. The restless Collier, who has recently broken up with his lady friend, is drawn to The Grand Hotel. Collier drives up to Mackinac Island and checks into the hotel. The kind-hearted Arthur, who has lived and worked at the hotel for 70 years, asks him if "they had met before." Collier assures him they have not. Collier chances upon an old photo of the turn of the century actress Elise McKenna in the hotel museum and is mesmerized by her. Arthur tells him that she appeared in a play at the hotel in 1912. Collier's obsession quickly grows and he begins research on her life. He comes across a photo of McKenna as an old woman and remembers her as the mysterious lady he met at the party. He discovers from her housekeeper that McKenna died eight years previous, on the very night she made herself known to him, and that something happened during her hotel appearance in 1912. After that, according to the housekeeper, she was never the same. During his visit to McKenna's home, he discovers a book on time travel that Elise read "again and again." After visiting with the book's author and, finding his own name in an old Grand Hotel register from 1912, Collier makes an intense effort to slip into the past, and succeeds. Soon, he meets Elise in the hotel, (he has transported himself to the time when Elise McKenna is staying in the hotel, preparing for her performance), and the scene where he and she meet is quite moving. At this point, the story becomes even better because Reeve does not have to carry it by himself. Seymour and Plummer step in and, what had been a good picture, becomes an excellent one for the duration. Richard and Elise quickly become drawn to each other, much to Robinson's unease. Robinson, who loves her but will not admit it, has a genuine concern when the playwright Richard Collier cannot name any of his work that he is familiar with. There is an unhealthy tension between these two strong-willed men until film's end. There are many interesting segments through this portion of the story. Entering the hotel restaurant, Collier seems to walk forever. The shot of the beautiful Elise, sitting at her makeup table with hair down and thrown over one shoulder, daydreaming of Richard, is enough to take the breath out of any man, (certainly this one!). The kiss first between Richard and Elise is very gentle and tender, and another lump forms in the throat when Elise again unpins her hair as Richard closes the door to room 117. But, perhaps the best scene in the entire film is when Elise, caught up with emotion, seems to ad-lib directly to an equally emotional Richard, sitting in the audience, during the hotel performance. Now is a good time to note that Jane Seymour possesses an interesting combination of hesitation and come-hither in look and demeanor. Ms. Seymour is something you do not come across often: an extremely alluring woman but very much a lady. The wholesome Reeve played off of her extremely well. The furious Robinson loses control of himself and has Richard beaten by thugs, causing him to lose credibility with his star forever. However, fate deals a cruel hand to the star-crossed lovers as, just when they have admitted their love for one another, Richard is abruptly returned to 1980, waking up in the same bed he was originally transported from. I won't give the story's very touching finale away, I will just say that the emotionally devastated Richard spends the final few minutes of the story attempting to return to 1912 and Elise. A few final comments. For fans of romance, fantasy and science fiction, Somewhere In Time will indeed be a special treat. (That the music is hauntingly beautiful only enhances the mood). It was pleasing to see Richard Matheson, author of such hard-edged tales as The Omega Man and The Shrinking Man, (to name but two), and who is seen as an astonished viewer during Elise McKenna's Grand Hotel performance, turn out such a powerful love story. I noticed only one glaring editing mistake, and that is an excellent accomplishment for a period story of this length. Near film's end, the heartbroken Richard lies listless and semi-comatose in a Grand Hotel guest room, pining for Elise, for a full week. When Arthur, (The gentleness of the lifelong hotel servant impressed me. I wish I could meet a few Arthur types at hotels I stay in!), finds him, the fact that he has had little food or water for days and is dangerously close to death is impressed upon us. However, when we see his face, he is clean-shaven and way too bright-eyed for a man under such a self-imposed ordeal! I hope that perhaps someday Christopher Reeve's health is such that he can once again co-star with the ever beautiful Jane Seymour. Mr. Reeve's physical limitations notwithstanding, I believe they would still make a terrific screen team.
52 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Romance "writ" large---
Ishallwearpurple16 February 2003
---"Somewhere In Time" is one of the most romantic films ever. It is also a wonderful period film. Shot at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island, the 1800's hotel and grounds, the background of the Great Lake and lighthouse, just enhances the romantic atmosphere. It sure made me HAVE to visit the island and spend a magical day walking around, having lunch and visiting Jane Seymore's picture in the museum room, just like in the film.

Have any two people ever been filmed so beautifully? The period dresses Jane wears are so lovely.

And has a score, by John Barry, ever been more romantic? Perfectly enhances the romanticism of the story.

Superman Christopher Reeve is all boyish charm and wonder; when he walks towards Jane by the lake and she says "Are you the one?" Well, it takes your breath they are so gorgeous.

Any romantic can't help but have a lump in the throat at the lovely ending - white on white - no beginning and no end - they are together "Somewhere In Time." 9/10
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My all-time favorite movie.
CGMCC3 November 2004
There are those few movies that make you sit back and just be amazed at the artistic excellence you've just seen. Citizen Kane, Casablanca, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, The Godfather, Ben Hur, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy are a few of these. Somewhere In Time is not a blockbuster actioner, but is perhaps the finest fantasy love story ever made.

The cast is perfect. Christopher Reeve is extremely believable. Jane Seymour is gorgeous as the young actress, as is Teresa Wright as her older self. Christopher Plummer is great as Elise McKenna's manager, and Bill Erwin affords himself fine as Arthur. The setting, music, story, and acting are all top notch! We are slowly drawn (and it's just great to take one's time to get involved) into this mysterious romance as the paradox pair of the watch and the time travel gets our hero to "come back to me."

Simply Superb! If you are one of the very few who has not seen this movie, please get it and watch it one time. I've seen it at least 10 times and enjoy it as much each time.
109 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Virtually the Best Movie Ever
KBONE30 July 1999
I am a young man who grew up loving horror, action, and kung-fu movies. I hated the Victorian books we were forced to read in school. However, the one exception to the rule has been this movie. I LOVED this movie. The story line was solid. The direction was superb. And the acting was so good, that I have always wondered why Reeves & Seymour's career didn't catapult after this film. I have watched it many times since it came out, and ever time I am captivated. If you can't relate to this movie, I think you must have a heart of cold stone. This gets a strong KBONE rating of 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Pay special attention to Seymour's soliloquy during the play and Reeve's facial expressions during that time as well Reeve during the last 10 minutes of the movie. I really can't say enough about this masterpiece.
89 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhere In Time Christopher Reeves Is Watching This....
FloatingOpera716 May 2006
Somewhere In Time (1980): Starring Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer, Susan French, Jon Alvin, Edra Gale, Patt Billingsley, Teresa Wright, Bill Erwin George Voskovec, William H. Macy....Director Jeannot Szwarc, Screenplay Richard Matheson, Based On The Novel By Richard Matheson.

"The man of my dreams has almost faded now. The one I have created in my mind. The sort of man each woman dreams of, in the deepest and most secret reaches of her heart. I can almost see him now before me. What would I say to him if he were really here? "Forgive me. I have never known this feeling. I have lived without it all my life. Is it any wonder, then, I failed to recognize you? You, who brought it to me for the first time. Is there any way that I can tell you how my life has changed? Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me? There is so much to say. I cannot find the words. Except for these: I love you".

Released in 1980, director Jeanot Szwarc's film adaptation of Richard Matheson's novel is a breathtaking, emotionally stirring romantic love story with a sci-fi twist: the lovers are from different time periods: he from the 1972 and she from 1912. Initially a failure at the box office (possibly because Christopher Reeves was preferred to be seen as Superman, this film was only one of his films that year, the other being Super Man Part 2 and because it was difficult to adapt the complex, sci-fi romance into a film without sacrificing some logic, plot consistency and other aspects) it soon acquired a huge fan base. Chris Reeves takes off his Superman outfit and dons an Edwardian gentleman's suite in the role of playwright Richard Collier, who becomes obscessed with the enigmatic turn-of-the century actress Elise McKenna, whose haunting portrait is hung on the Grand Hotel's historic room. After the premiere of his 1970's Vietnam play "Too Much Spring", an elderly woman (Susan French) hands him a watch, looks him in the eye like she's known him all her life and says: "Come back to me". This is what he does when he wills himself back to 1912 (the year Titanic sank) to the Grand Hotel where a young Elise (Jane Seymour in a great role) is performing a play. Seymour's portrayal of this character is effortless, channeling the spirit of the actual 19th century actress that inspired the character of Elise Maude Addams. Seymour looks gorgeous in every one of her costumes and acts the part of a woman who rejects a great career in acting for love, quite well. Christopher Plummer (Sound Of Music), older though he is, is terrific as William Fawcett Robinson, Elise's Svengali, imperious and controlling theater manager, determined to make her a big star and has a professional relationship with her but who deep down, loves her but loses to the young newcomer. In this aspect, this film mirrors 1948's "The Red Shoes" but with its time/memories/love theme and similar time period also resembles 1997's "Titanic". Look for William H. Macy in the minor role of a theater critic. I can see how when it was released in 1980, it was considered a bit of a flop. There are plot holes due to the fact a lot of the novel's material was omitted from the film. There is the general confusion with the "time travel" aspect. Collier is a man of the 70's and then travels to 1912, but Elise had been told by her manager that he'd come and take her away, but she is also an old lady in the 70's, magically drawing him to "come back to her" through whatever she read in an old time travel book. Truthfully, the romance happens much too quickly and is over far too quickly. The dialog is nothing Oscar worthy, so contrived and stilted, the characters are not too well-developed but what makes this film so enjoyable is the romantic escapism. The audience is required to suspend disbelief. There is genuine chemistry between Reeves and Seymour. It's refreshing to see Christopher Reeves in a non-Superman performance. Many consider THIS performance as a romantic playwright to be his best role. He himself was very proud of this performance. This is a maudlin, escapist romantic movie, even if short, and the cinematography is exquisite, resembling an Impressionist painting and evoking a romanticized past. The hotel is luxurious and Victorian and the costumes and music are striking. Especially spiritual are such scenes as when Reeves first looks at Elise's portrait in the History Gallery of the Hotel, a portrait cast in natural sunlight. Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody On A Theme of Paganini 18th Variation Andante Cantabile" features prominently and serves as the love theme. All romantics at heart and lovers of a good romance will love this movie. It is still one of those underrated love stories that deserve more recognition. It was Christopher Reeve's favorite film and perhaps he is still watching it in Heaven.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unique
nicholas.rhodes24 January 2001
This is one of those films I can watch again and again even though one knows the final outcome. I recently acquired the collector's edition on DVD and my only regret is that the picture quality is not up to scratch but there again, the film seems to have been shot anyway through a sort of haze to give it a certain atmosphere. I have always loved films that involve time travel ( there are all too few of them ) such as this one, Time after time, philadelphia experiment, Final Countdown etc. This one is unique as that it all takes place in Collier's mind and not due to some fantastic machine due to whip across the space-time continuum. The fact that Collier is brought back to reality due to the sight of

a present-day object is - though frustrating and heart searing for the spectator - a good one and a way of closing the film. For those of you who love this film as myself, I would recommend the DVD collectors edition as there are long interviews with Jeannot Swarc, Christopher Reed et alia. During the interviews, Reed explains that following his terrible accident, he was given a drug which caused his " soul to start leaving his body " and he explains that at the time he immediately thought of this film !! Incredible.
31 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sublime !
jimmy86012 August 2007
A perfect "Mobius strip" of plotting... try explaining what happens, and you find yourself intriguingly embroiled in explaining a plot that encircles itself. Not many people "get" this aspect of the movie, but it's what makes it work. Cinematic perfection! Let it challenge you ... and let it therefore make you think about the multi-level parameters of love, and longing, and yearning, and loss. Mr. Reeve and Miss Seymour are perfect as the star-crossed lovers; they bring to the screen an innocence and a beauty sorely lacing in today's "in your face" sexual manifestos. I can watch this over over and over, and cry each time-- it is that moving 1
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for cynics or unromantics....leave films like this to us who have a heart....
mark.waltz30 November 2013
O.K., so there is a lot to grumble about here as far as reality and some missing plot points, but why gripe about a film that never ceases to leave me without shedding a ton of tears? Some people may complain that the constant repeat of Rachmaninoff's beautiful music is manipulative and overdone, that there is a lack of humor, and that so many things in the film just don't add up. But when you are touched by a film like this, hard-hearted critics don't matter, you forgive the mistakes, and overlook some of the sillier touches. What results is a time-travel drama about never-ending love that grabs you from the moment an old lady (Susan French) approaches aspiring playwright Christopher Reeve, places an old watch in his hand, and whispers, "Come back to me".

Who is this beautiful old woman with the face of an angel still wearing turn of the 20th Century get-up and why is she interested in a total stranger? Well, it takes years for Reeve to discover his own interest in her, and it is all by accident. I thought for years that the beautiful Hotel del Coronado near San Diego was the setting for it, having passed by that landmark back in the early 1980's, but further research proved me wrong, even though the original novel was set there and that they had originally intended to film it there. It is a beautiful resort right on Lake Huron where Reeve ends up, coming face to face with a portrait of the legendary stage actress who suddenly retired after a stage appearance there in 1912, ironically the same year as the Titanic disaster.

Researching her, Reeve discovers she is none other than the gorgeous old woman who approached him years before, now deceased, and realizes that somehow they are connected. A discussion with a time travel expert makes him realize he must travel back to meet her, and somehow he does. She (Jane Seymour) somehow recognizes him, but her jealous producer (Christopher Plummer) is suspicious. Somehow, he knows just who Reeve is, and believes that this will destroy her. Plummer schemes to keep them apart, but time travel, as Reeve was warned, is a dangerous thing, and just as romance begins to bloom, irony strikes leading to tragedy.

There is a gem of casting with Jane Seymour as the young Elise and Susan French as her in her 80's. Ms. French was everywhere in the 1980's: on "Dallas", "Falcon Crest", "Bare Essence", "Little House on the Prairie" and many other T.V. series. It seems to be more than a coincidence that their story is almost similar to that of Kate Winslet and Gloria Stuart's in "Titanic", with a brooch the prop of history rather than Elise's watch.

Reeve, following up "Superman" with this romantic drama, was a sensitive young actor, and he puts his whole heart into this project. Romance is the word here, and the ability to suspend disbelief is a must in order to appreciate every aspect of this sweet story. Bill Erwin is memorable as Arthur, the old bellboy whom Reeve crosses and meets as a young toddler decades before, and veteran actress Teresa Wright good as old Elise's former companion who reveals Elise's past to Reeve when he visits her.

The gorgeous Seymour is a radiant leading lady, filled with both fire and femininity, and here is as far from "Dr. Quinn" as you can get. This film unfortunately flopped badly during its initial run due to a cynical nature of the world in the early 1980's where the rise of block-busters stood in the way of a quiet old-fashioned fantasy romance from becoming a hit. Fortunately, there are many other non-cynics who are able to see with their heart and leave their brain on pause when watching films like this, and thanks to audiences like us, this film has gotten the cult status that it deserves, even though it is far from the typical cult film as you can get.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why didn't THIS GREAT MOVIE win even ONE Oscar?
Tara-Salem13 December 2004
I remember I was 5 years old when I first watched this movie in a video. I remember my mother's tears each time she watched that movie.

I almost learned it by heart even before I knew what it meant. When I grew up, I finally understood it and loved it so strongly. I think every woman in her heart dreams of living this love, this kind of passionate first kiss and this pain of LOVE and separation. This movie makes you cry in the same way Titanic did.

I mean how could it get even more romantic like it did in this movie. Christopher Reeves , Christopher Plummer and Jane Seymour excelled in it.

Somewhere in time is my best romantic movie I have ever watched. I have some questions though : I still don't understand how did Elise know that Reeves came from 1980? And where did the watch come from? The coin that made Reeves return to future remained with him, which means that Elise did not see the coin. So how did she know who he was? How did Robinson (Plummer) know about Reeve's coming to change Elise's life?

The most touching part was the end of the movie where Reeves smiled while he was dying . May his soul rest in peace .
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soulmates...Somewhere in Time
Nick-3378 October 2001
For us hopeless romantics, this kind of love story gives us the feeling that our own soulmate might have lived in another time instead of our own. It is a pleasant little fantasy to get lost in for a couple of hours anyway. For someone who analyzes the small details in movies like myself, the story has many hidden twists and turns to figure out. For example, when you consider that Elise Mckenna was 85 years old when she died in 1972, why was Richard Collier a young man in college? Was he the reincarnation of the Richard she had loved 60 years earlier in 1912? Did Richard's time-traveling professor have some connection to Elise? Why did Elise's manager warn Elise of Richard's coming? If you get too concerned with these details then you miss the overall message of the film...true love never dies and true love is worth dying for.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soul Searching
balkanrec1 August 2005
The story brings sheer joy to the heart. It can be interpreted in so many different ways. So many suggestions are incorporated. Sheer delight as the story allows us all to imagine if time travel were possible, and of course many of us have imagined this story might have happened to all of us too. This film will never age and the pleasure and message this film brings makes it "Real Gem" I never tire of watching "Somewhere In Time" The haunting music of John Barry creates the ideal background to the scenes and the location shots create mind thought and nostalgia.It was a breath of fresh air to become completely engrossed in the storyline and to be perfectly honest I really didn't want the film to end. Hopefully additional unseen scenes might be added to the DVD as I'm sure this would be much appreciated by fans of this film.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Magic
folkpoet8019 March 2004
I don't have to think twice that this would be most serene and charming Love Story ever made. I even liked it more than the Love Story and Titanic itself because it didn't have a hint of commercial cinema in it. A simple movie with the Most Beautiful actress Jane Seymour and Reeve is just unbelievable in his acting. Theme Music is just out of this world and everything about the Movie makes Magic. Whoever took Seymour's photo for the movie has made total magic and anyone would find glued to that Photo just like Reeve does in the movie. This movie will take you back in time!!!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I adore this movie
mlantig20 June 2006
This movie means a lot to me. I was introduced to it by a person I have loved with my soul. It was excellent the first time, Excellent the second and I have watch it so many times. People that have experienced true love can understand this movie. Is about love in life and beyond. In many ways this movie was a strenght in my relationship. However, one day I pulled a Pennie out of my pocket and my story was over. Unlike the actor I did not die but continued despite my agony.

Life is beautiful and we have to accept it with our triumphs and defeats. I have learned.

Back to the movie, I recommend to anyone who truly love to watch this movie. Very good tasteful movie, I will always be a fan for the rest of my life.

Its not only a reminder of what love once was. But is also knowing that love carry ons forever, even if we renew our lives and move on.

Every Rose has its thorns.

Watch the movie, and if you are in love. Make sure you check your pockets and stay away from the pennies.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Call It Corny, Call It Clichéd, Call It Great
timdalton00725 January 2007
Let me begin by explaining why I bought and then saw Somewhere In Time. It's not my usual cup of tea but I figured that between Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer, and a John Barry score I wouldn't be disappointed. And I was right. There is something about this film I can't lay my finger on but whatever it is it makes it great.

Now this film isn't perfect. It has flaws to say the least. Yes this film is corny and does feature most of the usual clichés I expected. Yet there was something different about this film. Somehow those clichés seemed pretty darn original. The premise of the film and even the time travel element might be the reason I don't know. Richard Matheson's adaptation of his novel captures a certain kind of spirit in the story. The dialogue is at times corny but yet it never takes away from the strength of the film.

Both Reeve and Seymour share chemistry together that's for sure. They somehow seem like a natural couple for some reason. Reeve does well as the modern playwright who becomes (for lack of a better word) obsessed with a photograph of Jane Seymour's character. A lesser actor could have underplayed the role and made it not quite believable and a better-known actor could have made you forget about the humanity of the character. Yet, Reeve steps out of the spotlight of Superman to become this character. Seymour plays the role of an up and coming actress just as well. Considering we don't see meet her character except via a photograph for 30 plus minutes of the film, Seymour's character becomes the emotional center of the film and one is led to believe how easily Reeve could have fallen in love with her. She is a joy to watch and her chemistry with reeve sells the relationship. Christopher Plummer adds a nice element creating what one might call a love triangle. He is the physical obstacle that Reeve's character must overcome to be with Seymour. But there is an even bigger obstacle to overcome: time itself. Add on to them a nice supporting cast and the cast seems to be perfect.

Those behind the camera add on to them. The cinematography is excellent I capturing the mood of any given seen. The costumes sell the eras the film is set in, especially those set in 1912. The film's sets (filmed mostly at a real hotel) sell the story also. Then there is the icing on the cake: John Barry's score. Barry creates a simple score that holds perhaps more emotional power in it then any of his other scores (the closest one to it in terms of emotional power would probably be Out Of Africa's). It's a beautiful thing to listen to and touching to say the least.

Despite the clichés and even the corny elements, there is something great about Somewhere In Time. I can't quite explain why I have fallen for this film (having watched three times in two days) but all I know is it is a great film. Yes I said "great". I might be wrong about that, I don't know. But there is something special about Somewhere In Time and that warrants it being called great.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a timeless masterpiece!!
marklogan197719 September 2008
As a 30 male you would expect me to have chosen a completely different film for my favourite? but no this is my favourite film of all time and i ain't afraid to say so! I love the story of how true love can shine through anything including time. This story of time travel and undying love is superbly brought together through great direction, casting and unforgettably the soundtrack! I could and have watched this film many many times and will continue too again and again. all i hope is that they do not!! do a remake as i don't think it would work nowadays and would spoil the brilliant original!!!! I never before would have thought that you could die of a broken heart till i seen this film, i do now and the way she was waiting for him at the end just brilliant
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ONE and ONLY ONE - Somewhere in Time
LewGD26 April 2018
Before I say anything about the SIT let me briefly explain myself. For decades my preferred genre were War, Drama-Crime-Thriller, SF, Real-Life stories, History ... with love thematic more or less present as collateral. Substantial degree of authenticity and likelihood with real life has been my standard for a movie to enter my personal "Hall of Fame".

AFAICS, perfect story and script are keys to the good movie while the rest depends on director, cast, camera, tech-support, budget and other "trivia". First time I saw this movie in 2014 as a 67 year old (definitely straight and already happily divorced) guy on DVD, handed over by a friend with some other movies. Word TIME from title somehow insinuated SF movie and I just inserted DVD without even knowing what would come out of this "box of chocolate".

Christopher Reeve name appeared first and my immediate reaction was - Oh no, not Superman, because I am absolutely not fond of that genre and never were, not even as a kid. Than followed names of Jane Seymour and Christopher Plummer, and they were the decisive go. Other commenters here, some with very well written comments, already said everything about the SIT, far better than I would be able. So the next is mostly for people that are contemplating to watch this movie.

1. FIRST - Buy or get DVD and disconnect from outer world

2. SECOND - First time is just PREPARATION to watch it NEXT time, the best immediately after the first time

3. THIRD - WARNING! - If you are YOUNGER and slightly frivolous, trifling, supercilious, priggish, etc.... watch it rather alone, as it might be risky to watch it with your current love-partner, unless it's deep, sincere and at least in the range of up to 10% of unattainable perfection from the movie, because your partner's "accidental review" of your love-strength with SIT might "complicate" actual relation... in short - get you "fired" (dumped) - irrevocable!

4. Do NOT pay ANY ATTENTION to scientific inconsistencies, logic, flaws or whatever might cross your complicated demands, FOCUS ONLY on the MAGIC of PURE LOVE between two main protagonists and forget the rest. Huh almost forgot ... if you will watch with some others, don't be embarrassed of sudden chokes here and there, and of occasionally blared sight from "unexplainably" watering eyes... just let it go...

Beginning of the movie is nothing special until the first intriguing moment with old lady, the pocket-watch, and her mystic - "Come back to me". Next 20 minutes or so still are not dramatically captivating ... then Richard and his ex-professor talk about Time Traveling which was just ridiculous ... however, don't eject disc yet ... wait next 15 min when the next curtain starts lifting ... we are in the 1912 ... and from here your "sentimental adrenalin" is just preparing to kick in.

At 45th min heavenly scene would finally open ... and there she is, in her Godlike perfect and ultimate beauty - Elise McKenna ... she took my breath in a nanosecond, and from there starts my addiction with gorgeous Elise up to this day, and to eternity (I intently say Elise, NOT real Jane, although supremely beautiful Jane Seymour is exceedingly loving actress)... hence no wonders why Richard became obsessed with her much earlier.

This movie is NOT SF, not even close to that, as its ridiculous time traveling here is just a container in which this SURREALLY PURE Love Story is packed. Some "gently" overbearing commentators say chick-flick ... NO it's NOT ... it's the most beautiful love story filmed ever, and to my criteria even AMAZINGLY well done Titanic remains a bit behind with its sort of conceptual Love-Load copycat taken from SIT.

I think that I can say with absolute certainty that divinest illusion of Elise McKenna portrayed by gorgeous Jane Seymour is 95% of the SIT. I used word "illusion" because woman like Elise is objectively non-existent in real life, searching or longing for such woman would be like searching for the Holy Grail, which is why she is the movie itself. Take Jane Seymour out and movie would never become what it became to millions of worshipers worldwide. Even her replacement with some other actress wouldn't have such tectonic effect as it persistently maintains thanks to her divine image.

In spite of above panegyric, I can expose two SERIOUS cons for this movie -

TOO SHORT - they could have had prolong it with some extra loving moments in addition to the carpet picnic, at least for a half of an hour.

DEVASTATING END - I PRIMORDIALLY HATE its end, as there were countless variations and any would do better than the one. In movies with such ends they should offer alternative ends, at least on DVDs, and leave to us choosing a preferable option.

PS-1 Whoever might contemplate some remake - FORGET IT - NONE would work! - It would only spoil existing and everlasting magic of the ONE and ONLY ONE - Somewhere in Time

PS-2 Addressing God directly - Dear God, after I kick the bucket and if I would go up, please RESERVE one cloned-copy of Elise for me, as Richard already got his...
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No sex,no swearing.Welcome to 1912.A blissful experience.
ianlouisiana3 January 2009
The Late Mr Christopher Reeves charms as the 1970's playwright who manages to wish himself 60 years back in the past to meet a woman whose portrait he has fallen in love with.Like Dana Andrews in "Laura" he has become obsessed by a likeness rather than a real woman,but this does not dampen his ardour.Will he be disappointed when he meets the human being as opposed to the image?This is quite an important issue to me as |I once fell in love with a girl in a drawing by the Victorian artist Frederick Sandys and I spent many an afternoon gazing at it in the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow,East London. Like any elderly man who has lived through his share of screw - ups, the thought of visiting the past although not - heaven forfend - the future - strongly appeals.It is with this all too human predilection for making things better by simply turning one's back on the present that "Somewhere in Time"'s appeal lies. Miss Jane Seymour is demure and beautiful,breathless and innocent as the object of Mr Reeves' desire,the hotel where they meet a masterpiece of Belle Epocque architecture.It is a movie that has the good looks to go with its charm,a devastating combination if one is in the right frame of mind. Unless you are a cynic to whom "romantic" is a dirty word,this movie will be a heart - rending pleasure. If your interest in stories about love conquering the Time Barrier is more than just casual read "Time and Again" by Jack Finney which predates the movie by ten years or so and uses the same plot device. And let your imagination soar.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely old fashioned romance, though not believable
roghache1 July 2006
I admit to being somewhat disappointed in this movie as I'd had great expectations, considering its cast with three of my favorite stars, Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer. The old fashioned love tale is beautiful, but I felt that the context of time travel should have been managed more skillfully.

The story centers around a Chicago playwright, Richard Collier, who is approached on the opening night of his first play by an old lady who begs him "Come back to me", and presses into his hand a classic pocket watch. Several years later he discovers that this lady is Elise McKenna, a famous stage actress from the early 1900's, whose vintage portrait hangs in the Grand Hotel. Through self hypnosis, he manages to travel back in time to that era, where he meets the beautiful Elise and they fall in love, despite the objections of her manager. Also, despite the difficulties of being separated by almost a century in time.

The actors are all wonderful in their roles, the handsome and charming Christopher Reeve playing Richard, with Jane Seymour as Elise, absolutely beautiful, elegant, and radiant in every scene. Christopher Plummer is cast in the part of the overbearing, overprotective, mean spirited, and possessive manager, William Fawcett Robinson. Though Plummer's role isn't intended to be sympathetic, his acting is of course impeccable, and he's such a favorite of mine that I can never quite picture him as the villain of the piece. Personally...don't get angry with me...but I kind of wished he'd ended up settling down himself with this lovely actress for which he obviously has unrequited feelings.

My main problem lies with the time travel. This is definitely NOT a science fiction movie. While I wouldn't have expected technical scientific methods in a romance movie, surely the screenwriters could have come up with something a bit more believable than this silly self hypnosis. Though I'm quite a romantic myself, this really made the whole plot seem a little foolish. Also, there are just so many loose ends in connecting the 1912 Elise and the late 20th Century Richard. By the end, I wondered whether I had missed something along the way, so was a bit relieved to discover that a few others had the same problem. With such sloppy screen writing, I felt the producers were relying a little too much on the famous name stars and the dramatic High Romance of it all.

It's all pure dreamy romance, fantasy, and fairy tale throughout. Wonderful cinematography, beautiful scenes of Michigan's Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel, and lavish Oscar nominated turn of the century period costumes. If you can just suspend all critical thought processes, you can enjoy this movie as a haunting fairy tale, an escapist romantic fantasy.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Classic (The much needed Good Alternate Ending!)
parhat13 January 2008
It's about time travel, to the past, my favorite subject. Where an old lady gave him a watch and ask him to come back. Most of the movies is well done except for the sad ending, which is why this movie bombed at the box office. Since Chris Reeve has sadly died, already the movie is revived again and since his death was seen as sad, the movie has a same them, which people should be able to view this movie better in light of what happened. The story evolves around Chris Reeve a playwright just finishing college at Mayfield with bright prospects of his future in writing plays in a graduating party has met an old lady to ask him to come back and gave him a pocket watch. Eight years later, he has a writers block, is separated from his girlfriend, decided to go out some place and accidentally rode pass by Grand Hotel and decides to stay. He is met with an old bellboy who knows the past, and he sees a mysterious woman in the Hall of History. What got him interested was that she too was involved in the play. The time travel idea began when Chris Reeve decided to see this old lady and found out she was dead the night of his meeting with the old lady, and her favorite book "Travels Through Time" gave him an upshot to contact the writer of the book, which was his old professor at Mayfield College. From then on, the fun begins when he travels to 1912 to meet the girl of his dreams.

*********** Now for the spoilers - ALTERNATE ENDING: The story could have been a lot better to get the required good ending because I don't like sad ending. Therefore, the alternate ending, during the opening scenes, where the old lady gave Chris Reeve the pocket watch, she should have said "Grand Hotel, A copper penny don't take it out of your pocket, I will get it for you and you look at it!" Now when the near ending comes, Chris Reeve remembers what the old lady said, and he ask the same girl in the past that's something is in his pocket, so she decided to get it for him. The penny was handled by her, she see's it's a copper penny dated 1972, shocked at seeing it she RETURNS to the future with Chris Reeve to save his life later to return to the past after resolving things that happened with him and her in this future, both Chris Reeve and his girlfriend are now living in the same house, both well known actress and playwright together living in 1980. This is the best I can come up with, but it can be improved. Hence, I prefer to remember the ending this way, even if it's an imperfect one, or nightmare with me stays with the sad ending.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When Everything Seemed Possible
JamesHitchcock10 February 2009
Although "Somewhere in Time" is a film with a time travel theme it has (unlike, say, "The Time Machine") no overt science-fiction elements. It has, in fact, more in common with the supernatural romance films such as "A Portrait of Jennie" or "Pandora and the Flying Dutchman" which were popular in the forties and fifties. Another time-travel romance with which it has something in common is the British "Quest for Love" from 1973, although that film does have some science-fiction content and its hero travels not back into the past but rather to an alternate present in which (among other differences) the Second World War never took place.

The opening scenes take place 1972. Richard Collier, a young playwright, is approached by an elderly woman who places a pocket watch in his hand and pleads with him to "come back" to her. Eight years later Richard, suffering from writer's block, decides to take a break at an elegant turn-of-the century hotel (actually the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan). During his stay he becomes captivated with a photograph of a beautiful young woman, whom he discovers is Elise McKenna, a famous early 20th-century stage actress. He also learns that she was the woman who gave him the pocket watch eight years earlier, but that she subsequently died later that same evening.

Richard becomes obsessed with the idea of travelling back into the past to meet Elise as a young woman, and learns about auto-suggestive time travel from his old college professor. Through self-hypnosis, he travels back in time to the year 1912, where he does indeed meet Elise, who is staying at the hotel. The two fall in love, but they face an obstacle in the shape of her obsessively protective manager William Fawcett Robinson, who fears that the budding romance will damage Elise's career.

As with a number of time-travel films the plot, especially its dramatic conclusion, will not always bear the rigid application of strict logic. One might come to the conclusion that Richard's trip into the past was merely a self-induced hallucination were it not for the fact that concrete evidence survives to show that he actually did visit the hotel in 1912. His signature, for example, appears in an old hotel register for that year, and he himself was responsible for taking the photograph which came to obsess him 68 years later.

This is the film which proved that Christopher Reeve was more than just a musclebound superhero and that Jane Seymour was more than just a Bond Girl. There are also good contributions from Bill Erwin as Arthur, the elderly, long-serving hotel employee who remembers meeting Elise when he was a boy, and from Christopher Plummer as Robinson. Plummer does not play Robinson, as he could have done, as a straightforward villain; it is clear that he believes in Elise and will do anything to further her career. The relationship between Robinson and Elise is reminiscent of that between Lermontov and Victoria in Powell and Pressburger's "The Red Shoes"; there is a suggestion that, at least subconsciously, he may be in love with her, but on a conscious level his love for Elise the woman has been sublimated into his concern for Elise the artiste.

Director Jeannot Szwarc succeeds in evoking a romantic, dreamlike atmosphere, aided by the visual beauty of the Grand Hotel and its surroundings, by the radiant loveliness of Jane Seymour and by the elegance of the Edwardian costumes. Another important factor in creating this atmosphere is the lush musical score, composed by John Barry, and the use of the eighteenth variation of Rachmaninov's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini". The use of this piece is deliberately anachronistic; although Rachmaninov was already an internationally known composer by 1912, the "Rhapsody" was not written until 1934, so it is hardly surprising that Elise is not familiar with it.

This is a film with a loyal cult following; there is even an International Network of "Somewhere In Time" Enthusiasts. Cults, whether religious or cinematic, can often be incomprehensible to outsiders, and I therefore tend to be suspicious of anything described as a "cult movie", a phrase which can be a euphemism for "pretentious nonsense, likely to prove totally baffling to those who have not been initiated into the mysteries of the cult". There are, however, numerous exceptions, in which case the phrase can be more accurately translated as "excellent film unjustly neglected by the critics", and this is the category into which "Somewhere in Time" falls. Upon its first release in 1980 it was not particularly successful, either critically or at the box office. Its fanciful plot and its lush romanticism were perhaps out of tune with the materialistic early eighties, and this style of film-making must have seemed rather old-fashioned in the age of "Star Wars".

Yet since then appreciation of the film has increased, perhaps because we have once again learned to appreciate unashamed romanticism in the cinema. The date to which Richard travels back, 1912, is significant, as it comes towards the end of the last great romantic era in our history, before the world was irrevocably changed by the mechanised destruction of the First World War. The late Victorian and Edwardian periods (often known as the Progressive Era to Americans) seemed to be an age of optimism, of progress, an age when everything seemed possible. This is a film which captures something of the spirit of those times, a film which celebrates the power of love and its ability to achieve the seemingly impossible. Seen in this light, the implausible nature of the plot need not trouble us. 8/10
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.