- Lupin's car is a 1969 Italian Fiat 500, which animation director Yasuo Ôtsuka had once owned;
- Clarisse's automobile is a French Citroen 2CV, which Hayao Miyazaki notes as being the first car he ever owned;
- the men chasing Clarisse were driving a 1940 British Humber Super Snipe vehicle
- Zenigata's car is a Japanese Nissan Bluebird;
- and Zenigata's men were in a 1943 Canadian GM Military Pattern truck, of which Yasuo Ôtsuka had made a detailed sketch of in his childhood.
- the backbone of the plot (Lupin attempts to rescue a young woman named Clarisse) was taken from the case of "The Countess of Cagliostro" (1924);
- the story "The Justice of Arsène Lupin" mentions an immense cache of counterfeit money used to destabilize economies;
- the tale of "The Damsel with Green Eyes" (1927) features a treasure hidden at the bottom of a lake.