Animal House (1978) Poster

(1978)

Often imitated, never duplicated.
Hermit C-225 May 1999
You'll have to excuse me and some of the other proponents of 'National Lampoon's Animal House' if we seem a little defensive about the movie. That's because it's often not recognized as the superior comedy classic that it is. Instead, too often it is lumped in with the multitude of inferior films that it inspired, which is totally unfair.

Some of the conventional wisdom about 'Animal House' is absolutely right, though. John Belushi does give a bravura performance that is reminiscent of the great comics before him like Chaplin, Keaton (Buster, not Michael), the Marx Brothers, etc., and he does it with a wonderful economy of words. His character of "Bluto" Blutarsky is often emulated and imitated but many times the persons doing so have no idea what it was that made him and his performance so great.

Tim Matheson as "Otter" and his other frat house buddies were also prototypes that were much imitated too, and again often without success. Otter was the quintessential smooth talker, always working an angle on everybody, especially the ladies. When a woman tells him that his lovemaking wasn't that great, he cocks his head, points a finger at himself and mouths the words, "not great?" in mock disbelief. Before Tom Hanks got "Big" he made a career out of playing this character. Also John Vernon set a standard for straight men with his portrayal of the beleaguered Dean Wormer, plagued by his "zoo fraternity."

Not all of the movie's humor aims low, by any means; some of it is quite sophisticated. (Yes, you read it right.) The screenwriters and director John Landis did a great job evoking Kennedy-era America and they found a lot to laugh at. This comedy is an unqualified classic by the simplest definition-- it makes you laugh, long and loud.
123 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
What started it all- and still the best
MisterWhiplash3 June 2000
This is the best college comedy ever made. Nothing has ever come close to comedic perfection, and never will again. The early bird director John Landis directs this film into greatness bringing stars John Belushi, Tim Matheson, Tom Hulce, Mark Metcalf and Donald Sutherland to the screen in brilliance. True, this film is just about a bunch of misfits defying authority in a campus of 1962, but that's what makes it so good, and original. Belushi, Metcalf, and others bring many of the laughs here, but it is mainly it's reputation that brings this film into hilarity. A landmark in cinema comedy. By the way, screenwriters Harold Ramis and Chris Miller originally were going to make this a film about Charles Manson called Laser Orgy Girls, so thank god Douglas Kenney came in and straightened this out to the right part.
86 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Maybe Can't Really Be Appreciated Anymore
pattersonsmith11 November 2002
If you have only seen this movie on TV, you have not really seen this movie. One of the best movie experiences of my life was seeing this movie in the theater with a full house of college students. I have never heard an audience laugh so hard, and I was laughing with them. That experience can never be recaptured. I don't know why this movie doesn't make the midnight movie tour in college towns. That way it might have some of the same impact. Also when it came out in 1978 it is hard to explain how big John Belushi was unless you were there and saw it first hand. It's still funny on the small screen, but only if you see it uncut. Never watch it on a network, they cut out most of the jokes!
68 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This one gets a 4.0 for sure!
pendragon6791 May 2004
John Landis's directorial debut, and John Belushi's first starring role make this screw-ball comedy about college life in the early 60's a must-see. I saw this picture for the first time when it was released to theaters and laughed my buns off; it still holds up today, almost 30 years later.

Every actor in the show gives a bravura performance, with stand-out debuts by the likes of Thomas Hulce, Tim Matheson, Karen Allen, Bruce Davidson, and others. In addition, there's a sense throughout the picture that we all knew these guys at one time or another in our lives. Shoot, I think I may have BEEN one or two of these guys at some point in my life. Of course, the picture revolves around Belushi's terrifically over-the-top Bluto Blutarsky; but you simply can't ignore characters like Boone, Otter, Niedermeyer, Gregg Marmalade, and my personal favorite, D-Day.

The writing on this picture is really far better than the loosely-structured plot first indicates. Each character is introduced neatly at their entrance; and, by extension, the other characters are set up by the entrances of their surrounding characters. For instance, when we first meet Belushi's character, he's holding a schooner of beer in one hand and drunkenly taking a leak on the Delta Tau Chi lawn. Right away, we know what the rest of these guys are going to be like. Then, when D-Day makes his entrance, driving his hawg through the front door and up the stairs to play the William Tell Overture on his throat before pulling a beer out of his jacket and popping the top, our fears are confirmed. Meanwhile, we get to meet the uptight, repressed, and mildly facsist other frat through similar vignettes. Kevin Bacon is particularly hilarious in his initiation ("Thank you, sir! May I have another?").

John Landis made his debut with this picture, and what a debut it was! His camera follows each of the characters and events at near breakneck speed, giving the audience little time to recover from one laugh before getting slapped in the head with another. Lots of natural lighting, and sharp, steady pacing with smooth transitions keep the story moving. Refreshingly, the film doesn't rely on over-the-top special effects to hold our attention. Then again, is there really any place for SFX in a picture like this?

The whole picture is one long laugh, from beginning to end. If you're a college grad, you'll forget what it was really like to have to work hard, study, and generally bust your tail to graduate. If you haven't yet gone to college, this picture will give you all the wrong ideas. On the other hand, you've gotta see this one, if for no other reason than to learn all the right (and wrong) things to do at a college party.
57 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Laughs are on the "House"....
Mister-624 August 1999
Every successful movie has its myriad clones and imitators, but none of them ever come close to what made the original so good.

That's certainly true of "Animal House".

The laughs are all solid, especially when the main focus is in toppling the stoic pillars of decency and normality with a battle cry of "food fight!".

Pledges Pinto (Hulce) and Flounder (Furst) are good soldiers, making us laugh with their desire to fit in at first then, finally, to succumb to the madness and pillage and destroy with the other Deltas, led by Bluto (Belushi), who waylays all in his path.

No subsequent attempt to cash in on the "Animal House" success has ever made good in toppling the once and future king of the mountain. Who has ever come close to creating a creature as lovably destructive as Bluto Blutarsky? What other college movie's dean ever made Dean Wormer seem like an easygoing, laid-back guy? What college movie scene comes close to the introduction of the Deltas? The toga party? The horse in the Dean's office? The road trip? The final parade? The....

Well, space is limited but you get the idea.

Ten stars, and a crushed-beer-can-on-the-forehead salute to all involved with the subversive garbage that is "Animal House".

More power to you.

And remember, knowledge is good.
57 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
National Lampoon's finest cinematic moment.
jckruize18 December 2001
Tasteless, politically incorrect and absolutely laugh-out loud hilarious, with a cast that's a Who's Who of later stars, including Peter Riegert, Tom Hulce, Tim Matheson, Karen Allen, Kevin Bacon, etc.

It's bittersweet watching the brilliance of John Belushi in this, his finest hour. Every twitch of his beady eyes, every jiggle of his mighty beer belly, every line of dialogue delivered with just the right amount of bluster or sneering sarcasm -- this guy was a bona-fide comic genius. He was taken from us far too soon.

Director John Landis orchestrates the escalating hi-jinks with masterful comedic precision, Elmer Bernstein contributes a very funny mock-grandiose score, and veteran character actor John Vernon provides a wonderful arch-villain as the toweringly evil Dean Wormer.

There are almost too many comic highlights; pick your own favorite. My candidates: Bluto's rousing speech about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, Pinto's Good & Bad Consciences battling over whether he should take advantage of his passed-out date, and Otter picking up the dean's wife in the supermarket vegetable aisle.

Watch for co-writer Doug Kenney as 'Stork', suspected of brain damage. Another Saturday Night Live alumnus, along with Belushi and Harold Ramis, he died in a hiking accident in Hawaii not too long after the movie's release. Heartfelt thanks to him and Belushi, as well as everyone else involved in this classic, for providing us with so many laughs.
42 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
If your review is too long....
dchristrev15 July 2004
you probably don't like teen sex comedies anyway. If you write more than 10 lines about this classic, you are taking it way too seriously. This is the King of Teen Sex Comedies, period. Anything that follows is/was a pretender or copycat. And I'll never understand why someone would spend so much time and space critiquing a film they don't like, from a genre they obviously don't appreciate. Virtually every actor plays his part realistically. I still get a huge kick out of Belushi's speech about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. Or "Do you mind if we dance with yo dates? Or "mine is bigger....my cucumber." Lots of classic lines. Just enjoy it!
126 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Sick, depraved, juvenile, disgusting, lewd, perverted......
Sonatine9724 June 2000
Yep, it must be Animal House!

The classic frat comedy of all time. A simple story of college life for a bunch of delinquents who seek solace with a an endless supply of beer, toga parties and loads of young girls.

It doesn't matter that the Delta House (the home of said delinquents), continually fail to pass their exams, for them sex & booze is all what life is about.

The movie is a perfect vehicle for Saturday Night Live star, John Belushi, who is allowed to show off his considerable talent as the biggest sicko of the Delta bunch - check out his impression of a Zit!!

But he is well supported by Tom Hulce, and surprisingly Donald Sutherland as the hippy professor with wayout theories.

Able actor, John Vernon, plays the Principle of the college and often the butt of the Delta House: finding a horse in his office is a classic piece of farce!

All in all, the film hangs together very well with a good script and superb visual jokes. John Landis must have a wild college life himself when he made this.

***/*****
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
MovieAddict20169 March 2005
This raunchy comedy was a major success at the time of its release (grossing well over $100 million in theaters alone) and still maintains a strong cult following on home video. It is the gross-out boys-only flick that launched a new wave of rude-n'-crude teen comedies, as well as immortalizing John Belushi as one of America's most beloved comedic icons.

It's the 1960s and the Delta fraternity is in trouble with the Faber College's Dean Wormer (John Vernon) yet again. The frat's crazy antics have gotten out of hand and the grades of its students have been steadily declining. Grabbing at the opportunity, Dean Wormer uses their poor grades and behavior as an excuse to kick them off the campus. However, the Deltas fight back – and give it all they've got.

"Animal House" is solely responsible for the surge of teen-styled comedies in the 1980s and '90s. There is no other film predating this, to speak of, which mixed sex, profanity, vulgarity, slapstick and rebellion all into one funny little bundle. "Animal House" truly is a revolutionary comedy, for better or worse. Yet in fact for all its offensive material, "Animal House" is joyously likable, infectious and agreeable. The writers – Harold Ramis, Douglas Kenney and Chris Miller – create a plethora of strong characters, which helps define and separate "Animal House" from many of its imitators (and indeed compares it to the equally-enjoyable "American Pie" series, which – like the "Animal" before it – took the time to study and care for its characters, rather than completely exploit them for "humor" – it's always harder to laugh at characters we don't care about, and much easier to laugh at those of whom we do).

Director John Landis (who would re-team with Belushi again in 1980 with "The Blues Brothers") not only understands his cast (mainly Belushi) but also his audience and paves a way for sibling genre entries through his realistic slapstick approach (this is not crazy in the same way as Airplane, Naked Gun or Police Academy is – in fact it's far more rooted in realism and only a few sequences really get out of hand and turn into classic dumb slapstick).

John Belushi as the alcoholic Bluto Blutarsky (on getting kicked out of college: "Seven years down the drain! I might as well join the Peace Corps!") remains the scene-stealer to this day, yet despite the film's close links with Belushi in general he is just a co-star, and when on-screen rarely speaks (a fact played to the film's comedic advantage – when Bluto gives his final rousing speech, it seems to mean something, even if…well…it doesn't.) Belushi demanded the largest paycheck of all the actors – including Donald Sutherland – but is hardly the "star" of "Animal House." Had he been, it may very well not have been as successful as it turned out to be – not because Bluto is annoying, but because introducing him in smaller portions – rather than focusing on him alone – constructs a fall-back mechanism of sorts; when the comedy is lagging too much, they bring in Bluto for support.

Bluto thrives on fun and partying – when he learns of a possible toga party, he begins a chant. One imagines he's so drunk and stoned he doesn't really understand much of what is going on. The film never identifies with him on a personal level. He's just sort of there. And we get the feeling perhaps he's only involved in the frat's antics because it's a blast – does he really care about staying in college? Or does he just want more free booze? "Animal House" might not be the best comedy of all time, and I'm hardly going to start arguing that it is. For one thing, it can tend to be a bit inconsistent – the humor is never continuously strong; rather it comes in bursts. Technically, it's imperfect – by a long shot. However, whoever said that the amount of laughter alone defines the greatness of a comedy? Do we need it to be fine art? "Animal House" doesn't only have its fair share of funny material and iconic screen moments, but is also incredibly entertaining, rowdy and cool – the quintessential college film and certainly the sort of comedy any self-respecting bachelor would make sure he views at least two hundred times a year. (Give or take.) All together, now: "Toga, toga, toga!"
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
A mixed bag of a comedy, in keeping with the mixed legacy of SNL and National Lampoon
David Conrad12 January 2014
Animal House draws much of its humor from the oft-visited "slobs versus snobs" well. It is also a movie that pits men vs. women, blacks vs. whites, and the dudely bros of Delta House vs. uncool military martinets (they like to spank each other) and sensitive new-age folk-singers (he sings about having no stone and no bone, get it?) To be a wet blanket about it, and to use words that would definitely get me pantsed and hung upside-down in the dean's office, National Lampoon's comedy fits into the same niche that Saturday Night Live has occupied since the '70s of being extremely white, male, and heteronormative while also being impishly anti-authority. With that said, a lot of the tribalism depicted on screen might actually be pretty accurate when it comes to Greek life, even in the supposedly more enlightened 21st century. While in college in the early years of the millennium I knew dilapidated houses like that and dilapidated people like that. The familiarity makes some of Animal House funny, especially when the Delta House protagonists are as much the subjects of mockery as are their opponents. The figure that most often cuts both ways is Bluto, played by the movie's funniest actor in John Belushi. He's a retrograde caveman, and while he's capable of being almost heroic in the limited milieu of a frat, in any other context he'd qualify as a brain-dead sociopath. That's what makes the final shot of the movie, which reveals his post-college fate, so cuttingly funny. Animal House is sufficiently well-made and has enough laughs to get it into the comedic canon despite its mainstream brand of political incorrectness and a lot of slow and obvious scenes.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
it's hard to believe this was once considered hilarious
sherlock085612 July 2005
I saw this movie on TV last night and was blown away by how relentlessly terrible it was, both in execution and content. It was interesting only as a reference point to the sensibilities of an earlier age. Since Animal House was apparently considered in 1978 to be the height of wit and daring, and since today in comparison with what might be called its pop culture progeny it appears either embarrassingly tame or lame, we can tell just how much the popular culture has evolved in the intervening time. There has been a sea change in received notions of what is cool since 1978, probably comparable to the change in such perceptions during the similar length of time between 1951 and 1978. In other words, its overtly anti-establishment themes and primitive ideas of transgressive humor make Animal House very much a product of its time. This movie can really only be appreciated as a poorly-acted and amateurishly-directed glimpse into the mindset of youngish Americans of another age. I know I'm ragging on this movie, but the humor in Animal House just doesn't translate into today's world, and on balance that is probably something for which we should be grateful.
37 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
OVER-RATED
Spaceballs13 August 2002
This has got to be the most-OVERRATED comedies of all time,I have no idea why everyone haved been raving about this silly SO-CALLED CULT-CLASSIC,sure that's what i expect from a movie like this and i do enjoy the genre,but the cookie-cutter script just frankly lacks BREAK-AWAY humor and the humor is too dull for my taste,I'll go with PORKYS, BLUES BROTHERS or AIRPLANE! anyday!!
27 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
31 years have not treated this well.
evergrowingbrain18 July 2009
For the 4 people who read my twitter feed (and the 62 people who think that I might buy their porn/dating/entertainment services if they follow me too) I put a few of my thoughts down for them as I watched. My first tweet was "12 minutes in. Not laughed once yet. Should I have?" I mention laughing – I mean internal laughter too. I hadn't identified a joke, or a comedy situation by that point. Of course, I then identified that certain other things had been referencing this film – most notably an episode of Futurama called "robot house" when Bender enrolls in Mars University. One of the robots spends the whole time in a little beanie hat, which now becomes funnier, as I have now seen the reference material (I laughed a lot after first seeing One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as it made the Simpsons so much funnier.) Next tweet, after the Futurama reference, was "36 minutes, I sort of smirked". I have no idea what I smirked at. Following this – "This film is so bad, I've stopped forward winding the adverts"

I suspect this was the first film to dare to show pretty girls with their tops off. However – the accessibility of boobs is now so easy, my standards are considerably higher. My tweet that the "topless pillow fight would have been better if they weren't all wearing MASSIVE granny pants" made me realize that this is something that would have been cutting edge in 1978.

I went a little controversial on my next one. "Belushi. Only remembered as good because he died early? With him on the guitar smashing at parties though". Everyone who has ever been jealous of the smarmy bloke who plays the guitar and has the girls cooing on his every note has wanted to do that. Otherwise, he is playing quite the most charmless and one dimensional character I've ever seen in cinema. Deeply unpleasant and unlikable. Anyone whose party trick is crushing a can on his own forehead gets no sympathy from me.

I found myself entirely sympathizing with the group of new kids – who have somehow made it to college (later I discover this is the only reason they aren't being drafted to fight in the Vietnam war, which I can sympathize with, but if going to college is the only way you are going to avoid getting killed in a ludicrous conflict, then surely you'd do all you can to stay there), they are searching for acceptance, friendship and like minded people. Unfortunately for them, they apparently only have two choices – the posh, rich and intelligent kids, or the complete brain dead losers. There was apparently no third choice. The posh kids wouldn't have them, and the losers couldn't care less, so the join Delta House, who are already on "double secret probation" (what the hell is that – how are you supposed to know you are in trouble if you aren't told about it?) After various illegal activities, underage drinking, underage sex, hints at date rape (we believe his conscience got the better of him) horse murder, in addition to academic issues, such as NOT GOING TO ANY CLASSES or having grade point averages of less than zero, they seem somewhat surprised and shocked when they are expelled.

I did identify a few attempts at humor in the process: • The inability to open a bra strap has now become such a cliché – and I know it wasn't a new joke when this film used it – that it is purely not funny. • The moment when Belushi's character puts pencils up his nose while in the Dean's office might have been funny, if he'd removed them on replacement of the Dean's glasses – although maybe the fact that I was expecting that to happen makes it funnier, although not that much funnier. • Sex with 13 year old girls isn't funny either. • Blatant racism in having a bunch of white kids walk into a bar full of black people, and immediately get threatened with flick-knives, - is that funny because my preconceptions are that this really isn't realistic behavior? The closest thing for me to an actual comedy moment, was when the house was being emptied and a cow was led down the front steps.

In protest at their expulsion, our (anti?)heroes decide to get their revenge, ruining the homecoming parade, an event that the good people of the town were very much enjoying, they assault, molest and pretty much attempted murder their way to notoriety, finishing off with driving their "death wagon" or some such into the platform holding the Dean and his wife. How am I supposed to have any sympathy for people who have no idea that they are in control of their own destinies, that they are guilty of all the charges against them, and completely deserved everything that happened to them? If there was any sense of injustice against Delta House, it might have been a different matter, but these idiots did themselves no favors at all.

31 years have not been kind to Animal House. I grew up with Alison Hannigan doing things with her flute in American pie. With Terrence and Philip singing about inappropriate relationships with their uncles in South Park the Movie. Having your trousers urinated on by a drunken lout (and accepting it) is gross, but not funny. Humour has moved on, and maybe going back in time to where it all started was never going to work for me.
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
This Picture Says It All
ccthemovieman-125 March 2006
This movie should be in a time capsule. What better example to show the great progress Liberal thinking and influence had on the USA in the 1960s and 1970s? By this time, it was official: anything bad is "ccol" and good is really bad. Got it?

This has it all: getting drunk every night is the goal; vandalizing is fun; being totally obnoxious and a slob is the only way to act and be cool; make fun of any kind of authority, especially anyone connected to the (ugh) military; make fun of anyone who is religious and party til you puke!!!

This is what life is all about and who better to show this than John Belushi....the ultimate party slob (until he overdosed on drugs and killed himself but, hey, at least he wasn't a phony actor just playing a role).

Animal House - ah, the benefits of higher education!
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Boring, unfunny, then and now
drystyx27 November 2006
I remember when the SNL was the rage, and people were required to watch it to be acceptable in society, and to laugh whether they thought it was funny or not. AT least SNL had some slightly humorous bits. This movie, which featured a very talented comic John Belushi), who was wasted in bits of boredom like this, was as boring then as it is now. Bravo rated this as the funniest movie of all time. But if you've never seen it, be forewarned, Bravo must have some underlying motives. You have to go into the movie determined to laugh at anything, and struggle to laugh. You have to be a great actor to laugh at this movie, or so drunk or stoned, you'll laugh at anything. It looks like something that never had a script, and was made by some teenagers who thought something sounded cool and funny, but never envisioned it. Belushi tries, and his talent is completely wasted here. Proof that a good comic isn't always a great judge of material.
20 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Vulgar, but also incredibly funny with a truly wonderful performance from Belushi
TheLittleSongbird25 September 2010
Animal House is not my favourite comedy or anything, but I like it very much. I do like comedy, I like John Landis and I like John Belushi, so naturally I thought yeah I think I'll like this film. And I did. While light on plot and quite vulgar strictly speaking, it is still hugely enjoyable thanks to the performances. Animal House is beautifully filmed, has a good soundtrack and John Landis does a great job directing, while the sight gags are smart and the script has enough hilarious one-liners to keep you chuckling. As for favourite scenes, I have two specific favourites, the food fight and the wonderful rallying speech. The acting is very good, while Kevin Bacon, Tom Hulce, Peter Reigert and Donald Sutherland give great performances, it is John Belushi's film all the way as he gives one of his best ever performances in this film. In conclusion, very good film and funny. 8/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
what a waste of time
mattmatthew8082 December 2005
terrible, terrible movie. it's not even funny, or even clever. this movie makes revenge of the nerds look like a masterpiece, and porky's ingenious. (the latter two are movies i actually LIKE). but this, this is an insult to the whole genre. i really don't understand how anyone calls this movie a classic. i'd say the most clever part of the whole movie is the courtroom scene and even then, it's pushing it. and the genius of belushi? good god, where? he was a crass, raving lunatic in this movie. hardly what i'd call comedy. and the rest of the cast, not funny at all. their so-called star lineup? cmon. kevin bacon played a minor role at that. so did donald sutherland. hardly the role i'd expect to see him in after an amazing performance like in Mash. ugh. there goes 1 hr and 49 min of my life i'll never get back.
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wow...talk about a generation gap....
MartinHafer6 May 2011
"Animal House" is a comedy classic and there have already been a bunch of reviews for it. So, instead of discussing the specifics, I want to relate what happened when I re-watch the film a few years ago. Now I have always loved "Animal House" and the film never fails to make me laugh. Even now, if my wife says 'Fawn Liebowitz', I can't help but laugh. So, when my oldest daughter got old enough to watch the film (which is 30, but I watched it with her when she turned 18), we watched it together. I KNEW she'd laugh hysterically....and she never did. In fact, when the film was over, she said 'it's okay...' and I was shocked. How could she not love the film?! Well, I think a lot of it happens to have a lot to do with when you grew up. Back in the late 70s, it worked GREAT but now here in 2008, it fell a bit flat. Wow...what a shock.

So, I assume that the film will definitely work better if you grew up around the time the film was made...though it is possible that my oldest is just a weird!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
classic movie about college life.
tybalt-44 March 1999
Animal House set the standard for college/drinking/women chasing/bad behavior movies of the last 20 years. With an Oscar worthy preformance by John Belushi it is a movie that continues to be interesting and simply hilarious every time you watch it. Animal House has had a more profound effect on young men growing up than the novel Catcher in the Rye, or the films the Graduate and Platoon combined. If you don't like Animal House you don't understand the genre, film, or the arts.
First of it's kind
John O'Neill6 December 2001
The first film made by National Lampoon magazine, it's a film i've wanted to see for a long time. However, having finally seen it, it's something of a disappointment. Basically, it's the story of a fraternity house, Delta House, at a college in America and it's inhabitant's misadventures. Although it's easy to criticise, this was the first movie of it's kind, paving the way for many other similar films, such as the Porky's trilogy. John Belushi is, as always, brilliant and the rest of the cast acquit themselves admirably, but the problem is the script is just too light. An OK film, but just OK.
Belushi's acting is remarkable
Thomas I30 November 1998
Clearly, John Belushi is the star of the movie, and yet, notice how few actual lines he has. Other than his famous speech near the end, he rarely says more than one sentence per scene. His brilliance is that he can convey more with a single raised eyebrow than most other actors can even with the best of scripts.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The original, and still the best...
Ferentz17 June 1999
Perhaps it is the greatest movie (comedy) of all time, some could argue that point. However, I believe that it is the greatest comedy movie that will ever be made. This is a truly "funny" movie. The wonderful, colorful writing is brought to life by a wonderful cast. In turn, the incredible talent of the cast is tapped to the fullest extent by John Landis' superb comedic genius. The movie is the greatest because it the original. This statement does seem incredibly cliche, and I hear it use about many movies today. But "Animal House" is the real deal. This true masterpiece didn't rely to heavily on sight gags, shock value, plain old jokes, or good old slap stick. Instead, this movie masterfully combined the many different aspects of comedy into one coherent film. Although all writers and directors borrow from this classic film, none will ever top the achievement of Douglas Kenney, Harold Ramis, and John Landis.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Simply the greatest comedy of all-time
otter7729 April 1999
John Landis' "Animal House" is a comedic masterpiece. It's not just a funny movie,but it is so much more than that.It is full of manic energy, hilarious dialogue, and great jokes. It is very well directed by John Landis (possibly the greatest comic director ever). He directs this movie with such energy and comic zest that it is no wonder he went on to make other great movies like "The Blues Brothers."

"Animal House" is a better movie than people may have first realized. It has some wonderfuly written characters. The Deltas are all extremely likable , and the actors do great jobs of portraying them. The villians are great too. The Dean and the Omegas are written and acted to perfection.

The movie also has the greatest cinematic finale of all-time. Each of the scenes have countless moments of comic inspiration and suprises. Well anyway this movie is probably the most quotable and hilarious movie ever made.
Copied to clipboardCopy link
John Belushi is still the main attraction of National Lampoon's Animal House all these years later
tavm28 June 2010
All right, after about 25 years, I decided to once again watch National Lampoon's Animal House which was the movie that made SNL star John Belushi a bona fide film star. I mean, despite his role being essentially a supporting one that was created mainly to provide the most outrageously hilarious moments, he's the deservedly top-billed one that was the reason Animal House was such a big hit and continues to attract viewers today. This is certainly not to take away the contributions of such players as Tim Matheson, Peter Riegert, Bruce McGill, John Vernon, Mark Metcalf, Stephen Furst, and a young unknown named Kevin Bacon. But face it, for the most part Belushi is the show. What probably also helped were such fetching females like Karen Allen and Sarah Holcomb who along with Mary Louise Weller and Lisa Baur provide the ample nudity that I'm sure provided some wet dreams for adolescent boys everywhere. (Like me!) Script by Harold Ramis, Chris Miller, and Douglas Kenney is funny from beginning to end and director John Landis adds some great improvisation of his own to the proceedings. So what more can I say except, "Toga! Toga!" or "Food fight!" or my favorite line: "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" among others...P.S. As a native Chicagoan, I'm proud that Belushi, Landis, and Ramis also came from there. And, yes, the slide after the credits that says "When in Hollywood, Visit Universal Studios (Ask for Babs!)" was retained for the HD DVD but the tours in neither Tinseltown nor Orlando honor the discount or free pass that saying her name originally entailed.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Classic fraternity comedy.
Michael Blighe24 October 2006
A much talked-about movie, not just because of the stars like John Belushi, but also because of the insanity and taboos broken (lecturers smoking pot, promiscuous sex et al), Animal House is easily one of the best wild comedies ever made.

Merely watching the movie makes one relish for days of skipping classes and wreaking havoc everywhere. Smashing golf balls randomly is one such insane act, along with riding a motorcycle up some stairs. Many instances like this occur, while all the time there is a storyline building up in the background which could decide the fate of everyone in the errant Delta House.

Yet despite their antics and insanity, we all know deep down that there will be a good ending, and I leave it to you to see it for yourselves.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!