Grease (1978) Poster

(1978)

Grease Will Always Be The Word...
Theater_Princess1931 May 2005
How do I start? I love this film! It has a great plot line and incredible music. It is a fun musical that makes you want to get up and dance.

Grease is the story of Danny Zucko and Sandy Olsen (or Dumbruski) two high school seniors who fall in love over the summer. They have a wonderful summer together and are sad to see it end. The first day of school arrives and little does Danny know him and Sandy would soon be reunited. But Sandy is shocked to find the nice guy she meet at the beach is the leader of a greaser gang called 'The T'birds' Meanwhile Sandy is trying to fit in with her new "friends" the T'birds female counterparts The Pink Ladies. Will Sandy and Danny ever be together again? Along with this plot comes song that will be stuck in your head for centuries. Such songs include Summer Nights, Beauty School Dropout and the now famous song Greased Lightining. Grease is a timeless classic that will have you singing and dancing by the end of the movie.
117 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
'It's Still the Word'
ks_archer5 May 2004
Sandy and Danny, their names alone mean nothing, together they represent the film we all know and love that brought us 'Summer Nights' and 'Greased Lightnin'. Grease is an infamous musical-play turned film, adapted and produced by Allan Carr, chartering the summertastic rock 'n' roll of the 1950s, centring on the highs and lows of a group of teenagers at high-school, Rydell High.

The film begins with two people having a summer romance, Sandy (Newton-John) an uptight, naïve, nerdy Australian girl and Danny (Travolta), a 'jack-the-lad' 'T' bird. After the opening credits which are amusing cartoons of the main characters we see the two well known groups of teenagers, the Pink Ladies and the 'T' Birds going back to school after summer vacation. The rest of the film centres mostly on the relationship of Sandy and Danny, the problems they face, and the ups and downs of their high school chums. The main characters and the unusual pairing of Sandy and Danny makes for comfortable viewing.

My favourite part of the film is the music, this film has such a brilliant soundtrack. If you have the chance to watch the film on DVD you get the added bonus of a songbook. However with a musical film you do find some parts unrealistic when they sing, why would a group of lads sing Summer Nights for example? Yet that aside the songs, mostly corny love songs are addictive and easy to pick up unfortunately will be in your head all day. Grease may not have had a lavish budget like films made today, but this 1978 film directed by Randal Kleiser still manages to have great audience appeal. Its' scenes and costumes are basic and probably didn't break the bank to produce but this all adds to the realism of the film.

I like the film and could watch it over and over again. Newton-John's debut performance is excellent but her character Sandy is too 2D and has no depth. Travolta's performance is to perfection and this film benchmarked his film career. Danny is 3D, he can be loving, self obsessed, a saviour and a winner, whereas Sandy to me is just a bore. All characters bring something different to the film making it a success. Rizzo is the hard nosed cow, bitchy about Sandy, possibly jealous, who seeks revenge on her boyfriend by going out with his arch enemy. There is also Marcy who loves the men and has lots of boyfriends, and Frenchy who becomes Sandy's best friend who is caring.

This uplifting, audience grabbing film may be slightly cheesy but there is just so much to love about it, especially the soundtrack and dance moves! This gives it longevity making it such a great film that could be the best musical ever made. This classic film deserves a 5/5 just for being groovy! But I just can't stop thinking why is it called Grease?!
93 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Moral Corruption of Sandy
CalvinValjean28 March 2007
Grease definitely has a fun energy to it, and all of the cast has great chemistry. That's the main reason that this film, despite being nearly 30 years old and set 20 years earlier than that, still manages to appeal to young people of today who laugh and have fun with it, and of course, sing those timeless songs. So hats off to Grease for that.

Now that being said: the movie is incredibly stupid! It's basically a 90 minute episode of Happy Days or Saved By the Bell in which we follow various plot lines in a high school, strung together by the fun songs. We're treated to such stupid dialog as: "This year, I don't take no crap from nobody." "Yes, ma'am. No, ma'am." "Hey, it's Eugene!"

In one plot line, Frenchy (who's a memorable character but dumber than a bag of nails) becomes a beauty school drop out. However, aside from being an excuse for Frankie Avalon to sing that song, the plot line goes nowhere and she still magically graduates high school along side everyone else. Who knew it was so easy to drop out and get back in?

But then there's the main plot line: two youths named Danny and Sandy fall in love one summer, which is just fine in the real world, but once back in high school, they realize they're in different social cliques; he's a greaser and she's a goody-goody. Throughout the school year their relationship takes several turns, before arriving at an absurd ending in which all problems are magically solved by Sandy getting a makeover and becoming "cool." The message here is so superficial that it's actually funny: "Give in to peer pressure and be whatever kind of person you need to be to make your boyfriend or girlfriend happy." Considering Sandy has been celibate through all of the movie till now, I think it's implied Danny will get a nice surprise that night; a message to give to young girls, ha ha.

So, to wrap up this little review, Grease certainly has its moments, and IS a well-made movie musical, or else it wouldn't have the audience it does. It's a feel-good movie; it just has zero substance.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
amazing
grrracie_girl7 October 2004
This play turned movie is one my favorites. It has mostly anything you could ask for. Being a romance, comedy, musical and so much more, makes it unique. John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Didi Cohn, Jeff Conaway and so many more make this an all-star hit. This movie well illustrates what the 50s was all about. I must say, anyone who thinks its ovverrated or anything else bad must've not really thought and seen how amazing this classic is. I will keep and treasure my 20th anniversary DVD to share with my children, my children's children, and so on. The vocals in this film are outstanding, with the breath-taking voice of Olivia Newton-John, and John Travolta's rock numbers. Its a timeless hit that will have people enjoying it throughout the ages.
62 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This movie is the best..... a true classic
lysraypec0926 June 2005
Since I am still just a teen, I know that many others might say I am not one to criticize a movie, and in most cases I might disagree, but with this movie... what is there to criticize? The atmosphere of the movie, the charisma of the actors, the addiction to the awesome songs in it, even the what could have been outdated costumes instantly became a Halloween fave... I myself dressed up as "new" Sandy when I was little... and I still wish I could have been in the movie. I admit, the sequel to it seemed horrible to me after watching the original, and I wished they had kept all of the original actors, and well, not tried to even make the sequel, but, well a movie like that can only be made once I suppose. Anyways, I just want to give my props and admiration to all of the directors, actors, and others who helped with this movie, (being an ITS member myself and LOVING acting) I think that anyone who has not seen this movie needs to go right to the store and find it.... otherwise they really missed out. :)Thanks for reading this, hope you agree!
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best musicals brought to the big screen.
uhmyeahhbrooke21 July 2007
Although it is old, Grease is still loved and watching by adults and children alike. Once you watch Grease you just want to get up and dance! Grease is the story of bad-boy Danny and good-girl Sandy meeting each other over summer break then happen to returning to the same school. There's a great mix of kids, they all are very different and have one thing that separates them very much from each other. There's a great mix of songs too; slow and very fast. Also, the dancing is amazing. The end also blows your mind and just makes you so astonished, but in such a good way. The up-beat fun never stops and makes you want to watch the movie again and again. Grease is a definite must see for everyone!
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best (and most enjoyable) musicals!
george.schmidt31 March 2003
GREASE (1978) **** John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Jeff Conaway, Stockard Channing, Dinah Manoff, Eve Arden, Sid Caesar, Edd `Kookie' Byrnes, ShaNaNa, Frankie Avalon, Joan Blondell, Ellen Travolta, Eddie Deezen, Lorenzo Lamas. One of the best Broadway musicals ever adapted for the big screen largely thanks to producer Allan Carr and director Randal Kleiser set at Rydell High circa 1950s with Travolta (in his other iconic role) as leather jacket wearing, hunky hood with a heart-of-gold Danny Zuko recalling his `Summer Nights' with Aussie sexpot Newton-John (in her sunny to sultry iconic turn) as goody-goody Sandy who learns some things from The Pink Ladies' tough yet tender leader Rizzo (Channing, ditto). Good old fashioned knuckle-headed comedy and toe-tapping tunes that will have you dancing and singing along to `Greased Lightning' (imagine Elvis doing this!) , the dance contest's hyper-paced `Hand Jive' sequence and the closer `We Go Together'. Title tune by Franki Valli. A film I've seen probably a hundred times and never tire of.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Adorable
frankwhat13 September 2004
I hated this movie when I was a teenager and I'm so pissed at myself because of that. Looking at this movie now in my 20's I can appreciate what a fun-loving view of life this provides. All the songs are of at least decent quality but three of them in particular are just amazing. This is hands down one of the better musicals out there. The choreography can't be more well done than shown here. It's funny because I liked "Saturday Night Fever" better when I was younger but now I don't care for that movie and the exact opposite happened with this one...go figure. Olivia Newton-John is just gorgeous, why she didn't star in many movies afterward I'll never understand and god what a voice!!! John Travolta was great, and everyone else (especially Stockard Channing) were all fabulous. Oh and if you ever go to a Karaoke night make sure you do the "Grease Megamix" sometime throughout the night as it'll get the crowd pumped guaranteed.

Final Synopsis:

Movies : I did see this when I was in high school because it was re-released in the late 90's in theaters but stupid macho me back then didn't care for it. This is one you can view easily on the silver screen and enjoy it just as much for a lot cheaper.

DVD Purchase : Couldn't resist for only $9.

Rental : This could easily be a once a year habit.
63 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The best musical of all time!
Adriane4 October 1999
No other musical beats this one! The cast is perfect, and it is very funny as well. Travolta is still a babe. Watching this movie, you will be singing the songs with everybody. Fun cast, great songs and appeal still make this a great film today. Grease is still the word!
43 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The best musical off all time.....
famousgir116 April 2001
Grease has to be the best musical off all the time. The wonderful actors and actress' give there characters all they've got and bring out a wonderful performance all the way through the movie especially John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing and Didi Conn. And, who can forget the music. Absolutely amazing. It's no wonder that the Grease soundtrack in the best selling musical soundrack ever. (It sure is brilliant.) Grease really is the word. It's fantastic. 10/10
72 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Greatest musical ever!!
Peach-215 December 1998
I am a huge fan of Grease. I've seen the play and I've watched the movie at least 500 times. It captures everything high school is about. Even though it is set in the 50's, it seems to resonate even for today's generation. John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John are great in the movie as well as the rest of the cast. I met the girl of my dreams when I took her on a date to see the play, so this film has a special place in my heart.
44 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Awful...
DarthVoorhees17 December 2011
I've always found 'Grease' to be a troubling and often very lazy piece of theatre. Above any show I have ever seen has always been about creating caricatures and yet we are expected to care about these caricatures. I like a few of the songs on a certain level but as a narrative with characters and motivation I am afraid to say that I think 'Grease' is a mess of epic quality. The 1978 film adaptation is no different. While I think 'Grease' is a show that is hard to do well I think the movie might just be the worst version of the show that I have seen precisely because it is so "iconic". Travolta and Olivia Newton John created "icons" free of motivation, real conflict, and conviction. 'Grease' is loud and noisy but never does it feel populated by human beings and this is due to horrible performances.

The greatest problem with 'Grease' is that it has no real central conflict to the story. It definitely feels as if it has captured something in the ballpark of adolescence. Yet, 'Grease's definition of adolescence is such a distortion to bring out the easiest forms of theatricality. The problems faced in 'Grease' about blossoming sexuality and societal masks exist but 'Grease' not only confounds them but creates characters that make them seem the be all end all's. The quintessential grade school meaning of life question "does he like me or not" is not a good enough starting point. The show is about triviality especially in the Sandy and Danny romance because we both know they love each other and they both essentially have a similar circle of friends but the conflict that keeps these lovers apart is all about what clothes they wear. The actors have been given a near impossible task to overcome to make these caricatures characters. If singing in a musical should be the pinnacle of a character's emotional need to speak out than these characters are emotionally warped. The musical numbers are loud and well choreographed and sung but they feel so far detached. And I grant that reality isn't necessarily what one looks for but a certain sense of reality is needed in rooting these characters. Because everything is so false in the acting we feel like we are being lied to. That essentially what acting is, lying, but never do we get to that baseness unless something is really off or consciously dissected.

Because the songs do not come from a place of reality(not even heightened reality) the whole musical seems cartoonish. I think a particularly good example of the actor's failure is when actress Stockard Channing's Rizzo sings "Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee". Channing is a great singer but a lousy actress. Granted the scene is Rizzo making fun of Sandy because of her insecurities and I think that really is a compelling place to start a scene but even in her attempt to create a sarcastic caricature she seems over the top. I think it is telling that even in a moment where the play is trying to be over the top that it still comes off as too over the top. Channing creates horrible choices with her body, jerking herself around in such mechanical unnatural ways. Her voice accents every lyrical quality of the music in such a blunt and violent matter that we don't notice the lyrics of the song.

I've always found the ending to 'Grease' to be very troubling and I think the happy go lucky quality to 'You're the One That I Want' really shows this. I was more opposed to the crowd than anything else. I think this is important because it shows that even in a musical where you don't sing but are there there has to be a motivation and conviction to being there. The crowd scenes in musicals are hard to pull off well because you have to think about every actor creating a motivation for a whole crowd to erupt in song. The show ends with Sandy essentially giving up all her moral high ground and convictions and becoming like Danny who has not mutually changed himself. I can see why Sandy and Danny all dance but why the crowd? Shouldn't this moment have been merely between Sandy and Danny? They go into a funhouse and yet you see the hands of Danny's gang poking through the windows and they are there at the end. Why? I don't think the actors or the director thought hard here because they appear like gorillas and it makes the ending troubling. It can't just be gratuitous placement of characters even if they don't sing and just dance they still have to have motivation. If one doesn't just sit back and turn their brain off here than the ending feels symbolically like rape. I realize I might be looking too hard into this but I DID care about Sandy in a way. The inclusion of these apes actually left me after viewing 'Grease' to think that Danny wasn't going to "shape up" and so the lyrics ultimately meant nothing and Sandy's metamorphosis is a defeat. Having the lyrics mean nothing is the worst thing you can do in a musical. It is telling that this happens in 'Grease' during it's most famous number.

Sure 'Grease' may be escapist and the musical quality I suppose is kind of fun but the acting is awful. I want to see a production of 'Grease' which has Danny and Sandy in it and not the bad boy and the nice girl with their groupies.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Popular 50's teenage musical sends the wrong messages
roghache12 March 2006
This is one of a number of movies I saw back when they were first released, misguidedly enjoyed at the time, and now find I have major issues with. I suppose it's a mildly entertaining movie of generally brainless drivel (50's greaser stereotype rebellion), with a few catchy tunes. If it was merely that, okay, but this film gives its viewers (especially teenage ones) ALL the worst possible messages.

The plot revolves around "young love" (?) as experienced by the pretty, innocent young Australian girl, Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) who has a summer romance with Danny (John Travolta). In the fall she discovers that they attend the same school, Rydell High, and that Danny is the leader of a greaser gang called the T birds. Their different attitudes naturally bring conflict into their (immature) relationship. Sandy finally becomes convinced that she must turn herself into a tart in order to keep her man, and proceeds to do precisely that.

First, a few compliments to the movie. I'm a big fan of Olivia Newton-John and her (earlier) music, think she's lovely in this picture and a lovely lady still. Also, John Travolta is a guy with charisma galore; I loved him in Saturday Night Fever. In terms of the music, my favorite piece is "Hopelessly Devoted to You", a beautiful romantic song that deserved its Oscar. (Too bad Sandy feels pressured to have sex with the guy she's "hopelessly devoted" to.) But that's just about where my compliments end, and my rating of 4 is mainly from a sense of nostalgia.

Wrong messages, where to begin? First of all, Danny is the leader of a gang, whose purpose is rebellion (as though teenagers needed any encouragement there, Ha, ha) Well, the gang isn't really violent, you say? Maybe not, but even the Pink Ladies, its female counterpart, is at best quite an established clique. Teenagers have enough trouble dealing with peer pressure both then and today. Did they really need a film encouraging them to alter their persona to fit in with the crowd?

Sandy begins smoking in order to feel accepted by the Pink Ladies and especially Danny. Way to go, Sandy. I don't even need to start mentioning all the negative aspects here.

But worst, absolute worst...the very obvious message to all teenage girls watching, that virginity is just plain unacceptable...you can't possibly expect to keep your man unless you dress provocatively and presumably deliver the goods as well. You know what, Sandy, you were fine just the way you were at the start...young, sweet, and innocent. If Danny doesn't like you that way, tough; let him look elsewhere. YOU keep your self respect, girl, and find some other guy who WILL appreciate you as you are and not expect anything from you you're not prepared to give.

Enough lecturing, except to conclude...Yes, Grease is the word all right, if you want to send a teenager all the wrong messages, that is.
35 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Deeply Immoral Movie
gierran6 August 2003
Possible minor spoilers ahead:

I hated this movie when I saw it in the theatres when I was ten. I didn't know why until I saw it done on stage years later at a local high school. The movie (and play) tell you that you're not good enough as you are; that to have people like you, you have to change. The final scene makes it clear that being yourself isn't good enough. You have to conform to the will of others in order to be happy. And making the woman the one who has to change is sexist. Then, misogny backhands you like an abusive husband by sexually objectifying the change. Look, now she has to be a hussy to have a happy ending.

Simply disgusting. Easily one of the worst movies ever made.
47 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It's only the beginning... Grease IS the word!
Kristine15 March 2004
Very possibly the most known musical of all time, Grease is a film that just blew up and knocked everyone out of the ball park with it's catchy tunes, sexy actors and just gave everyone a great time. I've watched this movie since I was a kid, I find it hard to believe that there isn't a person who doesn't at least know one song from this musical even if they hadn't seen it. But I just adored it, played it over and over again because of the songs. I thought the pink ladies were so cool and the T-Birds were so funny. Growing up and watching it again, it does have a different view than that of a child, but I think it holds up well and is still a ton of fun.

Danny, a greaser, is a member of the T-Birds who include Kenickie, Doody, Putzie and Sonny. Meanwhile, the Pink Ladies arrive, Rizzo, Frenchie, Jan and Marty. After her parents decided not to return to Australia, Sandy enrolls at Rydell and befriends Frenchy, who considers dropping out of school to become a beautician. Oblivious to each other's presence at school, Danny and Sandy tell the T-Birds and Pink Ladies their respective accounts of events during their brief romance. Learning Danny is Sandy's lover, Rizzo arranges for the two to reunite, but Danny is forced to maintain his bad boy attitude in front of his friends, upsetting Sandy. Now with their love on the rocks, these groups need to drop the attitude and just sing their problems away because "grease" is the word.

One of the most talked about scenario's is that Sandy supposedly has to change herself in order to be with Danny, enraging a lot of feminists. My look at it is that these two did genuinely love each other, while they shouldn't have cared so much about what their friends thought, they would be willing to do anything for each other in order to be a couple. You even see Danny dressed a little bit more preppy before he sees Sandy in her new transformation.

I love the energy that is put into this film, I think that's what makes it so special. Everyone just loves to dance and sing to this movie. How could you resist it? My favorite scene that still gives me chills and gets me up dancing is definitely the school dance scene. Between the dancing the music, then to add the jokes that were made on top of that with Kenickie lifting up the cheerleader's dress to just have fun since she's such a goodie-goodie, was just too funny. My only complaint being about this movie that I still don't get is that Danny starts dancing with Cha Cha when she pulls him away from Sandy, he just keeps going not even thinking about Sandy. One of the things I find so hilarious about this movie also is that the actors who all look like they're in their 30's are playing 17 year old's. But I digress; this movie still holds up today because it just brings a certain happiness to people. It's a wonderful film that anyone could find themselves dancing or singing too.

18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
oh my, i can't believe i watched this.
crash-after6 July 2015
okay, so everyone i've ever known has said what an amazing movie this is. it's a classic. it's got fantastic actors (travolta, channing, newton-john, yadda yadda).

well, i've seen many a film and i try to stay pretty open-minded.

but god almighty, this film is deplorable.

this is the worst film i have ever seen. my sister and i tried watching it a year ago and only got through the first song, but last night, we watched it all the way through.

every. single. goddamn. second.

my first complaint is that the characters right off the bat are unrealistic. and you can't tell me that's what the fifties were like. come on, people, no high school looks that old. that guy, sonny, is 32 for chrissake.

the characters lack depth that makes them likable. well, maybe it was just me but i did not find anyone likable except for the lady who owned the car repair shop.

the film is incredibly sexist, too and what was up with all the rape- esque scene/references?

the music was alright, but it seems like the writers just kind of gave up with lyrics on that last song. the plot was so vague and not in a good way. in an unnecessarily boring way where you realize what the whole point of the movie is at the end. the girl is giving up her virginity so a boy will like her. it's a stupid message. it's not at all about love. west side story is far better and natalie wood isn't even hispanic.

i'm sorry if i offended anyone---seriously not my intention. i just don't see how great this movie is. maybe i missed something but i didn't like any of the characters, they all looked super old and the whole thing was rather sexist.

musically (forgetting the lyrics), it was fine. but, i think to enjoy this movie, one would have to listen to the audio only and try to ignore the gang bang comments. or, if you want, just avoid the thing entirely. i wish i had stuck to harold & maude. :(

(i never give anything this low!)
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A "Greasy" Reputation
aafowlks6 December 2015
Have you ever met a person who is completely different when they is around their friends? Well, that would describe Danny Zuko (The great John Travolta) right on the mark. Danny is a teenager who is driven by his reputation of being the coolest kid in the school. This film provides an excellent view on the issue of reputation. It argues that having a reputation is more important than developing a relationship with the person whom you fell in love with. During the first song, called "Summer Nights", you can see the difference between Danny's real personality and his personality when he is with his friends. During the song, all the guys sing about is what they did sexually, and asking how good she was, and all that stuff, whereas Sandy and her friends sing more about the "falling in love". Sandy describes the lovely things that they did on the beach, and all the fun they had playing around in the water and watching sunsets and such. I think this song really sets the tone for what happens later in the movie, and is foreshadowing the separation between Sandy and Danny. Another time when we see the issue of reputation is when Sandy and Danny first meet after the Pep Rally for the football team. When they first see each other, it's almost like they are genuinely happy to see each other, but then Danny takes a look at his friends, and immediately changes. He acts very stuck up and full of himself, just like his friends expect him to do, which leads into him saying some really stupid, snotty jokes to Sandy. Danny is known for treating girls like toys, and acting like he is the most important person in the relationship. He can't let this sweet little girl ruin his image! This is the first real time where we see the issue of reputation, and how the film portrays it; as something more important than love. This issue is also apparent when they go to the diner. Danny doesn't want to go in, since he doesn't want his friends to see him alone with Sandy, but she insists. Danny is a completely different person when his friends come up and sit with him. He makes jokes and rejects Sandy when she asks him if he wants to meet her parents for tea. In this particular scene, it is apparent that Danny is afraid to show who he really is. He doesn't want his friends to see him love another person. As you can see, there are many scenes in this film that really show the issue of reputation. I get it, your reputation is a big part of high school. You care a lot about what others think of you, and you want to keep your friends, but does this aspect of a reputation mean that you should lose the girl you fell in love with? I don't think so. That is why I do not agree with how they presented this issue. It teaches kids the wrong idea about how a relationship should work.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Grease is the word that you Heard
Samantha Rios4 July 2013
Grease is the word. There are many musicals in the world but not one compare to the musical that is Grease. You have the T-birds and the Pink Ladies and new incomer Sandy Olsson, who overall take the story through twists and turns. Good girl Sandy and Greaser Danny must make life-changing decisions on whether being who they are now is worth loosing the one they most care about.

Like most musicals, Grease tells their audience the story through song engaging the audience. With the song "Summer Nights" we are introduced into the background information on how exactly Sandy and Danny met during the summer. With the two stories not adding up we get a feel on the personalities of bad boy Danny and sweet and innocent Sandy. After running into each other at a pep rally for the football team, Sandy runs off crying after being humiliated by the bad boy Danny in front of his fellow T-birds and Pink Ladies. Throughout the story we see the numerous attempts by both Danny and Sandy to show one another whether it be changing from a leather jacket to a letterman jacket or dating a jock in attempts to make him jealous. Through "Hopelessly Devoted to You" and " Sandy" the couple show that no matter what they are going through now they cant and wont stop loving each other.

While the Danny and Sandy are trying to make things work, Danny's second in command Kenickie is out to beat T-birds rival gang The Scorpions in a race were they will be racing for ownership papers of the cars or what they call "Pinks". Though a series of unfortunate events and Kenickie is incapable of racing he asks his friend Danny to take his place. After winning the race and defeating their rivals we see that Sandy has been watching the race from afar. Asking Pink Ladies' Frenchy for a makeover we see that not only did Danny make the transition from leather jacket to letterman but also Sandy went from innocent to Pink Lady newcomer.

In the final scene Rydell High School has rewarded the graduating class with a senior carnival. Here we get the first look at new and improved Danny Zuko who has indeed traded in his T-bird jacket, but he isn't the only one who made a drastic change. After reassuring his fellow boys that this change in jackets didn't mean the end to their friendship, Danny is soon interrupted by the new Sandy Olsson. "You're The One That I Want" is the final song number the couple sing showing that they both changed their ways to be with each other and in the end it worked out for the best. The final number the T-birds and the Pink Ladies perform is the song, " We Go Together". This number gives the audience the final feel for the movie and the two groups of friends as they part ways.

Yes the movie isn't the most relevant and up to date movie, but it still has what it takes to be a classic. With the love story that Grease takes us on, we take a trip when not just the girl has to change for the guy but also the guy goes through endless activities to be with his one true love. This movie is one you can't get tired of. The more you watch the more the songs stick with you and with the songs it just adds in to the affect that comes with watching Grease. Grease really and truly is the word. And it's a movie that is worthy enough to be considered a classic.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Disco Hound Dog
Lechuguilla28 December 2007
Well golly gee whiz, I don't even know where to begin with this one. To its credit, it does have energy ... lots of high voltage zing and zest, hyper kinetic hubbub, in that optimistic spirit of high school days, with all that singing, dancing, and chattering like magpies. And the production design and costumes are colorful and splashy.

"Grease" also has two terrific songs that function as musical bookends. At the beginning, we get to hear "Grease (Is The Word)", sung by Frankie Valli. I've always liked that song. And near the end, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John dazzle and electrify with the snappy, pulsating sounds of "You're The One That I Want" ... "oo-oo-oo, honey". Marvelous.

Trouble is, both those songs engender a 1970's disco flavor into a film ostensibly about the 1950s. So where are all those really great oldies-but-goodies? Sha-na-na sings a few oldies, like Elvis' "Hound Dog". But the missed musical opportunities are striking.

The film's story, about high school romance, is not original. And the plot is choppy, and lacks scene transitions, or any sense of logical progression or flow. Plot points seem placed almost in random order, a result of poor script structure.

Although the film is a comedy, the jokes aren't really funny. The writers are trying too hard, and the humor comes across as forced and unnatural.

One of the worst elements of "Grease" is the "Greased Lightning" segment, which has John Travolta acting like a jerk, as he struts and prances in an auto garage. Wearing too much makeup, he comes across as a poor imitation of 1970's singer Freddie Mercury, from the 1970's rock band "Queen".

The film's casting is terrible. Most of them look too old to be high school seniors. Not for a microsecond did I think Stockard Channing was 17 years old.

What's good about this film is really, really good. And what's bad is really, really bad. But overall, "Grease" fails to engender a sense of the 1950s. Instead, it looks, sounds, and feels like an homage to the 1970s disco era.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Too slimy to be grease
mariondowning-427-46934417 January 2016
This is a sexist piece of rubbish. The girl has to get into tight clothes and talk about shaping up to be with the guy who supposedly likes her as she is (as long as his friends aren't around while she is as she is). Way to tell girls they need to be fake and put on prostitutes clothing to get a boy and way to tell boys how to treat girls and what to expect from them.

The songs and script also degrade girls. Any girl who has a boyfriend and everyone knows she is "putting out" is labeled a tramp and teased while the guys get to dance around dry humping on the pussy wagon like cave men and celebrating while sharing stories of their conquests (even fake stories i.e. that in "Summer loving" from his perspective).

A really unattractive and sleazy adult male is able to pick up a minor female student at a dancing contest purely because he's on the radio and no other adults care or notice. No sex offender registry for that obvious repeat offender with his smooth "I'm in your bedroom" line.

I'm not the first to mention this but the actors are so old most of them should have been playing the parents of school kids. Stockard Channing even had freckles obviously drawn on her face with an eyeliner pencil to make her look younger. It didn't work.

Overall the songs are catchy and if you don't listen to the lyrics you might think it's a cute love story. Listen to the lyrics and you'll see what the real message and purpose of the movie is. Encouraging young people to change themselves because they think what someone else wants is more important than what they want. A fake greasy life they will regret later dressed up in a flying car.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Grease.. a very poor film in my opinion...
mighty_magpie4 June 2007
Having seen this film I am of the opinion that it is one of the most over-rated films ever. Its basically juvenile piffle, a very weak story line is compounded by equally poor acting from the entire cast, this is a film that should never have got further than the cutting room floor.n The storyline has been done so many times and in the case of this film results in a truly awful film of epic proportions. As per usual, it aims to portray the American way of life as squeaky clean and the soundtrack is so poor, it beggars belief that the songs released into the pop charts fared so well. John Travolta proves once again what a one-dimensional actor he really is, whilst Olivia Newton John shows no ability whatsoever. I truly recommend anybody who has not yet watched this puerile trite not to bother
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Probably the worst movie ever
sorompio8 July 2007
Talking about movies without an argument, talking about nonsensical musical extravaganza, talking about glorification of frivolity, talking... Well, let the images do the talking. I just didn't catch the movie way back in the seventies and kept away from it in the eighties and nineties, but heck, you certainly run out of luck one day and you come to see this... (fill in your favorite gut revolver). As some popular character said, "we were idiots back in the fifties", and it would be great for the movie to point it out; problem is that it celebrates the whole idiocy of the times, making satire only to the clichés and actually selling the real misery of social uses and customs as nostalgic empathy. The whole macho pose on which the supposed conflict is based finally rears its ugly head in all its disgrace and there is dance and joy everywhere to enthrone it. As entertainment it also lacks punch and, of course, intelligence, for the purpose seems to be an exhibition of pseudo-romantic gags and ill-conceived phoney humour. On the other hand, the movie is excruciatingly dull even skipping the sung parts. Not difficult to categorize with an adjective or two, but from my personal point of view, the ideal film to watch while you write the note to the judge and proceed to hang yourself.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
This was a hit?
johnm_0015 October 2000
The dumbness of this film, and its mediocre production values, make its hit status an utter mystery. Like the television show, "Happy Days", "Grease" is a 70's version of the 50's. Not for a second are you lost in the decade in which the film is set. It is far too 1970's in its feel, for that. The film's only appeal comes from its two stars, the only cast members who look young enough to be in high school. The rest of the over-the-hill gang mugs and overacts, shamelessly. It is horribly directed and the musical numbers look like rejects from a much better show. The film of course isn't entirely to blame. The stage production of "Grease", is just as bad. Perhaps worse. It's all a matter of taster. So if "Grease" is the word for you, then by all means, enjoy. I didn't.
30 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Excellence, last true musical ever made
rowan_8618 February 2007
The last REAL musical ever made. A timeless film that generations will love for ever. No other musical made since had can stand up to this type of quality. Though films such as Moulin Rouge and Chicago have been made since they are not the same type of musical as this. Greese is the last in the same category as the likes of 'On the Town', 'Hello Dolly', 'The Sound of Music', 'Kiss me Kate', 'Meet me in St Louis' etc. Grease encapsulates the change between era's of film/TV. This film will always remain as one of my all time favourites! Not only does the story line interest most generations but the music is catchy and helps tell the story. The scenes are spectacular, no film today actually uses entire casts to create a scene, we rely upon computer generated crowds and copies, and thankfully Grease has none.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?