Centennial (TV Mini-Series 1978–1979) Poster

(1978–1979)

"We have to look to the past and get back to some basic principles if there's gonna be any future worth having."
Nazi_Fighter_David14 December 2008
"Centennial" is a great mini-series to discover America… It goes over a span of 200 years…It's about Pasquinel, a solitary trader with the Indians, who made his way through territory no white man has ever traveled, defending his trade and his life… It's about a man from Scotland who had come seeking solitude, but he found friendship and love… His name was Alexander McKeag… It's about the legendary Arapaho leader, Lame Beaver, who knew that the coming of the white man was the beginning of change…

"Centennial" is also about strong men, men of destiny and vision… It's also about stubborn men who only saw little in the windy, water-shy stretch of plains to stop for on their trek to a new place called Oregon…

"Centennial" is also about men of integrity like the young Mennonite named Levi Zendt who could not know it at the time that he was destined to leave the home he loved and share the dream of Alexander McKeag… It's about traders like Zendt, and soldiers like Maxwell Mercy… It's about men of honor, like Major Mercy who worked tirelessly to bring about a lasting peace… Men of vision like the stubborn German from the Volga named Hans Brumbaugh, who had walked from St. Louis to find gold… It's about the Englishman Oliver Seccombe, who would found an empire from the dream of a lifetime… A ranch that would spread from the Rocky Mountains on the west to the Nebraska border with Longhorns driven north from Texas by John Skimmerhorn and R. J. Poteet…

"Centennial is about many more characters like Clay Basket, the fiery Indian woman who shared the life Pasquinel loved best; Lise Bockweiss, the golden-haired lady of St. Louis; Pasquinel brothers whose names would strike terror into the hearts of all white men who thought of crossing the plains; Frank Skimmerhorn, the obsessed militia colonel who led a disgraceful massacre against Cheyenne chief, Broken Thumb; the frontier lawman Alex Dumire who would fall prey to a kind of crime the presence of his badge and gun could not prevent; the traveling actors, Mervin and Maude Wendell who founded its fortune power and prestige on stolen money and a murder…
29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE .....Television or Cinema
mikehess23 December 2004
I first read the book Centennial in 1976 and was absolutely amazed at how mere words seemed to actually take me back in time. The formation of the earth, the dinosaurs, the buffalo and the native Indians and the migration westward left me spellbound. I found myself re-reading chapters just to be with the characters again. And then, in 1978 NBC television somehow managed to bring all this adventure right into our homes. In anticipation of this event, I purchased a new technological marvel just introduced to the public, an RCA VCR player. This thing weighed a ton and cost an incredible amount of money at that time, but it was worth it. I have since purchased the VHS to be able to view this masterpiece whenever I please. How good is this movie-mini series? In my opinion, it's the BEST MOVIE EVER MADE, bar none. Being able to watch 20 plus hours of character development entwined with an engrossing story is pure enjoyment. How many others films have you ever watched and felt as though you actually knew these people. And felt a sense of sadness when they died off. Robert Conrad, Richard Chamberlan, Alex Karas, Gregory Harrison and Dennis Weaver gave performances of a lifetime, as did all the other talented people in the movie. Just think of all the stars that participated in making this mini-series. Can you imagine a studio trying to do that today? It will NEVER HAPPEN again. Besy way to enjoy the movie? Watch it with your family. Since 1999, my family and I watch this classic every year at Christmas time when the kids are on their 2 week break. We spread the entire 20 plus hours out over just 4 consecutive evenings. With mountains of popcorn closely at hand each night, we all take part, each of us quoting lines from the many characters even before they are spoke on the screen. When beginning this tradition, my youngest daughter was 9 years old and cried loudly when ever any major character had died, especially Levi Zendt. My youngest son is 4 and will have many opportunities to watch this great movie. Except for a rather weak final episode, this is the "ALL TIME GREATEST FILM EVER MADE". And one of the best stories ever told.

Who do we have to convince to put this on DVD ???
68 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great
lee-stamm1 April 2005
I strongly agree that Centennial is arguably the best mini-series ever made. The production is top drawer, with wonderful locations, costumes, musical score, cast, and direction. It is at its best from the beginning up through the cattle drive segment, and weakens somewhat thereafter, especially at the end. This is a small criticism, however. The one particular thing that has always stuck in my mind over the years is the incredible, standout performance by Robert Conrad as Pasquinel. For most of his career, his best work was in lighter vehicles such as "The Wild, Wild West," and never distinguished by any particular depth of characterization. In the role of Pasquinel, however, Conrad delivered a performance of which any actor could be justly proud. He gives the character all of the realism and believability one could possibly want, and conveys the qualities, both good and bad, which make Pasquinel such a compelling figure. If only for that performance alone, Centennial is well worth watching.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Great Story Told Well
d_maccarter21 November 2004
I read the book Centennial in 1976 when it was first published in hardback. Its the only book I ever read that kept me up all night. A truly amazing story of the west, as it really was.

I missed the mini series in 1978 for some reason and just happened to see it available in the public library and took it in in one gulp. All I can say is WOW! What have I been missing all these years. Thank god for home video.

This is as close to a perfect presentation of Michener's novel as I could ever imagine. If you are in love with the west and it's history you will love every minute you spend watching this delightful program. It's characters capture every nuance of those in the novel. Romance, treachery, adventure, loyalty, history, the whole spectrum of humanity is here and well done too. And a word about the cast. How was it possible to assemble such a grand group. Just terrific. The only thing done lately to compare with this is "Gods and Generals".

If you love history I recommend it to you.
37 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Centennial is soon to be available on DVD
slfreedjafreed11 April 2007
Centennial is the greatest mini series ever produced and one of the finest westerns ever made, others being the Lonesome Dove series, Into The West and Dances With Wolves. The clothing for Centennial was authentic in detail (I have purchased items of like clothing from those who made some of the clothes for Centennial) and the locations were breathtaking. I read where Pasquinel was Robert Conrad's favorite role and that he displays a photograph of himself as Pasquinel on his piano. Centennial is truly "IT" for any western or western history buff. I have owned a decent copy recorded off of television (quite old) and have the boxed set on VHS. The GOOD NEWS is, I ran across information on line that the DVD boxed set of all 12 episodes is due out soon. The info didn't elaborate but I would assume (hope) that it will include lots of behind-the scenes and cast interviews. We'll see! Anyone interested can look for it on line or ask their local retailer. Once it's out I'm sure the public will be made aware of it. What a great thing to finally have a flawless, digital copy of this outdoor masterpiece....one that has no chance of being "eaten" by my player and has an indefinite shelf life with no color fading, age lines appearing or sound quality reduction occurring. HAPPY VIEWING!!!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Centennial - The very best that I've ever watched
kespenn6 August 2006
I was in my senior year of high school when Centennial came on TV, and from the very first episode - I was hooked. I'd never read the book (but, I did afterwards), so it was all new to me and I just loved it. The whole story line, the characters and the actors and actresses that played them - it was just an incredible TV watching experience that I don't think has ever been equaled by anything else I've watch in all these years.

Robert Conrad, has always been one of my all time favorite actors, but as Pasquinel he was at his very best. Richard Chamberlain as McKeag - I loved his Scotsman's brogue. Barbara Carrera as Clay Basket loved by two men any woman would have been happy to have, and later torn by the love for her children. Richard Crenna's Colonel Skimmerhorn was a character to both hate and gleeful when he was disgraced. Dennis Weaver as R.J. Poteet on the cattle drive was so level headed and brave. Brian Keith, another all time favorite - I just loved Sheriff Dumire and his belief in law and order. Chad Everett, also another all time favorite of mine, his Major Maxwell Mercy was such a compassionate soldier just trying to do his job but also keep his integrity when it came to the issues of the Indians and the reservations. Gregory Harrison was new to me, but as Levi Zendt he was a wonderful character. I could go on and on about all of the characters, but I won't. Well, except I have to mention Mark Harmon - good lord but he was so young and good looking back then and just starting out. When each beloved character died, I would feel so sad - for some I even cried, like I had just lost one of my own friends, that's how immersed I became in the story and the characters.

There were so many great characters, with an incredible cast. Over the years I found myself keeping track of most of the actors/actresses and their careers - like Mark Harmon for example - I think he is aging very well. I loved Brian Keith in Hardcastle & McCormick, and I cried when they reported his death.

As soon as video tapes became so popular I waited for Centennial to come out in video - and as soon as it did, I bought it. Whenever today's news and world chaos gets me down, and I feel the need for some mental piece - I sit down and put in a tape and I'll go back in time, to when America was young. My parents also like to borrow the video set.

What I would like to know now is when will it come out in DVD! My video tapes are getting a little worn. It has to come out in DVD! What is taking them so long? Everything else is coming out in DVD, why not Centennial? In fact I was checking to see if it was out in DVD yet, when I came across this website and read everyone's comments. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who loved the show so much.

And now after all this reminiscing, I think I'll have to get the tapes back from my parents so I can spend a weekend watching it again.

Kelly Lake Ariel, PA
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
TV's greatest masterpiece
vinylsiding8 May 2002
In excess of 20 hours, when I had finished watching it, I wanted to start back at the beginning and see it all over again. Since this is a long mini-series, the characters and storyline are well developed. As characters grow old and die off, you feel a sadness that one rarely feels for a TV or movie character.

The lack of total good in any character adds to the realism. For instance, you find Pasquinel (Robert Conrad) very likeable, despite the fact that he is unfaithful to whomever he marries. As in real life, good does not always triumph over evil, as we painfully see when Pasquinel's "half-breed" son, Marcel, attempts to peacefully give himself up, and it brutally murdered.

And one better be prepared to have a whole box of tissues at hand during a most incredible scene where the army attacks a small tribe of Indian elderly, women and children and a young messenger boy evolves from hating the Indians to finding out very quickly that he does possesses a conscience and how painful that can be. The other scene which will haunt you long after it is over is where Lost Eagle stares tearfully into space as he holds a worthless trinket given to him by the U.S. government in exchange for his giving up his land and, more symbolically, his entire way of life and history.

The best way that I can explain how good Centennial is to put it this way: if the first few hours were chopped out and released as a movie the same year as Dances With Wolves, Centennial would have easily won the Academy award for Best Picture.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Absolutely the best
roz195327 July 2004
I agree with all comments regarding a DVD of this film. It is by far the best mini series ever.

Brilliant acting. Amazing photography. The costumes were incredible. And well researched.

The portrayal of the Native American people was very well done.

This should now be available for new generations to enjoy and understand how hard life was back then. The pioneer spirit should be allowed to live on in this creation.

The whole crew on this venture must be very proud of this masterpiece.

DVD NOW PLEASE
44 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
If You Love History
Richard Royal8 August 2008
If you love history, you will love this film. How many times have you watched a film or miniseries and wondered, what happened next? You need not worry with Centennial. As a historian I hate loose ends. There are none here.

We so often forget what "history" a geographical place has. This ties the history of a specific place through multiple eras very nicely. It follows the history of the individuals and families that inhabit an area from the late 1700s through the 1970s.

This story happens to takes place in Colorado. But even if you do not like the west or frontier stories, it does not matter. The story will captivate you. Every place has a history like this.

I watched it as a teenager in the 70s, taped it on VHS in the 80s and finally have it on DVD now. My wife and I watched it in under a week--all 21 hours! The acting and cinematography are good, but secondary--the story will enthrall you!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Mammoth, landmark miniseries, the likes of which will not be seen again.
Poseidon-320 April 2009
Staggering is a good word to describe this mammoth, epic miniseries which traces the birth of a Colorado town from the first time a white man sets foot on in up to the present day (of the time it was filmed.) The story is multi-generational, beginning with French-Canadian trapper Conrad and continuing on with his descendants and those of people he knew. Conrad and best pal Chamberlain's story eventually gives way to Pennsylvania Dutch pioneer and trader Harrison's, which in turn passes the torch to Dalton and his 6,000,000 acre ranch and then to town sheriff Keith and so on, before landing in 1978 with Janssen's bid at a political career. Along the way, many vignettes depict the vast changes, conflicts and hurdles, which affected the birth and growth of the town and its inhabitants. The cast is nothing short of jaw dropping with a plethora of notable television series stars appearing for either long or short stretches of time. Conrad, Chamberlain, Everett, Harrison, Weaver, Karras and Keith all get strong roles that afford them the chance to shine. There are several women, however, who also get to play terrific parts. Carrera is unforgettably gentle and beautiful as an Indian maiden, Zimbalist is wondrous as Harrison's determined wife and Redgrave has one of the best parts of her career as an English girl who transforms over time to a powerful and important pillar of the community. Naturally, there are a few folks who don't measure up in the acting department as well. Some of the smaller roles are essayed by people with limited thespian ability and McHattie is outrageously bad and over the top as Conrad's rebel Indian son. Also, Carlson, as Conrad's white daughter, and Raines, as his Indian one, have flat, unenthusiastic voices and give bland performances. Mostly, though, the cast is strong, although several actors are forced, due to the longevity of their characters in the storyline, to endure some really obvious, even shoddy, age makeup. Sadly, some folks, such as former screen hunks Walker, Rivero and Williams, get short shrift and barely appear at all. Among the more memorable sequences are Harrison and Zimbalist's trouble-plagued trip west, Weaver's taxing and dangerous cattle drive, the scheming of actors Zerbe, Nettleton and McKeon and the love story between Redgrave and her ranch hand Atherton. In truth, the miniseries could have ended one night early, with the prophetic words of Redgrave to her grandson, but it did not and so a lengthy and somewhat dull finale included Griffith, Janssen and Gless chewing over environmental issues with shady Vaughn. Exciting and dramatic sequences of the earlier hours segue into watching a red Ford truck follow Griffith and Gless around a muddy construction site, as if the driver and his pal could hear anything anyway! This, paired with the needless and protracted flashbacks, leaves a mildly unpalatable taste in the mouth. However, the bulk of the series is terrific, capped off by some great musical scoring by John Addison. Somewhere in the mêlée of period St. Louis (actually a redressed Augusta, KY riverfront) is teenage George Clooney as an extra townsperson! And where else can one find Dr. Kildare, Dr. Joe Gannon, Dr. Gonzo Gates, Dr. Sam Loomis, Dr. Sam Quinn, Dr. Buck James, Dr. Richard Kimble and Dr. Bobby Caldwell all in the same program?!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Michener Should Be Proud
j-lacerra28 September 2006
Having read the book years ago, I readily agreed when a friend offered to loan me the entire box set of this wonderful mini-series. Much too long and ponderous for a movie, the mini-series venue is perfect for this rolling story.

Casting is primarily with TV actors, and is almost flawless. The only exceptions I noted were Sally Kellerman and, just maybe, Donald Pleasance. Kellerman seems too modern and odd looking for her role, and Pleasance doesn't quite seem the scroungy wagon master he's playing.

Other than that, these directors get the performances of lifetimes from their players. I was especially impressed with Robert Conrad as Pasquinel. After always thinking of Conrad as a lightweight, pleasant in light roles, here he shows a range and conviction I did not know he could muster. Chamberlain, a mini-series pro, shines as McKeag. Stephanie Zimbalist is a delight, as are Barbara Carrera and Christina Raines. Dalton is as properly dashing as Karras is properly lumbering. Crenna is as wildly evil as he can be. Almost all the players are great; a tribute to good direction.

I'd have given this series ten stars if not for the miscasting mentioned above and the matter of make-up. While the facial aging make-up is (barely) adequate, the character's bodies never age. All are just as trim and muscular in old age as in youth. Right up to his death McCeag is slim and wiry, as Everett is muscular and without paunch. The women's age is achieved by wardrobe merely covering their bodies, but the men look too young.

This is a great and intelligent series which thoughtfully treats all historical groups fairly. A must see!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Fantastic
raykilleen25 July 2008
Absolutely the finest thing ever done on TV. Book was great, and mini-series beyond description it was so good. I teach American History and show parts of it from time to time during the year. My students love it! I have former students stop by once in awhile and one of the first things they ask is I still show CENTENNIAL. When I put it on the weekly agenda they get very excited.

Great story and much of it is historically accurate (Rendevzous, French fur traders, Skimmerhorn's Raid {Sand Creek Massacre}, Jim Bridger, cattle drives just to name few.

Robert Conrad, Richard Chamberlain, Sally Kellerman (gorgeous), etc. do a great job of acting. I am buying the DVD when it comes out as a gift for my grown son. He is 35 yrs old and loves it as much a I do.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Awesome!
Flamio19 August 2002
I watched WAY TOO MUCH T.V. in the 70's, but for lucky dogs like you that's cool! Centennial was probably my favorite mini of all of them! It covered generations of a few main families through 200yrs in Colorado, and was narrated awesomely by David Janssen, and had a mystery to boot! I don't have enough space to review this whole series, but here are a few notes: Yes, Robert Conrad and the first few episodes were the best in my opinion, and in the opinions of others on this site. His portrayal of Pasquinel was incredible. A French Canadian coming to America to hunt beaver and start a life here is the American dream! Just ask Arnold if you doubt me! Roots, Shogun (Richard C. was in that one too), and Shaka Zulu also were all excellent mini-series in this vein but Centennial hit home here in America. Not many of us can relate to the other three biggies, but Centennial was U.S. all the way. Other big name actors that did a great job in this were Andy Griffith, Alex Karras (Hans Brumbaugh, man he did a great job for a new actor!), Dennis Weaver, Dan Janssen, Crenna, Carrera, Chamberlain, Kellerman, Keith, Dalton, Vaughn, I could go on forever! A POWER cast indeed! What in the heck was the budget on this thing! Some library's have this, rent it now! Hopefully AMC will show this next year uncut for it's 25th Anniv. and hopefully it will also come out on a DVD set! I'll be the first in line!!! FLAMIO
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The most memorable miniseries ever
muximas13 January 2003
When looking up what Timothy Dalton had done over the years I saw Centennial in the list... immediately it brought back a lot of memories. I saw the series when I was 12 years old and I was very impressed with it. The way Pasquinel ventured out alone into the unknown and made a living by trading beaver skins, the way he meets his indian wife, the friendship he develops with Alexander McKeag, The honest Levi Zendt, the great cattle drive... after all those years those things are still in my memory and I recommend this series to everyone who has a chance of seeing it.

I hope they put it on DVD because this is one series I would really like to show to my children, I am sure they would love it just as much as I did back then.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Now on DVD!! Best mini-series ever made
mspeed448 August 2008
I will join the list of saying this is the best mini-series every put on film and, today, any part of it would make an excellent movie! To say every actor plays his/her role to perfection is probably too much, but it comes close. The picture of the American west is absolutely beautiful, so very realistic, so much detail. Robert Conrad and Richard Chamberlain are the ancestors we all wish to have. This book should be required reading for every high school kid in the USA (well, Michener wrote several that should be required reading!!) Gregory Harrison and Stephanie Zimbalist are beyond description in their roles as a young couple going west. While some find fault with the environmental ending, it is very true to what is happening in the west today--remember when this was written and filmed. Also, if you are fast, you can see a very young George Clooney in St Louis! Buy the DVD! This movie will never be made again. Watch it with your kids!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Best TV MiniSeries of all Time!!
lifeontheisland2 October 2006
Centennial is a great mini-series....the best ever made for TV. The history portrayed, and the characters, are rich and fascinating. You really feel like you get to know these characters and become vested in their life stories. This story of the formation of a city over 200 years is interesting and it really makes one think about the history of other cities all over the world... Who came before us? What were they like? What kind of lives did they live? If you've ever asked yourself these questions, then Centennial is a wonderful story to watch. I highly recommend!!! One of my favorite parts of the story is about the French trapper, and the exiled Scot that he saves from the Native Americans. They form a life long friendship and share many things, including a love for the same woman. Complications arise and the story moves on to the next generation. Other favorite parts of the story are a cattle drive from Texas to Colorado, and on the wagon trail to Oregon when Levi Zendt 'sees the elephant'. A superb accomplishment in television from the 1970's! The end still makes me cry every time I see it.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Centennial
basebill10 July 2005
I agree with Tia to the extent that the series is wonderfully drawn and realized. Many of the performances are simply perfect(Conrad, Chamberlain, Everett etc.) I find it only second to "Shogun" in the mini-series genre. The development of fictional characters using the reality of events is wonderful. When I watch it, it always reminds me of how much I miss David Jannsen and how good Andy Griffith can be. In my opinion, it is the best thing Robert Conrrrad ever did. It may also be the the best acting I have seen from Barbara Carrera. The continuing downer , however. of epics like this is the complete destruction of the native American's way of life. It was an inevitable event once the settlers started to move west but it never becomes easy to watch. The mind set of people in that era is almost incomprehensible in this day.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
THE SINGLE BEST SERIES EVER MADE
stock_yard200023 November 2003
Centennial is the single best mini series ever made, if not the best movie ever made. Nothing else can nor will ever compare with it. AND before someone states Lonesome Dove is better... it isn't. The "Cowboys with John Wayne was better than that. Centennial has totally believable characters doing what they were born to do... they all work together to tell a rich full story. Rich character development and true character development on all fronts... If you have never seen this, watch it with your family [everyone can watch from 6 to 116) and remember it for what it truly is, a true tale of people doing their best when times were at their worst. If only there were movies still being made like this. All people want now are shoot em ups or sex movies, neither of which I like. This is a movie people can sit down and watch, and feel good afterwards.

The only other true treasure I can think of is the 10th Kingdom... silly? yes of course but it is really fun to watch and enjoy. I may be Chineese but I can appreciate art and but of these movies are that. The Lost Kingdom is another of my favs, but not that good... And don't talk about the 9th Kingdom, Jonnie D. really scares me with that one...

Maybe someone should start a poll to get this released on DVD. There are so many totally BAD movies/series out on DVD. And yet this is not available. WHY doesn't the studio that made this release it on DVD? All I have is the 12 volume set on VHS, and it's almost worn out!

Television came a long way when this was released, but has regressed backwards. Even my people were shown for their part in this truly American saga. But... If only...

Tia
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Rolf Steinemann
xlv-110 September 2007
For me absolutely the Best Story I ever saw on Tele. I'm searching for the DVD ever Since. So sad they don't bring it again on Tele. The History of Colorado, or better America, in a real amazing way brought on Film. I really wonder if it gets on DVD one Day. I just keep watching in those Forums and in Video and Musicstores from Time to time. Just saw Dances with Wolves again, and the Making of it. I just love it like that. It would be wonderful to have also the Collection of Centennial in my Collection. Thats a Movie You have to own and watch from time to time again. So enough Words, it's not easy for me to write 10 Lines.

Cheers Rolf ;o)
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
I'm from Colorado
smblindsey11 August 2006
and actually grew up in the town about 15-20 miles east of the actual town Centennial was based on, and where a lot of it was filmed: Orchard, Colorado. I wasn't born until about a year or so after it was made but several people I know were extras. I work in a law firm and our private investigator was on the Sheriff's Dept. back then doing security and met Conrad and Keith; he actually sat in Keith's trailer and had a few beers with him. How cool is that? I saw the movie for the first time about a month ago and was so enthralled with it; mostly because I recognized the South Platte and later, as Centennial grew, I recognized the town of Orchard. As soon as I was done with the movie I went and checked out the book and am almost done with it. Tuesday I drove to Orchard and went down the main street; the east side of the street still has the look of "Centennial" though the buildings are run down. There is a cafe on the corner, however I don't know if it's still open or not, but there's a sign above the door that states "Centennial Cafe." The church that was so important in the movie doesn't have a cemetery in front of it like in the movie, but the church is/was real. My friend's dad could remember playing there as a child, when it was just an abandoned church. Then it was spruced up for the movie. Her dad later died and when she was planning her wedding they decided to get married on the steps of the church, as a sign of respect for her dad's childhood. However, about a week before the wedding the church caught fire. It's still standing, but was gutted and ruled not safe to conduct the ceremony.

According to the map inside the book, I live on part of the Venneford Ranch. :-) I live about a half hour northeast of Orchard.

I meant to write about the book and the movie, but I wanted some of you to know that it's really been an eye-opener, for someone who's lived so close to "Centennial" all their lives and never really know the history. And to recognize that some of the people and stories James Michener "created" he created out of true events...events that I heard growing up.

Of course, "Centennial" is not to be confused with the real Centennial, Colorado, which was only incorporated as a town within (I think, don't quote me on this) the last 10-15 years, possibly 20, but I really think Centennial has only been a town, basically a suburb of Denver, since about 1996 or so. I think. :-) I highly recommend the movie, the book, and, if you're ever in Colorado, a drive along I-76 where you can get off at Julesburg, Crook, Iliff, Sterling, Atwood, Merino, Hillrose, Brush, Fort Morgan, Weldona, Wiggins and Orchard and you can experience the South Platte River and the surrounding area.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Living in Colorado
balata967832 December 2008
This movie is one of the reasons I moved to Colorado. In fact, I married a lady from Centennial, Colorado! We live in Highlands Ranch, very near to the mansion used in the movie. I found the DVD's through the Blockbuster Online ticket store and watched all 26 hours in about 3 weeks. Compared to the 3 months of regular broadcasting, (10/01/1978) to (2/04/1979). Can you imagine spending $25 million in the 1970's for a TV miniseries in today's economy of 2008, some 30 years later? With the one hundred stars in the show, I guess that's where some of the money went? Probably that all the scenes were shot on location had an economic impact on the budget, but I think that is why the piece is so beautiful. It brought back all the memories of why I moved here and how ironic it is to find my lady in the same namesake.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An unforgettable cinematic experience!
rhenrikson22 March 2006
I watched this program when it first aired on television and many times since.I believe it to be one of the most comprehensive stories told about American History of all time. Currently I'm reading the Novel by James Michener which has re-kindled my appreciation and fondness of the primary characters in the story. Even though the book goes into far more detail, the Mini Series follows the story line quite faithfully. I'm hoping to add this wonderful work to my DVD library as soon as I can. This is truly one of those movies that can be viewed again and again without growing tiresome. Anyone who loves history or has an interest in the "Old West" is sure to like this Movie. Also of note is the fact that the role Richard Chamberlain played as Alexander McKeag helped to secure his title of the "Mini Series King" as many great roles were to follow in his acting career. Other strong performances were given by Robert Conrad, David Janssen, and William Atherton to name a few. Even though the Town and characters in the story are fictional, they accurately depict how the region developed from the beginning of recorded human history though present time in an area close to Denver, Colorado. This is a good Film for the whole Family to watch together.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
one of the best mini-series
johnmovies-329 July 2008
AT LAST!! It comes out on DVD today. This is one of the best miniseries ever. At 6 discs it is a long one but worth the viewing. Aside from the softness of the ending it is a well written, well acted, well directed and generally smoothly moving series with few dead spots. Robert Conrad is excellent as Pasquinel and Alex Karras does his best acting as "Potatos" Brumbaugh. Basically this work covers over 200 years in the history of an area in Colorado, the central town of which became known as Centennial, from the trappers and Indian wars to the early settlers to the modern ranchers. Mudh of it was filmed at Alamo Village in Texas but there are enough scenic spots used in Wyoming and Colorado to make it somewhat majestic. Do yourselves a favor and rent or buy this one. It is the best miniseries from a Michener novel.
Childhood rediscovered
pzbjr4 November 2007
When I came to the USA as a child of 7 I had to learn much about this country and its history on my own. Havign hard working Euopean parents and a lack luster school system left many unanswered questions for me. I learned to truly appreciate history through mini-series such as this, North& South, Blue and the Grey and Dances with Wolves. While facts would eventually be learned in college. As a child, shows like this one really captured my imagination. To this day I love history and crave its magic and mystery.

I would Highly recommend this for families of younger children to get them engaged in this country's history and to grow an appreciation for what our ancestors went through to make this country what it is today. Maybe we can make a dent in the Britney/Paris/Madonna bull sh*t they see today.
Second to none
ekrapton1 June 2007
I totally agree with all of the writers here for all of their comments. You'll never see another like it. I read the book and was engrossed by it and couldn't put it down. I still watch it on tape. I only wish the original would be shown and done on DVD. Once Ted T. got his hands on it he cut about 6 hours out as it was 26. This mini was in production as it was being shown as I recall. I can remember not being able to wait for the next chapters! To this day I cannot pick a favorite chapter. And we are talking about 25 years later. When I got married in the mid 80's my wife was into Shogun 'cause of Chamberlin. When I turned her on to Cenntenial she couldn't believe it and it became her favorite too. We both cried when both Pasquenel and McKeeg died. I would be just shocked if I ever found someone who didn't just totally enjoy it. I am just seeing this web site for the first time and enjoy it. From what I see by the comment years I'm a little late in commenting but wanted to anyway.