Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) Poster

1,941 Reviews
The Force will be with you, always.
SantiagoDM127 July 2018
"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

Pre review:

Its writing started in January 1973, "eight hours a day, five days a week", George Lucas said by taking small notes, inventing odd names and assigning them possible characterization... After many drafts, he finally came to a satisfactory conclusion.

Then, Lucas presented Star Wars to the United Artists, but they refused to budget the film, so he went to Universal Pictures, the studio that financed American Graffiti; however, it was rejected, as the film concept was "too strange".

Suddenly, Alan Ladd Jr -head of 20th Century Fox- appeared, a man that trusted in Lucas' genius. And that's how Star Wars became a reality.

The shooting of the movie was full of mishaps, problems with practical effects never done before, a bad first edit of the movie, but that didn't stop George from fulfilling his Space Opera. Due to those setbacks, Fox Studios began to put pressure on Lucas to finish the movie. Finally, the movie was done. On the eve of Star Wars release, 20th Century Fox, George Lucas and his cast and crew braced themselves for the worse. One way or another, May 25, 1977 would be a day they would never forget...

Review:

Star Wars is a modern tale of mythic adventure. It follows the journey and growth of the protagonist: Luke Skywalker. His journey of discovery is set amidst a larger struggle between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance; both parties are embroiled in a civil war. The Empire is comprised of corrupted power within a small group of leaders. These sullied leaders abuse their power over the masses with impunity. It is oppression and repression of the masses. The Empire wants to destroy the hope of the rebellion to ensure the small group of leaders can keep their power...

One of the most important features of the movie are the special effects. The use motion control was even superior to Stanley Kubrick's revolutionary masterpiece: "2001: A Space Odyssey" thanks to the creation of The Dykstraflex, the first digital motion control photography camera system developed for Star Wars on 1976. Along with an incredibly iconographic character and production design, the movie became stylistically unique.

The story and the characters are original and relatable. R2-D2 and C-3PO: the astromech as the optimistic adventurer's desiring to move forward. In direct opposition C-3PO, the protocol droid filled with doubt and reservations. Luke Skywalker, the brave hero, often haunted by doubts and hopes about his future journey. Obi-Wan Kenobi, the wise master and moral guidance of our hero. Han Solo, the rebellious smuggler whose personality represents tenacity. Leia, the damsel "in distress", a fearsome princess and general. Finally, Darth Vader, the most iconic character in the franchise, the merciless tyrant in a black suit, representing evil and final conflict of the journey.

The film score presents an emotional resonance trough a romantic 1930s Hollywood orchestral score that was commissioned for composer John Williams, who succeeded to create a haunting constellation of operatic leitmotifs.

The visual composition is authentic, as Lucas wanted a nostalgic "filtered look" so he kept changing key lights for a "flashing" effect. He used a loose, "nervous" frame, as in newsreels. The dramatic center was displaced, deflecting the eye to background activity, which in later films would include poetically changing weather. This first film gradually turned darker, following a symbolic color scheme where organic brown and warm gold yielded to high-tech black, white, and steely gray." This is authenticity is reflected in it's most iconic shot: the 'Binary Sunset' sequence, which establishes the narrative through-line of the story and the world it takes place in, the main value of the scene lies in how powerfully and economically it develops Luke's character: As the suns begin to slowly sink in the evening sky, he gazes towards the horizon, his sense of longing for something more is palpable. Taking things further, he goes on to squint into the distance as if he could see his new future just out of reach, and for the first time we get to see him not as a kid, but for as a new hope.

Books such as "The hero with a thousand faces" by Joseph Campbell structured the story, The War of Vietnam inspired the battle between the Rebels and the Empire, the lifestyle of buddhist monks characterized the Jedi, real shots of warplanes made the space battles real, Kendo foreshadowed the epic lightsaber duel, Akira Kurosawa's storytelling influenced the focus on minor characters, Fritz Lang's it's iconic protocol droid and John Ford westerns determined it's soul.The fascination with filmmaking and anthropology are the components that allowed Star Wars to be compelling and human, besides being located on a galaxy far, far away.

136 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classics, phenomenal and arguably the best sci-fi flick masterpiece!
ivo-cobra823 April 2016
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) is a classic phenomenal arguably the best sci-fi film in trilogy away, the one that started all and arguably changed the face of cinema forever. I love this film is actually my number 1 favorite film in the franchise and it is George Lucas masterpiece - the man who make this film happening. He wrote and Directed him self, I love this film to death! I love everything that is in A New Hope. Before I go in to this movie I want to say after watching the new awful horrible movie Episode VII The Force Awakens, I decide to re watch the original Star Wars Trilogy and I have always loved A New Hope and I always will. This was the first film in the trilogy that I have saw as a kid and that I remember. Star Wars are starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.

The plot is actually more about Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star. It is a mission returning the plans of Death Star to the Rebel Alliance, while Galactic Empire want's them back and it is lead by Darth Vader (David Prowse). This movie is what it is, a perfect 10, because it takes the vision of one of the most imaginative directors on Earth, and realizes them almost perfectly with all the tools that fit the task -- actors, stunts, puppetry, models, and Special Effects.

Star Wars is a film that I have watch it now and I will always watch it , because how much I really, really enjoy this film. This fun, pure joy, entertaining and truly a great film is like a classic, I recommend this film to any fan of the Star Wars trilogy, my favorite will always be A New Hope. This was the film that I have saw the first time as a kid and it grow on me. I love introduction when C-3PO and R2-D2 are walking trough the desert on planet Tatooine and are captured by Jawa traders, who sell them to moisture farmers Owen and Beru Lars and their nephew, Luke Skywalker. Here is the first time we met the character Luke Skywalker. This is the scene where C-3PO is walking trough the desert him self and than he saw someone far away and yells for help. I love this scene and it is the scene I remember from childhood.

Which is your favorite character? My favorite character of all time is Luke Skywalker and I really love him so much. My second favorite character will be Han Solo but Luke Skywalker will be the ultimate hero of the galaxy for me.

I love this flick, I love the end battle on Death Star, Luke joins the Rebel assault squadron and Luke becomes one of the few surviving pilots. Vader leads a squad of TIE fighters and prepares to attack Luke's X-wing fighter, but Han returns and fires on the Imperials, sending Vader spiraling away. Helped by guidance from Obi-Wan's spirit, Luke uses the Force and successfully destroys the Death Star seconds before it can fire on the Rebel base. I love that scene.

I love John Williams score for Star wars which is the best score ever! It is an excellent score makes an actions scenes more exciting and more intense. George Lucas directed this movie well and did an excellent job been a writer as the same time been the director, the pacing is excellent the actors does an awesome job. I also love and I have enjoyed the character Darth Vader and I also love this film because it has a happy ending. Harrison Ford , Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher did all a great joy playing their characters.

Carrie Fisher is really gorgeous in this film and for the 70's film it had great pacing and great imaginary story that dose not gives you only a snippet of the backstory. The fight scene between Darth Vader and Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi was excellent and the death scene of Obi-Wan was a honorable death. Alec Guinness did a perfect job as Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi he is excellent.

Overall: I have said everything about this film that I love I forgot to mention I love Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker (I love to death), Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2. This flick get's a perfect 10 because it is the best beloved science fiction film.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher (1956 - 2016) she was the perfect Princess Leia and she is very missed.
184 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Legendary piece of cinema
UniqueParticle16 January 2020
Only seen the original Star Wars films a few times, I tend to forget how great of a magical experience it is! A New Hope is so awesome in so many aspects especially the music and sounds of everything! It's amazing how it was made for it's time I still I don't understand how they did many things. I will admit it has a few bits that are boring but still glorious. Up until a few years ago I didn't see most of the films and I didn't understand the hype now I do in which I'm happy with them all even seen the new ones.
43 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most successful movies of all time (and I'm not talking about the Box Office take)
FiendishDramaturgy26 October 2003
What made this the hugely successful triumph it was? Was it casting, music, imagination, ingenuity, or luck?

I remember opening day at the theaters. I was old enough to remember every scene, every character, every nuance of this film; having committed it to memory forever, as if I would never again be able to see this beloved, instantly loved masterpiece.

I also remember that the HIT factor of this movie was so unexpected that you had to wait literal MONTHS to get the action figures promised on the cereal boxes. The pieces were still in the manufacturing process and we had to settle for coupons promising our toys in a few months. I wound up seeing this in the theaters a grand total of 36 times; much to my mother's dismay. She loved the movie as I did, but felt I was obsessed. Today, thirty years later, sitting here writing this review, I realize how right she was. I'm still obsessed with this movie, and with the subsequent movies which followed. I wait in great anticipation for Episode 3. I'm a fan, and I don't care what other people say about Episodes 1 & 2. I don't even mind the "prequel" factor, as the situation at the time, dictated to Lucas which movies he would do first.

See, I remember the studios saying to him that he had to choose from the three central climactic books, and trash the rest, or just trash the whole idea. He didn't exactly "sell out," he did what he had to do to get his movie...his vision...out there for us to see and experience. I admired his decision then, and I admire it now. Episodes 1-3 are being filmed now, because Lucas had the clout, the money, and the patience to give us his vision...his complete vision and not just the three center books of a 9-book series. I realize that now, there are dozens of books, but at the time, there were nine. And while most of us were happy with Episodes 4-6 and would not have missed 1-3 and 7-9, I personally am so very glad he has taken it upon himself to give us his full vision. I have enjoyed each and every installment with the same sense of awe and joy as I did this one.

The casting was the first triumph for this cinematic milestone. Ford is a charismatic and magnetic personality and portrayed Han with a professionalism that you'd expect from more seasoned actors. Sir Alec Guiness is an absolute joy as Obi Wan. His casting was precise and excellent in that part. Carrie Fisher portrayed Leia in a way that, up until then, had never been experienced. Most "princess" types before her were whining, whimpering, little snots who were incapable of anything beyond tripping and twisting their ankle in times of peril, while Fisher portrayed her character as a bold, brazen, yet sophisticated and educated woman who was aware of her surroundings and capable of defending herself and her realm with the utmost authority.

And Mark Hamil. He was perfectly cast as the whining little boy who wanted more, but was afraid to reach for it. He grows up quite well on film in these three installments, and endears himself to the audience so much the more for it. But a cast member who is almost always left out of these reviews is Peter Mayhew. Chewbacca. His character, as a supporting character to Han's, was exemplary. It's not easy portraying a walking carpet, yet holding the attention, admiration, and love of virtual millions. I am VERY happy about his being cast as Chewy in Episode 3. Couldn't happen to a more deserving...or capable...fellow. Bravo! And James Earl Jones's voice being used as the voice of Darth Vader, was pure genius. His commanding voice haunted the dreams of countless thousands of star-struck children for generations to come. I also have to say that this movie would not have had the charm it does had it not been for Anthony Daniels' C3P0. He is a gift and a joy.

The musical score by John Williams featured in this masterpiece was one of the contributing factors. But honestly, this movie's success was such a total surprise to everyone, including Lucas, that nothing could prepare the world for the aftermath of having witnessed this bona fide legend, first hand.

The story itself; replete with sub-plot after sub-plot, rich in dialog and detail, was beyond anyone's greatest expectations. Everyone, including Lucas, expected this movie to fail. It is a timeless classic, which I will not repeat here. There are too many movie reviews giving full details of the plot, and I won't be redundant beyond what I have already said.

However, that being said, there are a few points I would like to make concerning the symbolism of this endeavor. The Force is a metaphor for the psychic abilities with which we are all born. It was also a metaphor for hope and faith, dedication and commitment to the greater state of being. The Empire is said to have been a metaphor for the Germanic Nazi "storm troopers." While the Rebellion is said to have been symbolic of (what would later become) the NATO forces who defeated them.

And then there are the effects. The effects were, in 1977, so awesome; so creative; so ahead of their time, as to ensure this movie's vast success for the next forty years. George Lucas enjoys an almost god-like status among sci-fi/fantasy fans worldwide.

This movie does not rate a rating. Usually, when I say that, it is because the movie is so bad, or disappointing that I don't have the heart to rate it.

But in this case, it far surpasses any 10/10 rating I could give it.

The Fiend :.
558 out of 713 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The film that changed the world
davidsarah12 December 2004
Star wars made epic fantasy real. For a generation of people it has defined what the cinema experience is meant to be. Today it is probable that pc games will offer a deeper and more satisfying entertainment solution, but for pure visual and aural pleasure, mixed with basic emotional manipulation, there has never and will never be a better example of cinema than when star wars appeared over 25 years ago. When you think of star wars, you must remember what else was happening at the time. In America, the war in Vietnam had been lost. In the U.K economic disaster was occurring(a 3 day working week, and the army collecting rubbish). It was almost like the two most technically advanced countries in the world were going backwards. Star wars let everybody escape from that reality and reach for a future that was uncertain but ultimately good.
455 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A kid's fantasy. An Adult's memory
hmorales3 December 1998
In respect to the many kids of the seventies. I rated this movie as one of the greatest movies ever made. I was thirteen and enjoyed this fantasy getaway more than I could count. Like many other kids of the seventies you left reality before walking into the theatre and escaped into the adventure once the reels begin rolling. It provided the special effects and excitement a kid was looking for. Even today when I watch this movie on VHS I recall those times. Whenever I get the chance to watch it I feel like that eager thirteen year old over and over again. I hope the new movies will meet the same expectations of kids of this decade and the next.
234 out of 306 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where It All Began-----10/10
Sfpsycho41522 October 2003
I can never pick a favorite movie because different movies have different effects. Goodfellas is my favorite drama. Face/Off is my favorite actioner. But when it comes to pure amazement, nothing beats Star Wars. We are introduced to a whole other universe with different creatures, different lifestyles, and different history. We are dropped in the middle of an intergalactic war between an empire and a rebellion that has raged for years and left the universe in ruin. It was the most fascinating thing to see when i was eleven, but to this day i am still a Star Wars nerd.

The cast of characters includes some of the coolest, funniest, and most tragic in film, and the actors who play them fit seamlessly into this new universe. Alec Guiness is flawless as Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Jedi on the run from the evil Empire. Harrison Ford is awesome as Han Solo, a smuggler and thief who helps the gang rescue the princess. But the my favorite character of all time is Darth Vader. Not only is he the coolest bad guy, but we learn in later films why he is evil and start to feel sympathetic for him. Not to mention that badass booming voice that can make ordering a pizza sound threatening.

This was not only the beginning of the best movie series ever, but it was the beginning of my love for movies. George Lucas is a genius for being able to come up with a great story and an incredible backdrop for what was supposed to be a flop, but turned into one of the best films ever.

309 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best of Sci-Fi Times,the Worst of sf Times
Bogmeister25 December 2005
Though now known as "Episode IV-A New Hope," for many of us, namely those of us who first saw this exhilarating entertainment in theaters back in '77, this will always be the first "Star Wars." We will always think of it as just "Star Wars" - plain & simple, no pretensions, no aspirations to deep film-making or high art. This is where we first met them all: Luke, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi (old 'Ben'), Chewbacca, the 2 robots C3PO & R2D2 and, of course, Darth Vader. They were instant pop culture icons; you got the sense you'd seen them before somewhere, but were sure this wasn't possible. But they'd been there before in our minds. We'd read about them constantly in science fiction novels and short stories - tales of outer space civilizations, of spaceships zooming through asteroid belts, of exotic-looking aliens hanging around space ports. We'd dream about them at night and try to imagine ourselves in their midst; up until then, we could only imagine such things - there were no projected images to realize such dreams. "Forbidden Planet" from 1956 came close, and then there were the "Star Trek" and "Lost in Space" TV series, both hampered by dime store budgets and cheesy sets. We ate 'em up since there was nothing else. Then Lucas made it real.

I remember when I first got wind of the upcoming movie, to open in May of 1977, I think. I saw the first publicized poster and bought the novel adaptation. On the poster, a young man stood with some light sword raised, a princess at his feet, numerous spaceships flying all over the place. I was in my mid-teens and felt the first pulse of building excitement as I realized all those fantastic tales I'd been reading the past few years were going to come alive on the big screen for me. It didn't disappoint. Luke Skywalker, who stood in for all the boys pretending to be on a galactic adventure, gets swept away from his mundane desert home smack dab into the middle of an honest-to-gosh galaxy-wide civil war! The strength of the narrative is / was amazing. There are no slow spots and you can't wait for the next scene during the entire experience; and, experience is the better description for it, rather than just 'movie.' You can't wait, for example, for the moment when Luke actually meets the princess; what will happen then? It's a textbook case of an exciting narrative and what I believe makes this superior to all the sequels (knowing that many feel "The Empire Strikes Back" is superior - I must disagree).

The one character you really can't wait to see again is the ominous Vader, naturally. The instant he steps into view during the first few minutes of the story, you just know this is the ultimate villain. This is the baddest of the bad, the coolest of the cool, the supreme uber-evildoer of the entire galaxy. You just know it by his stance, by his attitude, and by the electric chill that runs through your frail form as he steps down the corridor, moving into the annals of film history with one fell swoop. You can't wait to see what he does next, what nefarious action will send someone or some planet to its doom. Sure, he seems under the control of Tarkin (Cushing) here and later, the Emperor, but you just know he's simply biding his time until he takes over the whole damn universe. There is no precedent for Vader, and nothing close to him after. He's at his best here where there's still much mystery attached to his dark frightful form, a minion of Satan and Nazi stormtroopers all rolled into one.

This was also the movie-experience which catapulted Harrison Ford (Solo) into superstardom. He seems almost childish here, not really straining to create a character, and it's this flip charm that makes it work, against all odds. He really does appear to have stepped out of the pages of some juvenile space opera, laser guns blazing, all snide remarks and foolhardy bravado. But he also becomes the older brother figure to Luke, who cannot carry the story by himself. Hamill, whose movie career began & ended with Luke, epitomizes the center of destiny for a galaxy. Both humble and arrogant, he's perfect in the role. Fisher's main surprise is that she's not all sugar and sweet as one would expect of a princess. These three characters evolved in the next two films, but they were always at their best here, icons given life for a short period - but also forever in film. The same could be said for Alec Guinness as Kenobi, a first class act all the way. You almost believe this elderly warrior could topple an empire, given enough time. Unless he runs into Vader...
155 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No words to say
Laz751 February 2000
There's not much to say about this movie this is *THE* movie that changed it all.

It's my favourite movie, and not only among the quadrilogy, among all movies; it has everything that can be great in a movie, great characters, great story, great sights, great special effects (they don't show 23 years) and a mythological background that made us dream for decades now, and that'll keep us dreaming for a long, long time. Maybe the characters I liked most in this one are Old Obi-Wan Kenobi, wonderfully portrayed by Alec Guinness, and Han Solo, Harrison Ford's first important role, they're both great.

Not to mention John Williams' wonderful score, without of it, the movie wouldn't have been this great it's a perfect mix, that's what it is!
415 out of 571 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never gets old
Ajk238619 November 2018
This movie is a cinematic masterpiece that will be loved forever. The special affects are so good for 1977 and the soundtrack for this movie is amazing.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest cinematic epic of all time begins here.
budmassey25 April 2005
Here begins the greatest cinematic epic of all time, and arguably one of the greatest stories ever told. Originally conceived as a serialized popcorn movie in the manner of the old action movies that Lucas grew up with, Star Wars surpassed even George's keen and bombastic imagination to become a central part of movie history.

There are countless tales of the making of this movie; how Lucas never believed he would get the chance to complete the series, how it spawned an industry and made the name of nearly everyone who touched it a household word. But what that does not reveal, nor do the much diminished prequels, is the sheer joy and excitement these movies generated.

It was a once in a lifetime experience. You could feel it from opening day, earlier if you paid attention to such things. We had never seen anything like it, and we are not likely to again.

This episode finds young Luke Skywalker yearning to leave the agrarian life he has with his aunt and uncle, and chase after adventure as his friends before him have already done. And what adventure there is. The galaxy is in the grip of a massive rebellion against a tyrannical and oppressive empire, but on Luke's home planet, it's something you only dare speak of in a whisper.

Along come two robots, "Droids" for short, who inadvertently involve Luke in a stellar attempt to contact an old wizard named Ben Kenobi, who lives in the caves near Luke's home.

The rest is history, and there isn't a person alive in the civilized world who doesn't have at least some awareness of the epic story that unfolds. Luke's rise from adolescent obscurity on Tatooine to a leading role in the greatest struggle of all time is told with humor, action, adventure, and always a sense of story that is unmatched on the screen or on the page.

With the completion of the prequel trilogy, these films are enjoying a renewed popularity among a generation that never saw the films on the big screen, and the theatric revivals are almost guaranteed. Go. Get some popcorn. And may the Force be with you.
236 out of 330 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Movie that Changed My Life Forever!
jay_amer1 January 2018
This movie when I first saw it as a kid absolutely amazed me and put me into a world where I wished I could be! The story is absolutely genius, the characters are amazing! Everything about this movie is amazing! George Lucas made an absolute masterpiece of a film!!!!! May The Force Be With You!
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie for audiences ever.
masterandahalf27 February 2007
Star Wars was my first non-Disney movie that I watched at the ripe old age of 8. Immediately I fell into another world, getting caught in a new mythology from a Galaxy far, far away. My siblings and I would play "Star Wars" in the back yard, saving the galaxy from evil. We would try to make my cousin into the "A New Hope" version of Princess Leia; my sister's hair was too short. My best friend at the time and I would be Jedi knights - we were 8 so it was okay to do this.

The best thing I have ever done in my life is watch the Special Edition release of Star Wars. Sitting in the front row, hearing that surround sound and experiencing Star Wars in a way that no one had experienced it since the 1970s and 1980s - it was truly magical. The image of everyone in the theater standing up and cheering when the Death Star blew up sears in my mind forever and was the highlight of my entire movie-going experience. Why can't movies do that sort of thing anymore? Why cant they cause such inspiration for imagination anymore?
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It feels so good to review films that are actually awesome!
olianajones20 January 2012
STAR WARS! Just the title evokes a reaction and what follows is a series of emotions. Passion, joy, love, laughter, anticipation and excitement. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was once such a thing as really good films, and Star Wars may be just about the greatest of them all. Without going into too much detail on the other films of the original trilogy, Star Wars may actually be the best of the three just because of its simplicity. Sure Empire takes it to a deeper level, but Star Wars is just the simple and relatable fable of Dorothy on her farm, wishing for a greater existence in life, however in Star Wars our Dorothy is Luke Skywalker, searching for his own purpose in life. We've all been there surely? That's what great films are made of.

Star Wars starts out with a small and soon to be obsolete rebel ship being pursued by the ominous and disturbingly bad guy looking star destroyer of the evil empire! The storm troopers soon board and take control of the ship, lead by their captain in command, Darth Vader. The moment Vader steps out from the smoke, stands tall above the dead rebels and his infamous breathing begins, one can easily distinguish the fact he is the most bad-ass evil villain in the history of villainy. And he is. No doubt Vader is as bad as they come, but you instantly get the sense there is more to this guy than first appearances would give. More on that later. So Vader and his storm troopers take the Princess Leia hostage, played wonderfully by Carrie Fisher, who has sent her faithful R2-D2 and his tag along C-3PO away with the plans of destroying the death star, down to tattooine, the Sahara of the galaxy. Que Luke Skywalker, played subtly by Mark Hamill, who dreams of a bigger purpose in life. The chances of fate bring him and the two droids together and from there the film catapults young Luke into the adult world of the rebellion fighting for freedom against the empire.

So many great characters to talk about in Star Wars, Han Solo takes the cake for being the best character for my money. He is cocky, smug and shows growth of character the most throughout the film. Harrison Ford created his first iconic character in the arrogant and charming space pilot, captain of the millennium falcon (another amazing creation) and best friend to wookie Chewbacca. I also really like the character of Ben Kenobi. Not only was Alec Guiness the superb choice to be cast as the character, there is so much depth and richness to the character too. Ben is just an old guy hiding in the desert of tattooine to begin with, but once he rescues Luke and they get off of tattooine with Han Solo and the gang, Ben starts opening his mouth and you really get the sense that this guy was once a really formidable Jedi, and still is to an extent. The real power of the force lies within his voice, within his wisdom and advice, which are truly inspiring, not only for Luke, but for the viewer too. Not only is Ben a great mentor and adviser, he is a bad-ass. His climatic duel with Vader is not only thrilling but also insightful, as Ben willingly sacrifices himself, realising he will pave the way for Luke to become a Jedi and save the galaxy. Awesome stuff.

Special effects are also a triumph in this film. Everything from the glow of the lightsaber to the fantastic final battle of the death star at the climax of the film all come together in a crescendo of beautiful storytelling. It isn't just effects for the sake of effects, they are in aid of the story and help enhance it. Also, the score of Star Wars is truly memorable and without a doubt, the opening credit sequence of the film along with its famous score makes for a thrilling film moment every viewing.

Star Wars has so many great themes involved, but as Ben realises when he surrenders himself to Vader, it is all about the bigger picture. Its about the future, its about growth and learning, coming of age and of course, Han shot first. Star Wars might just be the perfect film of all time.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
May the Force be with you!!
lance-walsh31 March 2012
I've seen "Star Wars", I don't know HOW many times and I just never get sick of it. It's one of my favorites and one of the greatest movies of all time. A movie that's the perfect combination of great special effects, a great story and memorable characters. All these movies that have been trying to make another "Star Wars" over the past two decades generally overlook exactly what made this movie so great in the first place. They tend to just focus on the sets and special effects and overlook the story and characters. George Lucas took great care on all three. A classic movie that will continue to be loved decades from now. Unlike all the Hollywood, big-budget crap coming out these days, this was a low-budget film, but had more magic than all the others put together.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A milestone in film-making- a superlative sci-fi movie
TheLittleSongbird22 November 2009
I couldn't have asked for anything more. Star Wars: A New Hope had it all. If I had to sum it up in one word, superlative would be my answer. I saw the film for the first time three months ago and loved it, and since then I have watched all the Star Wars movies. I was disappointed with the prequels (Attack of the Clones was my least favourite), but this, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back were perfection.

I have to say that the film looks absolutely amazing even after thirty plus years, with highly imaginative sets and dazzling special effects. And the action sequences were superbly choreographed and brisk, the Death Star climax was a knockout. The music by John Williams is absolutely outstanding, by far one of his more exciting and rousing scores. The story is fast-paced, intelligent and has an essence of sophistication, and the screenplay is sharp and decisive.

And the performances were flawless. In the prequels I had problems relating to some of the performers, namely Hayden Christensen as Anakin. Here, all the actors played their parts with superlative skill. Alec Guiness, one fine actor and will be sorely missed was a standout, likewise with Peter Cushing and Harrison Ford(hilarious here). Carrie Fisher was a fine Princess Leia, spunky, beautiful and sexy, and Mark Hamill was a completely likable Luke. And the villain Darth Vader, without doubt one of the best and in-depth villains in cinematic history, and James Earl Jones's deep booming voice was perfect for the character.

All in all, a definite sci-fi classic, that blew me away. 10/10 Bethany Cox
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Movie that changed the way we make and look at movies
mjsjsmith29 May 2005
This has been by far the greatest movie of all time. The special effects are very fantastic especially when the movie was made before I was even born, even Return of the Jedi was made 7 years before I was born, or should I say it was completed 7 years before I was born. It's like George Lucas who's the Director for all the Star Wars movies including Episode III- Revenge of the Sith, it's like he went back in time a long time ago and he traveled to a galaxy far, far away. I must say George Lucas, I am very impressed. This probably did all happen a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I just can't believe it, I mean how did he do it, this film is just ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. George Lucas can make any kind of movie he wants. He can even make a movie about what happens far before Star Wars Episode I- The Phantom Menace and he can even make a movie about what happens far after Star Wars Episode VI- Return of the Jedi. So George Lucas I have been a huge fan of Star Wars since I saw Episode IV when I was 5 and I'll be honest, I didn't really understand the storyline because I was only 5. But I was just amazed on the Special Effects, it was incredible for it's time, 1977. And when I turned 7 my mother bought the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition and it was even better with all new Advanced Digital Technology and I started to understand the storyline a lot better. And when I turned 14 I bought the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and it got much better with one of the best pictures I have ever seen in a movie. But the Number 1 thing I hated about the DVD was that in Return of the Jedi at the very end of the movie you see the ghosts of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker. I hated the fact that in the DVD you replaced Anakin Skywalker's ghost with the Anakin Skywalker from Episode II and Episode III. You shouldn't have done that George. It's great you re-modified the Trilogy and all with new technology but don't destroy the plot, because not even Luke Skywalker is going to have no idea who that person is, and you didn't make Obi-Wan Kenobi look like Ewan McGregor so I don't see why you did that. George try to re-modify Return of the Jedi that way it was before, the face that Luke Skywalker saw him as when he took off that black mask and helmet that Anakin Skywalker needs to live. Alright. That's all I have to say.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun film
gregmovies1 September 2008
Filled with great characters and a fun story, Star Wars is well deserving of its reputation as a classic. John Williams score alone makes this a film worth seeing. The characters are unforgettable and the special effects impressive for its time, but very outdated now. The different alien species are one of the best things about the film. The Cantina scene showing an array of Lucas' creations is particularly fun.

I give this film a 7/10. Looking at it subjectively, it isn't a really good film. A lot of clichés, bad dialogue, cracker jack philosophy, and unimpressive acting. Yet, for some reason, I find it hard to say anything bad about this movie. My favorite film as a child, and one I still enjoy, mostly for nostalgia.
53 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Major Classic
sterlinrivera-200028 December 2019
Star Wars: A New Hope was where it all began and for 40 years, it has been a brilliantly awesome movie and was a great way to start things off.

This film is about Imperial Forces that are led by Darth Vader (voiced by James Earl Jones and played by David Prowse) are holding a beautiful princess, Leia (Carrie Fisher) hostage as they battle the Galatic Empire. A young master, Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a captain of a spacecraft called the Millenium Falcon, Han Solo (Harrison Ford) must work together to save Leia and restore freedom and justice to the galaxy.

This was an astounding way to start off an awesome trilogy. The plot was completely flawless and stayed on point the whole time. The acing was very top notched from the three major stars, Hamill, Ford, and Fisher. The visuals and the setting is very impressive for it's time and the film never got boring at all as it had an incredibly fast pace.

The bottom line is Star Wars: A New Hope is one heck of a classic sci-fi film that is critically acclaimed and holds up very well all these years later.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A product of its time. A classic
Kingslaay20 February 2018
When Star Wars came out in 1977 there was nothing like it, it came out of nowhere and was so different. It is indeed a product of its time and would have fascinated many kids of the era.

As a film it is very simple and easy to follow. There are no big twists, dilemmas and the good forces come on top. The special effects and film have definitely aged but it has some classic elements. Darth Vader, the army of storm troopers and the mighty light saber is unlikely to be forgotten. Star Wars as a franchise clearly benefited from coming out at the right time, this was the day before competitive television, streaming services or films like Inception.

The immortality of Star Wars lies in its simplicity, linear story and vast imagination. This appealed to millions of kids who grew into adults who still loved identified their childhood with this series.
What really gets me
delibebek28 April 2009
It's what movies are all about, really - sitting in a seat that's already been worn in by a thousand other tushes, crunching as much popcorn under your feet as you crunch in your mouth by handfuls, sipping a soda that's three times as big as you would ever really need... and then there's this very quiet little opening line written on the screen, like a new way of saying "once upon a time..." and you know the fairy tale is beginning, but before you can even get ready to get interested, that fateful, stirring, uplifting and scary chord throws you deep into your seat, in time with a logo that's too big for the screen... and the rest is just a ride. That's what movies are all about and that's what Star Wars gave us.

If you never saw it in the theater, get yourself a really great audio visual system in your house, pour soft drinks on the floor (prep this a day prior to get the proper sticky effect) put too much salt and too much butter on a bucket of popcorn that's too big, and hit the "play" button on the remote.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A long time ago in a decade without CGI...
Tweekums6 October 2008
When I first watched this in the cinema I was ten, it was 1977 and I'd never seen anything like it. It had me gripped from the start when a small spacecraft flew past being fired upon by another much larger one that was so big that it seemed to take ages to pass over the viewer. Unlike the recent prequels scenes such as this weren't cluttered with excessive CGI activity but instead showed what was needed in a way that hadn't been seen before. The special effects used throughout the film were ground-breaking for the time and still look great to this day, there is something more real looking about the models used when compared to today's CGI.

The main character are all interesting and likable and the acting was all pretty good both from veteran actors like Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing who brought a suitable gravitas to the film and from younger actors Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher who brought a sense of youthful energy.

In the unlikely event that somebody doesn't know what the film is about I'll give a brief synopsis; Set in a distant galaxy the forces of the evil galactic empire are hunting down the rebels who are attempting to restore the old republic. They are about to capture a rebel ship which has the stolen plans to the empires latest weapon, the Death Star, when they are hidden in a small robot (droid) by the name of R2-D2 by Princess Leah, he escapes in one of the ships escape pods along with his companion C3PO. They escape to the desert world of Tatooine where they are swiftly captured by strange creatures called Jawas who sell the pair to a farmer who gets his nephew Luke to clean them. While doing so he stumbles across a holographic message addressed to one Obi-Wan Kenobi. While Luke is off having his dinner R2-D2 escapes seeking Obi Wan.

The next day Luke sets off to find him but shortly after doing so he is ambushed by Sand People who start ransacking his vehicle till they are disturbed by a robed figure who turns out to be Obi-Wan. He explains to Luke that he was once a Jedi knight and friend of his late father who had been killed by another Jedi called Darth Vader who had turned to the dark side of the force, they also see the full message that R2 is carrying which requests that Obi-Wan takes R2 to the planet Alderaan to get the plans to the rebels. While this is happening Vader who is on the ship searching for the plans dispatches troops to search for the two missing droids. By the time Luke returns home it is too late, the place is a burn out ruin and his aunt and uncle are dead. He decides that he will join Obi-Wan on his mission to Alderaan.

They hire a ship, called the Millennium Falcon, from a smuggler called Han Solo who needs the money to pay off a debt and avoid the various bounty hunter who are after him. When they arrive at Alderaan they find it is no longer there, it has in fact been destroyed by the Death Star in an attempt to get Princess Leah to tell them where the rebels are based. Soon after arriving the Millennium Falcon is captured after it goes to investigate a small moon that turns out to be the Death Star. While Obi-Wan is off trying to disable the tractor beam that captured them Han and Luke discover that Princess Leah is being held in the detention area and set off to rescue her... I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil the ending.

I think this is a film every body should see at least once, it might not be perfect but if it wasn't for this recent cinematic history would be quite different; it kick-started a revival in science fiction that lead to things like Battlestar Galactica, the return of Star Trek and Alien and was possibly the first "block-buster" film. In many ways it was more than just a film it was an event; everybody at my school was talking about it and little else, till one watched it you were completely out of the loop. The characters and there adventures in this and the other films in the franchise have become part of modern folklore.

These comments were made based on the video released in the '80s... so no extra CGI and Greedo didn't even attempt to fire before Han killed him.
My favourite movie
mweller28 October 1998
Star Wars is a movie that has had great social impact, a fact that has often gone unnoticed. A harbinger of a changing mood within the United States, Star Wars was one of the few movies rated General that was released in 1977. Where movies had for a decade been depicting ever more dark topics (Taxi Driver, The Exorcist) Star Wars was a lighthearted adventure. While some may decry the move back to swashbuckling from social comment, I for one celebrate the fact that Star Wars made it possible for families to go to movies together once again.
157 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GALACTIC FAIRYTALE
waynegavin120 January 2020
A farm boy A princess A rogue and A dark lord.these are all the traits of a classic fairytale,but on this occasion we are going to swap swashbuckling rapiers for laser powered sabers,we are going to swap pirate ships sailing on the seas with high powered mechanical space vehicles rip roaring through space,we are going to swap the madness of a cruel king determined on ruling his kingdom with an iron hand with the evil intent of a dark lord determined to conquer the galaxy with a dark power,magic mythical forces,robots for servants,aliens,monsters and spaceship battles all thrown into an adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat,this is the start of a trilogy that will make its mark in cinema history and the next 2 installments are fantastically intertwined as this space journey takes you to A GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.