Smokey and the Bandit (1977) Poster

My guilty pleasure film!
SmileysWorld4 November 2001
This movie,as far as I know,never won any special honors.It perhaps is not listed as one of the top 1,000,000 movies of all time.It may not be considered by many to be a great film,but I (and I am not ashamed to admit this),love this movie.Perhaps it is the charm exuded by Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed.Perhaps it is the beautiful Sally Field(she never looked better on film).Perhaps it is the comic genius of Jackie Gleason.Perhaps it is all these things rolled into one.This is the absolute "king" of redneck comedy movies(and I use the term "redneck" with the utmost affection).I am a fan of great films,but I have my guilty pleasure movies as anyone has. This one tops my list of those.Love it!
98 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best of the good old boy movies
catchick3727 July 2005
I guess one reason I love this movie is because it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. It doesn't aspire to great movie-making. It was just supposed to be 90 minutes of entertainment on the big screen, and it's still entertaining. Take your brain off for a while and have fun with it.

There are hilarious lines, some funny pratfalls and even a bit of home-grown wisdom: "How ignorant you are depends a lot on which part of the United States you're standing on." Or something like that. I get a kick out of watching the convoy/rocking-chair scene every time. Makes me wonder how in the world they got around Birmingham, but that's suspension of disbelief for you. LOL.

Wish director Hal Needham had remembered that Alabama State Troopers drive Fords, not Pontiacs, but that's a small thing. My dad remarked on it every time, though.

It's just cornball entertainment, rare enough these days. Pop some popcorn and have a blast watching it.
31 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Back when Burt was god
slightlymad229 January 2007
This movie,as far as I know,never won any special honours.It perhaps is not listed as one of the top 1,000,000 movies of all time.but I (and I am not ashamed to admit this),love this movie.Perhaps it is the charm exuded by Burt Reynolds. Perhaps it is the beautiful Sally Field(she will forever remind me of the little girl who lived next door but one who always managed to elude me)Perhaps it is the comic genius of Jackie Gleason. This is the absolute "king" of redneck comedy movies(and I use the term "redneck" with the utmost affection).I am a fan of great films,but I have my guilty pleasure movies as anyone has. This one tops my list of those.Love it!

Your enjoyment of the film depends on your first viewing experience. If like myself, you were a young boy growing up in the mid-eighties, you will have no doubt lived for the endless thrills, spills, car crashes, second-rate jokes and Big Burt as the Bandit, and its two sequels. It's easy to laugh at now, but there is a perverse pleasure in seeing bell-bottoms, grown men with CB radios and muscles cars the size of small houses, the likes of which most people won't have seen since 1982.

And as a side note only Star Wars grossed more than Smokey and the Bandit in 1977
35 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ultimate cowboy/trucker movie
james-vass15 June 2005
Worthy of adding to your personal collection. Burt Reynolds plays the part of the Bandit, a heart-throb for all white-trash trailer dwelling women, to a tee. Jackie Gleason does an impeccable job of bringing to life the role of the backwards southern sheriff, one of the finest performances of his great career. The soundtrack was an instant classic, combining folk, bluegrass and country, and leaving the viewer with an urge to recite the lyrics for days after. A must see for all serious movie watchers. Sally Field portrays a talented dancer who bails out on a marriage to the son of the stereotypical "southern" sheriff. The sheriff takes this as a personal insult and a dishonor to his authority. He then treks across the south in "hot pursuit" of the runaway bride and along the way encounters his arch-nemesis, The Bandit, resulting in non-stop laughs throughout the movie. This film combines sexuality (two of the hottest stars of the '70s and '80s), laughter (Jackie Gleason, need I say more), and a great feel-good script. I almost forgot this movie's greatest contribution to humanity, the introduction of a natural star, Fred the dog.
42 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The First Thing I'm Gonna Do When I Get Home Is Punch Your Momma In The Mouth
Bandit19745 January 2006
As you can tell by my screen name, I love this movie. I do regard this movie as my favorite of all time. Oscar material? Certainly not. But who cares.

The basic premise of the movie is a simple one. The Bandit (Burt Reynolds) and The Snowman (Jerry Reed) are trying to deliver a truckload of bootlegged Coors beer in 38 hours or less for $80,000 (big money back in 1977). All this while trying to shake a bloodhound sheriff (Smokey played by Jackie Gleason) and his bonehead son, Junior. Oh, and during all of this Bandit falls in love with a hitchhiker named Carrie (Sally Field).

As much as this is the movie that Burt Reynolds is known for, it's Jackie Gleason that makes this movie for me. His are my favorite lines in the movie. Don't get me wrong, Burt and his ohhh so 70's mustache do a fabulous job of smiling and laughing, but it's Gleason who has me in stitches every time I watch this movie. I received my first copy of this movie somewhere around 1986 (Christmas present). At some point I tried to figure out how many times I have viewed this movie. A conservative guess would be somewhere around 300.

It's simple fun, but there is a little bit of magic in this movie that was absent in Smokey And The Bandit II. Both Burt Reynolds and Sally Field claim that the reason the movie worked so well is that you are watching two people fall in love, for real, on film.

Aside from the love story and Gleason's portrayal of Bufford T. Justice, the movie has some fantastic and real (not CGI) car chases and stunts. This is a must own for anyone who loves a good car chase.
44 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burt, Sally, and a truckload of beer
ggh624 January 2001
One of the first films to tap into the anti-authoritarian aspects of the Citizen's Band (CB) radio craze, "Smokey" is basically a movie-length car chase and a pleasantly insipid slice of late-'70's Americana.

The tissue-thin plot has good ole boy pals The Bandit (Reynolds) and Cletus (a surprisingly good Jerry Reed) running a load of Coors cross-country on a tight deadline while trying to avoid an assortment of less-than-bright cops, led by pompous blowhard Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason). Sally Field, as a runaway bride who thumbs her way into Reynolds' car, brings charm and a welcome sense of irony to the macho proceedings.

Stunt coordinator-turned-director Hal Needham stages the action competently, and the actors, who supposedly improvised much of the dialogue, obviously enjoy themselves. A good choice for those who want to relive the glory days of CB rebels, long sideburns, plaid western shirts, and black Trans-Ams with "screaming chicken" decals on the hood. Avoid the two vastly inferior sequels.
44 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just pure fun..
tuomoks16 November 2005
It all has already said but then.. I also used to drive 18 wheelers in my previous life and this movie and the actors / actresses show nicely how it plays on road ( mostly ). So - not a great movie art but fun if you take it that way. Also already said but CB's can be useful, todays rigs have cell phones, satellite phones, GPS, etc.. but at that time it was who you know and know where you are. Sally Fields is always a delight, Burt Reynolds, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Reed, etc.. very fun acting. This movie has some old fashioned touch that is missing from too many ( assumed fun ) action movies today - also the effects are not as bad as in many todays movies, tire noise on gravel doesn't sound like tires on asphalt, stunts don't look like computer simulations and so on. Enjoy and dream driving..
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple Times, Simple Movie, Simply FUN!!!!!!
trickrider5 January 2003
I grew up in the south as a teen in the 70's and this movie was the South at that time. It was all about CB radios. I remember when my dad got one in his 1972 cherry red Chevy Impala. He had this big ol' whip antennae on the back and his CB handle(name) was Midnight(because he worked the night shift at Pan Am airlines). I think part of the reason Smokey was such a huge hit was threefold. First off, we were going thru an energy crisis and the age of muscle cars was over and most of us were driving around in small pieces of crap like the Chevette or the VW Rabbit! The thrill of seeing a muscle car like the Pontiac Trans Am tearing across the land was a huge thrill! Secondly, the country as a whole was in a malaise of the "Me Generation"..and all the self-help crap! People were listening to soft-rock like Helen Reddy and John Denver and taking self-help courses like est! People wore earth-tone colors and sandals. So when we saw these 'real-men" like Burt and Jerry Reed in thier plaid shirts and tight jeans, taking on the establishment by disregarding the rules of the road and all that, we got excited! Finally, the sheer delight in seeing people enjoying life was a thrill we all wanted to partake in! I can see why so many people, who were bored with life in the pre-disco late 70's, really enjoyed the escapism of this simple but extremely fun flick! We wanted to be a part of it! It was late-night chocolate we never admitted to eating. It was a movie you partly felt dumb to admitting you liked! But the movie itself inspired the hugely popular TV series Dukes of Hazzard, right down to the cast. Burt and Jerry became Bo and Luke Duke..Sally turned into a Daisy(with better legs!) and Sheriff Buford T. Justice became Boss Hogg with his bumbling sidekick Sheriff Roscoe B. Coltrane! And of course the Trans Am was replaced by a true muscle car, the 1969 Dodge Charger (was thier ever a better muscle car than the 69 Charger?) What followed in the aftermath of this movie was the explosion of disco and letting oneself enjoy life again! The whole world got back into living life and having fun! Maybe Smokey had something
43 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burt Reynolds' Wild Ride
EmperorNortonII2 October 2002
"Smokey and the Bandit" may be Burt Reynolds' best movie. At least it's certainly one of his most memorable. In it, he plays good ol' boy the Bandit, the classic speed demon outlaw, driving flat out through five states and back on one wild and crazy beer run. This movie has lots of laughs and action. It also offers a look into the culture of CB radio, which was a huge craze of the day. And who could forget the Great One, Jackie Gleason's hilarious portrayal of Sheriff Buford T. Justice, the bombastic, persistent lawman from Texas. "Smokey" will always be a comedy classic, and that's a big 10-4!
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pedal to the metal in this ripper of a good time.
Spikeopath11 September 2011
Smokey and the Bandit is directed by Hal Needham and the screenplay is collectively written by James Lee Barrett, Charles Shyer and Alan Mandel; from a story by Needham and Robert L. Levy. It stars Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Reed and Mike Henry. Music is by Bill Justis and Jerry Reed and cinematography by Bobby Byrne.

He does what he does best-shows off.

Bo "Bandit" Darville (Reynolds) accepts a, illegal job/bet offer of delivering a truck load of Coors Beer from Texas across the states to Georgia. The job must be completed within 28 hours or he will not pick up the $80,000 payment for his services. Enlisting his buddy Snowman (Reed) to drive the truck, while he acts as a decoy in his Pontiac Trans Am, the Bandit must avoid capture by the Smokey (police). When he stops to pick up runaway bride Carrie (Fields), this makes him the target for one particularly vindictive laws enforcer, Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Gleason), whose son Junior Justice (Henry) is the jilted intended of Carrie.

You sumbitches couldn't close an umbrella!

The best of the "CB Radio" movies, Smokey and the Bandit makes up for what little it has in plot, with unadulterated fun via car pursuits, stunts and wonderfully colourful characters. Essentially one long chase movie, it was a massive box office success on it release, becoming the second biggest earner in 77 behind a certain Space Opera from George Lucas. Cashing in on Burt Reynolds popularity, and the new found interest in CB radio on the highways, film went on to influence similar films and TV shows further down the line. The memory of the poor sequels and the inferior similar films of its type has somewhat led to many people forgetting just what an entertaining movie it is.

There is no way, no way, that you could come from my loins. Soon as I get home, first thing I'm gonna do is punch your momma in the mouth.

Hal Needham uses his knowledge as an ex-stuntman to great effect, setting up a number of inspired sequences that sees cars jumping, crashing or going for a swim! Wisely letting his actors ad-lib where possible, film has a natural flow that's hard to dislike. The chemistry between Reynolds and Fields is warming, due to the fact that it was off screen real, while Gleason steals the movie with a hilarious portray as the manic, cussing and determined Buford. The bumpkin based music is perfectly in keeping with the mood, and the various locations used make for an appealing backdrop to the carnage and speedster thrills.

Not quite as Punk Rock anti-establishment now as it seemed back then, but still utterly delightful courtesy of a damn fine cast and some special motor vehicle mayhem. 8.5/10
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smokey bacon!
Henrik Nameless9 June 2003
"Snowman what's your 20, you got your ears on, comeback? We got a Smokey convoy on our tail moving eastbound and down, with the peddle to the metal and the thing to the floor". If any of that makes sense to you it means one of two things. Either you were a young male in the late seventies who dressed in cowboy boots and drove a trans-am... or you have seen the film Smokey and the Bandit.

Smokey sees classically trained thespian Burtrand Reynolds essay the role of the Bandit, a mythical, almost Quixotesque figure, who cuts across the American landscape in a black Pontiac firebird, the ultimate phallic representation of male dominance. The densely layered plot sees Bandit become involved in a quest of Arthurian proportions, attempting to do "what they say can't be done". As it goes, there's a drought in old Atlanta, and the fine townsfolk are gagging for some liquid refreshment for the upcoming monster-truck derby. Luckily, Bandit hears that there's beer in Texarkana, and sets out across country to bring it back... no matter what it takes.

Director Hal Needham, surely an auteur of Hitchcockian proportions, keeps the first act moving along at a steady pace, and there is always close attention paid to characterisation. However, it is in act two that things really get interesting, for no sooner has the Bandit and his ever-faithful slave... sorry, sidekick Snowman loaded up the truck with the brew... than they are set upon by a runaway bride (Sally Field), a fleet of southern law enforcers, and the formidable Sheriff Bufred T. Justice (Jackie Gleason), whose catchphrase "that sun' bitch" proved to be as lastingly funny as a dose of the clap. From this point on tension is cranked to eleven, with more jaw-dropping moments than the entire Indian Jones series combined. Don't believe me, take the scene where Bandit attempts to jump the bridge... if this doesn't have you standing on your seat screaming "go bandit go... yee-haw", then quite frankly nothing will.

Bandit is one no-nonsense jive-talker, an enduring character whose down with the kids (and the blacks), making him one fine example of a true southern gent. We never doubt our hero will fail at his mission, especially not with the benefit of hindsight, since Bandit managed to evade the law and return for the imaginatively titled Smokey and the Bandit II. Here his bounty was an African elephant that, understandably, had the hots for the moustachioed one. Then there was the third instalment, which had a script so bad Reynolds himself turned it down. Here the sh*t-kickers formula was repeated... just without the kick. Smokey and the Bandit is, admittedly, not high art. It's not even low art. But it does represent some kind of period piece, a history lesson, or the pinnacle of late seventies cinema.

Your enjoyment of the film depends on your first viewing experience. If like myself, you were a young boy growing up in the mid-eighties, you will have no doubt lived for the endless thrills, spills, car crashes and second-rate jokes that pepper Bandit, and its two sequels. It's easy to laugh at now, and a young audience will probably be left scratching their heads at the sight of Burt Reynolds mugging uncontrollably to the camera for ninety-minutes whilst Jerry Reed gets to 'sing' his good ol' boy theme tune 'East-bound and Down' for the one-millionth time, but there is a perverse pleasure in seeing bell-bottoms, grown men with CB radios and muscles cars the size of small houses, the likes of which most people won't have seen since 1982. 3/5
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer down in Texarkana!
Coventry7 February 2010
I've never been much of a fan of Burt Reynolds fan, but he happens to star in many 70's and early 80's movies that are right up my alley. We're talking about movies with charismatic macho man protagonists, fast cars, trucks so large they seem to be overcompensating for something else, infantile comedy and flamboyant action stunts. Movies like "White Lightning", "Hooper", The Cannonball Run", "Sharky's Machine", "Gator" and of course the "Smokey and the Bandit" trilogy and I can't help the fact they all star Burt Reynolds. "Smokey and the Bandit" is basically a very simplistic story and approximately three quarters of the film seems improvised at the spot, but a premise like this just can't fail. Two Texan big shots hire the notorious trucker Bandit to illegally transport a lorry of Coors Beer from Texarkana to Georgia in barely 28 hours. Bandit develops a nifty plan where his buddy Snowman drives the beer truck and he drives a Trans-Am in front to divert the attention of the coppers. During the wild and time-pressured ride, Bandit picks up the hyperactive runaway bride Carrie and becomes involved in a testosterone showdown with the fearsome Texan Sheriff Buford T. Justice. You easily forgive "Smokey and the Bandit" for its lack of originality and ideas, simply because everyone involved in the film seems to be so very enthusiast and cheerful. Former stuntman Hal Needham delivers a fast- paced script and taut direction (his other film "MegaForce", on the other hand is a terribly boring turkey) whilst all his cast members are having the time of their lives. Jerry Reed is excellent as the lesser cool sidekick Snowman and he also provides the film with a sublimely irresistible hillbilly soundtrack, including the fantastically catchy songs "East Bound and Down" and "The Legend". Sally Field and Burt Reynolds definitely have on-screen chemistry, but the show is undeniably stolen by Jackie Gleason as the persistent and downright obsessive Sheriff Buford T. Justice. Heck, even his character's name alone is awesome to write and pronounce repeatedly! He has the best lines, allegedly a large part of them were ad-libbed, like when he says to his slow and unintelligent son: "the first thing I'm going to do when we get home, is punch your mother in the face" (referring that the son can't possibly have inherited his stupidity from him).
Redneck rubber riot
ptb-815 June 2009
Enormous good fun.. and I am flabbergasted that this film is 33 years old. In 1977 a 1944 film sure did look old but now in 2009 this 1976 production still looks fairly modern albeit super-bad 70s. In fact I really enjoyed the time-trip to this free 70s with its good natured roadside and trailer-park American fun times which echo all through SMOKEY. Burt Reynolds perfected his good ol' boy image thru DELIVERANCE in 73 then WW AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS in 74 via some lovably clumsy tap dancing in AT LONG LAST LOVE in 75 then rum running with doe eyed Robbie Benson and shrieking Liza Minnelli in LUCKY LADY (what a campy film!..no wonder it has never surfaced again ... yet...maybe after Stanley Donen dies)...) and then into SMOKEY which sets the scene for stunt car comedies for the next 5 years. In 1978 we got HOOPER then in 1979 THE BLUES BROTHERS and CONVOY and then more SMOKEY sequels. It was seemingly endless. SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT must be one of the most profitable films ever made. Seen thu 2009 eyes it seems to be the most simple of productions: there is not even ONE set used... every shot is taken on the road in a car or a truck, at a raceway fun-park, in a roadside diner, in a car park or in a picnic ground. It is all real .. and with real ordinary people as extras in most scenes..which was a clever way of ensuring incredible expectant word of mouth for the film to open in a big way. And it did.. one of the biggest cinema successes of the late 70s. More good fun than I remembered and evoking a wonderful nostalgia for the 70s, and with the most awful fashions imaginable.. brown pants and incredibly tight clothes.. eek! The budget must have been less than $3 million and it brought in over $100m in rentals! SMOKEY shows why everyone loved the 70s and Burt Reynolds at 42 years old hit his stride as a mega-star of the time. Sally Field was about 36 when she made this and still looks like a teenager!
An outright classic
purr-fect27 November 2001
This movie brings back the memories. Back when a time was simple and movies were just plain ole fun. A lot of the stuff in the movie is lost on today's generation, but I could laugh for hours. Such classic one-liners and of course it was in a time when Coors beer could not be bought east of Mississippi. Always want what ya can't have. Anyways, I watch it everytime it comes on tv, but of course, the real thing is BEST!
Vintage Burt
RNMorton13 December 2006
Burt and Jerry Reed get involved in bet about timed (and illegal) truck run of Coors beer from Colorado to Georgia. Burt grabs a black Trans Am and runs "blocker" for Reed's truck. Or whatever. I'm not sure what the real strategy is, I guess you could say Reynolds causes so much disruption the police don't care about Reed and his truck. Good-natured chase flick is aided by appearance of Fields part way through in role of runaway bride. My young son saw this movie and can't stop talking about it so it definitely works on one level. The chase scenes are well done and if the CB chatter was ever tacky in the new millennium it's all just cute. This is pretty much the last of the almost-humble Burt, from here on out it's asides to the camera and vanity stuff.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic!
radioannouncer25 July 2006
Smokey and the Bandit...an excellent Southern romp...

The film introduces you to the truck-driving legend "Bandit", who is challenged to bring beer from Texas to Georgia. Obviously the Burdettes have more money than sense, seeing as the local convenience store is down the road to satisfy their beer needs, and they can save $80,000 in the process - but their excess gives us a unique plot and situations that could only happen on the roads of the South!

Along for the ride is Jerry Reed's character Cledus Snow, "The Snowman" who is the reluctant running-buddy of Bandit on this beer-run. Cledus is the common sense of the two-man crew, sometimes offering that reality-check moment to the otherwise impulsive "Bandit".

Sally Field plays "Frog"...she gives the beauty to the film, also a middle-finger for posterity during a interstate chase, and a nice bent-over shot in the Trans-Am. (Thank you, Hal Needham) The "Smokey" in the title belongs to Jackie Gleason, who added the humor in the film...with some of the greatest lines ever delivered! See the movie once and you'll never say "Son of a B*tch" the same way thereafter...

Pick up a DVD copy today, and theatrical-aspect really keeps your attention and will present itself better than the 100-or-so times that you saw it on the small screen. Also, the edited-for-TV versions never did the original justice.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simple, childish but ultimately enjoyable chase movie
bob the moo1 January 2004
Legendary driver `Bandit' is challenged to a bet by Burdette brothers - can he smuggle them a truck load of Coors beer across state lines so that they can celebrate in style at the races. Bandit enlists Snowman as truck driver while he runs blocking in the car. When Bandit picks up a runaway bride on the road he attracts the unrelenting attention of Sheriff Buford T Justice.

Happily this is a genre that has gone out of date (unless your name is John Landis) but here it SATB is an enjoyable chase movie that has a lazy charm to it. The plot is paper thing but it sets up some nice chases, even if the film doesn't really have any major stunts to it that stood out as spectacular. However the easy humour of the film makes for a nice little film.

This is solely down to the cast rather than any great director or scenes. Reynolds spoofs his `good ol' boy' image really well and has an easy charm about him - although it is a sad reflection on his career that this is one of his best roles. Field does a good job of acting natural and she has an easy charisma with Reynolds. Reed is OK but his character's dog really makes more of an impression than he does. The real draw is Gleason's Sheriff who is hilarious, has all the best lines and is a wonderful exaggerated character; with his son in the car they make the real driving force of the film's humour!

Overall this is not a great film - it appeals to basic humour and the plot is about as much of a `one sentence summary' as you can get. However it has an easy, lazy humour to it that is appealing in a lazy sort of way. A few more major stunts would have helped but as it is it is an enjoyable little film as long as you are in the mood.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smokey and the Bandit
Scarecrow-8818 June 2011
I guess when you mention a top ten regarding movies featuring car crashes and high speed cross-country pursuits between a "bandit" and the law, "Smokey and the Bandit" is in the upper echelon, if not right at the front. A great deal of the movie's charm derives from Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jerry Reed, and Jackie Gleeson, a hell of a cast for what is actually a "Southern Hick comedy". The plot is simple, Burt Reynolds is a well recognized bandit with the ability to keep the police from commandeering a truck hauling certain illegal merchandise across state lines. His reputation catches the ear of Big Enos (Pat McCormick) and Little Enos (Paul Williams), with matching suits and plenty of cold, hard cash to pay for such a venture as they are proposing to the Bandit: the proposal, to successfully pick up and haul Coors beer across the country from Texarkana to Georgia in a certain time to score $80,000. So Bandit drags (literally) truck driving partner, Cledus (Jerry Reed, who shares scene-stealing duties with Gleason) out of bed, with the two heading on the road—Bandit, in a sweet Pontiac Trans am, Cledus driving the truck which will haul the Coors (illegal in certain states for which Bandit and Cletus will be crossing into, essentially recognized as bootlegging). Bandit picks up a runaway bride (Sally Field), once a chorus girl (!), fleeing from a dunderhead, Junior (Mike Henry) and his fiery, ill-tempered father, Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleeson), dogged in his pursuit to catch the girl who got away. Meanwhile, Bandit has to keep the "smokies" from pulling over Cledus' truck, not to mention, avoiding Justice, dogged and determined to catch him. The film is basically a drive-in treasure, full of police cars crashing into lakes and each other (the highlight as to be when one cop car lands in the back of a truck), and the Bandit masterfully evading an army of law enforcement through his incredible driving skills (and a little luck). Plenty of eye-opening stunts, including an epic bridge jumping by the Trans am. Reynolds' charisma is on full display, Field is a cutie who becomes his romantic interest as the two bond while trying to keep the law at bay, Gleason has an onslaught of comedy zingers ("What we got here is a complete lack of respect for the law."), and Jerry Reed as the jovial truck driver with a pet basset hound. For a PG-rated film, "Smokey and the Bandit" is loaded with profanity, particularly when Buford T Justice gets annoyed at his idiot son or cannot apprehend the Bandit. You can really see how much Reynolds and Field were in love during their scenes together; their chemistry is perfect. For a Mississippi hick like me, "Smokey and the Bandit" is the gold standard of Southern car chase movies. The movie has a laid-back charm, with the kind of cast who provoke smiles from the audience because of the breezy nature of the silly material.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, Funny, FUNNY!
This movie was funny and entertaining all the way! Burt Reynolds in his Firebird really gives the meaning of "showing off". Even I thought I was the showoff. But everybody who knows the Bandit, gives him a helping hand when he needs it. The law can try their best to apprehend the accomplices, but with Sheriff Buford T. Justice(the legendary Jackie Gleason), who in their right mind would help this Neanderthal? He's out of state, and out of his mind! Other law enforcement officers would ignore this clown, and catch the Bandit themselves. I liked the part where Cletus(country singer,Jerry Reed) ran over the Biker gangs' motorcycles after they rough him up, it looks like they'll be hitchhiking for a while. And hauling all the Coors' beer would be interesting. And when Sally Field's character flips the Georgia State trooper the bird, I said, "OOOHH!" That was funny! All the semis, the CB channels, and all the help The Bandit got, makes him the South's local hero. He can be USA's hero if he wants to. This movie is great for truckers and travelers alike. This is USA, keep on a trucking! Rating 4 out of 5 stars!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The quintessential good ol' boy flick?
Wuchak30 June 2015
In 1977's "Smokey and the Bandit" Burt Reynolds stars with Jerry Reed as Bandit and Cledus, two Southern truckers who take a gig hauling illegal beer from Texas to Georgia. Sally Field co-stars as Carrie, aka "Frog," a hitchhiker whom Bandit picks up in his Firebird. She's a literal runaway bride and the father of the groom, Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason), isn't going to let her or Bandit get away. Mike Henry, Paul Williams and Pat McCormick are also on hand.

This is fun good 'ol boy movie with Burt and Sally in their prime. Reynolds is at his smiling, wisecracking best and Field is a cutie who looks great in tight pants. It's not great like Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose" (1978), but it's energetic and amusing. Anyone who likes car chases, Southern accents, trucks, CB radios, redneck cops and motorhead antics will enjoy this movie. Besides the presence of Reynolds and Field, I mainly like it because it's like going back in time to the late 70s.

The female eye-candy is pretty much limited to Field, although Susie Ewing has a nice cameo as Hot Pants.

The film runs 96 minutes and was shot mostly in Georgia, but with some driving locations in California (you can always tell the difference).

GRADE: B-
Eastbound and Down!
t_woolery29 December 2002
How can you not love a movie that even Alfred Hitchcock called 'a guilty pleasure'? Smokey and the Bandit may not be Burt Reynolds, Sally Fields or Jackie Gleason's best movie - but it certainly will be one that they will be remembered for. The plot breakdown is fairly simple: Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed are trucking partners that are bet they can't deliver 400 cases of beer across two states in under 24 hours. Since that type of delivery is illegal (and incidentally, so is how Jerry Reed drives) Burt Reynolds distracts the "Smokies" by breaking every traffic law in sight with his '76 Trans Am. Add to that Sally Field as the runaway bride who tags along and Jackie Gleason as the jilted-father-in-law/'Smokey' and you can see why this movie was second-highest grossing movie in 1977 (beaten out by Star Wars).

This is not an intelligent movie. There are no Oscar-caliber performances and no brilliant direction. It doesn't change the fact that Smokey and the Bandit remains fun to watch and the lines are still funny after the fifth time you've seen it or the fifteenth. The car chases are filmed well; you'll notice that the car crashes are surpassed only a few years later by John Landis' The Blues Brothers.

Smokey and the Bandit is one of the best Southern Rock/muscle car/beer and pizza movies you can rent or catch on TBS (although you miss most of Jackie Gleason's dialogue if you catch it on cable.) Check it out!
What a show!!
Balsak16 April 2000
Until just recently I had only seen Smokey and the Bandit on TNT or some other Turner affiliate, but then I decided to look into buying it on video. What a decision that turned out to be, as it is quickly turning into one of my favorite (or at least most fun) movies. I can watch it any time, and just have a great time. How anybody can put this movie down, I just don't know!!
Great Movie
garyldibert24 February 2007
TITLE: SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT was release in theaters on May 27 1977 and it will take you 96 minutes to watch this movie. Smokey and the Bandit is a 1977 movie starring Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Reed, Pat McCormick, Paul Williams, and Mike Henry. It inspired several other trucking films, including two sequels, Smokey and the Bandit II (originally known as Smokey and the Bandit Ride Again in the U.K.), and Smokey and the Bandit Part 3. There were also a series of 1994 television movies (Bandit Goes Country,, Beauty and the Bandit and Bandit's Silver Angel) from original director/writer Hal Needham loosely based on the earlier version, with Emmy-winning actor Brian Bloom now playing Bandit. The three original movies introduced two generations of the Pontiac Trans Am (while the TV-movie version drives the Dodge Stealth). The film was the second highest grossing film of 1977, beaten only by Star Wars..

SUMMARY: As the movie begins, rich Texan Big Enos Burdette (Pat McCormick) and his son, Little Enos (Paul Williams), are trying to find a truck driver willing to haul Coors beer to Georgia for their refreshment. Unfortunately, due to federal liquor laws and state liquor tax regulations of the time, selling and/or shipping Coors east of the Mississippi River was considered bootlegging, and the truck drivers who had taken the bet previously had been discovered and arrested by "Smokey" (truck driver and CB slang for highway patrolmen). At a local truck rodeo, the Texans locate legendary truck driver Bo "Bandit" Darville (Burt Reynolds) and offer him US$80,000 (US$270,000 in 2007 dollars), the price of a new truck, to haul 400 cases of Coors beer from Texarkana, Texas to the "Southern Classic" truck rodeo in Georgia— in 28 hours. Bandit accepts the bet and recruits fellow trucker Cletus "Snowman" Snow (Jerry Reed) to drive the truck (Snow brings along his dog, a Basset Hound named "Fred", for company). Bandit purchases a black Pontiac Trans Am, which he will drive himself as a "blocker" car to deflect attention away from the truck and its cargo. The trio reaches Texas ahead of schedule, load their truck with Coors, and immediately head back towards Georgia. Shortly thereafter, Bandit picks up professional dancer and apparent runaway bride Carrie (Sally Field), whom he nicknames "Frog" because she was "always hopping around". However, by picking up Carrie, Bo becomes the target of Sheriff Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason), whose handsome yet very simple-minded son Junior (Mike Henry) was to have been Carrie's groom. The remainder of the film is essentially one big high-speed chase, as Bandit and Frog attract continuous attention from local and state police while Snowman barrels eastward with the Coors beer. Despite leaving his home jurisdiction, Sheriff Justice and his son continue to pursue Bandit, even as various mishaps cause their squad car to disintegrate around them. Bandit and Snowman are greatly assisted by a number of colorful characters met along the way, many of whom they contact through their CB radios; these acquaintances allow them to escape police pursuit on numerous occasions.

QUESTIONS: Neither Justice nor any of the other police officers are ever aware of Snowman's illegal cargo of Coors. Despite all the pursuit Sheriff Buford T Justice, how did the Bandit make it? What the bandit and snowman hauling in that truck? Why did the Bandit take a new deal instead of the money? Where did Frog come from and who was she? Why was Frog trying to escape from the sheriff in the first place?

MY THOUGHTS: I give this picture 8 weasel stars for not only its action but the comedy also.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total lack of respect for the law
Rainfox27 May 2000
* * * ½ (3½ out of 5)

Smokey and the Bandit

Directed by: Hal Needham, 1977

`What we're dealing with here is a total lack of respect for the law!' - Buford T. Justice, as played by Jackie Gleason.

Irresponsible but extremely agile and charming car-chase comedy.

Smuggling beer from Texarkana to Atlanta, the Bandit (in his black '77 Special Edition Trans Am) has Smokey in hot pursuit from start to finish. Former stuntman turned director Hal Needham makes the most of everything, and the country and western music by Jerry Reed is marvellous.

The entire cast is excellent. Jackie Gleason as Sheriff Buford T. Justice is an institution to this very day, while Burt Reynolds and Sally Field made for a terrific pairing.

Reynolds' scene with Gleason at the truck stop, striking up a conversation, is one of the most memorable comedic scenes in movie history.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Perfect Fit For The '70s
ccthemovieman-112 August 2006
Like a lot of the comedies of the '70s, this is funny, irreverent, profane and fun for its day but a little stupid now that I am older and, hopefully, a little more mature. When we were young in this period, Burt Reynolds, Sally Field and the rest was about as entertaining as it got for comedy-romance-adventure.

Jerry Reed also added to the likability of this film, not only with his sidekick role but his catchy movie title song that I can still hum to this day.

My only complaint here is my pet peeve: the usage of the Lord's name in vain which shouldn't be that prevalent in a comedy. Here it's abused more than a dozen times, mostly by Jackie Gleason. This is "Ralph Kramden" gone into the sewer with GDs coming out of his mouth left and right and a ridiculous insulting stereotype (Liberals love this) of southern cops. Gleason isn't funny; he's disgusting.

Otherwise, the film was low-brow funny and big, big hit.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.