Silent Movie (1976)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 24 items
- Sex & Nudity (11)
- Violence & Gore (4)
- Profanity (3)
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking (4)
- Frightening & Intense Scenes (1)
- Spoilers (1)
Sex & Nudity
- A couple of scenes involve the same joke: A group of men is unexpectedly thrown together into a pile. Each time, the same pair of women happen upon them and are scandalized, thinking they're seeing displays of homosexual affection. (See the "Profanity" section.)
- A woman dances suggestively in a skimpy outfit that reveals cleavage, bare legs, and abdomen. There are another two scenes similar to this, featuring the same woman, however, they are very short. The first scene, though, is fairly prolonged.
- To finish a dance, a woman in a skimpy outfit suggestively rotates her hips, before throwing them towards the audience, comically knocking everyone out from their seats.
- A group of businessmen are seated in a board room. A presenter unfurls a large picture of a woman in a skimpy outfit that reveals cleavage, bare legs, and abdomen. After a moment of silence, the board room table rises slightly, implying that all the men have an erection, forcing the table upwards.
- A few scenes depicting groups of women wearing (quite) skimpy outfits, and a man being attracted to them.
- A man lying unconscious is awoken with a grin when a young nurse in a short skirt walks over him.
- A film director tells a woman that if his newest film is a hit, "we'll marry, and you'll never have to take your clothes off again."
- A few people walk through a city at night, and we see neon lights flash before their eyes. One of them looks like it reads "Gay Bar." The scene is extremely brief.
- A man asks a woman if she would like to "dance with a mild-mannered pervert."
- A man is shown washing in the shower. Another three then men join him. The scene is meant to be humorous, and there is no nudity.
- A couple of women swing their dress skirts around, revealing their bare legs up to their undergarments.
Violence & Gore
- There is a great deal of slapstick comedy (falling, slapping, punching, etc.) through the movie, though in the same spirit as classic silent films, complete with cartoon noises and rushed frame rate.
- Several men shoot each other in the back with rifles. This scene is meant to be comical, and we see nothing but the dead men falling to the ground.
- An enraged man literally foams at the mouth like a rabid dog, accompanied by snarling, barking dog sounds on the sound track. The enraged man then lunges at another man, clawing and biting at him furiously. However, the mad man is pulled away and the attacked man is okay. There is no blood.
- In a couple of scenes, there is a Coca-Cola vending machine that shoots out cans at extreme velocity before exploding. Towards the end of the movie, the same vending machine cans are used like hand grenades. One man jumps onto a "grenade" just before it explodes under his body, rendering him unconscious.
- 1 use of sucks, crapper and pervert 2 uses of god
- "You son of a bitch" is easily lip-readable (but this becomes the seed of a joke when it is deliberately toned down in the intertitle card).
- "Fags!" (2)
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Alcohol and drinking is present in many scenes. A few scenes depict people smoking large cigars.
- The movie's main character is said to have lost his previous job due to a former drinking problem.
- In one part of the movie, a man begins to drink very heavily, and is shown extremely drunk in several scenes. At one point, the same man walks into a liquor store, and exits with a ridiculously huge bottle (about half the size of his body) of wine. He then stumbles into an alleyway, and shares the wine with a large group of street bums. The bums comment, while looking up to the drunk man, that "he truly is the lord of the winos." We later see the bums and the man with the huge bottle, piled together in an alley, passed out from drunkenness.
- A man drinks hundreds of cups of black coffee in order to get sober.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Some of the slapstick (see "Violence & Gore" above) has a twisted sense of humor, and may be disturbing to some audiences.
Sex & Nudity
- A man tries to stop a Coca-Cola machine from shooting cola cans in projectile fashion far out of reach. At one moment he covers as much of the front of the machine as possible with his body when his hips convulse, ostensibly having had a can fired right into his crotch. He reacts in a sexually gratified way ("It is the real thing!").