Friday Foster (1975) Poster

(1975)

Weak...seriously you guys....(to quote Cartman)
MartinHafer5 June 2009
Just a couple years earlier, Pam Grier starred in COFFEY--one of the best of the so-called blaxploitation films. Then, she made FOXY BROWN--a very similar film but still very watchable nonetheless. Now, by 1975, she was making lousy films like SHEBA BABY and Friday FOSTER--films that were just pale imitations of these earlier successes.

Friday FOSTER finds Ms. Grier as a hot-shot photographer for Glance magazine. She gets a lead on the arrival of some big-wig and sneaks onto the runway at the airport. However, she walks into an attempted assassination! After that, she's pulled into all kinds of intrigue that never really scores. Too bad her character is more like a Black Barbie doll instead of the usual bad @ss she played in her good films. All her brashness is replaced by high fashion clothing and a by-the-numbers plot that could have been a "Charlie's Angels" plot--seriously.

Now this film could have been a lot better. After all, it had a very good cast (including Carl Weathers, Julius Harris, Yaphet Kotto and Godfrey Cambridge. However, it all just seemed so unreal and poorly written. Pam with a camera instead of a gun just didn't pack much entertainment punch. Heck, you know it's lame when instead of blowing away bad-guy Weathers, she shoots him with pepper spray. Lame! And, when the evil assassins strike, they only chose methods with the lowest probability of success!!! Knives, runaway cars that inexplicably miss the heroine and explode and gunmen who can't hit anything make for one of the weakest gangs in film history! The only good hit (and it was GREAT---almost worth seeing the film just for this one) involved a phone booth and a huge truck--but naturally this was aimed only at a minor character and not Ms. Grier.

If there was a reason to watch this movie, it's so you can see the zombie fashion show about 25 minutes into the film! It's a high fashion show starring a strange Eartha Kitt (by her performance, I think she thought she's supposed to be Catwoman). As she introduces the models, each comes out in atrocious 70s dresses and moves about exactly like the undead as Kitt purrs like Batman's rival---seriously! It is meant to be hot, but frankly it's one of the funnier scenes in a bad blaxploitation film you can find.

Another possible reason might be to see Ted Lange (from "Love Boat") playing a completely stereotypical 70s pimp. Instead of mixing drinks and dispensing wisdom, here he spouts Huggy Bear-like dialog that can't help but elicit laughs. I really wish he'd acted this way on "Love Boat"--it would have been hysterical! Or, perhaps people who hate Godfrey Cambridge would want to see it because this film couldn't help but sink his career. His mincing homosexual routine is pretty embarrassing--as well as awfully offensive when seen today--at least to some in the audience. Others might just laugh at its lack of subtlety.

A final reason to see the film is to witness the most amazing and warmest winter in Washington, DC history. I grew up there and was amazed to see all the trees were filled with green leaves and people were dressed like it was May! I was there in 1975 but somehow missed out on this anomaly! My recall is that the temperatures were in the 30s...like every other winter in this city!! I also loved the mountains in the outskirts of DC (and no, I am NOT talking about the Appalachians). Strange how they looked like the same ones in Los Angeles! Great continuity, huh?!

However, other than for laughs or curiosity or a hatred of Mr. Cambridge, I just can't see why you'd want to see this until you've first seen and enjoyed GOOD blaxploitation films! Trust me--you can do a lot better than this overly-polished but bland film.

You know this is a REAAALLLY lame film where "Mr. Big" turns out to be Jim Backus!! So apparently THAT'S how Thurston Howell III got all that money!!
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Out There
Michael_Elliott25 February 2008
Friday Foster (1975)

** (out of 4)

Blaxploitation film has Pam Grier playing the title character, a photographer who gets caught up in a plot to assassinate black political figures. As with a lot of films in the genre, this one here starts off pretty good and fun but quickly falls apart due to a rather poor screenplay. The only thing the screenplay does well is allow three scenes for Grier to show off her wonderful breasts including one scene where she takes a shower with the curtains open so that we can watch. The story is pretty serious but it's done in such a poor way that you can't take it too seriously. The film has one good, campy car chase that manages to be quite exciting but after the half hour mark everything comes to a halt. Grier is good in her role, although I wouldn't go as far as to say she's a good actress. Carl Weathers is in fun form as one of the bad guys Yaphet Kotto adds some fun.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
empowerment blaxploitation
SnoopyStyle6 February 2021
It's New Years Eve. Former model turned magazine photographer Friday Foster (Pam Grier) gets a call from her bosses' boss. She's told to take photos of African American tycoon Blake Tarr and warned not to get involved with her subject. She catches an assassination attempt by a team led by Yarbro (Carl Weathers). She teams up with private investigator Colt Hawkins (Yaphet Kotto) as the assassins come after her and they discover a mysterious villain known as the black widow.

It's an empowerment blaxploitation film. It's interesting but it's not actually good. There is some overacting despite the great actors in the cast. I'm willing to buy Eartha Kitt's overacting since it's lots of fun. The writing is generally bad. I do like some of the dialogue. I'm not sure if it's the attempt to be street or the general badness of it all. The filmmaking is second rate although they definitely try. There is money spent. They're trying to make a big crime conspiracy film but it's a mess. Despite its weaknesses, there is still fun to be had.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast Friday
Prismark1019 October 2015
Friday Foster (Pam Grier) is based on a comic strip featuring a black heroine.

As a Blaxploitation film this is one of the more milder Pam Grier ones, a little more lighthearted but also a tad dull as well with a thinner plot.

Friday is a magazine photographer who is on a last minute assignment to cover the airport arrival of the richest black man in America and stumbles into an assassination attempt.

As Friday caught the bad guys on camera her life is in danger with Carl Weathers on the hunt to kill her. Friday perseveres to investigate the botched assassination and uncovers a plot to kill some prominent black leaders.

Friday Foster certainly has a great cast of black actors from Yaphet Kotto, Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers, Carl Weathers and Thalmus Rasulala.

Kotto and Grier bounce off each other well with a playful relationship and Kotto gets to go toe to toe with Weathers in some action scenes.

Grier is happy to display her ample breasts in several scenes and gets to have a few easy lovemaking scenes as well.

The trouble is despite a very good shoot out sequence at the beginning of the film the film feels rather boring here and there and the plot is too shallow. Still the cast gives it a lot of class.
DON'T GET INVOLVED
nogodnomasters14 May 2018
Friday Foster (Pam Grier) is a photographer for "Glance" magazine. She sneaks out to the airport to secretly photograph a black billionaire flying in at night. She manages to capture on camera an assassination attempt. She tries to do some investigating while becoming a target herself.

While this film has all the elements of a Blaxplotation film, it is more subdued. There are less colorful characters, less pimps, and the music is less whack-a-da and more softly soulful.

Film includes Carl Weathers, Scatman Crothers, Jim Backus, and Eartha Kitt.

Brief sex and nudity (Rosalind Miles, Pam Grier, + others)
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friday the 13 (as in, on a scale of 1 to 10, this is a 13)
lee_eisenberg6 February 2013
I had never heard of Pam Grier until she co-starred in "Mars Attacks!" and then got a lead role in "Jackie Brown". I later learned that she was a blaxploitation star in the '70s, and I've finally gotten to see an example. "Friday Foster" casts her as an ultra-cool photographer whose life takes a dangerous turn after she witnesses an assassination attempt. There's no shortage of fun stuff. Seriously, Pam Grier is one sh*t-kickin' babe! A particularly surprising thing is the cast. In addition to Pam Grier, there's Carl Weathers, Eartha Kitt, Godfrey Cambridge, Jason Bernard, Jim Backus, Scatman Crothers and Yaphet Kotto. Ergo, this movie contains Foxy Brown, Apollo Creed, Catwoman, Gravedigger Jones, Steve Martin's friend in "All of Me", Thurston Howell III, Dick Halloran and of the Alien's victims.

But anyway, it's just a really cool movie. I have no doubt that they had fun making it.

Delivering the milk. Indeed!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your Above Average 1970s Blaxploitation Flick
gavin69427 February 2014
Friday Foster (Pam Grier), an ex-model magazine photographer, goes to Los Angeles International airport to photograph the arrival of Blake Tarr, the richest black man in America... and things go awry.

I love blaxploitation films and I love Pam Grier (which is pretty much necessary given how much the two overlap). Here she is made out to be a very strong woman in a variety of ways -- head-strong, smart as a whip... and someone who sexually knows what they want (this is a fine line between "easy" and "determined", and Foster walks it well).

Is it the best of its kind? Probably not. But well worth a watch for fans of the genre, with some great supporting actors -- including Scatman Crothers, Eartha Kitt and Carl Weathers, among others. Unfortunately for us, this was Grier's final film with American International Pictures.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much of a movie...but what a crazy cast!
moonspinner5530 April 2008
Surprisingly mild vehicle for Pam Grier, targeted at the black urban audiences of the 1970s, isn't terribly good despite a varied roster of bemused supporting talents, including Jim Backus, Yaphet Kotto, Scatman Crothers, Godfrey Cambridge, Carl Weathers from "Rocky", Ted Lange from "The Love Boat", and Eartha Kitt, hamming it up as usual playing a breathless fashion designer. Grier (looking lovely) is cast as a professional shutterbug tracking down an assassination ring who target black politicians. Campy nonsense is hardly "The Manchurian Candidate", though it does have a fresh moment here and there. The assembly-line shootout-climax is tired, and the film's production seems cheesy, but Kotto just about steals the picture as Grier's sidekick. ** from ****
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pam Grier's final AIP movie Friday Foster got plenty of smiles from me
tavm11 February 2012
What I'm reviewing now was the very last movie Pam Grier made for American International Pictures. She plays the title character as a photographer for a magazine who's on assignment to shoot the arrival of the "black Howard Hughes" Blake Tarr (Thalmus Rasulala). Accompanying her on some of her assignments other than the one I mentioned above is private detective Colt Hawkins (Yaphet Kotto). I'll stop there and just say how fun I found the whole thing and why not with a cast that includes Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers, Jim Backus, Ted Lange without his mustache that he became famous for when he was cast in "The Love Boat" a few years later, a pre-Apollo Creed Carl Weathers, and Godfrey Cambridge several months before his untimely death. I can't admit that everything that happened made sense but I found myself smiling if not always laughing the whole time I was watching. So on that note, Friday Foster is well worth a look.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not among Pams' best, but watchable.
Hey_Sweden18 June 2014
This comic strip adaptation stars delectable 1970s icon Pam Grier as the title character, a fashion photographer in Washington, D.C., who gets caught up in an assassination attempt at an airport. This is just the beginning of the troubles; after her model friend Cloris (Rosalind Miles) is killed during a show, she gets personally involved and does some sleuthing - ably assisted by her friend Colt Hawkins (Yaphet Kotto), a private investigator. Eventually, she discovers a plot to eliminate various black leaders.

Pam truly was a queen of Cool during this time, but her charming personality - and ample assets - can only do so much to enliven what is an underwhelming script (by Orville H. Hampton, based on a screen story by producer & director Arthur Marks). There is some bloody squib action going on, but the action in this movie is largely perfunctory. As in any Blaxploitation flick of this period, there is a certain degree of fun in checking out the fashions and listening to that funky music. (However, the score by Luchi De Jesus leans a little too heavily on a talk box.) Kotto offers one of his loosest ever performances, and is a great match for Pam. Supporting them are an impressive assortment of familiar faces: Godfrey Cambridge, Thalmus Rasulala, an amusingly hammy Eartha Kitt, Jim Backus (who's wasted in what amounts to a cameo role), Scatman Crothers, 'The Love Boat''s Ted Lange, Paul Benjamin, Jason Bernard, Julius Harris, and Carl Weathers in a pre-"Rocky" featured role as a none-too- competent hired killer.

All in all, this is an okay viewing for fans of Pam, but there's nothing terribly distinguished or memorable about it.

Six out of 10.
She's just all woman
lastliberal29 August 2007
Poor Yarbro (Carl Weathers). When attempting to kill Friday Foster (Pam Grier), he catches her coming out of the shower. Can any man focus on the task at hand when faced with all that beauty? No wonder he slips in trying to accomplish his mission.

A typical blaxplotation film about an assignation attempt uncovered by our intrepid hero Friday, who just won't quit in her search for truth, justice, and a couple of roles in the hay with Senator Hart (Paul Benjamin) and Ford Mallotte (Godfrey Cambridge). But, it is buddy Colt Hawkins (Yaphet Kotto) who ends up with the prize. Lucky man! Also featuring Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers, and Ted Lange, this 70s trip is just the thing to get the juices flowing. The lovely Pam never fails to delight.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lot of Motion with no Movement
view_and_review1 December 2020
I used to work with a guy who always stayed busy at work. But the funny thing about him is that he never got any real work done. We called it the CW shuffle (CW being his initials). "Friday Foster" was a lot of action and movement without really accomplishing anything.

Friday (Pam Grier) was a photographer for a magazine and she was mixed up in the action the entire movie. It began with her having to take some pictures of Blake Tarr (Thalamus R.), the Black Howard Hughes, on New Year's Eve. She got more than just photos of Blake, she got photos of the men trying to assassinate Blake as well. From that moment on Friday thrust herself into every bit of action armed with a camera and her good looks. Who tried to kill Blake Tarr and why? What is Black Widow? Friday would go everywhere she could to get answers.

It was exciting as far as 70s movies go, though the plot was a bit convoluted. It had a T.V. feel to it like I was watching an extended episode of Starsky and Hutch or some other 70s cop drama.
Lacked Focus
Uriah4313 March 2015
"Friday Foster" (Pam Grier) is a photographer for a magazine in Los Angeles who is sent on an assignment to get pictures of a reclusive billionaire named "Blake Tarr" (Thalmus Rasulala) who is arriving in secret at a nearby airport. Anyway, as she is photographing him from a hidden vantage point, three armed assassins suddenly appear and attempt to kill him. Although she is fortunate to get several pictures of this incident she also finds herself getting drawn deeper and deeper into a complicated and highly dangerous situation which has serious implications for everyone concerned. Now rather than reveal any more of this movie and risk spoiling it for those who haven't seen it I will just say that fans of Pam Grier will probably really like this particular film as she performs in an excellent manner. Unfortunately, she was plagued with a weak script, the plot lacked focus and the director (Arthur Marks) failed to utilize an exceptional supporting cast to their full advantage. Yet, while Pam Grier was able to rise above these obstacles to a certain degree I cannot honestly say the same for her other colleagues--especially Yaphet Kotto (as "Colt Hawkins") whose performance seemed both odd and uneven. In any case, I felt somewhat disappointed in this movie and I have rated it accordingly.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lesser Pam Grier vehicle, but still fun
gridoon202214 November 2008
Pam Grier looks desirable and gives a playful, likable performance as Friday Foster, another one of her patented liberated and resourseful heroines, but she leaves most of the physical stuff to her male co-star, Yaphet Kotto, this time around. These two make a great pair and it's a mystery why they didn't work together more often. The rest of the cast is solid as well, right down to the boy who plays Pam's little brother, who has some very funny line readings. The film itself is not among Pam's most exciting: the story is muddled, and some promising action sequences (like a car chase....in which she drives a hearse!) fall flat (kudos to the stuntmen jumping from rooftop to rooftop, though). But the well-chosen cast, the bright colors, and the funky dialogue & score keep it fun enough. (**)
Foxy Friday
morrison-dylan-fan14 May 2018
After my PS3 stopped being able to play Blu-Rays 6 months ago,I finally sorted it out,when I spotted a "like new" PS3 on sale in a local Cash Converters for £30! Eyeing a cameo from Pam Grier in the excellent Blaxploitation flick Cool Breeze,and having read a lot of praise for Blu-Ray company 88 Films,I decided to cross the two and go meet Friday Foster.

View on the film:

For their bangin' transfer, 88 Films present a crisp image and a soundtrack which keeps the dialogue clean from the booming score. Kicking off the flick with Luchi De Jesus awesome wah-wah hard-Funk score, co-writer/(with Orville H. Hampton) director Arthur Marks (who had earlier worked with sexy Marki Bey on the very good Class of '74) & cinematographer Harry J. May get into the groove with deleterious brash colours that make the ladies (and the fella's!) look cool. Keeping to the beat of the sound from Jesus, Marks gives this Blaxploitation movie a thrillingly frantic atmosphere,as Foster's search for "The Black Widow" sets off assassins who try to kill her with wah-wah zoom-ins on their attempted killings, and slick whip-pans flying as Foster smashes a milk truck down the road to stop Black Widow.

Turning Jim Lawrence's Comic Strip, (the first Comic to have a black superhero,which got cancelled a year before the film was made!) onto the screen, the screenplay by Marks and Hampton give Foster a sassy confidence which shines as Foster firmly holds her independent views,as others tell her to stop searching for Black Widow. Whilst Foster's fights with the assassins are happily silly,the writers make it flow by giving the flick a Blaxploitation charm atmosphere, and also showing some sincerity in a final message of black unity. Looking way more relaxed than he was in the classic show Homicide: Life on the Street, Yaphet Kotto gives a laid-back,breezy performance as Colt Hawkins,whilst stunning Pam Grier proves she is the queen of Blaxploitation by giving Foster a brittle toughness and an irresistible flirting attitude.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
some greats of the 60s and 70s in this one.
ksf-216 April 2021
Pam Grier and Yaphet Kotto worked on three films together. In this one, Friday is a photographer, who is sent to take photos at the airport on new years eve. Tierre Turner, who plays her younger brother, would go on to be a stunt man. Co-stars Jim Backus, Eartha Kitt. Carl Weathers, Scatman Crothers, Ted Lange. Nothing wrong with that cast. Eartha, in all her purring glory, is the emcee for her fashion show where another murder occurs. People are getting murdered faster than they can be questioned. And who is Blake Tarr? That name keeps coming up. Co-stars Thalmus Rasulala and Jason Bernard both died quite young, in their 50s. It's fun to follow Friday around town, as she tries to bluff her way into everyone's house. Directed by Art Marks; his only other film I have heard is Roommates. Based on the comic strip, with the same story line and characters. Check it out at wikipedia dot com.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friday Foster an easy girl !!!!
elo-equipamentos17 October 2019
I really love Blaxploitation pictures, Pam Grier is the Queen of this genre, all those black pussycats, really hot, those black characters speaking in a unusual slang, those far-fetched mannerism on the seventies, all this made it a unique genre, however Friday Foster stakes at his own character, as a vehicle to Pam Grier, playing an unethical practices girl along the picture, making sex with everyone, every night sleeps on a different bed, to find out who is the Black Widow, a shallow plot and implausible, the casting is amazing gathering the most prolific black actors including the old Scatman Crothers and Eartha Kitt, let it see easily, but don't expect too much!!!

Resume:

First watch: 1988 / How many: 2 / Source: TV-DVD / Rating: 6.5.
Here comes Pam!
Red-Barracuda4 November 2021
Its Pam Grier time again! In this one, she stars as a character adapted from a newspaper comic strip, which is quite a distinctive angle for a blaxploitation. She is Friday Foster a model turned photographer who witnesses the assassination of a high profile man and from this a whole succession of fun follows. Aside from Pam, this one has a pretty cool cast, including turns from Carl Weathers, Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers and Yaphet Kotto. But, needless to say, its Grier's film all the way and she once again puts in an effortlessly cool performance. And the tagline on the film's poster? Why, its... "Wham! Bam! Here comes Pam!"
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Take my advice stay out of it. Get laid have a baby or something."
bensonmum223 November 2005
Friday Foster (Pam Grier) is a magazine photographer who is given the assignment of covering the airport arrival of the richest black man in America. But Friday gets more than she bargained for as this routine assignment turns into an assassination attempt. Because Friday was able to get some shots of the would be killers, her life is in danger. Soon, everywhere she goes, people end up dead. Friday's investigations lead her to corrupt government officials, a renowned preacher with an eye for more than the Bible, and something called The Black Widow.

Friday Foster is literally a Who's Who of 70s black actors. In addition to the always delightful Pam Grier, the movie features Yaphet Kotto, Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers, Carl Weathers, Ted Lange, Godfrey Cambridge, Thalmus Rasulala (what an awesome name), and more. While many members of this large cast have little more than cameo appearances, it was a fun to see them all together. I especially enjoyed seeing Kotto work with Grier. I wish the pair had made more films together. They have a good on screen chemistry. Plus, regardless of how silly the situation, Kotto brings an air of credibility to the proceedings.

Unlike some of Grier's other films, Friday Foster has a decided lighthearted tone in comparison. That's not to say there aren't plenty of killings, but it never feels as depressing, downbeat, or serious as something like Coffy. It's a nice change of pace to see Grier laughing and joking with Kotto in many of the film's scenes. The action scenes are also good. One of my personal favorites is the rooftop chase with Kotto and Weathers. Very nice.

I'm a fan of 70s Blaxplotation (and Pam Grier in particular) and Friday Foster is a welcome addition to my video library.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This isn't a perfect movie or Grier's best blaxploitation picture but it is definitely worth a viewing for fans of the genre
kevin_robbins17 December 2021
Friday Foster (1975) is a movie I recently rewatched for the first time in a long time on Tubi. The storyline follows Friday, a photographer, who has a friend and a client murdered by the same assassin. When she gets a photo of the killer the organization behind the assassin sets out to make Friday the next victim.

This movie is directed by Arthur Marks (JD's Revenge) and stars Pam Grier (Coffy), Yaphet Kotto (The Runningman), Godfrey Cambridge (Cotton Comes to Harlem), Carl Weathers (Rocky), Scatman Crothers (The Shining) and Eartha Kitt (Boomerang).

The music, attire, jive and cars in this are awesome. It was also fun to see a young Carl Weathers in this picture. The cast from top to bottom is absolutely awesome and very well selected. There's a great shower scene in this and the phone booth scene was excellent. I enjoyed the conclusion especially the final sequence with Weathers. Oh, and Eartha Kit is always a fun addition to any cast/movie.

Overall this isn't a perfect movie or Grier's best blaxploitation picture but it is definitely worth a viewing for fans of the genre. I would score this a 7/10 and strongly recommend it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's no wonder Pam Grier's career quickly went down the toilet after lame movies like this and 'Sheba, Baby'!
Infofreak19 June 2004
Jack Hill's brilliant 'Coffy' is one of the 1970s best exploitation movies and remains the definitive Pam Grier role. It's such a pity that within two years Grier was forced into making something as mediocre as 'Friday Foster'. It's no wonder he career quickly went down the toilet after lame movies like this and 'Sheba, Baby'! 'Coffy' is a classic revenge movie and actually had some element of realism. Hill's next collaboration with Grier 'Foxy Brown' stepped away from that, and I didn't enjoy it as much, but compared to this it's a masterpiece. In 'Friday Foster' Grier is getting even closer to 'Cleopatra Jones' territory, but without the fun and style of that movie or its sequel. This movie actually has one of the best supporting casts of any blaxploitation film, but even that fails to satisfy. Yaphet Kotto plays Grier's detective buddy, and Julius Harris is her boss. Plus there's Scatman Crothers ('Black Belt Jones'), Thalmus Rasulala ('Blacula'), Godfrey Cambridge ('Cotton Comes To Harlem'), Paul Benjamin ('Across 110th Street') and Carl Weathers ('Rocky'), as well as Eartha Kitt, Isaac the bartender from 'The Love Boat' (Ted Lange) and even inexplicably 'Gilligan's Island's Thurston Howell III (Jim Backus)! As much as I love Grier and Kotto, 'Friday Foster's paper thin plot didn't hold my interest for very long and I was bored way before the climactic shootout. I regard this and 'Truck Turner' (which funnily enough also co-stars Yaphet Kotto) as the two most disappointing blaxploitation movies I've seen. If you want to see Pam Grier at her best watch 'Coffy', then follow it up with 'Foxy Brown' and 'Jackie Brown'. All three movies wipe the floor with this limp effort.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This expose documents a category of inhabitants . . .
tadpole-596-91825618 January 2022
. . . which puts the lives of ALL Americans at high risk. The nefarious subset of our populace depicted in FRIDAY FOSTER monopolizes about 98.3% of the screen time here, and is responsible for an even higher percentage of the flying lead. In fact, lead poisoning seems to be the leading cause of death among this throng--even if you figure that the knives protruding from victim's backs are made of stronger stuff--and it is not coming from legacy paint chips or municipal water pipes. Instead, truck loads of flying high-velocity projectiles darken the skies around Washington, DC, threatening the lives of any U. S. citizens from the law-abiding demographics attempting to lead normal, safe lives. FRIDAY FOSTER suggests that the streets of our nation's Capitol MUST be manned by thousands of National Guard troops just to maintain a semblance of Law & Order.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Near the end for Grier in this genre
rosscinema29 December 2004
This would be one of the last in the infamous black exploitation films and this effort was definitely a step down from some of the others although it's still fairly entertaining. Story is of course about Friday Foster (Pam Grier) who's a former model but now works as a photographer for a magazine called Glance and she's assigned to go to the airport and photograph the arrival of Blake Tarr (Thalmus Rasulala) who's a very successful black businessman. While snapping off some shots Friday is a witness to an attempted murder plot and Tarr is wounded but she gets the photo's of the whole event.

*****SPOILER ALERT***** Friday starts snooping around but she is the target of one of the assassins (Carl Weathers) who recognizes her and she enlists the aide of her good friend Colt Hawkins (Yaphet Kotto) who's a private detective. Things lead to Senator David Lee Hart (Paul Benjamin) and Friday thinks that he may be behind the whole thing but as it turns out it's actually someone whom no one suspects and they're trying to kill all the other black leaders.

This film was directed by Arthur Marks (Bucktown, Detroit 9000) who has the experience in making these films but since he also wrote the story he can be looked at for most of the flaws here. This seems to lack the immediacy and raw edge of the other more affluent films such as "Coffy" and instead we're subjected to a film that is easily more comedic and convoluted. Kotto usually plays heavies and bad guys but in a change of pace he's regulated to being more of a sidekick here following Grier from one predicament to another. The script has Grier's character stopping at nothing to find out about who killed her friend and she steals a hearse at a funeral and later a milk truck. The story also has her going to bed with both businessman Tarr and Senator Hart without any qualms but she's still supposed to be attracted to Kotto's character Colt! Clearly the story could have been tightened up a bit but there are still reasons to view this including the familiar cast which has Eartha Kitt, Scatman Crothers, Ted Lange, Godfrey Cambridge, and a wheelchair bound Jim Backus. It wouldn't be a Pam Grier blaxploitation film without her nude scenes and she has about 3 of them which showcase her curvy and luscious body. Not one of the better films in this genre but one of the last which possesses enough fun and exploitation to satisfy it's fans.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great action comedy of any era
winner5522 June 2009
Of the four films from the mid-'70s that starred Pam Grier in the heroic lead - Coffy, Foxy Brown, Sheba Baby, Friday Foster - this last film is undoubtedly the best - best screenplay, best direction, best production values, and an excellent cast delivering wonderful (campy but restrained) performances. So why is this traditionally given the lowest rating of these films? I suspect that this has to do with the expectations of the fans of the '70s "Blaxploitation" genre. "Friday Foster" toys playfully with Blaxploitation conventions, but doesn't adhere to them. The movie is actually targeted at a developing black middle class that was college educated and both aware of the stereotypes confronting them and ambitious to overcome these. Most enduring Blaxploitation fans now are actually white. politically left, and 40 or older; they secretly enjoy the stereotypes they argue are mocked in Blaxploitation, these remind them of an era when it was easier to deal with social classes rather than individuals.

But long after Blaxploitation is forgotten as a genre, "Friday Foster" will be an enjoyable action film. The violence and danger are real enough - and very well paced, but the script and the actors performing it are witty enough to avoid taking any of it too seriously. The political message is still there, but there's no attempt to beat us over the head with it.

Finally, it has to be noted that with this film Pam Grier at last came into her own as an actress. While her range is still limited by her age and experience, she has learned to push this range to its envelope and toy with expanding beyond it. Her inflection and diction in delivering her lines, along with her careful use of of her eyes and expression, are subtly rich in wit and focus, revealing as much of the character as the script itself.

"Coffy," Grier's best known film of that era, is not really a good film, and is not amusing enough as "bad but funny" for multiple viewings. "Friday Foster" is not "bad but funny" at all, it's just a good, well-made, fun action comedy.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
T.G.I.F.
Lebowskidoo4 August 2019
Seemed like an extended episode of Starsky & Hutch, or some other 70's cop show, except with the occasional n-word getting dropped in there, casually.

Pam Grier is such a star and drop dead gorgeous.

Harmless blaxploitation fluff, for the most part.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.