Saturday Night Live (TV Series 1975– ) Poster

(1975– )

It sucks now! It's great again!
culwin1 February 2002
Every once in awhile I read reviews of SNL. Almost never do the reviews say "it was OK". Unless it is a review by a frequent viewer, they always say something like "SNL is great again!" or "SNL sucks now". Usually these reviews are from people who never or rarely watch the show, and only remember it from 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years ago. These types of reviews have been the same for as long as I can remember. The periods that people now call "classic" frequently met with poor reviews at the time.

One thing to remember is that the show is an hour and a half, longer than most any other TV show. It is hard to fill such a long show with consistently funny material. It is also hard to make every episode funny. Therefore the show (like most shows) wavers between great and awful, depending on the sketch or episode you are watching at the moment. To judge an entire series on one episode (or part of one) is a mischaracterization.

I've watched SNL for most of its life, and although it has ranged from hilarious to horrible, I would say the average show is "pretty funny". The bottom line: there's nothing better to watch on Saturday night, so until there is, I will always watch SNL!
121 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A love/hate relationship with a classic
23skidoo-422 November 2000
An earlier reviewer said this show sucks and that the "new cast" is terrible. What is interesting about SNL is how whenever there is a changeover of cast, it has become almost a tradition to hate the newcomers. In truth, however, many of the episodes that have aired in recent years -- even since the 1998 review I refer to -- have now come to be considered classics. And the cast members so many of us hated at first are now often seen in a favorable light alongside the "classic" cast of the late 1970s. And what cannot be denied is no TV program in history has been such a fertile breeding ground for future stars. Just look at the cast list and be amazed.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your TV's on and off relationship!
TheMan305113 July 2002
I like to describe this show like a on and off relationship because one year this show is funny and the next it sucks and it's like that year after year. Still it always manages to make you laugh and it has been the breakthrough show for some of the greatest comedians of all-time.
42 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The First Five Years Will Always the Classic Years
Brian Washington11 October 2003
The first five years of S.N.L. will always be the "golden era" of this show. Belushi, Akroyd, Chase, Curtain, Newman, Morris, Radner and Radner will always represent an era when some of the best comedic talent of the 1970's were all on one show and as a springboard for greatness. However, once the original cast was gone the show went in decline for me. Even though talents like Eddie Murphy, Joe Piscapo, Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Martin Short and Billy Crystal became big stars as a result of being on the show, the magic that the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players will never be duplicated. They made Saturday nights worth staying at home.
61 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
40+ years of teleprompted and safe sketch comedy, far more often than not
Michael Maggiano14 June 2016
What promised well from the early seasons has become, more seasons than not, a safe and homogenized sketch comedy. It's basically the McDonalds of TV sketch that has pushed worthier competitors out of the way for years.

Performers and writers are basically encouraged to ruin sketches with one-note repetition/dragged-out premises, breaking character (essentially on purpose) and smug self-satisfaction... and all of this in the least interesting way possible. What could have been an American version of the avante-garde sketch-breaking started with Monty Python has instead evolved into the pettiest of petty irony "lol I'm in a sketch" onanism; professional 'high school pep assembly' sketches.

The teleprompter-life-support terrible acting that has plagued the show since the 80's or so deserves its own separate paragraph.

The next part may be tough to talk about in a year as politically polarizing and maddening as 2016 is, but I'm nothing if not willfully oblivious: The sketch and satire has picked a direction instead of bravely throwing punches at all valid targets. However, due to the nature of most kinds of satire, from the Ancient Greeks onward, this political directionality itself is forgivable, even if the occasional punch in the other direction would be more intellectually honest. But far, far worse is that instead of an open-minded, sharp, liberal satire, it has chosen, especially in the last 15 years or so, a sophomore-level, party-line Democrat 'satire'. So instead of leading in their own particular apologize-to-no-one way that satirists should do (and as South Park does and The Daily Show and Colbert Report almost always did- they are not always right, but they are always satirists), they follow the party line.

Instead of the 2/10 that I'm giving for the occasional good sketch, would you find it reasonable to give a 1/10 to a show that has for 40 years: had essentially its pick of the litter on writers and performers; had a decent budget; has cornered the market (merely by being first to market) on the national attention that no other show of its kind has come close to rivaling; and for all that has given us a batting average of good/rewatchable sketches somewhere around the 5% range?
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't like the way the show is going now....
Whitney Smith19 March 2012
Been watching all of SNL this season and I'm disappointed with the way the show is moving. The skit's aren't really that great and creative anymore. I don't find myself laughing at all most episodes aside from weekend update. The music guests have absolutely sucked this season - all people I've never heard of or that just stink (no big names aside from Coldplay). Every skit also finds it's only humor in sexual innuendo's. But it's just crass jokes and not even good ones (like Sweuty's Ball's). Gonna take a break from the show for now until the writers get their act together and find funny jokes instead of just jokes about sex.
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Arrogant than Funny
John Thompson8 November 2012
This is my first review, and I write it with great sadness, about a show I've been watching and enjoying since I was a kid, in the 80's. It seems this show has been getting worse in the past few seasons, to the point where I now find it almost unwatchable. Of course, no comedy show can be funny every time, with every single sketch, but that's the beauty of a live show. My problem is not with the comedic aspect but the political and social messages that now completely overwhelm the comedy. It is blatantly left wing, portraying anyone that would disagree with it's points a nut. If I wanted that kind of show I'd watch Stewart or Colbert. Weekend Update is particularly one-sided. The point of the show now seems to be to preach to its viewers rather than to entertain. Seth Meyers comes across as the kid you hated in high school, you know, the one that always kissed the teachers' you-know-what, and ran for every student election, while having all the cool toys because his parents are filthy rich. Yeah, that kind of guy, completely unpalatable and full of himself. Furthermore, in just about every episode now, there is at least one scene which involves men kissing. I have no problem with homosexuals doing that in their private lives, but it's frankly disgusting, not at all funny, so don't throw it in the viewer's face. There are some bright points, like the new guy that plays Obama, he's an amazing impressionist. It's a shame Kristen Wiig left, she was Hilarious. I fast forward through the music acts so can't comment on those. Overall, watch the first 2 skits, then flip to some other show.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gone downhill
missy-3794710 December 2016
So sad, I've been watching the show for over two decades and I can't deal anymore. I often get so frustrated I turn it off mid show. It use to be funny now it just tries to translate offensive behavior into humor. Tonight when they offended Christian spirituality, off it went. A couple weeks ago I watched and they refused to bring on any skits that did not whine and cry about the election results and they are still mentioning it in almost every skit. Get over it already! Other things are happening in the world. No matter who won, does that mean we have to bash the upcoming new president relentlessly. Sour grapes. You are losing a huge population of viewers, enough to apparently determined the election results. When Alec Baldwin came on in the beginning of the 2016 campaign show as Trump, I admit it was hilarious but it gave equal footing to poking fun at both candidates not just bashing one. In addition you really need writing adjustments, the material is dry and humorless. Miss the old shows.
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
forget it
Talis Briedis16 March 2010
You just cant touch NRFPTP! The new crop is just awful. The jokes are not funny. Some of the troupe make me want to stop watching TV all together. Lorne - you have let your creation go down the toilet. The guests sometimes are good, the bands are mostly garbage. Weekend update, Seth has to tell the audience when to laugh.....Seth would get a proper reception in a Baghdad cafe though...Make sure Andy goes with him... The show has about 10 jokes in all and they just keep rehashing them over and over. Even the segments that are obviously not funny. Offending people has become the name of the game, but they cant even do that right. Just offensively. I am so disappointed with what has happened to the show, but now I also know it is safe to go OUT on a Saturday night!
26 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once funny, now propaganda
ortz36 November 2017
SNL used to be very funny in most of its skits, but now they have pretty much become the anti Trump show with unfunny skits mocking Trump. I hate Trump as much as the next guy, but their political skits which have been occurring non-stop for the past year are no longer the funny balanced political jabs from the 80's, instead, it's just DNC propaganda and insulting Trump in an unfunny way. Just like Seth Myers, Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah, SNL are clearly being told or bribed to spend half the show on Trump and are clearly using a laugh track because they have become so cringy and have turned a once great show into an hour and a half of propaganda.
Lorne please STOP
nameismike6930 December 2016
Why do you keep this show on the air... WHY .... Please stop the problem and just run re runs of the older older shows... More people would tune into that... Since you won't put any more seasons past 5 ... There is no point continue when you have nothing... Apparently Kate is the only thing saving it right now.... There's always one cast member that saves it from ruin.

Overrated.
jacobjohntaylor17 March 2016
For the very few sketches that are funny can not make up for all the sketches they have to are awful. This is not good. It never was good. And it never will be good. 99% of the time it is not funny at all.It does not deserve 8.2. I do not how I got away with being so bad for such a long time. People just like to laugh. They like to so mush you not have to be that funny to make people laugh. This show is very badly written. Very rare for it to be funny. It can not make up for all the times it is not. This show is pooh pooh and it needs to be cancelled. I can not believe people think this show is funny. Pooh pooh, pooh pooh. Very stinky pooh pooh.
Same crap over and over
Goldie Locks13 February 2017
Tired of the same of crap. Used to be good many years ago, but not anymore. I can't stand watching more than 5 minutes if that. Now I rather watch paint dry on a Saturday night. There isn't much to say, I'm just babbling on like most of the skits on Saturday Night Live. Same thing over and over every week now, bashing this person and that person in very poor taste. Lorne Michaels you suck and it shows that you are done, give up, retire old man, and let someone else take the lead of this once good show. Maybe someone who is not so bias, someone who shows both parts of a story. You have bored most people for long enough. Time to go.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Talk About A Roller-coaster
PartialMovieViewer15 June 2014
Not much of a fan now. It has nothing to do with the program being good or bad, just lost interest. There are years worth seeing because they were funny as hell, then there are some with memorable guests and then there were those where you sat for the entire show waiting for that one funny line. Sometimes those lines never come - and your time is wasted. It is too bad that this is pretty much a political sell-out now-a- days, but when ever I do stumble on a show it does have some funny moments. Many cast members have moved on to bigger and better things, and there are some who just moved on. Whatever the case may be, fresh faces, new skits, and new senses of humor are great...I am just done with show as weekly viewing. I guess it's become too formulaic.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did "Saturday Night Live" ever become so UNfunny?
Ron Hardcastle11 November 2009
I was a huge "SNL" fan back in the days of Chevy Chase, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner and many other memorable stars. But every time I've tried to watch it in the past more than ten years I've been very disappointed and sometimes even disgusted with it. Ten years ago I believed the show couldn't possibly survive, since it had become so utterly bereft of the sort of humor I could understand, and yet it kept plugging along, which I've always found dismaying, wondering how in the world anyone could possibly find its lame humor at all funny. Whenever I've tuned in over the past decade I've never once been glad that I did. Indeed, I've always been annoyed at myself for staying up and wasting my time. For me, the absolute low point came several years ago when a popular young male actor I liked a lot was the guest host. At one point that night he played a big star, perhaps himself, and in the skit, the character "Mongo," I think, played by Chris Kattan, again I think, ended up in the backseat of a car with him. What followed was Mongo being forced up and down and up and down on the actor's lap, with him screaming hysterically as he was presumably sodomized. The audience was laughing their heads off and I'm shaking my head, amazed that they could find that remotely funny, amazed that NBC would even broadcast such a thing. In the years since then I've repeatedly tried to approach the show with an open mind, hoping that it might regain the sly sense of humor I adored for so many years. But, up until just a week ago, for me, it hasn't done so. Not even close. One exception: During the 2008 presidential campaign, I thought that Tina Fey was fantastic, and she was the one performer who kept me tuning in. But those Sarah Palin skits, while hysterical, were still not enough to save the rest of the 90 minutes and I would always regret not turning it off as soon as I heard the familiar "It's 'Saturday Night!!!'"
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did the writers go on strike???
Red Wood25 August 2006
What was unique about "NBC's Saturday Night", in 1975, was that it brought back the ninety minute variety format-except for that now it was late night TV. "Your Show of Shows"(1950-54) was the previous comedy-variety 90 minute show. There were other regular 90 minute programs over the years, as well: boxing events in TV's earliest years, and later, late night TV("Tonight", which would eventually become "The Tonight Show"), a dramatic anthology("Playhouse 90"), cultural fare("Omnibus"), westerns("The Virginian", "Cimarron Strip"), an adventure series("Name of the Game"), other sporting events, & a rotating detective 'movie'(NBC's Sunday Mystery Movie), all running 90 minutes. However, "NBC's Saturday Night" was, really, the heir to the Sid Caesar throne, so to speak. Since 1954, there hadn't been another comedy-variety show of such length.

Also, since the early days of live comedy and theater drama, there hadn't been a live television staple, pretty much since the early sixties. That all changed in October 1975. The writing was a bit biting: besides the standard continuing comedy sketches, there was political satire, too-often seen on the 'Weekend Update' news sketch, which was handled by regular Chevy Chase, and was reminiscent to earlier shows like "That Was the Week That Was" and "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour". There was a musical guest, sometimes a talent act, and a short film(comic filmmaker Albert Brooks started out here, and later, the 'Mr.Bill' shorts were a standard). To give an idea of the multitude of variety format, on the second broadcast, the guest host was singer Paul Simon, Albert Brooks offered one of his film shorts, the musical guests for the evening were Randy Newman and Phoebe Snow-with a special surprise by Simon and Art Garfunkel, and a sketch with Jim Henson's Muppets(Henson was trying to break out from under the weight of the kiddie programs "Sesame Street" and several 'family' specials). In that day, the regulars were tagged 'The Not-Ready-for-Primetime Players', and included Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, and Chase(who were all, eventually, part of the writing staff, as well). The show was definitely unique, a breath of fresh air in the midst of a pop-culture takeover(similar in what was happening to cinema, as well, @ the time).

Over the years, the show has gotten thru some tough times, but has never really seemed as challenging as in those early days. Perhaps this is the norm when something so unique and new becomes the common, but, it seems, that once the originals went their own ways, after having broken thru certain cultural taboos, their followers just seemed to be more set on breaking through the language(four letter words) & innuendo barriers. True, the writing was never perfect, and could be quite silly, in fact, even in those earliest days. However, much of it was satire handled like nothing else on TV at that time. It was often quite innovative and challenging. There have been times, actually, where the writing has gone beyond the late night standard(as in the late 80s-Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz era-and, recently, with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Chris Parnell, Daryl Hammond, and Horatio Sanz), but, overall, it was more focused on the likes of adult diaper sketches and, like most TV-lots of sex. Now, the show has really never been short of good comics, but when it comes to the actual comedy, it's often been sub par. It's good to see that there actually are some brains behind the show, again, though. Except after so many years, does it really matter anymore? I mean, is it really the same cutting edge broadcast it was so many years ago, now with a vast budget and few surprises? The writing may be better, again, but where's the creativity gone? Ironically, with all the evidence available, maybe 'The Not-Ready-for-Primetime Players' were more ready than ever. -Concerned viewer
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame, boring, repetitive, no good content
Hillarysupporter18 March 2017
Who invited all the Hillary supporters? Why did they replace the entire cast with a bunch of liberals? Why is this now all about politics? When the entire cast are the only ones laughing at their annoying statements(yes I didn't call them jokes) you know the show went down the drain. Who is even writing the scripts? A lab of monkeys can be funnier than these low life's. How about instead of framing people who oppose your opinions as racists, bigots, in other words people who shouldn't be part of YOUR society, how about you write things that are actually funny. Oh wait, since when did it become YOUR society. This is OUR society and every man woman and child has an equal say. Stop pushing your views onto people because that is not comedy. That's CNN and CNN is not funny. Please get back to making people laugh instead of feeling awkward, judged, feel like they don't belong.
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SNL does suck
caiyteescrochet16 January 2017
I am sick of SNL and their Trump skits... their "bathroom humor skits"... basically they are just plain NOT funny. Any of their political "humor" is no longer funny. We need another Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Jane Curtain, Rosanna-anna-danna or Dan Akroyd. It hasn't been any good since then. There is no talent on that show anymore. They continually pick on the same celebrities/political figures and are very biased. What happened to all is fair in love and comedy? The show has been around a long time...too long. I think it's time they stopped it now and replaced it with another evening talk show.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And the big debate is...?
sngbrd3921 August 2000
I started watching SNL about when the current cast (Ferrell, Hammond, etc.) came in, and I don't see why everyone says it sucks. Yes, there are slow sketches, and yes, some performers are sub-par. Every cast can't be the first (Belushi, Aykroyd, etc.), can it? There is almost always at least one sketch in each show that will make me laugh. Usually, there are more than that. On a good night, I'm crying laughing. And for those of you who say the current cast sucks, there are going to be a whole bunch of new people in the 2000-01 season, so maybe you can tune back in and give the new ones a chance.

What I really don't get, though, is why everyone has to be an SNL or Mad TV loyalist. Why isn't there room to like both? I know I do. Most Saturday nights, I'll watch the first half-hour of Mad TV, then flip back and forth between it and SNL for the next half-hour. Call me wishy-washy if you want, but that's just what I think.
44 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm done.
Greg24 October 2017
I'm politically leftward and these days *I* find snl unwatchable. It's basically Democratic Party propaganda pretending to be comedy. Kate McKinnon singing Leonard Cohen's "Halleluiah" and that "To Sir, With Love" number after last year's election were very clear messages of what the show has become. It used to be much more balanced - and funny! If you doubt me, watch all those debate parodies they did in the 1988 election season. And — as with every other live show now — the studio audience is far too loud and screamy. And the enthusiasm they show makes no sense with what's on stage. Are they all given cocaine at 11:29?

Another reviewer described snl as a bank that's "too big to fail". I agree. No matter how bad it gets, it'll never go away. Fortunately we the audience can go away, and I finally have.

(p.s. IMDb rates this show an 8.2, but notice how all the recent reviews are only one star. I think that tells you something.)
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enough already.
O2D3 May 2017
In the entire history of this show they have never had a host that I wanted to see.There have probably been only two or three that I have ever seen anywhere else.Watching a person I have never seen before singing an unfunny song got old years ago but they still do it every week.They have had two bands that I liked and one of them (Fear) was never shown in any repeats.It seems like they only have bands that small children listen to, which is very weird for a show that's on so late.But the show isn't supposed to be about the hosts or bands, it's supposed to be about comedy and there's very little of that.I can't remember the last time this show made me laugh.However I can remember what I see and this week they had the nerve to replay a fake commercial.Have they finally realized they have no real content and are just giving up?I watch every week hoping it might be funny and it never is.But what would you expect from a show that fired Norm Macdonald and David Koechner?It's very clear that they don't even know what comedy is anymore.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It use to be great
sargentpwinkle9 April 2017
SNL use to be awesome, the awesome skits, the great host etc. But now ever since the 2016 election, it went down hill. Every skit is about Trump and Hillary. Its terrible. I actually found it funny the first 2 episodes but now its plain boring. This actually also refers to talk shows, like Jummy Kimmel/Fallon Seth Myers, Conan and that one old guy. They all talk about them. I really don't see how people arn't bored of it yet. Its sad you half to mention trumps name just to keep your ratings high. :/
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Show tolerates racism and bigotry against Whites!
vellesium14 October 2014
This show had had it's day! Sarah Silverman was apart of a sketch celebrating the decline of Whites in America and that by 2050 White Americans will be a minority! The people who were in the sketch need to apologize, as well as the producers of the show and also the TV network NBC.

Racism against Whites is in full swing, there was a book written called White Girl Bleed A Lot by Colin Flaherty. If people really care about human rights, racism and everything else, this kind of bigotry should not be tolerated.

The link is here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87OfXVSSQQg
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe this garbage is still on TV, influencing dumb people.
keelhaul-808567 September 2017
SNL has a 8.1 rating, but I hope this is due to the show's longevity and earlier years, which actually produced some good skits and comedy legends. However, since those long past days, it has become some sort of monstrous institution, reminding me of banks that are "too big to fail". I feel that any reasonable person could see that this show should have gone off years ago. The dumb setup hasn't been that funny for 10 yrs. It wants to be so classy and cool, but to me, that crushes its appeal. Lame musical guests, many of whom are bubblegum performers lip syncing; a nonstop extension media platform of the Democratic Party and extreme PC "progressive" views, marketed as normal and divine; really tired and dry humor, lacking any real originality or down-to-earth appeal; focus on "celebrities" who are idiots; every SNL twit is now worshiped as Hollyweird royalty and gets 50 movies and spin-off shows or deals after joining the "cool kids" clique; The writers suck--at one point, it seemed half the skits just ended with men kissing other men, or trotting out the 500th Donald Trump impersonation(which can be funny, but is very tired at this point); the political bias is so obvious in their treatment of Obama, who was barely mentioned or ridiculed, or a background character, while crucifying Trump in skits that don't even require his presence(I mean, really, we get it. You are liberal NY progressive hipsters who think Southerners, conservatives, and anyone who disagrees with you are stupid, and Trump is Hitler. We got it like the 300th time. Can we do something else that doesn't remind us of all the division and crap from politics at night?); people laughing at themselves during the skits or audience laughs when it isn't even remotely funny, etc. The only good things they had in the last 20 yrs. were Weekend Update(not anymore), the digital shorts(which are still funny), and an occasional great host(like the return of Dave Chappelle to TV).
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.