Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) Poster

the ultimate nonsense comedy
vladymirror27 August 2003
Well, this is unquestionably one of the funniest movies ever made. The first time a saw it I laughed to tears and this is the only time that counts. The first time you get the best experience. I really envy those who haven't seen it yet.

From the opening scene to the sudden ending this one won't let you leave the room. Especially the opening scene: "Are you trying to say that coconuts migrate" or when John Cleese trying to be Tarzan, hanging on the rope said: "Can somebody give me a push." An absolute masterpiece.

Considering the low budget that the creators of the movie had at their disposal would probably make "The Holy Grail" the best movie in this genre-silly nonsense kind of stuff. It shows the great creativity and acting capabilities of the Monty Python crew. It comes to say that a movie can be made with a little bit of money - a great movie. 10 out of 10
214 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They could grab it by the husk.....
Manthorpe16 February 2004
King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table set out on a quest to find the Holy Grail...as told to do so by a cartoon God that lives in the clouds...

Easily the most hilarious and original comedy ever made, Monty Python and the Holy Grail claims it's undisputed throne through insanely ridiculous situations and characters that will very likely never be duplicated. Pure comedic genius that doesn't go stale with age or decades of competition having been released. Simply seeing the way comedy films are made today, this film will very likely have a long reign before anything can even hold a candle to it. An absolute belly-laugh fest that never lets up.

Only the cast of Monty Python could have pulled this film off, with each actor playing many different characters...all hilarious! The genius in the actors' lines themselves are truly to be admired. The comedic style of talking in circles is one technique that most comedies do not try to do, simply because they can't compete with the genius of this film, which uses it flawlessly. Those that do try usually fall flat on their faces. Two particularly excellent examples of this can be seen in the beginning scene, in which the characters discuss the origins of coconuts.....and the other when Lancelot breaks into the swamp castle to save the "damsel in distress." This is merely one technique that the cast has perfected to conjure up laughs consistently throughout the entire film. The only way that I can imagine that someone might not like this film is if they simply do not enjoy it's type of humor. Too bad for them.

Another hilarious technique used in the film is the use of comedy in the background. From people slamming cats against poles for no apparent reason, to people filling up baskets with mud in the fields....all very strange and hilarious at the same time. It's also simply amazing that all of the characters are played by the same group of actors, which shows the great range all of them have. Some are simply unrecognizable from one character to the other and it sometimes takes a good eye to pick them out, which makes it fun. And I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but this film takes some turns that no sane person could see coming.

Ridiculous characters in ridiculous situations equals ridiculous laughter.

The epitome of all-star comedy that will no doubt continue to stand the test of time. Kudos to Gilliam and the rest of the Python crew. If you haven't seen it yet, make it your first priority in life!
190 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The reason Robin Williams isn't in a nut house.
uckpshh3 October 2004
This is perhaps one of the greatest, funniest parodies in the history of film. I think the greatest definition of irony is that to be believably stupid on screen, you have to be very intelligent. This is a rare occasion where something can be so stupid that it's funny, with the addition of feeling you got your money's worth at the end. Examples of failures would be anchorman, austin powers, scary movie etc. The gore and clichés of three headed, and goofy "NI!" yelling knights are what give this movie discreet beauty.

Did I mention that the acting is also very good for a movie of this sort. All of the main characters, as they do in the series, take on numerous characters, all of whom are well established and each have their quirks about them. This was a well written, well thought out, and perfectly directed, low budget comedy. The funniest of any monty python film, and amongst the top comedies of all time. I laughed from beginning to end and bruised one of my lungs. I highly recommend this film to anyone. This is living proof that all you need is a good script and good actors.
290 out of 359 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WHAT is the capital of Assyria? I don't know that!
Max_cinefilo8928 March 2006
I do know, however, that Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the funniest movies ever made. Let's face it, if the Python hadn't showed up in 1969, someone would have created them by now, or the world would be a much sadder place. Alongside Life of Brian, which is the sextet's masterpiece, Holy Grail is an excellent start if you want to get addicted to their surreal humor.

As suggested in the title, the film deals with the Arthurian stories, freely reinterpreted by the Python ensemble: after recruiting his knights, including Sir Lancelot (John Cleese), Sir Robin (Eric Idle), Sir Bedevere (Terry Jones) and Sir Galahad (Michael Palin), King Arthur (Graham Chapman) embarks on a mission from God (also Chapman, voice only though): to seek and find the Holy Grail. No need to say, the journey is going to be perilous, but also hilarious, our heroes doing their "best" to screw everything up.

As in Life of Brian, there are so many good bits choosing just one or two feels reductive and disrespectful, given the material. It's pure comedy gold from start to finish, a non-stop gag marathon: from the mock Scandinavian subtitles in the opening credits to the argument about swallows, from the Killer Rabbit to the Black Knight and the jaw-dropping epilogue, you will keep grinning like never before (if you're unfamiliar with these comedians, that is). Actually, after some serious thinking I can select two particular sequences as particularly memorable: the Knights who say "Ni!" and the Bridge of Death. The rest of the film is ace too, but those two scenes are the ones I can't stop thinking of fondly whenever the movie is mentioned.

Oh, and let's not forget Terry Gilliam's vital contribution: he doesn't appear that much as an actor (his Bridgekeeper is absolute genius, though), but he compensates that with the remarkable animations used to depict part of this epic adventure. Speaking of epic, this picture has one of the most brilliant tag-lines in comedy history, if not film history in general.

Oh yes, the world wouldn't be quite the same without the Monty Python. Even the most miserable person on the planet will laugh like a lunatic after viewing any of their films.

P.S. Ni!
54 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The King of Comedies!
lambiepie-218 May 2003
The first time I saw this was on CBS at 11:30 on a Friday night. I had seen a few Monty Python shows on PBS, so I knew who they were, and I was very interested in seeing this.

This film shows you just what all around comedy is all about.

It starts during the opening credits and ends in a way you don't see coming. The songs are....memorable. The drawings/animation are imaginative for its time and the Monty Python troupe was at its shining best playing a host of characters from the days of King Arthur. If you don't laugh at this today, you have no funny bone! Many other reviewers here hit this film on the nose, there isn't much more to add to how brilliant this piece of work it.

This is one of my all time favorites and is one of the top 10 films of all time.
103 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Monty Python at their best
mjw230522 January 2005
In the Realm of King Arthur, the Monty Python team set out on a quest to recruit the best Knights in the kingdom and find the Holy Grail.

This is Classic Python Mayhem, where we encounter Killer rabbits, Knights who go Nee! and Horny Nuns who lure the unsuspecting in with there Grail Shaped Beacon.

The Cast all give Typically Hilarious Performances, bringing another must see to the Python Loving Audience.

If You Like Monty Python, you'll love it, if you don't then stay away.

If you've never seen Monty Python before then give it a try, yes it's dated but its still great fun.

Also see, The Life Of Brian and The Meaning of Life
68 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful movie!
marac-128 November 2004
This is such a great film that a professor of mine actually used it in a Medieval Civilization class as extra credit. This was not because the movie was so historically accurate, but because the movie was so much funnier when we applied what we learned in her class to it! It was really hard to pick only 10 funny lines!

To anyone that watched it once and didn't quite get it or got frustrated the first time, here is a tip: Catch it on DVD with the subtitles or closed-captioning on. That way you will be sure to catch all of the French insults and the other one-liners that fly by so fast! I don't recommend doing that with kids in the room - my 7-year-old picked up a couple of words on the screen that he had missed previously...

Enjoy!
87 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Silliest Film Ever Made...
MovieAddict201627 October 2003
From a technical viewpoint, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" could be called a seriously flawed and impaired film. Filmed on location in the UK with a minimal budget and regular "Python" cast members, I seriously doubt that anyone working on the project at the time had believed it would spark such a cultural phenomenon. And revisiting the movie now, post its release 28 years ago, is magical.

First-time viewers may be puzzled by the film's odd opening--in fact, stories of those who thought that they had entered into the wrong screening room come in abundance. But as soon as the voice of the coarse British man is audible the viewer realizes that he or she has been duped once again by the Python Troupe.

King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table have been sent on a most glorious quest by God Himself--to seek and maintain the Holy Grail, the legendary cup that Christ drank from during The Last Supper, prior to His execution, and which later caught His blood as he was left danging upon the cross.

But the seriousness surrounding the Holy Grail is left wholly untouched by the members of Monty Python--instead, we follow King Arthur and his men as they come upon an odd assortment of characters, including The Black Knight, Dennis, The Knights Who Say "Ni!", and The Killer Rabbit, all of whom hinder the daring soldiers in their quest for the Holy Grail.

Many people will find the humor of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" ingenious, while others will find the exact same jokes and stints repetitive and ridiculous. I myself did not enjoy the film the first time I saw it as a child, but over the years I have come to appreciate its humor a bit more. I still find the jokes a bit too stretched out at times, and certain gags, though hilarious the first ten times, get a bit humorless the twentieth time around (the coconuts, for example, which are amazingly silly when first introduced, soon become tiring when they are treated as the highlight of a joke repetitively). However, often enough the jokes introduced at certain points in the films are merely played in the background further into the film--for example, the fact that the men do not ride on horses is quite a major idea the first time it is revealed, and becomes the central subject of a conversation between Arthur and the man atop the castle battlements. But later on the notion of no horses is played smaller and in the background as so we can concentrate on the current jokes at hand, as well as the missing horses as an added bonus.

There is absolutely nothing to truthfully discuss about "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," other than to say that at first it seems quite obnoxious, but it starts to grow on you. And this movie has definitely made a deep dig into our culture. In fact, on the commentary track for the newer DVD, John Cleese mentions that a pro American football player (or "footballer" as the English call them) and his buddy were thinking of a plan in the midst of a serious game. Their strategy was this on the field: Run away! Run away!

There are countless classic scenes, including the battle between The Black Knight and King Arthur ("I've had worse!"); the scene where Sir Lancelot the Brave (or Launcelot, as the script for the film names him) storms the Swamp Castle in hopes of rescuing a fair maiden and, in result, ends up destroying everything in his path (including the candle mounted along the wall leading to the spiralling staircase), saying that he gets a bit frantic and over-excited in this genre; Sir Robin and the Three-Headed Knight ("...when danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled..."); The Knights Who Say "Ni!" and their request for a shrubbery; the Killer Rabbit's attack on Arthur's merry men. That's just to name a few memorable scenes.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" may be the silliest film ever put on celluloid. It rarely makes sense, sometimes falls a bit flat, but always puts a smile on your face. And that's an achievement.
57 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Much fun inside
randall pennington23 December 2004
This has got to be one of the side-splittingly funniest films of all time.No one can deliver such cerebral humor as the pythonians,and this is truly their finest hour(OK,so its about an hour and a half).This film doesn't even wait for the show to begin to start you laughing,it goes for the throat during the opening credits(sorry I don't want to ruin it for you).It made me laugh till my tears were crying.If you are a single chap, and you want to know if a certain girl is right for you,then try this.Bring her to your home,cook her a wonderful meal,complete with a great bottle of wine,then plop her down in front of the telly and start this video(or DVD,whatever).If she is not laughing hysterically within ten minutes,then turn off the box,and break up with her immediately,as she has an impaired humor center in her brain(and will only cause you tremendous misery in the coming years).I only wish I had known of the "python Challenge" during my dating days.It would have saved me years of unremitting heartache(as well as thousands in legal fees). Please trust me on this one,it might just save your life.I give this movie an unrepentant 10,but would give it a 20+ if it were an option.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably the best comedy ever made.
Drew St. Pierre20 June 2012
I heard a lot of things about Monty Python and the Holy Grail from my friends who had seen it. They said that it was the funniest movie that they had ever seen, and so I suggested that I must pick up this movie on DVD and watch it. So, I sat down, watched it and I agree that this is probably one of the, if not, "the" best comedy ever made.

STORY: Monty Python and the Holy Grail follows Arthur, King of the Britons (Graham Chapman) and his servant Patsy (Terry Gilliam); who they're looking for some knights to join them at Camelot. When they meet, King Arthur gets a message from God that he and his fellow knights must go on a quest to find the Holy Grail. When they do that, they come across very ridiculous, but rather amusing encounters.

MY THOUGHTS: The humor in Monty Python and the Holy Grail is so silly and clever that it blows every American comedy that has been made in the last couple of years out of the water. British comedy literally isn't painfully dumb than American comedy, although ridiculous, the humor in British comedy can make you laugh. That's what I liked a lot in Monty Python and the Holy Grail; is the humor.

Some of the animations are beautifully drawn and it gives a way to set up the subplot; just excellent. The way they used coconut halves and banging them together to make it sound like a horse trotting is so amusingly clever. The encounters were so funny and genuinely amusing, especially the encounter with The Black Knight, which I think is one of the silliest scenes in the history of comedy ("'Tis but a scratch." "Just a flesh wound."). And the part where King Arthur and his knights come across a French soldier who is taunting, another very hilarious scene ("I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries."). There is also more, which I won't give away because I don't want to spoil the whole movie for everybody who hasn't seen this movie.

The main characters and a few of the supporting characters like Tim the Enchanter and Prince Herbert are very likable, hilarious, and well-developed. Although the rest have short appearances, they were funny as well. There were a lot of silly moments in Monty Python and the Holy Grail that I suggest that people should definitely check out.

THE ACTING: The acting in this is excellent and very funny. Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, among the other guys from "Monty Python", they do excellent playing multiple roles.

IN CONCLUSION: Monty Python and the Holy Grail is – without a doubt – the best comedy ever made. I can't recommend this movie enough. This is definitely worth checking out.

21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inspired lunacy
marcus-walsh27 August 2010
With close to 600 reviews on IMDb, nearly all of them wildly positive, one adds another about Month Python and the Holy Grail for much the same reason as one lights a candle in a church - to pay tribute to something or somebody that truly deserves to be remembered no matter how many others may have done it before.

Inspired lunacy from start to end, this is a one-off film unlike any other and certainly the Python team at its peak. A sure sign of its unique features is that it hasn't been copied: there is no Holy Grail #2, Holy Grail Revisited or whatever for the simple reason that even the cretin script writers of today are brainy enough to realise this level of skill is untouchable - the Holy Grail, in fact.

I first howled with laughter at this flick aged fifteen, a few years after its release, and consider myself lucky - giggly teen age is probably the best time to be initiated to Python. Tonight, watching my own son go into paroxysms over the Black Night losing all his limbs, and the gorge guardian being flung down for confusing his swallows, made me realise that the Holy Grail has become an unlikely classic. It may well be one of the 50-odd 1900s films being watched in the year 3000. The Pythons did a lot of overrated stuff, but this is sublime.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pure Lunacy
ccthemovieman-13 April 2006
Well, if you want original humor, meaning something different than what you normally see - this is your ticket. The above statement was true 30 years ago, and still holds. It's just silly, far-out humor.

It's not all winners, no comedy is, but there are enough of them, and enough classic bizarre scenes that it's always a hoot to re-visit this film from time to time. The only problem I have with it are the cheap shots in gives - in typical 1970s fashion - of anything Biblical. But, it's not that bad and most of the film is pretty innocent.

It's pretty much one ludicrous scene after another. I mean, where else do you see a knight fighting on after his legs are chopped off, then his arms?!! Or a killer rabbit? It was almost like watching a Marx Brothers film 40 years later with '70s irreverence.

Don't let the PG rating fool you. This would be an easy PG-13 today with all the blood, some cursing and the violence. I know some young kids, however - nice kids, too - who love this film as much as adults, so it can't be too offensive.

If I had to describe this movie in one word it would be "lunacy."
73 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
We are the knights who say...this film is BRILLIANT
madam_Q1 October 2004
*MINOR SPOILERS*

God, how I love this movie. And perhaps even more so for being a fan of the time honored myths and legends this film so skillfully lampoons.

This is not so much a film as a collection of sketches - the narrative is not so tightly strung together as in the other Python classic, The Life of Brian, but how could this matter when there are so many moments of knicker-wettingly brilliant hilarity? There's the 'Invincible' Black Knight ("I'll bite your kneecaps off!")....the Castle Anthrax ("Can't I have just a little more peril?") and, my most oft quoted moment, the French who defeat Arthur and his knights, by first taunting them and then slinging farm animals over the castle walls. I post on message boards here quite often, and still tend to pull out "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" as an insult when the going gets tough!

The Python's strength lies in the fact that they are masters of humour in all it's forms. They are equally at home with schoolboy smut as they are with high brow satire - and the result is a film which constantly throws the audience curveballs and leaves them wondering what to expect.

My favourite Python, the wonderful John Cleese, excels yet again in multiple roles as the noble Lancelot, the Black Knight and Tim the Enchanter, among others. You get the impression of barely contained rage hidden within Cleese's rangy form, and I often wonder how he would make the transition to dramatic performances. Robin Williams has made the jump, while Steve Martin has had less success - and they are two comedians who's on screen personas are considerably more "cuddly" than Cleese. The scene in which Lancelot storms the castle to rescue Prince Herbert from his impending wedding, believing that there is in fact a princess held captive, is a highlight for me. This is purely because of Cleese's rather gentlemanly reaction to news that he, in his onslaught, stabbed the bride's father in the head - "Oh dear. Is he alright?"

And then there's the Holy Hand Grenade of Saint Antioch. "And he, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it!" And the witch trial, featuring some incredibly dense peasants...."She turned me into a newt.....I got better!" Then there are the communist peasants..."I didn't know we had a king! I thought we were an autonomous collective!" And, of course, the Knights Who Say Ni.

Irreverent, childish....utterly hilarious. Complete class from start to finish.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Without a doubt, the funniest film I've ever seen.
kagrisier24 February 2007
There's a huge difference between American humor and British humor. American humor is the fart and burp joke while British humor is the arguing over a pointless subject joke. Python is British. Therefore, there will be many people who won't "get" this film. But those who do will have the comedy experience of a lifetime.

With a plot that can be summed up in 10 words (King Arthur and his knights search for the Holy Grail), this film isn't deep or emotional. However, the dialogue is so funny and the acting so excellent that the film feels like an epic-minus a large budget. The budget is the only problem with the film, and it doesn't detract much. You might notice the crummy special effects, but there aren't many, so it doesn't matter. Other than that, the film is beautifully shot. The epic Scottish landscapes are perfect for the film. The medieval costumes and sets are also great, but it's the acting which makes this film a true classic.

All the Pythons are fantastic. Graham Chapman is hilarious as the straight-faced King Arthur, along with a few other roles. His straight man occasionally delves into the "silly", which makes for an excellent performance. John Cleese, my personal favorite of the Pythons, is funny as the French Taunter and- my favorite role in the film- the eccentric, pyromaniac, spitting Tim the Enchanter! Michael Palin has one of the funniest moments in the film while in the Castle Anthrax with about 20 young girls. Terry Jones is a riot as the timid Prince Herbert, who sounds like Michael Crawford and yearns to escape his castle with Sir Lancelot. Eric Idle is very funny as Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir Lancelot, who frequently wets his pants and runs away. And Terry Gilliam, besides providing beautiful animation sequences, has a variety of funny small roles, including the "horse" Patsy.

Not a scene goes by that isn't funny. The humor is rich, including Knights who Say Ni, Killer Rabbits, politically active peasants, a knight who refuses to give up even when he's lost all his limbs, and a group of minstrels who sing of "bravely running away". The film is the funniest film I've ever seen. Shouldn't that be good enough for you?
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The great group Monty Python stands out in this often uproariously fun and hilarious classic movie
ma-cortes4 July 2015
Delightful as well as hilarious satire about King Arthur and his knights embark on a low-budget search for the Grail, encountering many very silly obstacles . This is an imaginative , glamorous , chaotic fantasy based on a haunting journey carried out by King Arthur (early deceased Graham Chapman) and his botcher knights .

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) results to be a spectacular legendary tale filled with irony , slapstick , adventure and fantasy ; being efficiently directed by Terry Gilliam . Irreverent and often sidesplitting nonsense comedy/satire of Middle Age movies that will probably like to nutty humor fans , including many Political and Social comments . Both John Cleese and Terry Gilliam performed all their stunts during the duel between Black and Green Knight , they both had to learn to manage big and heavy swords and to do some acrobatics, though never being recognizable, wearing both heavy armors and full helmets . The French tactic of pelting Arthur and his knights with livestock echoes the relatively modern legend of a medieval siege of the fortified southern French town of Carcassonne ; said to have been near starvation, the townspeople used the last of their food to pelt the besieging army to convince them, suffering likewise, that the town was well stocked with food and that the siege was hopeless. Adequate production design , he interiors of Camelot and Swamp Castle, and exteriors of Castle Anthrax, French Castle and the opening castle were all shot at Doune Castle . Recently-rebuilt Castle Stalker was used for the Castle Aarrgg ; however the Scottish Department of the Environment withdrew permission for the Pythons to shoot within their castles, saying that the film's script would be "incompatible with the history and fabric" of the castles . The flick was imaginatively directed by Terry Gilliam , an expert on wonderful , surreal atmospheres such as Baron Munchausen , Twelve monkeys , Time bandits , Brazil , Fisher king , Jabberwocky and Heath Leger's last film : Doctor Parnasus . The film might be described as an extraordinary Medieval fantasy full of imagination and color . Six cast members played various characters such as Graham Chapman , John Cleese , Terry Gilliam , Eric Idle , Terry Jones and Michael Palin who plays the most characters , 12 . Though the movie has been directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones , there were a lot of the frictions and conflicts .

Lively and evocative Original Music , including jolly melodies . Colorful as well as evocative Cinematography . The motion picture was well directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones . In 1965, with his friend Michael Palin, they made The Late Show (1966) for television, which was his first success and he wrote for many other TV shows . But Terry Gilliam' greatest success was the zany Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-74) (with Palin, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Jones and Eric Idle) and other hits such as Jabberwocky , The meaning of life , and especially Life of Brian and this Monty Python and the Holy Grail and this Life of Brian , among others . Rating : Good , better than average . Worthwhile watching .
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Now watch this movie or I shall taunt you for a second time!
padiyark14 November 2011
I will preface this by saying that while I'm not a big Monty Python fan, when they get it right, it is brilliant. The show had some great sketches, but some were just bizarre and incomprehensible. The movie is 100% on the mark, starting from the titles with subtitles to its off the wall ending.

It would be a disservice to explain the movie and the great scenes in this review. But a few things to note.

First, when you take into account that this film was done in 1974, most medieval movies of the time were glamorous set pieces with handsome knights and beautiful princesses. The Pythons skewered this notion completely: Arthur and his knights were commonplace blokes, and the sets were in some muggy, ugly areas. This may have been a budgetary issue, but interestingly enough, they probably depicted medieval England more authentically than even films nowadays.

Second, the amount of times the fourth wall is broken are numerous, and just goes to shows how dementedly hilarious the movie gets, but yet still holds the story well.

That said, if you have never seen Monty Python (who hasn't?), this is a whole different level of comedy--yes, silly is about right, but not in the crude "Paul Blart" or "Larry the Cable Guy" type of silly, but at the same time, not the cerebral "Dr. Strangelove" type of silliness.

Must watch.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warning-you could laugh yourself to death
drystyx14 December 2006
You really could laugh yourself to death watching this movie. It is nothing but hilarious. Monty Python keeps pounding and pounding you with gag after gag, and lead you down a road, but suddenly its a bridge, no, its an ocean. One of the things that really makes this hilarious is the grand spectacle that dazzles you with attention to grand sound effects, and then the next scene may be purposely cheap sets, all to make you laugh yourself to death. There is crude humor, and what I think can fairly be described as dark humor-you might not think its funny to see an animal with big teeth rip several knights to death, or a knight have his arms and legs cut off, but Monty Python will make you laugh at it. I personally think they're akin to Marx Brothers comedy, or Mel Brooks-hilarious with likable people in outrageous situations.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a great film, a brillant send-up of medieval movies and lore
apilon22 July 2003
The first feature-length film from Monty Python, the quintet of physically and verbally gymnastic British sketch comics, is not only widely considered their funniest, but one of the funniest films ever committed to celluloid. Known for abruptly ending TV skits mid-stream with the segue "And now for something completely different" -- due both to their distaste for writing endings and their ADD giddiness to move onward -- the troupe finds uncharacteristic continuity here, examining one fertile topic from each of its absurd angles. Yet the movie is still comprised of distinct segments, any of which could serve as a favorite for fans who want to recite the choicest dialogue and make converts of the uninitiated. But for five minutes of sheer uncontrollable hysterics, one need only watch the scene in which Graham Chapman steadily lops the limbs from a foolishly determined knight, who continues issuing taunts even after he's been totally neutralized. Irritated more than threatened, Chapman's King Arthur keeps hacking at the prating cripple just to shut him up -- it's the only sane reaction in this ridiculous world full of delusional windbags. Chapman is a wonderful constant as the frustrated straight man, and his colleagues lob one demented set piece after another "in his general direction." The temptation is to enumerate these clever interludes, but a catapulted cow really needs to be seen to be appreciated. The only time Monty Python and the Holy Grail stumbles is at its sudden ending, a cop-out that's pure Python. Or maybe it's just that any end to such enlightened joke slinging is cause for lament.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pull the other one!
BohemeLVB20 June 2004
Proof, yet again, that the biggest budget will get you nothing but fancy effects. The script is the most important part, and this one sizzles. Perhaps one of the funniest movies of all time. Yes, there is a British sense of humor, but unlike many English movies and understanding of British humor is not entirely required. There is physical comedy, musical comedy "It's only a model". And of course it wouldn't be a Monty Python movie without ripping "society" a new butt. "Oh, King, eh? Very nice." "Bring out your dead!"

4 stars
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fetchez la vache
crazychap4 December 2004
I also recommend anyone to see this film, otherwise, I will "fetchez la vache", which is among my favourite lines of the movie. I saw it first when I was a kid but I didn't really get it-- obviously, you don't understand what social critique and mockery are when you're 9 years old. But when I saw it again recently, I just bursted out with laughter, from the deliberate errors in the opening credits to the French Guards to the killer rabbit and so forth. For 90 minutes, Me and my flatmate laughed out so loudly that Sarah, one of our neighbours, almost called the police on us-- I didn't see any reason why she should. She didn't do it because she eventually went along and laughed out loud, too! I dated her for that 3 days later!
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
without a doubt the funniest movie ever!!!
gid_rulz5 January 2011
i recently re watched this movie for about the 20th time and still was reduced to tears out of pure hysteria. this movie is true comedy and almost every part will have you laughing. the first time i watched this movie i was crying so hard from laughter during the opening credits. The Monty Python guys seems to have found the formula for laughter and used it non-stop. it is probably one of the most recognisible and quotable movies ever made with almost every scene a classic from the black night, to the french guard to the knights who say "ni". you may find funny movies but the all hail in comparison to this comical masterpiece. a must see for those few who haven't. 11/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An example of why British humor is much smarter than ours.
wwe79613 September 2010
This is how to make a comedy. Laughs can be found throughout, and the 4th wall falls apart throughout the film without any actors chewing the scenery. The movie from the first scene, and on is great. The acting is wonderful. Everybody in the cast delivers the jokes hilariously. Also the the actors never seem to overact at all. There are a few jokes that go on for to long, but it is aware of this. If only another comedy that doesn't deserve to have its name mentioned (cough Disaster Movie cough) was self-aware that the jokes it had were to long. It really is a shame that British people can say that they have awesome comedies like this, and we have a lot of awful comedies like (sigh) Disaster Movie. This film is a work of genius.

4 stars out of 4
Devine Medivel Satire
Sapir Diamant7 March 2006
Even if you never heard the name :"monty python" , you will find it hard to stay indifferent to this magnificent film. the "so called" quest for the holy grail which marks the main theme of the movie is vaguely attended for, on this crazy "streem of conscious" comedy. on every possible occasion the movie wonders to absurd grounds with such off-topic debates as to what kind of sparrow can carry a coconut while maintaining air velocity, or what is the best system of governing is there to manage peasants - that is the kind of rubbish king Arthur has to endure on his no-good journey on a non existent horse to a grail he will never find, due to a sudden anachronistic burst of police officers that arrest him and his knights. indeed a good reason not going to Camelot is because "it's such a silly place" or maybe because "it's just a model"? who knows? but what i do know is that you'll never forget the dual between Arthur and the black night, or "the violence inherit in the system" sketch, or any number of unforgettable sketches you could find in this remarkable movie. you will be happy to get to know the amazingly talented cast of the "monty python's flying circus" legendary t.v. program from the early 70's BBC hit: john Cleese, Graham Chapman, Micheal Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam, along with others who appeared regularly on the show (Connie Booth- Clees's ex-wife for egg.). pay special attention to the opening credits- in the Hebrew translated version i saw they hid the credits with the translation, so don't miss it by that chance. have fun! Sapir