Fantastic Planet (1973) Poster

A lot to like and a lot to hate.
MartinHafer30 April 2014
"Fantastic Planet" is one of the stranger sci-fi films I have ever seen. Some of this strangeness is good, as the film has a great other-worldly look to it. This planet truly is odd. Additionally, the story has some interesting elements as well. But, on the flip side, the animation quality is just horrible and sometimes the film seems weird just for the sake of being weird. It is definitely NOT a film that the typical person would enjoy!!

As far as the animation goes, I think part of the problem was when it was made. Quality standards in the 60s and 70s for animation slipped drastically compared to the great 1940s and 50s. Cell-counts now had dropped and sloppy drawings were becoming more and more acceptable--and this is very evident in "Fantastic Planet". The number of cells per second is so low that instead of appearing animated, at times it looks more like a slide show! And, often almost everything is non-animated and only an arm of mouth moves--again, this is very poor. What is amazing is that this film took five years to animate. You'd think this would result in a great looking film--and in this case you would clearly be wrong! To me, the animation is simply ugly.

So, if I hated the animation so much, why do I still give the film a 5? Well, the story is pretty cool, though the ending is really, really rushed. In this strange world, it's ruled by the Draags--gigantic strange looking blue beings. They are intelligent and technologically advanced but spend a lot of their time meditating and doing very little that is obviously useful. Their pets are the Ohms--which appear to be itsy-bitsy humans. The Draags view them like we'd view rats--making some pets and occasionally exterminating large colonies. This makes you think about our own pets and how we treat them! I'd say more, but it's really just something you need for yourself--rushed ending and all. This is, provided you can stand the god-awful animation.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very unique!
TheLittleSongbird27 March 2011
I am a huge fan of animated movies and I love Fantastic Planet. For any fans of animation or sci-fi, Fantastic Planet is very ideal in both instances. For one thing I loved how unique it was, and the storytelling is mostly to thank for that. The story is an original one, and holds some very interesting concepts without preaching.

Also engaging are the characters. They are simple, but you do empathise with them especially Terr who moved me rightly from minute one. The animation is by far the best asset, it is absolutely fantastic, with beautiful backgrounds, stunning colours and well-modelled characters. The music is beautiful, poignant and haunting as well and the writing is top notch.

The voice acting does very well to fit with the characters and it is also sensitive and also succeeds in making the characters even more likable than they are. The English dubbing is good, but I find the original one more emotive and poetic. In fact, my only gripe with Fantastic Planet is that there are times when it does drag, but overall it is a unique and quite fantastic film. 9/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
compelling new world
SnoopyStyle5 March 2017
Humans had been brought to the alien world Ygam. They are the diminutive pets to giant blue people Draags who call them Oms. A mother and baby are on the run. Children Draags 'play' with them until the mother dies. Master Sinh finds the baby and his daughter Tiwa adopts it as her pet calling him Terr. He is able to gain knowledge while Tiwa is learning. Terr escapes stealing Tiwa's learning headset. He finds a tribe of wild Oms living in a tree.

It's a fascinating alien world. It's surreal and threatening. The animation is strictly 70s. The Draags are alien unlike any other. The tribulations of the humans are compelling. This works as a thriller and as a lesson in humanity. The ending is a little rushed. It needs a scene between Tiwa and Terr. They are the ones who need to come to a final peace.
fascinating
Kirpianuscus13 March 2021
A huge ball of cultural references. Greay music. And so familiar themes than it becomes less comfortable scene by scene. Because the story is just about us, like a large parable about racism, dictatorship, technology, survive, hate and contempt. I do not know than it is a beautiful film but it is a very useful one. A film about present, in precise details . Fascinating for craft and for message.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavy, Man
boblipton5 February 2021
On a strange planet, tiny humans live as pets and wild animals amidst an incomprehensible civilization of gigantic blue people.

If you told Edward Gorey "Design the visuals in the style of Doctor Seuss using pastel crayons", you'd get something that looked like this movie. It was clearly inspired by Metal Hurlant. The difference in animation techniques was jarring; animation is sometimes full, sometimes quarter animated, and sometimes pan-animated. The story makes its symbolic content as obvious as it can.

Given that this feature came out in 1973, it was a magnificent achievement. It was a time when not only was movie animation just about dead, but TV animation was pretty dire too. However, I found its hectoring moral tone and obvious story-telling techniques to be rather uninspiring. I expect that audiences on the era, high on various drugs, might have disagreed
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Much Different Cartoon
gavin694211 November 2016
This futuristic story takes place on a faraway planet where blue giants rule, and oppressed humanoids rebel against the machine-like leaders.

The film was an international co-production between companies from France and Czechoslovakia and was distributed in the United States by indie film giant Roger Corman. The story, about humans living on a strange planet dominated by giant humanoid aliens who consider them animals, is based on the 1957 novel "Oms en série" by French writer Stefan Wul.

I love that Corman got involved, because he really was a champion of film. Not just indie film, but bringing foreign film to America. He is not given enough credit. Today (2016) this film seems a bit dated, because its anti-racism message is sort of obvious, but it still makes an interesting point regarding different species and the cut-out style of animation has to be admired.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Planet
jboothmillard28 June 2010
I was searching for images of this film featured in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, and as soon as I knew it was a cartoon I was very keen to see it. I should start by saying that the version I saw was in the French language with subtitles, but there is a version dubbed into English featuring The Rocky Horror Picture Show's Barry Bostwick. Anyway, basically the story takes place on the planet Ygam, ruled by the giant blue humanoid aliens known as the Draags, and there are also the tiny human slaves called the Oms. A baby Om is orphaned by the Draags killing its mother, and Draag daughter Tiwa (Jennifer Drake) takes the child as her pet, with the permission of her father Master Sinh (Jean Topart). Even though he has a collar on him, the Om child that grows, Terr (Eric Baugin, then Jean Valmont) likes spending time with his "owner", but he realises other Oms are being killed at random. Terr escapes from the Draag world and travels through desert land until he eventually finds the Om world and joins the tribe. When escaping, Terr managed to steal a headphone set that contains and feeds all the knowledge of the planet and the Draags directly into the brain. Armed with this technological knowledge the Oms build all the weapons and equipment they need as they plan to defend themselves against their giant enemy. In the end though, the Draags and Oms have killed many of each other in big numbers, but they both step down from attacking each other and find some sort of peace, as far as I remember. I was intrigued by how similar the animation was to style of Monty Python, the bounciness of how characters, objects and creatures move across the screen, and the (unintentionally) funny shapes and looks of these things. I was very surprised by how much this film takes you into this surreal and stunningly visual world, complete with some assisting music and impressive sound effects creation, it is a fantastic French/Czech animated science-fiction fantasy. Very good!
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Offbeat and thought provoking
Woodyanders20 July 2016
The tiny human-like Oms are treated as pets and totally at the mercy of intellectual blue giants the Draags. However, domesticated Om Terr manages to escape from his Draag master Tiwa and joins up with a tribe of wild Oms who Terr encourages to learn all about the Oms and their culture with the help of a special learning device.

Director/co-writer Rene Laloux and co-writer Roland Topor use the quirky and compelling premise as a means to state a powerful message not only on the intrinsic evil and cruelty of one race totally subjugating another race (the de-Om sequence with numerous Oms being slaughtered in mass volume is genuinely nightmarish and disturbing), but also on how enlightenment and liberation go hand in hand. The Draags register well as a convincingly odd extraterrestrial race. Moreover, the vivid and fascinating depiction of a hostile planet populated by all kinds of dangerous and predatory creatures rates as this film's key triumph. The nifty stylized animation offers a wealth of striking and surreal images. Alain Goraguer's funky-digging score hits the right-on groovy spot. Although slightly marred by an annoying abrupt conclusion, this film still overall deserves its cult status.
A 'Planet Of The Apes' Animated Takeoff
ccthemovieman-12 August 2008
This is an animated film made 45 years ago (1973) by the French, has the English title of "Fantastic Planet." Early on, it reminded me of the "Planet of the Apes" story in which "human" were the captives and someone else (aliens, here, called "Draags") were the "masters." He, we are the "humanoids," the visitors, so to speak on a foreign planet.

In this story, the aliens are huge and appear not to be hostile. The humans are very small, people who can fit in the palms of the Draags' hands. The humanoids, however, are really slaves on this "fantastic planet" until one of them learns the local language and unites his fellow captives. That's putting it in a nutshell, since I don't want to say too much to spoil the ending, which is the best part of the film..

A lot of people rave about the artwork but I didn't think it was anything that great. It's very primitive, and maybe that's part of the attraction. Then again, it was made 35 years ago, so you aren't going to get the artistic slickness you see today. (However, "Yellow Submarine" was made before this animated movie and that was pretty mind-blowing animation!) It would definitely remind you minimalist artists.
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the trippiest things you'll ever see, bar none, and it's extraordinary in its simplicity
Quinoa198417 January 2008
Fantastic Planet has about a hundredth of the technical proficiency- or just money- that any given Pixar film might have in just its first couple of reels. But there's probably just as much invention and eye-popping mind-blowing madness, if not exponentially more-so, than any recent CGI film. It's, well, art. Yes, to throw a word as big and all-encompassing like that is tricky, Fantastic Planet qualifies as some kind of weird artistic feat of surrealism and pure science fiction. And by sci-fi I mean the cream of the crop in storytelling and ideas: it's about the impact of images in a strange land being somehow completely relatable, if only in social construct or satirical forms, as though we were witnessing Gullivers Travels mixed around with Dune and then filtered through some renegade animator that got through the gates at a studio and churned something out fast. It's like a strange revelation that won't leave your mind.

And yes, leave no mistake, it also works very well as a "stoner movie", one of those ridiculously warped visions that goes into the world of the imagination so heavily, with tangential moments in scenes (the 'blending' of the Draags in one scene, the constant flow of various monsters, the 'mating' ritual, the de-Oming), with a soundtrack that's like a outstanding, unlikely collaboration between Isaac Hayes and Pink Floyd (you don't know whether it'll split into Dark Side or Shaft). Premise is simple: a little oprhaned Om named Terr is taken in as a 'pet' of Tiwa, and is half tortured half loved by her. But, as case happens, she outgrows him, and he runs away after being filled with knowledge by some machine. Then he gets sucked into the underground world of the Oms, where there's lots of mating and other activities, such as fights (wacko scene with those teeth-filled monsters strapped on like Gonzo gladiators). But their civilization is in peril, and it's time to fight back!

Lots of classic myths pumped in, but at times you almost forget there's story, which might be half the point. The director Rene Laloux, along with collaborators like Roland Topor, creates a world unequivocally unto itself, where there are real strokes with pencils and colors and inks, where it seems very much like a collection of pictures from some obscure European fable book for kids, only loaded with some kind of life-force that moves like no other animated film (maybe it's slightest, closest-distant relative is Yellow Submarine, which is still a stretch). Characters move in and out occasionally like a Terry Gilliam short- giant hand and other objects placed in almost jokingly, which makes it a lot of fun at times- and there's something eerie in Laloux's dedication to pushing the expectation-level, mainly because, as noted, we haven't seen this style before. It's a quiet form of sensationalism, where it sneaks up on the viewer, and then takes over a scene, growing little by little, like some weird plant.

In short, he does his job as a genre director, probably on par with the great visionaries, while using some primitive methods of animation. But through imperfections there's more expressive tendencies, moments of chance and random visions like a monster springing organically about to eat another, or to go through bizarre mating rituals as Venus de Milo statues with blue heads. Or, in other words, as my long-winded adulation goes to say, a superb "stoner movie". Not that being sober will make you absorbed any less; it's a compliment, in a sense, that in its glory of its time it reaches a true cult impulse, where children can enjoy its wonderful glimpses of the "fantastic", and adults can have another more mature, thought-provoking input in its implications on power and human nature.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Planet is very innovative French-Czech animated feature
tavm10 December 2006
I just discovered on YouTube this English-language version of Fantastic Planet, which was distributed in the U.S. by Roger Corman's New World Pictures. A kid Traag adopts a human-like little Om after the mother dies. This Traag learns lessons from a multiple-headphone-like device. As the Om grows, he absorbs all the Traag knowledge and eventually escapes to his homeland when he steals the Traag learning device. From there comes the climactic battle that leads to the pacifist denouement. Wonderful animation throughout with weird touches provided in this French-Czech production. Among the voices: Barry Bostwick (Rocky Horror Picture Show), Janet Waldo (Judy on The Jetsons), and Hal Smith (Otis on The Andy Griffith Show). By all means seek this rare gem out!
Frustrating Planet
tedg25 January 2006
There's a school of science fiction -- the old school -- that governs how these things are put together. First you take some social injustice or quirk of the times. Then you cast into the future or some fantasy realm with exaggerations in a sort of exploration. In the worst case, its satire. In the very best, say Phil Dick, it can be an open essay on selfawareness.

Then of course, there's the third step, all the elaborations of this fantasy or future world. Again, there's the worst case where they merely amuse and give the general feeling of otherworldliness. And the best case where each detail of the world somehow elaborates on the curlicues of the essay.

What we have here is the worst case in the first two, but done well. We have the kind of obvious, blunt social problem that only an enslaved people would think worthy of elaboration. We have that elaboration similarly bluntly: two races, blind conflict, etc. Its all at the "Animal Farm" level, which is to say the fifth grade. Just recalling it has a dumbing effect.

It is in the third component that this is interesting. Czechs are not strong thinkers when they encounter something directly. They slide in from the side. Its those side things that cut. Even Kafka. His supposedly big ideas, the obvious ones are only a disguise for all the concept fleas he is able to carry on them.

And all those notions are visual here, purely cinematic, which is a joy. In fact, its better to watch this in a different language than you speak. You won't miss anything story-wise and be able to focus on some of the visual notions tried out here.

Not all of them impress of course: for instance there's the bizarre case of the gremlin in a cage that catches birds with its tongue, shakes them dead and discards them. The area is strewn with these corpses, blossomlike while the gremlin giggles. Some guy came to work one day with this idea and nailed it in wherever.

But there are other visual notions that strike. The advanced race indulges in group meditations where manipulative stingers come from the walls of the room and literally mix their bodies. That by itself is pretty strong. Whether group conceptsex or individual, little bubbles or mind-souls drift out of their bodies to the heavens, literally a moon (their "Fantastic Planet")

There, these mindbubbles join with huge headless robots with the specific purpose of having sex (which is shown as "dancing"). This is also how they reproduce, by mechanisms not explained. The idea is so visual, so rich, so strangely evocative it makes this otherwise dreary thing worth watching.

Apparently it is often paired with "Yellow Submarine" which has none of the fleas.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
12 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Fantastic
Theo Robertson28 August 2013
I'm utterly surprised at this movie's high rating because I could hardly make head nor tail of it and felt like I was watching an animated sci-fi version of The Emperor's New Clothes . The emperor may be very well dressed in an animated style but he's still naked

The story involves one of those well worn clichéd stories of an intelligent rather amoral race called Draags that is alien oppressing self aware cypher people called Oms who are obvious metaphors for humanity and a human leader called Ter leading a rebellion against the oppressors . Anyone expecting a Pierre Boulle type allegorical tale along the lines of " get your damn paws off me you blue skinned bald fascist " is going to be very disappointed . At some points the story almost seems to cross this track then it goes in to another meandering direction entirely

And this is what tends to drag everything down , or to be more exact the problems are two fold . There's a completely esoteric aspect to the storytelling almost as if chunks from a novel is being adapted to screen but anyone without any knowledge of the source material will be bewildered as to the intricate meaning . I could quote large chunks of the dialogue but the IMDb system would reject this review as having constant and numerous spelling errors . In other words the audience will be left confused at the transcendental , mystical nonsense and technobabble on screen which takes obfuscation to new heights . The other fault is the rather lacuna and episodic nature of the story telling where things happen just because the animator thought it was a good idea at the time

Some people might be impressed by the animation and I'm certainly not going to claim it's bad in anyway and was constantly reminded of the Terry Gilliam sequences from the TV series MONTY PHYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS . certainly there's no way a film like this could have ever been brought to screen via live action but just because a film is surreal doesn't necessarily make it a great one and almost always a great film has to have a great story and this is not a great film
3 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre Beautiful Wonder & Singular Style...Mezmerizing, Captivating & Touching
LeonLouisRicci6 April 2017
A French-Czech Production. The Language Spoken is French with English Subtitles.

Do Not let that Dissuade. This Wonderfully Imaginative Animated Movie from 1973 is a Visual Presentation (and what a WOW it is) First and Foremost and the Dialog is Minimal.

It is done with Limited Animation. Think Terry Gilliam (Monty Python), Ralph Bakshi, South Park, etc.

But "Limitation" does not come to Mind after Viewing this Surreal, Dali-Esque, "Twilight Zone" Vibed Trip to Another Planet-Dimension-Universe. It's as Out There as it gets.

The Stunning, often Disturbing, Images Dominate the Simple Story and it keeps the Viewers Attention with a Mesmerizing Display of an Off-Kilter Reality that is Off Our Planet for sure, but keeps the Connection with its Humanoid Characters at the Center.

But there is an Array of Absolutely Bizarre Creatures that come from the Realm of Nightmares that Invade the Proceedings with Regularity and are so Unique They Demand Attention and Fixate the Viewer with not only a Hallucinatory Appearance but Bizarre Behavior Beyond Belief.

The Film Holds Up Completely in 2017 and Once Seen its Indelible Images Remain in the Brain and a Freeze Frame is Instantly Recognizable as Captured from this Stand Alone Movie.

The Musical Score is Worth Mentioning because it Underscores with a Jazz-Rock-Electronic Mood that Meshes so Magnificently Massaging the Movie with Tones that at First Presents Itself and then Fades in the Background but is Forever Reaching on an almost Subconscious Level.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh, the disappointment
neil-47625 March 2012
I have wanted to see this film for nearly 40 years. I have loved science fiction since I first encountered it in the 60s, and I have loved animation even longer than that. And I've seen stills in books for years, plus I've heard good things, plus it won an award at Cannes...

And now I've seen it.

And I didn't think much of it. I might have thought higher of it had I seen it in 1973 when there wasn't so much science fiction out there, but I'd like to think I wouldn't have been impressed even then.

The story is trite, formulaic stuff, and it was trite, formulaic stuff when it was made. The moral is decent enough, but hardly very original.

The visual design aspect falls halfway between Terry Gilliam's work in Monty Python and Heinz Edelmann's production design for Yellow Submarine. This aspect is, perhaps, the most successful part of the film but, again, hardly that original.

The animation itself is most disappointing, being very limited - many scenes are presented as a static image with just one small element animated (just the mouth on a face, for instance).

And after all these years, too. I wish I hadn't bothered.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful - a masterpiece
zetes16 September 2002
Science fiction is the perfect genre for animation. Unfortunately, very few films have taken full advantage of that. Fantastic Planet, though, uses the medium to its fullest extent. It is, without a doubt, one of the most imaginative films ever created. The animation is simple, with few drawings per second, but those drawings are gorgeous. A gigantic, blue alien race has brought members of the human species to their planet. We're the size of insects to them. Some humans, Oms, as they're called, are kept as pets, while others are wild. Terr, the hero of the film, is a tame Om. Eventually he escapes and joins a tribe of wild Oms. The aliens eventually realize that the Oms can be a threat to them, and begin to exterminate them. The film is filled to the brim with remarkable images, bizarre forms of life and odd landscapes, weird customs and events impossible to understand. Most other science fiction films, animated or otherwise, stop so far below Fantastic Planet. Personally, I think it's one of the best films I've ever seen. 10/10.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great sci-fi, great uncensored ideas, fantastic imagination
siderite31 August 2014
I was just watching a GoodBadFlicks video yesterday where the guy was laughing at US movie studios for buying film rights for some stories and foreign films that they could never ever present in the US for fear of protests. For me it was a strange proposal, why wouldn't they be able to show something raw, uncensored, original? The answer was obvious, but I am not going to dwell on that point.

La Planete Sauvage is probably a movie in this category. The film is short, just over an hour, but from the very beginning it starts with something controversial: a woman carrying a baby is being teased by giant humanoids that have fingers the size of the woman. It turns out they are children, playing with the human as a human would play with an ant. They accidentally kill her and her baby is being taken as a pet by one of these giants. They are called Tragg and they consider humans animals, to be petted or exterminated as they please. The very first scenes are brutal to watch and that's why I think this would never sit well with a culture that values superiority more than anything else.

You have to watch it in French, if you get the language, I had a dual French/English audio film with English subtitles and, even if I didn't go through the English audio, there is something about the French language that just naturally blends with the arrogant culture of the Traggs. The Tragg culture and their planet were truly spectacular. To think that in 1973 someone thought of a superior technological culture that is truly alien while remaining humanoid, and did it well, was amazing. The concepts hold true even now, in 2014!

I have to say that I have been thinking of writing a story about humans treated as pets by an alien culture, but after I've seen this I couldn't possibly do it, as it is perfect as storyline and concepts. It also makes me think of another subject close to my heart: dogs. In Romania there are still a lot of vagabond dogs and the heartless and pointless discussions about exterminating them are very close to what the Tragg are doing when considering the human vermin. There are also some ideas about the "wild human" society that hit close to this concept of groups of people gathering around the mentality of the lowest common denominator. So, in my mind, to add valid philosophical and moral points to an already brilliant story with fantastic drawings is like covering the icing of the cake with a ton of cherries!

About the animation style. This is something that made some people rate this film a lot lower than it deserves. Are you aware that it was made in 1973, by Czech animators? Actually, besides the voice actors and the wonderful director René Laloux, there were almost no French people in the production team. The animation in the Czech Republic is a reason for national pride, but the way they do it was unique and certainly different from the US, French and Japanese animation styles. OK, so maybe you prefer the animation style of Robin Hood, with the animals, but really, this is so much better in so many ways that I couldn't possibly get snagged on animation.

Bottom line: The imagination, the way it just threw out there idea after idea, no matter how uncomfortable, the storyline, the amazing creatures, the weird ways in which they were killing people... it was true sci-fi. The real thing! Watch this! It will take an hour of your life, big deal! You will see that your brain will churn all of those ideas for a while after watching the film. It will feel like a strange but amazing flavor on your tongue. Top rating!
8 out of 1,021 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunningly imaginative
cherold31 January 2014
Having originally seen this movie back in the '70s, I remembered nothing about it except that it had weird creatures doing strange things. I had no memory of a story, or of people, or of dialogue; just strange creatures.

Having just watched it again, I see there's this whole story with giants and transported earthlings, and a tale of struggle, but I probably will forget all that again, because it's so less memorable than the incredibly strange and imaginative details of a very unique world.

As for the story, well, it's pretty interesting. This giant blue people keep humans, who to them are smaller than mice, as pets. The movie focuses on one giant girl and her pet human, and the movie beautifully conveys the weird mix of love and casual cruelty children can show their pets. As a human, one's sympathy is natural with the humans, but I wouldn't say the giants were evil; to them, humans are pretty much like rodents are to us, and while they think the humans might be intelligent, or at least their ancestors were, they aren't sure.

The more allegorical elements feel a little flat, and the English dub suffers from weak acting, and if you're used to Pixar and Disney, the very simple animation can sometimes seem a little underwhelming, but the imagination is so strong that no fan of animation should miss this.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surrealist animated landmark
Red-Barracuda27 June 2017
Fantastic Planet is famed French animator René Laloux's most famous film. This co-production between France and Czechoslovakia is a highly dream-like and imaginative work whose trippy visual ideas would make a mark in the psychedelic early 70's era. Set on the planet Ygam where the Oms (humans) are wild pests and domestic pets of the Draags, intellectual beings who tower above them. One Om escapes with a Draag learning device and uses it to assist other Oms to rise up and revolt against their overlords.

There seems to be an analogy embedded within the narrative but I personally don't think the story is especially important or interesting. What this film is all about is the look and feel. The animation is truthfully very basic but the art work is beautiful. The fantastical world created here is a work of true creative imagination. Amongst many other things, we have the giant blue Draags with their red eyes who meditate and are carried sky-ward in bubbles, there are tall elaborate plants, weird creatures who produces pink foam which in turn generates clothing for the Oms, there is a giant winged creature and a planet of headless statues. All this visual invention is accompanied by a great sound design of alien sounds accompanied by a score of light prog rock. Fantastic Planet is a work of pure sci-fi creativity and one of the most distinctive animation films ever.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly imaginative, but obscure.
gridoon31 March 2003
This animated film is a feast of imagination, filled with bizarre images and creatures....but, like most mainly visual films, it cannot sustain your complete attention, even for only 70 minutes. Yes, it's an allegory, that much is clear, but sometimes you feel as if you need a guidebook to interpret the symbols. Still, any fan of adult animation should watch this once. (**1/2)
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creative animation
gbill-7487717 March 2021
The shoe is on the other foot in this surreal animation in which little humaoids (Oms) are the pets of blue creatures much more technically advanced (the Draags), and become pests to be exterminated when they escape out into the wild. The film forces a different perspective on tribalism and how we treat other creatures here on Earth, and I loved the creativity in the animation of the flora and fauna on the alien world. The stealing of the headset that allows the Oms' access to the Draags' knowledge is an interesting reversal of Eve stealing the apple from the tree of knowledge in the Old Testament; here, knowledge is critical. Overall though, the story was not quite as creative as the artwork. None of the characters are developed and the plot was simplistic. An entertaining watch nonetheless, and worth 71 minutes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Sure About Fantastic But It Sure Is Trippy
CinemaClown19 April 2021
A very surreal, allegorical & experimental trip, Fantastic Planet (La planète sauvage) unravels with an originality in its vision, a uniqueness in its animation and a sense of eeriness in its strange, lurid imagery as it narrates the story of human slaves & alien masters on a faraway planet in the distant future, and isn't something that will satisfy all palates.

Co-written & directed by René Laloux, the film comes packed with disturbing visuals and offers welcome insight into the cruelty & violence perpetrated by those in power against those in subjugation. And by placing our species in the latter role, it's able to make the audience relate & resonate to the injustice with a certain clarity. The plot is straightforward yet a lot brews underneath.

What may turn some viewers away is the clinical approach & dryness in storytelling. The events just unfold like brief episodes but there is no natural flow to them, nor is there any proper build-up. The animation is wicked as the images look both dated & timeless for some reason. And the psychedelic score undoubtedly goes a long way in infusing a hypnotic quality to the whole proceedings.

Overall, Fantastic Planet makes for a fascinating commentary on animal or human rights and is amongst the trippiest entries in the world of animation. There is much more to unearth here than what's discernible on screen, for the plot is layered with evocative elements, but not everyone will be appeased by its detached vibe & dull pacing. Frustrating in parts yet thought-provoking in its entirety, Fantastic Planet is worth a shot.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fascinating animation Warning: Spoilers
I really liked this film. The animation was very well done, even for this time. This movie is original and visually unique, creating a fascinating world like nothing that you have seen before. René Laloux ("Gandahar", "Time Masters") was one of the best animators of the history. I liked all his films, including his shorts. And this one wasn't the exception. What is more, I believe that this is his best film, being both surprising, unpredictable and entertaining.

I recommend this film to anyone who loves animation, science-fiction and fantasy. It's simply superb. I give this ten stars, because is such a great film. Is always good see different styles of animation from the world.
Aged Well
Tweetienator23 September 2021
Surreal, fantastic, strange, trippy, that's what I associate with La planète sauvage aka Fantastic Planet. René Laloux's work is something like storytelling on acid, empowered by an unique visual style (this is not Disney but rather Moebius). Still a pleasure for my eyes and soul.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange Beautiful Planet
hellraiser71 December 2020
Surrealist art is my favorite kind of art style because despite how weird a picture comes out, there is just this freedom in expression and beautiful on the very notion that this picture doesn't follow the norm and gives us not just something different to see but a whole different way at looking at life.

This is another one of my favorite films of all time as well as animated movies. For any people that are into films of the weird category as well as surest art, your in for a treat because this is one weird ass film; there really isn't nor has there been another animated film or film like this. Like any surrealist art painting it's really hard to describe and explain, it's something you just have to see for yourself to believe. I remember seeing this film for the first time and thinking, "that was one damn weird movie" but at the same time I was just amazed, it's also made me want to watch it again just to get details I might have missed first time around.

Some might be put off by the stiff movements of the film, but that's because you're not looking at the film right, the film by it's nature is a children's story book but for adults. I like the story which is sort of Dr. Seuss like tale, as it all takes place in some alien planet. Where a giant alien race called the Traggs, hold tyrannical dominance over the human populace called The Oms. Sadly, they've became an endangered species and are now in a race against time for their own survival.

It's your simple worm that turned story, sort of a surrealist version of David vs. Goliath it's not a new story but it's really in how it's being told that makes it stand out. And also the film has a good message on how one person no matter how small can make a big difference.

Salvador I really also like the music in the film which I think is also beautiful as it fits the film as it has just a lot of odd sound and each of the tunes fits what's going on in the next scene.

The animation I think is great, it's slightly feel similar to the art of Henrich Bloch and Salvador Dali, there is just so many strange and beautiful sights in the film enough to eat your eyes whole; and there is so much going on as much as a Where's Waldo Art Illustration, that I don't want to give too much away, as I said this is a film you have to see yourself to get the full benefit.

But also, the film in a way reflects the era this film was made the 70's as that era was saturated in lots of psychedelic art and color. But I also just like how otherworldly this planet really is as the film goes on; we learn a new thing all the time about it.

The Traggs are very interesting alien beings as their giants with fish like heads. Despite their physical size there a race that mainly is one highly advanced in technology and highly devout to the mind and the mental expansion of it, which makes sense as the 70's was also an era for mental expansion and opening up more.

I really like one sequence where there is this group of Traggs that are in some sort of machine which help manifest imagination, dreams and ideas, we just see a series of surest images as the Traggs just change form from one image into the other. The Traggs not all of them are evil, the problem is their viewpoints on other species than their own are bias, nor are they open minded on certain other concepts. So despite strengths they have some areas are weak.

We see how dangerous the planet is from the dangers of the wildlife in the world like one blackly funny moment where there was some strange brain tree creature that always captures any weird ear bat creatures that mistake it's arm for a branch.

The tree creature then has them in his grasp, shakes them and then throws them down and we see he has a big collection of dead ones on the ground. Down to some of the creative way the Traggs De Om, like a vacuum device that sucks several of them in or even some sort of giant lawnmower like machine that sucks some in and impales them in spikes.

But of course, there are moments of beauty, fascinating strangeness, and more black humor. Like another blackly funny moment is seeing the Tragg Tiva playing with the Om Terr by having him run from some radio-controlled storm cloud. Or seeing both Tiva and Terr conduct some sort of orchastraic number by whistling some portion of music from the film and the sound breaks apart a bunch of growing crystals like glass.

"Fantastic Planet" is a strange, beautiful planet that is truly out of this world.

Rating: 4 stars
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.