Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 9 items
Sex & Nudity
- Jesus finds the temple filled with prostitutes, gamblers, thieves, and people selling their wares. This is also an important scene to the plot, and comes from Matthew 21:12 (Jesus becomes angry and overturns the tables of the traders and dove sellers). Even in this scene, the women are dressed like prostitutes - not naked, and there's no sex going on.
- The scene at Herod's palace is somewhat suggestive.
Violence & Gore
- The Crucifixion.
- Judas hangs himself.
- -The 39 lashes
- The use of the word "damn" is used in a religious manner.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- One brief scene involves a drug dealer at the temple, drugs and paraphernalia are shown, and the dealer smokes what appears to be marijuana.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Very young or sensitive viewers may find Judas's suicide (by hanging) disturbing as it is not merely implied but shown from start to finish and a few seconds beyond.
- A lot of the movie is intense. Namely: The crucifixion, The 39 lashes, and some of the music sounds disturbing.