My Name Is Nobody (1973) Poster

A case of high expectations that just didn't pan out,...
MartinHafer3 September 2006
Given that Sergio Leone was partially responsible for this film (though he did not direct it, I found out later), I grabbed the tape and was excited. After all, his Westerns from the 60s were among the best of the genre ever made. However, despite this past track record, this film was a major disappointment to me because it seems the writers tried to combine many of the typical Leone elements with a comedy!!?? Huh?! I do NOT watch a "Spaghetti Western" for its comedy (though there may be a few funny moments, they are not meant as comedy). And, to let the audience know it's all supposed to be funny, Ennio Merricone's score (usually the highlight of any Western) sounds like it belongs to a 1960s or 70s Disney movie much of the time! Now, if I had no idea who Leone was and if I had never even seen an Italian Western, I still think I would not have particularly liked this movie all that much. That's because the two central characters are just so different--Fonda as the cold gunfighter and Hill as a crazy, lovable jerk that could probably out-shoot anyone. The movie should have focused on one of these interesting men period. Then, the movie would have done more to energize this dying genre.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where No One Will Know Him Or Challenge His Fast Draw
bkoganbing14 August 2011
Although Henry Fonda was never identified with the western genre as were contemporaries Gary Cooper and John Wayne he certainly had a fair number of classic horse operas to his credits. Although Ny Name Is Nobody has its moments I wish he had as his last western an American product like The Oxbow Incident or Warlock or My Darling Clementine. As you can tell I'm not a real big fan of European or any foreign made westerns no matter how many American names fill the cast.

Henry Fonda like John Wayne in The Shootist is old and tired of life as a gunfighter, but unlike Wayne he still has his health and would like to spend a few declining years away from people trying to shoot him. He's looking to catch a boat from New Orleans to Europe where no one will know him or challenge his fast draw.

That is if hero worshiping Terrence Hill, Sergio Leone's home grown western star. Hill is the man named Nobody who figures with a handle like that people will leave him alone, at least for a short time. He wants Fonda to go out shooting the way Wayne did in The Shootist.

And what a match-up he has in mind, taking on a 150 mounted outlaws who call themselves The Wild Bunch. That's something the Duke would never dream of, but they've got a gimmick you have to see.

As for the ending, think of the classic Glenn Ford western The Fastest Gun Alive to see how Fonda accomplishes his goal.

My Name Is Nobody has its amusing moments, but can't compare to what we produce here even in these days when westerns are a rare species of film.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange Singular Slapstick Spaghetti
SnoopyStyle1 February 2014
Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda) is an old gunslinger who is reputed to be the fastest. Nobody (Terence Hill) follows the legendary killer and wants him to face off against a 150 men strong Wild Bunch gang singlehanded. The Wild Bunch are a gang of bandits who fight for a mastermind who wants Beauregard dead.

This starts off very slowly. If this didn't have Sergio Leone's name attached to it, I might have abandoned it early on. Henry Fonda doesn't strike me as the hardened killer type. He's too much of a nice guy. Terence Hill doesn't have great individual persona. He's playing the character as a jokester, but it never actually gets to be funny. He's a strange character. Then the movie gets strange when they get to the saloon.

There is the weird slap fight in the bar. I can safely say that I have never seen such a thing especially in a spaghetti western. This is a slapstick spaghetti western. It's definitely unique. Even the music is a strange concoction of weird effects with classic spaghetti western music. It's as if the movie is mocking the genre itself, but it's not good enough to be a parody.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun western film at times
Horst_In_Translation1 August 2019
"Il mio nome è Nessuno" or "My Name Is Nobody" is a co-production between Italy, France and West Germany from 1973, so this one is moving closer to its 50th anniversary. Like many other westerns from this era, it is in the Italian language. The director is the famous Tonino Valerii, but the big name here is of course the one of Sergio Leone who contributed the general idea that was then adapted by more writers than you'd expect into the final script. But also in front of the camera, the film has big names to offer, most of all the two leads. Terence Hill is probably more known now than Henry Fonda, at least outside of America. This is one of Hill's more famous works without Bud Spencer next to him. He was still in his 30s here. Fonda was in his 60s already, even if this was still from a decade before his Oscar win. Well Hill brings all the comedy really, but it fits the story with the sped-up sequences and Hill's really over-the-top (intentionally) face expressions add a lot of hilarious moments. So do the dialogues. the Italian version with English subs I watched was pretty bizarre as there were subtitles shown on the screen for dialogues that did not exist. It was weird, but also funny because these subtitles were funny pretty often and I would have loved to hear these words too. I guess there must exist several other versions of this movie. Anyway, the most common one, also the one I saw, runs for under two hours slightly. Fonda's presence was not as memorable as Hill's but thhat had to do with the characters of course only. His was not energetic, he just wants to retire, still he is a very gifted gunslinger despite his age as we see during the presentation early on at the barber's shop. Fonda's character also never delivers comedy, but actually maybe keeps the film from becoming too light because even this way it is more of a western comedy than a comedy western I guess. Even that scene I just mentioned early on is funny not because of Fonda, but because of the bad guys when they stuff barber's equipment into the man's mother and also into his kid.

In order to keep this film from becoming too serious (you see they had no intention to do so also with only Hill being on the poster here on imdb), they also pretty much completely did without sequences where you see people dying or being shot. The exception is the wild bunch near the end, but they are also far far away. It is really all about making you laugh and Morricone's playful soundtrack, especially in the Hill sequences, adds a lot to it. I could mention many other scenes really here like the three hilarious incompetent crooks who are busy carrying the roof above them for a while. And even when the film is about Beauregard's memorable legacy it is only pseudo important at best with the voice-overs, but it never feels to take itself truly seriously. Which is good. I don't think they could have really made this work with the approach they were giving it all in all. So I was genuinely surprised they really went for the path to kill off Fonda's character eventually to really become a legend. Well, I was not too surprised that they did not of course then and it was all just a trick. It also would have gone against the idea that they are both equally gifted with the gun, even if Fonda may not have gone for it all to make sure he becomes a legend. I guess you could explain it like that if you had to. But you don't and anyway I prefer the path they took. In the end maybe the voiceover again about nobody being somebody now was perhaps on the edge, but it was fine in the face of all the other "nobody shoots faster than Beauregard" moments before that were fairly funny for sure. I am not sure, maybe they slightly wanted to use the idea of Fonda being also acting-wise the mentor to Hill overall and maybe Hill could pursue a big western career as a leading man then, but it was not meant to be because the genre was close to dead then for a long time, actually until now even if we look at the quantity of new westerns being released. Still it is okay, Hill still had a big career as one half of one of the in my opinion most amazing movie duos in history. Oh there we are: by the way those who know the Bud Spencer / Terence Hill movies like I do will certainly think of Buddie (may he rest in peace) when here is that sequence when Hill uses this dummy to beat up all the guys coming near him. It looked a bit like Bud. Still, everybody who really only wants to see it for the western perspective can still have a good time here. The setting of course will satisfy this part of the audience with the saloons, the dust, the outfits, the trains etc. It is a very western film in theory, even if in depth it has little to do with the serious classics. It is good this way, Hill is probably a much better comedy actor than drama actor. The one thing missing too which you usually find otherwise is the damsel in distress here. Not many females in this film, none in key roles. In general this was a film that more lived through individual scenes than through the key plot and thing as a whole I would say, but that is also not uncommon for Hill (and Spencer). Just enjoy the fun scenes for what they are like the saloon scene early on, the one not so friendly meeting between the lead duo where they still respected each other (actually the three bullets one hole in the hat moment was probably the best the film had to offer in terms of gun action), the scene when Hill still hits everything despite all the alcohol he takes and so on and so forth. There are many more scenes that are gonna put a smile on your lips. Which ones these will be exactly, is going to depend on your personal preference and subjective humor. But it's impossible to not like many of the dialogues here. The writers did a really good job. This film is not best-of-year material and almost never great, but rock-solid from beginning and entertaining and if you like the marvellous western genre as much as I do and feel you are in the mood for something lighter, then there aren't really any better choice that the one we got here. Thumbs up!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Henry Fonda and Terence Hill stand out as two gunfighters against a numerous Wild Bunch
ma-cortes28 February 2012
A fun parody of Western clichés that never becomes stale and gibing Spaghetti genre. There is plenty of action in the movie , guaranteeing shootouts or stunts every few minutes. There are also many fine technicians and stunning direction and excellent production design with magnificent scenarios. It deals with a young, soft-hearted gunfighter (a cocky Terence Hill) who worships and competes with a veteran outlaw named Jack Beauregard (awesome Henry Fonda), once the greatest gunslinger of the Old West who only wants to retire but instead they band together . He arranges for Beauregard to take on the 150-man band known as The Wild Bunch . Both of them oblivious to dangers and hopeless odds endure mishaps and adventures and they attempt to right wrongs . At the end takes place a spectacular duel earning his place in history between the easygoing gunslinger and the famous retired outlaw he reveres .

It's an exciting SW with breathtaking showdowns between the protagonists and their enemies full of shots , explosions , thrills and deaths . Spoofs every Western clichés with relentless comedy , parodying ordinary Spaghetti elements . The main premise results to be the confrontation between Old West represented by Henry Fonda and new West mirrored on Terence Hill character. The storyline has some embarrassment and ridiculous , silly situations but also has its agreeable moments here and there. It's a Spaghetti western with humor and develops the usual issues : invincible antiheroes, spectacular gun-down , violent taking on but united to slapstick and simple humor. It's an entertaining Italian western with overlong runtime in which there are irony, tongue-in-cheek, shootouts, numerous showdowns and is quite funny and amusing . This bemusing picture with Spaghetti all-star-cast contains an entertaining plot , action Western , shoot'em up and bits of campy and refreshing humor . It's an improbable blending of standard Western, irony and continuous duels with no sense . An enjoyable premise and interesting casting full of usual Spaghetti make this oater well worth the watching . Delightful Western satire in which two gunmen using his wits , break all the rules and kicking virtually every cliché in the pants . Amiable but sometimes lumbering Western satire goes on and on about the same premise , as a lot of minutes are superfluous ,it has fifteen minutes in excess , as it packs overblown jokes and antics and some moments turns out to be a little tiring . Fonda and Hill steal the show as two improbable heroes , they are very fine, they ravage the screen, , hit , shoot and kill .There is even a homage to ¨Orson Welles's The lady from Shangai¨ when at a Mirror Fun House takes place a duel between Hill and his enemies . Terence Hill is nice as a good guy , hilarious and likable , known only as "Nobody", idolizes Fonda and wants to see him go out in a blaze of glory. Here Hill plays a similar character to ¨They call me trinity¨ and ¨Trinity is still my name¨. Henry Fonda is first-rate as a rough, two-fisted old gunman but with good heart. There appears customary Spaghetti actors as Piero Lulli , Mario Brega , Benito Steffanelli , Antonio Molino Rojo and notorious American secondaries as Geoffrey Lewis , Steve Kanaly , Leo Gordon and R.G. Armstrong . Lively but commercial musical score by the great Ennio Morricone . Colorful cinematography plenty of barren outdoors , sunny landscapes under a glimmer sun and fine sets on the action scenes shot by excellent cameraman Giuseppe Ruzzolini , filmed in US and Spain as La Calahorra, Granada, Andalucía, (railway scenes) , Almeria ; USA : Colorado New Orleans, Louisiana, White Sands National Monument, Alamogordo, New Mogollon, Acoma Mexico, USA .

The motion picture lavishly produced by Fulvio Morsella and Sergio Leone , being well directed by Tonino Valeri . Tonino 's so-so direction is well crafted, here he's mostly cynical and humorous and less inclined toward violence and too much action especially on its ending part . Valeri is an expert on Western as proved in ¨The hired gun ¨ , ¨A reason to live , a reason to die¨ with James Coburn and Telly Savalas , ¨The price of power ¨ with Giuliano Gemma and Van Heflin , ¨The day of anger ¨ with Lee van Cleef and ¨ Taste of Killing¨ with Craig Hill and George Martin .
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very likely the funniest spaghetti western ever made, or at least most kidding with the genre conventions
Quinoa198429 July 2007
Sergio Leone picked a good director to helm his production of My Name is Nobody, as Tonino Valerii brings a sensibility that wouldn't of been the same had Leone taken the helm. It's not that Valerii steers too far away from certain trademarks of the quintessential spaghetti western director: expansive close-ups, beautiful master-shots showing the sprawling landscapes of the deserts and small towns of the old west, and of course Ennio Morricone. But this time there's a change of the guard in terms of homage- now it's not just going for an epic quality, but full-on comedy stylings.

There's room to compare this to old westerns with Henry Fonda just as much as there's comparison to the Three Stooges. Or Buster Keaton. Because nothing is taken too seriously, it ends up having some strong underlying statements about gunslingers in the old west, the young catching up with the old, and the old 'times they are a changing' logic that comes with the territory.

The tone is light, though at the same time there's still that level of ultra-cool suspense that can be found in Leone's work. Valerii takes it up a notch in the direction of something a little less violent, however (the film is technically rated PG, despite quite a few dozen deaths at one point). Terrence Hill is the title character, a guy who's strikingly handsome but perpetually goofy, who takes on as a big challenge Jack Bouregarde (Fonda, his last western, a good one to go out on, if not as great as his previous role as Frank), who's a hero gunslinger. Nobody has fixed a 'Wild Bunch' to come after him, and to what end? Much of the film focuses on Nobody, until the second half when Nobody keeps prodding on Jack with his vague threats in the guise of 'fairy tales' his grandfather used to tell him.

And all the while it's consistently hilarious material, particularly if you know Leone's stuff well (eg the gag from For a Few Dollars More where shooting a hat holds as much danger as comic timing), and tries at least to plug into the viewer who's in on the joke of not just an homaged western and homaged Leone western (Morricone's score has tones from Once Upon a Time in the West, but comes close to sounding like a coffee commercial at times), but an homage to silent comedies and slapstick.

Where else, for example, will you see a gunslinger such as Nobody fight off a potential assailant in a bar by just continually slapping him around as if Moe Howard possessed him for a full minute? How about the gun being slung up at 16 frames-per-second? Or a montage within an action sequence with Jack versus the 'Wild Bunch' where freeze-frames of reactions from Nobody and pages from 'history' showing Jack killing off the posse pop up? And there's a fun-house/mirror scene that comes about as close to The Lady From Shanghai as the most memorable in all cinema.

Some of it might just be all silly-by-proxy; it's a big belly laugh to see Hill with a serious face hold a stick still in the air waiting for a bug to go underwater to catch a fish. In fact Hill is strangely enough a huge part to the success of the film by sticking to his two-dimensional profile with just the best bits of subversion: looking at his eyes one can't always tell whether he's being serious, crazy, or just plain joking around, like in the saloon. He wouldn't work as the typical bad-ass, stoic Leone anti-hero/villain, but Valerii understands how to handle his abilities. Same goes for Fonda, only he doesn't have to go too far to be effective: all he needs to do is to keep a silence going, a look that says everything that needs to be said (albeit he lays it on heavy in the final letter, something that definitely would not be in a typical Leone film).

And yet even with all of Valerii's kidding moments and high-spirits (watch out little guy on stilts!), there is some genuine artistry at work too, as when the Wild Bunch is seen coming ahead through the desert (the wide-reaching over-head angle is the best shot in the film), and it reveals that there could be some worth in checking out other obscurer efforts of his. As it stands, I could watch it anytime it's on TV, if only as a pick-me-up if it's a soggy day. For fans of the western it is a must-see, if only for the fun of it all, and to get a pure in-joke regarding Sam Peckinpah.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody's Irreplaceable
wes-connors26 June 2016
In or quickly approaching the year 1899, western gunslinger Henry Fonda (as Jack Beauregard) gets a shave and haircut. Due to his legendary status, Mr. Fonda must make sure the barber doesn't get carried away with his razor. Remaining calm, quick-draw Fonda draws attention from other baddies around the barbershop. After escaping, the barber's son asks if anyone is faster on the draw than Fonda. "Faster than him? Nobody," the barber replies. As he is getting older, Fonda would like to hang up his holster. Given his reputation, Fonda decides Europe would be a safe place, but he may not make it there before getting gunned down by upstarts or old enemies. It's true "Nobody" is faster than Fonda, so what if he meets "Nobody" on the way outta Dodge...

Fonda fittingly meets "Nobody" in the form of handsome young gunslinger Terence Hill. For most of the running time, Mr. Hill takes the camera's attention. Fonda becomes a supporting player, although his voice-over in the last act commands co-starring status...

This is a fine film, apart from some slapstick and "fast-motion" that feels dated. It seems intent on being a comedy, but elicits less than the desired laughter. The real worth is under the surface. We have a very impressive new actor (Hill) taking the screen from a legend (Fonda). This parallels the new gunslinger emerging to replace the old. Moreover, there is the "new" western taking over, here in the "spaghetti western" genre of Sergio Leone with the modern Sam Peckinpah version referenced strongly. Even the turn of the century can be called into action. Hill and director Tonino Valerii are an exemplary team, with photographer Giuseppe Ruzzolini contributing strongly. Now, if only the surreal was more prominent than the slapstick.

******* My Name Is Nobody (12/13/1973) Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone ~ Terence Hill, Henry Fonda, Jean Martin
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional and so wonderful
BandSAboutMovies19 August 2020
Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda) is an aging gunslinger who wants to retire. After quickly shooting three gunmen who attempt to ambush him in a barbershop - he has no chance to rest ever, constantly being challenged by people to prove themselves - the barber's son asks if there is anyone in the world faster. The reply? "Faster than him? Nobody!"

There is a man named Nobody (Terence Hill), who dreams of being better than Beauregard. But instead of challenging the gunslinger, he plans on taking out all 150 members of the Wild Bunch - no relation - on his own. They're led by Geoffrey Lewis, who was a character actor par excellence.

While this movie is a comedy, the idea at the end, where Nobody is now as chased and tested as Beauregard, speaks to the violent life of the Italian Western hero, who is continually threatened by not only death, but by the advent of the technological twentieth century, which will end his way of life.

Tonino Valerii, who was Leone's assistant director on A Fistful of Dollars, directed this film. He also wrote The Long Hair of Death and directed films like My Dear Killer and Day of Anger.

There's some dispute that Leone directed much of this film, which was made mostly in the United States. It arose when Henry Ford's costumes were stolen, which would have delayed the movie by more than a week. Leone, who came up with the idea for the film, offered to shoot second unit to keep the movie moving.

Neil Summers, who played Squirrel, and John Landis, who claims to have been an extra, stated that Leone directed most of their scenes, often on horseback. However, screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi (Torso, Almost Human, All the Colors of the Dark, Once Upon A Time In America) told Robert Curti, the writer of Tonino Valerii: The Films, that "Tonino shot the whole film, absolutely ON HIS OWN" and that Leone "organized a second unit crew and shot a couple of sequences, which in my opinion are the weakest in the film...Nothing else."

Sergio Donati expanded on this, stating that some photographers were sent to America and they asked Leone, on his lone set day, to sit behind the camera in a director's pose. Donati said, "Inevitably, from that moment on, everyone, in and outside the movie business started saying "Yeah, actually the real director of the film was Leone, who saved it from the disaster of an incapable director"."

Tobe Hooper and Tonino Valerii would have had a lot to talk about.

For anyone that thinks that Italian Westerns are dumb, I'd just like to raise one point. The title refers to The Odyssey, as Odysseus tricks Polyphemus into believing his name is "nobody."
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lonesome Gun.
hitchcockthelegend11 January 2014
Remember folks, just because it's not my bag doesn't mean it's a bad film...

Il mio nome è Nessuno (My Name Is Nobody) is directed by Tonino Valerii and Sergio Leone and co-written by Leone, Fulvio Morsella and Ernesto Gastaldi. It stars Terence Hill, Henry Fonda and Jean Martin. Music is by Ennio Morricone and cinematography by Giuseppe Ruzzolini.

It's a Spaghetti Western comedy that is highly thought of in like minded circles, but for the casual observer it's too damn quirky for its own good and gets caught between two worlds. The action quotient is high, the direction, performances and visuals are very good, and the humour, if you like it spoofery flavoured, is never in short supply. While Morricone provides an unusual musical score that ultimately befits the odd nature of the beast as it were. Thematically it has something to say on the changing West, and in fact on the changing of the Western movie as well. While structurally the makers never miss an opportunity to lift and homage from Western movies of the past.

It's very much one for fans of the medium only. 5/10
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He who lives by the sword will get nipped in the butt.
Hey_Sweden19 January 2015
This is a wonderfully whimsical Western that delightfully blends poignant drama with broad & silly comedy. Based on an idea by Spaghetti Western master Sergio Leone (who was also an uncredited executive producer), it stars "They Call Me Trinity" lead Terence Hill as an easygoing and ambitious young gunman, the "Nobody" of the title. He absolutely worships aged former gunfighter Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda), who would prefer to retire in peace, but Nobody is determined that Beauregard make history one last time. Therefore, Nobody sees to it that Beauregard will face off against a 150-man gang known as The Wild Bunch.

As one can see, Leone and company, including screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi and director Tonino Valerii, have great affection for Sam Peckinpah and his signature film. They have a substantial amount of fun adding the comedy to the mix, coming up with some ingenious gags and images, especially when Nobody is eliminating gunmen inside a house of mirrors. "My Name is Nobody" does go on a little longer than really necessary, with a protracted scene of Nobody proving his prowess in a shooting / drinking contest. But the balance of the picture is just so disarming that it's easy to look past this and appreciate the earnestness and passion in this story.

Hill displays quite a bit of natural charm, while Fonda knows he's got a good part and relishes his various conversations with his younger co-star. Familiar actors in the supporting cast include not only people like Piero Lulli, Mario Brega, and Antoine Saint-John, but very fine American character players like R.G. Armstrong, Leo Gordon, Steve Kanaly, and Geoffrey Lewis. The milieu is very much male dominated, with female faces few and far between.

Ennio Morricone obviously enjoyed himself spoofing his earlier scores, coming up with some amusing silliness, especially as he incorporates "Ride of the Valkyries". However, he still creates some wonderful moments with the more serious portions of his soundtrack.

The script has an appealing cyclical quality, certain to send viewers away with a great deal of satisfaction.

Eight out of 10.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The American Western and the Spaghetti Western Meet At Cinematic Crossroads!
zardoz-1319 January 2012
The story goes that Sergio Leone felt like he had to top the Italian box office earnings of "They Call Me Trinity" so he came up with the idea for "My Name is Nobody." This lavish international production is a comedy about hero worship and a commentary about American westerns as much as it constitutes a comment about Spaghetti westerns. By the 1970s the Europeans had exhausted the western. According to Sir Christopher Frayling, the Spaghetti western had run its course and had slipped into self-parody, and "My Name is Nobody" exemplified the changing fortunes of the genre. If Clint Eastwood represented the serious, cynical Italian westerns as an iconic hero, then Terence Hill epitomized the low-brow, comedic Euro western hero. Indeed, Leone appropriates some of the things that made Nobody reminiscent of Trinity. Terence Hill drew his six-gun with blinding speed, and he wore his charisma on his sleeve. He was an extremely likable lad and you have to admire the lengths that his anonymous gunslinger went to so that he could immortalize his idol Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda), a legendary gunslinger in his own right. Earlier, Fonda had played a cast-iron villain in Leone's undisputed masterpiece "Once Upon a Time in the West," but here he plays a good guy who is deadly swift on the draw. The problem is Jack is growing old and his sight is beginning to suffer. If any actor other than John Wayne represented the essence of the American western, it would have to be Henry Fonda. Fonda has starred in his share of classic oaters, among them "Fort Apache," "The Oxbow Incident," and "Warlock." When he starred in Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West," he played a villain as he would in a James Stewart western "Firecreek." This movie is essentially the crossroads of two genres: the traditional American western crosses trails with the revisionist European western, and this distinguishes "My Name is Nobody." It should come as no surprise that parts of "Nobody," like "Once Upon a Time" were lensed in American and a large part of the cast is American. Although it is uneven and "Day of Anger" director Tonino Valerii lacks Leone's operatic staging qualities, "My Name is Nobody" still emerges as a worthwhile western. Incidentally, Sergio Corbucci had used the idea as early as 1964 about a gunfighter with ailing eyesight in in "Minnesota Clay." Anyway, Valerii worked with Leone, and he knew how to stage a scene and make it look good, but he doesn't have the gimlet eye that Leone possessed. Moreover, Leone's westerns and his crime movies are realistic, cynical, and mean-spirited. "My Name is Nobody" is more comic. For example, for sheer hilarity examine the wonderful whiskey glass shooting scene in the bar. Valerii does an exceptional job with it. The opening shoot-out in the barber shop is textbook Leone. The wide angle shot where you see Fonda shoot three men is spectacular. Reportedly, Leone is said to have staged it. Ennio Morricone provides a beautiful score, and the familiar western theme of an older man teaching a younger man is reversed here in classic style. Unlike the Henry Fonda/Tony Perkins' western "The Tin Star," where the older man saved the younger man, Nobody saves Jack Beauregard. Most Spaghetti western spoofs, like the "Trinity" movies were essentially hillbilly westerns with good jokes, "My Name is Nobody" is a comedy, but it has something serious to say. The dialogue is occasionally distinctive: "Two things go straight to a man's heart: bullets and gold." Leone and Vallerii scare up some veteran American character actors, including R.G. Armstrong, Leo Gordon, and Geoffrey Lewis. Sometimes, a scene or two will wear out its welcome, but considering the epic nature and the cinematic referencing, "My Name is Nobody" is a must-see for Spaghetti western fans and western movie fans in general.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not my kind of film, but I can't claim this to be without merit
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews4 November 2007
Apart from the work of Sergio Leone, I don't particularly care for Westerns. They're just not my glass of water(I don't drink tea). This is the story of a man who could become a legend, and a young man who wants him to be... "people need someone to believe in", he says. Some scenes are good, and the major showdown that is hinted at, described in words, throughout the film, is quite impressive(and if nothing else, a good planning job). The music varies, some of it is good. I didn't like the bastardized Ride of the Valkyries...and yes, I did know that that was the piece that was used for inspiration in composing, before reading the Trivia page... and reading said page reveals that Morricone intentionally spoofed his earlier work(his scores from the Man With No Name series, the Dollars Trilogy, no less). The acting has its moments, Fonda is good. The editing is good at points, as well. It's well shot. I suppose fans of Westerns will enjoy it. As best as I can tell, this is spaghetti-Western. The point to the story Hill's character tells is also good. I recommend this to fans of Westerns and/or the people involved in making it. 7/10
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Italian humor
mm-399 April 2002
This film is bad, but my kind of bad. I remember this film after watching the end; I must have seen it when I was 6. Some of it is dated, slow, but the golden parts make up for it. Hilarious, the scene with the arm poll guy, and the shoot the beer before it hits the floor is great. Well direct, the scene at the beginning, and ending gives the story closer. This is a tongue, and cheek western, and the music score emulates this. A good film 7/10.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievable Western
whpratt118 September 2005
Definitely missed this Henry Fonda film and was very glad that I caught it on late night TV. I could hardly believe all the great humor and drama portrayed in this Italian Western. After watching this film for a few minutes, you are unable to determine in just what direction the film is going to take. A poor local town barber and his son seem to get into a big mess of things, when a few bad bad cowboys decided to go to get a shave or just plain trouble. In another scene you see Terance Hill,(Nobody),"Renegade",'87, take an apple away from a baby and eat the entire apple and gave it back to the child. Henry Fonda,(Jack Beauregard),"Fedora",'78 is a man who is burned out from being a gunslinger and wants very desperately to go to New Orleans and simply Retire. There is a hold up of a Federal Reserve Train and a wild scene of two guys in a latrine, looking face to face and trying to relieve themselves. This is a must see film, you will greatly enjoy watching and especially if you are a Henry Fonda fan.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Comedy Western
Rainey-Dawn28 October 2014
I have said it before and I will say it again: "I am not a big fan of the Western genre but I know a good Western when I see one". My Name is Nobody is a good Spaghetti Western comedy film - one of the best I have ever seen.

I was 1 years old when this movie came out - yes I saw it when I was an older kid (maybe 10 or 11 years old?) - anyway, after I first saw it I became a fan of the film and the entire series of Trinity films.

I do agree with other reviewers that the humor in 'My Name is Nobody' is subtle (quiet) - it's not obvious as in "Blazing Saddles". And yes the bar room scene is the funniest.

One should watch all three of the films: They Call Me Trinity (1970), Trinity is Still My Name (1971) then My Name is Nobody (1973).

9.5/10
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like Leone Meets the Three Stooges
bensonmum214 May 2005
All that gunslinger Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda) wants to do is retire while he's still alive. But Nobody (Terence Hill) wants to see Beauregard go out in blaze of glory. Nobody dogs him across the West insisting that if Beauregard will just face one more enemy, he's sure to go down in the annals of history. But Nobody's idea is for Beauregard to have it out with the 150 man strong Wild Bunch - all alone.

The shortest and most to the point description that I can come up with for this movie is "Sergio Leone Meets the Three Stooges". On the one hand, you've got Henry Fonda in the traditional Western role (albeit Spaghetti Western). On the other hand, you've got Terence Hill performing some of the best slapstick and pantomime since the era of the silent film. It sounds like an unlikely combination, but Valerii successfully marries the two styles into a very enjoyable experience. The scenes with Fonda and Hill together are as good as you'll see in a Spaghetti Western.

While some of Hill's comedy seems goofy and doesn't work that well, most of it is very funny. There are moments of pure genius. The shooting scene in the saloon is a particular favorite of mine.

Morricone's score is amazing. He draws inspiration from and pays homage to some of the earlier scores he did. I was reminded several times of Once Upon a Time in the West, the Dollars Trilogy, and other Spaghetti Westerns. Writing positive comments on a Morricone score is becoming a bit redundant. Did he ever write a score that you could call bad?

For those of us who have only seen My Name is Nobody on VHS with bad transfers and missing footage, the new Image DVD is a real treat. It was a lot like watching the movie for the first time. I never thought this movie could look so good. My only complaint is the lack of extras. The disc doesn't even have a trailer.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Name is Leone
chaos-rampant4 June 2009
A smash hit upon its release (grossing around 1,5 billion lire in the Italian box office) but always overshadowed by Leone's magnum opuses, relegated to the status of footnote in his filmography and coming at the end of one of the most glorious streaks in cinemahistory to be almost forgotten amidst all the excitement, MY NAME IS NOBODY is a curious case indeed. Does a movie with such glaring flaws deserve to be so good and does such an elegiac coming-of-age story deserve to be saddled with so much burlesque antics?

The cast betrays the tightrope the movie has to balance on. Terrence Hill, Italian Paul Newman turned slapstick icon, opposite venerable titan of American cinema Henry Fonda. A saddle tramp without a care in the world meeting up with the hero of his youth, an aging gunslinger. Partly made as an answer to Enzo Barboni's TRINITY films, the only Italian movies to dethrone the maestro from the top of the highest-grossing films list which naturally left his feathers a bit ruffled, and fully reflecting Leone's growing reluctance to commit himself to another movie after ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, My Name is Nobody finds Leone in full David O. Selznick mode, delivering from the position of the producer a film that cannot be mistaken as anything else than a pure-bred Leone film even though the director's credit reads Tonino Valerii.

It has been said that, as with A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE, Leone intentionally created the circumstances that would enable him to direct a film he wasn't very keen on. Ironically, the scenes officially credited to him, the saloon scene where Terrence Hill shoots on the glasses, the urinal scene (not on the original script) and the funhouse scene in the House of Mirrors, are the most problematic. Their crass, vulgar, childishly gleeful nature threatens to send the movie permanently off course.

And then comes a glorious panorama of 150 gunmen (the 'Wild Bunch') riding in slow-mo, an operating duel in the middle of a crowded street, a tappestry woven with references to Leone's earlier films. Fonda and Hill shooting each other's hats off (FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE), Fonda and Hill facing off in an empty town square (the shootouts in the circular corridas that usually end his movies), a long wordless opening in a barbershop that is in itself a masterclass in directing (OUATITW). And unfortunately for Valerii, photos exist showing Leone assisting in the directing of all those scenes, the best in the film (the opening, the battle with the Wild Bunch, the final duel). You don't have to read upon the history of the making of the film to know this, it's obvious from every frame that this is unmistakeably a Sergio Leone film with Valerii acting as much a technician in service to a creative boss as the cameraman was to the director.

So, why would Leone intentionally sabotage his own film? Writer Ernesto Gastaldi reflected bitterly that Leone, seeing how good the film was turning out, wanted to make clear that this is not one of his serious movies. I don't know how much truth or sense there is to that, as Leone picked Terrence Hill precisely to express his disdain for the popularity of his low-brow imitators. As though he wanted to contrast in his characteristically confrontational way what people were reduced to seeing (Terrence Hill slapping henchmen around) with what the real deal is. The truth is that, whenever Hill is not grimacing at the screen and slapping, whenever the movie doesn't degenerate into slapstick circus fare, the movie is terrific. Entire portions of it (the first half hour in particular) are among the best Leone ever did, and by extension the best in the genre, spaghetti or otherwise.

A glorious pistol opera and a dance of death (notice how for example the opening bars of the William Tell Overture, the theme for the Wild Bunch, are discreetly repeated again in the final barbershop scene, or how the same happens in several instances for Nobody's theme) saddled with silly, vulgar antics (could the urinal scene be any more useless?), My Name is Nobody is still one of the best 70's westerns you're likely to see. 8.5/10
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fonda vs. Nobody, and that's it...it's the last legs of the 1960s western
secondtake24 May 2010
My Name is Nobody (1973)

The start of this movie is as archetypal and fabulous as any Sergio Leone movie, and it suggests another great stab at the old genre. Even knowing that it's a spoof doesn't take away from the high drama that is really possible with such great filming and pacing. And it reminds you that the earlier Spaghetti Westerns were spoofs, too, in their own way.

But the idea is really thin here, and stretched too long, and with some annoying music, so that sometimes you can't believe it's the same film. Henry Fonda is pretty amazing in his stoicism. He never quite winks at us pulling it off. The main lead is little known Terence Hill, who never has a name (or his name really is Nobody), and he's meant to be more cute than cool, a new kind of good guy who's so fast with guns he never has to snarl, but just confidently goes his smiling way. The final showdown reveals the whole concept to things and it's great fun the first time.

I totally loved this movie when I was a kid. I just watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and maybe I'd had my fill of this kind of excess, with the single idea (supplied by Leone, we are told in big letters) not enough for a full length film.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great... but falls short of magnificent
A_Different_Drummer3 November 2013
First problem, Leone, possibly one of the greatest living directors of the last century, produced but did not direct. Second problem, by this time the so called "italian western" genre was imploding, and tending toward self-mockery. Usually that is the beginning of the end of any new art form, and here we see the destruction first-hand. Fonda is great. I mean, he starts out great -- THIS IS HENRY FONDA -- and just gets better. Better here even than ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, where a reviewer for Playboy referred to him as "ludicrously miscast." Hill -- and don't believe for a moment that was the name he was born with -- is adequate but ultimately forgettable. In fact, the most memorable thing about this film -- aside from Fonda -- is the notion, appealing mainly to film buffs, that the entire concept was structured on a "high concept" title. "Nobody was faster." That's the takeaway here.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody does it better than Terrence Hill & Henry Fonda!! What an interesting well-shot bizarre movie!
ironhorse_iv26 November 2015
By the 1970s, the Spaghetti Western had almost become a parody of itself as slapstick comedies within the genre has become more popular, than the serious drama-full violent westerns of the mid & late 1960s. Director Tonino Valerii & Producer Sergio Leone saw this and decide to capitalize by making their own subtle humor movie. That movie would become, 'My Name is Nobody'; a title that alludes to the reply, Odysseus gave Polyphemus the Cyclops when asked his name in the Greek myth, Homer's Odyssey. Like Homer's tale, this film that tells the story of a mysterious nobody (Terrence Hill), trying to become somebody; by helping his child-hood hero, Jack Beauregard (Henry Fonda) fight against the legendary Wild Bunch gang. Outgunned and outnumber, the two of them, must find a way to become legendary. Can mysterious stranger's plan work or will both of them, fade away from the hands of time? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie, too much, I have to say, I love, how the film uses the dramatic sounds of a ticking of a clock to show, how little time, there is, for the unnamed person to make a name for himself. Some of the best suspense is in the opening scene at the barber shop. That opening set piece is masterful. I love that dose of intensity, so abstract, economical, and well deliberately paced. However, the movie starts to fall downhill, when the comedy kicks in, after that. It's there, that movie's message gets kinda lost, because of the large amount of slapstick filler and goofy ass music. Ennio Morricone's choice of mixing the whimsical tones of his older films, with that of different music styles such as Richard Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries or Paul Anka's My Way was kinda annoying. The opening song alone, sounds like it comes from a kid's beatbox with sounds of boiling hot water added to it. When the music and tone veers from serious suspense to goofball comedy in one second. Then, you know you got a problem. It wasn't well paced. The film wobbles from set-piece to set-piece with little time for exposition or establishing structure. It was very underdeveloped. Scenes from that moment, until the end, felt a bit choppy & uneven. Lots of continuity & factual errors start to pop up. It doesn't help that the film is full of anachronisms as well. There were even scenes where a lot of nothing, going on. Even the dialogue in the film seem a little drawn out. Still, the acting in the film wasn't that bad. It was pretty alright in my eyes. While, Henry Fonda seem particularly out of it, due to health problems, he still has the acting chops to pull the rough & tough cowboy role off. Terrence Hill in the other hand, was hilarious and likable, but his character was a little too similar to the one character from his 1970's ¨They call me trinity¨ and 1971's ¨Trinity is still my name¨ days. I was really confused, on how serious, we supposed to take his character. He's seem to be, a little too cartoony to be a realistic character. Another thing, that bother me, was the how the film is full of unrealistic childish violence mixed with real world violence. It's weird, how some dynamite explodes kills people, and other moments, it doesn't. The gunfights are really odd looking with the speed up and slow motions. It doesn't fit, well with the rest of the film. The humor is a mixed bag for me, as well. I like the shooting of glasses contest, but I think other examples of humor such as the urinal scene were rather tasteless. However, I did like the inside jokes and film references, the filmmakers put into the film. It's nice to see homages to 1947's The Lady from Shanghai, 1928's the Circus, 1968's Wild Bunch & others. Although the movie is mostly well-shot. It's really hard to figure out, which director help shot, what. Leone, himself, says that help directed a few scenes, such like the opening scene, the graveyard scene, Wild Bunch scene, and the duel in New Orleans. It's here, that fans will recognize the use of close-ups, depth of field, odd sounds, and long stretches of men staring at each other and making the audience uncomfortable. However, its rumor that, he had might have done the mirror, the urinal scene and part of the shooting of the beer glasses, which weren't so good, but in my opinion, I really don't think, he did any of the comedy scenes, himself. In the end, it doesn't really matter, because the movie is great to look at. The exotic locations pick for this film are well-used. Each one of them, representing a part of the Western film history. The graveyard scene, filmed at Acoma Puebla in New Mexico is known as a common film shooting grounds for American Westerns movies. The desert of La Calahorra in Spain, is known as the homeland of the spaghetti westerns. Last the scene in New Orleans, represented, where Fonda and Hill's character collide, represented the moment where the movie would metaphorically kill, the original format in which the western genre has been done, and reshape the four types of westerns: the classic Hollywood western, the classic Italian western, the revisionist Hollywood western and the Italian comedy western into their own image. . It reflects the development and degeneration of the genre. It's basically, telling, how to make something old, seem new, again. This movie would go on to have sequel, titled, 'A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe' also called, 'Nobody's the Greatest' in 1975, which also wasn't that good. Overall: Two things go straight through a man's heart. Bullets and gold. This movie had that, but it was also way too campy. A 7/10.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Man called Nobody
Petey-103 March 2000
Terence Hill plays Mr. Nobody and Henry Fonda an old gunman called Jack Beauregard, who Nobody worships and competes with.

Il mio nome e nessuno or My Name is Nobody, as it would be said in English, is a great spaghetti western. Terence Hill is terrific as Nobody and Henry Fonda does a great job as Jack Beauregard. And Ennio Morricone's music is just amazing in the movie. A must see for all spaghetti western fans and Terence Hill or Henry Fonda fans.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the greats
pmtelefon28 February 2019
"My Name Is Nobody" is not only one of the greatest westerns of all time, it's also one of the most enjoyable movies ever made. Everything about it hits the spot. I was "movie blessed" to see this movie with brother in the theater when it first came out (Floral Park,NY). We were really young. It's was part of a double feature with George Peppard's "Newman's Law". (A movie I haven't managed to see since. Damn.) "My Name Is Nobody" has never left my consciousness since. That's not an exaggeration. In my family, it truly is one of the greats.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the great Italian Spaghetti Westerns
digitalbeachbum16 November 2020
Henry Fonda and Terence Hill star in this semi-comical Western movie about the oldest fasted gun in the west or meets a new fastest gun in the west.

There are many good scenes in this movie, and many will say the movie is too silly. However I find the humor is just enough to keep it grounded as a serious movie. It has its feet in both realms.

Morricone made the score which is light and cheerful, but has a few dark moments. Some might find it to be similar to Once Upon a Time in the West. Directed by Valerii, he does a fantastic job of keeping the balance between the various themes.

Fast paced and never a dull moment, this is one of the best movies made. It's in my top ten list of westerns and in my top fifty for movies overall.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
whats his face isn't a comedian
sandcrab27710 June 2020
The biggest waste of time in this film was the wild bunch ... if you understand the logistics of keeping 150 men fed, clothed, armed, happy and willing was the farce .. just imagine the feed bill for 150 horses a day ... i was surprised that fonda sold himself short for such a ridiculous film and i don't care if the pope filmed it ... i didn't find any of hill's antics funny either ... this film was a waste of money and my time
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish To A Fault
slokes4 February 2013
Time is one sneaky thief.

Less than a decade before he played an Oscar-winning geriatric in "On Golden Pond" (and was too weak in real life to collect his award), Henry Fonda could still convincingly play a deadly gunfighter who is just 51. In the memorable opening scene of "My Name Is Nobody," we watch him effectively deal with three would-be assassins without ruffling the shaving cream on his chin.

Nobody does it better than Jack Beauregard. That's his biggest problem; Nobody (Terence Hill) is the name of his dogged follower and apparent rival, not so much because Nobody's trying to kill Beauregard directly but because he wants to see him take on the deadliest gang in the West. Nobody has a bad case of hero worship, it seems, and wants Jack to be remembered as one of the greats.

"Someone like you ought to go out with style," Nobody tells Jack.

Style is something "My Name Is Nobody" has going for it in spades. Directed by Tonino Valerii with assistance from producer and concept originator Sergio Leone, "My Name Is Nobody" looks gorgeous and sounds even better with a lively if sometimes overly cute Ennio Morricone score. Fans of Leone's "Dollars" trilogy and "Once Upon A Time In The West" will recognize the use of close-ups, depth of field, odd sounds, and long stretches of men staring at each other and making the audience uncomfortable. It's all good, to a point.

What it lacks is any real story. Beyond the concept, there's not much to make the characters move, or engage us as an audience. This becomes painfully evident 40 minutes in, when Nobody shoots down a dwarf on stilts for no reason except easy laughs. After that, the film wobbles from set-piece to set-piece with little time for exposition or establishing structure. The tone veers from serious suspense to goofball comedy so quickly it doesn't feel like there are any directors behind this movie, let alone two of them.

Which sequences did Leone direct? The opening bears either his fingerprints or that of a quality imitator. The film has a big ending, too, Beauregard facing the "Wild Bunch" with Nobody looking on, but after an impressive build that sequence comes off as slapdash and pretty lame, especially if you are a horse lover. One comment here links Leone to just three brief comic scenes, including one that takes place at a urinal involving an engineer with a bad prostate that is the film's longest, most painful waste of time.

"Nobody" does keep you watching, even as it gets more and more outlandish. It's like a fun house even before it actually winds up in one. Through it all, Fonda retains a tired majesty that wears well here, as believably threatening as he was in "...In The West" but genial in the right places. Nobody is both a clown as well as one of those omniscient killers like The Man With No Name or Harmonica were in past Leone films. He and Beauregard develop a nice rapport over the course of the movie.

"Just like the good old days!" Nobody enthuses, after Beauregard shoots four shots through the same hole in Nobody's hat.

"There never was any 'good old days,'" Beauregard answers.

The film never builds enough on moments like these. Instead of having much time together, the main characters keep breaking off so they can come together again in another set-piece sequence to show off their skills and the director's way with a camera, whichever director that happens to be. Yes, Fonda's great to watch here, and Hill can be fun as well. Still "Nobody" winds up being a film of some inventiveness yet minimal engagement.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.