Revenge of the insidious pale-faced or the Magnificent Goiko Mitic: part eight
Western. Production picture of the East German film studio DEFA, created with the participation of socialist Romania and the mighty Soviet Union. The eighth painting out of twelve, which I intend to see and revise. I first saw this western on Channel One, which played all these Westerns on New Year's holidays in the mid-2000s (yes, at that time Channel One was not mired in the endless unwatchable crap and endless repetition of the "Home Alone" series, of which you can watch only the first three parts ), so I remembered this western very well, and this review was a great opportunity to revisit it. The main role was again played by the Yugoslavian actor, "Honored Indian of the Soviet Union" Goiko Mitic. And here is my brief opinion - revenge on the insidious pale-faced. I will say right away that there are no flaws in the picture, but there is a small clarification, which I will highlight in a separate paragraph, but for now, let me focus your attention on the expressive merits of this western.
So, here they are:
1. Scenario - the picture tells about a strong and brave warrior of the Apache tribe Ulzatse, whose tribe (including women and children) is dealt with by the insidious pale-faced only because deposits of silver and gold were found on the lands of the Indians, which attracts villains of all stripes, and behind them and the army. The surviving warriors of the tribe, together with Ulzana, vow to take revenge on the pale-faced murderers for the crime, and on their way there will be only blood, both their own and others', death, losses. The final turned out to be worthy. The script does not contain many twists, although one of them even surprised me a bit, for which I can only praise the writers, including the director Gottfried Colditz himself. The script is simple, which is very good for a western. Everything is clear from the very beginning, both future actions and the motivation of the heroes.
2. Nature - this time the studio changed traditions, and the field shooting took place not in Yugoslavia, but in the Soviet Union, more precisely in the Uzbek ASSR, not far from the ancient city of Samarkand, where nature is very similar to the Southwest of the United States. The views turned out to be magnificent, there is even nothing to argue with, and the operator skillfully demonstrates this, highlighting the best and striking shots with their beauty.
3. Entourage - decorations, costumes, atmosphere - everything literally screams about this historical era, when the Apaches found themselves between two fires - the growing United States and Mexico, which is losing its position in this region, the Apache dwellings correspond to historical prototypes, the tense atmosphere, contempt for the Indians , the misanthropic laws of the United States are on display in all their glory.
4. Music - this time I can only praise the music, for it is full of Indian motives and emphasizes the most important scenes of this picture. Apart from the picture it will be hard to listen to it and whether it will work out, but within the framework of the picture - that's it.
5. Fights, chases, skirmishes - at the level of the picture "The Trail of the Falcon", only here they still take the number, because there are much more similar scenes here. They are fast-paced, dynamic, with more blood here than in any previous western, though I would like more. The chases are exciting, and the fights are kept in suspense, although their outcome can be guessed almost from the very beginning. These scenes, starting with the previous picture "Tekumze", are only getting better in quality!
A little about the main characters:
1. Ulzana performed by Goiko Mitich is a mighty and brave warrior of the Apache tribe, who vows to take revenge on the insidious pale-faced people for the bloody massacre they committed over his fellow tribesmen, which he does throughout the whole picture. He manifests himself as a reasonable and experienced warrior who does not rush into the heat of battle without thinking through everything to the smallest detail. And again Goiko performs all the tricks on his own and plays at a high level. Bravo Goiko!
2. Nana performed by Kolea Rautu is an old warrior of the Apache tribe (by the way, a real historical figure), who, with his experience and decisive actions, becomes Ulzana's right hand. At first it seems like a funny old man, but this is only at first. The old tiger still has teeth, and even the claws are sharpened to a shine. The actor on the screen was no less convincing than his character.
3. Johnson performed by Milan Beli is a pale-faced, insidious villain who led and committed a mean crime against the Apaches, for which he must be punished. He has influential intercessors, but this will not save him. Greedy, arrogant, proud, unpleasant. Milan very convincingly played this villain. Here I can only praise.
Well, of course, fights, chases and shootouts do not look as exciting today as they did in the year of release, but we will make a discount, because all the westerns of this studio deserve it.
Well, next time we will continue to follow the life and struggle for the home of the brave Ulzana, who will again be played by Goiko Mitic. It will be in the picture "Ulzan".
As a result, we have a good western with the inimitable Goiko Mitic, with an excellent and simple script, excellent surroundings, good music, exciting dynamic scenes and excellent acting.
0 of 0 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this