Something Evil (TV Movie 1972) Poster

(1972 TV Movie)

Worth a look.. IF you can find a copy.
runner-1527 November 2003
I remember watching this movie as a child and it scared the crap out of me.

For years I couldn't look in a dark window without seeing those glowing yellow eyes. After I became an adult I waited patiently for years for this movie to show up on late night TV so I could watch it again and see what scared me so much. It never happened, the movie seemed to have disappeared from the face of the planet. A few weeks ago I ran across a pirated copy of this movie and bought it, My wife still can't understand why I paid almost 30 dollars for a old VHS tape. We watched it last night and of course it was no where near as scary now as it seemed to an 8 year old almost 32 years ago. That being said, I found it to be quite a watchable movie that held my interest despite moving a somewhat slow pace. And the twist at the end caught me totally off guard. Overall I would give this movie a thumbs up especially when comparing it to other movies of its genre and era. If you run across a copy have a look.
32 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something weird
Cujo10830 October 2010
A married couple and their two children move into an old country estate in rural Pennsylvania. The father spends most of his time working in New York City, but his wife stays home tending to the kids and coming up with various art designs. It isn't long before she's plagued by bizarre happenings, and while her husband is disbelieving, she comes to the conclusion that a devil is haunting the estate.

This TV movie was Steven Spielberg's follow-up to "Duel". While nowhere near that film's level, it is a reasonably effective little haunting yarn. The late Sandy Dennis carries the picture with her frantic, on edge performance. Ralph Bellamy of "Rosemary's Baby" is on the right side of the occult this time as a friendly neighbor who supplies Dennis with info on devils and protection from evil. The haunting is predominately low-key, though it occasionally moves into more pronounced territory when attacking others and even causing a fatal car accident. The creepiest scenes involve the sounds of a baby crying in the still country night and Dennis desperately trying to find out where the cries are emanating from. What she eventually finds makes for a rather disturbing visual.

Less unnerving and more cheesy is a scene where Sandy is flipping out on her son. The aftermath doesn't hit as hard as Spielberg would like it too because of this, but Sandy's performance does lessen the damage. Her husband doesn't seem to think much of it and heads back to New York for more work on the annoying commercial he's been preoccupied with. All of this leads up to a fun, if somewhat limp ending. The climactic surprise is telegraphed well in advance.

As a whole, there's nothing particularly remarkable here, but it all works just fine. Still, I was hoping that "Something Evil" would be something truly special.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great work
thegrumpymonk5 January 2007
It's easy to knock something like this because it's cheap, but you have to look beyond production values and see quality for what it really is. On paper, 'Something Evil' is pretty routine stuff, but it has the kind of energy you only get from young, hungry directors. There's a great sense of atmosphere that transcends the movie's low budget, something that would have never been achieved through routine direction. I've always been indifferent to Spielberg, but this is great.

The fact that you could turn on your television in the 70's and find something like this every week makes me wish I grew up a decade earlier.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Prelude to POLTERGEIST, maybe?
virek21313 August 2001
Perhaps coming so soon after his masterful DUEL, SOMETHING EVIL is a slightly weaker effort from Steven Spielberg, who in 1971-72 was still learning his craft.

Nevertheless, this supernatural TV horror movie of a family besieged by an unknown evil force in their home (represented by an ominous baby's cry) is almost a prelude to Spielberg's later 1982 production POLTERGEIST, as well as films like THE SHINING and THE SIXTH SENSE. The screenplay by Robert Clouse also echoes Robert Wise's classic 1963 thriller THE HAUNTING. Darren McGavin and Sandy Dennis give very good performances as the heads of this household under threat. Ralph Bellamy somehow oozes rational menace the same way he did for ROSEMARY'S BABY. Tricky but excellent cinematography by Bill Butler (who later worked with Spielberg on JAWS) enhances this somewhat underrated and rare made-for-TV horror pic.
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Bad For A 1970s TV Movie
Rainey-Dawn22 May 2016
Your basic horror story: A family moves into a house and they do not realize it's haunted but will soon become believers and it's haunted by demons. A quote from Marjorie Worden: "Can you believe that I believe that the devil's in my house?"

This TV movie was back when they made fun and interesting movies for television. Not all of them were great but they were at least worth watching. When real life society changed, the TV shows and movies changed - I quit watching - but I hear the TV movies today are nothing like these older films and not nearly as good. This particular film is not grand but it's not a bad watch either - mildly entertaining demonic horror.

4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this movie at 10 and I still love it at 43
61lincolnlover18 May 2005
This TV movie scared me as a kid, and I still think it has a fun, scary feel to it if one is in the right mood. A great cast with the unusual, nervous, totally convincing Sandy Dennis, gruff Darren McGavin, and cute little Johnny Whittaker. Great setting of a Pennsylvania-type farm house. The movie builds slowly but pays off with creepy fun. The move from the city to a farm that pleases the wife but burdens the husband reminds me of the 1975's The Stepford Wives. I love the painted symbols on the barn, the glowing red eyes in the window - Amityville Horror pig anyone? Jars of throbbing red goo in the cupboard. Deaths and possessions. And it also features a 1971 Thunderbird, which I consider a big plus! Give this movie a look and have some spooky, seventies fun!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware the supernatural jam jars!
Spikeopath13 April 2014
Early Steven Spielberg TV movie that is a considerable step down from Duel released the previous year, but showing signs of a directorial craft to follow.

Something Evil is not a great horror movie, well it was to those of us at a very young age who were allowed to watch it that is. The plot finds a family of four moving into a pastorally pleasing Pennsylvania farmhouse only to find a demon resides there. Hubbie works all hours in the city while mama and the two young children fall prey to something that manifests itself as red goo in jam jars or via a wind machine. Cue mama fighting the demon trying to take control of her family with love and pentacle art. Yep, it's really that simple, the budget doesn't stretch beyond that.

Spielberg shows some nice skills with his dissolves, close-ups and distorted angle shots, but much of the impact is undone by poor acting and a musical score that belongs on a ghost train ride at the funfair. A couple of characters appear, and then vanish until the last third of the movie needs them, while the special effects on offer are understandable low in quality. For its time, its budget and as an observation to the early work of a man who would become one of America's biggest directors, it's a curio piece worth sampling. But it's hardly essential for horror fans or Spielberg completists. 6/10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scared the crap out of me at 10 years old
px3-115 December 2007
Me and my dad watched this late one night.

So scary to a little kid.

I am still afraid of older homemade canned goods -- especially in a basement or a seldom used pantry.

Jeez, it really frightened me, especially the "eyes".

Was it a reflection?

I didn't know that Speielberg did this until just now.

....waaaahhhh..... are those your canned tomatoes...? Or a terminated fetus...? Or a little bit of both....? So scary.

Ewwww.

Time to visit the pantry...
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Old Style Creep Show!
nepgamer27 July 2006
My kid sister and I discuss this movie almost every summer around this time. We grew up in Pennsylvnia Dutch Country in the early 1970's. Our environment was very much like that of "Something Evil". To say this made for T.V. fright fest is a family favorite would be incorrect because it was quite disturbing to most of us. Yet, my mom and I would watch it every time it aired! I do recall having nightmares featuring "baby-crys" and visions of horribly beautiful masses swirling in mason jars! I have grown into an adult hardcore horror fan and I expect that this little movie would probably not phase me today. It would however be a joy to watch again and I hope some studio some where will release it in crisp DVD format. If you ever have a chance to see it, savor the flavor!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DECENT FILM. ONE OF SPIELBERG'S WEAK EFFORTS!
movieboy-1217 July 2001
SOMETHING EVIL is as good as you could make that film. You couldn't have done it better, however it's still a slow film. Directed by the world-famous Steven Spielberg, you'd expect this film to be much better, however add awful writer Robert Clouse who wrote three mystery films but dozens of kung fu films, you can see why this isn't top quality. Since I am a Spielberg fan I had to get this gem and I am glad I did, it's rare.

SUMMARY: Marjorie [Marge] Worden (Sandy Dennis) and her family which includes: husband Paul (Darren McGavin), son Stevie (Johnnie Whitaker) and daughter Laurie (Debbie & Sandy Lempert), move into a brand new country estate only to find that a demon lurks there. Marge investigates and slowly goes insane, while her skeptic husband carries on his advertising business. She learns about the demon haunting the house from neighbor Harry Lincoln (Ralph Bellamy). The ending is a battle of good vs. evil.

I love the setting in the countryside. You'd think it was all innocent, especially since the majority of the film takes place in daylight. The ending is still a shock. I enjoyed this movie. The acting is great, even from Johnnie Whitaker, who has a smaller role. RECOMMENDATION: The Amityville Horror. ** 1/2 stars, 7/10. SEE THIS MOVIE IF THE CHANCE COMES UP!!!!!!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg's style keeps this creaky haunted house flick afloat
bob_meg21 February 2011
It's almost unfair to judge this film by today's standards. A) it's a TV movie; B) It's a TV HORROR movie; C) It's a TV horror movie from the '70s. All of these factors combine to literally guarantee that it doesn't have the fright factor of the classic theatrical horror from that era. Sure, there were some creepy TV movies in the '70s, but none had the intensity or the special effects to blow you out of your seat. "Drag Me to Hell," this ain't.

Let's face it...if you've gone to the trouble to hunt this one down on You Tube or on bootleg VHS, you've done so to get a glimpse of Spielberg's guerrilla-style movie-making from his early, hungry days. And on that score, "Something Evil" doesn't disappoint. Say what you will about Steve-o's stuff of recent years, back then his films were FUN. ESPECIALLY for film buffs.

He didn't just throw in fancy camera-work to draw attention to itself. It always had a purpose, it always had subtext, and it always was original. Take the scene where Whittaker is bouncing the ball against the house. Spielberg clocks the pace with the maddening repetitiveness of a metronome as Dennis does a simultaneous freak-out, smashing the ceramic pentacles she's making to pieces. Her subsequent violent rage against the young actor, even though shot tastefully from a distance, is truly disturbing. Mission accomplished. Ditto for the sly scene where Dennis peers terrified from her kitchen door at a young man, the door chain links neatly overlaying his eyes, like ominous glasses.

And even though the mason jar, baby-crying gag is a bit absurd, the way it's shot is so masterful, it draws you in and creeps you out. Again, this is not a wham-bang thriller, but it definitely has its moments of uneasiness. I wasn't bored. If you like Spielberg's early TV work and "Duel," in particular, check it out.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For a TV Movie, not bad.
Buskieboy28 February 2006
Hey, for a cheapo 1970's "Made for TV" movie, they did a decent job. Passable acting, nice agreeable actors and a creepy storyline. What do you want for nothing. There were a lot of MFTV movies a lot worse than this. Great to watch on a Friday or Saturday night on a late show. Of course it is mildly famous for the glowing eyes in the window part. Most people who have seen this always mention that simple but effective (and creepy!) shot! One of Steven Spielberg's early films, along with "Duel", makes him a director to be noticed. And of course he goes on to fame and fortune on the big screen! Who doesn't remember the creepy eyes in the window part? If you've seen this movie, then you, as everyone else remembers that part! Strangely, something as simple as lights in a window could scare so many people, but sometimes it's the little things. Sometimes, when done right, simple and small can beat ' CGI!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done, well played!
rodrig586 August 2017
Of course Steven Spielberg is a very talented filmmaker. He knows perfectly well how to create tension and give you creeps on your spinal cord. He is one of the best. In this one he was helped by exceptional actors. Sandy Dennis is a unique phenomenon, can not be compared to any other, was and remains a great great actress. It's a shame that she died so young! Darren McGavin and Ralph Bellamy are also two very good actors, natural and credible in everything they do and say. It's not one of the greatest movies by Spielberg, the script is very simple, to not say poor, but is very well made. Worth to be seen!
One Of The Better TV Supernatural Movies
ladymidath24 May 2017
I saw this movie years ago when I was a kid and I always remembered it. Steven Spielberg directed it after Duel (another excellent film) and it takes the vein of a supernatural horror up there with Rosemary's Baby and The Amityville Horror.

A young family, the Wordens move into an old farmhouse in Pennsylvania. Darren McGavin as Paul Worden and Sandy Dennis as Marjorie Worden with their son Stevie played by Johnny Whitaker and their daughter Laurie played by twins Sandy and Debbie Lempert.

Everything is idyllic until creepy things begin to happen. Of course the viewer is going to know that creepy thing will begin to happen because the film starts with the farmer who owned the house being driven to his death by a deep disembodied voice.

A baby crying in the middle of the night, strange jars that glow. An evil presence that seems to be taking over their son. It would all be hokey in anyone else's hands, but Steven Spielberg takes all of this and weaves his usual movie magic. The scenes are genuinely terrifying with Sandy Dennis putting in one of her best performances as the frightened mother and wife.

Darren McGavin of Kolchak The Night Stalker fame is excellent as the confused husband who fears for his wife's sanity.

Johnny Whitaker is great as Stevie, the young boy in peril of being possessed by the demon that inhabits the old house.

Ralph Bellamy who plays Harry Lincoln and Jeff Corey who plays Mr Gehrmann are both great in their roles.

All up, this is a must see for fans of horror, the supernatural and Steven Spielberg
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly strange television horror flick
drownnnsoda13 March 2017
"Something Evil" follows Sandy Dennis and Darren McGavin as a couple who purchase a bucolic farmhouse in the country; the purchase is one they soon come to regret, as both their son and Dennis's character are tormented by unseen forces in the house.

This low-budget shocker was the second television film Steven Spielberg cut his teeth on (after the far more popular "Duel" in 1971). At a base level, "Something Evil" is a fairly two-tone haunted house movie that plays with themes and scenarios that are commonplace in the genre, but what really keeps the film intriguing is the stylistic approach and visuals. The narrative is spare and feels half-baked, with some sort of Satanic/demonic presence abounding on the property that is anchored to a bunch of jars that are kept in the house and an exterior barn.

The narrative threads never really lead to a satisfying ending, but the fray of it all lends itself well to the frenetic camera-work and overall weirdness of the film. There are some fantastic shots throughout, and several key scenes with Dennis exploring the barn that are truly unnerving and effective. Having Dennis and McGavin involved here certainly helps, and they do commendable jobs with the material given.

Overall, "Something Evil," though not an entirely cohesive success, is a genuinely weird and moderately creepy television horror offering. It's not the best of its peers, but it is one of the more memorable; comparisons to "Poltergeist" seem to be frequent, and one can't help but wonder while watching if that film was borne of this film. Worth a look for genre fans, or anyone who is interested in the more obscure of the director's beginnings. 7/10.
Scariest movie I've ever watched
milosm-178446 June 2016
Steven Spielberg is not one of my favorite directors, but I respect his work.Considering that this is a film from the beginning of his career, filmed with low budget and poor quality film equipment, I would dare to say that this is a masterpiece! The truth is that I was kid when I first time saw it, and I could not find it for a long time afterwards. But when I saw it again, as an adult, feeling was the same, FEAR!Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of a sissy, I'm a big fan of horror movies.I can watch the sickest and bloodiest movies without any problems, almost nothing can scare me. But this movie scares me. The atmosphere of the movie is so creepy. Without fancy visual special effects, without special make-up effects. Only the story of the movie, some decent acting and obvious talent of Steven Spielberg. I highly recommend it to the real fans of horror.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best TV and Horror Movies ever made!
eposey-9-97090926 March 2015
I saw some reviewer say this movie was dull but just goes to show people today have lost their attention span unless it's nothing but blood and gore and special effects! Not only does this movie have great writing it had Steven Spielberg directing and it's still his best work ever! Darren McGavin and Sandy Dennis star as two people who move from NY and buy a house out in the country and 'something evil' maybe the devil is there. There are chills and scary scenes all thru this movie with great acting. I can't believe it's not on DVD with all the crap that is out there! If you like classic movies this TV movie is better than most major motion pictures and anything that comes out of Hollyweirdo today! Must have for an real movie fan.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good cast wasted in routine film.
chad47825 February 2001
SOMETHING EVIL was one of Steven Spielberg's last made-for-TV efforts before he hit the big time with the big screen release JAWS. The film stars Sandy Dennis and Darren McGavin as a happily married couple who unwittingly put their lives and the lives of their two young children into great danger when they move into a Pennsylvania farmhouse that later turns out to be inhabited by evil spirits. Johnnie Whitaker(of FAMILY AFFAIR fame) co-stars as the oldest child.

Had it been made by anyone else but Spielberg, SOMETHING EVIL would be completely forgotten today. Though it came before the lamentable THE AMITYVILLE HORROR, haunted house thrillers were still pretty old hat by the time this TV-made effort came along. Spielberg injects as much life as possible into the deadly dull material, and the great cast does their usual thorough job, but no one can completely disguise the fact that this is second rate stuff. For a more rewarding look at work from Spielberg's early TV years, see the superior DUEL(1971) starring Dennis Weaver.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than ET by a long chalk
Gary-16110 June 2000
There were a lot of brilliant and spooky TV movies made in the seventies (Night Stalker etc),and it's a lost art now. This is, in fact, one of Spielberg's best films and is chilling. I saw it on a farm in the middle of nowhere, so the whole bit with the barn was terrifying. A reminder of what suggestion and the mind can conjure up without gruesome special effects and pointless noise. What was the horrible thing in the jam jar? What were the buzzing objects falling onto the windscreen of that car? Eerie stuff and brilliantly done. Also features a rare appearance by the unusual and authentic Sandy Dennis who died tragically and is sadly missed. Best scare is the demon eyes caught during the filming of a commercial at the haunted house.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Early Spielberg curiosity piece
tieman6423 April 2009
"Something Evil" is a television movie notable for being directed by a young Steven Spielberg. The plot is simple: a family move into a haunted house and, over the course of a few weeks, witness strange occurrences and experience bizarre paranormal attacks.

Being a TV movie, the dialogue, story and music are pretty cringe worthy, and due to the film's low budget, the "horror sequences" look a bit ridiculous. For example, while driving at night a car is attacked by a "light" flashed across the windscreen, and during the film's finale, a paranormal attack is rendered by simply moving furniture and inserting loud noises on the soundtrack.

What's most interesting are the little visual tics that would pop up later in Spielberg's filmography. Already he has a fondness for photographing little boys, filming rooms filled with toys and staging big scenes in which cars drive off cliffs. One sequence, in which a kid is attacked by a "ghost" in his bedroom, is eerily similar to the homestead assault in "Close Encounters", toys strewn everywhere, windows rattling, mother and son huddled together on the floor. Note too the opening scene, Spielberg's camera shifting planes, focusing on the foreground, pulling focus, switching to the background, pulling focus again, and then pushing back to a new foreground. For a TV movie this is a rather over designed shot, recalling the way Spielberg shifts from boat to the butler to lounging family at the beginning of "Jurassic Park 2".

And of course even this early in his career, Spielberg paints the film's father figure as an ineffectual, largely absent character. The film is firmly about a mother and son, the father always away at work or offering condescending lines of dialogue.

But dramatically the film hasn't aged well, and is likely to only nostalgically appeal to young children who were left scared during its original television release. The "horror sequences" don't work, the soundtrack is hokey and the plot plays like a kiddie version of Robert Wise's "The Haunting". Better to put the film on mute and study the introductory and ending sequences, which Spielberg seems to have put a lot of effort storyboarding.

4/10 –For Spielberg completists only. Aside from a few moments, the direction is anonymous.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worthe the Free YouTube Watch to See an Early Spielberg
matthewssilverhammer19 June 2019
A mediocre film, but a great watch to see how the staples of Spielberg's style were there from the earliest stages. Themes of family, mystery, absent fathers, and suburban danger are already on display in what is essentially an early version of Poltergeist. He's already so effectively stylish with the camera, even if the savviness to use it more subtly wasn't quite there yet. Corny but integral piece of cinematic history.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Well, It's A Real Fixer-Upper!"...
azathothpwiggins13 August 2018
Artist, Marjorie Worden (Sandy Dennis- GOD TOLD ME TO), her husband Paul (Darren McGavin- TV's THE NIGHT STALKER, and THE NIGHT STRANGLER), and their son, Stevie (Johnny Whitaker) have taken up residence in an old farm house. Here, Marjorie can work on her art projects in peace. It doesn't take long for her to notice some odd things, but she tries to overlook them. When people start dying, Marjorie is uneasy and Paul is unconvinced. At a party, the Wordens are introduced to demonologist, Harry Lincoln (Ralph Bellamy- THE WOLF MAN, ROSEMARY'S BABY), and in no time, Marjorie is painting a huge, protective pentacle on the floor of the kids' bedroom! Of course, the fact that she's been hearing a baby crying in the barn at night, could be partially to blame. The further Marjorie goes in her investigation into the occult, the weirder everything seems to get. As for the crying, suffice it to say that Marjorie makes a terrifying, bewildering discovery! The rest is a fairly basic possession story, w/ devilish forces aplenty. Marjorie grows increasingly anxious, feeling that eeevil spirits are making mischief. Paul is ever-skeptical, having no time or tolerance for any foolishness. More otherworldly events unfold, causing Marjorie to doubt her own sanity. This culminates in the rather anti-climactic, supernatural showdown. A fairly solid made-for-TV horror movie by Steven Spielberg that -sort of- prefigures POLTERGEIST. Watch for Roger Corman regular, Bruno VeSota and Spielberg himself as party guests!...
Still stuck in my head
sadsweeney28 September 2015
I've been thinking about this film recently, as I often have since the last time I saw it in the early 70's--Didn't even know it was Spielberg until now! I was trying to describe it to my adult child and Googled "70s horror movie devil in a jar" and voilà!

I saw the film just once. I find it impressive that the images have stayed with me past all of the in-theater and in-home filmed that have followed. I hear that Bach piece and have a flash of a boy at a piano--I'm sometimes tempted to look for those eyes when I look out my window on a dark night--and my garden shed recalls for me a vague memory of the scene in my Google search. Mostly, I remember my very patient dad staying up for hours so I'd feel safe sleeping.

I never searched for the film before--and here I find that it struck many of us who remember it years later.

Pretty effective, I'd say?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Influence on The Exorcist?
jwhickman25 November 2011
I know that The Possession Of Joel Delany (1972) is often cited as a possible cinematic influence on Friedkin's The Exorcist (1973), but I had never seen this little gem until recently. The finale has little Johnny Whitaker (yes, from Family Affair) possessed by a "devil" yelling weird demonic gibberish in a surprisingly creepy and effective vocal track and attacking his mother (Sandy Dennis) as objects fly around the room. The devil is driven out by the chanting words of love from mom. It's a brief scene that might elicit giggles from some, but it's strange how similar some scenes in The Exorcist would play out nearly two years later.
Steven Spielberg Movie
Bob-37612 May 2002
An early TV movie by Steven Spielberg, is pretty well made for this type of film. Family move into a house possessed by the devil, but the husband's wife can't see anything wrong with the place. Worth watching but not as good as some of the stuff he went on to direct in the next few years.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.