The Godfather (1972)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 40 items
Sex & Nudity
- Gangsters barge in on a man having sex with a prostitute. No nudity shown. The scene stops almost instantly (very brief)
- One scene of nudity (breasts) and a couple of sexual activity that don't show any nudity.
- The Godfather original cut (this version of the film is less common) has a scene in a strip club with a topless woman.
- A clothed sex scene lasts about 10 seconds up against a wall. Moaning is audible and we see thrusting but no nudity as we only see the upper half of the characters' bodies.
- A woman reveals herself to her new husband. We see her bare breasts for a few seconds.
- A woman makes a hand gesture implying her husband has a large penis, this may fly over some viewers' heads.
- A man kisses his mistress briefly.
Violence & Gore
- Lots of shootings, usually not that graphic.
- The violence is pretty moderate. It mostly just includes shootings with some blood shown.
- A man is shot between the eyes with blood mist. This is shown for a couple seconds. This is probably the most violent part in the movie.
- A man is shot four times by another man through a glass door. A bullet wound and later some blood on the glass is briefly seen. A man and woman in bed are shot to death with machine guns and blood spraying, bullet wounds are visible. The scene lasts a couple seconds.
- A man is stabbed in the hand and then garroted, a trickle of blood is seen on his hand. Lasts for roughly 18 seconds before the scene cuts.
- A man is shot in the eye, he slumps down dead. We see his glasses crack, and blood streaming for a second. Not too graphic.
- A man shoots two men, one in the head (we briefly see a bullet hole and red mist shooting from it), the other in the neck, then head with blood dripping from the bullet hole for two seconds.
- A man is shot 5 times in the back (from a distance), a dripping bullet wound is shown for a second or two.
- A man is shot dead in a car (not visible), a bullet hole in his head with blood trickling down is then seen for several seconds.
- Three men are shot by a policeman imposter; they die. Some blood is around two of the bodies briefly and a bullet wound dripping blood is shown on a man's back for two seconds.
- A man is strangled to death in a car, lasts for 13 seconds. He kicks through the windshield while struggling.
- A man is punched once. He is then seen with a rather swollen face and subtle black eye.
- Two uses of the word "Vaffanculo", Italian for "Fuck you".
- 7 uses of "goddamn" and 1 use of Jesus' name in vain.
- Extremely mild for an R rating.
- 7 uses of 'bitch', 5 of 'ass' (nonsexual), 3 of 'bastard', and 1 of 'dick' and 'crap'. Also 1 use of 'piece of ass' and 'banging' in a sexual context. And some racial slurs (mainly against Italians, but towards other races also; this includes two uses of the n word).
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Some of the movie's plot is centered around drugs and drug dealing. But no actual activity is shown with drugs
- Some casual smoking and drinking.
- A minor theme of drug trafficking is present in the movie. It is presented as a lucrative, but dirty, dangerous business.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The depiction of domestic violence in the movie is very intense and can be upsetting.
- The overall tone of the movie is very dark and depressing, especially during the latter half.
- Multiple major character deaths that may upset some viewers.
- Although almost every character is a criminal some deaths may still be emotional.
- Suggested Age: 14+ for intense violence, strong language, sexual content, partial nudity, and drug material. Suggested Rating: R, TV-14.
- Some of the assassinations are intense, the tollbooth and revolving-door shootings especially.
- One scene of an animal (horse) being killed may upset some viewers,
Violence & Gore
- A woman who is mad at her husband destroys some of the plates in her house, he hits her with his belt a couple of times and eventually corners her in the bathroom, and beats her up offscreen. Nothing is shown, but you can hear her scream and cry.
- A man gets into a brutal fist fight while children are watching. One of the opponents brutally bashes and kicks the other guy until he's unconscious. He also bites his hand, throws a garbage can over him and finishes by kicking him in the face.
- A man dies of a heart attack. This can be upsetting for some.
- There is a montage where many people are killed with some blood shown. Not too graphic but somewhat disturbing.
- A man is brutally gunned down by machine guns. Some blood sprays, he is screaming throughout the sequence. At the end his whole body is littered with bullet holes and there's some blood on him. He is then shot a few more times while he's dead. Some blood is shown but not too graphic..
- A man wakes up in his bed to find blood on his bedsheets. He begins to panic, removes his quilt and sees the severed head of a horse in his bed. Blood completely soaks the bed and the pyjamas he is wearing.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A Sicilian girl is blown up in a car bombing, intended for her husband, who screams attempting to stop her from getting inside the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 as he realises the threat. As he shouts her name, the car explodes with a loud bang. This scene is shocking and very sad.