The Godfather (1972)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 27 items
Sex & Nudity
- Gangsters barge in on a man having sex with a prostitute. No nudity shown.
- A clothed sex scene lasts about 5 seconds up against a door. Moaning is audible and we see thrusting but no nudity.
- A woman reveals herself to her new husband. We see her bare breasts and nipples.
- A woman makes a hand gesture implying her husband has a large penis.
- A man kisses his mistress briefly.
Violence & Gore
- After a woman calls another woman to inform that her husband has been cheating on her, she freaks on him and begins to thrash their house while her husband tries to beat her. He eventually corners her in the bathroom, and beats her up offscreen. Nothing is shown, but you can hear her scream and cry.
- A man gets into a brutal fist fight with his brother-in-law while children are watching. One of the opponents brutally bashes and kicks the other guy until he's unconscious. He also beats him with a garbage can.
- Lots of shooting with brutal results.
- A man is brutally gunned down by machine guns. Blood constantly spurts and sprays from his body, he is screaming throughout the sequence. At the end his whole body is littered with bullet holes and lots of blood. He is then shot a few more times while he's dead. Extremely brutal and bloody.
- A man wakes up in his bed to find blood on his bedsheets. he begins to panic, removes his quilt and sees the severed head of a horse in his bed. blood completely soaks the bed and the pyjamas he is wearing.
- A man is shot four times by another man through a glass door. A bullet wound and later some blood on the glass is briefly seen. A man and woman in bed are shot to death with machine guns, bullet wounds are visible. Lasts two seconds.
- A man is stabbed in the hand and then garroted, a trickle of blood is seen on his hand. Lasts for roughly 18 seconds before the scene cuts.
- A man is shot in the eye, he slumps down dead. We see his glasses crack, and blood streaming for a second.
- A man shoots two men, one in the head (we briefly see a bullet hole and red mist shooting from it), the other in the neck, then head with blood dripping from the bullet hole for two seconds.
- A man is shot 5 times in the back (from a distance), a dripping bullet wound is shown for a second or two.
- A man is shot dead in a car (not visible), a bullet hole in his head with blood trickling down is then seen for several seconds.
- Three men are shot by a policeman imposter; they die. Some blood is around two of the bodies briefly and a bullet wound dripping blood is shown on a man's back for two seconds.
- A man is strangled to death in a car, lasts for 13 seconds. He kicks through the windshield while struggling.
- A man is punched once. He is then seen with a rather swollen face and subtle black eye. A man beats his wife offscreen shortly. He is also bloodlessly roughed up by her brother in one scene (from a distance).
- Two uses of the word "Vaffanculo", Italian for "Fuck you".
- 7 uses of "goddamn" and 1 use of Jesus' name in vain.
- 7 uses of 'son of a bitch', 5 of 'ass' (nonsexual), 3 of 'bastard', and 1 of 'dick' and 'crap'. Also 1 use of 'piece of ass' and 'banging' from hostile characters. And some racial slurs (mainly against Italians, but towards other races also; this includes two uses of 'nigger').
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A little bit of the movie is centered around drugs and selling drugs. But no actual activity is shown with drugs
- Some casual smoking and drinking.
- A minor theme of drug trafficking is present in the movie. It is presented as a lucrative, but dirty, dangerous business.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Some of the assassinations are intense, the tollbooth and revolving-door shootings especially.
- The horse head scene may upset some.