Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) Poster

One of my all-time favourites.
barnabyrudge25 March 2004
Surprisingly, Roald Dahl (author of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, on which this film is based) reportedly hated this big screen version of his book. There's no denying that the book is sheer genius, but in all honesty this film adaptation is exceptionally well made too. In fact, it comes high up on my list of all-time movie favourites.

The Wonka Chocolate Factory is an amazing building from which some of the most scrumdiddlyumptious sweets are delivered to the world's candy stores. Wonka-mania hits the world when five golden tickets are hidden inside packs of Wonka bars - for the winners will be granted a tour of the top-secret factory. Young Charlie Bucket, a poor boy whose family cottage lies within sight of Wonka's factory, dreams of becoming a winner - but with barely a penny to his name, does he have a chance?

What makes Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory such a success is the way it skillfully blends entertainment and a serious underlying moral. Each winning child is exposed as being rotten-to-the-core, then dealt with harshly and dismissively by Wonka. Seeing these awful brats get their come-uppance is hilarious, enjoyable and - on a serious level - quite eye-opening (it's as if parents in the audience are being told how to prevent their children from turning bad). Gene Wilder was simply born to play Wonka (every eccentric phrase, every bemused expression, and every mischievous glance is judged to perfection). The film's set design is fabulous, with particular high-spots including the chocolate room, the egg room and the wacky corridor which gets smaller and narrower the closer you get to the end. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is simply magic - a film that everyone must see, especially parents whose kids are just becoming that bit too big for their boots!
114 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So shines a good deed in a weary world.
Spikeopath10 December 2010
The world goes on chocolate overdrive when it's announced that famed candy maker, Willy Wonka, has put five golden tickets in his Wonka Bars. The lucky recipients of these tickets will be treated to a day out in the top secret Wonka factory, where they can see how the sweets are made, and if they are even luckier, they will get a lifetimes supply of free chocolate. Nobody wants a golden ticket more than Charlie Bucket, from a desperately poor family, Charlie has learned to accept his heritage with a grace and credibility not befitting most other children. So when a miracle upon miracles happens, and Charlie finds a golden ticket, it just may prove to be a turning point far beyond his wildest dreams.

They say that true love lasts a lifetime, so shall it be the case with Willy Wonka and myself. As a child I was captivated by the colours, the dream of myself being able to visit a magical place where sweets and chocolate roll off the production line purely for my ingestion. Songs that I memorised back in my youth have never left me, and now as a considerably middle aged adult male, I can still embrace, and feel the magic, whilst enjoying the darkly knowing aspects of this fabulous and wondrous black comedy.

Roald Dahl was quite a writer of note, and thankfully the makers here have brought his astute morality tale to vivid cinematic life. Director Mel Stuart, aided by his screenwriter David Seltzer, even manage to add to Dahl's wonderful story courtesy of a sinister outsider, who apparently in the guise of a rival corporation, will pay handsomely for a Wonka top secret, morality, greed and power all coming together in one big chocolate explosion. The greatest gift that Willy Wonka gives, tho, is that of the set designs and art direction, where in an almost hypnotically drug induced colourful world, Wonka's factory is a child's dream come true, however, peril is at every turn as life's lessons dolled out courtesy of the scarily cute Oompa Loompas.

Songs are provided by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricuse, with the sumptuous art coming from Harper Goff. Gene Wilder takes the lead role of Willy Wonka, magnetic and bordering on clued in madness, Wilder takes his rightful place in the pantheon of memorable performances performed in fantasy pictures. But ultimately it's the story and the way it appeals to every age group that makes Willy Wonka a prize treasure, the kids love it, while the adults watching with them will be wryly nodding and trying to suppress the onset of a devilish grin.

Pure magic is Willy Wonka, see it now in High Definition TV to fully realise the dream/nightmare on offer, oh oh I love it so. 10/10
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gene Wilder revealed...
brundage320 May 2005
Most excellent works in the arts are seen and enjoyed at a variety of "levels." That is true of this movie in general and of Gene Wilder in specific.

Wilder has been known in the circles of movie creators as a creative genius for many years. Here, his acting ability showcases that genius. To be sure, at the level of good fun for kids and Moms and Dads, he comes through. But writers must have loved his work. Watch for the "look" in his eyes. You will see "changes" in them as he speaks or as he listens to the kids. Those unheard, barely seen changes can be read many ways. And that is the genius. They put more into the lines than the words themselves.

Art should be clearly and quickly understood. It should also be the tool used to make us wonder a bit. Think a little. Or find meaning we didn't see at first look.

In this movie, Gene Wilder's almost imperceptible nuances speak volumes.
124 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timeless.
Anonymous_Maxine30 September 2001
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a truly magnificent piece of filmmaking and remains one of the most fascinating and wonderful adventure films ever made. One of the things that makes this film so intriguing is that it could have been made at any time. I mean, just from watching it, you can't really tell when it was made. It has been one of my favorite films for almost 20 years now, and it wasn't until today that I actually realized when it was made. Watching it again last night, I had convinced myself that it was made sometime in the early to mid 80s, and I was shocked to find out that this year is the movie's 30 year anniversary. Until now, pretty much the only movie I associate with 1971 is A Clockwork Orange, and it's just strange for some reason to find out that this classic movie was made so long ago.

At any rate, Willy Wonka is a tremendously imaginative and inspiring film. It's a family film, but one of the most important aspects of a family film is that it has to be enjoyable for a variety of ages. This is what makes movies like Toy Story and Shrek such huge successes- the adults will love it just as much as the kids are sure to. Hence: `family' film. On the other hand, this is also the downfall of such other movies that are strictly for a much younger audience, like Cats & Dogs. The makers of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory understood this very well, and you can see that just by the way that the cast is divided. Here are all of these kids (funny how it was only kids who found those golden tickets…) who were at this candy factory, and they had each elected to bring one of their parents with them as the one admissible member of their family who was allowed by Wonka to accompany them to the factory.

One of the best elements of this film is the excellently written script and, even more, the songs. These are some of the best songs in any movie ever made, rivaling even the best of the songs from Disney's films (hey, some of them are really good…). There are, of course, some exceptions, such as `Cheer up, Charlie,' which I have been fast-forwarding through for as long as I can remember, but for the most part, the songs are fun to listen to and they pertain to life outside the movie. They are not just songs about the candy-making genius of Willy Wonka or the excitement of being able to tour his mysterious factory, but they are about life in the real world. They're about believing in yourself and being motivated in life (`Anything you want to, do it. Want to change the world, there's nothing to it…'), but there are also some that have to do mostly with the movie but are still just as enjoyable, such as the classic song that Wonka sings in the tunnel on board his boat (curiously named `Wonkatania'), which was creepily covered by Marilyn Manson a couple of decades later.

The dialogue in the film contains some of the most interesting little tidbits in the entire movie. Wonka's lines, in particular, are wonderfully strange and amusing (`A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men.'). He is a truly eccentric and fascinating man, and Gene Wilder captures the character flawlessly, as he delivers the lines from the brilliantly written script. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of those rare movies that comes along and completely changes the way that fantasy films are made. It's all about having fun in life and being hopeful against all odds and, most of all, being able to have fun in life. There are times when you have to let things go for a while and just act like a kid. Eat candy, run around and play, steal fizzy lifting drinks and bump into the ceiling that now has to be washed and sterilized, it doesn't matter as long as no one's looking. That's such a trivial little quirk of Wonka's (who sterilizes their ceiling?) that it becomes obvious that the movie is trying to say that it's okay to break the rules every once in a while. Have fun in life.

Besides being absolutely mouth-watering (to this day, I still fantasize about sinking my teeth into one of those gigantic gummy bears), the movie is an uplifting adventure that warms the heart and sends people of all ages away with fairy tale candies dancing in their heads and wonderful songs just behind their lips. It is an always-welcome vacation from reality for people of all ages, and it should always be remembered and loved for that. This movie will ALWAYS be a must-see.
128 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"WE are the music-makers, and WE are the dreamers of dreams!"
great_sphinx_429 June 1999
When I was a kid, my mom made me sit through this a trillion and one times. It's one of her favorites. I liked it well enough back then, but it's only now that I'm older that I can appreciate the true sinister glory of this movie. It's so deliciously creepy! For those who have to whine about how messed up it is, consider the original "Cinderella." Now that was awful. Willy Wonka is the stranger with a bag of chocolate that parents are always warning their kids about, but what he's really offering is a seductive nightmare in a kaleidescope of candy colors, a cautionary tale told with fairy story whimsy. I got it when I was 5, but the thrill didn't register. "A dirty trick on innocent children?" Some people out there obviously don't remember what it's really like to be a kid. Childhood is full of booby traps and the allure of the forbidden, and that which is evil frequently looks divine. "Willy Wonka" is about giving in and seeing the horrors and delights, the choices and pratfalls on the other side. It's disturbing because it strikes a certain primal chord: freedom and danger are entwined, and people have never wanted to associate children with either.
99 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Goodness!
Smells_Like_Cheese10 January 2004
Anyone could love this film and I don't see how you couldn't fall in love with Willy Wonka. This is without a doubt one of the most charming movies of all time that is still to this day one of the most enjoyed movies for a family night. Despite it's dark little messages, it still made light of everything and made this movie "satisfying and delicious".

You'll see a world of pure imagination and will absolutely fall for Willy Wonka. Gene Wilder is a comedic genius who will forever be the timeless Willy Wonka. He played it so well and made it look so easy. All the kids were amazing as well, I mean the boy who played Charlie was so adorable and you felt so awful for him. You just wished for his deepest wishes to come true. The sets are also just fantastic and so yummy to look at. On of my favorite scenes was with the "inventing room", all the amazing gizzmo's. I also loved how we took a peek into Wonka's madness when he throws a shoe into a boiling water pot and says "It gives it a little kick". One of my favorite lines of all time is "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker".

The film is not only great to look at but it has terrific and catchy songs that will be stuck in your head and find yourself humming down the street. This is going to be a timeless classic that I can't wait to show my future children.

100 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my all time favorites...
movie_dude71928 December 2000
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: ****

"Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" is a wonderful movie that should be viewed by everyone. It is one of my personal favorites.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is about a poor boy named Charlie (Peter Ostrum). His life is horrible. But one day, he hears the news that Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) is sending out five golden tickets and then letting the winners go into his factory. The first four winners are Augustus Gloop (Michael Bollner), Veruca Salt (Julie Dawn Cole), Violet Beauregarde (Denise Nickerson), and Mike Teevee (Paris Themmen). Charlie then wins the fifth golden ticket by luck.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is visually stunning and cleverly written. The songs are remarkable. The whole movie is a fun journey through the chocolate factory. It is very enjoyable, fun, and clever. The scenery and props are eye candy.

The most underrated character in the movie is Mr. Turkentine. He is only in three scenes, but everytime he is on screen he is hilarious. I love the quote: "I've just decided to switch our Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it. But since today is Tuesday, it doesn't matter in the slightest." He is very, very funny.

Julie Dawn Cole plays Veruca so well. She is so bratty and she is one of those characters that you hate so much you love them. Roy Kinnear (who will be missed) is hysterical as her father. The whole movie is funny in it's own odd and strange way. It is a classic that will be treasured for many years to come.
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply indispensable
Don Muvo25 December 2004
All the ideas that Rould Dahl puts into his book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" are here in an imaginative visual form appropriate to the time it was made. A lot of attention was paid to the sets and visual effects, clever special effects such as a trap door and miniturization testify to the care that the producers put into making this movie. The theme of the movie is difficult for adults. There are bad children in the world. They come from bad parents, they're not created by emulation, but rather the parents "produce them", much like chocolate is produced in a factory. The factory is populated by miniature people named oomphaloopas that remind the listener at intervals of Dahl's moral points: Too much TV is bad for children, books should be read instead, and children need to adhere to an ethical code of some sort in order to grow up strong. And who knew Gene Wilder had such a beautiful singing voice! The music is some of the best show music of it's time, including "The Candy Man".
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic
OriginalMovieBuff2122 June 2005
"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it." Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory is one of the best children films of all-time. The characters, you all have to adore, even if their annoying or not. The film is about a boy who finds a golden ticket in a Willy Wonka chocolate bar and heads off to see the Willy Wonka factory with his grandpa and other people. Gene Wilder was great as Willy Wonka and his performance was quite funny and actually kind of weird. The kids were all great especially Augustus Gloop, he was hilarious. Overall, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory is a classic and should be viewed by everyone.

Hedeen's Oulook: 9/10 ***+ A-
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Good Message In Which Goodness Prevails
ccthemovieman-114 June 2006
When I first saw this movie on VHS in the late '80s, I was shocked. A '70s movie with a GOOD message?? I couldn't believe it. The message: kids - be honest and be trustworthy and don't be obnoxious; parents - don't spoil your kids or they'll quickly turn out to be brats.

Wow, no wonder liberal critics like Leonard Maltin trashed this film. It was not the normal message being delivered in movies, which usually trashes the good and glorifies the bad. That's what makes this story refreshing, and the same goes for the re-make that was released in 2005.

Peter Ostrum plays the likable Charlie and is very good. He's one of the nicest kids ever put on screen and was a fine actor. It's kind of surprising this was the only film he ever did! Jack Albertson does a nice job of Charlie's loving grandpa and so do the bratty kids, especially the English girl who is so bad you have to laugh at her.

The first part of the story was a good satire on how people sometimes make trivial things so important and how the news media gets carried way with stupid issues. (Wow, look at it now!) The second half of the story is intriguing because of the co-star of the film: Willy Wonka - a no-nonsense candy maker who doesn't put up with the brats - was fascinating to watch. (The critics thought he was too nasty.) Gene Wilder is excellent as Willy. Yes, he has a bit of a mean streak to him but his comments are fun to hear and on the money despite his lack of verbal tact. Most people prefer Wilder's version of "Wonka," by the way, over the bizarre-but- talented Johnny Depp's.

This was an entertaining film that should keep your interest. It's also an interesting comparison to the 2005 movie. Frankly, I enjoyed both.
46 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If this movie sucks, then I'm a vernicious canid. (spoilers)
vertigo_143 April 2005
'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' has withstood the test of time. And though quite dated, it is still a widely enjoyed film (with good reason!). This movie had a magnificent performance by Gene Wilder as Wonka, a wonderful story and great art direction for its day as they brought all of the awesome things at the Wonka factory to life (how cool it would be if you could actually go to a place like that), to being a superb musical.

The story is that of a famed chocolate manufacturer, Willy Wonka, who's factory is a magical secret that was shut down when competing candy companies kept trying to infiltrate the factory with their spies who wanted hold of the ingredients that made Wonka's candy the most novel and ultimately, the most novel. Of course, Wonka has a change of heart, and decides to hold a contest whereby the people who can find one of the five golden tickets randomly (maybe, all of the winners were conveniently children, four of which had horrible manners) in Wonka candy. It could be anywhere.

One by one, it seems that the tickets are being found, particularly by obnoxious kids who are all about the same age. (Veruca Salt, the most horrid and funniest of them all, would later inspire a late 90s alternative band). The selfish British brat, the slothy German boy, the record gumchewer with the sleazy car salesman father, and the boy who lives in front of the television. And there's only one ticket left. Meanwhile, a pathetic, depressed little boy named Charlie Bucket wants nothing more than to get hold of one of those tickets and witness the magic of the Wonka factory. Well, cheer up Charlie, because its about to happen.

The trip in Wonka is more than just an invitation for unrivaled fun, however. It is a test. One of Wonka's rivals known as Slugworth, has promised a valuable sum to each of the children who steal from Wonka one of his newest inventions -- an Everlasting Gobstopper-- so that his company might steal the ingredients. Will all remain loyal to Slugworth?

This is one of Gene Wilder's best performances, perfectly making the Wonka character his own. This was also the movie that introduced to the world the cautionary cult favorite midgets known as the Oompa Loompas, slaves who were rescued by Wonka to...well serve as his slaves. And, serving as a brief psychedelic inject into the events in the factory, make the lessons learned more obvious than they could have already been.

Charlie Bucket's character, however, could not be written to be more pathetic, as though the filmmakers were absolutely sure that this was the kid you had the most sympathy for. From the mother working in the laundry hand-washing clothes, to the bare one room house and the enormous bed shared by all of the grandparents with counterpart names, to Charlie's constantly furrowed brow and curled lip.

But, aside from this minor flaw, the movie has so many memorable things about it. I particularly like the Dr. Suess-esque setting. I can see why Tim Burton might be asked to be the next to recreate the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, as the original looked like his style to begin with (like the foamy float machine or the bizarre sequence where Wonka appears to go momentarily mad). Nonetheless, may the legacy of the first live on for years to come. It is still one of the greatest family films ever made.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a golden ticket for an ultimate experience..
Arth_Joshi31 May 2018
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

The stunning rich visuals that projects excellence in production and costume design along with amazing graphics in 70's, is the window where the feature lures its audience in and flaunts it majestically. Such a simple yet deep concept is so pleasingly intriguing that one finds itself falling into the world half-way through the feature without even blinking. The passion and enthusiasm for such an eerie project is why it works for the most part of it while the rest is left upon its dark humour which may not be hilarious but certainly offers a chuckle every now and then. A gripping screenplay by Roald Dahl, himself who wrote the original book from which it is adapted, and Mel Stuart with his brilliant execution skills ups the ante and easily allows it to enter into the major league. On performance objective, Gene Wilder is stunning and satisfactory as usual and is supported by talented young actors and their humorous guardians. The first act is hilarious and exhilarating and longer than usual (which it doesn't seem so) after which it goes into dark place in its rest of the act but even that tone is so certifiably pleasing that no one minds it despite of being a feature primarily for children. Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory is a golden ticket for the ultimate cinematic experience where it doesn't bother to worry about its diplomacy and rather lets itself sink into its self-created poetic world.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Willy, you had me at "Pure Imagination"!
CrazyMovieLady18 July 2011
I think it's pretty safe to say that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a timeless classic. Not only does it feature a great plot, fantastic acting and show how movies don't have to be full of computer animation to be good, but it also features some of the best music I have ever heard in a movie.

I still remember, almost as clearly as if it were yesterday, the remarkable thing the movie did to me the first time I watched it: It completely changed my mind about musicals! I was about 10 years old when I first sat down and watched the movie. Like a lot of kids, I didn't much care for musical numbers in movies. So when the music for "Pure Imagination" started playing, I thought, "Oh great, a musical number!" I was just about to press the fast-forward button when Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) began singing.

Within about two seconds, I was completely mesmerized! I didn't think I had ever heard such a beautiful song in my life, nor had I heard too many singing voices that were as beautiful as Willy's. It felt like he was singing that song as much to me as he was to the kids and parents in the movie! That song certainly captured MY imagination, and after hearing it for the first time, I saw musicals in a whole new light.

I may be grown now, but I still like the movie every bit as much as I did as a ten-year-old....and I will always have a special spot in my heart for "Pure Imagination" the song that convinced me that musicals can be some of the best movies out there!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film better than the 2005 remake
usersince0313 September 2010
The first time I saw this film was about 15 years ago when I was at school. This is about Charlie Bucket winning a ticket to go to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory with 4 other children. As a kid I found it frightening when Violet turned blue when she had that gum that wasn't meant to be chewed. I liked the songs in the film, I used to find the song Cheer Up Charlie boring but I like it better now I'm older. As much as I love Johnny Depp I thought this version was better than the 2005 remake. Roald Dahl may of disapproved of the film but I thought it was great. I think the all the cast members did a great performance. The one scene that I found boring was when Charlie and his Grandad stole fizzy lifting drink and was floating in the air.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic
rossrobinson5 November 2003
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has got to be one of the people's most fantastic movies ever i think. I really enjoyed this movie and it was very good and magical. This movie was a movie that was made into one of Roald Dahl's books. I think Roald Dahl was a great author, he wrote some fantastic stories and those stories were made into films. I give this movie 10 out of 10 because i just think that it is fantastic and very enjoyable to watch.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet as chocolate!
Coventry24 July 2005
With the brand-new version of Tim Burton coming up, I thought it would be appropriate to watch the very first film-adaptation of Roald Dahl's popular children-novella first. Over 30 years old already, but this charming and moralistic fairy-tale still is a joy for all senses, with its likable main characters, exhilarating songs and valuable life-lessons. The movie might start out a little slow and overly dramatic with the extended portrait of the poor Charlie Bucket who has to work in order to support his family and he can only secretly dream about winning a grand tour in the wonderful chocolate factory owned by the mysterious Willy Wonka. But, when the miracle than occurs and Charlie walks into the factory together with four greedy kids, the movie REALLY takes off! The children and their adult companions are guided through the colorful landscapes and ingenious techniques of Wonka-world, where chocolate flows in rivers and candy bars can be taken out of TV-screens. This is a very fun movie and Dahl's rich but bizarre imagination is wonderfully put to the screen by Mel Stuart. The set pieces are magnificent and they really have the true magical feel of fantasy. Typical for Roald Dahl's work also is the slightly sinister and horrific touch, which is perfectly illustrated here in the unsettling boat-ride-through-the-cavern sequence. This particular scene is perhaps the most memorable one of the entire movie because of it's great use of sound and lighting! New surprises and eccentric plot-twists are provided every couple of seconds and Gene Wilder's jolly (but tempered) performance as the extravagant factory-owner really makes this movie complete. I can only hope the 2005 version will be as fabulous as this but I'm quite sure it will be. After all, if there's one team able to re-tell this insanely great tale, it has got to be Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is like a big bar of chocolate: delicious...and you're never too old to enjoy it!
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gene Wilder!
AhmedSpielberg994 June 2018
It's Gene Wilder, at the top of his form, who made this unique imaginative adventure more vibrant and gleeful. His energetic performance is by no means different from Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins. He absolutely deserved ,at least, an Oscar nomination. The movie lost some of its sharpness and suffered from some monotony after some time from reaching the factory. But besides the gorgeous production design and cool visuals, there was Wilder's charisma that helped to elevate the movie. The first half of the movie has great emotional value, and established the characters very well. Also, it feature some of the most beautiful songs of the movie. But due to the fast pacing, there was an action in the first half that felt forced, if it was necessary to serve a turning point of the story.

There are many powerful and very important messages in the movie. But the greatest thing about them is not actually the messages themselves, as we witnessed them delivered in a lot of movies before, but it's how genuine these messages seem as they are delivered in this particular story. Peter Ostrum is great in his first and ,unfortunately, his last role. There are many dramatic scenes that required a very good actor and he is. Actually, I didn't feel for even a moment that this is his acting debut. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is a total blast from start to finish. It's Scrumdiddlyumptious!

(8.5/10)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true classic
maskoflight199526 January 2011
If there was a film I remember fondly from my childhood, it wouldn't be The Wizard of Oz, but Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

This seems extremely well done for 1971 (Though this was the year of A Clockwork Orange and The French Connection). The beautiful interior designs give the film a sense of imagination,and the shots of Munich and Nordlingen give it that timeless feel. The songs are all classic( even "Cheer Up Charlie" which seems to be often skipped over while watching the film, plus it has the best vocals).

The performances are just simply wonderful. Wilder's performance has the perfect mix of pure joy and creepiness. Albertson gives us some classic jokes. Ostrum plays Charlie as one of the most likable child characters in film history.

I still recommend this over Tim Burton's re-imagining of the book. Though Burton's film does explain some little plot holes (How did Wonka know kids would get the tickets?) and updates some of the films characters, it still can't compare to this classic.

To sum up the film: It's Scrumdidilyumptious! P.S. Depp's Wonka has some funny lines, but the execution is terrible!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scrumptious!
mathewshires13 October 2001
This is a fantastic and witty film, a genuine treat for all ages. It's been said that the movie never feels quite happy with itself and is occasionally a touch too dark, but that's partly the point-there's some serious messages and themes about greed and family here amongst the candy bars, Oompa-Loompa singalongs and weird gadgets. Gene Wilder is great as Willy Wonka-this is a vastly entertaining and interesting family flick. Great fun.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've Never Forgot This Film
Big Movie Fan28 August 2002
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is a beautiful film which I can still watch today and enjoy.

Before I saw this movie I had read the book entitled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl and it was magic. As for this film, it was pure fantasy.

Anybody can enjoy this film whether they be aged 10 or 100. I loved fantasy as a child and being whisked off to worlds with magic and wizards and strange creatures. Willy Wonka is set on Earth but not the Earth we know of. Willy Wonka's world is beautiful. Wonka is a benevolent old chocolate maker who invites some kids round to his chocolate factory where they can see all his delights and visit his magical world.

The really great thing about a film like this is how it can whisk you off to another world. Forget whatever troubles you've got, forget about those bills you have to pay, forget about sitting in rush hour traffic every morning and just enjoy this magical film which whisks you off to another world, a world where dreams come true, a world where there is nothing but love and magic. I can guarantee that whoever watches it will be taken in by the magic.

Simply beautiful!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thanks Roald
daveisit7 November 2000
A reason that is often overlooked on the brilliance of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" is the author of the original book. Roald Dahl not only creates wonderful characters, he has the ability to perfectly capture children's imagination. Aside from Dahl's writing, there are strong performances throughout the movie especially Gene Wilder as "Willy Wonka" who is perfect. Germany's Michael Bollner as "Augustus Gloop" should also be applauded for the delivery of his lines which for him were in a foreign language, although not entirely convincing.

Even if this movie was butchered by the director, which it certainly wasn't, it would have been good. The moronic parents in this movie provide an accurate portrayal of how one eyed and disillusioned parents can be of their children. See it.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poignant, Moralistic & Eye-Poppingly Brilliant!
RLANTZ18 April 2006
Having seen this as a 10 year old, I can understand how this film still brings me a great sense of warmth. Being a HUGE fan of chocolate, I was instantly drawn to the theater that day. Wonka bars were being sold by the fistfuls at the concession stand. Having procured my bounty. I stepped in, soon to be enveloped in pure cinematic magic. I was not disappointed, for then I became completely immersed in the films warm, chocolate blanket. I just saw this on TV a few days ago, and was (almost) equally mesmerized by the imagery. Undoubtedly Gene Wilder's most endearing role. If any of you didn't get choked up when Charlie unwraps the golden ticket, Sorry, you're dead already. I have to give it a 10
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Imagination
Blueghost14 February 2017
To me this is arguably Gene Wilder's best role. Of all the stuff I've seen him in this is the most indelible performance and character he performed and created for the silver screen. I hope I don't sound like I'm fawning, but the sarcastic quips and baiting he provide in his Wonka character are exacting and just simply laugh-out-loud hilarious.

To me this is one of the last of the great non-Disney children's films. Made in a day and age when process shots were expensive and hard to produce, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory rely on the musical trend of the time, but do so successfully I think. So much that I think modern contemporary audiences, most of whom disdain the musical genre, will go along with the numbers as part of the narrative, and not as something meant to draw attention to themselves for the sake of adornment.

Even in my middle age I am delighted by this film, and even though I knew the film backwards and forwards like a lot of other adults who saw this film when it first premiered on the big screen in 1971, I still felt a thrill when Charlie has his big moment of luck. I felt like a boy all over again. And when Willy Wonka makes his smiling remarks to the various comments and actions made by his guests touring his establishment, I simply could not hold back my laughter.

Even as a teen and 20-something when I saw this film I smiled at both the story and the Wonka character, as well as at Charlie and his family.

To me Willy Wonka was made in a time when there was still a kind of understood (all be it tacit) "respect" for the spirit of the ever so repressive rules of the former Hayes' office that had clamped down on a lot of perceived "immorality" portrayed in films. Nobody wants to take their kid to a film with a lot of sex and explicit gory violence. And where everyone has a kind of innate understanding of what is proper and improper, to me Willy Wonka has that kind of essence of truly making a family film, or a G-rated film that can be enjoyed by everyone.

The script is intelligent and witty, the child actors are truly marvelous in this, and the leads and supporting cast do their usual exceptional bang up job. And the music isn't half bad either.

Colorful, a bit slower paced in terms of editing, but no less full of zest for modern conventional story telling style, Willy Wonka is the kind of film they don't make anymore but should. And kudos to the entire cast, and in particular Gene Wilder for giving us the sly eccentric genius whose quest for character is fulfilled superbly.

A great film. Get a copy or stream it for yourself, or with those you love.

Enjoy.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gene Wilder is magnificent, in the original -and, still the best.
UNOhwen22 October 2011
One of the best films - for children, for adults - ever made.

It never panders, it can be quite dark.

The wonderful performance of Gene Wilder can boarder, at times, on madness, cruelty, but - even when I was little, I loved this, and, I understood.

'Remember what happens to the man who got everything he wanted? He lived happily eve after...'

It's one of the last lines in the film, and while it's spoken to Charlie, it's really about Wonka himself.

He found someone - someone he could trust with his secrets. And, Charlie learned that, being honest does pay off.

Another line from the film; ''So shines a good deed in a weary world,' which while, originally from Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, still resounds with much meaning.

There are some 'perennials,' in the film, and, this one shines as one that every child, can love, and, grow up, to share with theirs.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
there is so much good in this movie
treykrumel27 August 2018
Usually when you watch you would expect everything to be perfect that goes along with this movie it was perfect just pure imagination this will truly go down as one of the biggest classics of our time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.