Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 16 items
Sex & Nudity
Violence & Gore
- While floating down a river in a boat through a tunnel, several images are flashed on the walls around the adult and children passengers. One of the images the passengers see is a chicken getting its head cut off. This is very brief and not graphic.
- One use of the word "hell".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Grandpa Joe talks about using tobacco (we never see him use it before he gives it up due to poverty), and Willy Wonka is seen smoking a cigar at the beginning of the scene in his office at the end of the movie (the end of the cigar is just barely visable, though, so this may go unnoticed). Later on in that same scene, you can catch a glimpse of the cigar in the half ashtray on Wonka's desk, but as it's only visable for a few seconds at most, it may also go unnoticed.
- One of the confections being made in the inventing room is called "Butterscotch/Buttergin". Wonka says "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- If you really think about it, the movie overall is pretty dark.
- Some children and certain adults may find "Tinker" man to be unnerving.
- The idea that the naughty children are never seen again implies that something gruesome might've happened to them, which is a scary thought.
- The infamous boat ride scene involves the boat speeding through a dark tunnel, lit up by multicolored lights, and several disturbing images appearing spontaneously in the background, including several spiders and insects, a millipede crawling along the face of a seemingly asleep or possibly dead man, a staring eye, a chicken being decapitated, and Mr. Slugworth.
- When Slugworth approaches the Golden Ticket winners, he is accompanied by creepy music; he also blocks Charlie's path in a tunnel.
- In one scene, a woman whose husband has been kidnapped is shown to be very upset and yells every word she says.
- A child is sucked up a pipe that leads to a boiler. It is later revealed that he will be okay.
- After consuming soda pop that makes them float, Charlie and his grandfather begin rising toward a large ceiling fan. They realize they are under the threat of being "chopped to bits" and repeatedly cry out for help, but their cries go unheeded. However, they soon discover that burping will cause them to descend and are able to save themselves.
- A child is turned into a giant blueberry. It is later revealed that she will be okay.
- A child falls through a chute that leads to the furnace. Her father jumps in after her. It is later revealed that they will be okay.
- Wonka scolds Grandpa Joe and Charlie for "breaking the rules". Some children might be disturbed by this, as it is a large change from his usual personality, and he raises his voice quite loudly.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Augustus gets stuck inside a tube and blasts off to a different room! And also the vehicle seat numbers are enough for everyone inside, making some people believe that Wonka knew some kids were going to lose.