Night Gallery (TV Series 1969–1973) Poster

(1969–1973)

Creepy chills and grisly gems on display for your perusal...
Caught a few episodes of this once again, as part of a Memorial Day marathon on Encore's MYSTERY! Channel. In spite of the fact that it was mostly reviled by critics and not a few viewers, when it originally ran on NBC back in the early '70's, it now has garnered a cult following and I can definitely see why.

GALLERY in its own way, did for horror anthologies what TWILIGHT ZONE did for science fiction and fantasy. It's not as good as ZONE was in most respects, and I don't think that Rod Serling intended it to be. Free of the pressure of topping himself, which was something damn near impossible to do, GALLERY could be wildly uneven in the way the stories were featured, as it has been mentioned before, in terms of both quantity and quality. One story could take up an entire hour, while a half-hour tale could be accompanied by much shorter vignettes, some of them no more than LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE-quality blackouts, albeit it with endings that feature mayhem rather than marriage, though just as hokey.

A lot of the clothes, the special effects, the skewed photographic angles and lighting are positively outdated by today's standards, but that is a big part of the charm of revisiting a lot of the episodes, many which are all too familiar to the generation that grew up with GALLERY and its peer programs from this particular era.

Even more fascinating, however, is the chance to see movie and TV veterans rubbing elbows and sharing scenes with many "newbies," a lot of whom are established stars today, and the chance to see them cutting their teeth on '70's material is an interesting and sometimes enlightening experience. For example, one episode I viewed featured Kim Hunter, Harry Morgan and a very young Randy Quaid; another starred an up-and-coming actor named Bill Bixby, with Carol Lynley, Ned Glass and Donna Douglas (yes, as in "Ellie Mae Clampett," but without most of her corn-pone accent.)

Based on classic short stories by everyone from August Derleth and H.P. Lovecraft ("Pickman's Model"), to Charles Beaumont and Ray Bradbury, the adaptations varied in quality, but usually never suffered as much as the original stories. Even so, there were scripts, directing and acting that are still every bit as good as anything produced today, better even, since anthology shows such as this are in woefully short supply (though the revamped THE OUTER LIMITS is in reruns, and I've heard a new version of THE TWILIGHT ZONE is in the works.)

Case in point, is one of the episodes I saw in the marathon, called THE WAITING ROOM. From an original Rod Serling story, directed by one of the resident GALLERY helmers, Jeannot Szwarc, this was a masterfully dark Old West tale with a twist, and a Who's-Who of a cast that would put any character actor buff or fan of Western potboilers into High Noon Heaven: Steve Forrest, Buddy Ebsen, Lex Barker, Albert Salmi, Jim Davis and Gilbert Roland. This tale brought to mind a movie TNT did not so long ago called PURGATORY, but where that film needed ninety minutes, this episode delivered a similar punch in thirty.

Of course, there is the now-legendary work done in both the pilot movie and the series by some young, green, but talented kid with the unlikely last name of Spielberg, but if you should happen to catch this while channel-surfing, look beyond those prejudicial impressions, stop and give it a chance, especially if you haven't seen it in quite a while. There are plenty of misses that were made during GALLERY'S three-season run, but the hits, which can still leave trails of cranberry-sized goosebumps down the back of your spine, are definitely worth it. Don't believe me? Well, you'll know whether or not NIGHT GALLERY can still have an effect on you, if you still shudder when you read my closing sentence...

"...and the FEMALE LAYS EGGS...."
28 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Fantastic Series
laffinsal2 April 2004
One of the most underrated TV series of the 1970s, and of all time, is this terrific collection of sci-fi and horror stories, hosted by Rod Serling. Often (wrongly) compared to Serling's other series, "The Twilight Zone"...the overall mood, and purpose of this series is different. The "Zone" was a collection of morality tales, disguised as sci-fi stories. A fantastic show, without a doubt, but the "Gallery" was designed purely to shock and entertain...and it certainly succeeded in that area.

So much great talent was on display in this series. The actors, writers, directors, and musicians were almost always top-notch. Though the decision to have multiple stories within each episode, did result in some mediocre results sometimes (especially with the campy vignettes), the quality of the better segments is what most remember best.

Among some of the better segments:

"They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar", with William Windom (in an awesome performance) as a has-been salesman who's beckoned by the ghosts of his past.

"The Doll", about a gruesome doll, sent to a British officer as revenge.

"The Tune in Dan's Cafe", about a haunted jukebox that plays the same song always.

"Green Fingers", with Elsa Lanchester as an elderly woman, harassed by a tycoon who wants her land, where she has an unusual knack for gardening.

So many more great ones. Some folks get turned off by the dated 1970s look to this show (the costumes, sets, bright color, excessive use of zooms/close-ups). If you can get past that aspect, and rather appreciate the show's camp value, you're sure to enjoy this unique and highly original horror series. It's a classic in my book.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Serling series has informed cult following
sskelton26 April 2002
Often lost in the shadow of Rod Serling's first series, "The Twilight Zone," "Night Gallery" was a fascinating experiment in the anthology format. Instead of one story per episode, the hour was splintered into two, three, or four different stories of varying length. Some were quite brief, lasting no more than a minute; others lasted over 40 minutes. The quality often varied, too. A few of the little vignettes were quite bad. Some stories were quite good. And on more than a few occasions, this little mini-film festival on Wednesday nights produced segments that were as good as anything else on TV at the time. Classic episodes included "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar," "Pickman's Model" (both nominated for Emmys), "The Caterpillar," "Class of '99," "Green Fingers," "The Messiah on Mott Street," "The Sins of the Fathers," "The Doll," "Cool Air," "Silent Snow, Secret Snow," "A Question of Fear," "The Little Black Bag," and "The Dead Man." Because one of these classics could often be followed or preceded by a story of lesser quality, the series got a reputation for being wildly uneven. It was universally lambasted during its network run by near-sighted critics who were thrown off by its inconsistency, and missed the quality elements: intelligent, stylish writing by Serling and others, top-notch production values (particularly in cinematography and music), and innovative directorial touches. For its syndication run, the series segments were butchered to fit into a half-hour time slot, some losing half their length in the editing, and is a travesty, a mere shadow of its former self. Episodes of a boring ESP potboiler, "The Sixth Sense," were annexed into the syndie package with terrible results. Stick to the uncut version.
32 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I tune in whenever I can
jwalsh677 July 2001
There is something that sets Night Gallery apart from all other sci-fi/thriller TV shows. An ethereal element of mystique lurks within every episode that provides for unique entertainment. Narrated by Rod Serling, Night Gallery explores the supernatural from the context of an abstract painting--a different painting each episode. When narrating his previous series, The Twilight Zone, Serling generally manifested an air of superiority to the plot--like he had it in the palm of his hand and could control it. In Night Gallery, however, he relinquishes such control and becomes more a PART of the madness; as if the gallery is controlling HIM (it is also refreshing to finally view him in color). Night Gallery episodes are NOT concluded with a Serling anecdotal summary; instead, a shocking punch is usually delivered that the viewer is left to unravel without assistance.

The directing and editing are top notch. Scenes cascade in a swift and somewhat ambiguous fashion, and camera tricks are cleverly exploited to hold our attention--proving that today's computer graphics are not essential to exact viewer interest. Simple story lines are translated into convoluted journeys of intrigue with music and sound effects akin only to The Exorcist.

Some memorable episodes include Sally Field playing a woman with multiple personalities (this was before she played Cybil, mind you); an ostracized young girl who befriends a seaweed monster; a diner jukebox that hauntingly plays only one song; a man who has an earwig planted in his ear that creeps through his brain (and lays eggs!); and a young Clint Howard (Ron's kid brother) playing a child prodigy who foresees mankind's treacherous fate.

Of course, there are those little, campy vignettes thrown in for fun, most of which are mildly amusing. Overall, this is an exhibit you will not want to bypass!
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
a fine show with something for everyone
dtucker8610 October 2003
I vaguely remember watching this show when I was a small child when it was a regular series. I watched it in syndication when I was an adolescent and have watched it as an adult on the Sci-Fi channel, so I guess that you could say I have had a chance to view Night Gallery from three very different perspectives. Rod Serling was a true genius who was often called television's "first angry man". What I mean is that he wrote scripts for tv that dealt with real social issues and were not meant as fluff entertainment. He wanted to send out a message with the stories that he wrote. Serling wrote such classic screenplays as Requium For A Heavywieght and Patterns. He probably would not have liked it that he was best remembered for The Twilight Zone! Night Gallery was the last series he hosted before his untimely death in 1975. Each episode had about three or four stories. Of course they didn't hit the target with all of them, but they still had a good batting average! Some of the episodes were disturbing and terrifying and some were just meant to be merely humerous. I remember one with Leslie Nielsen as the Phantom of the Opera (keep in mind this was before the Naked Gun and Police Squad when he was a dramatic actor). The girl unmasked him and he unmasked her and found she was as deformed as he was! They had another episode that I clearly remember about a time traveler who was a survivor of the Titanic who was picked up by the Lusitania who was then rescued by the Andrea Doria! The one that I remember the most, the one that chilled me was the one about a boy who could see the future and then described a horrifying vision where the sun would explode (a nova) and would incinerate the earth! The fun part of this show was the high quality of the guest stars that they had everyone from Burgess Meredith to Ozzie and Harriet Nelson to Leonard Nimoy. Gary Collins was Night Gallery's most frequent guest star, he played a parapsychologist named Doctor Rhode's who investigated all kinds of odd cases and his character was so popular that he even got his own series. I always enjoyed every episode that Mister Collins was in. People don't realize this, but the original Night Gallery movie in 1969, the series pilot was one of the first television movies ever made! In fact, one of the directors who did one of the stories was a young man named Steven Spielburg! The story I most remember from the pilot was one with Richard Kiley as a Nazi War Criminal who meets a truly just and horrifying end. A man who put too many Christs on crosses for any God to give him forgiveness! Rod Serling fought in World War II as a paratrooper and was severely wounded. His wife said in an interview that he never stopped having nightmares about the war and many of the stories he wrote for the Twilight Zone and Night Gallery deal with the horrors of war. Rod Serling was a true genius who wrote stories that entertained us and made us think at the same time.
37 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
PORTRAITS IN SHEER TERROR AND IRONY
tom sawyer10 April 2002
The Night Gallery was Rod Serling introducing tales of terror and irony much like he did for the Twilight Zone. While the TZ dealt more with Sci-Fi, Night Gallery dealt with the macabe. Damn, was it good and scary. The stories that stood out in my mind were the Tune In Dan's Cafe, Green Fingers and They're Aren't Anymore McBanes. Talk about scary. I remember watching the McBanes episode and it scared the daylights out of me and my mother who was watching it with me. The TUne in Dan's Cafe is very haunting. To me this is one of the best anthology shows ever, ranking up there with the Outer Limits(the original) Tales From the Darkside, One Step Beyond, and the great Twilight Zone. I love the fact that the Sci-Fi channel runs Twilight Zone episodes back to back in front of the older Outer Limits episodes. Now if only it would add the Night Gallery all would be perfect in the afternoon. The Night Gallery is classic horror anthologies at their best. Great acting, great stories, scary as hell. Pass the popcorn and get ready for some real chills. way to go Rod Serling another classic show.
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It's creepy and it's kooky, some are mysterious and ooky...
numberone_126 April 2001
For those who enjoy psychological thrillers and who have never seen "Night Gallery" - find them and watch them. This show was on television when I was only six, yet I can still remember how utterly spooky, horrifying and terrorizing some of the vignettes were. Granted, not all of them were great (some were a bit silly), but there were ones that I would still find chilling today. Some gems include Joan Crawford and Tom Bosley in one story about eyes, Roddy McDowall as a spoiled heir to a large fortune, and Agnes Moorehead, Rachel Roberts and Grayson Hall with the shadows on the wall. I could go on and on...you can also find information about the series at www.nightgallery.net. And -- some of the paintings done for the vignettes are downright creepy! All in all a great series, and it's a shame it didn't last longer.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Paintings from a macabre zone.
yenlo27 January 2000
Rod Serlings follow up to Twilight Zone. This series originally began as a four in one alternating with three other shows and each would get one airing per month. Night Gallery was easily the best and became a weekly. While Twilight Zone dealt with Science Fiction Gallery dealt on the macabre horror side. Rod as host would introduce each story via a painting.

A few (mostly the short ones) had tongue in cheek humor. The others could be very spooky. The theme music was equally eerie. The show now airs on the Sci-Fi channel. Having watched it when it originally aired it seems that the episodes are edited here and there. Later episodes were added from another series entitled The Sixth Sense and they were not nearly as good as the Serling ones.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Good Evening folks.....
au_law20015 January 2005
Rod Serling made a name for himself with his stunning series the Twilight Zone, after it ended, he came up with this follow up series. It was more of horror and supernatural than of sci-fi like the Twilight Zone was, but it still is a masterpiece, but there were a few funny moments, like the ones with vampires or Dracula. But the rest were either shocking, surprising or spooky! My favorite is the one about the undertaker who acts kind, and another is the one about the drug addict who goes to Hell. These stories also have a point or sometimes a lesson in it, or shows some dark karma, or in other words, it shows bad people getting a dark comeuppance. It's like a serious version of Tales From The Crypt, or perhaps maybe a forerunner to it. Recommended to all Twilight Zone fans, or fans of horror. Excellent work Mr. Serling!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great Series!
Movie Nuttball25 February 2005
The Night Gallery was a great series. It had many great guest stars including Al Lewis, Vincent Price, John Carradine, Diane Keaton, Burgess Meredith, Chill Wills, Tom Bosley, John Astin, Phyllis Diller, Henry Silva, Diane Baker, John Randolph, Cesar Romero, Carl Reiner, and many, many more! The acting by all of these actors is very good. The dialog was really good in this series. The shorts were filmed very good. The music is good. Rod Serling hosted the show well. The short films are quite interesting and they really keeps you going. Most of them are spooky! This is a very good and thrilling series! Some of My favorites is Professor Peabody's Last Lecture, The Nature of the Enemy, and A Matter of Semantics to name a few. If you like classic shows like The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, The Nightstalker, and others, and classic Horror, Crime, Thrillers, Dramas, and interesting films then I strongly recommend you to go over to Amazon.com and buy the complete first season on DVD that is also includes the pilot as well today!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Scared the dickens out of me!
Lo-Baby5 April 2002
I first remember seeing Night Gallery as an adolescent when it was in reruns. It scared the cr*p out of me then, and looking back on this series as an adult, it's still pretty darned scary. To me, Night Gallery was definitely more thriller than anything. Rod Serling came from the same type of "old school" that Alfred Hitchcock did - don't show your audience the blood and gore, show them everyday folks in sometimes supernatural, often terrifying situations, and then wait for your audience's blood pressure to rise on its own. This series used to make me scared for the characters and I would dread on their behalf what was going to happen next.

There aren't many episodes I remember vividly, but most of them did seem to follow a pattern - that of the average person in a wholly non-average situation. I remember one episode about a disc jockey who was pulling an overnight shift. When he tried to play certain musical selections, they never quite sounded like they were supposed to. All the music sounded like the creepy Night Gallery-type theme music. (The music and the colors in the paintings in the opening sequences of this series was enough to make me run for cover.) I believe the disc jockey had done something nasty to someone, and this was some sort of supernatural cosmic retribution. Made me want to straighten up and fly right!

**Spoiler Alert**

The episode I remember most clearly was one with Cornel Wilde taking a turn as Dr. John Fletcher in the episode "Deliveries in the Rear." He played a doctor in the late 1800s-early 1900s who paid some pretty scummy guys to rob graves and obtain bodies for him to perform research. Of course, he needed the bodies to be as fresh as possible. Because of this, the two grave-robbers actually started killing people so the bodies would be fresh. In typical Serling fashion, the guys brought in a pretty (but dead) woman one night...LO AND BEHOLD it was Dr. Fletcher's girlfriend. There's that pesky supernatural cosmic retribution once again.

All in all, even though it frightened me half to death, I highly recommend catching this series if you can. I'd love to see TVLand or Sci-Fi start airing this one again. If nothing else for the 70s kitsch value alone. Not to mention seeing some formerly big-time stars from a long time back and probably some up-and comers, too. ENJOY!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Who cares how dated they are???? SPOILERS POSSIBLE.. proceed with caution.
dfarhie-128 November 2004
I recently purchased the DVD set of Season One with bonus stories. The structure of the navigation is a bit weird, the episodes are arranged as they were in the original series, one or two or possibly three in one show. They're Tearing Down Riley's Bar is a poignant William Windom vignette that really tore my heart out watching it for the first time on the DVD (I don't remember it on TV at all).

Changes and strange happenings....

The theme song has been altered from the original theme by adding emphasis on a different note in the melody, weird.

In this era of "add stuff to previous movies" made famous by the infamous addition of actors not previously appearing in a movie, such as Lucas with the new re-do of Episode 6 of Star Wars placing Hayden Christesen in the "ghost spirit" shot at the end of Return of the Jedi, Spielberg has now done the same thing, only more subtly. In the Joan Crawford (Claudia Menlow) piece about the millionaire dowager in the pilot who buys some poor saps' eyes for a few minutes of sight, listen carefully to the music box playing early on in the scenes. You will recognize a JAWS theme. I didn't know that John Williams even did soundtracks back when the pilot for Night Gallery was conceived. I will have to see if his name appears in any of the credits. Is the music box a Williams theme, or is it a plant to tease Spielberg fanatics, who knows..

I for one found the DVD series lacking in episodes I remember, such as "The Boy Who Could Predict Earthquakes" with Clint Howard, or "Camera Obscura" or an episode I can't recall the name of, about a man who lives in his apartment near the air conditioner, because he is DEAD and can only stay alive if he is cold. There's a power blackout and he "melts/dies". Also, the "quickies" aren't there either. I guess they were started in later seasons.

I recommend the bonus disc for the episode with Carl Reiner Professor Peabody's Last Lecture, about a sarcastic self agrandizing academic who taunts the fates by making fun of ancient gods and goddesses. It gave me a chuckle to see that episode once again.

So, as Osmond Portifoy said.. "I'll leave a light on".

Good Evening.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Rod Serling's final bow
jc1305us28 May 2008
Often overlooked by the phenomenal success and pop culture landmark that Twilight Zone was and is, "Rod Serling's Night Gallery" was a much different show that never really lived up to it's potential. Viewed as three separate entities, i believe my thoughts will make more sense.

After the cancellation of "TZ" Serling wanted to get back into television with another show, but this time, he had a different idea. "Rod Serling's Wax Museum" was his idea, and it consisted of episodes introduced by Serling, who, as the curator of a wax museum, would introduce the evening's stories accompanied by a wax figure relating to the tale. While this concept was never realized, the idea was the starting point for Night Gallery. In 1969, Serling presented "Night Gallery", a made for TV movie that included three stories, each introduced by a different painting. "The Cemetery" , "Eyes" and "The Escape Route". Receiving high ratings and critical praise, the show was greenlighted by Universal as a rotating series for the 1970-1971 TV season.

The first season of "Rod Serling's Night Gallery", as it was now known, featured paintings revealed for each story, which now included several stories within the hour. As an anthology series, quality varied as different directors, and different script writers worked on different stories. However, "The Dead Man", "The House" "The Doll" and "They're Tearing Down Tim Reilley's Bar" which was nominated for a prime time emmy, stood out among the truncated first season.

Serling, who served as the on screen host of the show and it's public face, was back. However, it wouldn't last long. Producer Jack Laird, brought on board for the first season was the de facto boss. All script and editorial decisions were his. Serling, weary of the grind of weekly TV, had decided to take a smaller role in the day to day affairs of the show, assuming that as creator and host, he would be consulted on scripts, and other decisions, he was in for a rude awakening.

Beginning in the second, and best season, Night Gallery really got it's legs. The best of the series, in my opinion, are to be found here. Along with adaptations of great short fiction stories, such as "Cool Air", "Camera Obscura", "The Caterpillar", "Silent Snow Secret Snow", "A Death in the Family", "Pickman's Model", and many others, were excellent Serling originals, such as "Lindemann's Catch", "Deliveries in the Rear", and "Class of '99". One of the reasons is the great work of director Jeannot Szwarc, and cinematographer Lionel Lindon. However, strains were appearing between Serling and producer Laird, over the inclusion of short, comic viginettes, intended to round out the hour. Probably the most controversial aspect of this wonderful show.

For the third and final 1972-1973 season, short sighted executives at Universal mandated that NG be cut to 30 minute episodes, with more emphasis on American fiction, as they deemed adaptations of British fiction, over the head of the American audience. Despite several fine episodes, including the chilling "The Other Way Out", Rod Serling's Night Gallery was cancelled. In all 98 story segements, which ranged from 3-30 minutes a piece were filmed. In order to increase profits from the show, Universal butchered the series to fit into 30 minute segements for the syndication package, thereby gutting the souls of these wonderful stories. To add insult to injury, another series "The Sixth Sense", an ESP themed bomb, was grafted on to Night Gallery in the syndication package further destroying NG's reputation. Serling, contractually bound, introduced the Sixth Sense episodes, as if they were Night Gallery.

AFter the cancellation Serling stayed busy, but ultimately passed away in 1975, after surgery to correct a heart defect. He remained upset about the treatment he received by Universal and Laird until he passed away.

Years later, after viewing Night Gallery in it's original format, we can see that there were, for all of it's warts, flashes of brilliance from this series. Macabre, eerie, sometimes frighteneing, and even humorous stories were all to be found, with enough differences to make them very fresh, and enough similarities to make them classics. If you're a fan of well told stories, then Night Gallery is for you.
Rod Serling's Wings
mothfodder14 December 2006
We all know who Paul McCartney is. He was one of the leaders of the biggest, best bands in history, The Beatles. And we all know - or most of us know - who Rod Serling is. He was the host, and writer and creator of one of the greatest television shows in history, The Twilight Zone. After McCartney left The Beatles he formed a band called Wings. This band was, for the most part, just all right. The music wasn't too bad. It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. It was good, if you were in the mood for it. You could hear some of The Beatles' aura in Wings - especially because of the vocals. And now to the point... Listening to Wings with the Beatles in mind is the same feeling you get when watching Night Gallery with The Twilight Zone in mind. It's not bad. Feels the same on occasion, and Rod's creativity, as well as his hosting presence, is... present. But there's something missing. Perhaps it's the originality, or the style. Perhaps it's because of the color of the Gallery episodes, that shed too much light on a world that's better off bleak and mysterious. Something about Zone's black & white made it that much more classically eerie. But there are a few pretty good (above average) episodes of Night Gallery, especially in the first season. The first three of four episodes in the pilot are entertaining, one directed by Steven Spielberg featuring the iconic Joan Crawford as a blind woman who wants her sight back. Another with Roddy McDowell as a greedy heir being haunted by a changing portrait of a cemetery outside his mansion. But some other episodes get lost in their own sense of strangeness. They just don't pan out in the end. And the main thing that separates Gallery from Zone is the climax. There is nothing better than a those great Zone endings. They stop right as the character is entering his or her own doom that they, usually, brought upon themselves. But Gallery, in going that step further and often resolving the dilemmas (either the main character getting too punished, or being completely pardoned somehow), in doing so goes a bit too far, and the pay off isn't there. We get a bit too much information. Often the Gallery episodes run about five minutes longer than they should. But, all in all, The Night Gallery is enjoyable. Like Zone it makes good of some great actors, sometimes making great of some good actors, and there is plenty of creativity to go around. You might be let down now and again, but rarely will you not be entertained. After all, that's what it's about - entertainment.
After The Twilight Zone: The Night Gallery
FloatingOpera723 October 2006
The Night Gallery (1970-1973): Starring Rod Serling, John Astin, Michael Laird, Larry Watson, Joanna Pettet, Matt Pelto, Alan Napier, Jack Laird, Geraldine Page, John J. Fox, Burgess Meredith, Jeff Corey, Jeanette Nolan, James Sikking, Cathleen Cordell, Arthur Malet, Josehph Campanella, Jason Wingreen, Albert Popwell, Louise Sorel, Roger E. Mosley, Raymond Massey, Susan Strasberg, Leif Ericson, John Williams, William Windom, Terence Pushman, James Farentino, Ivor Francis, Bill Quinn, Ross Martin, Lindsay Wagner, Charles Davis, Leslie Nielsen, Patricia Donahue, Victor Bruno, Susanna Darrow, James Metropole, Cameron Mitchell, Stuart Whitman.....Directors Leonard Nimoy, Edward M. Abroms, Allen Baron, Jeannot Szwarc, Boris Sagal, Barry Shear, Screenplay/Writing Credits Rod Sterling and Jack Laird.

"A nightmare frozen in time"............

TV writer Rod Serling was the creative force behind the popular supernatural/horror series "The Twilight Zone" in the 1960's, a series of half hour episodes in which the bizarre, frightening and unnatural filled TV screens across America to critical acclaim. After "Twilight Zone" was canceled, Rod Serling's "The Night Gallery" came to television from 1970 to 1973. It was hosted by Rod Serling himself, a bit older than he looked when he hosted "Twilight Zone" as he walked us through an art gallery replete with strange, demonic often very intimidating artwork. Each work of art told a story which was the focus of each half-hour episode. The series did very well and it was, if anything, a more intense follow-up to "Twilight Zone". Because it was the early 70's, the episodes of Night Gallery were a tad more uncensored and graphic. It was on late night on television so that younger viewers would not be exposed to it. Various directors worked on the series, among them Leonard Nimoy, Spock from Star Trek and European-bornJeannot Szwarc who would later direct the 1980 romantic time-travel film "Somewhere In Time" starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. Several TV and film actors guest starred during the run of the series. They included Vincent Price (himself a horror film figure), Al Lewis (Grandpa Dracula from "The Munsters"), John Astin (Gomez from "The Addams Family") Phyllis Diller, Elsa Lanchester, Carl Reiner, Burgess Meredith, a young Diane Keaton, Cesar Romero (The Joker from "Batman") Tom Bosley (from Happy Days) and Zsa Zsa Gabor. Clearly, this series enticed a number of celebrities at the time who probably enjoyed watching this scary series themselves.

While Night Gallery's frightening aspects are considerably tame and even cheap by today's digital age, it can be haunting and scary in its own light. Rather than focusing on graphic violence, blood and gore, Night Gallery's stories were very well-written, chilling both psychologically and emotionally and often coming off like the sort of thing that Stephen King was possibly inspired by. But it is clearly a series modeled after Alfred Hitchock Presents. Rod Sterling himself called himself a lesser, thinner Hitchcock. All of the episodes contain great things one can spend hours talking about. Here are some of my favorites: "The Painted Mirror": Zsa Zsa Gabor plays a bitchy heiress who wishes to put an elderly antique shop owner out of business. A strange mirror, painted over in black, fades to reveal a pre-historic dinosaur world dimension. It is Zsa Zsa Gabor's character who is punished by being trapped in that world. A similar story has a greedy corporate businessman/fraud who is punished by being trapped in a dimension of soulless zombies. In the episode entitled "Green Fingers" Elsa Lanchester stars as an elderly gardener who owns a home in the path of freeway construction. The man behind the project hires a hit man to kill her but she gets her revenge by literally "planting" her own fingers and then coming back from the dead. Other episodes included demons, ghosts, the living dead, vampires and aliens from outer space. Some episodes were too bizarre and ambiguous to fully be understood. The episode directed by Jeannot Szwarc (Somewhere In Time) dealt with a medical bag from the future that contained the cure to all known diseases (including cancer) is in the hands of a time traveler but they, that is people from the past, don't believe his story and they throw away the bag. Often, short stories by noted horror genre authors such as H.P. Lovecraft were included such as the well-done "Pickman's Model" about a 19th century artist whose "monster" subject for one particularly gruesome painting turns out to be based on a real monster who inhabits his home. This was an excellent series, full of mystery, intrigue, suspense, danger and surrealism. For me, it surpassed "The Twilight Zone" which, despite being a classic, was sometimes too dull and talky. For those of you who are interested in this series, it is now available on DVD in its entirety (four seasons).
I loved Night Gallery
hedgehogsmeow22 March 2004
I loved Night Gallery,it was a wonderful show.I saw it before I saw Twilight Zone and I loved them both.My favorite episodes were the ones about the Shadows on the wall after the people in the house died and the clock stopped,The Lone Survivor about the man who goes from shipwreck to shipwreck,the one about the doll with the teeth and the one about the man who "Collected" famous people who had disappeared.The show was definitely underrated and even though they only used his name not his talent was a tribute to Rod Serling.I did recognize the comment about "Them" laying eggs and it was a chilling episode and still makes my head itch thinking about it.
Loved it!
Douglas_Holmes4 July 2002
I used to plan my evenings so that I'd have time set-aside for this. My favorite episodes were "There Aren't Any More McBains," "The Sin Eater," "The Little Black Bag," "Green Fingers" and "Camera Obscura." Why isn't someone moving to put the original stories on DVD?!
Night Gallery and Sixth Sense
rook0131 May 2002
Night Gallery was an uneven series. Some episodes were memorable such as the Robot Aids that had stars like Cloris Leachman and Broderick Crawford. Others were quite forgettable. As far as the Sixth Sense series, other than the pilot about a house that held secrets about a murder that was committed years earlier (great Pit and the Pendulum visual), the series was awful. It made me angry at the time because the pilot appeared good but the other episodes that followed were so boring that the pilot is all I remember of the series.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A series with many gems!
wickedcanine21 January 2001
One of the outstanding episodes of Night Gallery was "The Trunk", starring Stuart Whitman. I was nine years old when I was terrified by this episode. Unfortunately I can't remember the plot, except for it featuring a couple who move into an old house that has an abandoned trunk in the attic.

Another episode called "The Diary" featured Patty Duke as a woman with a diary that predicted events of the following day. She ends up locked up in a mental hospital because nobody believes her. Terrific fun awaiting re-discovery!
* Another Great Movie & Series
Estelle Edwards4 November 2005
*(Riverhead Free Library) This is another series that didn't lose the spirit of Rod Serling, although Rod was eventually separated from any creative control, sad to say. However, this is another donation I made to the library, but I had to go through different channels, so to speak, to get the pilot movie with the three stories. When I ordered the series from Columbia House, they didn't have the pilot where a very young Spielberg directed Joan Crawford in the story of a rich, cruel woman who wanted to see again at any cost. Great stuff! This is where a lot of you can be instrumental in supporting your library. Track down those hard-to-find classic TV gems and donate them so future generations can see what good television was all about! Incidentally, the library also has 'Twilight Zone' episodes on hand.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Wholesome Frightening Television Program
dlp15 November 2001
I liked the TV program Night Gallery. In the opening credits, it would have been good, if they used the same theme and picture, of the long dark hallway, with doors. Just like the movie version in 1969. It gives you a feeling, that the show is suspenseful and full of mystery. My favorite episode was "The Waiting Room." This was all about Cowboy's. The first time I saw this I was in fourth grade. The kids at school, the next day talked all about it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Does anybody remember
StinkyPete5 May 2004
I swear this was an episode of NIGHT GALLERY.

A young boy is sick in bed with some horrible disease. Every night his father comes home and together they build a model airplane. Meanwhile, the boy is visited during the day by another man who turns out to be the devil. The devil infects the boy's mind and convinces him to destroy the recently finished plane.

I remember watching this as a child and being terrified. I have looked in the NIGHT GALLERY Book, but it doesn't seem to be there.Does anybody else remember this, and if so, from where?

Thanks for any help.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Night Gallery- they don't make T.V. shows like this anymore
michaelasiclari10 March 2013
I was 10 years old when this show debuted on T.V. back in 1970. I remember going to school the next day, and talking about the previous night's episode with my classmates. I would also draw images from the show while daydreaming in class; thats how much of an impact it had on me in those days! There is no doubt that Rod Serling was a genius and this anthology series shows why. My favorite episodes include- Pickmans Model, Cool Air, Messiah of Mott Street and Tell David. It was one of those fond memories from my childhood, and I am lucky enough to have found the first two season's on DVD. I also bought the companion book which is invaluable to any fan of the show. One of the great aspects of Night Gallery , is the chance to see not only veteran stars, but up and coming ones as well. Legendary director Steven Spielberg cut his teeth with the original T.V. pilot as well as a few episodes of the series. A true classic of the medium.
Hawaiian Luau cannibalism story
gothick421 November 2004
This is for the person who inquired about a cannibalism story involving Voodoo and a Hawaiian luau. This was not an episode of Night Gallery; it was one of the stories in the Amicus movie Tales that Witness Madness, which came out around the same time as Night Gallery was on (early Seventies).

The Voodoo/cannibalism episode starred Kim Novak as the mother and Mary Tam (the first Romana on Dr. Who) as her daughter. The episode seemed to have been filmed missing the climactic twist ending. To put it mildly, the whole thing seemed to be a mistake. Still, it's fun to watch Kim Novak essaying an affected performance style that makes one wonder whether she was directed to play the role as a retired female drag queen!
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
HELP does anyone remember this episode?
lumbergh4 September 2004
Can anybody help me with this one please? I tried googling this and come up with nothing. It may have been an episode of Night Gallery because I remember seeing it late at night when I was a kid. It still haunts me today and I want to know if I was dreaming the whole thing. It was an episode where a woman has a lover and her daughter falls for him and the daughter and him go to a motel to fool around. He ends up killing the daughter and the next scene is a hawaiin type luau, but it is more of a ceremony. The boyfriend serves the mother some meat he has grilled, but it is actually pieces of the daughter. If you remember this or know where I can find info about it on the web please link it. Nobody seems to remember this but me. Thanks