If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969) Poster

A fun film filled with a lot of great character actors
allenblank31 May 2003
I was nine when I first saw this film, when it first came out, and loved it ever since. Funny even with it's vintage 60's songs, and an appearance of pop star Donavan, it hasn't dated at all. In fact it's more like a time capsule of it's time, which was 1969.

The film is about a bunch of Americans taking a european tour is ten days. We have a large assortment of characters played by some expert character actors. There's the WWII veteran played by Michael (My Big Fat Greek Wedding) Constantine who has taking the tour because it goes to the same places he went to in the army. Then there is the typical ugly American (Murray Hamilton) who was forced to come on this tour by his wife(Peggy Cass), he hates every minute of it till Rome where.. no you got to see it for yourself. There is a poor husband, Norman (Mr. Roper) Fell who gets separated from his wife (Reva Rose) when she gets on the wrong tour bus and tries to find a way to get her back. Then there is Miss Sam (Suzanne Pleshette) who has decided to take a vacation from her fiancé, to get her head straight, but then becomes the object of tour guide Charlie(Ian McShane)'s advances. Also wonderful in the film is Sandy Baron, Mildred Natwick, Pamila Britton, Marty Ingles, and Aubrey Morris.

It was directed by Mel Stuart who followed this up with the classic, "Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Company". I ended up seeing this film three times in the theaters.It gets better with every viewing.
18 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wallace Arnold tours meets 'Its a MAD MAD MAD World'
Edu-1628 April 2003
Well when I last saw this one I was wearing Green check trousers and an Orange nylon jumper. Got to be at least 25 years. Ouch. But this one has worn rather better than me.

From memory I was expecting a sort of American Carry On movie - and I suppose this isn't a bad comparison. But the jokes are still funny - quite sharp infact at times. The acting isn't too OTT - no Kenneth Williams mugging here - and the scenery of an as yet unspoilt Europe was a nice reminder of what Europe used to be like.

Yes - the plot is pretty 'souffle' (light, sags in the middle) - but Ian McShane holds it together. Infact , both me and the wife were at a loss as to why I.M. never made it mega-big. He had a lot going for him back then, and he's aged well.

Worth a watch - should bring back some memories for any who first got to know Europe on a coach tour (Wallace Arnold as in my case).
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie has to come out on DVD!
jemdoll16 March 2005
Even though I was born a couple of decades after this movie was released, I wanted to watch it when it played on TV because it was given a perfect 5/5 rating by my local newspaper's TV listings. When I tuned in, I was even more excited when I found out that it was a David Wolper and Mel Stuart collaboration because I really loved 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.' It's a shame that 'If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium' is not available on DVD. Even though it was made about 30 years ago, the misadventures of the ensemble cast are as funny as ever. The fine balance between the witty humor and acerbic banter in this movie is something that is rare in movies today. The only movies that come close are a few of Wes Anderson's (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic), but instead of being faux retro, 'If It's Tuesday This Must Be Belgium' really is retro. It shows all of Europe's fabled landmarks in the tongue-and-cheek manner that you can't get from any movie unless it really was made in 1969. I liked the part when the group was at a cheese market in Amsterdam and the tour guide says, "There's an auction of gouda cheeses and edam cheeses. And pretty good-a edam cheeses they are." That is like so corny it's funny. After watching this movie, I actually did want to take a European bus tour! But the best thing about this movie is its great cast, particularly the beautiful Suzanne Pleshette and the devilishly handsome Ian McShane.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
European Travel before the EU and the euro,
dglink8 June 2008
While not a laugh-out-loud comedy, "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" is a humorous, affectionate take on group travel that will resonate with anyone who has been on a European bus tour. Ian McShane is the British guide for World Wind Tours Number 225, which will sweep through nine countries in eighteen days. McShane's American tourists include such comedic talents as Norman Fell, Marty Ingels, Reva Rose, Peggy Cass, Pamela Britton, and Sandy Baron. Although not well known for comedy, Murray Hamilton, Michael Constantine, and Mildred Natwick are spot-on funny as well and fill out the bus-load of stereotypes. Murray Hamilton stands out as the congenital cynic who was dragged away from his comfy couch for the trip. Hamilton's expressions and delivery capture the feelings of every male who has submitted to his wife's desire for a cultural experience in a foreign land.

The photography by Vilis Lapenieks captures the beauty of a Europe that flits by faster than the group can either absorb or appreciate. Strangely enough, only the Marty Ingels character, who is obsessed with photographing beautiful women to inspire jealousy among his male friends back home, appears to carry a camera. Predictably, a romantic liaison develops between tourist Suzanne Pleshette, who is as lovely as ever, and guide McShane. The Pleshette-McShane relationship, however, shines in contrast to the bloodless attraction between teens Hilary Thompson and Luke Halpin, who had better chemistry with dolphins. However, when the movie hits its target, it is engaging and oddly nostalgic, which the wistful title tune by Donovan underscores. For many, a quick glimpse of European wonders is a once in a lifetime experience whose memories must endure, and McShane emphasizes to Pleshette that tourists like her get an enormous return for their money.

Unfortunately, younger viewers may not react to the satire and sharp observations, because the film is firmly set in the 1960's. Veterans of World War II are increasingly rare and few make trips back to the battlefields. Hotels no longer monogram their towels for sticky fingered guests. Carnaby Street is no longer a mecca for mod fashion, and inoculations are unnecessary for European trips. However, anyone who has crossed the pond will recognize that Rome will never be a place to rent a car, American franchises abound in European cities, and yodeling is still an acquired taste. "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" is a time capsule for those who want to relive or catch a glimpse of European travel before the EU, the euro, and the proliferation of the English language homogenized the continent and stole some of the fun away. With a bit of nostalgia, some talented comedians, and director Mel Stuart's pacing, which is nearly as fast as the tour bus, the film is gentle fun and above average entertainment.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific ensemble of character actors from the mid 1960's
GJF1189 November 1998
This film was actually an outgrowth from a story on the TV show "60 Minutes" which followed a high-speed tour through tourist highlights in Europe. The humor holds up very well, and the film now provides a wonderful chance to see some marvelous character actors from the mid-1960's back when they were still in their prime.
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is it just so good?
charlesfrappier3 November 2003
I have no idea. But I know that I first saw that movie as a child, shortly after it came out, and never stopped loving it. I think the best word to describe the entire film is "colorful". The cast is, the characters are, the cinematography is, the script is. I bought a VHS copy a few years back and every 6 months or so, I just have to pop it in, jump into bed with my wife and a bowl of popcorn and enjoy it again. The movie hasn't aged well at all but as another reviewer said, it's a pure time capsule of 1969 and that in itself is a great positive attribute.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A character actors showcase.
yenlo17 August 1999
What makes this 1969 movie so entertaining is the collection of character actors who are given an opportunity to showcase their talents. Lots of little stories about a group of American tourist who are essentially barnstorming their way through Europe on a tour bus make up the plot. Each one of them has some special experience in one of their many tour stops.

This is one of those movies that can be watched over and over and never gets old. It is doubtful that a film like this could be made now because there just doesn't seem to be the same kind of character actors today who could appear and deliver in small scenes like the performers in this movie do.
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
preppy-32 January 2004
Comedy about a group of Americans on a 18 day (I think) tour of Europe.

Unlike some previous posters, I've never been to Europe, so watching this film was not like reliving old memories. On its own, this was a very pleasant movie. The script is not bad and the jokes are pretty funny. There are some real groaners too, but the good ones far outweigh them. And the cast is full of talented character actors giving their all.

The movie basically concentrates on a romance between the tour guide Charlie Cartwright (Ian McShane) and tourist Samantha Perkins (Suzanne Pleshette). Usually romance subplots in comedies are the kiss of death, but this one works. McShane is very handsome and Pleshette incredibly beautiful; the dialogue is well-written; they both give good performances and they have great chemistry with each other. It also is a good excuse to show all the romantic places in Europe (this was shot on location). And the romance has a surprising, realistic ending.

Another point of interest is an 18 year old girl Shelly (Hilary Thompson) meeting a guy her age Bo (Luke Halpin). Their fashions are VERY 60s and the dialoge is SO old-fashioned...but it's all interesting. Also a visit to Canaby Street in London (which was the place to be in the late 60s) is visually fascinating. Also Murray Hamilton's one liners throughout the movie are frequently hilarious.

They visit London, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Venice and end in Rome. I saw a widescreen print on TV in strong color and the movie just looked beautiful. Sometime it was like seeing a travelogue but an INTERESTING travelogue.

It's not a great movie but a pleasant one. You could do worse! Recommended.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A classic and a gem!
Gunn28 May 2008
I've been waiting for years for this gem to come out on DVD. Now I have my own copy and I still love this film. One of the many reasons I love it is that the year it was released (1970) I took almost the same tour; we also hit Paris, France. It's quite accurate and I love the humor. You can't put American tourists in one category. They are as varied as all Americans are. Taking a speed tour of Europe can be exhausting, but oh, the memories. Most will return on a more relaxed itinerary. What a great cast too! I agreed with most ALL the above reviews save the negative ones. Pleshette's character was not snobby, nor a complainer. She was friendly to the other tourists. Although many complained, by the end of the film a good time was had by all the tourists. I would've enjoyed traveling with this cast of tourists, but not with anyone who thought them boorish. I highly recommend this terrific little classic to anyone, tourist or homebody.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium
gamon3 September 2006
A delightful film which I have seen so many times. Having lived in Belgium I especially liked the comment about The Grand Place in Brussels, 'What's so grand about this place, take off the gilt and what have you got? Tenements.'

The trip through London passing Woolworths etc and the comment 'It's just like home.'

Packing all those toilet rolls.

The comment by the Luxembourg waiter when asked for something the locals eat, 'the locals don't eat here, we only cater for our tourist friends.'

The collapse of the suitcase of the man who stole things from his hotels.

All in all a nice, funny, comfy film.

Ian McShane and Suzanne Pleshette's performances are just right.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See Europe with Suzanne & Co.
JLRMovieReviews28 April 2010
Suzanne Pleshette and an all-star cast go on a bus tour through Europe and try to squeeze in everything possible. Ian McShane is their tour guide, who obviously falls for Suzanne. In fact, any and all male viewers watching this will fall for Suzanne. She is at her most beautiful in this movie. If you've never seen this movie and you are a Suzanne Pleshette fan, then you need to see it. She is stunning.

Other passengers include Mildred Natwick, Marty Ingels, Michael Constantine, Sandy Baron, Peggy Cass, Murray Hamilton, Aubrey Morris, Norman Fell and Reva Rose, with a few others. Mildred Natwick, who's a great comedic actress, really had nothing to do, as well as a few wives.

But, most of the male characters are more defined and interesting: one of them stopping in Italy to see family and getting in an arranged marriage, of whom he tries thereon to avoid; one who was in WWII goes to see his old flame; one who's taking pictures of all the dames to claim conquests; one who wants a pair of Italian shoes and orders them from a Italian shoemaker (a particular highlight with director Vittorio de Sica as the shoemaker); one carries an empty suitcase to take something from each country back with him; and one husband loses his wife, when she gets on the wrong tour bus. From thereon, it was a running joke, "My wife would have loved this," referring to unusual sights, and another husband had a running joke about getting a refund and getting on the next plane back home. They even get a tour of a museum, with Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket from "Keeping Up Appearances") as their perky museum tour guide, wherein the husband responds to his wife, "So help me, if it takes forever, I will get you for this."

An added plus is the presence by celebrities, who are likely to pop up anytime, like Robert Vaughn, John Cassavetes, Ben Gazzara, Anita Ekberg, Joan Collins, and Virna Lisi. A great time with many laughs. So, if you can't travel because you're short of funds, then find this and you'll get the abridged version and see the sights with a fun crew and the beautiful Suzanne Pleshette.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gas, at times funny, but an awkward assemblage of jokes and a pale romance
secondtake20 May 2011
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)

A complete throwaway, and delightful, entertainment, with a charming Suzanne Pleshette as the sporadic leading lady in a romantic comedy set all over Europe. As the tour bus glides its way through the usual hot spots, in a typical (to this day) whirlwind race through major capitals from London to Rome, we see a playful satire of down home American types out of their element. It has funny moments, and some good comic actors, but it's almost thrown together and the story, whatever its short laughs, is pretty thin stuff.

But then, a lot of comedies have no desire to be great films, and don't even worry about plot so much as finding some way under heaven to get as many funny situations in an hour and a half as possible. Pleshette I think is meant to play a kind of simpler American Audrey Hepburn, and she really does have a spark and sincerity on screen that works. She falls in love with the tour guide, a sharply dressed British fellow who seems more 1963 than 1969 (picture John Lennon by 1969) played by Ian McShane, an appealing but easily caricatured type. The rest of the cast is only present for gags and one liners, including a few very cameo cameos that get a lot of attention but are hardly worth watching the film for.

The one exception, though, is a complete run through of Donovan singing "Lord of the Reedy River" in his faint precious tenor, alone on his guitar, surrounded by a room full of strung out kids dressed in perfect hippie clothes, a poster of Che on the wall. The movie makers knew this was a small coup, Donovan being at the time still a famous remnant of the early folk and folk rock movement (and a famous part of the Bob Dylan tour of England in 1965). A crude youtube version (with subtitles) is here: http://youtu.be/7M4D2B18cz8.

Another reviewer notes that this is a truly "retro" film and what they really mean is that this isn't retro at all but it's the real deal, 1969 in 1969, and is a kind of capsule of some characteristic aspects of the time. It's a frivolous version of those scenes, from the exaggerated Italian extended family in Venice to the dancing to Swiss traditional music, but it does show a common liberation of the time, including a painfully sexist amateur photographer who photographs girls in miniskirts in each and every country as a kind of countdown. Of course, the director makes the movie equally sexist in the process, gawking at each of the models (victims?) as it goes. Harmless fun for some, cheesy demeaning distraction for others, and typical of many 1960s movies either way.

Overall it's fun and funny and a joyful film, rather upbeat in more ways than just the humor. It's not New Hollywood, there is no socially cutting edge here, and no filming innovations (aside from some playful fast edits). But it tours the viewer through some wonderful, if well known, parts of Western Europe and has some laughs. And it has a beautifully unexpected ending, very poignant after all. Thank you Suzanne Pleshette.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And that's vacation for ya!
lee_eisenberg27 September 2005
Okay, we all know that when we go on vacation, some unexpected things are bound to happen (when I went to Russia, I didn't expect them to put the wrong dates on my visa, but they did). Well, nothing could be more whacked out than what the people in "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" experience on their European vacation! I sort of figured that the movie would have some of what it had - like the girl always sneaking off to be with friends - but the scene where Fred Ferguson (Murray Hamilton) has trouble communicating with the Italian cobbler was a surprise, as was the embarrassment suffered by Harve Blakely (Norman Fell).

One of the most interesting scenes has Donovan playing either himself or someone like himself, serenading the teenagers while their parents eat fondue. I also really liked the scene where Jack Harmon (Michael Constantine) is recounting his war story to his wife...well, I'll let you find out what happens. Also in the cast are Suzanne Pleshette, Ian McShane, Mildred Natwick, and some others. You'll love it.

I have to admit, this is the only movie in which I've seen Michael Constantine, aside from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Although I did see him on an episode of "The Flying Nun".
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie!
Isis-2120 July 2000
This movie is an endless source of laughter. Having taken a bus tour through Europe, I can relate to the chaos and odd collection of characters that the "straight woman," Samantha Perkins encounters on her trip.

I especially liked the Carnaby Street sequence and the Donovan solo in the youth hostel. Aubrey Morris' character's constant stealing and incredulous "Buy?" in response to an Italian street vendor are also very memorable. Watch for the Joan Collins walk-on, if you blink you'll miss it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Grand Collection Touring The Continent
bkoganbing28 September 2009
Though the nominal stars of If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium are Suzanne Pleshette and Ian McShane have a nice romantic fling in the film, the real entertainment value lies in the varied group of American tourists roaming the continent. If these are typical no wonder our image is so bad.

Ian McShane plays the guide for our two week tour and Pleshette is traveling to Europe alone to get away for a bit and ponder the marriage proposal from good old reliable Frank Latimore. It takes a while, but she falls for tour guide McShane. He's however not a person to settle down, it's why he has the job he does.

But the rest of the members of her tour are a grand collection of character players. Norman Fell loses wife Reva Rose to another tour of Japanese touring the continent where she makes the biggest contribution to American-Japanese friendship since MacArthur. Michael Constantine is interested in reliving the best time of his life which he spent in Europe during World War II. Marty Ingels with camera in hand is looking to get pictures of beautiful women from each country to show how he's scoring to his buddies.

Best of all is Murray Hamilton and Pamela Britton. She wants to go to Europe for herself and to get daughter Hilarie Thompson's mind off boys, this was the Sixties you know. Hamilton goes kicking and screaming. And Hilarie finds American student Luke Halpin abroad and he's better than what she left in the states.

Hamilton is great as the ultimate American Philistine. I could see coming out of his mouth a comment that William Frawley made on an I Love Lucy episode when the Ricardos and Mertzes are in Rome. Frawley was singularly unimpressed with the Colosseum, saying that Joe DiMaggio would hit 80 home runs a year in that band box of a ballpark. Stuff like that comes out of Hamilton regularly.

In fact he has a very funny encounter with an Italian shoemaker in Rome, played by Vittorio DeSica. Language problems and all each eventually gets his message across.

I hope in real life we don't get as many laughs as this crowd does. Less laughs would do wonders for our image.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Others have met (and deserved?) Charlie's fate.
nymousano26 May 2009
This movie is even more enjoyable for people who have been on a very similar trip, as I did in 1966, with Overland; however, it took five days from Belgium to Rome. I am a believer in happy endings, but Charlie ended up being treated the same way as he treated countless girls. I felt for him, because I also fell for a girl on the bus, but having previously also treated girls the same way, I paid the price, like Charlie. The characters in the movie reminded me of the characters on my bus. There is a very impressive list of character actors and guest stars which proves that the salaries then were far more reasonable than they are today. They don't make comedies like this anymore, unfortunately.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
so good that there oughtta be a revival
CaryNeil5 November 2000
I'm a child of the 90's (born in '85) so I missed out on a lot of things... I'm most upset about not being around when this movie first came out. Being hilarious... one of my favorites along with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Dead Poets Society (which might strike many of you as odd), it is no wonder that i'm taking the time to request it to all of you! Pure comedy genius! Ian McShane and Suzanne Pleshette (i have no gift for spelling) are an amazing team and though it does not have the characteristic hollywood ending, it's good enough for me!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A string of slightly amusing episodes with no dramatic spinal cord
vampiresan1 October 2002
This film has some good one liners and an interesting premise but is let down by a wafer thin main story line about the Lothario Tour Guide and the headstrong but beautiful American Tourist. ore of the other tourists and less of these two would have made for a much more entertaining film
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9 countries in 18 days
wilde_hare19 September 2005
In the 70's, I was on a tour similar to the one displayed in this movie. It seems to be a typical tour of the time. And it was a good way to see Europe, with no previous international experience. Once! Only Once! After that why would anyone ever travel like this again. This sort of travel is definitely a forced march and they deal with that in a humorous way.

It's truly a chance to only see what you've seen, once your photos come back from the drug store. And that is the implication of this movie.

It is also a great film to see a lot of cameos. It's a nice happy bit of fluff. With a chance to see the clothing of the 1960's. No deep msg. Just fun!

I wonder if people still travel like this???? :)
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pleasant and well-meaning, but not entirely successful
myriamlenys17 February 2019
The movie is a comedy about a group of American tourists on a whirlwind tour of about a dozen countries. It's not entirely bad : protagonists Ian McShane and Suzanne Pleshette give fine, charming performances, against a constantly changing background which includes some of the most beautiful and iconic sights in Europe. The general tone of the movie is pleasantly friendly and humane, too.

The movie is also wise enough to avoid a facile "Happy end", choosing to finish on a mature and bitter-sweet note.

However, for a comedy it's not particularly heavy on the jokes and gags. If you've got a lively sense of humor, it's entirely possible that you'll be able to think up five or six additional jokes for every quarter of an hour that passes - and some of these jokes might even be better. Compare and contrast, say, to a movie like "Allez France", which lines up a number of clichés about the French and English national character plus a number of clichés about London, and then starts riffing on them at breakneck speed.

As a Belgian I was amused to discover that the recommendations in the guide books circa 1960, 1970 ("Top ten things to see in Belgium") were pretty much the same that can be found today anno Domini 2019. Like one of my old teachers used to say : "If humanity destroys itself in a nuclear holocaust, only two things will remain : scorpions and tourist tips in guide books"...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mildly fun; watchable; has some good moments
shakspryn18 October 2017
Suzanne Pleshette stars and looks great here. Lots of good character actors, including Michael Constantine. One thing I notice, like other 1960's movies, this one doesn't mind basing gags on the concept of pretty young women and lecherous older guys who would like to chase them.

Taking the movie as a whole, it's worth watching once: for Suzanne, the European scenery, the sometimes funny scenes, and a few affecting ones. Murray Hamilton stands out as especially good in this movie. I bought this on DVD; to me, it is more of a catch-it-on-cable type movie, in terms of value.
Not your usual 60s ensemble comedy
AlsExGal22 July 2017
This was a big studio attempt to tap into the counter-culture movement. It attempts to be satiric, ironic, quirky, and off-beat. And it succeeds much of the time. The direction, editing, and sound can be witty, playing with the subject matter, situations, and setting. The comedy doesn't always work, the pace drags in places, and the characters get tedious at times riding their respective hobby-horses. But there's a lot of fun on the way, and a decent love story between antipathies, played by Suzanne Pleshette, and Ian McShane. You'll also see a lot of faces more familiar to you from TV of the era and succeeding decades. In the end, the movie does manage not to be bound by conventions of Hollywood storytelling. To know what I mean, you'll have to watch it all the way through yourself. Just know some of these 60s counter-culture films worked and some didn't. Those that didn't usually had one foot in the production code era and one foot in the cultural revolution that had not yet hit the suburbs yet, with a script seeming to be at war with itself. This is one film that worked and did not have these problems.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
9 countries in 18 days (in less than 100 minutes!), a comedy with lots of familiar faces
jacobs-greenwood2 July 2017
... but no movie stars in key roles, unless you (graciously) count Murray Hamilton, Norman Fell or Mildred Natwick. There are cameos by Robert Vaughn, John Cassavetes, Ben Gazzara, Vittorio De Sica and Anita Ekberg, but the main roles were played by yet-to-be (TV) stars - like Ian McShane and Suzanne Pleshette - and other somewhat unknown (at least today) character actors like Sandy Baron, Michael Constantine, Pamela Britton, Reva Rose, Marty Ingels and Peggy Cass.

The story is about a busload of Americans tourists in Europe that get a surface-level road & boat tour of many of the continent's highlights in less than 3 weeks time. Charlie Cartwright (McShane) is their guide, who is necessarily part parent, nanny, psychiatrist, coach, friend and even lover to his charges, a job he's apparently done for more than a dozen years. Kind of like a sailor with a girl in every port, charming Charlie's off-duty exploits are frequently interrupted by various problems that crop up during this, his 225th tour.

Of the tourists, Suzanne Pleshette as Samantha Perkins gets most of the screen time, and the film's title could have been "Prudence returns to Rome all grown up" after her 'Adventure' with Troy Donahue in 1962. She being the only young single woman on the bus, Charlie flirts with her throughout but doesn't make any progress until late in the movie, stereotypically after getting her drunk. In fact, the filmmakers exploit quite a few stereotypes throughout the movie, though none offensively even when available.

Even at only 98 minutes, it drags a bit when Donovan - who wrote the title song, which refers to the routine nature of the tour - sings "Lord of the Reedy River" (catch it on youtube, if you'd like) at a youth hostel. All in all it's a fairly harmless romp and there are some sweet scenes, but probably too few humorous ones to recommend it very highly.
A Charming Love Story
Mister8tch8 March 2013
Many comments here about how this movie is dated, a throw back to the 60's, full of clichés, and that is a decent assessment, up to a point. But if you look on this movie as a love story, one that actually stays true to the notion that impromptu travel allows for romance to blossom (that might go either way), with characters who struggle with the idea of throwing it all in for love, then this little charmer of a film provides an unusual treat.

McShane and Pleshette have an amazing chemistry, each of their characters etched strongly. Enjoy their scenes, a flashy English playboy versus a Midwestern American prude, as they tenderly fall in love, providing the anchor for the other predictable travel/nightmare hi-jinks that occur.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Irma WOULD have loved this"
eschetic-27 October 2009
When this film first came out, our family was about to go on an American Express tour (11 countries in about as many days) and all my parents' friends said "you have to go see this!" We did. We smiled...but it was very clear that there was a dividing line in the audience. A healthy half of the audience was roaring with laughter the other half wasn't. Clearly, "you had to be there." We went on our tour. Marvelous time - lots of places we wanted to go back to, and in the years since have - and we went back to see the film again. This time we were in the half roaring.

Seeing the film again all these years later now that it's out on DVD, the memories came flooding back and made the film just as lovely an experience. To the "uninitiated" there's much in this now probably somewhat dated film (the falling of EEC borders and the rise of the Euro have smoothed travel considerably) that may seem crude or unkind, but to those who have enjoyed similar experiences, the warmth and affection that the film makers clearly had for the experience glows through. For all the problems that make up the comedy of the film, these characters had a wonderful time - and so will you if you've traveled.

It is, as others have noted, a holiday for great character actors. The great Reva Rose (the quiet wife Irma who gets hilariously separated from her husband) was just off famously creating the role of Lucy Van Pelt in the Off-Broadway musical YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN. She's made dozens of film and TV appearances since, but anyone who saw either YAGM,CB or this will never forget her. The rest of the cast is just as good.

Well worth a look.