In the countryside of England, the Duc de Richleau a.k.a Nicholas welcomes his old friend Rex Van Ryn that has flown to meet him and Simon Aron, who is the son of an old friend of them that had passed away but charged them the task of watching the youngster. Nicholas and Rex unexpectedly visit Simon that is receiving twelve mysterious friends. Sooner Nicholas, who is proficient in black magic, learns that the guests are member of a satanic cult and Simon and his friend Tanith Carlisle will be baptized by the powerful leader Mocata to serve the devil. The two friends abduct Simon and Tanith expecting to save their souls but Mocata summons the Angel of Death and the Goat of Mendes to help him in a battle between the good and the forces of evil.
Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The beauty of woman... the demon of darkness... the unholy union of "The Devil's Bride"!
Did You Know?
During the opening credits, a symbol is shown that is not Satanic, and it is also incorporated into the symbol on the priestly robes during the film. Inscribed within a Star of David, there is a six-winged seraph with the faces of a man, lion, ox and eagle based on the vision of Ezechiel. In Christian tradition, the four faces become associated with the four gospel writers: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. See more
Duc de Richleau
I'd rather see you dead than meddling with Black Magic!
The 2012 UK Blu-ray Disc released by Studio Canal features digitally enhanced special effects. The makers of the Blu-ray claim to complete shots which had never been finished due to budget reasons:
- Matte shot of Simon's mansion with the Observatory dome has been replaced with a CGI background.
- During the ritual at the climax of the movie a lightning has been replaced with a new CGI lightning.
- Spider sequence: Shadow for the spider has been added, some matte shots enhanced, and digital smoke added when the spider is sprayed with holy water.
- The Angel of Death sequence: A light effect is illuminating the door to cover the poor original optical effect when the angel rides through the door. The close up of the Angel of Death has a new background with flames as the original intended shot was never finished.
- The matte shots of Charley Grey's death in the fire have been digitally corrected as there were optical errors in the layers of the matte shots.
- Several other matte shots have been improved by removing matte lines.