Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) Poster

For Jazz Babies Everywhere!
phillindholm8 August 2005
"Thoroughly Modern Millie" is a thoroughly wonderful movie! With stars like Julie Andrews, Carol Channing and Beatrice Lillie, how can you lose?. The answer: You can't! Splendid songs, dances and a sometimes hilarious script blend into top entertainment. Julie Andrews stated she took the role because she didn't have much longer to play ingénue parts. And she couldn't have chosen better. She is perfect as Mllie, the Kansas innocent (with a forgivably British accent) who comes to the Big City (circa 1922) to land a rich husband. At the same time, she meets "Miss" Dorothy Brown (an appealing Mary Tyler Moore), a self-described "rich orphan" out to experience life among the working girls. A chance meeting with Jimmy Smith (James Fox, currently in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") leads to a meeting with fabulously wealthy playgirl Muzzy Van Hossmere (Carol Channing) and a series of delightful mishaps. Along the way, Millie becomes enamored of her handsome boss, Trevor Graydon (John Gavin) and learns the REAL occupation of her mysterious landlady, Mrs. Meers (Beatrice Lillie). All of the performers are "just swell", but inevitably, Lillie and Channing (who got an Oscar nomination) stand out, and there is a terrific turn by Cavada Humphrey as a formidable office manager. A typically polished Ross Hunter production, original songs by Sammy Cahn And James Van Heusen, and a musical background of standards by Oscar-winner Elmer Bernstein make this "Thoroughly Irresistible!"
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is an AWESOME movie
popsicle_4659 April 2005
Julie Andrews really shines in this twisted-up romance. She stars as the young, pretty Millie Dillmount, who came to New York, intent on becoming a "modern" and marrying her boss, as was the 'cool' thing to do. She at last finds the 'perfect' boss, a handsome young man named Trevor Graydon. Despite her attempts to suggest her love to him subtly, he doesn't seem to be taking the hint. Along comes Jimmy, too, an irrepressible, lovable paper-clip salesman, who's got his heart set on Millie. Millie tries to stay away from Jimmy and get Mr. Graydon to notice her, going to drastic measures to do so, and all the time while Millie is chasing Mr. Graydon, Jimmy is chasing Millie, and on top of that, Miss Dorothy, Millie's best friend, appears to be chasing both men. In the end, wild and crazy "jazz baby" Muzzy is needed to clear the air and match up lovers once and for all. With an upbeat air and a peppery score, along with Millie's realistic problems and the strange behavior of the housemother, this is definitely a ten on my list.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet, Cute, Lots Of Fun
angel12124815 February 2005
A brilliant musical offering well worth watching. Whether you like it or not all depends on taste; If you're like me and could watch and listen to Julie Andrews forever, it's for you. The rest of the cast is also fantastic, with Mary Tyler Moore as sweet Miss Dorothy and Beatrice Lillie as the hilarious Mrs Meers, and how could we forget Carol Channing as the fabulous Muzzy? Many people seem to have negative views on this movie; To others, it's great. If you're looking for deep, meaningful and heavy stuff, this probably isn't the movie for you. If you're looking for light, fluffy fun, come and bask in the glory of "Thoroughly Modern Millie"!
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable family film that balances slapstick with surrealism
allansluis22 March 2004
If you got to see this film when you were six like I did, you pleasantly discover that viewing it at 33 is still a lot of fun. In many ways it's better- contrary to most films you remember enjoying as a kid. Even though my nostalgic memories of this movie included some mildly scary imagery, when I view it now it still has impact but from a more humorous standpoint. I must also add on a more base level that Julie Andrews level of attractiveness is on par with her considerable talent. An interesting observation particularly since I remember being more attracted to Mary Tyler Moore when I was a kid and barely noticed Julie. The director's intention no doubt. Digressions aside, this movie is an ideal choice for a family movie night. Although it has aspects that are not as culturally sensitive as some may like, these details are not intended to be malicious but are included as contrast devices. Particularly for 1967. Do yourself a favor and rent or purchase the DVD. A widescreen treat that will get your feet tapping. The child and the middle aged man in me must both give this film a 9 out of 10.
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fun in spite of itself
emisue027 April 2003
I like this movie because it makes fun of itself. It knows it's silly, irreverant, and totally over the top. That's the point of the movie, and it works. It's completely void of substance-my friend claims to loose brain cells every time she sees it, yet she wants to watch it all the time. It's just plain fun and Julie Andrews (my personal fav) is at her most adorable. Even though in real life she was 31 and the mother of a 4-year-old, she's totally convincing as Millie. It does drag sometimes, but it's still a darling musical that's just full of fun-exactly how it's intended to be.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My brief review of the film
sol-1 December 2005
A crazy but enjoyable parody of the films and fashion trends during the 1920s, it has everything from jazz music to silent movie title cards, and there is a hilarious kidnapping subplot tied in with the main storyline. It is a bit too silly, and plus 130 minutes is a little too long, with a few of the dance routines drawn out, but this is great entertainment otherwise. The title song, costumes and set design all reflect the era very well, the cinematography is excellent, making everything interesting to look at, and some of the editing work and the sound design are great too. The supporting cast adds a lot of flavour to the mix. Beatrice Lillie comes off the best but Jack Soo, Pat Morita, and just about everyone else are close behind. Maybe it is a bit silly, maybe it is overlong, but it is a delight and a compelling film due to its uniqueness and bizarreness.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depiction of an era long gone!!
dmorse26 January 2005
I remember seeing this movie in college, and was impressed with it at the time; I bought the DVD recently and find it is a wonderful presentation; the colors are vibrant again and the music is well preserved and very listenable especially in surround sound....this version includes a musical intro. intermission music and exit music; unfortunately not any extras, other than the original trailer, but all in all a good package for the price....The twenties era is well portrayed, with the many fashions and fads brought into play and interwoven into the plot of the movie. The leads are all very good, with the exception of Mary Tyler Moore, whose acting is not very on key...Carol Channing is exceptional in the comic part of Muzzy, and there is a twist ending that involves her, which I won't give away to anyone who has not seen the movie....again the music and dancing make the movie with old standards such as Baby Face, Poor Butterfly, Do it again, and on and on with a few new ditties thrown in, by Elmer Bernstein and Andre Previn....this movie was nominated for several awards and one one for music...Enjoy!!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Showcase for Julie
dweck1 February 1999
Hard for me to be objective, here, since I've been madly in love with Julie Andrews since being first exposed to her crystalline voice when I was three.

But I'll try: "Millie's" first half is, to quote the screenplay, "Delish," with Andrews vamping and camping throughout. I am unable to take my eyes off her as she clowns, flirts, cavorts, and also sings and dances (getting her hotel elevator to work results in a showstopper). The vehicle--a pastiche of 1920s conventions (including "moderns") and filmgoing techniques (including iris-outs and title cards)--is the frothy light story of a British import who comes to America and finds true love.

The second half gets bogged down in the overwrought script, with all the machinations of a white slavery plot and a pair of "inscrutible" Orientals who, in this day and age of racial sensitivity, get far worse than they deserve.

Some history: Ross Hunter, the producer, wanted to film "The Boy Friend," the Broadway musical that had introduced Andrews to the U.S. stage. When the rights were unavailable, he devised his own script, using the same setting--the 1920s. A "small" musical evolved.

Then Julie's star went through the stratosphere. And the Universal "suits," smelling another payday, insisted that the movie be a road-show presentation--with a road-show running time(and at which road-show prices could be charged). Little "Millie" had an intermission added, and her running time was increased considerably.

The movie's still a lot of fun and definitely recommendable (especially to Andrews fans), but let's just say that, at times, it more than shows its stretchmarks!
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What A Funny Movie
Guitar-830 May 2005
Sad to learn that this was Beatrice Lillie's final movie. But her henchman assistants had better things ahead. Oriental #1 would go on to the 12th Precinct (Jack Soo-Barney Miller) while Oriental #2 would go on to own Arnold's in Milwaukee and help Daniel LaRusso become a karate kid (Pat Morita).

One of my favorite running gags of the movie is the elevator where you have to dance to get it going. Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore and Beatrice Lillie had to dance. Even Pat Morita and Jack Soo danced to the tune of "Japanese Sandman". The last time I ever heard "Japanese Sandman" was the theme to an old local TV farm report show in Houston, Texas (Dewey Compton).
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable, delightful and very funny
sscohn2 May 2005
Thoroughly Modern Millie is a musical comedy classic, with a very memorable and wonderful musical score. Julie Andrews shows her versatility and charm, once again. Mary Tyler Moore is a special bonus in this film, and shows, once again, her fun side. Carol Channing is as charming as ever, and Beatrice Lillie is a riot! The rest of the cast is also well tuned. The film's continuity is well written and well staged. The sets, costumes and hairstyles were painstakingly well attended to in this period piece. This is just one more charming and delightful musical of the 1960s, and, alas, one of the last of its kind before the genre started to change.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Camp at its best!
jpkolo30 March 2003
Sammy Cahn's lyrics still crack me up! (it's odd and sodom-n-gomorrahble...) And Julie complaining about her fronts being too full... Hello? Everything in that movie is thoroughly over the board. And well done too! Just seeing Bea Lillie's make-up and blue frock (Jean-Louis at his worst? best?) is enough too put you in the mood for more camp... And there's plenty more, including fireworks, car chases, air acrobatics and politically incorrect racial innuendos. They couldn't remake it as is anymore. Too bad! That's entertainment!
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most underrated musicals ever...
apuluvmanjula30 June 2001
Is this a classic film? Hardly. Is this a good film? Surely! Is this an entertaining romp? Absolutely! "Thoroughly Modern Millie" is probably a film you haven't heard of, but that shouldn't discourage you from renting it (if you can find it). This 1920's era musical made in the 1960's is in my opinion one of the most underrated musicals ever. The music is fantastic! I'm willing to bet that the catchy tunes will most definitely make your toes tap for days afterward!

Thought not for everyone, this movie is thoroughly enjoyable if you can sit in you seat for well over two hours! Yes, it's long; but the entertainment doesn't stop for a minute. Everyone whose seen this movie has a favorite song (or at least *I* do)! Mine would either be the title song played during the opening sequence (which is probably the funniest, most enjoyable part of the entire film) or the "Tappioca". Actually, the funniest moment happens in an elevator (watch the movie, you'll see)!

While this is not one of the greatest films made, it's unfortunate still that many seem to think that the film is really stupid. And I will admit that it is a little hard to believe that a feel-good, socially ignorant film like this was released in 1967; just two years before such influential and memorable films as "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "Bonnie and Clyde" among others which this film is about the exact opposite of. A movie like this should have been released ten years before as it may have been better received.

So go out and get this film if you're in the mood for and off-beat, comedy musical with some rather odd negative overtones that are there just for the heck of it! Julie Andrews has never been better! And yes, Mary Tyler Moore CAN sing...
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Swell
beatleman625 February 2005
I saw this movie when I was little, and I still enjoy it today. This movie spoofs the 1920's and has a lot of fun doing it. Julie Andrews is in fine form as the title character. She gets to sing, dance, and be the fine comedienne she always has been. James Fox also shines as her would be boyfriend. While others seem to have a rather negative view of Carol Channing, I feel she has some of the most memorable moments in the movie. As madcap Muzzy, she brightens every scene she is in. She truly represents what a Jazz Baby is all about. John Gavin and Mary Tyler Moore also do a fine job as Millie's boss and best friend respectively.

The only major problem with this movie is its excessive length. While the songs and production numbers are wonderfully executed, quite a few of them are only here to prove what we already know...that Julie Andrews has a great voice. Take out The Tapioca, the wedding song, and Channing's Do It Again and you would have a much tighter movie. I fast forward through these sections every time.

For those people who feel offended by the stereotypical treatment of Asians in the film ... get over it. It is all done with tongue firmly planted in cheek. If anyone thinks for one minute that all Asians run laundries and are involved in slave trading, they probably shouldn't be watching movies and television anyway. (Being from a rural area of North Carolina doesn't keep me from enjoying the lampooning I often see in the media concerning the south and southerners.)

All in all a fun way to spend a weekend night with the family.

Definitely No Raspberries!
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just horrendous
preppy-326 February 2010
This "musiclal" takes place in 1922. Millie (Julie Andrews) comes to the big city to meet a man and get married. She runs into beautiful if feather-brained Dorothy (Mary Tyler Moore--seriously), a strange landlady (Beatrice Lillie), the "charming" Jimmy Smith (James Fox), her dashing boss (John Gavin) and rich Muzzy (Carol Channing) who yells "rasberries" for no apparent reason. Trust me, it's even worse than it sounds!

Now I like everybody in the cast and the film looks great in terms of fashion and set design...but it's a chore to sit through. I was "lucky" enough to see the 153 minute roadshow version and I had trouble staying awake! The script is virtually nonexistent and throws in everything they can think of...including white slavery! The acting varies. Andrews is good but Moore seems bewildered, Fox looks desperate, Gavin is wooden (to say the least) and Channing is so ON she's downright frightening. There are far too many songs and dances and not one of them is memorable. For no particular reason there's an elevator in this movie that won't operate...until people tap dance! This leads to a llooonnnnggg number where Andrews and Moore have to tap dance to get to their floor! To make things worse these "amusing" cards pop up (like in silent movies) to tell us what Millie is thinking. Too bad that none of them are fun. The final nail was the script. It's full of horrible lines and "jokes" that are just downright painful to listen to! I rolled my eyes and groaned more than once. I had to struggle to stay awake through this one. The bad lines, acting and musical numbers are deadening. This only gets a 2 because I like Andrews and Moore and Andrews puts her all into the singing numbers that are far beneath her talents. If you must watch have your finger close to the fast forward! Just dreadful.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Goofology 101
gierran6 August 2003
Possible minor spoilers ahead:

This is a film for jaded moviegoers. Just when you think that cinema is starting to look all the same, you get to watch Carol Channing get shot out of a cannon! It's just great. You'll think to yourself, "Well, now I can die. I've seen it all!" Carol Channing is absolutely phenomenal in this movie because she creates a character that has never been seen before in movies and probably never will be again. That is because she is such an oddball in real life. I know. When I lived in New York City, I was a cater waiter. I waited on Ms. Channing (or was it Muzzy, her character from this movie?) and thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, if she asks me for raspberries, I won't be able to handle it." (If you've seen the movie, you'll get my dumb joke.) Really, rent this film or watch it when it comes on television: the whole thing is so far over-the-top, you'll need binoculars just to see what's going on. This movie gets a perfect 10.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun fun fun
rps-225 January 2013
This is one my favourite movies of all time so I was DEE-lighted to see that Turner Classic had programmed it. I had my DVD recorder churning away and my eyes glued to my flat screen TV. 1967 is a long time ago. There were no flat screen TV's or DVD's in those days. Not even any Turner Classic Movies or home satellite dishes. Yet this movie is as relevant and as much fun now as it was then. Silly, extravagant, over the top and who cares that some of the buildings and the cars in the shots were wrong because Julie Andrews, Mary Tyler Moore and Jamie Fox are so right! As were Beatrice Lillie and Carol Channing. Whadda cast!!! There is a boisterous, tongue in cheek, satirical,refreshing energy that pervades every scene. Even the nasty business of white slavery is made a basic part of the plot without in any way trivializing the problem although I wonder if the producers would get away with their oriental stereotypes had the film been made today. No message, No serious stuff. No humping scenes or gun battles.Not even any F words! Just a lot of laughs and a lot of great toe tapping twenties music.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one hundred percent sap
onepotato211 May 2008
If you need proof that the universe is screwy, Rotten Tomatoes ranks this with one hundred percent favorable reviews. Let me further inform you that 'Casablanca' and '2001' don't even get one hundred percent! But somehow this silly, creaky, antiquated piece of cornball receives all raves..? Anyone with sense organs (or taste, technically it's rotten) will not be able to endure this twee movie, let alone recommend it. It's an over-produced trifle which is underwritten, but it hands twenty minutes at a time over to very tired gags. You can see that any scene that wasn't sufficiently cute was dumped. This resistance to anything but shallow, teflon conceits becomes quite off-putting, and you can feel your brain slowly dying from lack of use. Before the halfway point, it's awful, and then Carol Channing arrives and takes the endeavor to the upper levels of annoyance. Andrews has never been my cup of tea.

This is god-awful sap. All copies of it should be stockpiled and fired from cannons at the enemy.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Disappointing
tradingspaces8421 January 2007
This was the first Julie Andrews movie I have ever been disappointed in. I couldn't even make it through the entire movie. The first several minutes alone creeped me out. If I'm watching a movie where a big part of the plot is white slavery, I do not expect to see so much happy tap dancing. Every time you looked, someone was dancing while girls were being carted off. Then characters would have a thought and it would pop up on the screen like it was some sort of silent movie. Any other parts were just plain silly and I could never get into the story. I highly recommend any other Julie Andrews movie. They are much better, not to mention happier, and more memorable all around.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Gem of an Old Hollywood Disasterpiece
why-mm8 May 2002
Following the success in 1965, of "The Sound of Music", "Mary Poppins", and "My Fair Lady", Hwood studios thought that old-fashioned musicals were the next big thing. "THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE" was birthed from this predication, something of a Waterloo for the studios, an anachronism in the face of the real new wave that heralded "Bonnie & Clyde" and "Easy Rider". That hindsight only reinforces the impression that one gets when viewing "Millie" today, the impression that the film is COMPLETELY RETARDED. It must be seen to be believed. Go rent this film just to experience the nervous chuckles and blushes of humiliation you'll feel. Watch in fascination/horror the unfolding white slavery plot, the rascist caricature of Asians, Carol Channing, the kitschy 20's slang, James Fox's acting, Carol Channing in a plane, the ridiculous dance numbers, the ugly soundstage-bound sets, Carol Channing being shot out of a cannon, Julie Andrew's boobs exploding underneath her dress, Carol Channing dancing on a xylophone, James Fox in drag, Carol Channing playing a trumpet, Carol Channing... you get the idea. A good companion piece to this is Otto Preminger's SKIDOO, one of the worst movies ever made, also starring... Carol Channing.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I couldn't bear it in 1967 and cant bear it,now.
stevewrench-816-8569838 September 2014
All the money and all the talent just circles the drain in this mess. Pretty costumes,great actors,zippy airplanes,tall buildings,nice lot shooting,and it all comes down to the fact that you are BEGGING for this to be over about an hour into it. I think we all watch it just to be respectful to Julie and Mary and Carol. This movie just flat sucks. There is NO life to it. \ Julie Andrews is NOT sexy,in any way. Shes too old for the part. MTM is very sexy,but kept under wraps for this one. She is too old,too. I know its a bit of a tongue in cheek piece,but it is a waste,all around. The music is enjoyable and in 1967,nothing on earth was less desired than a twenties themed score. Blame it on the Summer of Love. 1967 was a WILD year. This film is so utterly tame,in every single way that it just fizzed and died when it came out. I laughed my behind off when I read the reviews on Wiki. This thing was inflated and held up. In short,a very pretty,harmless sleeping pill.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 20s as the flappers knew it!
BritishFilms121 May 2003
Overlong, granted, but none-the-less spectacular campy musical that makes the most of the choreography, notably the lift moving scene with Andrews and Moore at the start. Fox and Gavin are adequate but show little interest. Channing seems superfluous. Bea Lillie steals the acting honors.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Muddled Millie!
brefane13 March 2009
Along with Star!(68 and Darling Lili(70) this elephantine musical spoof was the death knell for movie musicals and Julie Anndrews' film career. Though Andrews is charming, looks great and is in good voice, the rest of the cast works too hard to little effect, and the leading men recede into the background. In addition, Mary Tyler Moore seems uncomfortable; her smile seems pained and forced, and she and Andrews are a bit too mature for their roles. Carol Channing is a raving, grinning albino who appears ready to devour everyone and everything in sight. She should have devoured the film and crapped out a better one. Channing received an Osacr nod for supporting actress. The script is a bizarre mishmash seemingly written by someone suffering from ADD. George Roy Hill who directed the excellent and undervalued Slaughterhouse-Fine(72) as well as the overrated Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid(69) and The Sting(73)seems out of his element here though no one could really do much with what he had to work with. 1967 produced two other expensive musical duds: Dr. Dolittle and Camelot. How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying released the same year is far more diverting. Watch that instead.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Is What They Make You Watch in Hell
evanston_dad29 April 2005
I was going to give this movie 1 star until I realized that I gave "Moulin Rouge" that ranking, and I can't possibly hate a movie as much as that one. You might think from my ratings of these two movie musicals that I don't like movie musicals. Not so. I like GOOD movie musicals, not stinky ones like this. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when the powers that be sat around the table planning this one. There must have been a lot of acid in that conference room.

If this movie had ended at intermission, it wouldn't have been so bad. As it is, this one is deadly, and it doesn't help that it comes in at a ass-numbing 2 1/2 hours. No one, but no one comes out the better for having been involved with this movie. Let's just start with Julie Andrews, since she is the star of the show. She's completely miscast, and about 15 years too old for the part. She does her best to make something of this mess, but too frequently simply gives up and resorts to playing her part like Maria from "The Sound of Music" (a movie musical I liked, by the way).

James Fox, who plays her love interest, is almost unbearably mannered in his performance, with a full repertoire of facial contortions and nervous tics that will send you to the kitchen for countless refills of popcorn, long after the popcorn is gone.

Mary Tyler Moore is simply dreadful in the most thankless role ever put to screen. I was going to chalk her disastrous performance up to being a novice, but then I remembered that she had already been in the "Dick Van Dyke Show" and was starring in "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" even as this film was released, so she has no excuse for being rotten.

Beatrice Lillie as the villianess might have been funny if she was given anything funny to do.

Carol Channing is Carol Channing, weird and hyper. However, she alone of the cast seems to know what the hell she's doing, and any scene involving her ends up being a highlight of the film.

I don't know why they decided to make this a musical. Musicals were gasping for breath by 1967 anyway; for every "My Fair Lady" or "The Sound of Music," there was a "Doctor Dolittle" and "Camelot." The music in "Millie" seems added on as an afterthought, since hardly any of the songs have anything to do with the plot, and director George Roy Hill couldn't direct a musical number if his life depended on it.

Speaking of Hill, I'll save my last comments for him. He's all wrong for this film. I'm assuming the movie was intended to be a satirical send-up of 20's silent melodramas, since it comes complete with reaction shots aimed directly at the camera and title cards elaborating on characters' emotions. But if that's so, why does Hill set everything to such a plodding pace? The thing staggers along like a rabid dog before finally collapsing under the weight of its inanity. One wishes Atticus Finch would emerge from behind a tree and put this particular rabid dog (and the audience) out of its misery.

You know what the most memorable thing about this movie is? The title song. You'll be singing it for days and days and days and days afterwards. Enjoy.

Grade: D- (because only "Moulin Rouge" is entitled to a grade of F)
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Universal musical is wildly inconsistent...
calvinnme20 August 2017
...except in one respect; Elmer Bernstein's Oscar winning score carries the film, from its title song, to Carol Channing's "I'm A Jazz Baby" number, through the film's slow/irritating/self-consciously "Cute" spots.

Director George Roy Hill has to be given credit; he attempted a spoof of early silent movies, with effects like wipes, title cards, and visuals like using pastels for most of the colors, especially Mary Tyler Moore's outfits. He does an extended riff on Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last" (1923), which is funny and effective. Sometimes he is off by a decade or so, though. For example, when the secondary pair of lovers first meet, they duet to "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life", which is amusing, but thirteen years early (film is set in 1922). Each character spoofs a type.

Julie Andrews is the perky heroine. Her parody is right on target, and her singing and dancing are also near perfect. I found Mary Tyler Moore irritatingly helpless, until I recognized her type was the helpless rich girl who never does anything for herself. Then, I was able to appreciate her performance. James Fox was enjoyable in his role; I didn't know he could sing. John Gavin, as Millie's boss, must have been directed to act as wooden as humanly possible; again, I didn't know he could sing.

This was one of the last 1960's "Roadshow" musicals to make a profit. It has a wonderful musical score, but an uneven script and too many "cutesy" moments offset that strength. Still, it is more than worth seeing if it comes your way.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is Terrif!
StarrySky123Inf4 August 2002
The entire cast was Terrif: Carol Channing, Mary Tyler Moore, John Garvin, James Fox, etc., but the brightest star on the screen was the great and beautiful Julie Andrews! She is my very favorite movie star! Her voice and acting ability are captivating whatever she does. I have always favored classic movies and this one definitely has all of the charm, big stars, and also the clever plot to be high on my list.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.