Spider-Man (TV Series 1967–1970) Poster

(1967–1970)

Fun, with catchy title song
Rovin5 August 2000
Although the animation was terrible by today's standards, this series had a style that was very much in keeping with the 60's Spider-man comic books. There were a standard set of shots with Spidey swinging along buildings, or coming right at the screen, which they used over and over and over again.

Some of the episodes were taken right from the comic books(such as the one where Jameson sends a robot with his face on it after Spider-man--it even used lines directly from the comic). Others were rip offs of shows from Rocket Robin Hood(in particular the "Dimentia Fiiive!!!" one). These were the worst ones because they tended to meander and frequently had these psychedelic background skies that were really depressing to stare at.

It was a good show for laughs--intentional and otherwise. Whenever I read a Spider-man comic--I think of J. Jonah Jameson, Peter Parker, and Spider-man with the voices they have in this series.

Note: the music was actually pretty good--very fast moving--and of course the title song with its memorable lyrics: "Spider-man, Spider-man, does whatever a spider can, can he swing from a web? Take a look overhead, hey there, there goes the Spider-man!"

Once you hear that song--you'll never get it out of your head.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some people just don't get it
Rebecca Halstorm4 March 2014
OK, so I'll admit maybe it could've included Liz and Flash and maybe it could've had have some more Aunt May. But as far as complaining about the animation and the fact that Spider-man "doesn't have all webs on his costume" is just ridiculous as the show had a very limited budget. Although.... One thing I didn't like was the voice acting, really no excuse for that Jameson was good, Betty Brant was decent but, that was really it. Spider-man sounded like an a man in his mid-30s so it definitely didn't deliver, and I want that "energy" from that Spider-man. The kind of energy that just gets you excited a good voice actor can do that, Mark Hamill's Joker did that. But in the end I actually thought the makers did a pretty good job with what the had to work with. It could've been a LOT worse. And also, this show gave us the classic Spiderman theme song that pretty much everyone knows. So all in all it pretty decent especially the 1st season, It's kinda a either you "Love' it or you "Hate" it show. However, I'm sure nostalgia could be maker true haters rate it higher
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ahhhh! What fond memories this brings back!
Carycomic27 February 2004
*Could be some spoilers*

Hanna-Barbera ruled CBS, on Saturday mornings, during the 1960's. But, Marvel ruled ABC. There was H-B's version of the Fantastic Four. *I still think of Paul Frees' voice whenever I read Ben Grimm's battlecry: "It's clobberin' time!"* And, there was "Spider-man," produced by Krantz Animation. Out of all the cartoon-versions I've watched, I still consider this one the undeniable best.

I mean, Spidey was one of the few superheroes I saw, back then, who DIDN'T wear a cape! He had the coolest powers; the best wisecracks; the most atmospheric background music; and (last-but-not-least) the world's catchiest theme song. *"SPIDER-MAN! SPIDER-MAN! DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER CAN!" ETC., ETC.*

And, imagine my further delight, when I watched Rankin/Bass' "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" for the first time, and recognized half its characters' voices as being Spidey-voices!!

What I loved most of all, however, was the animation, itself. Far superior (even during the rather downbeat second season) to the type used for the syndicated sister-show, "Marvel Superheroes." The latter reminded me more of "Clutch Cargo" than "Spider-man!"

Now, if only Paul Soles or Paul Kligman could have done some kind of cameo for the first live-action Spider-sequel, starring Tobey Maguire, my life would nearly be complete. Because, to me, LIFE IS A GREAT BIG BANG-UP. WHEREVER THERE'S A HANG-UP, YOU'LL FIND THIS SPIDER-FAN!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I loved this show when I was little...
A-Ron-24 January 2002
The problem with comic books today, is that they are waaayy too sophisticated for most kids to comprehend... I read Spiderman when I was 6 and 7 years old (I read it when I was older as well, but I will get to that) and I could follow the stories to some exent, but mostly I read it because the cartoon was soooo cool (much cooler than any later Spiderman incarnations)... the animation was quirky, the voices were very Shatnerian (I think I just invented a word, and I will now use it frequently), but it was fun and it made sense to a young mind.

Now, don't get me wrong about comic books, I really appreciated the more sophisticated stories when I was a teenager, but I have no idea how the medium will gain new fans when you cannot hope to get involved with them until you are at least a teenager (when such things are uncool)... and a lot of the material is too intense for young eyes anyway... maybe a line of comics for younger fans would be good. I dunno, but I feel bad that my kid will likely not have comic book heroes in his life to any meaningful degree... I just wish that cool shows like Bakshi's Spiderman were still on the air to fill in the gaps.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bakshi is Better (IMHO)
EyeDunno4 October 2005
I grew up watching this series in the early 1970s, and I'm happy that someone finally placed them onto DVDs. The set of 6 discs is rather deep, with all the episodes filling the DVDs. It's rather thin on extras. But there are what, 3 hours per disc? And the episodes are in chronological order, from the first to the final episode.

Some of the episodes weren't digitally remastered, as most seem to have been, but heck, when I compare them to the VHS tapes I used to purchase at comic book shows where the tapes were recorded from UHF stations yielding poor reception, I won't complain. I'm just glad they're here. For the price, it's plenty of bang for the buck.

As for the episodes, Ralph Bakshi took over as producer midway through the run of the original episodes (his cartoons can be found about midway through the third DVD). Reading through postings on the net, people have said that Bakshi took over and operations moved from Canada to the US when it was cheaper then to produce the animation in the states... and some staff cutting was done while the episodes were still cranked out at a good pace. Hence, people claim, a good bit of regurgitation of characters and plot lines increased. FYI, the Canadian episodes had Spidey webbing in clear skies, while the Bakshi episodes introduced eerie, watercolored skies.

I'm a visual guy, and love the vibrant tones. Plus, it seems as though the music picked up a lot with the change. I just "dig" the way the music sounded. You can even hear a musician yelp every now and then in some jam sessions. So, I can't go Bakshi bashing. Usually, it's the networks that trim budgets, and Bakshi, I feel, had to make due. He did the best he could, I think, and I bet that if the budget had been fat, Bakshi would have had the animators take time and add depth and detail.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great great show
ron_7218022 May 2003
Hell I wasnt even really thought of when this show first came out. I use to watch it on Fox 5 in NYC with my dad when I was 3....that was about 20 years ago. This was definetly the best of the 60s Marvel cartoons. I preferred the first ones, I liked the Bakshi ones, but I liked the shorts because they mostly used the comic villains. The Bakshi ones didnt start using real comic villains towards the end. Fox Family occasionally shows it, but rarely. If you can find videos of this series at comic stores pick them up. This was a great show.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Animation? What animation?
dmcginnis8623 November 2006
When I was a very small boy in the 1970s I used to love this show. That is because I had no taste. I recently purchased the box set because of nostalgia and it is really off-putting how bad the material is. In each 20 minutes or so of the program there are perhaps forty-five seconds of original animation. The vast majority of the show is stock animation repeated over and over, and, in the later episodes, stills that are manipulated (spun around, zoomed in on, etc.) In the earlier episodes the backgrounds are at least colorful, but in later episodes they get dark and inexplicably expressionistic. And why do the episodes introduce only three characters: Peter Parker, J. Jonah Jameson, and Betty Brant? What about Flash Thompson? Aunt May? -- There are dozens of potential characters that should have been introduced.

Okay, now I have that out of my system...

The music score is pretty cool, and while the show has its flaws, it captures something of the swinging attitude that "Smilin' Stan Lee" and "Jazzy Johnny Romita" brought to the early Spider-Man comics. --> NOT MUCH, but something.

The "Spider Man and His Amazing Friends" show from the 80s is far superior, as are the cartoon shows from the 90s. It's too bad Marvel animation couldn't have come up with something of the quality and intelligence of the Batman Animated Series and its several spin- offs.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Super Hero Cartoon
Enlil-An15 February 2003
I watched this series when I was a kid, not in the late 60's, but in 1984, the last year it aired on regular television. Luckily, that year my parents bought our first VCR and I managed to get some of the episodes on tape. I still have some of these tapes today (mixed with Gilligan's Island and other junk).

There were three series. The first was good. But the best were the 2nd and 3rd series with a different animation team including the great Ralph Bakshi who went on to make animated movies like Lord of the Rings (1979), Fire & Ice, and American Pop.

When one sees these Spiderman cartoons today, they might comment on the crudity of the animation. For example, Spiderman's costume is unfinished, he is refilmed swinging through the air over and over again in the same pose, sometimes he stands on the edge of a building with one foot in the air and is always swinging across town far above the tops of buildings.

But these and other things don't take away from how good I think the animation is. First of all, even though all of Spidey's movements are the same shots reused a hundred times, at least they're smooth. In action cartoons today the characters are very jerky and awkward and have no real feeling of action. Though the colors are old and dull, the backgrounds are the most interesting and unique that you'll ever see in any cartoon (including full length feature films; espiecially Disney). Also, animation in super-hero cartoons today is too elastic-like. The heros manage to stretch and twist there way in and out of everything. The old Spiderman cartoons looked and felt more like the comic (maybe not like Todd McFarlane's).

But the artwork isn't the only thing that makes this series cool. The music is better than any other cartoon before or since. Besides the unforgettable theme song, each scene of each episode is accompanied by a jazzy rock n, roll tune or an orchestral piece (some of it existing classical). I watch them for the music as much as the cartoon itself. You will never here a score like it or anything else as memorable in a cartoon again.

These old Spidermans are also written in the traditional style of story telling that's hard to find these days. The drama builds to the action sequences making it more exciting, where as action cartoons today just punch their way through every scene making it very boring.

Perhaps it's sheer nostalgia. But I wish there were more cartoons like this one.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Animation
whitewings-121 October 2003
Yes, the animation stinks. There's no disagreement on that. But perhaps you'd like to know *why* it stinks? Originally, the show's animation budget was actually quite good, enough that the entire could have been done at the same level of detail and quality as the opening credits, but a warehouse fire destroyed most of the first season's finished work, and the animators were forced to redo the entire thing in a third of the time with a third of the budget; small wonder they resorted to recycling and library work. And of course, for the second and third seasons, the animation budget was slashed; it aws already a hit, so why spend extra on it?
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
GREAT CARTOON
Big Movie Fan13 February 2002
I love superhero films and TV shows and this was a great cartoon.

The animation may not be as great as the mid-1990's cartoon series but the stories were fun. My favourite episodes were "Return of the Flying Dutchman" and "Neptunes Nose Cone."

All of Spidey's main foes were in this-including my favourite Mysterio (the guy with the fishbowl for a helmet). And Peter Parker was so likeable in this show.

One more thing-I just loved the theme tune for this show and it is the best theme tune out of all the Spider-Man cartoon shows.

Will somebody please release EVERY episode onto video sometime?
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An original animation
mrmoore197027 July 2006
Although I was born the same year that Spider-man went off the air in 1970, it ran in syndication, which I watched all the episodes when it aired. Compared with the contemporary cartoons of my childhood such as Speed Racer, The Superfriends, Most of Filmation Studios animation, etc., the original Spider-Man cartoon, by far, had better graphics, music, etc. than the subsequent "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" among other recent Spider-Man episodes, although they were more advanced, consistent, and greater story lines. Spider-Man had an original animation theme, such as the original Lone ranger Cartoon of the 1960s (Format Films). This Spider-Man will always remain a classic to me.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Most faithful adaption of the spirit of the 60s Spiderman comics!
Brock-430 September 2003
The music, the mood, the voice acting - everything was great, and some of it is timeless. Some of it is dated, true, but it is the best cheesy fun out there! I can't think of the voice of Spidey or JJJ without thinking of this show - which had AMAZING music - very moody and fun! Try it and love it!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Classic stuff
rams_lakers2 July 2004
For those of us that used to watch this in the 70s as kids, this is some classic stuff. The first series was by far the best Spidey cartoon, no other comes close. The second series left many of us shaking our heads at the psychedelic backgrounds and made-up Spidey villains.

They tried to update the Spider-man cartoon in 1981 and 1994 but that stuff was just a lame copy of the original. The newer Spidey cartoon movements and voices are wrong, the writing is bad, and they just don't get it. Take it from an artist here who used to read the Classic Spider-man comics before they ruined them in the 90s+ with bad art, bad stories, bad all around. John Romita was the best one by far. Once you are brought up on the original comics and cartoons nothing else is acceptable.

Sure, the animation could be better in the old cartoon but back then it was cool. It's still OK and the DvDs have them remade nicely. The haters giving this bad reviews are just silly kids who don't know better since all they have is Spongebob and Pokeman and all this new crap. Cat-dog? WTF???

This Spider-man cartoon came out around the same era as Scooby-Doo, Wacky Races, Herculoids and other great classic Saturday morning cartoons. The pioneers back then were ahead of their time. The junk cartoons nowadays don't even come close!

This DVD is worth the $47 I paid for it. Buy it to relive some cool cartoons from your past, don't buy it if you are some snooty kid who was born in the 80s that can't grasp the concept of great cartoons.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
First season = :D Second/Third = D:
theultimatemarvelunivers20 August 2013
This may contain spoilers. I'd give it a five. The first season is cheesy, but I really recommend it to Spider-Man fans like me. Season 2-3 they got a new writer. This was the guy who wrote Rocket Robin-hood. In my opinion, he should stuck to that, because season 2 started out great! Even better than season 1. I think season 2 is prequel to season 1 because the first episode starts out with a spectacular origin of Spider-Man! Episode 2 we are ACTUALLY introduced to Kingpin. Episode 3 we get a made up villain who's a little goofy, but all in all it's a fun episode that's great for Spidey fans. Episode 4 is where it gets bad. Spidey fights a mole man underground. And it basically goes downhill from there as he even goes to space. Season 3 isn't any better, one villain is defeated by being turned into ice cream! No joke. Still, worth a watch.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It may have been cheap, but what's changed?
hypernode14 December 2002
Yeah, ARP were cheap and probably had little regard for their audience - but really, what's changed? Animators like Chuck Jones may have poured their souls into their work, but the execs still treated their work as 'just another product'. One of them (just can't recall his name) sat in throne and would yell "Role the Garbage!" before previewing the cartoons. The Warner brothers, according Jones, didn't even know what cartoons were their's - they thought they had Mickey Mouse! I'll still take the 60's Spidey over any other cartoon version. For all its datedness, for the reused shots and plots, and perposterous story lines it still feels like it has more heart. The other versions just feel stale, less imaginitive. (I know that sounds odd) Plus you not only had an incredible theme song, but an incredible "score" to boot. I have been watching it on Teletoon just to listen to the music - if wish they'd put out a comprehensive CD compilation. If only cartoons were scored like this nowadays! (probably where most of the budget went actually)
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spider man cartoon series 1967-1970
legendsofrock200313 June 2006
The greatest adaptation of a marvel comic book until the first Spiderman Movie! The Incredible Hulk Television series was great but was not faithful to the source material the way this cartoon was! Many people comment that the animation does not stand up to todays standards, well tell me, nay-sayers, what animated show from that time does? Lets compare this one to other animated shows of that day (40 Years ago)Let's say, Marvel Superheroes?!?!? how about Superfriends? The action and pacing on this Spiderman show was top, notch. The Action and pacing on Superfriends was slow and plodding. Yes, they over used animation cells more than the bigger budgeted super friends but they knew how to do so in a way that made the show have a visual style all it's own, and the over all feel of this 40 year old cartoon is better than any superhero cartoon before or since! In my view! I still love watching this one as much now, as I did then, and I'm 44 years old! The last time I tried watching Superfriends, I fell asleep!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A blast from the past!
morgan_735 June 2001
What a treat! Watching all the episodes from the sixties (the series ran from 1967-69) was right out of this world! The series had three seasons, two of which were directed by Ralph Bakshi. These particular seasons had some really bizarre storylines, including time travel, inter-dimensional travel, wizards and black magic, giant cats, and man-eating vines! However it's the swinging, rocking music that really makes this series cook! I only wish this music was available now!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Grew up watching.
Kelsey Jefferson3 January 2018
I grew up watching Spiderman I have watch every episode more than once. I have a Spiderman mug.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When it was first broadcast.
My father was Don Draper. So was my mother. I was eight. I hated every child actor on TV except Wednesday on the Adams Family. TV sucked. Lost in Space was Stupid. Star Trek was the coolest thing since Johnny Quest. I say again. TV sucked. Yes sometimes The Twilight Zone. Yes always the Outer Limits, and the rebroadcast of The Wizard of Oz. TV sucked, sucked sucked. It sucked so badly that I bought a Spindrift model from the Land of the Giants TV show and I hated that show. I still have it but know that it sucked.

Spiderman Season 1 was Great.Not even close to Johnny Quest but magnificent all the same. Adequate art work. Excellent music. Terrific voices. Spiderman sounds an awful lot like William Shatner. There are no pictures of Paul Soles. True both are Canadian. Prove me wrong. That's Bill Shatner making a little extra spending money on the side. I met him back in 1977. My first thought was he isn't Clark Kent, he's Spiderman.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ultracool music and nice voice work
Don Gordon16 May 2015
The thing that really made this show special was the music. Bachelor pad band leader Ray Ellis composed, and conducted a wide range of dramatic secret-agent-style cues for the first season, and these bits got reused to good effect in the following seasons. Bob Harris and Paul Francis Webster contributed the theme song with its frenetic off-kilter drum riffs. Starting in season 2, the creators began dipping into the KPM music catalogue bringing to light ice-cool jazz gems such as Syd Dale's "The Hell Raisers" and David Lindup's "Stand By." Some of the same cues would later pop up in TV shows such as "Dallas." Paul Kligman's J. Jonah Jameson and Paul Soles' Peter Parker voice work was absolutely wonderful. It's hard not to imagine their voices when reading the comics.

The animation art is fairly dynamic, and resembles the work of John Romita who served as a consultant. Comic artist Gray Morrow even worked as one of the animators. Ralph Bakshi who would later become famous for "Lord of the Rings" and "Fire and Ice" took over as director in the second season. The most obvious mark of his influence was the dark multi-coloured clouds that appeared as backgrounds in some of the more psychedelic episodes.

Overall one of the more interesting animated series' of its time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Your Friendly, Neighborhood Spider-Man; Slinging Web From Comics Page To TV Screen
John T. Ryan30 May 2014
FOLLOWING THE OTHER animated series from Marvel Comics, THE MARVEL SUPER HEROES by about a half a year, this was the first on screen incarnation of "THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN"; being creator Stan Lee's top solo hero creation. The series boasted of having much of the same creative talent as was involved with the other, previous series; namely Steve Krantz and Ralph Bakshi of KRANTZ FILMS.

THIS SERIES DEBUTED on ABC TV at the same date as Hannah-Barbera Productions' adaption of Marvel Comics' THE FANTASTIC FOUR. We can't recall the exact time slots; but, we do know that they were back to back. It was a good time for Comic Book Super Heroes!*

THE ONE VERY 'Marvel Comics' element and Stan Lee trademark was included; after being totally absent from the MARVEL SUPER HEROES program. That would be the interjection of humor. SPIDER-MAN was steeped in it; what with a lot of wisecracking in voice over by the main character and with the lyrics in the now very well known theme song!

AS FOR THE general feel of the show, it did seem to be just a trifle tame; as compared to the comic book adventures. This sort of comparison may not be completely fair; but they are made and always will be.

IN OUR OWN humble opinion, the voice provided for Peter Parker/Spider-Man seemed to be just a little too mature. This is,of course, a small (even picayune) complaint and was not by any means, a major flaw.

OTHERWISE, THE VOICE actors did a fine job and were well cast in their characterizations of J. Jonah Jameson, Betty Brant and the others. This added to the use of many of "Spidey's" enemies from the comics (Green Goblin, Mysterio, Rhino), great stories and the original musical theme & incidental music all made for a most acceptable adaption.

TOPPING ALL OFF was the animation; while no 'FANTASIA" here, it is excellent for Television. Whereas MARVEL SUPER HEROES showcased the most beautiful artwork, skillfully copying it directly from comics page, its animation was extremely limited. SPIDER-MAN made up for the slack with its movement. And, when all is said and done, the name of the game is "Motion Pictures!"

"HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

NOTE: * Following the success of "BATMAN" (Greenway Prod./20th Century-Fox) on ABC in January of 1966, everyone jumped on the proverbial "Super Heroes Bandwagon." CBS had THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (later THE SUPERMAN-AQUAMAN HOUR OF ADVENTURE), the previously mentioned MARVEL SUPER HEROES Syndicated show and ABC's FANTASTIC FOUR and SPIDER-MAN. Other comic book-like characters also emerged; such as Hannah-Barbarra's SPACE GHOST and MIGHTY MIGHTOR.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Listen bud, he's got radioactive blood.
kal_el9127029 September 2001
Oh my mis-spent youth. It still feels like yesterday that I would tune in to Channel 32 in Chicago and watch the adventures of one of my favorite superheroes (cool is he is, Spiderman still can't surpass Superman or Batman though). It always amazed me how once Peter Parker donned the Spiderman mask, his voice automatically got deeper. To understand what I mean, you just need to imagine the voice of Burt Ward suddenly being replaced by Adam West. What's more, Spiderman actually had real-life problems. In addition to worrying about bad guys like Electro and the Green Goblin, Parker had to deal with his aging Aunt May, keeping his job at the Daily Bugle, and trying to land a date with Betty Brant. It's nice to see a superhero that also has to worry about paying the rent just like us schmoes. To sum it all up, Spidey taught me the truest of all comic book adages: "With great power comes great responsibility."
Dated Cartoon
Cheese Hoven29 July 2014
To start off with the good news. The music is great. The theme tune is a classic and the incidental music is memorable, if a little repetitious at times.

Next the animation, which is variable. Some of it is very good indeed, such as close up on Spiderman's hands and some of the scenes of him climbing walls are rendered with great attention to detail. We do not mind so much when these shots are re-used over and over again. Faces of characters are largely well done and simply, though effectively, animated. But lots of the animation is rather routinely done, static backgrounds or often no backgrounds and the same sequences re-used.

The voices are likewise variable. The main characters are good (although Spiderman's voice sounds too mature) but the villains are done in an over the top way.

But the real villain here are the story lines. Just because these cartoons were intended for children does not mean children should be treated as idiots. In the very first episode, for example, "The power of Dr Octopus" Peter Parker just happens to stumble upon Doc Ock's secret lair after his car falls off a mountain road! If this is not laughable enough, Betty Brant happens upon this lair too when looking for Peter.

OK for a nostalgia trip or for very undemanding kids.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hillariously Amazing... or the other way around!
maiquedi12 May 2012
OK, let's get things straight here: this might not be what you expect. This Spider-Man is ridiculous, the effects don't make any sense, it's completely bizarre to an unimaginable degree. Actually, other than the fact that it features many of our dear villains and beloved characters...

**********************************************POSSIBLE SPOILER?

...(but rarely Mary-Jane, which only appears on one episode, with no signs of Gwen Stacey from what I can remember)... ******************************************************END OF SPOILER

...and being accompanied by some AMAZING - no pun intended! - jazz soundtrack, this series is fun BECAUSE it's WACKY. Seriously, some of the effects are actually so bad they're extremely fun to watch. It might not be remembered for the "right reasons", but if something makes me laugh, it's a plus in my book!
Classic
ycam17 December 2010
The animation was not great by present standards, but through the age of 12 or so this series hit the spot. Further, though they leaned heavily on repeating with stock footage, most of it was pretty good and represented the action and strength of the character well. Every once in a while they turned the background sideways or something and achieved a startling effect without using new elements.

I love that Peter Parker sounds like a boy and Spidey sounds like a man. It's the uni, don't you know.

They best part for me is the theme song, one of the best of all time, and all of the incidental music (even the bulk of the special effects). Crime jazzy and dark. All of the episodes had great, swinging musical textures and overtones.

The Bakshi stuff is stellar. Really idiosyncratic and daring. Spidey ends up removed to different dimensions and levels of the earth, battling the supernatural than the super- villainous. The humans are generally pawns caught in a cosmic battle between good and evil and Spidey comes through, natch. The oft-referred to backgrounds (black, dark blue, purples, fiery reds, etc., were awesome, as were the castles and thorny, leafless backdrops (ala Sleeping Beauty). The color schemes were sickening (purple and off greens with splotchy reds and hints of bruisy yellow. Brilliant. The music also took a further leap from poppier crime jazz and soda stand teen rock to psych-out freak rock interludes, darker crime jazz, and even odd sci-fi and kraut-rockish stretches. Watch the first episode on disc 3 or 4, the one with the Mole Men. The music is absolutely incredible.

My two kids, 3 and 5, respectively, love these Spider-Man cartoons. They hold up for me, as well.