Georgy Girl (1966) Poster

(1966)

60s London well worth a (re)visit
warrenk-224 January 2006
I enjoyed "Georgy Girl" at the time of its original release, but hadn't thought about it until I recently viewed the DVD version. This revisit was well worth it: "Georgy Girl" is a delightful film.

Charlotte Rampling's Meredith is my favorite of the four main characters. Rampling has always been physically stunning, but it's her moody intellect within that keeps Meredith modern rather than a 60s icon who looks sensational in Mary Quant mini-dresses, a darker version of Julie Christie in "Darling" (a character who didn't have too much of a light side herself). Meredith is cool, in control, self-serving, brutal, and surprisingly honest about who she is. "You take me as me," she tells Jos (Alan Bates) as she cajoles him into marrying her, not so much because she's pregnant but because she's bored. It seems in Meredith's view, you can easily get rid of a pregnancy, but boredom requires more skill and is potentially a worse situation in which to find yourself. Other actresses could have successfully made Meredith a bitch, but Rampling makes her fascinating and thus strangely likable. When she exits the film, things go a bit limp, but then there's little left than to move the story to its inevitable conclusion.

Alan Bates plays Jos with such high physical and verbal energy he seems to be all the Marx Brothers rolled into one. His facial expression at the culmination of his strip during the 'I Love You' sequence suggested to me a nod to the great Harpo.

Lynn Redgrave made the role of Georgy so much her own it's difficult to believe the story that Vanessa Redgrave had been originally intended for it -- and even more difficult to imagine Vanessa playing scenes with Rampling.

The title song became a big hit at the time. In the film, the lyrics vary somewhat from the pop version, serving to set up the plot during the opening credits and then comment on its resolution at the end. In between, the song politely vanishes, leaving the classically influenced score by Alexander Faris to take over with its harpsichord riffs and its subtle playfulness. I especially liked the violin solo that accompanies the transition from orgasm to morning sickness.

The dialogue is often fast, overlapping, thrown away, or contains obscure (to me) cultural references, so it's worth enabling the English subtitles for DVD viewing. You wouldn't want to miss "Moss Bros", or Alan Bates' rapid-fire disrobing monologue, or Meredith's contempt for the concert at which she has just played violin: "Beethoven night. They're like animals."
46 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my personal cult movies
llips22 April 2002
Reviews seem to miss the real theme of this film, which is about the voyage of self-discovery of a person who feels out of sync with her world and tries to define, or redefine, her own true self. This theme has a strange attraction for me -- I identify with Georgy's search, I think, because of my own feelings of misalignment with the world or alienation. Unfortunately, as a male, it seems that the principal characters in films addressing this theme with sensitivity are invariably women. Perhaps in our society men are expected not to have such uncertainties about themselves or to suppress them, so no films are made. Two other films I enjoyed because of their similar themes are "Muriel's Wedding" and "Thelma and Louise". If you like, you can tell me I'm reading far more into this film than was ever intended, reminiscent of Mark Twain's famous warning. But you won't convince me! Alan
40 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey There, Georgy Girl! - What a Wonderful Story!
thursdays5 June 2004
Lynn Redgrave and James Mason are perfectly cast as the pudgy, ugly duckling Georgy and the lonely, aging millionaire who adores the young woman without means. Redgrave's roommate is a cold-hearted and embittered woman, who banks on her good looks to get her what she wants out of life. Although the roommate becomes pregnant by her fiancee, the young man soon realizes that he fancys the homely but sweet Georgy over the constantly complaining woman about to give birth to his child. The baby is born and is instantly rejected by the mother. Georgy is determined to protect the innocent child and to bring her up by herself, if she had to. The ending is one of my favorite film conclusions ever. You will not be disappointed!

This film was ahead of its time in 1966 England (and the world). Despite the progressive themes, both the film and its infectious theme song became enormous successes. If you know the song, look for a much more elaborate rendition in the film, featuring many extra lines. The same was done with the legendary "Song From Moulin Rouge" (1952). -- "Georgy Girl" receives my highest recommendation!*****
52 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
its time for jumping down from the shelf, a little bit
mosoul24 December 2004
Good performances from Redgrave, Mason, Rampling and Bates. A modest film that found international approval. In 1966, while it may have seemed shocking to hear UK girl Charlotte Rampling tell Alan Bates that she had "destroyed" two of his already, it's worth remembering that an American girl couldn't have a legal abortion unless there were extenuating circumstances. Roe v. Wade was still several years away. The wholesome longings of Goergie are sharply contrasted with her roommate, the ice cold Meredith. The lead was originally offered to Vanessa Redgrave and when she backed out her younger sister Lynne was cast. She was overwhelmingly brave playing Georgie as a girl you liked enough that when she does something embarrassing you can't help but flinch. It happens a lot. As she falls and fails she finds a life of her own. And that is oddly inspirational.
46 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its Alan Bates film.
petersj-221 October 2005
It was wonderfully interesting reading the reviews; even the ones I disagree with. All the performances are wonderful and as for the Seekers title song it will always give me goose bumps. I think its this movie that really introduced Alan Bates, at any rate I certainly sat up and noticed. I love his performance in this film. He is a rogue that you cannot help but fall in love with. I love the way the film opens especially the pulse of a London that has sadly long gone. Lyn Redgraves big production number is a real hoot and I agree with the comments about James Mason. What a gifted actor he was. Bates is however the real reason why I love the movie. I confess I had an enormous crush on Bates in this role and that scene when you see his bum as he gets out of the bath well, enough said. Lyn Redgrave, James Mason and the remarkable Rampling are all marvelous.
36 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
British Nouvelle Vague
Benedict_Cumberbatch11 February 2008
I watched this movie mostly for Lynn Redgrave, expecting nothing more than an old, light-hearted British comedy. It was better than I expected; "Georgy Girl" is a lovely, bittersweet dramedy clearly inspired by American screwball comedies of the 30's and the French New Wave that was burning in the 60's (to see how much the Nouvelle Vague aesthetics influenced British cinema, check the also remarkable "Two for the Road", with Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn).

Redgrave, fantastic as usual, plays Georgy, a scatter-brained working-class virgin with a golden heart. She shares a flat with a selfish, cold bitch (Charlotte Rampling), who gets pregnant of Jos (Alan Bates), and the three of them eventually move together; but things get complicated as Georgy is courted by Jos and James (James Mason), a much older man, at the same time.

Bates (is it just me, or does he look like Jean-Paul Belmondo - one of the greatest Nouvelle Vague icons because of Godard's "Breathless" - in this?), Rampling and Mason are all great in their respective parts, but this is Redgrave's show all the way. Her anti-heroine is sweet and memorable, somewhat similar to Toni Collette's Muriel Heslop (from "Muriel's Wedding"), some sort of a British, less patient and clumsier Amélie Poulain (Audrey Tautou). Georgy singing "Whole Lotta Woman" is a classic scene. Lynn's performance alone would make this movie worth seeing, but she's not the only good thing about it, just the core. 10/10.
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
overall, I recommend it
San779922 July 2005
Overall, I recommend this flick. I particularly liked the character of Georgy ...the way she tries to cover up any vulnerability with wit/ spunk..she MAKES the movie. But I can't help be bummed at the ending. Rationally, I approve of the ending, but find it disappointing at the same time..... It was more sensible,plausible and had more integrity than if they'd kept Georgy & Jos together...but...but... James Mason creeped me out through the whole movie (I mean, he watched her grow up..the old lecher!) and Alan Bates was soo ADORABLE (yes, he was selfish & immature too, I KNOW. He had potential for change??Maybe??) I supposed I'm just biased, Alan Bates (Alan Bates of the late '60s & '70s that is)being up there on my list of unconventional crushes.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"No matter what I want...God always has a custard pie up His sleeve."
moonspinner555 May 2009
Marvelous film, an extension of the British kitchen-sink dramas from earlier in the decade (but with a friskier spirit), introduced audiences to Vanessa Redgrave's kid sister, Lynn (in an Oscar-nominated performance). She's Georgina, a too-tall, plain and frumpy, kissless clown, a nursery school teacher who plays second-fiddle to her more beautiful flat-mate--and harbors a crush on her pal's sexy boyfriend in the bargain. While dodging the advances of her father's wealthy employer, Georgina also serves as nursemaid to her roommate when she becomes pregnant, never dreaming of the circumstances to follow. From Margaret Forster's novel, which she co-adapted with Peter Nichols, the film is visually alive, stylish and skittering about with "free and easy" abandon (yet with moral choices and a sobering heart at its center). Redgrave is nothing short of fabulous here; her "Georgy" is often slumped over sulking, an easy mark with little sense of humor--she's either completely inflexible or terribly over-eager. The writing is so clever and enticing for everyone on-screen that the supporting characters tend to upstage Redgrave (and, indeed, her moods are exasperating near the end), but Lynn is a wonderful presence. Also excellent: Charlotte Rampling as pregnant Meredith (who gets the film's most viciously funny lines), Alan Bates as her devilish lover, and James Mason as the older man who is the first to harbor a fancy for our heroine. A delightful bit of comedy-drama, one of the few from this era not to use 'mod' touches to set the time and place. It is as fresh and breezy today as in 1966. *** from ****
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I should see it again...
miriamkgross918 April 2008
This film gets seven out of ten on acting alone. James Mason is perfectly creepy, and yet you can still sympathize with him. Lynn Redgrave is just... perfect for the part. And Alan Bates.... yes I confess it, I had a crush on him too. Favorite scene: the alternating, silent close-ups between Georgy and Jos, as Jos slowly realizes that he is, in fact, in love with Georgy (before following her around half of London yelling "I love you!" at the top of his lungs!!!)

I seem to recall that the ending was somewhat disturbing for me when I originally watched it... I wonder how I would feel about it now. Most reviewers I've read seem to believe that Georgy has found herself in the end; I disagree. I leave individual viewers to make up their own minds.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Undiscovered witty girl kisses toad; later finally finds prince
knutsenfam24 May 2004
So fun! And a few other little gems in this mod 60's film!

Other reviews here will give you a plot overview. Basically Georgy is the fun, vivacious but unpopular girl who eventually gets some of her dreams, tho with a price.

I wouldn't have been allowed to see Georgy Girl when it came out. I was too young & the (by today's standards modest) 1960's bedroom scenes meant Mom would say "NO!" It's not a suitable family film.

But now---I'd love to watch it with my teenage daughter & comment on how Georgy --hardly noticed by her parents---chased by her parents' employer---and loved by a ne'er do well "Peter Pan" finally comes out rather well!

Georgy Girl is that odd little chick flick film where many of us women (girls) can identify with the fun, attractive, but slightly awkward lead, played marvelously by Lynn Redgrave. Some may root for Alan Bates' JOS character, but middle-aged me knows a "toad" --however handsome---when I see one.

And James Mason's "rich James Leamington" is a prince with some moral "warts" to work out... but I cheer for him, because he is (however he might disguise it) essentially a chivalrous man, a shy man who absolutely adores Georgina and, as she says to him "you said you would do anything for me" totally devoted to her...

Watch scenes where Mr. Leamington and Georgy's father discuss her. Watch Mason's facial expressions closely to see why he was Oscar nominated-- (the director was rather stingy with closeups in key moments).

Georgy's parents don't particularly like her---and see only the duckling and not the emerging swan.

Note that Georgy gradually assumes control of James, as she first shows fear when she sees Leamington, but later it's "Poor James". A foreshadowing of their future?

And I love it in the scene when Georgy (and James in top hat & fancy apparel) haul the baby carriage he was asked to buy for Georgy's adopted baby Sarah up the many stairs to her apartment.

She gets back at James by some cheeky comments in front of two proper elderly ladies. (Watch her interactions with both suitors... she can demonstrate wit and charm...)

Tho the Georgy Girl film theme song by the Seekers sneers at Georgy "...a little bit", I suspect this film was big because it struck a chord with so many girls & women. Sort of like the Janice Ian song "At Seventeen" in the 1970's.

Finally on DVD, but no "extras". But check Lynn Redgrave's site for more "Georgy" photos & info!
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly engaging and moving
groening-225 July 2006
A movie that starts and ends with an ingratiatingly contagious pop song would portend to be as substantive as a Fluffer Nutter sandwich. But Georgy Girl is surprisingly engaging, and tugs at far more profound emotions than those tapped by, say, Bridget Jones' Diary, which might be seen as a modern equivalent.

The song -- or actually, two different version of the same song -- is essential to understanding the movie, which makes one wonder which came first. Was the song inspired by the novel, or was it written for the movie? The opening, like a music video, introduces us to Georgina, or Georgy, and to her plight as a terribly un-chic 60s chick. But what makes Georgy interesting is that she clearly doesn't care that she's out of sync with Swinging London, circa 1966.

The timing of the film is also critical, just as it was with The Graduate. The London youth scene we are introduced to -- in black and white, no less -- is one in which conventional morals and values are being shed, yet there is still an innocence about it. The decadence that would taint the later '60s is hinted at in the troubles Georgy's roommate, the seemingly hip and carefree Meredith, faces in the latter half of the film. And the character of Jos, Meredith's boyfriend and then husband, also embodies the joie de vivre spirit of the day, but then crashes into the dead end that inevitably comes when a man lives like a child (even one of the flower variety).

Georgy's relationship with her father's employer, James (played by James Mason), is troubling in its incestuous overtones, but maybe the discomfort the viewer feels is intended.

My only gripe is that the conclusion of the film -- when we learn what Georgy is really all about, what she wants out of life -- is explained in the song, and not as clearly revealed in the plot or character exposition. But I suppose that lends a certain charm to the story, as if Georgy is indeed living inside a pop tune.

Georgy Girl, though very much of its time, is not dated, and explores choices we all make within a unique context, that of a moment in time when culture and values began tilting off their axis.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing offbeat British film.
sunznc13 May 2010
Georgy Girl is truly an amazing little film. What makes it stand out? The acting. These people are actors. Every actor training today should watch these people. Every glance, every laugh, every move these actors make is real and true and just perfect in it's delivery.

The story itself isn't really all that fascinating or attractive. There are some really odd characters here. One would think that Georgy, who is also odd, would want to run as fast as she can to get away from these people. But Georgy takes an awkward situation and turns it into something great for herself and her new baby.

Every person who has ever felt lonely or unappreciated despite how hard they try will probably find something here to identify with and that is one reason why people will love this film.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An anthem for heavy girls the world over
aromatic-26 March 2001
I was a teen when this first came out and as a little piglette, this movie struck a special chord with me. I saw it twice in the theatres, then did not see it again until about 3 months ago, and then again last night. It holds up wonderfully, both as an anthem and as a bizarre comedy-drama. Lynn Redgrave is magnificent in the title role, and Charlotte Rampling is nothing short of brilliant as her roommate Meredith. Alan Bates is equally brilliant in an eccentric supporting role. This is a marvelous time capsule, but the central elements still hold true today. See it.
28 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine drama with comical overtones
foz-324 June 2000
Alan Bates' eccentric performance outshines in this interesting and whimsical film. It is certainly an odd mix of drama and comedy as Bates never seems to act seriously around what essentially is a perverse story with cutting moments, particularly Charlotte Rampling's performance in the hospital after her baby is born. Redgrave is perfect as the dowdy and shy Georgie - like her description in the book, she appears plain but strangely attractive. Mason again appears as the downtrodden anti-hero, never quite getting what he wants at the end of the film - in this respect he always seems typecast. There's always something I like about these B/W 1960's films with their gritty London location filming and this one is no exception.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insightful, moving, crazy humorous, and smart black and white gem
secondtake11 December 2013
Georgy Girl (1966)

This is kind of a great movie. With some quirks that look like weaknesses. It's a serious funny drama. At times downright goofy, other-times clever even while horrible things are happening. As a look into the life and times of London early 1960s it's quite frank and playful.

The Georgy, played by Lynn Redgrave, is really amazing. She's a slightly plain girl, a tad overweight (at least according to those around her), and completely talented and fun. But she can't get a date, and this has worn her down into a despondency that she fights to overcome. Her roommate is the impossibly thin and attractive Charlotte Rampling (with a crazy hairdo), in just her second significant role in the movies. They support each other as great friends do, but there's no getting past the difference in how men see them.

One man in particular, Jos, played by Alan Bates, a British actor who never quite made a dent in the American scene, puts on a bravado performance. Which is both good and bad. He's so comic and hammy, which is a lovable part of his nature, he pushes credibility. There must be people so manic, but maybe he needs some other counterbalance, rather than ongoing comic relief. And yet, what a relief. He's quite fun, and the serious strains of the movie balance out well.

This serious strain is what makes "Georgy Girl" significant somehow. Because here is an actual insight into how a plain young girl tries to cope. And she does cope, somehow, making mistakes and feeling terrible about them and then cheering up because she knows somehow she needs to survive. And survive she does. It's really great.

The style of the film is still the British New Wave, coming at the tail end of the movement. It's black and white and filmed loosely. It tells a middle class story overall, and from a hand camera point of view. It's rather lovely filming, in fact, and if it ever gets a proper, crystal clear release that will be newly appreciated.

The final aspect of the film I have put off here, and it's where George Mason comes in. He plays the owner of the mansion where Georgy's parents work as servants. And he has had a lifelong appreciation (infatuation) with Georgy. Of course, he's an old fuddy (if handsome) and the idea that this is the type of man a kind of girl like Georgy should have (and can have) is the deepest sad pathos of the whole story. And it is punctuated with surprising sad drama at the end.

I don't think this is the best film of the era, but like "Alfie" and "Darling" from the same time and place, it's revealing and wonderful in its own ways. Contemporary music, issues like abortion and the sexual revolution, and the true generation gap are all central. The script is snappy and at times cynical. The score is a hoot—filled with symphonic sound tricks (like the tympani changing pitch) to cue the viewer. And there is the title song, a hit, and if you listen to the lyrics, a commentary of it's own, quite funny.

An under-appreciated film, for sure.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So ahead of its time
psylake1 January 2008
Georgy Girl is an amazing film that's was in the front of a new wave of more realistic, unblinking films by the Brits. The film doesn't flinch when depicting or talking about accidental pregnancy, abortion, mothers not interested in their babies. They're just a part of life, nothing to moralize about or to spotlight as big drama. Imagine any film from the U.S. in the mid 1960s taking on these issues at all, much less in the matter-of-fact way that Georgy Girl does. Georgy Girl and Darling strike me as two mid-60's British films that herald a new age--greater reality; women's freedom to choose partners and to define their romantic and sexual connections in their own way. Another very modern aspect of the film is the absence of any person taking the moral high ground; every character is on their own, and depicted irreverently, with warts, but also warmly.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
winning performances
SnoopyStyle18 January 2015
Georgina Parkin (Lynn Redgrave) is a chubby frumpy well-educated outgoing talented young lady. Her parents are live-in servants to rich businessman James Leamington (James Mason) who starts to have romantic feelings for her who he had known as a child. He's in a loveless marriage and wants Georgy to sign a contract as his mistress. She lives with beautiful flirtatious Meredith (Charlotte Rampling) who's dismissive of Georgy. Meredith finds that she's pregnant and figures marrying her boyfriend Jos Jones (Alan Bates) as something different. He moves in with Meredith and Georgy. James' wife dies.

Lynn Redgrave is adorably engaging as the chubby girl of the two. She is hilarious and perfectly reasonable why everybody loves her. Also she's so wacky as a character. It's a slice of swinging 60s London and the changing of the times. The rest of the characters are pretty horrible people which does tend to make the tone uneven. The performances are great. It's not all a light frolic. However there is nothing funnier than when James shows Georgy the contract for the first time.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun 1960's gem of a movie---great chick flick also. See it!
vanlee0010 July 2004
Fun, witty, but lonely girl (Georgy) must choose between two rather dubious "princes". She will also find her life's work. (Hint: Very politically incorrect work---but necessary!!!)

sound boring? The journey t here is so much fun!

One prince, when kissed, will turn into a "frog". Will she have the strength to discard her first love??? And what of young Sarah? Who will rescue her???

Yet, the other dubious prince offers her a better future. And I suspect he will improve in time...This movie was a huge hit -- I now suspect---because of all the girls/women who identified with "Georgy". Listen also how the hit song "Georgy Girl" (especially at movie's end) sneers at Georgy "...a little bit".

But Georgy makes the best choice possible and, one suspects, ultimately triumphs.

I haven't told you much. I could give it away. See the movie for yourself & be charmed. Also a great chick flick. Would bore little kids. A bit "risque" for its time, but it did receive honors from a religious association (because maybe of Georgy's choices???). When it FINALLY comes out in Us- DVD, I & my daughter will watch Georgy Girl together & discuss how one dtells the dif between "frogs" & "princes".
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lars made a mistake
coolbluegreen19 February 2005
Pretty much everything the reviewer Lars Ericson wrote about the atmosphere in Georgy Girl is true but he makes a serious mistake. Georgy NEVER gets knocked up by ANYONE in the movie. Her friend does. That is a matter of great importance to the plot. This is one weird film -- a product of its era, I guess. I have NO idea why Georgy or any woman would like Jos -- that character is just so irritating. Charlotte Rampling is beyond gorgeous. James Mason is good, Lynn Redgrave is entirely believable as an unbelievable character. I guess this was swinging London, although it doesn't look all that exciting to me, at least not if Jos's character is typical of the men at the time. Give me James Mason's character over Jos any day. Oh, the theme song is great -- and the lyrics really reveal how women were seen at that time.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think Freud would have something to say about this...
Sith_Elf25 October 2002
One lazy summer's day I watched this movie on the telly. Now I own it and always want to watch it. Alan Bates is the best actor for the part of complex Jos and Redgrave is superb. I enjoy the fact that a girl does not have to be a slut or look like one to "get the guy." James Mason is funny as hell and makes me wonder if there are men like him in the world in reality. A classic, a tear-jerker and a good laugh at the comedic timings.

I also reccommend reading the book by Margaret Forster to get inside Georgy's head better. "In Celebration" is another great film with Alan Bates.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I only rated it a 6 but certain moments in this film are very instructive
occupant-14 September 2001
A crazy-quilt plot and lack of any great quest prevent any major statement from being made here, but note Rampling's contribution as the girl who doesn't want her baby. She's playing an horrendous character but doing it flawlessly, displaying a technique I'd use if playing a villain - total disregard for any ethical concern! It's a hard frame of mind to portray for most people; here's a primer for actors presented with such a problem.

The stark sets and street shots, the crisp B&W contrasts and to an extent the costuming create a picture of London that's more comprehensive than neon-only Carnaby Street portrayals in other films.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey there, Georgy Girl!
nickandrew12 February 2004
Entertaining, poignant (but also out of the ordinary) comedy-melodrama. Redgrave is superb as a frumpy British girl who never could attract men, suddenly she has two chasing after her: rich, older Mason and Bates, who is her obnoxious roommate's husband. Title song by The Seekers is suitable for such a film. ***1/2 out of ****.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A true gem
tedr011329 January 2007
This is one of those films that is both hilarious and heart-breaking. Lynn Redgrave is perfect as Georgy, who is the dishworn sister of the mod cold-hearted Charlotte Rampling. With a heart as big as all outdoors, she goes through life being sought after by a very strange millionaire, played by James Mason, who wants her to be his mistress. Contracturally so. Eventually she falls in love with her sister's husband (the wonderful Alan Bates.) But more correctly, he falls in love with her. She falls in love with her sister's newborn baby who her sister will have nothing to do with.

The ending of the film is truly thought-provoking. Georgy ends up marrying Mason, though its very apparent that she doesn't love him. While she does love the baby, one is left with a feeling of sadness (contrasted with the very catch and jaunty title song). Georgy wants to be a mother rather than a lover and/or a wife. (Perhaps this is why she was attracted to Alan Bates, who is childishly whimsical.) You're left thinking that she could have more than what's she settled for and because you (the viewer) really like her, you're left disappointed.

I don't mean to imply that her choice of motherhood is at all wrong. its just she could have had motherhood and more.

There are times the movie is riotously funny and it is always touching. In the end, it is a movie that will stay with you,
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Half-a-loaf for "GG"
martyfrommiami22 February 2005
Caught Georgy on TCM the other night and have to agree with most of the previous comments here.

The Mrs. & I both were turned off by Alan Bates' grating, over-the-top, performance as the irresponsible Jos.

Plusses were Redgrave, Rampling and, of course, James Mason who, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the greatest actors ever; someone I could watch if he was just reading the phone book.

Also, that theme song is a winner.

But...besides Bates, the major defects reside in the plot: what the devil does a suave guy like Mason see in the frumpy, overweight, unattractive Redgrave that makes him want to draw up a "mistress contract" for her? Why Bates' sudden passion for Redgrave when he's ignored her sexually previously? And why, after a number of abortions, does Rampling suddenly decide to go ahead with this birth when she obviously has no intention of keeping the baby and/or giving up her wild swinging lifestyle in the first place? All a little too contrived for me.

However, I'd partially recommend this film if only for the performances (except Bates') and for the music.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disappointment
InigoDeMontoya18 June 2009
I was in high school when the movie came out but I was forbidden to see "Georgy Girl" as being too risqué in 1966 but I remembered the theme song fondly So when I inherited a VHS copy from my dad's movie collection, I thought I'd make up for a lost opportunity 40+ years later and my wife and I watched it the other night. Bleah.

A comedy? It lacks that quality of humor that the ancient Greeks called "being funny." The characters: Georgy (Lynn Redgrave), a homespun girl-next-door type, a bit frumpy, a bit overweight, a bit dim, and more than a bit self-pitying. She seems to occupy herself teaching some sort of creative movement/dance class for children age 8 and younger and one gathers the impression that that's about her intellectual limit.

Her roommate, Meredith, is a self-centered little tart whose life centers around the next party, the next man.

Her man of the moment, Jos, is a spineless, feckless, immature, serially inappropriate in multiple dimensions, toad with a constant appetite for sex (okay, he *is* male).

Georgy's father works as a chauffeur for James, a wealthy businessman of the staggeringly old (as portrayed in the film) age of 49-almost-50 who wants Georgy to become his mistress.

There are none of these characters that you willingly identify with, sympathize with, or otherwise root for.

With the theme song as a touchstone and Georgy's frumpy looks, I suppose I was waiting for a "Pygmalion" story that never happened. Instead, we were treated to inane people making a squalid bunch of life.

Even the closing credits were a disappointment because the theme song comes back with a verse that either I had never heard or else had never registered before, a verse where Georgy is told, "Hey, even if it's not so great, at least you're now married to a millionaire." Bleah. In short, this movie sucks dead fish with a straw (this is a cinematic critical term).
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.