Star Trek (TV Series 1966–1969) Poster

(1966–1969)

Where None Have Gone Since '69
Bogmeister22 July 2005
The original Trek series established, within it's brief 3-year span, the panorama of an ever-expanding Federation of planets & civilizations, of which Earth was, in the 23rd century, a founding member (tho the audience never saw Earth during this run, except in time travel stories back to our 20th century). This series also presented mankind as, first & foremost, explorers, embodied by the trio of dynamic captain James T. Kirk (Shatner), his number two, science officer Spock (Nimoy) and irascible but kindly Dr.McCoy (Kelley) - but Spock was, of course, an alien (a Vulcan), an example of the alliances Earth held with many extraterrestrial races. They operated from a magnificent starship, Enterprise (one of several such ships in Starfleet), with a crew of about 400. Creator Roddenberry used the series as a platform to address many social & political concerns of the time. The general consensus of most familiar with the show is that the 1st & 2nd years were superior; the 3rd suffered in the writing & budget dept's.

The best episodes: "City on the Edge of Forever"-Kirk almost sacrifices Earth's history for the love of a woman. Almost, and he might've done so had he known her a little longer; "Mirror,Mirror"-4 members of the crew switch places with their counterparts in a parallel universe, where the Federation is a hostile Empire; "Space Seed"-the crew awaken Khan, an old-time conqueror boosted by eugenics, who returned in the 2nd Trek film("The Wrath of Khan"); "Arena"-Kirk battles a lizardian captain of an unfriendly race on a desolate asteroid; "The Naked Time"-the crew lose their inhibitions, back when this was original; "This Side of Paradise"-another one with everyone affected emotionally and forgetting their mission; "The Trouble With Tribbles"-hugely entertaining romp on a space station; "Shore Leave"-another romp on a weird planet; "Journey to Babel"-Enterprise hosts ambassadors, Spock's parents included, dealing with intrigue & politics; "Where No Man Has Gone Before"-the 2nd pilot which green-lit the series and the 1st with normal humans acquiring godlike powers; "The Enemy Within"-examines duality of human nature; "The Doomsday Machine"-space epic about a huge alien weapon destroying planets; "Amok Time"-detailed look into Vulcan customs; "Balance of Terror"-warships testing each other in space,introducing the aggressive Romulan race; "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"-answering all questions on androids; and "The Devil in the Dark"-which shows you cannot judge monsters by appearance.

As the list above demonstrates, all the concepts we have come to know in later films and series (Next Generation,Deep Space 9,Voyager) were laid out just fine in the late '60s by some inventive writing (the first film to follow this, for example, merely reworked the episode "The Changeling" with a $50 million budget). The 2nd season also ended with a pilot for an unrealized spin-off "Assignment:Earth" which would have focused on human agent of aliens 'Gary-7' in the present day. It was back then, also, that omnipotent beings, such as "The Squire of Gothos" and the Organians ("Errand of Mercy"-which introduced Klingons) popped up to work miracles. The final 3rd season show ended things on a hysterical note as Kirk's body was taken over by an unbalanced woman - quite unPC these days but nonetheless intriguing & entertaining. The series was followed 4 years later by an animated version, which took place during the same mission. Finally, I'm still struck, or starstruck, by how, after all this time, it was this show that convinced me we really were on a huge ship traveling in space - more so than the later sophisticated shows (TNG) or the movies. Yes, the original is still the best, and it's easy to see why.
101 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The magic was in the interaction between the characters.
whitikau25 November 2003
I have loved Star Trek since I first watched it as a child. However, the series which followed - Star Trek: TNG, Star Trek: Voyager, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Enterprise - although generally still entertaining, seem to me to have left out the element which made the original series so special. Namely, the interaction between the characters, particularly Spock, Jim, and Bones.

So well written, and generally well acted.

With Bones (Dr Leonard H McCoy) being the opposite to Spock in terms of personality, so that the two of them always found something to argue about. Jim (Captain James T Kirk) in the middle, as a referee, displaying faults and strengths taken from both extremes. Extremes in the sense of McCoy being a very caring, compassionate, yet also highly emotional character. Representative of humanity, perhaps. Spock, the dry, cold, logical, emotionless Vulcan. Jim "a man of deep feelings", as Spock once said, yet also no stranger to thorough analysis of whatever situation the crew found themselves in. Bones seeking always to heal, to return everybody he met (whether friend or foe, human or otherwise) to as close to perfect health as possible. Frustrated by the fact that he (Bones) could not fully understand, for example, Spock's Vulcan anatomy. All three of them the closest friends. All three displaying unwavering loyalty toward each other - even though Spock would have found the suggestion of his displaying such a human quality to be insulting.

The dynamics involved, the interaction, led to brilliant moments of humour. A science fiction programme to be not only enjoyed for the imaginative stories and the themes, but also for the humour, for the humanity.

Which is not to suggest that the other characters were in any way second rate. Scotty's loyalty and his supreme confidence in his engineering abilities, Chekov's almost adolescent playfulness and humour, Sulu's loyalty, honour, and physical prowess, Uhura's dedication to duty and femininity in a masculine world, all added important and welcome elements to what I still consider to be the best science fiction television series ever.

The special effects were often laughable, the sets cheap and often reused, but the humanity, the character interaction, the stories, imagination, the brilliant writing... all added up to something very special indeed.
72 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best science fiction series ever, notable for character interactions
roghache17 May 2006
In our household we are all Trekkies, so the ongoing adventures of the Federation Star Ship Enterprise constantly enthrall us. My husband will stubbornly watch only TOS, while my teenage son feels nostalgic about TOS, but secretly prefers Voyager. As for myself, while I find some of the Next Generation plots compelling and enjoy the dangerous drama of Voyager stranded in the Delta Quadrant, there's nothing quite like the characters from TOS. The series has an innocence about it unmatched in the later ones. My compliments to the late Gene Roddenberry, Star Trek's creator.

Captain James T. Kirk is the audacious, impulsive, and womanizing Enterprise commander. In almost every episode he has some gorgeous new love interest, seldom exhibiting much restraint! Kirk frequently engages in physical hand to hand combat with his opponents, torn shirt & sweat being common. Yet he does manage to come up with some bold and brilliant moves such as his legendary ruse, the Corbomite Manouever. Perhaps his primary task is serving as referee between the constantly sparring First Officer Spock and ship's doctor, Bones McCoy.

The heart of the series is Mr. Spock, the half Vulcan First Officer and ship's Science Officer. Actually however, Spock would maintain that he is the HEAD of the series, since he prides himself on his unfailing logic and lack of emotion. The inner conflict between his logic driven paternal Vulcan half and his emotional maternal human half form an ongoing theme. Spock possesses two useful Vulcan abilities, the neck pinch and the mind meld. The most engaging character interaction is between the logic motivated Spock versus the highly emotional ship's physician, Dr. Leonard (Bones) McCoy, who is basically a country doctor in space, a humanitarian leery of all this newfangled gadgetry. McCoy is famous in the Trek world for his expression, 'I'm a doctor, not a ----' (many phrases have been used here).

Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott is a hot tempered Scotsman with a fondness for his native country's whiskey. Scotty constantly bemoans that he 'cannae change the laws of physics' all the while working assorted engineering miracles with the warp core and anti matter this or that. As for Communications Officer Uhura, she is most notable for her regular phrase, 'Hailing frequencies open, Sir.'

To be sure, some of the episodes have less than brilliant plots, notably Spock's Brain, though the character interactions always compensate for any inadequacies. However, some ideas were masterful, including The Enterprise Incident, The Menagerie, and City on the Edge of Forever. The series took on issues of overpopulation (The Mark of Gideon), social class disparity (The Cloud Minders, with its clever cloud city, Stratos), and racism (Let That Be Your Last Battlefield), which involves laughable hatred between two races, one black on the left side & white on the right, the other race vice versa. I personally enjoyed The Naked Time (Nurse Chappel admits her love for Spock), A Taste of Armageddon (computer war), This Side of Paradise (Spock frolics), and Is There in Truth No Beauty? (the Medusan ambassador's incredible ugliness causes madness in the hapless onlooker). However, my absolute favourite is unquestionably the absurd Amok Time, with Spock's ridiculous pon farr mating strife.

The Enterprise crew consists of a racially diverse group, with its black Communications Officer Uhura and Oriental helmsman Sulu. The ship's navigator, Chekov, is Russian...quite a revolutionary idea for that Cold War era. The cast are perfect in their roles, including William Shatner (Kirk), Leonard Nimoy (Spock), and all the others. Special tribute to the late Deforest Kelly (McCoy) and James Doohan (Scotty), who are sadly missed.

This is the series that gave us such technologies as the transporter, tricorder, and cloaking device...high tech weaponry including phasers and photon torpedoes...futuristic games like three dimensional chess...miracle drugs such as cordrazine...and gourmet delicacies like Saurian brandy & Romulan ale. Some of the gadgetry gave a sneak preview of such later real life technology as computer floppy discs.

In addition to the highly logical Vulcans, Star Trek gave us glimpses of such alien species as the honour driven Klingons and the sneaky Romulans (the Federation's two primary enemies), also the xenophobic Tholians, the reptilian Gorn, and many others. It treated us to the endearing rock like, silicon based Horta and the cute & fuzzy but all too prolific Tribbles (which caused no end of Trouble). And it acquainted us with such planets as Sarpeidon, Eminiar & Vendikar.

In the episode Metamorphosis, we were all introduced to the heroic Zephram Cochrane who invented the warp drive way back in 2063. In constant demand is the dilithium vital to the warp engine's functioning. Star Trek also acquainted us with the United Federation of Planets, Starfleet & Starfleet Academy, and the Federation's much vaunted strict rule called the Prime Directive, which is frequently mentioned but universally ignored!

Star Trek is simply an incredibly fun and entertaining science fiction series, though it was hardly appreciated back in the 1960's when it originally aired. Fortunately, it lives on today in re runs, giving Trekkies the ongoing excitement of regularly 'boldly going where no man has gone before'. Live long and prosper, everyone!
116 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why didn't they install seatbelts?
grendelkhan11 May 2004
Ah, yes; the "granddaddy" of all Treks! The place where we got our first glimpse of the future. Apparently, mini-skirts would be back in style and everyone would wear their pajamas at work. Also, a goatee signified evil.

When I was a kid, the series was the coolest; lots of action, some humor, weird aliens, etc. When I was older, it was still entertaining. Some episodes held up very well, with the outstanding writing making more of an impression. Some things were fairly silly, and some were downright goofy.

Although never blessed with the greatest budget, the show put as much money on the screen as it could. For the time and for television, the effects were pretty good, aside from the bridge shaking stuff. The exteriors tended to get a little repetitive; it seems that the galaxy looks a lot like southern California and a studio interior. The styrofoam geological forms were quite interesting.

To me. this is still the best series. Yes, Next Gen had better acting (at least from Patrick Stewart) and better effects, but this series was more fun. These guys didn't sit around in conference rooms while the Romulans were firing on their ship. There was no technobabble while the engineer reconfigured the microwave oven to create a transwarp carbourator inversion and emit a tachyon diode stream. Nope, Scotty just crossed a couple of wires and then BLAMMO! Kirk got more action than any of the other skippers, and Spock was more fun than Data. Of course, the women weren't very emancipated, but that still hasn't changed as much as the producers like to claim, in later series.

To sum it up, you just can't beat Trbbles, Klingons with smooth foreheads, green women, and planets with Nazis and gangsters. I'll take the Squire of Gothos over Q any day (yes, I've read the Peter David book). My only quibble is that no one ever thought to put seatbelts on the bridge. Wasn't there some 23rd Century Ralph Nader around? And with all of Kirk's "friends" throughout the galaxy, is anyone else surprised we have only come across one child of his? I have a feeling he kept going on missions to avoid process servers.
125 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE ONE THAT STARTED IT ALL.
mack31759 June 2002
This show changed the way we looked at science fiction forever. Before there was The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and the prequel Enterprise. There was Captain James T. Kirk and crew on the Starship Enterprise. Exploring new worlds and new life. Traveling through time and space. Leonard Nimoy is great has Mr. Spock, the half human/half alien science officer and second in command. Deforest Kelly is also great Has Dr. Leonard Bones Mccoy, our favorite whiney Doctor, who came out with favorite sayings like "He's dead Jim" and "I'm a Doctor not a brick layer". The special effects may have seemed hoaky at times. But the show was still great in it's day. Gene Roddenberry was a genuis when he created this show. The show was well acted by everyone . So Star Trek fans live long and prosper.
75 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low tech high quality Sci Fi
macbug27 December 2008
One must remember that Star Trek was made as a for profit network TV. The amount of money and total lack of any computer aided special effects. Was the norm, it a call for innovation, creativity, thinking outside the box, in fact they did not even have a box. So remember 10 years before Star Wars, Ten years before the the first Apple Computer, during the Civil Rights movement, during the peak of the Viet Nam War, Before man had set foot on the surface of the moon, a man name Roddenberry had a vision to " Go where no man went before". Exploring social issues, with appearances by some of the days leading actors, and actresses. Star Trek in a way is a time warp of the mid 1960's. The styles and culture are mixed in series. Indian mysticism, invaded the series just like the white album. I believe the most diverse cast and characters in the history of TV. The one high tech aspect of the show is and was it was filmed in color when few people owned color TV's. Live long and prosper.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Stuck in the Sixties
billgbg28 April 2005
Does anyone need an introduction anymore to this great series? In the beginning Desilu said yes to the budget and schedule of Roddenberry only because there were many space stories being pitched and picked up in the mid-sixties, and this was going to be theirs. NBC used Star Trek to compete with Lost in Space, which was already on CBS the year before.

NBC being the all color network made the series very high key in lighting and primary-colored in the uniforms and the instrument displays, to better sell color TV at the time.

There were so many innovations shown on the screen from Dr.McCoy's diagnostic helpers to the auto door movements to hand communicators, transporters, phased light weapons, all of which impressed viewers. Added to that, they all seemed like they really worked!

People have said that Star Trek was the first to show an alien working harmoniously on a space crew and this is not fully true. You might laugh now, but in 1950 there was a very popular, well written, well acted radio and TV series called "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" that had that very element working for it. Nothing much was very ground breaking on that show except that the acting was a cut above other shows. Roddenberry did go a few steps farther with Star Trek, adding a multi-racial crew and women having real authority as crew members or aliens.

Prior to Star Trek, the "alien" or "other" was a concept meant to inspire fear and justify violence. However it seemed that the series delighted in reversing this. Repeatedly the aliens are shown to be less dangerous than thought: the Talosians want the best for Capt. Pike, Balok isn't so bad, the Salt Creature is meant to be pitied, and so on. However if the villain was inanimate or a Frankenstein composed of man's ignorance, say NOMAD or the Planet Killer, then all violence the Federation can muster could be justified.

For my money Roddenberry, who appeared to be a casting couch throwback producer from an "Ed Wood" era, accomplished nothing so amazingly wonderful prior to Star Trek, and certainly nothing afterward that ever surpassed this singular achievement. He fought to keep Mr. Spock in the show and oversaw all the writing for a stable consistency,(I'm not a Harlan Ellison fan), so from this perspective, you could say he was born to create Star Trek then step off the stage. His whole life after Trek seemed warped by the show's gravity, and often he was pulled back into it for the 1987 follow on series and the first round of feature films.

Some audience members may prefer TNG, or the feature films. They may look back at the 1966 debut of Star Trek as merely "the future looked a lot like the Sixties". But why is it that the pure human emotions in those 79 episodes still attracts new converts? There must be something there that's communicating beyond the show's original five year mission. Star Trek still works as an adventure; one that considers human drama primary. That is unusual for any science fiction based story, wouldn't you say?
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Truly Wonderful Series
Sargebri6 May 2003
This has to be one of the greatest series in history. I really enjoy watching a lot of the episodes especially those from the second and third seasons when Chekov was on and the supporting cast really became complete. I especially loved the episodes that dealt with what happens when someone upsets the natural course that a planet goes on (eg. "A Piece of the Action"). In the case of those episodes, usually someone wants to help a planet achieve its destiny at a faster rate or leaves a form of literature or technology behind leading to disastrous results as was the case with the Ekosians who followed the Nazi model or the world that used the model of 1920's Chicago to base their societies on. This pretty much is a moral for any world including our own and how we should leave not only people follow their own path but let nature take it's own path.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Landmark for Mainstream Science Fiction
mstomaso4 June 2007
Commonly known as "The Original Series", those of us engaged in an unhealthy obsession with Star Trek refer to it as TOS. TOS, began under the creative influence of Gene Roddenberry, with a brilliant,complex and intellectual pilot known as The Cage. The Cage proved to be too much for network TV. The first pilot was about as complex as a few episodes of Twin Peaks and almost as edgy. Plus it included a woman in a command position (Majel Barret or Majel Leigh Hudec, who later married Gene Roddenberry and eventually became Nurse/Dr. Christine Chapel, the voice of most of Star Trek's computers and Deanna Troi's mom in the Next Generation). The only major character who was consistent between The Cage and TOS was Spock (Leonard Nimoy's half-Vulcan science officer).

Roddenberry and his collaborators did not lose hope, and took the advice of the networks seriously - shooting a second pilot with William Shatner replacing Jeffrey Hunter as the captain. The second pilot was later recycled as the episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before". The first, was reused and retold in the great two part episode "The Menagerie".

To put it simply, TOS revolved around three main characters and a strong supporting cast. The three principal cast members were Captain James T Kirk (William Shatner, who previously made a major mark in Roger Corman's excellent "The Intruder") - an intelligent, courageous, humanitarian and righteous leader with an occasional tendency to bend the rules in order to get positive results; Mr. Spock (Nimoy)- Kirk's first officer and scientist, a brilliant half-human, half-Vulcan male who can calculate complex math in his head and see the logical path in any situation; and Dr. McCoy (veteran character actor Deforest Kelley)- a crusty, likable southern gentleman and expert surgeon.

Women and non-whites were better represented in positions of respect in this show than most of what appeared on TV before it, and the show presented through demonstration (as opposed to rhetoric) an earth which was united, interested in diversity, and rationally governed by an interplanetary Federation founded by humans and their Vulcan allies.

One of my favorite and most memorable Star Trek memories is when I learned the story of how the great Whoopie Goldburg was inspired by seeing a black woman (Lt Uhura, Nichelle Nichols) in a position of power on the bridge of the Enterprise, and even more inspired by the fact that a black woman was acting in a respectable major supporting role on a network TV show! Whoopie was apparently so indebted to TOS that she all but volunteered to play the important recurring role of Guinan in The Next Generation. It is also great to learn of the many members of NASA who cite TOS as one of their major career influences.

The world of TOS is, of course, not the world we live in, but rather a world in which humankind has a bright future and the possibility of living to our highest potential as explorers, scientists, and enlightened beings. Yet, despite the hope represented in this future, TOS' characters face many of the same problems we face today - prejudice (Devil in the Dark, Errand of Mercy, Enemy Within, others), militarism (Errand of Mercy, Balance of Power, etc); the conflict between self and society (City on the Edge of Forever, etc); technological advance and social change (Ultimate Computer, The Changeling, etc); Cultural conflict (almost every episode, but especially Amok Time, The Tholian Web, Journey to Babel, The Corbomite Maneouver) and religion (many episodes, especially Who Mourns for Adonais, Amok Time and The Squire of Gothos).

In creating this expansive and ever-expanding universe, the creators of TOS provided ample territory for allegoric examination of contemporary problems,without privileging any particular political or philosophical tradition over another.

TOS featured generally good writing (though not as consistently good as that of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), wildly experimental plots, consistent characterization, and a moderate and very well-used budget. The special effects are dated, and are really just adequate to convey the meaning, but unlike a lot of contemporary sci-fi, the stories, characters, acting and directing overshadow the special effects completely - rendering them somewhat irrelevant.

The show's great themes, and the entertaining way in which is explores them has changed the mainstream approach to science fiction in more than just the television medium. TOS took itself seriously, and attempted to create serious drama seasoned with occasional humor, and more than its fair share of humanism and romance. Like the show, the characters were well imagined, well-developed, and intelligent. The starship Enterprise - also wonderfully detailed - did not carry any ballast in its crew. The crew showed many different kinds of people working together - united only by the desire to explore and learn, by rationality and discipline, and by a sense of purpose far higher than simple self-interest.

What an inspiring vision of human life.

As German pop musician Nena once said "We are all a Captain Kirk" -

...well.... maybe some day.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic Cult-Series
claudio_carvalho27 October 2005
Here I am, thirty and something years later, watching again this classical cult TV series, now on DVD. In the 70's, I felt in love for "Star Trek" in network television, becoming a great fan of this series. Later, with VHS and cable TV, I taped all the episodes. Along the last years, I bought some episodes on DVD, released in USA. And now, I have just bought the three seasons on Brazilian DVD.

I have just finished watching the First Season, and I was amazingly excited watching again (how many times? I can not even guess…) the journeys of the USS Enterprise, commanded by her powerful Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner, a horrible actor that shines in this role) and his number one, the bright Lt. Commander Spock (Leonard Nimoy). Together with the sentimental Lt. Cmdr. Leonard H. 'Bones' McCoy, M.D (DeForest Kelley), the command of the starship has strength, brain and feelings, as if they were a perfect man. They boldly go with the millions of worldwide viewers where no man has gone before.

The First Season on DVD has eight DVDs, with twenty nine episodes and the following Extra: "The Birth of a Timeless Legacy" ("O Nascimento de um Legado Histórico"); "Life Beyond Trek: William Shatner" ("A Vida Depois de Jornada: William Shatner"); "To Boldly Go – Season One" ("Audaciosamente Indo – Ano Um"); "Kiss 'n' Tell: Romance in the 23rd Century" ("Beijar e Falar: O Amor no Século 23"). My favorite episode of this season is "The Menagerie – Parts I and II", with the eternal Captain Christopher Pike. My vote is ten.

Title (Brazil): "Jornada nas Estrelas" ("Star Trek")
35 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining and well thought-out
phills113 December 2006
Star Trek first came on TV here in Australia in 1968. I was a ten-year-old kid, and I thought it was great, but of course at that age, I missed the point of the social comment and deeper messages, and just got caught up in the fantasy. Over the years, I have re-watched most of the old episodes a few times and as an adult, I can see how well thought-out the show was, particularly when you consider much of the rest of 1960's television. Although I always liked to watch the original "Star Trek", I just can't get into the modern ones, although there is one spin off version that seems to explore the personal relationships a bit more, a concept that I find interesting. I think it's "Deep Space Nine", and I saw part of an episode of it one time, where one of the characters was talking to another about planning to spend some recreation time with the ship's resident Vulcan. The second character appeared unimpressed, and made a comment along the lines of "You know, Vulcans aren't really known for their engaging personalities".

However, some people get a little too carried away by the Star Trek phenomenon.

I found a book at a second book sale a few years ago that was a collection of articles from a magazine put out by a Trekkers organisation in the 70's. The extent that some people are into Star Trek is, frankly, disturbing.

There was a forum in the magazine in which a contributor was carrying on about how the corridors in the original Enterprise were too big to be realistic(!).

You see, when the sets were made in 1964, they had to accommodate 1960's TV cameras that were fairly bulky, so the corridor sets had to be made big enough to accommodate those large cameras. The book points that out.

This particular writer was saying that "Don't they realise that every cubic inch of air in a spacecraft has to be purified, etc, ... ..., blah blah, and space is a luxury, ... ... , blah blah, blah, ... ... , so how could they think that the designers of the Enterprise could get away with all that wasted space?"

This fellow was so-o-o indignant about that, but he accepted that they could beam each other up and down from planets, that Vulcans from another planet light-years from earth spoke in an English language that included "Thee", "Thy", and "Thou", as Vulcan's do on their own planet in the original series, or that the Enterprise could travel at speeds greater than light. He just focused on those big corridors, forgetting that 200 years ago, aluminium was a precious metal, and now we wrap our lunch in it, so that in 200 years from now, when the Enterprise is purported to exist, the technology they have may allow spaceships to have all the wasted space they want. Some people.. .. .. .
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It really was the best
zapdude12 July 2002
The best because when TOS was being produced, there WAS nothing else to compare it to.

To create Star Trek, an entire universe was created, and with the exception of occasional glitches, they remained consistent to that universe. I will agree with other reviews here in observing that the best part of TOS is that each episode stands alone. I never liked the "ongoing saga" aspect of TNG or DS9, and to a lesser extent, Voyager.

My personal favorites were "Wink of an Eye" and the one where Kirk gets hit on the head on a planet and lives like a Native American Indian, gets married, etc., is called Kirok, and at the end she dies. Oh, I also like the one where the transporter splits people into good and evil... that's great fun!

Just like other shows that I personally like, the best part is the sort of cartoon-like quality for each character. Each individual is strongly typed, you can usually predict how each character will react to a given situation. The writers merely needed to invent a situation, and the rest wrote itself.

This is a relic of the 60's, a way of behaving that nobody glorifies anymore. Nowadays, people constantly "reinvent" themselves. All of the characters in TNG changed over the years the show ran, their actions and reactions altered over time.

But Kirk is always Kirk, and Spock is always Spock, all of the TOS characters were so solid.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"City on the Edge of Forever" represents terrific time-travel drama in the grand old Star Trek tradition. 10/10.
lizziebeth-111 April 2003
Guess who the single-most recognized personality the world-over REALLY is? Not Usama BinLaden, but Capt. Kirk.

By consensus, City on the Edge of Forever is The Original Series(TOS)'s most-loved episode. It's high drama; a rather Shakespearian exploration of time travel, penned by serious s/f writer Harlan Ellison. It plays like a feature film. If anyone gets the courage (Hollywood is still terrified of the wrath of Star Trek fans), it SHOULD be remade as one.

In "City", Capt. Kirk and Mr Spock (it's `Mr', OK? -`Mr' Spock; get it right) are credibly compelled to travel back in time; they must put right the change in history that Leonard `Bones' McCoy, the ship's doctor, caused in his cordrazine-demented state. The good doctor obliterated their timeline so nothing of the UFP or Enterprise exists anymore!

Curious instrument-readings had lead them to an unknown planet. `Somethin--or someone--on this planet can effect changes in time, causing turbulent waves of space-displacement', observes Spock, as they rock the ship. While trying to plot the turbulence from orbit, passing through ripples in time, one of those ship-quakes causes the ship's experienced surgeon to accidentally inject himself(!) with a full hypospray of cordrazine. Characteristically for the overdose, he no longer recognizes his shipmates as friends but as `murderers and assassins'.

His psychosis is only temporary, but lasts long enough for McCoy to transport down to the very object of their search: the Guardian of Forever, an apparent rock archway on the planet. Unfortunately the thing is ripping through time (centuries in seconds), inconveniently fast for a human lifespan. In protective hot pursuit, the landing party follows McCoy to The Guardian.

Ever the scientist, upon discovering and marveling at the source of the time-displacements, Spock berates himself: `I....am a fool! My tricorder is capable of recording even at this speed! I've missed taping centuries of living history which no man before has ever...' and then the cornered McCoy leaps past him, back through time. This is the only time in the series that Spock actively berates himself. It opens the door for Kirk's chiding Spock's scientific prowess in building a video player(!) `with nothing but stone knives and bearskins' in that `zinc-plated, vacuum-tubed culture' they've followed the frenzied McCoy to: Depression-Era America.

As they desperately try to predict McCoy's arrival, Kirk and Spock meet Edith Keeler(Joan Collins) still at a very anonymous stage of her future political-activist career. What happens to history, and Enterprise, as they acclimate to Edith Keeler's homeless mission still packs a punch 37yrs later.

Look for Kirk's double-entendre (but you must watch the WHOLE SCENE with Edith Keeler, as it plays off the sexual tension): `We have a flop, Mr Spock'. `-We have a what, Capt'n?' `A place to sleep.' `-....One might've said so in the first place'.

The undeniable chemistry between Collins and Shatner, much to the chagrin of Bill's LEGIONS of detractors, I'm certain is responsible for the indubitable success of the drama. ST was always treated by cast and crew as serious science-fiction. To her credit, Collins joined their Trek seriously, but sadly only for this outing. Her career might've been far more acclaimed had she become a regular.

Small wonder that `City' is the single-most popular episode of the original series, and it comes very close to taking the cake from ALL the many incarnations since! ST was at its best combining intellectual curiosity+sense of wonder with challenges to the heart. The humour was always just icing.

The other two main contender episodes for that level of praise-from ST(TOS)-are Bill Shatner's personal fave, `The Devil in the Dark' (and were it not for the awful display of male arrogance-and-ignorance by all the miners, I would agree with Shatner); plus David Gerrold's classic gag entry from ST's 2nd season, `The Trouble with Tribbles'(1967).

`Tribbles' has an important ecological message that was very sophisticated for its time (ie that animals coexist in ecological balance, and Heaven help you if you mess with that), couched in impish, trilling, and fuzzy, tribble-like humour; but because it doesn't challenge our ethics and hearts all that much, `Tribbles' can't win `Best ST Episode' even though it's A LOT OF FUN.

`Devil', written by legendary ST honcho-producer Gene Coon, was about human/alien humility. Human judgements, eg of beauty, should never be applied to aliens. `Ugly' is no reason to judge foreigners-or actual aliens-as stupid/less worthy. Information is a far better arbiter. Replete with positivism and 1960s churlish greed, `Devil' was also a precursor to Alien(1979), albeit about a `nice' alien: the Horta was a (midget-scuttling-under-a-)very-unattractive(-carpet)/highly intelligent mother of a dying race. Mr Spock's ecological sensitivity shines well to this day, compared to the miners' brutality.

`Devil' was also lore-establishing for its depiction of Dr McCoy's distrust of transporters, and his appellations that he was `a DOCTOR, not a....'-in this case `not a bricklayer'; the best punchline to the joke he EVER produced.

The only thing that irked me about `Devil' (apart from the laughably cheap set design) was the script's obtuseness about the economical value, even then(!!), of silicon. (The plot is predicated upon a bandwagon theory, that life could be based on non-Carbon elements; but to pick SILICON was unfortunate, since it was already the chief source material for semiconducting transistors in 1965!) Double-D'Oh!!!

`City' has no such hindsight embarrassments. Instead, it reveals the rich and trusting relationship between Kirk and Spock as they take turns at solving puzzles and support each other's dignity. They still tease each other, esp. poor Spock about his alleged vulnerability to (human) sentimentality (which he takes as mild insults), and about his ears, which during the first season was still a novelty to audiences. How quickly things change.

In my estimation, only ST-Voyager produced similar integration of science, wonder, philosophy, humour AND devastating drama. With `Eye of a Needle', `Distant Origin', `Drone', `Ashes to Ashes', and possibly `Timeless', ST-Voyager came close to replicating the emotional impact of ST-TOS' `discovery science' fiction.(10/10)
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like Forbidden Planet, a Most-Copied Masterpiece; Still the Standard in Sci-Fi
silverscreen8883 September 2005
The science fiction series "Star Trek", called TOS (The Original Series) since its 1966-1969 three-season run on NBC-TV because there have been four other "Star Trek" series, has been made the biggest success of any re-run series in television history. Its re-run profits have been misused, in my view, by those who had nothing to do with the series' creation to set up the Fox Networl; in addition, novels of an authorized and of independent versions have been allowed to be published, many products have been created and sold, ranging from die-cut models to calendars, and a series of more than half-a dozen films have been made as features. But the nature of the series I argue has neither been understood not defined sufficiently in all the decades since its too-early demise and astonishing later career. The series was the product of an intelligent republican postmodernist; his central character for a 2200's starship-based series of adventure was an Iowa born activist named James Tiberius Kirk. Roddenberry's characters talked about individual development but generally confuted emergency ethics (altruism) with real-space-time ethics; and more than a dozen times, his central character was involved in actions a starship captain should not have assigned himself to carry out. The series' main creator, Gene Roddenberry, despite being a veteran both of military and police department experience, also frequently neglected or somewhat mishandled virtually all the details of physical importance to such a series--such as ship's equipment, duty assignments, defensive formations, weaponry, computers, transport, language and translation, color-coding, insigniae, Academy training, shipboard relief procedures etc.... Yet in spite of thee secondary omissions, the story-lines and plots were so strong in idea-level that above 50+ of 79 episodes in my estimation as a writer were above- average dramatic or comedic efforts, A look at the roster of writers and directors employed on "Star Trek" will demonstrate one reason why the show was so lively, emotionally-positive and dramatically compelling. Fine directors were used a number of times; in season two, Marc Daniels shared duties with Joseph Pevney; Vincent Mceveety, Gerd Oswald, Michael O'Herlihy, Gene Nelson, Ralph Senensky, Marvin Chomsky, Robert Sparr and others provided their talents. Writers also contributed story ideas or scripts in more than one case each , such as Jean Lisette Aroeste, Jerome Bixby, Margaret Armen, John D.F. Black, Robert Bloch and Theodore Sturgeon for example. And the series' head writers included Black, D.C. Fontana, Gene Coon, Stephen Carabatsos and Roddenberry. The famous cast was comprised Canadian William Shatner as Kirk, Lonard Nimoy as the half-alien pointed-eared 1st Officer, Spock, Georgia-born De Forest Kelley as the ship's doctor, McCoy, Candian James Doohan as Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, George Takei as Lt. Sulu, singer-dancer Nichelle Nichols as Uhura, and Majel Barrett as Nurse Christine Chapel. In pursuit of verisimilitude and an allegorical relationship to the Cold War 1960s, Roddenberry oversaw the elaboration of the Klingon race of aliens, stand-in for Communists, the Vulcan allies, stand-in for the British, and the Romulans, a Vulcan offshoot who were stand-ins for the Germans and Chinese. There are so many important story ideas on "Star Trek" TOS, especially when the series is compared to mere adventure programs of the same period, it is difficult to discern a pattern or to nominate the most worthy, separating the plot from its produced episode. The strongest included "Return to Tomorrow", "City On the Edge of Forever", "Balance of Terror", "This Side of Paradise", "Bread and Circuses", "Mirror, Mirror", "A Piece of the Action", "The Cloud Minders", "All Our Yesterdays", "Mudd's Women", "A Taste of Armageddon" and "The Enemy Within". Recurring themes included god-machines, the power and mystery of sex, humans' ingenuity, the need for self-discipline, the dangers of superhuman powers, the need for a government of sane people, the limits of logic and the problems of emotional extremity, loyalty to a charismatic leader, etc. If Spock was Eliot Ness in alien makeup, a normative human, the rest as depicted came across as promising humans with minor flaws that only got in their way under extreme circumstances. This was a show about the Federation--the flawed U.S. bureaucracy, and Starfleet Command-- the US Air Force and Navy, with details of the civilization of the future kept intentionally vague under such notions as "speaking basic English', the Prime Directive of non-interference being in force and the crew never visiting Earth, etc;, Yhe really questionable elements of the show were the universal translator device, the molecular-disassembly and reassembly "transporter" device and the mysterious "energy shields". But in spite of technical lapses and postmodernist philosophy, the viewers responded to the series' many positive elements--the multiracial crew getting along and functioning bravely under adverse circumstances, the exciting plots, and the sense of a human future of all-but-unlimited potential-- qualities very often entirely missing from other series of the same era. Many of the series' episodes are worth viewing, by my lights as a writer, many times over. That is the series' legacy, I suggest--that it spoke for hope, tolerance and self-assertion, albeit imperfectly, at a time when angst and doubt were all-but-universal on the fictional screens of the United States.
41 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some people call me a space cowboy...
The_Other_Snowman20 December 2009
There's something really odd about Star Trek fans. They seem perfectly able to accept any number of implausibilities, improbabilities, and outright impossibilities, yet have great difficulty accepting the central premise of Star Trek.

Improbabilities: The galaxy is populated by aliens who look more or less like humans, only with pointed ears or blue skin. Also, they speak English fluently. In the 23rd century, women will still wear miniskirts and William Shatner will be sexually desirable.

Implausibilities: Humans can regularly travel across the galaxy in wondrous spacecraft powered by antimatter, moving at outrageous speeds and not wearing seatbelts. There are also parallel universes, and humans can be duplicated, and their minds can be swapped into other bodies.

Impossibilities: The speed of light presents no barrier whatsoever to the Starship Enterprise, which moves by "warping" space somehow. Crewmembers "beam" from the ship to a planet using the transporter, which magically converts them to energy and then magically reassembles them on the planet's surface, without killing them. Also, the Enterprise can travel back in time.

The one thing so many Trekkers can't accept: In the future, humans will no longer be jealous, greedy, racist, sexist, or religious. We will work together not out of selfishness but because we're good people, and after our long and bloody history we've realised that war and money and quests for power are no longer all that profitable.

Of course, plenty of Trek fans love the show for its optimistic -- not to say idealistic -- message, and arguably it's that optimism that has made it such a success. The actual technology or aliens that feature on the show are little different from those offered by other sf programs, but Star Trek's edge is in presenting a future that works out for the best after humanity has overcome its current awkward phase. I like this aspect of Trek, and I wish the newer versions hadn't dumped it.
Classic sci-fi
cosmic_quest21 October 2007
While I have to admit I do prefer 'The Next Generation' and 'Deep Space Nine' (the shows which I grew up with), I will always have a soft spot for 'Star Trek: The Original Series' since this was the show that introduced me to the science fiction genre. It was the first of its kind and, undoubtedly, was the influenced for hundreds of sci-fi shows and films over the years.

For anyone who has been on Mars for the past forty years, the show revolves around Captain James T Kirk, commander of the USS Enterprise, which is a Starfleet vessel on a mission of exploration. Among his loyal crew are his First Officer Spock (an alien from the planet Vulcan, which preaches the importance of logic above emotions), the grumpy Doctor Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, Scotty (the Engineer from Scotland), Uhura (one of the first Black women to be depicted in a lead role), Ensign Sulu and Ensign Chekov (a Russian).

I still remember my very first episode when I was about ten or eleven years old. The special effects were a bit rusty to a child born in the Eighties but I didn't care. The characters were fascinating and heroic, and the stories were involving and exciting (if a tad weird, at times). My love of science fiction was born! I imagine there are millions of sci-fi fans out there who have 'Star Trek' to thank for their own love of sci-fi.

This show has every right to be considered a classic and the family of Gene Roddenberry should be very proud of the world he created.
Excellent for the first 2 seasons; sub-par for the 3rd season
fabian51 September 2007
The original Star Trek series was a show far ahead of its time which dealt with issues of race, sexuality, the real or potential abuse of power, humanity as well as tragedy and even comedy. The program was excellent for the first two seasons but was generally sub-par in the third where it released a string of atrocious episodes such as 'Spock's Brain', 'The Way to Eden,' 'The Lights of Zetar' or 'And the Children shall Lead' partly because its budget had been cut. Ironically, if Season 3 had never been produced, the numerous Star Trek spinoffs which we take for granted today would likely never have appeared since there would have been only 55 Trek episodes in existence rather than the final 79 shows--too few to justify its syndication on TV and touch off Star Trek's subsequent rebirth in fan popularity during the 1970's. Most people generally name their Top 10 shows but I'll list my top 15 and bottom 10 here.

The best Star Trek episodes include: The City on the Edge of Forever, Space Seed, The Trouble with Tribbles, Mirror Mirror, The Doomsday Machine, The Devil in the Dark, The Enterprise Incident, Journey to Babel, Amok Time, What are Little Girls Made of?, The Ultimate Computer, Dagger of the Mind, The Tholian Web, Balance of Terror and Arena.

The worst shows--most from the final season--were: Spock's Brain, The Way to Eden, The Omega Glory, And the Children shall Lead, That Which Survives, The Alternative Factor, The Mark of Gideon, Miri, The Lights to Zetar and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.

The rest were somewhere in between: many were compelling like "A Taste of Armageddon" where Captain Kirk is compelled to violate the Prime Directive in order to save his ship and crew from certain death, "Obsession" where Kirk is determined to destroy a deadly gaseous creature even if it means risking the lives of his crew or delaying the supply of badly needed medicines and "Day of the Dove" which showed how easily hatred between the supposedly more tolerant Federation crew and the Klingons could quickly spiral out of control.

Many poor episodes usually featured highly illogical or contrived plots such as 'Spock's Brain,' or 'The Way to Eden' where a group of space age hippies somehow manage to hijack the Enterprise and travel to their Eden--a planet within Romulan territory--without triggering a Romulan response, ridiculous metaphors as in "The Omega Glory" where the participants of the Vietnam war appear or poorly executed themes on overpopulation such as "The Mark of Gideon." When outer space hippies appear in "The Way to Eden", this is a clear sign that the quality of Star Trek was in sharp decline--especially in season 3--and its producers were running out of fresh new ideas. Unlike sci-fi horror shows of its era, the original Star Trek devoted several episodes to comedy such as the two series with Harry Mudd, 'The Trouble with Tribbles,' and 'A Piece of the Action.' Gene Roddenberry knew how to introduce comedy and farce and win laughs from audiences in a series more attuned to conflict, intrigue and the constant threat of danger or death.

By any measure, the first two seasons were the best of the Star Trek years. In the third season, "The Tholian Web" was nominated for an Emmy in best special effects. It's depiction of how the Enterprise functioned without Kirk around with Spock and McCoy incessantly bickering over command of the ship until they finally reconcile after listening to Kirk's touching 'last orders' is superb. The few other excellent or good episodes from this season include 'The Enterprise Incident,' 'All Our Yesterdays,' 'Requiem for Methuselah,' 'Day of the Dove', the eerie 'Spectre of the Gun', 'For The World is Hollow and I have touched the sky' and 'Turnabout Intruder.' Given the enormous budget cuts the series suffered in its final year, it was nothing short of miraculous that the producers managed to put out a good episode every once in a while. The final Star Trek episode, "Turnabout Intruder," is an intriguing and troubling show both because an insanely jealous Janice Lester seizes control of Kirk's body which gradually sets off an unprecedented revolt among the Enterprise crew as well as Lester's reference to the blatant double standards inherent at Starfleet where only men could aspire to be ship captains--something which was not the case with the Romulans as we can see in "The Enterprise Incident." Captain Kirk's Starfleet was not yet the meritorious progressive institution which we all imagined. While Majel Barrett did serve briefly as "number 1" in the Cage, Star Trek's pilot, the concept of a serving female first officer was unpopular among the show's NBC producers in the 1960's and quickly abandoned.
Dumpster Diving @ Desilu Produced The Props
DKosty1231 October 2006
This show made all of it's principles into cause celebrities & in fact did the same for it's producers & almost everyone involved with it. This was one of the last series produced by Desilu studios it's first season. Then Desilu was sold to Paramont in order for Lucy & Ricky to separate their business interests after the divorce. Oh, but what a way to end their partnership.

This original series & it's films & syndicated sequels have produced more money for Paramont than any other franchise. William Shatner became so famous for his role in this, that he went to to advertise Promise Margerine, do TJ HOOKER (a Cop series) in the 1970's for ABC. Then he kept working on other stuff until now he has managed to become a TV regular again on Boston Legal.

Lenoard Nimoy(Spock) went on to do several other projects including hosting the syndicated series "In Search of". All the others came back for the movies as well. The big thing that made this series so popular was the plot lines which especially in the first seasons were so imaginative. These were from creator Gene Roddenbury who had learned his craft in the unusual Western series hit Have Gun, Will travel.

Roddenbury made morality a major strength in plotting these original episodes. He tapped some talented science fiction writers as well for ideas. This was really his wagon train to the stars. This original series has a couple of fine veteran Western folks behind the camera with Gene L. Coons & Fred Friedberger who worked on action series like The Wild Wild West. The resemblance of Kirks fight scenes in Star Trek to the Wild Wild West are no coincidence.

Towards the end, as NBC kept cutting the budget, the show suffered too, but by then, NBC still had not realized what they had & killed off the series. Thank goodness for re-runs, then video & now DVDs to keep this original going. The guest list for this series was small, but it had some excellent guest stars including William Windom, Roger C. Carmel, Michael Dunn (Dr Lovelass on Wild Wild West), Ricardo Montoban, & others (Most did guest shots on West too). It is one of the rare Science Fiction series to combine serious themes & comedy successfully & really be inventive. After all, to me it seems like these guys invented the cell phone style of communication in the 1960's. European Scientists are still experimenting to see if beaming people up can be done. What a legacy this series has left all of us.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Great, It's Exactly The SAME.
nozcr25 September 2006
Recently the newly created The CW network has begun airing digitally remastered episodes of the original Star Trek series.

For those of you who believed that this spelled doom for your cherished memories, be assured that everything has remained intact.

The new episodes of the Original Star Trek series are exactly the same as the ones that many will remember from long ago. Not a word of dialog has been altered. Not a single story has been reworked for our contemporary 21st Century world. The original stories were so carefully thought out that all which was needed to make the old episodes seem fresh and original was absolutely nothing. The people charged with bringing The Original Star Trek series back to its original glory have lovingly restored the original and resisted the temptation of adding state of the art Razzledazzle to enhance what was already there.

The major changes come in the special optical effects shots. When the series was originally created, the only way to achieve such visions was to photograph models and put the resulting images through an optical printing process that required them to be duplicated several times, acquiring dust, scratches, and tiny hair shadows with every step. Using current digital animation technology, these shots have been painstakingly recreated, as if the original work orders and storyboards were found in an archive and then faithfully duplicated.

Minor changes become noticeable when one examines the texture of the costumes, and the detail work on the sets, which were never quite clear to those of us who originally watched the series on a 19 inch General Electric Black And White Vacuum Tube Televisions.

If the future of Star Trek is buried in its past, then the future is looking very good in High Definition and Dolby Surround Sound.

Fascinating.
Star Trek Original TV series
StoneWomanWorks26 April 2006
I must agree with the others who have left comments... while the original Star Trek was cheesy by today's standards, it was a very accurate glimpse into what was about to become fact instead of Gene Roddenberry's fiction. The stories told then are just as true today, and the equipment they utilized in the fantasy space ship is now real! My first cell phone reminded me of a communicator... and it wasn't a pin on my chest! Who would have thought a computer in 1966 would fit in the palm of one's hand? Gene Roddenberry! And the cast of "Star Trek" made it believable then. All I ever needed to know about life I learned from Star Trek!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lock Phasers On Target....
Abusimble116 February 2008
Crime And Punishment. War And Peace. A Canticle For Leibowitz. Like any great novel, Star Trek set the standard by which all others are measured. I first saw Star Trek as a child when Star Trek: The Next Generation was beginning to be made. Star Trek didn't have as nice special effects, both technologically and artistically. But something about it sticks with the viewer, and this is the characters. Captain James Kirk. First Office Spock. Doctor Leonard McCoy. Chekov. Sulu. Scotty. These are names that are indelibly etched into memory for me. The actors do a marvelous job of being the colours while the plot paints the distant future for us. Most of the first 9 Star Trek movies are equally superb. Star Trek...to boldly go where no man has gone before. It indeed did. Excellent, excellent serial!!
Trek In The U.K.
ShadeGrenade3 September 2006
I was a fan of 'Star Trek' long before I saw a single episode. In 1969 a comic called 'Joe 90: Top Secret' went on sale in the U.K. Along with 'Joe 90', it featured 'The Champions', 'Land Of The Giants', and of course, 'Star Trek'.

By the time the B.B.C. bought it - 'Star Trek' was shown as a summer replacement for 'Dr.Who' which went temporarily off-air following Patrick Troughton's departure - I was well acquainted with the format and characters. 'The U.S.S. Enterprise' is, according to the credits, on a five year mission to explore new worlds and go where no man has gone before. The ship is commanded by 'Captain James T.Kirk', played by William Shatner. Kirk used to drive me nuts by kissing a different girl each week. Also aboard were the late DeForest Kelley as crusty 'Dr.Leonard 'Bones' McCoy' and Leonard Nimoy ( who stole the show ) as the emotionless Vulcan 'Mr.Spock'.

Some highly regarded sci-fi authors contributed scripts, including Harlan Ellison, Robert Bloch, Richart Matheson, Theodore Sturgeon, Jerry Sohl, and Norman Spinrad.

The B.B.C. endlessly re-ran 'Star Trek' throughout the '70's, usually in peak viewing time. Though regarded as a failure in the U.S.A., 'Star Trek' cast a long shadow over television science fiction for years to come, with new series such as 'Space: 1999' being rightly or wrongly compared to it.

I got a 'Star Trek' annual every Christmas until 1979! We Brits never experienced 'Trek''s decline because the episodes were screened wildly out of sequence by the B.B.C. I can remember watching 'Return Of The Archons' in 1974 and thinking it was a brand new episode! As Mr.Spock might have said: "Most illogical.".
Innovative
David-Trippler23 March 2004
Wow, it´s really hard to comment a series like Star Trek TOS because there has been other Star Trek and films and so I think it impossible to comment this series fair but well... I´ll try!

I think that Star Trek TOS is a very good series with many new things nobody has ever seen until the series had started. But the most important thing for me is, that the series showed the people to accept others, other things and other opinions. And so it´s not really a problem that there are some very thin stories and episodes which aren´t realistic and logical (no intelligent Captain would beam onto an unknown planet together with his first officer, his chief of engineering (and second officer) and his medical officer. But hey, thats television and thats create suspense, it wouldn´t be so interesting if Captain Kirk would only beam onto planets with unknown security (nearly every episode some redskirted security officers die!) and science officers.

So for a series made in the late 60s, this was very very innovative!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazed they made this in the 60s.
ohlabtechguy26 December 2017
I am 58 and never was a big fan of science fiction. Had seen episodes from Star Trek decades ago, but never was a huge fan.

Well...recently have been watching reruns on a free TV channel. And I am amazed at how good and unique this show was....and is...especially for a show from the 1960s. Much credit is due to William Shatner. He's a good, versatile actor and was able to "sell" the script with a sense of seriousness and reality that it made up for the low budget sets, costumes and sometimes silly plots. He should have won an emmy for his acting.

Also, loved the vibrant simple colors used on the sets and in wardrobe. The thinly adorned sets were visually enhanced by all these primary colors.

The topics, scientific lingo and gadgets were also far beyond what most people were thinking of before this period. Look at all those cell phones they used in the series. And the flat screen TV monitors. Just way ahead of their time.

Of course, Spock and the doc were great supporting cast members. But without Kirk, William Shatner, the show probably would not have worked.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.