Shane (TV Series 1966– ) Poster

(1966– )

Shane 1966 TV Series.
grahamlenegan30 December 2004
I saw the full series of Shane in the 60s on TV and I thought it was excellent, nothing fancy or Ultra action series, but a really good realistic western series with an excellent cast.David Carradine was his usual strong, moody self.(as Kung Fu)The late Jill Ireland was good as his romantic interest. I suppose it would seem a bit sedate by today's standards, but to me it was superb, with some very good supporting actors, Some who appeared on an almost weekly basis and some who did not. All were good.I thought Ryker was also a good character, A real good villain of the piece with his brother and other gun hands he seemed to hire who always came up against out hero Shane.I would love to see the whole series again today. I'm sure It'd be just as enjoyable.
25 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't Mess With a Classic
bkoganbing15 August 2006
A big mistake was made when someone got the bright idea to make a television series out of the classic film that starred Alan Ladd. It deservedly lasted only for 17 episodes. Fortunately no one's career got hurt.

The whole premise of the film was Alan Ladd riding in to the valley, dealing with the villains and LEAVING because his job was done and he knew he was becoming a romantic rival of Van Heflin for the affections of wife Jean Arthur. Alan Ladd's conduct was the whole point of the film.

Here we've got Mrs. Starrett being a widow and being looked after by gunfighter turned farm hand Shane. They added a character of Tom Tully as her father-in-law. Jill Ireland played Mrs. Starrett and villain Rufe Ryker is played by Bert Freed.

Freed will acquire that Starrett homestead one way or another. He'll either drive her out or marry her. Freed casts some lascivious eyes on her the way Emile Meyer did in the film. But in the TV show he's got a wedding ring ready if all else fails.

Shane is played by David Carradine who I think midway in the series lost interest. He knew he was in a turkey that was slated for early cancellation.

Wise move too.