The Sound of Music (1965) Poster

We are alive with The Sound Of Music
duffjerroldorg12 April 2017
Let me confess I'm not a Catholic, I don't have children, I can't stand schmaltz and yet I love The Sound Of Music. I've tried to explain this to myself, let alone to others, without ever finding a satisfactory answer. Yesterday I sat to see it again with a group of kids who hadn't seen it before. They all loved it even the ones who loved Transporters. I asked them afterwards why did they loved it so much and a 12 year old boy's reply was: "It makes you feel alive" Wow, I thought, Wow! Of course, that's what I felt too and a 12 year old found the perfect words to express my feelings. Julie Andrews is a the center of this little miracle. She is Sister Maria and her wishes, thoughts and fears are recognizable automatically, because they are, in many ways, my same wishes, thoughts and fears. Perfect. Thank you.
97 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure cinematic magic, won Best Picture of the Year and rightfully so!
jacobs-greenwood11 December 2016
Capitalizing on two "hot" properties of the early sixties, director Robert Wise and the infinitely talented Julie Andrews, this film delivers some pure cinematic magic like none before it nor since, especially the sequences which feature the songs "Do Re Mi" (#88 on AFI's 100 Top Movie Songs of All Time) through the streets of Salzburg and "The Lonely Goatherd", performed with puppets.

These, among others, helped it capture the Best Picture Oscar that year over David Lean's Doctor Zhivago (1965), Stanley Kramer's Ship of Fools (1965), A Thousand Clowns (1965), and Darling (1965), which (like Doctor Zhivago (1965), also) features Julie Christie, in her Oscar winning Best Actress performance. Wise, who would later receive the Irving G. Thalberg Award from the Academy, picked up his second Best Director Oscar for this film; Andrews her second consecutive Best Actress nomination (she'd won for her film debut in Mary Poppins (1964)).

Written by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse (and Maria von Trapp's novel), Ernest Lehman's screenplay tells the story of the Austrian von Trapp family who, after their first public performance as a singing group, fled when Hitler annexed their country (the Anschluss) in March, 1938. The real von Trapp family had performed all over Europe because Maria, with the help of a local priest (fashioned as Max Detweiler, played by Richard Haydn, in the film), had turned the family's hobby into a profession when an Austrian bank crash caused Georg to lose his fortune.

Though this musical is almost three hours in length, the plot interspersed with magnificent Rodgers & Hammerstein songs (helping the film to win the Oscar for Best Music, Scoring of Music, Adaptation or Treatment) keep it from feeling overlong.

In fact, it's the kind of film, like The Wizard of Oz (1939), that one can watch every year and never tire of it. The title song is #10 on AFI's 100 Top Movie Songs of All Time; "My Favorite Things" is #64. And no one can forget (how do you solve a problem like) "Maria", sung in part by Marni Nixon (known for dubbing Deborah Kerr, Natalie Wood, and Audrey Hepburn in The King and I (1956), West Side Story (1961), and My Fair Lady (1964), respectively) in one of her only on-screen appearances as Sister Sophia ... or "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Edelweiss" and "So Long, Farewell", especially little Kym Karath's "goodbye" in the reprise, as the seven year old Gretl. Each of these tunes, and their just right lyrics, move the story along such that one never has cause to look at one's watch to wonder "when will it end?". The film's Sound and Editing, as evidenced in the aforementioned "Do Re Mi" and "The Lonely Goatherd" numbers, also won Academy Awards.

Christopher Plummer (whose singing voice was dubbed by Bill Lee) is terrific as the stern aristocrat widower who marries his governess after she, and his children, had helped the Captain to rediscover song, love, and what it means to be a father. The cast of kids is marvelous, the most recognizable of which is Angela Cartwright as Brigitta, who would go on to star in the TV series Lost in Space that same year. Nicholas Hammond, Friedrich, also had a television career which included playing roles in several series, most notably as Spiderman. Heather Menzies's (Louisa) TV career was shorter. Charmian Carr gives a strong performance as the eldest child Liesl who's "Sixteen going on Seventeen". Peggy Wood's head Mother Abbess (whose singing voice was dubbed by Margery McKay) earned her a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination. Her best line "Him?!", after which she immediately excuses Sister Margaretta (Anna Lee), when Maria is telling her why she's returned to the abbey.

I also especially like the "dueling" Sisters, Margaretta and Berthe (Portia Nelson) who, despite their disparate feelings towards Maria's suitability as a nun, work together to foil the Nazis in the end. Ben Wright plays a credible Herr Zeller. The recognizable Norma Varden is Frau Schmidt, the von Trapp's housekeeper. And to have the great Eleanor Parker in a supporting role as the Baroness, who presumably doesn't sing or perform (she that forgot her harmonica), such ironic and fortunate casting! Also, Maria von Trapp herself appears briefly, uncredited, during the "I Have Confidence" number.

The film's Color Art Direction-Set Decoration, Cinematography, Costume Design also received Oscar nominations. Plus, besides being added to the National Film Registry in 2001, the film is #55 on AFI's 100 Greatest Movies list and #27 on AFI's 100 Greatest Love Stories list. #41 on AFI's 100 Most Inspiring Movies list. #4 on AFI's 25 Greatest Movie Musicals list.

One of the best family movie night film's ever made, make it an annual tradition in yours!
26 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I couldn't fault a thing! A Masterpiece
littlemanzone17 December 2015
I've grown up with every Female generation in my Family Singing these Songs, so it's surprising I've only just got round to watching this now. I had no idea this Movie was so Dark! Starting with the Joyful opening which slowly progresses to an unpredictable Sinister Storyline.

This is Top Cinema at it's best!! The Costumes, The Settings, The Actors, The catchy Song writing all get Top Marks from me. I even found myself so engrossed and feeling anxious with sudden urges to shout at the Screen, especially near the End.

I couldn't fault a thing! It's such a shame that modern Film makers seen to have lost the ability to write such Masterpieces anymore. A Brilliant Movie!!!
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sound of Music rules because it has everything.
VonTrapp9 August 1999
While many people agree that the Sound of Music is one of the best films of all time, some are at a loss to adequately explain why; they buckle under and admit that there are parts that are syrupy, etc. Well, I'll tell you why it's the best movie ever (and I DON'T agree that it's too syrupy). It simply has everything one could want in a movie. First of all, it has a REAL romance - one where you can watch the characters slowly fall in love. It's not like today's movies where two characters meet and the next scene is them waking up together. Secondly, it has humor. Not syrupy or corny humor, but very wry, dry tongue-in-cheek humor. For evidence, look at the quotes. Baronness Schraeder is especially well-done in this regard. Her comments simply drip with ice. "Good bye, Maria. I'm sure you'll make a fine nun." You want to smack her. Thirdly, it's got adventure. The Nazis are the ultimate villains in any movie - WWII was as clear a case of good vs. evil as you can find, making it great fodder for films - and so it's great to see Maria, the Captain and the kids outwit them. Fourthly, it's got great music. Fifthy, it's got great scenery. And the plot and dialogue are astounding. I find new things to admire each time I watch. Finally, is there a greater scene in any movie than the nuns revealing the stolen Nazi car parts??? "The Sound of Music" does not just succeed because it cheers people up with syrup or song. It succeeds because it is a wonderfully-constructed, wonderfully-written, wonderfully-acted, brilliant movie. For me, no other movie can compare. Not to be obsessed with it or anything. :)
291 out of 388 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a classic that will never get old
brett-7626028 April 2018
Song and dance is definitely not my thing. However I've seen this movie dozens and dozens of times overs the years. It never gets old... if you have never seen it it's well worth your time. They just don't make them like this anymore. Rent it or buy it, a true classic that is perfect from start to finish...
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic family friendly musical classic
davispittman26 October 2017
The Sound of Music (1965) is an all time classic family musical that has always been one of my favorites. Ever since I was child, I would watch this movie and just love every minute of it. This movie really was destined for greatness from the beginning, anyone at all could have seen that. Between the A list cast, great performances, top notch singing, and the enchanting story.... there's no wonder people still love it to death. Julie Andrews stars as Maria, who is a nun, but not a very good one, and she gets sent to be a governess to the Von Trapp family. The Von Trapp family is a very well to do family in Austria. The father is a former captain and the mother died some time ago. Christopher Plummer plays captain Von Trapp, and he does a great job. Every member of the cast does a great job with their performances, both singing and non. The singing alone in this film is just astounding, every single musical number is just as good, if not better than the previous one. If you do not care for musicals, then I wouldn't really suggest this movie to you. It really is a lot of singing, but it is great singing by talented artists, which is really why it will forever have a place in classic great cinema. 10/10 for The Sound of Music. Enchanting story with lovely entertaining music.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The power of music, the joy of music
o-3154620 June 2017
The Sound of Music, the sound of freedom.

This classic film is filled with glorious songs and has plenty for hopeless romantics to enjoy. The Sound of Music also effectively works in the tension and foreboding of the time period. Everyone in Austria has to make a choice when the Nazis arrive. Even the nuns in the abbey must make a choice.It's worth discussing with older kids why this was such a tense time and why the Von Trapps made the painful decision to flee the country they loved. It is a movie of catching freedom.

"The Sound of Music" has contributed to the legend which has grown around the true life story of the Trapp family. ------Yidioo
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful. Best musical film ever.
Not many films can achieve the flat out beauty that you see in The Sound of Music. The mesmerizing European landscapes and Julie Andrews' voice, not to mention the cute performances by the children, especially in their goodbye song, make this film not only the best musical of all time, but one of the best films of all time.

Yes, I did say best musical. Singin in the rain is sewer water compared to this. Not that Singin is a bad musical, but not as good. The Wizard of Oz is learning how to make fire, The Sound of music is inventing the Flying car.

This film is timeless, beautiful, inspiring, and uplifting, but I would advise that anyone who watches this would be mature enough, for anyone under the age of 15 will brush this movie aside, saying it is lame so as to maintain their level of coolness. I saw this happen when I asked my little sisters to watch it with me. They rolled their eyes and said the movie was terrible and boring. If only they understood. You have to have an open mind, and forget everything every little kid has said negative about this film. I never wanted to watch this, but some fellow high school seniors RECOMMENDED it to me. Obviously they had open minds, and they didn't care if they looked cool or not. Please watch this movie. It will make you happy, and it is so beautiful, you will almost cry. I had never really liked musicals, and perhaps I still do not overly enjoy them, but this film in all its beauty cut right through that barrier and took me with it to heaven, which is where it should belong, not on this horrible place where people condemn a musical film for being almost three hours.

To simply conclude, you will never see a more heart-stopping beautiful movie in your life.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite movie of all time!
Calysta12 January 2000
Watching my Mother dancing and singing to the songs of "The Sound of Music" at the age of five was incredibly disturbing. It was seven years before anyone was able to sit me down in front of the T.V to the musical during the annual telecast in Sydney. Almost to my horror, I was falling in love with the musical. More than two years later, not a single movie has been able to pass it in my favourite movies stakes.

I have made judgemental mistakes with great movies. Greats like "Casablanca", "The African Queen" and "The Wizard of Oz" have originally also been frowned upon.

"The Sound of Music" expanded my horizons on the movie world. I eventually went on to view non-musical classics as a result of this single movie, and now old classic movies have become a genuine passion.

Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote their greatest work in the form of their last musical, despite the fact it was "Carousel" that was their favourite. Although the changes made from the original stage production have now been evident in the arrival of the excellent musical currently playing in Sydney, much have been for the better. Throughout their career, the duo created immortal musicals, but in story, song and film, "The Sound of Music" surpasses "The King and I", "Oklahoma!", "Carousel" and "South Pacific" in all aspects.

We all know the story. We know of at least one of the immortal songs from the musical, "The Sound of Music", "My Favourite Things", "Do-Re-Mi" or "Edelweiss". Julie Andrews was believable and unforgettable as the sweet, outspoken novice nun turned governess, who should have taken out the oscar that year. Christopher Plummer was dashing as the Captain, and the supporting cast was one of the best I have ever seen. Fond memories have been remembered from some of the unforgettable sequences of this film that deservedly made it the best picture of 1965.

Yes, there are sugary elements in the movie that cannot be denied. But this movie has never been reliant upon sex, violence or drugs to make it one of the best things to come out of Hollywood. It can be appreciated truly for what it is, pure art, talent and spirit. It is not a real perception of the world nowadays, but for all the joy it brings, who cares?

It was the last movie I expected to love as a fourteen year old. It was also the first movie I watched in seven years that could manage to make me shed tears, and view it in loving admiration which cannot be equalled.

"Singin' In the Rain" is the only other contender to the title of "The greatest movie ever made". Whatever its flaws, "The Sound of Music" is one of the worlds best loved treasures which keeps bringing generations of viewers to its attention.

Rating: 10/10
199 out of 293 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No home should be without a copy of this timeless classic!
Abi C13 November 1999
This has to be the greatest musical of all time. An amazing musical score and stunning choreography, no home should be without a copy of this timeless classic.

This musical is known by everybody and is suitable for all ages. A Happy family film with no sex, violence or bad language. The young actors playing the roles of the von Trapp children are amazing and Andrews gives a performance to be remembered for a lifetime as Maria, a young Nun who becomes a cheerful governess.

This is definately a family movie to be watched together on a Sunday Afternoon!!
114 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The perfect film musical......
Poseidon-329 April 2002
This film is a triumph in all departments. Every aspect, from the cinematography to the acting, the sets to the costumes, the music, choreography, script, is top notch. While the film is family friendly and has a sweet story, it is constantly amazing the way people attack it as saccharine and sugary. This can certainly be said of the stage show, but the movie version has been carefully produced to provide a more well-rounded vision. Ernest Lehman worked wonders with the underdeveloped and unremarkable dialogue of the play. He inserted so many moments of wit, humor, romance and poignancy that are nowhere in sight in the original. the art directors purposefully chose muted settings and colors. Each of the actors bent over backwards to provide a brilliant performance. Andrews is already down in history for the performance of a lifetime (and a voice to match), but Plummer is not to be forgotten. Not only is he regal and handsome, but his decision to play the Captain as a complex, sophisticated man with a sly dose of sarcasm was wonderful. His steely, stern persona is eventually melted down by the irrepressible Andrews to great effect. Every supporting performance is also delivered with the right amount of appeal, humor or menace as called for in the script. However, the one that takes the cake....that amazes each time, is the slinky, catty, toweringly glamorous Parker as Baroness Schraeder. Wisely, her songs were cut, further separating her from all the glee around her, so that she could whip out such zingers as "Why didn't you tell me....to bring along my harmonica?" or when she's told that Andrews may not make a great nun, "If you need anything, I'd be happy to help you." The character is given a much more polished and integral position in the film versus the stage and virtually every line of her dialogue (unlike in the play) is a howler. Though Wood was lovely in her role as the Mother Abbess, it was Parker who should have gotten an Oscar nod....and WON! Every expression, every syllable, every glance belies the decades of experience Parker gained as a leading lady during the 40's and 50's. Her clothes by Dorothy Jeakins are awe-inspiring. This type of film-making is GONE. The location photography, the simplicity of story and design, the sheer good-spiritedness of it all...they just can't do this anymore. Thankfully, there's this flawless gem to turn to when one just want to feel good. But saccharine? No..... Compare this to other beloved musicals with their garish colors and sugary story lines ("Seven Brides...", "Singin' in the Rain", "...Molly Brown", "The Music Man", to name just a few...) They are all highly enjoyable, but are hardly less sweet than this! Just one word.....Nazis!! Though virtually everyone knows the outcome, there is still genuine suspense at the climax of "The Sound of Music". The film has it all.
166 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In My Personal Top-Ten of All Time
dweck8 December 1998
Has Julie Andrews ever appeared on film more beautifully than in this film? Has she ever sung with such richness and gusto as is captured here? As a big fan of hers, I can watch this musical over and over and just sigh.

Wise and his cinematographer have photographed Andrews in a manner that no other director has--even her husband. Watch the scene where Maria watches the Captain sing Edelweiss with the kids. Wise turns her into a gauzy angel. It is a fantastic moment among hundreds that this movie contains.

I am firmly in a camp that says Julie Andrews was completely, utterly, and regrettably robbed when the 1965 Oscars were handed out. She embodied Maria Von Trapp, wholly and with every fiber of her being (just watch the scene in which she races the boys in a segment of "Do-Re-Mi"; she runs at the camera with utter abandon here, no holding back. Or consider the shot at the end of this song, where she places her hand atop her head--it's as if even SHE can't believe she's hitting that note).

The Julie Christie performance that beat Andrews is now all but forgotton. "The Sound of Music," however, lives on and on.

"The Sound of Music" is a bit bittersweet for me, given that audiences tastes would soon turn away from big-budget musicals in general and Julie Andrews specifically. But what a legacy it (and she) have left!
106 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It just gains more and more fans every year
gerry-russell-1392 February 2002
"The Happiest sound in all the world"? Quite possibly and easily the most famous musical film in Hollywood history. Most of us grown-ups still love it but at the same time we're also tired of seeing it over and over again (maybe that's why it's not rerun on NBC every single year anymore). Julie Andrews takes her MARY POPPINS success and adds even more to it with her delightful rendition of the role that Mary Martin originated on the Broadway stage in 1959 and ran even farther with it than Martin ever could. In my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone here, Martin was too old for the part (she was in her mid to late 40s in the stage version and Andrews was 30 when the transition came to film came around--a perfect age). As for the rest of the cast, it is just as talented: Christopher Plummer in the role he will be forever remembered for (even though he hated the part) is an achingly true Cap. Von Trapp with those "hidden talents" making subtle appearances throughout the film until blatantly bursting out into the open in the film's closing scenes; Richard Haydn makes for a comical and yet sincere "Uncle" Max, Peggy Wood is a starchy yet compassionate Reverand Mother and Charmian Carr as Liesl stands out as our perrenial favorite of the seven children. The locales are breathtaking as well (esp. the opening scenes which is probably the most beautiful aerial shot in all of film history and the cunning floral designs of the public Austrian gardens during the DO-RE-MI sequence). So let's all keep watching this most cherished of all musical films each year and never forget it's universal sentiment: to 'climb ev'ry mountain, ford ev'ry stream, follow ev'ry rainbow till you find your dream'.
156 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A winner on every count, with its score, its performances and its breathtaking scenery...
Nazi_Fighter_David5 July 1999
If "West Side Story" was the best musical film of the sixties, then "The Sound of Music," adapted from the long-running Broadway musical play about Maria Von Trapp and her singing family, was certainly the most popular…

With a story that includes the right amount of family sentiment (the Von Trapp children never quarrel among themselves), religion (in the Hollywood tradition of serene, kind nuns), romance (actually two romances, one adult, one adolescent), and anti-Nazi feeling (Captain Von Trapp refuses to surrender to the Nazi invaders)—and with director Robert Wise who is in fact a solid, conscientious craftsman and a fluent story-teller mercifully free of grandiose pretensions, "The Sound of Music" is perfect with its sumptuous location photography, immaculate, fluid editing, and splendid tones…

The film does have a justifiably famous opening: the camera sweeps over the Austrian Alps to catch Julie Andrews, as mischievous, warmhearted Maria, exultantly singing the title song as she rushes through the bright green valley… It is an exhilarating moment that the film never really matches again, but there is plenty left in the remaining hours to please the legions of devotees...

There are unquestionably some enjoyable songs and musical numbers specially when the eldest Von Trapp daughter (Charmian Carr) meets her shy beau (Daniel Truhitte) in the family garden, he sings "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" to her, and they do a charming little dance around the gazebo… Maria's music lesson to the children, "Do-Re-Mi," is beautifully staged, set over several days as they amble in and around Salzburg, changing their clothing through camera wizardry… And perhaps the best of the songs is the simplest, "Edelweiss," with a tender lyric and poignant melody that make a fitting last song for Rodgers and Hammerstein…

Another of the film's virtues is Julie Andrew's performance as Maria... She cuts through the thick sentiment with her own sharply honed blade of authority and self-confidence, implying that at least she will get through all the high corn without damaging her self-esteem... It works to balance the tight-lipped stodginess of Christopher Plummer as Captain Von Trapp, the "adorable" posturings of the children, and the artificial airs of Eleanor Parker as the haughty baroness...
109 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Is A Timeless Classic
Desertman8430 June 2018
The Sound Of Music is a musical film that was adapted on screen from the Broadway musical of the same name with the songs written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II.It stars Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer as Maria and Captain Georg von Trapp respectively together with Eleanor Parker as Baroness Elsa von Schraeder who was the Captain's lady friend and a competition for Maria;Richard Haydn as Max Detweiler, a good friend of both the Baroness and the Captain; as well as Charmian Carr,Nicholas Hammond,Heather Menzies,Duane Chase,Angela Cartwright,Debbie Turner and Kym Karath as the Von Trapp children.Robert Wise directed this classic musical film.

It is about the story of the von Trapp family singers.Maria is a young woman who gets into the consternation of the nuns in an Austrian convent.This prompted Mother Abbess to send her to become a governess for the seven children of a naval officer and widower,Captain Georg von Trapp.It later leads a romance between Maria and the captain that leads to marriage.The children who happen to be talented singers also joins the Salzburg Music Festival during their honeymoon.It contains several popular songs, including "Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re- Mi", "Sixteen Going on Seventeen", "The Lonely Goatherd", and the title song, "The Sound of Music".It concludes when the von Trapp family escapes from Austria to Switzerland before the Germans annexes the country.

It has been more than 50 years since the musical was released.Throughout all these years,it has remained popular.The songs would still provide delight to the viewers today and remains byword to many.The songs definitely provided a lot of joy and entertainment for they are definitely Rodgers and Hammerstein's best scores.But it is great to note how wonderful Julie Andrews was in it as Maria for she lights up the screen all throughout.She definitely can warm a lot of hearts throughout the generation when watching it.Aside from the songs,it also has everything that one wants to see in a movie like love;a love triangle between Maria,the Captain and the Baroness;children;great cinematography;great European locations;religion;comedy;war and intrigue. Overall,there is no question that this is one of the most enduring musical of all-time and it has timeless charm written over it.
Film of the Century
chandranidas-7898719 December 2017
The whole world of films should depend and follow this one and only legendary drama movie ever made and I'm glad I got to watch it and one thing is absolutely certain that Julie Andrews was a heck of a lady when she was pretty and younger and it hurts that how time passes by and our legacies remain but us .
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tale of courage and love set in World War II (based on a true story)
noemptychairs6 June 2017
I grew up admiring Maria Von Trapp. The joy their family had with 7 children. I'm sure it influenced me to want a large family as well.

The integrity that everyone had in the family was incredible. I love any movie where the main man in the movie has principles and sticks to them. This one has principles and courage in spades.

It's such a completely innocent movie with romance and love being the dominate themes in male/female relationships. This is not a movie in which lust plays any part.

I love the gentle parenting it shows. I love the obedient children it shows.

Talking points: Young love - does it often last? Who do you owe the most allegiance to, God of the government? Do we get blessings in life because of good behavior?
Timeless Classic
michyh4 May 2000
One of my all-time favorite movies. It might be on the sweet side, but sometimes that's just exactly what is needed. Anyway, there is Christopher Plummer as the captain to balance out all that sweetness. I always thought he had a great voice and terrific screen presence in this film.

Julie Andrews at her freshest and best...her singing is wonderful, the alps are wonderful, the songs are memorable, and the story line never gets boring.
86 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes saccharine can be a good substitute.
gbrumburgh31 March 2001
1965's "The Sound of Music" is everything a bad musical should be. Providing more sap than a forest full of Vermont maples, it has coy, silly songs, an inane, innocuous script, and unbelievably sugary characters. So why is it one of my favorite musicals? OK, go ahead. Shoot me at twenty paces. But after all this time, it still remains a guilty pleasure. I find myself going for a tub of rocky road ice cream and Rodgers & Hammerstein's immortal classic whenever the real world gets to be too much. I seem to play it a lot around tax time.

And I'm not alone. Why is it still considered the most popular musical of all time? Well, first of all they spared no expense. The extremely well-produced blockbuster has gorgeous, eye-popping scenery. From the first moment Julie Andrews flails her arms and circles around on that beautiful sunny hillside singing the rousing title song, I know I'm being swept away to another world. I'm not in Kansas anymore...or L.A., anyway. The panoramic Salzburg background complements and never intimidates or takes away from the characters or their story (like the other R & H extravaganza "South Pacific.") That in itself is an incredible feat.

Now about those songs. Almost every one of them is absolute drivel. So what makes them work? Easy. The utter joy and sincerity of the cast who sings the infectious, hummable tunes, which are backed by extremely moving orchestrations and an exceptionally beautiful score. It's hard to resist Maria prancing about, pillow-fighting with a bunch of knee-highs and gushing about her most favorite things. Or the austere Captain Von Trapp (the meticulous Christopher Plummer) turning to butter after hearing his brood sing in perfect harmony for the first time (with no prior lessons even) and joining right in. Or the Mother Superior's soaring number that unknowingly forewarns Maria to head for the hills (I mean, mountains) before the Nazis escort them elsewhere. Or the 16-year-old going on 17 squealing with delight after receiving her first kiss. Or the kids working up a clever little ditty to leave their formal party guests when its time for bed. Or two people declaring their love in a moonlit gazebo. The songs work because they come straight from and aim for the heart, not the head, which is exactly the place the viewer should be coming from when watching this movie. If the songs don't transcend the script (which they didn't prior to the 70s), they certainly transcend the mood.

The script is undeniably trite and probably the film's weakest link. But again, the characters play it straight all the way. Not one actor looks embarrassed. Every scene is done with total enthusiasm and total commitment, and the performers who are telling the story are pitch-perfect and picture perfect.

And as for the characters. Try and think of anybody better than jubilant, crop-haired Julie Andrews as a postulant nun who has gorgeous pipes, can make play clothes out of curtains, can set up and operate marionette shows at the drop of a hat, and is confident enough to convince a man that a failed nun is ideal marriage material. I certainly can't. Thank heavens for her Oscar-winning "Mary Poppins" the year before or we might have gotten Julie LONDON instead! After all, Andrews did lose out on "My Fair Lady" the year before. But now certifiably bankable, she proved she could handle this dream role. Andrews is cutely silly, cutely stubborn, cutely astute, cutely shattered and cutely...well, cute. She gives the most wholesomely appealing musical perf since Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz." To actually make you forget Mary Martin in the Broadway role takes some doing and she does it effortlessly. Christopher Plummer is all seriousness, handsomely patrician, and quite a catch for anybody...much less a nun. I can't think of anyone more suitable for this role either. As for the Seven Little Foys, I mean the Von Trapp children, they are adorable and perfect in their own ways too, whether they are marching or singing, creating their own individual personalities by film's end.

Richard Haydn as Max and Eleanor Parker as the flamboyant, haughty Baroness provide wonderful catty relief. Despite having their musical numbers snatched away from them, they make up for it with droll, sophisticated humor. The elegant, perfectly coiffed Parker is particularly delicious as Maria's chief romantic rival, getting some of the film's best zingers and delivering them with biting understatement. Parker developed a devout cult following after this role. Peggy Wood's Mother Superior is suitably reverent and inspiring.

For those who tear "The Sound of Music" apart for its shameless, sugar-coated manipulations, well, I can respect that. But to attack it for its political and historical inaccuracies is like attacking "Peter Pan" for being a subversive plot that encourages young children to run away from home. It's ludicrous. Despite the fact that it's based on a true story, we're not watching "The Sound of Music" for stark realism. Like a sparkling and lavish Ernst Lubitsch operetta, we want a feel-good movie, with feel-good songs, with a feel-good story, and a feel-good ending. Nothing more. If you want a movie that presents a potent depiction of pre-war Austria or anti-Nazi sentiment, rent "Holocaust" or "Schindler's List." Here, we want to believe that a group of nuns can tear out an automobile carburetor and save the world! Period.

I suppose the reality-based MTV generation cannot truly respect or relate to the relative innocence and pure escapism like "The Sound of Music." If this movie was made today I'm afraid the Von Trapp children would not be dangling out of trees for fear of drive-by shooters. It's a tough new world today, sad to say. The 50s and 60s are looking better all the time.

Anyway, for what it's worth, "The Sound of Music" is indeed schmaltz, but its QUALITY schmaltz at its very, very best.
133 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New era of musical film
jeremychan-635171 January 2018
In thinking of The Sound of Music, one of the first things that comes to your mind might be soundtracks like "Do-Re-Mi," "My Favorite Things," "Edelweiss, "So Long, Farewell". The Sound Of Music did not only win the best original score, but along another nine academy awards. Best Picture, Best director, Best film editing, Best sound mixing, Best actress, Best supporting actress, Best cinematography, Best costume design, Best production design. The Sound of Music might be the most perceptible work of Robert Rise, Time Magazine described it as 'most popular attraction in the first half-century of the Hollywood feature film'. The justification is considerable. This movie does not forms part of this generation's childhood memories, but also brings fond memories for older generations.

According to Sound Of Music Companion The story is based on the real life story of the Von Trapp Family singers. Originated in 1926 - Austria, Maria(Julie Andrews) arrived at the Trapp family as a private tutor for the family of 10 after leaving Nonnberg Abbey. She gradually got the children immersed into music and enticed them to sing but faced opposition from Baron Von Trapp (Christopher Plummer) , their father. After Maria was sent back and forth from the Abbey, the father of 10 eventually had fallen in love with Maria and married her. The movie ends with the family fleeing when Hitler annexed their country, after participating in the Salzburg Festival Singing Competition.

Sound wise, the original score from The Sound Of Music, might be the best film music soundtrack in cinema history. The songs "My Favourite Thing"and "Do Re Mi" is still ranked 66 and 88 on AFI's 100 Top Movie Songs of All Time respectively .( AFI, no date) The composer Irwin Kostal has achieved his second academy award from the timeless classic film after Mary Poppins.(IMDb, no date) The song composed by the 'Disney Legend' is not only heart warming, but also enabled us to be fully engaged to the angel voices of the actors and actresses. The characters may be portrayed through the songs lyrics and melody. The Telegraph UK describes the voice of the cast as ' clear as a mountain stream and as pure as an angel ' .

Besides, the cinematography of the The Sound Of Music is also notable : the infamous opening scene of the camera sweeping across the Austrian Alps to catch Maria singing title song as she is running through the bright green grassland is an example.

The tone and mood of the movie may also be portrayed through different shots, especially the ending aerial shot with the Trapp family crossing the green hills to escape from Nazis with the song 'Climb Over Mountain' in the background.

Matching the phenomenal shots, music and choreography together, The Sound of Music indisputably is a spectacular classical musical film.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood's Last Great Musical
tfrizzell28 October 2000
"The Sound of Music" is an impressive musical that stands above other films of the genre because of interesting characters, top-notch direction, and a truly inspired screenplay. Julie Andrews (Oscar-nominated) stars as the young nun who leaves the convent to become the governess to a large family. She is instantly at odds with the children's father (Christopher Plummer), but they soon fall in love and get married. However, evil forces lurk overhead as the Nazis invade their homeland of Austria. Somewhat based on a true story, "The Sound of Music" is one of those rare musicals that works because there is a sense of fear and drama in the film's final act. This makes the film believable and none of the musical numbers take away from the story or the film's direction. 5 stars out of 5.
73 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The hills are alive with the sound of music..."
elvircorhodzic19 September 2017
THE SOUND OF MUSIC is a music romantic drama film which, through melodic and sentimental story, shows us a rhapsodic family. The film is an adaptation of the 1959 Broadway musical of the same name. The opening sequence is one of the most beautiful in the history of cinema. A charming scenery, with the musical score, is the biggest asset of this film.

The Sound of Music is based on the true story of the Trapp Family Singers. Maria is a young nun in an Austrian convent who regularly misses her morning prayers because she enjoys going to the hills to sing and enjoy in nature. Her imagination and lack of discipline cause some concern among the nuns. The Mother Abbess, believing Maria would be happier outside the abbey, sends her to the villa of retired naval officer Captain Georg von Trapp to be governess to his seven children. Arriving at the Trapp home, Maria discovers that her new boss is cold and harsh with his children. A young nun wants to change the condition in the house and returns a smile on the face of children, however, she falls into a sweetest life trap ...

A fictional reality flashing on all sides. Simply, it is hard to make sense. A warm and colorful family story is out of control. There are funny nuns, rich man with two faces, modest Baroness and an interesting fraud. A delicious lie in which song makes dreams come true.

Julie Andrews as Maria is "mischievous" nun full of enthusiasm and energy. Her character is attractive and lively while she sings. However, what is worse, she becomes an uninteresting character in the second part of the film, because she could not bring their feelings in a pale romance. Christopher Plummer as Captain von Trapp is a firm hand, which quickly opens and turns into a frivolous grimace.

Richard Haydn as Max Detweiler is a harmless impostor who sees all and slyly silent. Eleanor Parker as Baroness Elsa von Schraeder is a nice and fragile character. The children are very entertaining.

No matter what, if you like to sing and dance in a quiet night, this is the movie for you.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would you even want to solve a problem like Maria? She's wonderful!
Smells_Like_Cheese23 February 2005
Sound of Music is one of the best musicals of all time displaying one of the greatest voices to ever be heard on the silver screen: Julie Andrews. What a wonderful movie that not only I grew up with but still treasure to this day. Sound of Music has everything you could ask for: romance, humor, singing, dancing and a wonderful cast that put their heart and soul into this film. All the songs are recognizable, although I admit that still hearing "Few Favorite Things" is strange during Christmas time. But moving on, Sound of Music is a classic film that is still incredible to watch and I always enjoy slipping into my DVD player to this day.

Maria, a young nun in an Austrian convent who regularly misses her morning prayers because she enjoys going to the hills to sing the title song. Deciding that Maria needs to learn something about the real world before she can take her vows, the Mother Superior sends her off to be governess for the children of the widowed Captain Von Trapp. Arriving at the Trapp home, Maria discovers that her new boss is cold and aloof, and his seven children virtual automatons-at least, whenever the Captain is around. Otherwise, the kids are holy terrors, as evidenced by the fact that Maria is the latest in a long line of governesses. But Maria soon ingratiates herself with the children, especially oldest daughter Liesl, who is in love with teenaged messenger boy Rolf. As Maria herself begins to fall in love with the Captain, she rushes back to the Abbey so as not to complicate his impending marriage to a glamorous baroness. But the children insist that Maria return, the Baroness steps out of the picture, and Maria and the Captain confirm their love in the song "Something Good." Unhappily, they return home from their honeymoon shortly after the Nazis march into Austria. Already, swastikas have been hung on the Von Trapp ancestral home, and Liesl's boyfriend Rolf has been indoctrinated in the "glories" of the Third Reich. The biggest blow occurs when Von Trapp is called back to active duty in the service of the Fuhrer. The Captain wants nothing to do with Nazism, and he begins making plans to take himself and his family out of Austria.

Julie Andrews had come off fresh from Mary Poppins, which her character wasn't that far from being the nanny caring for children with a stuffy father. But the thing that made this film so special is that you honestly feel the love between Maria and Von Trapp, what a wonderful love story they had. The film is a bit long, but back in the day they had intermissions and oh, boy do I miss that. Come on, Lord of the Rings could have used one of those lol. Back onto Sound of Music, my favorite song is probably "Confidence in Me", such life to it due to Julie's beautiful voice and her dancing along the sidewalk could make anyone want to do the same thing. I love The Sound of Music, my boyfriend who hates musicals and said this was the crown of the worst, I asked him to watch it with me to see if he would give it another chance, I glanced over to see him singing a little to the songs! He finally admitted that the songs are very catchy, so see? You can find any little positive thing to say about this film, The Sound of Music brings you to life and you can't help but fall in love with this spectacular musical.

40 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the finest musicals!
lowerhay22 April 2018
...EVER!

Brilliant music.

Amazing scenery

Score.

Script.

Brilliant.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obviously a classic....
rebeccalucy5 December 2017
A great musical with beautiful songs! Julie Andrews is a fantastic singer and actor, and it is fun to see her in her younger years. I don't believe the film would be as good without her, she is perfectly suited to the role. Most of the child acting is decent, which can usually really impact a film.

The songs are absolutely classics and for a good reason. All further the story and fit, and they must have great song writers. Also, the settings are phenomenal with the mountain being iconic scenery now. Costumes are very nice, and reflect the mood of the scenes. However, the cinematography is basic but I think it is mainly due to the time period and equipment.

Just overall an amazing classic that everyone has watched or needs to!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.