Cinderella (TV Movie 1965) Poster

(1965 TV Movie)

The most memorable movie I remember seeing as a child!
keelys-kollectables17 February 2004
I was only about 6 years old, and back in the 60's, there weren't too many movies on television for children. I remember sitting in front of the small television on the floor mesmerized. The movie was a fantasy come to life! I have been looking for the movie for decades. Everytime I see a Cinderella movie, I check it to see if it is the one that I have been searching for these past 40 years. I have finally found it, and I can assure you, it is just as mesmerizing today, as it was back when I was just 6 years old. For a true fantasy, you can't find a better Cinderella than Lesley Ann Warren!
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Magical' is a word sometimes over-used...but not so here
moonspinner5510 January 2002
Absolutely enchanting live-television broadcast of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical play, with Lesley Ann Warren letter-perfect as the girl who sleeps among the ashes, taunted by her step-family until the night her fairy godmother comes to help her. Having seen this on network television as a rerun sometime in 1969/1970, I couldn't wait to see this again but feared it would be outdated and corny. It certainly isn't. Although not extravagant or technically-smooth, "Cinderella" connects with the viewer on a purely emotional basis, and that's its key charm. Stuart Damon is a gentle prince, Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers (!) are fine as the King and Queen, Celeste Holm is sweet as the good fairy. The songs are incredibly lilting and...well, NICE. What a treat for young and old alike!
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A True Classic!
phillindholm23 August 2005
Famed composers Richard Rodgers And Oscar Hammerstein wrote "Cinderella" as an original television musical (their only one) for young star-in-the-making Julie Andrews. Supported by a cast which included Edie Adams, Howard Lindsay, Dorothy Stickney, Ilka Chase, Kay Ballard, Alice Ghostley and Jon Cypher, it received a tremendous publicity campaign and aired on March 31 1957. At the time, it drew a record number of viewers, although only the East Coast saw the live color broadcast (the rest of the country saw a black-and-white kinescope.) And, due in part to the poor quality of the kinescope, it was not repeated again until 2004.

Meanwhile, in 1964, Rodgers decided to mount a new production himself (Hammerstein had since died) with a new cast and adaptation, replacing the farcial quality of the original with a more traditional version. The result was another ratings smash, and as intended, a television perennial which was repeated for years. This time, the title role was played by young Lesley Ann Warren, who was introduced in this production and began a career which is still going strong today. Stuart Damon (later to gain fame on "General Hospital") played the prince. The supporting cast had Academy Award-winners Celeste Holm, as the fairy godmother, Jo Van Fleet as the stepmother, and Ginger Rogers as the queen. The beloved Walter Pigeon was cast as the king. And, as the two stepsisters Prunella and Esmerelda, were Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick. Although the story stuck to the familiar fairy tale this time, the original songs were , of course, retained.

What more can be said for this near-perfect treasure? Ms. Warren is simply glorious as Cinderella, her fresh beauty complimented by her sweet singing voice, and Damon is her ideal Prince (Christopher) Charming. Celeste Holm sparkles as the fairy godmother, and she and Warren share one of the best numbers "Impossible/It's Possible". Van Fleet is a beautifully caustic stepmother, and both Carroll and Ruick are outstanding as the step-sisters. Unfortunately, both Rogers and Pigeon have little to do as the king and queen, but they ARE regal in their roles.

There are a couple of drawbacks--although critics at the time praised the "lavish production"; in reality it is done in the manner of a stage show, with sparse (and very basic) settings, and typical television camera-work. But the biggest error was using videotape instead of film for this production. Because of it's limitations, videotape does no justice to a show like this, severely limiting the visual values needed to compliment the other elements. It may be fine for situation comedies, but it was totally wrong for a musical fantasy. It must be admitted, however, that after a few minutes, one gets used to it, but what a difference film would have made! Because this version is the traditional one, it is my favorite of the two, but both are so different in approach and treatment, that each can be enjoyed on their own terms.

Two cast members of the 1965 version were already professionally acquainted with "Cinderella". Walter Pigeon provided the uncredited narration for the 1955 MGM film adaptation "The Glass Slipper" and Barbara Ruick was the daughter of character actress Lurene Tuttle, who played "Cousin Loulou" in the same movie. Another winner, that version featured Leslie Caron as Cinderella.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ten Minutes Ago...(sigh)
Enrique Sanchez23 May 2001
No other version of CINDERELLA will ever come close to the magical conception presented to America in 1965.

Reasons:

The Tunes: timeless, perfect, memorable, stuck-in-my-mind, forever in my heart, Rodgers and Hammerstein's most catchy words and music - bar none...

The Actors: from the tender innocence of Leslie Ann Warren to the giddily comical Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick, terrifically snide Jo Van Fleet, regal Ginger Rogers and Walter Pidgeon, handsome Stuart Damon,

The Story: simply told, tenderly and dramatically unfolded,

The Production: effectively suggests the magic by its otherworldly sets (no matter the changes in television and special effects that came much later in film history),

Forever an important part of growing up, still in my heart, my sister's heart and my dear parents' hearts...we often still sit down and watch...enjoying ever second together as if it were 1965, all over again.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Memories.........
rigel5611 October 2003
I was nine years old in 1965, and I fell head-over-heels in love with Lesley Ann Warren when I saw this film. I haven't seen it since the late '60s or so, but I still remember the songs and the overall feel of this classic (from a nine-year-old's point of view, of course). That just goes to show what a powerful effect a film can have when everything is done just right. One of these days I'll find this and watch again. Until then, I still have my memories.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Original for us Generation X-ers
Tremaine13 August 1998
This version of Cinderella as well as the 1997 version rank far above the 1950 Disney version of the film. The Prince has character, class, and a reason to fall in love with and find Cinderella, not just dance a dance at the Ball. Stuart Damon's voice is clear and unmatched in "The Loniness of Evening", mostly because other versions do not include this lovely song of romance and dreaming of true love. Leslie Ann Warren gives just the right amount of innocence and deception as she truly wins her prince, yet knows how to survive in the home of her step mother. Granted the production values are not up to par, but in 1964 they were state of the art. Unfortunately CBS stopped showing this wonderful story in the mid 70's and has never rebroadcast it since. However, the Disney Channel has broadcast it and of course it was redone by Disney 1997. This still proves that Rodgers and Hammerstein still are as fresh today as they were 40 years ago when they first penned this score.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The definitive version!
harper_blue1 April 2000
I was six years old when CBS premiered this updated version of the musical written for television. Rodgers and Hammerstein penned "Cinderella" in the Fifties, and Julie Andrews was cast in the lead role. I have been lucky enough to see a clip of her performing one of the songs on "The Ed Sullivan Show," and consider her unsuited for the role; even back then, her voice had a maturity that was unnatural for the character of a young girl.

But Lesley Ann Warren.... Let's say I fell in love that night, and have had a crush on Lesley Ann ever since, even after I've been married for eight years. (Grin) However, having seen this version any number of times now, I think I can give a more objective opinion.

Music: Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II supplied the score; need we say more? This show turned me on to R&S. In particular, "Ten Minutes Ago," "Impossible," and the instrumental waltz at the ball (where Warren and Stuart Damon have their first dance) are incredible.

Cast: Excellent all the way. More objectively than above, Lesley Ann Warren as the young innocent who wins true love was inspired; while her voice is a little undeveloped at this age, it lends a certain charm to the performance. Her dancing was excellent across the board; not surprising, since she was trained as a ballet dancer before taking this part.

Stuart Damon was also excellent as the Prince (unnamed in the production). Far more handsome in 1965 (logically!), he was wonderful as the romantic young here, returned from adventures, but without a wife to carry on the dynasty. An excellent singing voice, and he used it on some wonderful songs.

The others of the cast were, in short, generally great. Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers were wonderfully witty with each other; Jo Van Fleet, Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick as the stepmother and stepsisters were characters you love to hate; and Celeste Holm was an excellent, sympathetic fairy godmother.

Costumes: Cinderella in her ball gown was the main reason I fell in love with Lesley Ann! In that floaty gown, with her hair pulled up and a long Hepburn swan's neck, she was the picture of beauty to a six-year-old boy. Still is....

Production: This may let people down today if they rent or buy the videotape (Hallmark Entertainment). Logically enough, the state of the art had advanced in 35 years, and the jaded viewer of today may not accept the simple camera cuts and video dissolves of 1965. Ride with the boat; you'll still enjoy if you give it a chance.

Highly recommended, both to the student/historian of television and to the simple viewer. My 5-year-old daughter enjoys this tape immensely, and she's a child of the modern effects world!
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The classic version of Cinderella
Aussie_Seagull29 April 2004
I've only seen the 1965 version of R&H's Cinderella once.

I'm not sure why it's listed as 1965 as I'm sure I saw it in 1964.

In Melbourne, our fourth TV channel was about to launch (the first three commencing in 1956). I can remember the launch of ATV10 vividly. I used to watch the test pattern before it officially went to air. For much of the time they played the 1957 CBS LP of Cinderella because the "new" version was in their first week of programming.

I was 15 at the time and managed to record the music on reel to reel tape. I loved all Rogers and Hammerstein's productions and immediately was attracted to the music and lyrics. And one could argue that because everyone already knew the story of Cinderella the entire production almost worked in one's own mind by simply listening to that soundtrack.

It was musically so well done in the original 1957 version. Several years later I found the LP and couldn't buy it quick enough.

I saw the "1965" version and was totally absorbed with it. Arguably it was the best cast to ever perform it. So many stars who were all well cast. Particularly Barbara Ruick and Celeste Holme.

The only bit I've ever seen of the 1957 production is a B+W clip of Julie Andrews singing "In my own little corner". My God I wish I'd seen it live - in colour. I saw it in the TV special : Rogers and Hammerstein - The Sound of Movies.

I enjoyed the 1999 TV version - but I don't think Brandy was strong enough musically - and frankly I thought she was miscast. I also didn't like some changes to the fundamental rhythyms that R&H created.

I can't understand why the R&H version of Cinderella hasn't become as popular as the story itself. I guess this has something to do with the R&H Organisation. It would be a wonderful show for school children to perform.

The 1957 soundtrack is one of my favourites. And I would love to see the 1965 version again. Maybe it wasn't popular in Australia because I can't recall ATV10 ever screening it again. But R&H were very paternalistic over their shows. Possibly too much.

I think R&H's Cinderella will live forever.

A Lovely Night ... indeed!
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
just as I remember - excellent
lynnehss4 September 2005
I remember watching this as a little girl and loving it. I held a microphone up to the television to get the music and I would play it over and over again memorizing the lines and lyrics. When it came out on DVD last year I ordered it immediately. I waited until my family was out of the house and watched it over and over singing every word. It is just as I remembered. The sets are simple but that is part of its charm. The acting and singing are wonderful. Leslie Ann and Stuart make a perfect couple. The step sisters are hilarious at the ball. My favorite song is "10 minutes ago" Her gown is beautiful. If you remember seeing this as a child the DVD will not disappoint. Enjoy!
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Romantic Musical Fantasy that I grew up with...
ijonesiii29 December 2005
I grew up watching this 1966 version of the Broadway musical Cinderella, which was shown on an annual basis for several years after its initial premiere. This musical version of the classic fairy tale features some wonderful songs by Rodgers and Hammerstein and originally premiered on Broadway with Julie Andrews in the title role. Lesley Ann Warren plays the role here and 40 years later, no matter what else she does, Lesley Ann Warren will always, first and foremost, be Cinderella to me. She is utterly enchanting in the role and her rendition of "In My Own Little Corner" is charming. Celeste Holm made a delightful fairy godmother, Walter Piedgon and Ginger Rogers added a touch of class as the king and queen, and Stuart Damon made a handsome and elegant Prince Charming. Jo Van Fleet was a memorable evil stepmother and Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick score as the stepsisters and they stop the show with "Stepsisters' Lament", one of musical comedy's funniest songs. Well mounted with lavish sets and breathtaking costumes, Cinderella, like THE WIZARD OF OZ, should continue to be shown on an annual basis in order to renew our faith in miracles, love, and fantasies coming true. If this show is not available on DVD, it should be. A winner for children of all ages.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rodgers & Schrank, not Rodgers & Hammerstein
Flash Sheridan20 February 2017
A word of advice for those contemplating rewriting Oscar Hammerstein II: If you're not Oscar Hammerstein II, _don't_. People will still be ridiculing you a half century later. The original 1957 Rodgers & Hammerstein Cinderella, even in a awkward black and white kinescope print, is still worth watching, and created quite a fuss when it was rediscovered early in this millennium. This rewrite (including the importation of unrelated songs) by Joseph Schrank, even though in an excellent print with a mostly stellar cast, lacks all the wit, charm, and (dare I say it?) sense of genuine Rodgers & Hammerstein. Even if you can't bear to watch a primitive kinescope, instead of watching this, close your eyes and listen to the CD of the original–you'll get a far better sense of a charming tale.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lovely gem
Ruth Voboril15 April 2001
I was also six years old when this charming little gem first aired. My mother and father recognized how mesmerized my sister and I were, and always let us stay up for it each time it came on. And now, thirty five years later, I clearly remember its wonderful, innocent simplicity. Having grown up in the sixties and seventies I can appreciate the lack of special effects films had access to in those days. Acting and cinematography were what made films. Reading the other user comments have helped to stir my memories. Lesley Ann Warren's innocence and grace were enchanting. The title role was perfectly cast. Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers; what a wonderful, regal couple they made. And the young romance of the Prince and Cinderella even made my father weepy!

I probably haven't seen this film since I was ten. But the very lovely memory is still with me.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cinderella: Wonderful movie!!
s_kasmith38 December 2005
My girlfriend and I were up late tonight, thinking about all the TV shows and movies that were are favorites when we were little. I almost immediately thought of this movie. I remember watching it and then having my mother tape it so my sisters and I could watch it whenever. We fell in love with it. We would act it out and try to recite the songs for hours on end after watching it. I can remember just humming the tune of the songs in the movie because I was too young to catch onto the words-sometimes I remember just making up my own words because I wanted to be just like Cinderella. Now-that was when I was seven or so. Today, I am 18 years old and am in college and still love this fairytale. Well, fairy tales in general. Just remembering the movie brought back so many memories and wonderful times spent with my sisters. This website has made me want to seriously run out and find where I can buy this movie. I will get it as soon as possible! I will always remember and treasure this movie. I can especially remember idolizing the actress that played Cinderella and wanting to be just like her someday. And honestly, I'm still wishing and praying that it will happen-someday I'll find my Prince. Thanks again SO much for these wonderful memories!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Charming and delightful version of Cinderella
pbhughes6226 November 2005
This is a delightful 1960's version of Cinderella tale. The sets are admittedly sparse but in a dreamy and whimsical way - besides, I confess to growing up watching TV specials with these kind of sets so they don't bother me! (In fact, it's kind of fun to imagine the cigar chomping studio hands wheeling Cinderella's coach and fireplace, etc. around, maybe during commercials if this was originally broadcast live, and if it was produced in New York, it's fun to imagine the actors stepping out to go audition for soap operas and Broadway shows on their lunch hour.) What a fun cast! Lesley Ann Warren is delicately lovely as Cinderella from her huge doe eyes, swanlike neck, and pretty voice, and Stuart Damon is perfect as the Prince, both come across as very warm and winsome. I love the stepmother and stepsisters, they are hilarious! The Rogers and Hammerstein songs are memorable, I'm not sure what the titles are but they include Cinderella's song while sitting by the fireside, "in my own little corner, in my own little chair, I can be whatever I want to be", the exciting announcement "the Prince is giving a ball!", the fairy godmother's song about how "Impossible things are happ'ning every day!", the romantic song when Cinderella arrives at the ball, "ten minutes ago I saw you", the jealous stepsisters' song about "why should a fellow want a girl like her", and perhaps best of all, the moving song "do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?" For some reason the scenes where Cinderella meets the Prince by the well and offers him some water are especially touching, you get the feeling that the Prince and Cinderella really love each other, and not just 'because they're beautiful'. In fact, the sparse sets are perfect in that Cinderella is not dreaming of a fancy palace or clothes, she is in love!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Lovely Night...A Lovely Show!
captgeoslady11 September 2002
I remember the first time I saw this wonderful movie. It was the very first night it was broadcast. I saw it with my parents and my sister and I was 8 years old. I fell in love that night...with the Prince (Stuart Damon), Cinderella (Lesley Ann Warren), and the rest of the cast as well! I saw it everytime it aired...up til the last time! Who knew, when I misbehaved that day and got sent to bed that it was the last time it would air on broadcast tv??

I remembered all the songs, all the costumes. Who cared if the sets looked cheesy? This was the very first movie that ever spoke to me. I have remembered it all my life. And today I finally got to see it again! I just bought the video today - and I've watched it 3 times already tonight! (making up for lost time <grin>)

I would have loved to see the Julie Andrews version...but it was aired the year I was born and never aired again. I did see the Disney 97 version...and I HATED it! Not worth my time! (except maybe for Jason Alexander! <nuther grin>

For pure simple family entertainment this movie tops my list. And it should top everyone else's as well!
The most purely Romantic musical
drkfj20 October 2000
A true Classic;warm, genuine,funny but most of all Romantic. The scene where Cinderella appears at the top of the stairs and descends(without A sound)and then waltzes with the prince is most memeorable. Both Stuart Damon and Lesley Ann Warren were excellent, but not perfect.Their singing occassionally flattens out, but that adds to the innocent joy of this Classic While I found the Disney remake admirable in its color-blindness, it lost some innocence.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the better Rodgers and Hammersteins' musicals
mwhitmore034 August 2001
Cinderella was definitely one of Rodgers' and Hammersteins' better musicals. Far better than Carousel. Lesley Ann Warren was charming in her breakthrough performance. Also has a cracking soundtrack. Despite the fact that it was a TV movie, Rodgers and Hammersteins' Cinderella was a fun and interesting film.
another memory of a 6 year old girl
julie5222 June 2001
I saw Lesley Ann Warren today in All of It and was reminded again of her as Cinderella which I saw when it was first shown on TV when I was 6. I'm fascinated to see the comments from other viewers who also remember it so vividly and from a similar age.
Still A Classic
kso80826 March 2002
I just saw the 1965 TV version of "Cinderella" on video tonight, and had not seen it in over 30 years, and it still remains the classic that it is. I first remember seeing it in 1966, at age 10, on CBS television in prime-time and a number of tunes have stayed in my head all these years. Songs such as "In My Own Little Corner," "Impossible," and "Why Would A Fellow Want A Girl Like Her?" are real gems and have stood the test of time.

This TV production, although simple by today's technology, retains all of the original magic as when I had first seen it. "Cinderella" is perfectly cast here, with the lead played by the meek budding actress Leslie Ann Warren, in her debut. Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers as the King and Queen, respectively, give true meaning to those positions of status. And Cinderella's stepmother, as portrayed by Jo Van Fleet, displays a catty quality that has her in fine form. The two stepsisters, as portrayed by Nancy Ruick and Pat Carroll, are hilarious at times. The costumes are really effective for the period of time they portray.

Young children, especially young ballerinas, would appreciate this fine TV production.
A Queen Made in Secret
Aloneandatpeace22 December 2008
I agree, the classic Cinderella movie is the essence of dreams for many young women. I saw this movie with my Big Mama and Little Mama, in 1965 until it stopped appearing for they both passed away. The Wizard of Oz would show first, then came Cinderella. This movie provided me hope for ten years later, I was crowned the high school queen of my entire school. My life was similar to ashes, but I watched Cinderella each year with my two grannies and that day came when I was crowned a Queen. I finally purchased it on DVD, and every year I watch Cinderella and the Wizard of Oz to celebrate those precious moment shared with both my grannies (mother and daughter)
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best musicals ever!
bmbdsm22 February 2006
This film is a treasure. Everything about it is perfect. The cast give amazing performances. Lesley Ann Warren is excellent as Cinderella, as is Stuart Damon as Prince Charming. Celeste Holm is wonderful as the Fairy Godmother. Walter Pigeon and Ginger Rogers are great as the King and Queen. Jo Van Fleet is amazing as the Wicked Stepmother, and Pat Carroll and Barbara Ruick are hilarious as the Stepsisters. The songs, including "In My Own Little Corner", "Impossible; It's Possible!", "Ten Minutes Ago", and "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful", are some of Rodgers and Hammerstein's greatest (you can't help but hum them)! The sets and costumes have a beautiful storybook quality to them. This is a film not to miss! Recommended. 10/10
Cindy Gets Her Man in Wonderful Production ****
edwagreen20 January 2006
This excellent version of Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella is a class act. This is a far better version than the 1957 original television production which was awful.

Lesley Ann Warren and Stuart Damon are just wonderful and elegant as Cinderella and her prince respectively. Their voices ring true to happiness.

Jo Van Fleet again proves her adeptness at being a difficult mother. This time, she does it in a comedic way. Her scene with the prince at the ball is a riot. Looking at herself in the mirror, she knows what she is.

Celeste Holm should be everyone's fairy god-mother. She has always been a voice for toleration from her scenes in "Gentleman's Agreement," and she shows it again in this fine production.

Get to your video stores and have the kiddies see this wonderful movie. They'll yell for more.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In my own little corner....
Shun Li10 May 2001
I loved this movie! It was absolutely fantabulous! It was romantic and sweet, and those songs will get stuck in your head forever! I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone, especially families! You can be whatever you want to be!
A Magical and Romantic Musical
sdhughes19 April 2002
The definitive version of Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella. While the 1997 remake was a state-of-the-art production with arguably better singers, it had none of the magic of this 1965 made-for-TV version. I fell in love with Lesley Ann Warren when I first saw this at age 8, through her enchanting portrayal of the innocent and hopeful Cinderella. I recently saw it again, this time sharing the experience with my 8 year old daughter. True, the original broadcast tape lacks detail, the sound is not pristine, several of the edits are amateurish, the sets are low-budget--none of that matters. The songs are among Rodgers & Hammerstein's best, the story is simple and romantic, the cast is first-rate, and Lesley Ann Warren--her performance had me tearing just like it did the last time I saw it nearly 30 years ago. Highly recommended. 9 out of 10.
In the minority again
Stu-429 June 2010
I know that I run the risk of upsetting some fans here, but I just have to be honest. I have watched this one with my 7 yr old daughter several times and although I must admit I've grown to like one or two things here, it really is a very bad movie. Some of the songs are not too nauseating and one or two are actually cute like the "Christopher Rupert" part. Just because it seems to appeal to young people so much I took it easy on it rating wise, but it may well be the overall worst performance of a cast in its entirety of all time. I've never seen a movie where every single performance is terrible with this many talented people. That tells me something else was wrong, maybe the director? Ms. Warren looks and sings OK I suppose, but her acting is pretty stiff to put it nicely. The rest of the cast is actually much worse with Stuart Damon giving an unbelievably uncharismatic and stilted rendition of the prince. Even the king and queen are just awful and I love Ginger Rogers! Walter Pidgeon looked asleep as did just about everyone else. The stepmother and stepsisters get an A for effort here, but the acting was from the land of the zombies or mummies or something. Very strange. I can't quite figure out what people like about this and of course I'm talking about adults. No, I'm sorry, but the Disney animated version is absolutely superior in every single way.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this