Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (TV Series 1964–1968) Poster

Great TV series
dragster-229 October 2005
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was one of my favorite U.S. TV shows! I couldn't wait to get back home from school to watch the antics of the Admiral, the Capt.,Kowalski and the gang as they headed for an unknown destiny amidst the waves of the deep blue sea. It might seem outdated today, but it was a SUPER sci-fi show back then!!! I liked the photography of the entire series and the Seaview was a fascinating piece of prop work just like the Enterprise (Star Trek). The music adopted for the show was ideal for the weird settings in each episode. The monsters and the aliens that showed up in each new episode reminded me of another fabulous TV series called the Outer Limits. Overall, Richard Basehart, RIP, and David Hedison were two extremely fine actors. A must in every true science fiction lover's film library.
32 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you want entertainment, watch Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...
showgirl8 October 1998
If you want to be really entertained, then watch Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. With a wide variety of monsters, aliens, and special guest stars, you'll want to watch this show again and again. I personally think it was one of the most clever shows and it should always be remembered.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great stuff
grahamsj38 January 2005
This was great stuff for the time. I remember that my family rarely missed this show! Richard Basehart as Adm. Harriman Nelson and David Hedison as Capt. Lee Crane were always searching for new undersea discoveries. These, of course, very often led to adventure and drama. We never knew when the Seaview was on her last voyage. There were often giant undersea monsters to deal with. And, of course, even though they haven't been spotted by man in all of written history, they were THE biggest danger of our time. They obviously had to be dealt with, now didn't they? By today's standards, the special effects were quite laughable but for their day, they did their job. I recall some of these shows even today, decades later.
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Sci Fi hit of the 60s
gooelf5024 November 2007
I was just a teenager when this series was popular. I'd lie on the carpet in our living room and watch the plot of each episode unfold on our family's 21 inch black and white Electohome. The special effects were somewhat crude by today's digitalized standards, but they were state of the art at the time. The series centered around the experiences of the crew of the "Seaview", a remarkable nuclear submarine with capabilities far beyond those of the common submarines of the day. It could dive deeper and go faster than conventional undersea vessels and, as if that weren't enough, it could launch a small flying submarine that was as adept at flying in the stratosphere as it was at plying the depths of the world's oceans. The captain of the Seaview was Lee Crane, played by David Hedison. He was responsible for the day to day navigation and operation of the "Seaview". The ship was designed by Admiral Harriman Nelson, played by Richard Basehart. Admiral Nelson was always on the "Seaview" and made the larger decisions regarding the activities and challenges to be undertaken by the ship and it's intrepid crew. The Seaview often encountered monsters during it's explorations and these were my favorite episodes. More often however, the plot of the episode dealt with the larger political and environmental issues of the time. A great series that was about as stimulating as a young mind could wish for.
18 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most reliable characters on television!
evolbaby25 August 2008
I was so young when this show debuted I couldn't stay up to watch it. However, I could hear the theme song and it was beautiful. It's got to be my favorite theme song because it communicates what the show is about, the wonders of the sea.

Every kid on the block would tune into this show when it was on and although I had to catch it in reruns several years later, that's when I got hooked. The show was too 'grown up ' for me at the time and didn't have enough women in mini-skirts and false eyelashes for me. This was a 'man's man' show and I was so sick of war at the time I could only get interested if a babe or a monster appeared on the show. I do remember a few episodes when they debuted and they're classics now.

Later, channel 7, ABC in New York City would rerun the show on Saturday afternoons and it's still the ultimate Saturday afternoon show and I fondly recall that music wafting from every house for a mile around like clockwork every Saturday.

This brings me to the reliability of the actors. These were people you could count on to bring you solid performances and characters you knew you could depend upon. That's what VTTBOTS is all about for me, the portrayal of people who were professionals and had the character to solve those problems they'd wind up in.

I often laugh at some episodes knowing Irwin Allen and his penchant for stock footage, rehashed sets and props, monkeys, and explosions were more of a menace to the crew than the plot points and evil scientists.

One episode had the late great actor Victor Buono as an evil scientist. This episode you have to see to believe. It's so hysterically funny I woke up neighbors one day watching it.

It's not all laughs however as some great drama was portrayed on the show which made me look at the cast with respect and admiration to this day. Remember this show was in the early 60's and having minorities on a show was rare so you have to bypass the political incorrectness to appreciate the show for what it is.

By all means if you can get past the plot holes and the trademark Irwin Allen cost saving production, you'll find some stories and acting that will really be something to treasure.
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"F.S.-1 To Seaview!"
ShadeGrenade3 May 2007
Created by Irwin Allen, 'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea' was a long-running science fiction series based on the hit Twentieth Century Fox movie of the same name. Basically, it told of the colourful exploits of the Seaview, the world's most technologically advanced submarine, commanded by Captain Lee Crane and created by Admiral Harriman Nelson ( Rtd. ) of 'The Nelson Institute Of Marine Research'. Each week, the sub would save the world either from saboteurs, aliens or monsters. David Hedison and the late Richard Basehart brought more to the characters than was ever there on paper. Four seasons were produced - of which the first was the best - and the show was a favourite of mine when I was a boy.

Rather than regurgitate the show's well-documented history, however, I want to use this review to recount a personal memory.

In the early '90's, Britain's Channel 4 announced that it had purchased the entire run, and planned to screen it on Sunday afternoons in the slot vacated by 'Lost In Space'. I was overjoyed. The last reruns of 'Voyage' ( as it shall henceforth be referred to ) were back in the early '80's, and took the form of sporadic showings of Season 2 and 3 stories such as 'The Mechanical Man' and 'The Lost Bomb' ( I'm referring to the H.T.V. screenings. Other regions may have had different ones ). Particularly exciting was the news that the run included the first season, which I had never before seen. Being black and white effectively precluded it from a reshowing in the colour crazy '70's.

So, in 1990, the Seaview set sail again. But there was a problem. In my neck of the woods, we had S4C - the Welsh fourth channel - and they commenced the run several weeks behind Channel 4. Which meant that when English viewers got onto the colour episodes, we were still watching the monochrome ones.

Nothing wrong with that, you may think. I was grateful to be seeing 'Voyage' at all. But then The First Gulf War happened. Someone at Channel 4 realised that the episode 'The Magnus Beam' was too close to what was happening in the real world - set in the Middle East, it concerned a madman who wanted to start World War Three by capturing U.S. spy planes, and decided it was not suitable for screening at that time. It was shelved - along with 'The Blizzard Makers', whose only crime it seems was to mention The Gulf Stream several times. The run carried on without them.

After the war ended, Channel 4 showed the episodes. All seemed well. S4C then made a staggering blunder. After 'The Magnus Beam', they were to have followed C4's lead by screening 'The Blizzard Makers' before recommencing the normal order. But they didn't. Instead they put on 'Leviathan', the seventh episode of Season 2! I was horrified. The station had managed to omit a dozen episodes ( six from the first year, six from the second ). Any hope I had of building a complete library of 'Voyage' episodes went straight out the window. Amongst the 'lost' stories were classics like 'Jonah & The Whale' and 'And Five Of Us Are Left'. It would be like a comprehensive 'Star Trek' season forgetting to include 'The City On The Edge Of Forever' and 'Amok Time'.

Enraged, I fired off a letter to S4C, hoping to obtain an explanation for this act of crass stupidity. I eventually got a reply. The unsigned letter claimed that the decision to skip twelve episodes was Channel 4's, insisting that the S4C transmissions should harmonise with theirs. I didn't buy it. For one thing, they were still a week behind, and secondly, why would an English television station care what was being shown in Wales? 'The Waltons' was also being rerun at the same time, and S4C's reverential treatment of 'John-Boy' and company contrasted sharply with its unmistakable contempt for 'Voyage'. The letter writer concluded by inviting me to take the matter up with Channel 4. In other words, they were passing the buck. They had messed up, and were refusing to even say sorry. I tossed the letter in the bin.

S4C weren't finished with 'Voyage' either. A screening of the Season 3 episode 'The Death Watch' was plagued by so many technical problems it rendered the plot incomprehensible. A year later, 'Cave Of The Dead' was displaced by coverage of the Urdd Eisteddfod, never to be rescheduled. None of this would have mattered had the series been available on V.H.S. at the time. It wasn't. I had to wait fourteen years to see the missing twelve, when 'Voyage' was rerun on the Sky satellite channel 'F.X.289''. And then they only ran the first two seasons. If you think the S4C debacle still rankles with me after all these years, you'd be right.

My 'Voyage' collection is still missing two episodes at the time of writing. Despite its popularity, Channel 4 have not shown the slightest interest in bringing it back. Admiral Nelson and Captain Crane faced many untold dangers over the years, but one peril even they could not overcome was the general incompetence of television programme planners.

CODA: It is now 14th January 2010. I have bought the Region 1 releases off eBay, so the story has a happy ending. Shame it took two decades for me to get there.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
classic TV sci-fi
JV-626 February 1999
I watched "Voyage..."as a kid in the 60's. I still love it. My favorite episode is "Menfish". This episode also is the only one were I've seen obvious goofs. Capt.Crane actually pulls off a piece of the set as the Seaview rocks back & forth. Great TV! Great Sci-fi! Always entertaining. Mr.Allen will be missed.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still a fun show for a lazy afternoon!
moonbus6923 August 2003
This was my favorite TV series, growing up in the 1960's. And it still is a fun show for a lazy afternoon, or late at night. Richard Basehart, as Admiral Nelson, was (and still is) like an uncle or grandfather to me. He always knew just what to do in any emergency, and his subtle sense of humor really makes him very likable too. David Hedison, playing Captain Lee Crane, was the person I wanted to be someday. And the relationship between Captain Crane and Admiral Nelson is almost like a father and son - some tension now and then, but they always respect each other in the end. Of course, the real stars of this TV series are the Seaview and the Flying Sub. Even today, many fans of the show collect and build model kits of these two amazingly cool submarines. No matter how silly some of the series plots and monsters look today, the Seaview and Flying Sub are still two of the best designed vehicles in the history of science fiction television. For this alone, Irwin Allen will always have my most heartfelt thanks and appreciation. Hopefully someone will attempt a new feature film of 'Voyage' someday, as was done with 'Lost In Space' in the late 90's.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Sci fi series
chris_gaskin1234 October 2004
I watched Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on TV when Channel 4 screened it on Sunday afternoons in the early 1990's.

The first series was black and white and the remaining episodes were in colour. It is about the Seaview nuclear powered submarine and each episode had a different story, including aliens, monsters and espionage.

The series starred Richard Basehart and David Hedison and was directed by the great Irwin Allen. The flying sub used in this series was to appear in Allen's 1971 movie City Beneath the Sea.

It would be nice to see this series again and for it to be released on Video/DVD.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea The TV Series
seaviewkat3 August 2005
A wonderful TV adaptation of the popular 1961 box office hit. Starring the wonderfully talented Richard Basehart as Admiral Harriman Nelson and a young and very handsome as well as talented David Hedison as Commander Lee Crane and of course the marvelous nuclear powered submarine Seaview of the future. This series was a mix of top notch spy thriller, science fiction at it's best and sometimes not the best but none the less entertaining and pure fantasy with a little bit of levity here and there. This show was produced at the height of the cold war by the master of disaster Irwin Allen who produced epic disaster flicks like The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. The first 31 episodes are black and white with the remaining 79 in color. This would be a wonderful TV series to release on DVD. It would be a dream come true to see it remastered and in wide screen. The popularity of this show which aired for 4 seasons led to other science fiction TV series like Lost In Space and Star Trek. The show with a wonderful cast led by Richard Basehart is a must see for all science fiction fans old and new.

Richard Basehart is best known for his 4 year stint as Admiral Nelson who is also the creator of the nuclear powered submarine Seaview and head of the Nelson Institute of Marine Research. He also starred in many films such as Moby Dick, La Strada, and He Walked By Night as well as other numerous stage and screen plays from the 1940's to the early 80's. He also starred in the highly acclaimed TV adaptation of The Andersonville Trial which received the Emmy for best outstanding drama.

David Hedison is best known for his role as Captain Lee Crane of the submarine Seaview. He also is known for films like The Fly and Irwin Allens The Lost World among other films and stage performances with other TV guest appearances too numerous to list.

Other cast members include Bob Dowdell as Chip Morton, Terry Becker as Chief Sharkey, Del Monroe as Kowalski, Paul Trinka as Patterson, Henry Kulky as Chief Jones (1st Season)and numerous other regular cast members and note worthy guest stars like Vincent Price, Robert Loggia, Robert Duvall, and Patrick Wayne to name a few.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great 1960's Sc-Fi Adeventure
DKosty12310 September 2007
Irwin Allen became known as a special effects wizard because of this series which was the most successful. The photography in it was always great, & Allen knows how to create effects. The SeaView - the main sub in the show would still be futuristic today. Of course the ideas for this series was spawned by the movie that preceded it with the same name.

Richard Basehart & David Hedison were great choices to be in command. They carried the dialog real well & there were plenty of good name guest stars in episodes too. Once in a while a pretty woman would stop in for an episode but most of the time the male cast carried this show to the top for ABC.

Later in the series, they introduced a flying submarine, something which in reality has still never been created. This show can really fire the imagination with how it worked. Now that it is on DVD, it might get some more new fans. As for Irwin Allen Productions, while they have done more recent work, since 1982's Code Red, there has not been as much success as this & the 60's & 70's stuff they did.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
USS Seaview
X-303-sg14 July 2005
This is a good undersea TV series at its time, and the cast we're brilliant especially Admiral Nelson and Capt Lee Crane. The ship its self is cute especially the little yellow escape pod thin that they use to go on away missions.

I remember when it first appeared in colour and the crew members with no rank was wearing their blue or red uniforms.

This is very simular to SeaQuest DSV, but a bit low tech.

The episode i remember is that they had a mummy on board and was going round knocking the crew unconscious, and with the sea-monster like from the black lagoon, wit his fins and yellowish eyes.

I'd love to watch them again if they were re-broadcasted.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great 60's series
zx56515 February 2002
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is one of the great series of 60's television. The special effects look are to laugh at, but that is what makes it great. The plot in each episode was the same: The Seaview being attacked by giant monsters from beneath the sea, and Adm. Nelson and Captain Lee saving the world from destruction. I would be cool if someone makes a new movie out of this TV series, because it's worth it. Action and adventure like only 60's TV could do it!
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They even had a leprechaun
Gary-16121 December 2000
The Seaview is confronted by a giant seaweed monster with two eyeballs. "I've never seen anything like it!" Exclaims Nelson. Yes, you have, it was on three episodes previously. In fact that eyeball monster was a regular fixture on the show. Whenever they ran out of ideas (which was all too frequent) out would come Mr Eye balls. In one episode they couldn't be bothered to show some rogue scientists so they just had someone relay the information that there were a bunch of rogue scientists on the seabed controlling Mr Eyeballs. They had a villain on board who kept talking to them through a walkie-talkie. Spare no expense!

But you gotta love those titles, usually self explanatory such as 'Terror on dinosaur island' or my personal favourite, 'The monster from outer space.' Highlights include a scientist who took a drug that expanded him in size. It also expanded his clothes and he sprouted fangs ('Behemoth', God, why do I remember that?) Also the under-sea spider. Well cool. Every week Kowalski would be chewed out by the chief or the crew would fling themselves from side to side of the sub. Getting bored with this they introduced a flying sub that would fly around endlessly for little reason and inevitably crash land.

On and on the series went. Eventually they dispensed with all the monsters and had the crew just walking up and down the corridors with the odd lobster man dropping in to break the monotony. Richard Basehart, seeing a once promising career disappearing under the beach break, became increasingly irritable as the series staggered on. In one episode the Seaview was taken over by seaweed for the umpteenth time and he was hilariously indifferent and short-tempered. Grabbing a laser gun with a 'don't-bother-me-with-this' shrug he flatly said "We'll burn it with this" and proceeded to do so with all the urgency of a man filling in a tax bill. Eventually the writers ran out of final scenes so the cast would just stand there looking at each other uncomfortably waiting for Nelson to ad lib something like "er, let's get under way."

It's missed. Sort of.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly Things About "Voyage"
joebergeron16 July 2006
1: Nelson orders the Seaview rigged for silent running. In the next scene we see it with its active sonar pinging madly away, as it always does. Seaview must be the most conspicuous sub in the ocean.

2: Nelson says they're 3000 feet deep in a trench 8 miles deep. Nevertheless, we see the sub threading a dangerous course between huge submerged pinnacles in the next scene. Seaview was usually running a submerged obstacle course when submerged, explaining the constant sonar pings, I suppose.

3: Seaview, sitting on the bottom, is emitting huge quantities of bubbles. Good luck surfacing again!

4: Seaview, moving "dead slow", detects the the wreck of another sub a short distance ahead; they can see it with their nose camera. A few seconds later the sub plows right into the wreck for no apparent reason. Great ship handling there, Crane!

5: The sub routinely makes emergency surfaces for no apparent reason. The sub explodes out of the water at a 60 degree angle, then smashes down. I'd like to see what happens on board when they do that.

6: The sub is often shown at steep angles, in pitch, roll, or both. Yet inside, everyone seems to be walking on a level deck.

And yet it's all rather entertaining...
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favourites but not without faults
andrewjones88824 October 2011
I was addicted to repeats of this on channel four back in the 90's when i was growing up! Admiral Nelson became a hero of mine and no matter what problem he faced it was normally resolved by firing a nuclear missile or torpedo. I tapped a vast amount of the episodes on VHS at the time and even wrote to channel four asking if they would ever show Voyage again...

This started off in b/w and had some very good episodes with some hard hitting stories with gritty moral issues and great acting. I'm afraid to say by the last two series it was pure monster of the week and Richard Baseheart looked bored and fed up as he tried to save the world from the next rubbery foe. Crew members would be killed or murdered by other crew members when they had been "taken over" this normally happened on a regular basis but in the end the scripts were so bad no one really cared.

Kowalski would get knocked out every episode when he went to check on the circuitry room-which was always left unguarded. The crew had access to firearms when they wanted as there seemed to be a arms locker in their quarters. Throwing bombs was a must onboard. If so much as a summers breeze blew on the hull it would result in the best firework display you have seen coming from the control room equipment.

Despite what i have mentioned....i still love this show! It's pure ocean bound fantasy and had a real nice atmosphere about it. No matter how bad the scripts got the actors hung in there, the sets and lighting were fantastic. when the budget allowed there were some nifty under water shots. I always wanted to lurk and stalk Seaviews always empty corridors or form a search party with the chief. This show often attracted some big names as guest stars...one that springs to mind is Vincent price who tried to take over the Seaview with glove puppets! I really liked the writers idea of future gadgets and weapons, just writing this is making me want the Admiral to go to his lab and knock up a weapon to save the day!

The thing i hated the most about this show was not the nit picks i mentioned i can live with them and there kind of fun,it was the damn editing. What idiot did they get to do it? one shot the Seaview had a double row of windows (from the film) next shot it was back to a single set. They would be in deep water and decided to launch the "flying sub" so a shot of it launching with Seaview on the surface is used. Take me to long to list all the editing goofs. I remember one episode where they are trapped on the sea floor but can launch the flying sub because they are on a ledge....you guessed it, same old shot of it launching when the ship is on the surface,what were they thinking?

Having said all that still great fun to watch.Go for the black and white and early colour episodes some real gems to be found.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seaview was the star
ericbryce21 June 2007
I was a kid back in the 60s and Voyage was one of my favorites. The plot lines followed the typical pattern of the day like other sci-fi shows back then. Every week a different undersea monster. The star of the show was the Seaview, a sleek nuclear sub with windows in the nose and fins designed after the 58 Cadillac. There were plenty of TV themed toys available back then I had to have my own Seaview. I got it one Christmas, It was yellow, about a foot long but I was disappointed to find a handle sticking out of the front so you could wind the rubber bands that made it go. Kinda ruined the aesthetics of the model. I also had the plastic model that was put together with glue like an airplane model. although it was much smaller. The closest I ever got to run it was in the bathtub and I had to make my own ping noises. My family must have thought I was nuts. The Seaview got a remodel in the last season with new windows in the nose and a docking birth underneath for the Flying Sub. I recently rented some DVDs from the series. As I expected they had not stood the test of time but back then it was all we had. Three channels if you were lucky. I kinda hope they don't try to do a remake because those things never work like that awful remake of Lost in Space.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hey, what idiot set off all these fireworks in the Control Room?
Joe39513 June 2005
Like seemingly everyone here, I adored VOYAGE as a child, but watching it today sure makes it easy to see why, say, the first STAR TREK series is fondly remembered, even revered, while VOYAGE is but a footnote of Sixties TV.

The chief reason is that, after four years and over a hundred episodes, not one character--not Admiral Nelson, not Lee Crane, not Chip Morton, not Sharkey, and certainly not Kowalski--is developed to the slightest degree. We knew as much (or as little) about these guys in 1968 as we did in 1965. Their dialogue was interchangeable. Their motivations for doing anything seemed driven purely by turn of the thin plots, and never by character. (Of course, this is true of EVERY Irwin Allen series--and,heck, all his movies, too. Character NEVER really interested him much.)

Another reason is the almost mind bending repetition in VOYAGE. The series fell into ruts that were beyond belief. There were the episodes that seemed nothing but monsters (mummy, fossil men, seaweed men, silver painted aliens)shambling through the roomy corridors. They never failed to visit the reactor room and the circuitry room and the missile room. (Time for another futile brawl! Cue the sparklers!) There were the shows where someone is impersonating Nelson or Crane or both or neither and after 52 minutes who the hell cared! Too many weeks, some oversize menace wrestled the Seaview until every sparkler in the Control Room was set off. And every week Allen trotted out the "dinosaur" from THE LOST WORLD or the imploding submarines from the VOYAGE feature. I'm surprised he never sneaked the Jupiter 2 or the Time Tunnel aboard (Although couldn't you just see Richard Basehart as Admiral Nelson's dyspeptic reaction to Jonathan Harris as Dr. Smith? Qh, the pain...the pain...!)

Having written all that, even I have some VOYAGE episodes I would rank up there with my favorites from STAR TREK, DR. WHO, and THE OUTER LIMITS for notable weirdness and perversity. How can I deny the bizarre pleasure of watching Michael Dunn in a clown suit roaming the Seaview with his Wax Men? What other show presented a potted orchid as a would-be world conqueror? And Harlan Ellison may have disowned it, but it's hard to beat his expanding plankton episode for sheer noise and confusion.

Yes, by all means let's have a new feature version of VOYAGE. But only if Rowan Atkinson can play Admiral Nelson at full steam and Bill Murray can enact Captain Crane at his deadpan best. And bring back the Two Eyeballs on Seaweed Monster...
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good start but bad at the end
darthquincunx2 June 2004
This show, as so often with TV series' produced by Irwin Allen, started out strong in the first season but by the time of the third season had become absolutely absurd with monsters and aliens trying to take over the world. Richard Basehart and David Hedison were brilliant in this series and made the show watchable. It's a shame that the scripts didn't give them chance to develop their characters. The special effects were good at first but the reuse of stock footage became tiresome in the end. Quite often props and monsters used in one Irwin Allen TV show appeared in another of his and he was still using some props in his later disaster movies.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the exciting, genuine predecessor to star trek...
ChananMattison16 July 2014
"voyage to the bottom of the sea" was the sixties' imaginative precursor to "star trek" in many ways. an artistically beautiful and super-capable sci-fi craft, launched into the great underwater frontier of our great oceanic world, still unappreciated in imagination as well as reality. yes, to be a kid at these times was an incredible blessing, and the series came on as really tremendously welcome relief to all the, well, too-many episodes of gun smoke and andy griffiths. it was much better to see the nuclear powered "Seaview" launched and ready to tango with anything the enemy could come up with, either alien or under-water monster. yes, the dramatic rapport between admiral nelson and captain crane was special, much like the descendant admiral picard and "number one." nostalgia – hope netflix puts it on, or i can find the DVD set around these parts of western canada.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Adaptation and one of the many successful Irwin Allen produced action-adventure shows of the 1960's. The phenomenal "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"
raysond2 February 2016
Created and produced by Irwin Allen ,"Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" was ABC's long-running science fiction/adventure series based on the box office 1961 theatrical feature of the same name starring Walter Pidegon. The television series,based on the same name told the colorful exploits of the Seaview,which was the world's most technologically advanced nuclear powered submarine under the command of it's creator Admiral Harriman Nelson(Richard Basehart) of "The Nelson Institute of Marine Research". Harriman's second in command of the Seaview was Captain Lee Crane(David Hedison). Each week was explosive underwater adventure and suspense that kept viewers tuned in as the crew aboard The Seaview faced unpredictable dangers and save the world from espionagen invaders, diabolical villains, saboteurs, aliens from other lifeforms and some of the scariest sea monsters ever conceived for television.

"Voyage" premiered on ABC's Monday night schedule on September 14,1964 where 32 episodes from Season 1 only where in black and white until April 19,1965. Then on September 19,1965 in it's second season,the show moved from Monday nights to Sunday nights in an earlier time slot for 78 color episodes for the remainder of it's four-year run until March 31,1968 where it faced stiff competition opposite the long-running animal show "Lassie",and "The Wonderful World of Disney". "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" produced in all a total of 110 episodes airing between September 14,1964 until March 31,1968. Created by Irwin Allen under his production company and the first of the trilogy of action- adventure shows he would produced for the network(the others were "The Time Tunnel","The Land of the Giants",and "Swiss Family Robinson").

The series was nominated for 8 Prime Time Emmys and winning 4 Prime Time Emmys in 1965 for Outstanding Individual Achievements In Entertainment- Special Photographic Effects(L.B. Abbott); and again in 1966 for Special Photographic Effects(L.B. Abbott);Outstanding Cinematopgraphy(Winton C. Hoch), Art Direction(William J. Creber); Art Direction and Mechanical Special Effects(Robert A. Tait);and in 1967 for Film and Sound Editing(Don Hall, Dick LeGrand, Daniel Mandell, John Mills),and Photographic Special Effects(L.B. Abbott). Other Emmy nominations were for Sound Editing, Film Editing, Art Direction, and Special Effects.

Several big time directors ranging from Jus Addiss, Jerry Hopper, Sobey Martin, Harry Harris, Leonard Horn, Robert Sparr, Nathan Juran, Sutton Roley, James Goldstone, Laslo Benedek, Gerd Oswald, Tom Gries, Alex March, Alan Crosland, and even Irwin Allen(who directed the pilot episode).

Fantastic writers contribute to some of the great stories which include Irwin Allen(who wrote the pilot episode). Others were William Welch, Allan Balter, John Hawkins, Ward Hawkins, Harlan Ellison, Don Brinkley, Sidney Marshall, Robert Vincent, Alan Caillou, Shimon Wincelberg, to Sidney Ellis and William Read Woodfield along with George Reed and Peter Packer.

The guest star roster for "Voyage" includes big time Hollywood greats including Susan Flannery, Mark Slade, Linda Cristal, Henry Jones, Malachi Throne, Jan Merlin, Leslie Nielsen, Werner Klemperer, Michael Ansara, Lloyd Bochner, Ford Rainey, Kevin Hagen, James Doohan, Eddie Albert, Richard Carlson, Yvonne Craig, June Lockhart, Brooke Bundy, Carroll O'Connor, Viveca Lindfors, Edward Asner, Ina Balin, Gia Scala, Gary Merrill, Victor Buono, Karen Steele, J.D. Cannon, Warren Oates, to Arthur Hill, James Darren, John Lupton, Michael Dunn, Vincent Price, Don Matheson, Robert Duvall,and John McGiver.

The best episodes from this series starts with the pilot episode "Eleven Days To Zero"(which was basically filmed in color but telecast in black and white). Season 1 episodes include "The Sky Is Falling", "Submarine Sunk Here", "Doomsday", "The Saboteur", "The Price of Doom", "The Fear Makers", "The Traitor", "The Mist of Silence", "No Way Out", "The Secret of the Loch","The City Beneath The Sea",and "Mutiny". Season 2 episodes include "The Mechanical Man", "The Cyborg","The Death Ship", "Jonah and the Whale", "Leviathan", "The X-Factor",and "The Phantom Strikes". Season 3 episodes include "The Lost Bomb","The Day The World Ended","Death from the Past","The Creature", "The Wax Men", and "Deadly Invasion". The Fourth and Final Season best episodes were "Edge of Doom", "No Way Back", "Cave of the Dead", "The Man of Many Faces", "Savage Jungle", "The Death Clock", "Man-Beast", "Attack!", "The Rescue", and "The Secret of the Deep" along with "Fires of Death".

When it was abruptly canceled in the Spring of 1968 after four seasons and 110 episodes, ABC didn't waste any time in finding a replacement on it's Sunday night time slot which was another Irwin Allen produced series "Land of the Giants" that ran for two seasons and 51 episodes from 1968-1970.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
IMO the best and saddest of the Irwin Allen 60's TV empire
stumpmee7720 April 2009
Ruined the same way as LIS--and in this instance the was no presence of children to excuse it. It was--had been gravitated towards an older audience. The characters remained the same, the crew being people in the navy had an air of realism and the cast were competent actors; at the end the acting was the lone contributor of keeping the show on. Oh yeah and for me, using the modern term: "Crane was hot". I scored it 8 because it was 2nd to Star Trek in its convincing me for a long time it was a real ship they were filming.

Clearly fault rests solely writers dropping the cloak and dagger spy genre of season one for taking inspiration from drafts of LIS season 2 & 3 episodes.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of Bubble, Lots of Trouble
rbcare-care10 July 2019
Many actors who never achieved major star status in movies eventually found fame (if not status) via television in the 1950s and beyond. Among the more genuinely talented performers was Richard Basehart, who finally achieved national fame as Admiral Nelson in the series, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, a TV spin-off of the 1961 20th Century Fox/Irwin Allen CinemaScope film of the same name,

Basehart began his acting career on stage and moved into film in the late 1940s. Though he was never in a major blockbuster his film work was varied. He started in a number of film noir features, including a leading role in a lesser-known MGM noir, Tension, in 1949. Ironically this was the closest Basehart was to come to achieving leading man status, and his shift from a nerdy, nervous, glasses-wearing drug store clerk who transforms himself into a sharp tough guy to trail his cheating wife is a varied and fully developed performance.

In the 1950s Basehart appeared in a variety of films, including the tense WW II Decision Before Dawn, and John Huston's Moby Dick (in the key supporting role of Ishmael, the narrator of the novel.) He even appeared in two Fellini films, Il Bidone, and the celebrated La Strada. But by1962 he was starring in the title role of The Private Life of Hitler, from the poverty row studio, Allied Artists.

Basehart finally achieved national fame in the TV Voyage which ran from 1964 to 1968, in the lead role of Admiral Nelson, (Walter Pidgeon in the film.) Captain Crane is played by David Hedison. The TV crew bypasses the movie's women (Barbara Eden, Joan Fontaine) but includes a few guys from the film, mainly Del Monroe as Kowalski, and a few new (male) characters, among them the amusing Terry Becker as Chief Sharkey. Essentially the series is an all-male cast, though a few women do show up as guest stars.

The scripts themselves are a mixed bag. As the show ran in an hour slot they often resort to padding and predictable endings, especially after season one. There's little of the film's tension between Nelson and Crane and the TV crew are a mutually supportive lot who run a pretty tight ship. The first season also credits a "guest star" for some episodes. Many are now in the "who?" category, and this practice was abandoned as the series ran on.

On DVD the show certainly looks great, as it should having been shot at 20th Century-Fox. The production values are obviously not as varied as in the film but what's there looks (and sounds) like a movie, even the first season which was shot in luminous black x white. The music, mainly by the film's composer, Paul Sawtell, and an amazing assortment of Hollywood "guest" composers, is profuse, atmospheric, and fully orchestrated. Music supervision is by Lionel Newman, the celebrated Alfred's brother.

Special efx are mainly limited to the models apparently used in the film but they work adequately, though the same cannot be said of the somewhat tacky monsters and aliens. The giant squid and octopus from the movie also make encore appearances. In Turn Back the Clock the rather repulsive live reptiles and a good deal of actual footage from Allen's 1960 The Lost World are recycled.

One of the all-round best episodes is also from season one, The Sky Is Falling, which uses the flying saucer and some opening footage from Fox's classic The Day The Earth Stood Still. The shots of the sunken saucer though the huge underwater windows of the Seaview are among the most impressive in the series.

But as a whole, as critic Stuart Galbraith IV notes ".... Allen just couldn't tell a good script from a bad one, and had no talent at all to nurture promising material into something good," but IMHO the series remains one of the better and still mostly entertaining examples of semi-high end '60s genre TV.

The prolific (and persistent) Allen went on produce two blockbusters in the '70s, The Poseidon Adventure ('71) and The Towering Inferno ('74). Two other 60s' series, The Time Tunnel, and Lost In Space, had preceded Voyage.

Ross Care
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing......and quite a thrill !
blackjack432001-121 October 2018
When this series followed the feature film , of the same decade, I thought this was most amazing and awesome series ever..... Nothing like it , until Star Trek, had ever been seen on the small screen. Rather dated now but just as enticing and when watching the series , when seen on TV, I'm 18 again and that in its self is worth the while. Ten stars? All things considered, it , the whole series , deserves way more.....
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are they Military or Civilian, inquiring minds want to know.
MiketheWhistle13 May 2018
I watched this as a kid and liked it somewhat.As an adult I have to say that it's confused me regarding whether or not the Seaview is supposed to be a military or civilian craft.This is no more so than in the one I'm watching now where someone wants to capture the Seaview to launch its nuclear weapons.In the prior show it's said to be civilian when they are used to transport the US President.Does it takeaway from the show?As an adult, yes.