The Addams Family (TV Series 1964–1966) Poster

(1964–1966)

A work of art.
Chrissie26 May 1999
The Addams Family was, in its own strange way, the healthiest TV family ever presented. The mother and father are utterly smitten with one another. They dote on their children and pay meticulous attention to their upbringing. The children, for their part, are respectful of their elders but brim-full of curiosity and mischief. The grandmother and uncle are loved and respected. Extended family members are admired and included. The butler shows great devotion to his employers, who repay him by providing a loving family. Thing (whatever it is) is appreciated for his omnipresent helpfulness. And visitors are always welcome and treated with the utmost courtesy.

The macabre touches are fun, and provide the fish-out-of-water running gag of outsiders trying to cope with the Addams' ghoulish world, but it's the relationships that make The Addams Family tick. Current sit-coms, with their focus on deception and underhanded tricks, would do well to emulate the Addamses.
101 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gomez Addams was my childhood hero!
Baroque8 December 2003
Believe it or not, as I watched this show in syndication when I was a tyke, I wanted to be Gomez Addams. Gomez was rich, happily married, dripping with Old World charm, had loving children, kind relatives, a devoted butler, lived in a great house, and the whole family did everything THEIR way, convention be damned!

He made wild, passionate love to his wife (and could turn his libido on and off like a light...yet all Morticia had to do was speak French!), and instead of drinking with the boys, he'd unwind with either yoga, juggling Indian clubs, bouncing on his trampoline, or blowing up his train set. His only vices were smoking cigars and drinking brandy, yet he seemed to do both in moderation.

I loved the little touches the show had. The coffee table with bundles of $100 bills in the drawer ("Petty cash, my good man!"), Lurch's Basso Profundo groan, the Butler's Chime that shook the entire house (with the pull cord a full-sized hangman's noose), the torture chamber turned into a "play room", the quirky decor of the house and the family taking in the moon while others took in the sun.

Gomez and Morticia were the first TV sitcom couple to have an implied sex life (a rather kinky one at that!), and the whole family was healthy and happy...if rather detached from established norms. It was a cleverly subversive program that shows one could be happy without fitting into society's standards. It was so touching to have the family thinking of OTHERS as being troubled and confused, while their own world was so blissful and joyous...even if everything around them was either Gothic or draped in black.

A show like this deserves to be re-issued onto DVD...and if possible, with the laughtrack removed (That would make it even MORE surreal!).
55 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic macabre fun. Forget the movies, the original and the best.
Infofreak6 January 2002
'The Addams Family' was one of my favourite TV shows growing up because of it's overall weirdness, which appealed to my sick sensibilities having been raised on a diet of Mad magazine and Hammer horror movies, and because it was genuinely funny. And all these years later it still is. As an adult I appreciate it on even more levels. With hindsight it manages to look like one of the most subversive shows ever shown on TV, while simultaneously showing one of the most loving, and well adjusted families in TV history! How ironic is that?

John Astin as Gomez Addams shows outstanding comic flair, and is still a delight to watch. (Try and track down the ahead of its time comic western 'Evil Roy Slade' for another wonderful Astin performance.) The chemistry between Astin and on-screen wife Morticia (the lovely Carolyn Jones) is smoldering AND hilarious, and the two are backed up by a fine supporting cast, especially former child star Jackie Coogan as the bizarre but lovable Uncle Fester.

Forget the hit and miss movies, these are the original and still the best Addams family. Wonderful fun!
40 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent High Level '60s Satire: (foghorn) "Mail's In..Thank You Thing"
zensixties1 November 2003
John Astin and Carolyn Jones brought the Charles Addams cartoons to life in this excellent counter-cultural '60s show. They each brought their own qualities to the characters, Astin his Zen Yogi Buddhism and his Shakespeare, Jones, her knitting and great looks. If you pay attention to the dialogue it's subversive on many levels which may be why ABC cancelled it after 2 years of great success.

Carolyn Jones is gothically georgeous with a great sing-songy voice that brings the dialogue to life, and a figure perfect enough to fit into that black widow dress. I always love how she says "Mail's In...Thank You Thing" when the foghorn sounds. Lurch is great when he moans all the time, and Fester with his gun "I'll shoot 'im in the back!".

I think the most poignant episode was when Rocky, a biker beatnik comes and the Addams' accept him as he is and teach his staunch father a lesson. His father tells them, "If there's a kook here, it's probably me". And at the end after everyone says "right", Morticia says, "reet"...a subtle message that she learned to be different from Rocky.

This hinted at the explosion of youth rebellion that was to come...and this series may have precipitated it on some level. The '60s had counter-culture all of a sudden injected into popular culture and it had an impact on the development of the actual counter culture of the late 60s...and even present day the "gothic" look can be traced directly to here.

Another memorable thing is Cousin Itt's tiny room everyone else had to crouch in and they hit their heads on the ceiling (now you know what Being John Malkovich was a rip-off of). And the moonbathing is great. But most important is the sexual chemistry between Morticia and Gomez: "Querida, that's French!" as he kisses his way up her arm. They never fought and prompted a psychologist to comment, "This is the healthiest show on TV". I myself grew up in an abusive disfunctional environment like many Americans, and this show was one of my respites as a kid because I knew Gomez and Morticia would never get mad at me or each other.

This show carried that je-ne-sais-quoi that a lot of '60s culture did, and there's nothing today that even comes close. There were alot of subtle things in the script you had to look for, like when Lurch always has whatever is requested on hand, Gomez' numerous Shakespeare references, and how they have to turn off the cave echo with a switch.

I finally saw the Addams' Family movie and it doesn't measure up to the original in any way. If you've never seen this show, you're in for some first class high level satire and memorable characters. Carolyn Jones' epitaph reads, "She gave joy to the world"...that cannot be denied.
41 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this proves that macabre can be funny
lee_eisenberg12 May 2005
The Addamses are a delightfully ghoulish family. Father Gomez (John Astin) clears his throat with a sword, mother Morticia (Carolyn Jones) owns several carnivorous plants, and servant Lurch (Ted Cassidy) somberly replies "You rang?" whenever someone rings the bell. And of course, there's their pet, a severed hand named Thing. The family spends their days engaging in activities that most would find weird (to be certain, everything that's normal to us is weird to them). For example, Uncle Fester (Jackie Coogan) likes to rest on a bed on nails. They go through their everyday lives (uh, lives?) doing the sorts of things that most people do, just differently (to say the least).

Among other things, "The Addams Family" was actually better than "The Munsters" (it was cleverer and not so silly). This truly represented a break from the "ideal American family" mold that had previously dominated TV, especially since Gomez and Morticia often got slinky with each other. Definitely watch it whenever it's on (TV Land is currently rerunning it).
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Genius And Ahead Of Its Time
gulmatan7 June 2004
This show had it ALL--the original thinking man's unconventional humor, sex appeal, the breaking and questioning of the conventions of conformity as well as looking at the world in a unique, offbeat frame of mind!! This show perfected the genre of "looking at the world from the opposite side of the lense."

Innovative, without a doubt--the one-liners, sight gags, catch phrases!

Carolyn Jones and John Astin were the consummate performers in every way--the sex appeal, the humor, the acting ability, their natural chemistry.

You just couldn't help but feel sorry for Lurch though. No matter what happens, he opts for the misery.

Night Court, Get Smart and The (1964) Addams Family--The perfect trio!

Matt A.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Addams Family, In Context
DeanNYC25 August 2006
The Addams Family comes from a very cultured place: the nimble mind and pen of Charles Addams, a cartoonist whose work appeared in the entertainingly droll "The New Yorker" magazine. Charles' "family" were a macabre and quaint set of well to do people who just happened to take pleasure in pain and who dressed in dark colors. This means that the cartoonist was the unofficial Grandaddy of Goth! When the concept of converting these ink doodles into a live action television program took place, the timing coincided with another "odd" family who also arrived on our Television doorsteps that same season: "The Munsters." In a way, that was a disservice to both programs, since the common traits they shared made them a constant comparison. Personally, though I don't believe they are in the same league.

Where "The Munsters" went for the slapstick schtick nearly every time, "The Addams Family" used more wordplay and more clever, witty attempts to bring a laugh. But even that wasn't the main difference between the programs.

The secret ingredient that The Addams Family had over their Mockingbird Lane counterparts was a single word: PASSION. Yes this was a family with a creepy home, kooky hobbies, mysterious eating habits, and spooky pets. But at the root, at the heart, at the altogether ooky core of the story was this one, great, huge love between Gomez and Morticia and the love they shared for all of the people in their lives. John Astin and Carolyn Jones were incredible, and for my money, are still the sexiest couple in TV history.

Though it was often played for laughs, as when the matriarch uttered a word in French and Gomez couldn't resist kissing up her arm, it was very palpable, in the pet names they called each other, in the way they tangoed or in how the pair chatted in each other's company. This was a family that cared about all of its members deeply, and that read as clear as a full moon over a cemetery.

The laughs of the program were just the spider on the web, and the laughs were plentiful and great. A stellar cast, very good special effects and smart story lines, plus a great set of music cues from Vic Mizzy that added just the right finish to a fantastic program. Next time you have a chance to view an episode, keep that love story in mind as the show's centerpiece and see if you don't appreciate it in a new and deeper way.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes It Is Okay to Be Different.
tfrizzell31 October 2003
One of the funnier and more enjoyable series of the period about a ghoulish family that just seems to be totally unaware of their strangeness. Led by John Astin and Carolyn Jones, the group included the two aforementioned performers as the parents to two creepy youngsters and the odd voices of reason to various other family members. Jackie Coogan definitely stole the show as the creepy Uncle Fester. A short run of success for three seasons ended in 1966 with only 64 episodes being made. Used to have a home in syndication, but is harder to find on television these days. The series had a renaissance in the early-1990s with two theatrical installments starring Raul Julia, Christopher Lloyd and Anjelica Huston. The movies are not on par with the series, the main reason for this is the fact that the situations and characters play out so much better on the boob tube. 4 stars out of 5.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Of The Best!!!
jeuk27 October 2005
This was the Best show of the best era for American situation comedies, the 1960s. John Astin was incredibly zany as the good natured, yet macabrely devoted husband Gomez, and the lovely Carolyn Jones played the sexily Gothic Morticia. I find it almost obscene that the show was cancelled after only two seasons, as along with the Munsters, it was still very popular with the masses.Was there an agreement by fundamentalists at both CBS and ABC TV networks to end both these shows? We'll never know! I only know that I much preferred the Addams's as it was just a little more sinister, and like most other teenage boys I was completely in love with Morticia.Jackie Coogan was great as the irrepressible Uncle Fester, causing massive explosions and coming up with weird, inconceivable experiments week after week.Then there were the children of the union, Wednesday and Pugsley. Wednesday was a cute little bag of nuts, her mother in the making, but Pugsley was a reminder to me of the boy who used to chase me home from school when I was about six!Then there was Ted Cassidy as Lurch with his darkly deep "You Rang?" voice, who also had his hand play the part of "Thing" when he was not on camera. Then there was of course, cousin Itt, that hairy little mischief maker that turned up from time to time. Gomez was very musical and of course full of energy, as demonstrated by his working out on the trampoline, and his constant overtures to the Beautiful Morticia. I could only ever give this show a conservative ten out of ten.There will never be another one like it!
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMERICA'S FIRST FAMILY TRUTH BE TOLD!
alphaspace14 July 2001
The Addams Family was supposed to be an odd ball rich excentric family of near monster almost circus type people who instead of be cound by all societies conventions lived by their own values. They were decent wonderful people with hearts understanding compassion the equal of some and, better than most in so called normal society. The Addam's so secure in their sense of self individually and as a family unit were completely unknowing or caring of the reactions of normal polite society. Indeed members of the Addams family to a person / it and, thing were so secure in themselves they oftebn felt it was the people of normal society who were weird and, that was the core of its comedic genius. Yes the props are all old the special effects are all painfully obvious to us sophisicated folk of the new millennium but the jokes the reactions of the people the whole Addams aura is still as alive in each of those episodes as it was they day they were shot.

You can not go wrong buying all these episodes each on a treasure in itself. Never has learning about human psychology and, seeing shallow superfical people for the fools they are ever been so much fun. I can not recommend anything more highly than getting these Addam's family episodes you will never regret it if you know how to laugh at all.

Real america beyond the fake and, plastic families who waste their lives trying to reach today's artifical moving traget ideal are just like the Addams Family. The Addams family said and, did those things that we all think of doing and, want to do if we were free of our conformist shackles of what makes a pretty house, a nice car, a beautiful gardenm, well adjusted children. Some might say the Addam's Family with their odd ways flouted societies conventions where I feel they lived up to each in its fullest.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Barn? Darling, That's Aunt Blemish!
RiffRaffMcKinley1 September 2007
I don't think I've ever seen an inferior product regarding the family Addams, but this original TV sitcom tops them all. After all, who but Carolyn Jones could offer her visitors (for their tea) saccharine in a ring she wore? And who but John Astin could capture the multifaceted personality of Gomez Addams, and actually show all facets equally?

A huge mistake I made was going into this show (which only happened recently, as a matter of fact) expecting some semblance of the '90s Anjelica Huston/Raul Julia movies. The two families, while both Addams, are totally different. The family in the films acts like they know they're unusual, while these Addamses are convinced that the world is full of nuts... a category in which they're not included. And in the TV show, Pugsley is nearly invisible, and Wednesday is more like Cindy Lou Who than Elvira's love child with Charles Manson.

Somehow, there's so much of this show that you never get over. Like the mystery of Thing, who never leaves the box. Or Lurch always ready to answer with a greeting of, "You rang?" Or Mama inflicting torture like a regular chiropractor.

Too soon ended and too long obscure, this classic is one of ABC's two best series ever. Duh-duh-duh-duh, snap snap!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ah, Tish!
OlYankee29 October 2006
What excellence! No one miscast. And Carolyn Jones. Each plot another chance to stick it to mainstream corporate America. And Carolyn Jones. Normal people revealed for the hypocrites they were and are. And Carolyn Jones. The basso profundo sounds of Lurch. And Carolyn Jones. Model trains used for what they were meant to be. And Carolyn Jones. Zen yogi (only Berra could top that one!). And Carolyn Jones. It's so nice to have a thing around the house. And Carolyn Jones. Wednesday's child and the enthusiasm of Pugsley. And Carolyn Jones. Those Festering wounds (a little less dynamite next time) and Granmama's vulture stew. And Carolyn Jones.

Ah, Tish, when you speak French it drives me wild!

Ah, Tish!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Social satire, 60s style!
When watching this show you notice that while externally it hides behind routine sitcom conventions, laugh tracks and sight gags, underneath it is a sharp and poignant social satire about the treatment of outsiders in America, circa 1960! Someone once joked to me that if the addams family were black this show would have been banned - there was an underlying truth to his statement!

The addams family represent everything that is old and outmoded by todays standards! Gomez follows old British traditions, has a rich family history and loves his wife dearly! Morticia is equal to him, but is always obedient to everything he does! They love each other, and there surroundings! The joke of the show is how others, ie the 'normal' people, react to them! They don't like their outmoded life style and try to change them! The addams family is a great show, but should not be viewed as a sitcom, rather a social commentary on times that are well and truly over!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
50 years ago...one of the strangest but one of the hilariously family comedies of all time "The Addams Family" premiered on ABC spawning 65 episodes in two seasons
raysond16 June 2004
On television,there were two kinds of people that we've loved to see each week,but there were options based on what we liked to watch on certain channels. With one exception: "The Addams Family",and "The Munsters" premiered within a week of each other on two different major television networks.

There were two kinds of people: People who liked "The Munsters",and people who liked "The Addams Family". You couldn't choose one without the other and to me it made some decency into this because during my childhood around my place of residence it sparked huge debates. However,"The Munsters" was on a rival network-CBS,and it starred Fred Gwynne and Yvonne DeCarlo and produced 70 episodes,all in black and white and was produced by Universal Television and Kayro-Vue Productions and filmed at Universal Studios in Hollywood. That series ran from September 24,1964 until May 12, 1966.

"The Addams Family" starred John Astin and Carolyn Jones was on ABC-TV and ran for two seasons,producing 65 episodes,all in black and white from September 18, 1964 and ending its run on April 8, 1966. The show was produced by Filmways Productions in Hollywood. Based on the cartoon characters created by Charles Addams under executive producers Nat Perrin and David Levy along with Al Simon,this series was indeed hilarious but very interesting to captured the surroundings involving the characters in the Addams' household. This was an excellent-counter cultural 60's show. First off,actors John Astin and Carolyn Jones brought Charles Addams' cartoon characters to life in this series in which they brought there own qualities to the characters they portrayed. John Astin brought his Zen Yogi Buddhism and his Shakespeare while Carolyn Jones was just gothically gorgeous with her knitting and great looks not to mention a great sing-songy voice that brings the dialogue to life,and a perfect figure to fit brilliantly into that black widow dress. Astin's character was Gomez Addams,a successfully wealthy tycoon who was happily married,dripping with Old World charm, was very devoted to his loving kids and was very loving to them,kind relatives(who were strange at times),a devoted butler,and the whole family did everything there way,including times where Gomez had the knack to blowing up train sets in his house and other weird stuff! Then,you have the children Wednesday and Pugsley(played with perfection by Ken Weatherwax and Lisa Loring)who were always into something or another,and also the butler Lurch(Ted Cassidy)with his Basso Profundo groan every time Mr. and Mrs. Addams would pulled the chime that shook the entire house(with a pull cord a full sized hangman's noose)when he would answer,"You rang?" There were other little touches that the show had,which was something that its rival "The Munsters" never had....The coffee table with bundles of $100 bills in the drawer,the torture chamber turned into a play room for the children and for Uncle Fester,the quirky decor of the house and family taking in the moon while others took in the sun. Also there was times when Morticia and Gomez had a implied sex life(and the first sitcom couple to do that...which you would never seen that on other sitcoms during the 1960's)which was rather kinky and outrageously funny.

Then there was the unpredictable Uncle Fester(Jackie Coogan)who was always experimenting on different things,and was the strangest character of them all,but in perspective,Jackie Coogan brought that role to life and the results are absolutely brilliant to what he did with the character. Then,there was the Grandmother or Grand ma-ma,and the strangest characters imaginable...Thing(which was a hand inside a box that delivered the family mail),and not to mention Cousin Itt(a relative of Morticia's with lots of hairy features)who would speak and communicate with unmentionable terms,and by the way,what would Cousin Itt be like without all that hair? something I would not like to find out.

This series came out at the explosion of the youth rebellion that was to come...and this series along with its fierecest competition,"The Munsters",which was on a rival network may have precipitated it at the level of total of the psychedelic movement that was to come after that series went off the air in 1966. The 1960's had a lot of counter culture and developed an impact to the actual culture which sparked an explosion of "hippie" freedom and expression of the mid to late-60's and to the "gothic" look and it can be traced directly to here. Also, to point out there is a lot of subversive dialogue that was in the series on many levels and check out some of the episodes where this has occurred. However,the musical theme by composer Vic Mizzy was brilliant on all levels,since Mizzy was a jazz composer who went big with many of the TV-themes of its era including "Green Acres",and several theatrical features starring Don Knotts from the mid-1960's and composed themes for several Saturday Morning cartoons.

However,when The Addams Family went off the air in 1966,network executives in charge of children's programming for NBC brought them back in 1973 for their own Saturday Morning cartoon show featuring the voices of Carolyn Jones,Jackie Coogan,and Ted Cassidy from the original series (minus John Astin who would return in the 1990's for a second animated version that was part of ABC's Saturday Morning schedule)which also ran for two seasons from 1973-1975.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you need anything just scream.
pekinman2 April 2010
It's easy to look back on an idealized childhood but the fact is it was never 'what it used to be' for the most part. One of the things that WAS as good as it used to be was the wonderfully funny and intelligent television series 'The Addams Family'. You may recognize your neighbors, friends and relations in this family.

Charles Addams simply dressed ordinary people up in outlandish clothing and let their natural personalities, long hidden from the public, bloom in all their weird gloriousness. The best comedy is always based on the truth and this show hits the bull's eye over and over again.

The Addams family is a shining beacon of sophistication, good manners, humorous tolerance, hospitality and love.

Cancel the cable and buy these dvds, you'll be much happier.
American Gothic
tracyfigueira29 July 2008
Audiences have always been divided between the Munsters and the Addams Family. Certainly it was easier to sympathize with the Munsters, who underneath their grotesque appearance were basically a sympathetic blue-collar family while the Addamses were wealthy eccentrics whose lifestyle was like something out of a Bunuel movie. Still, the Addamses had their good points. They were a close knit family with strong values; like the Munsters they were actually quite traditional underneath their macabre appearance. Gomez (John Astin) was an educated, cultivated businessman and entrepreneur who provided his family with an enviable lifestyle but who was always kind and generous to those less fortunate than himself. Morticia (Carolyn Jones) was a Gothic beauty who could have been painted by Goya (it's no surprise the Addamses were Spanish). Uncle Fester (Jackie Coogan) was hilarious, but the character I identified with the most was eternally grumpy butler Lurch (Ted Cassidy, a fellow Texan). While I liked "The Munsters" better, I will always have a soft spot for "The Addams Family."
great show
samcracc2 July 2007
Carolyn Jones as Morticia Frump Addams was beautiful. Ted Cassidy as Lurch is interesting. John Astin as Gomez Addams was Hilarius. Jackie Coogan as Uncle Fester Frump is funny. Ken Weatherwax as Pugsley Adams and Lisa Loring as Wednesday Friday Adams where cute. Marie Blake as Grandma Adams was very good. The Thing is cool. The lion is interesting. The Adams Family had a great location for the Mansion in Hollywood, Los Angles California. This story is 7 characters of The Adams Family, a Lion, and Thing a hand that comes out of the box. This show is excellent you will like this show, the Characters and the Adams Family Mansion.
It's The 60's What's On TV ? The Addams Family
FloatingOpera725 May 2006
The Addams Family (1964-1966): Starring John Astin, Carolyn Jones, Jackie Coogan, Blossom Rock, Ted Cassidy, Ken Weatherwax, Lisa Loring, Felix Silla, Director Sidney Lanfield.

The Addams Family was a hit comedy sitcom, unlike anything TV viewers in the mid 60's had ever seen before, having been accustomed to seeing such wholesome family sitcoms like "Leave It To Beaver" "Ozzie and Harriet" or the more zany "I Love Lucy". TV shows were changing and this is the decade that would see such off-beat, creative shows as "Gilligan's Island", "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeannie". For three seasons from 1964 to 1966 on CBS, Americans were welcomed into the bizarre domestic life of the Addams family, whose members were loosely based on New Yorker cartoonist Charles Addams' creations. John Astin portrayed Gomez, a wealthy lawyer who enjoys life, had eccentric tastes including yoga (at the time it was strange), playing with his trains and crashing them, Latin hour (he would dress in a toga and speak Latin, dueling, and his favorite- dancing with his hot wife. Gomez is a loving father, and, unlike other TV dads, displayed his sexual affections for his wife by kissing her up and down her arm whenever she spoke French to him. The beautiful Carolyn Jones, in a long, dragging black vampiric gown and long dark hair, portrayed his Gothic wife Morticia, who among other things, enjoyed sculpting, gardening or her idea of it(she would NOT cut the thorns),and ensuring that her two children Pugley and Wednesday live a creative and enriched life. Pugsley and Wednesday (Ken Weatherwas and Lisa Loring) were always looking to do mischief. Veteran actor Jackie Coogan (who had done silent films at one time) portrayed Uncle Fester, a Nosferatu-like bald man who was electrically charged (could light up a bulb by putting it in his mouth) and had a penchant for being tortured. Their butler was Frankenstein-like Lurch (Ted Cassidy) who answered the door, frightened away guests and could play beautiful harpsichord. The Addams lived in a world entirely of their own, but it was happy and they were functional and close-knit as a family. They always looked out for one another, and even Grandmama, the elderly witch (Blossom Rock) was revered and given due respect. Thing, the disembodied hand, helped with the mail and telephone and was "handy" to them. Often, the Addams' relatives dropped by, including the hairy Cousin Itt, Morticia's sister Ophelia and her mother (played by Wicked Witch of the West Margaret Hamilton)The music by Vic Mizzy was jazzy, upbeat and memorable. I can still hum many of the melodies. The jokes became repetitive after a while: The Addams did not fit in America in the 60's and were regarded as strange and even scary, but many times they were much better in character than the "normal" people. Their mansion was a large playground full of oddities. Gomez and Morticia were possibly the happiest married couple on TV, and were great together, especially when they did the tango. In 1966, the show experienced a decline in ratings but by then it had enjoyed a good run. It opened the doors to a new, innovative style of sitcom. Looking back, it was well-written and mostly a show better appreciated by adult and older audiences. It's a document in 60's television. Among some of the normal people included a parody of the Beatles, and there were even subtle references to swinging, free love, Morticia and Gomez enjoyed smoking from a hooka, and even a ton of 60's jazz, especially in the score by Vic Mizzy. One special guest star included the Robot from "Forbidden Planet" which everyone who had seen the movie at the time would have instantly recognized. The Addams had a rival family, another ghoulish clan- "The Munsters" who were on the rival network NBC, but both shows were actually being watched by the same demographic and both shows lasted the same amount of time, 3 seasons from '64 to '66. Both shows are equally great.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny show, with great acting
Barry-7327 January 2003
This old TV series is one of my all-time favorites. It seems that all of the actors were perfectly suited to the characters they played. John Astin was a great Gomez Addams. Carolyn Jones was a great Morticia Addams, Ted Cassidy was a great Lurch, and so forth. In fact Lurch, as played by Ted Cassidy, is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. And the interaction among all these characters is fabulous. These actors really put themselves into their characters. They just don't make TV shows like this any more! I believe I would score this series a perfect 10, or at least a 9. There is nothing I don't like about it. And the 1998-99 remake of this series is just not as good. The stories were actually quite funny, of the ones I've seen, but the actors weren't nearly as good no matter how hard they tried. There is just no substitute for John Astin, Carolyn Jones, Ted Cassidy and the rest. Watch for this series on TV or look for it in the video store if you've never seen it. You'll like it!
Gomez is Zen
jfwootten8 April 2002
I was recently told by a friend that I am so "Zen". As this friend is somewhat younger than I am, I had difficulty explaining my role model: The original Gomez Addams. Gomez Addams is the definition of Zen. While energizing and exciting, he never let the mayhem around him get him down. He was always happy, and remained focused on his love for his family and friends. Nothing got him down. He could be a role model for alot of us!
fantastic
rossrobinson15 November 2003
i remember this series as i saw it when i was young. I saw this on BBC Two years and years ago, this was on bbc two in the early 1990's. I do like the Addams family as i think they are a funny family. I give this 10 out of 10 because i just think it is a great series.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gem among gems of the 1960's
occupant-125 December 2001
From "Married With Children" all the way back to "The Bickersons", many US sitcom premises have relied on friction. The Addams Family series showed a supposedly weird family that turned out to be one of the most well-adjusted on television, possibly of any era. And it's important to note that this was a contribution of the show producers and writers that was added to the basic characters of Charles Addams. The original cartoons were single-joke frames, but the series developed a tight group of complimentary characters, among other things vindicating the comedic promise of former kid actor Jackie Coogan as Uncle Fester.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the REAL thing...
seashellz8 September 2001
THE MUNSTERS was just a rip off. This show is a scream, with the wild eyed Gomez, the delicious Morticia, the crazy Fenster, and of course Lurch.... too bad this hasnt been revived with the same interest as all the other mid-60 sitcoms...
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Talk French to me Tish"
bkoganbing24 July 2017
Like The Munsters though it only ran two seasons The Addams Family stayed forever in syndication. Unlike The Munsters there was no 'normal' character in there like Marilyn. Everybody in this family would have trouble fitting in.

The nuclear family unit was Gomez Addams wife Morticia aka Tish, and their children Pugsley and Wednesday. John Astin and Carolyn Jones as the parents got a chance to overact outrageously. Astin looked like he was having one great old time as Gomez, the most charmingly ghoulish man you'll ever meet. In that slinky black outfit Carolyn Jones wore, more than folks from the dark side were left drooling. Nothing like seeing Gomez courting Morticia especially when Carolyn Jones spoke French at him.

Jones had that titter whenever she walked. In the history of the show we never saw her feet.

Uncle Fester who lived with them was played by Jackie Coogan who was forever puttering away in his workshop inventing things he thought that every family of ghouls should have. His inventions were usually central to the plot of every episode.

Blossom Rock who was Jeanette MacDonald's sister played Grandma. She was about as helpless as Ruth Gordon in Every Which Way But Loose. No doubt this one sped through Pasadena regularly.

Finally the large ghoulish mansion the Addamses resided in had to have a butler that everyone looked up to. In this case it would be Lurch played by a 7' Ted Cassidy. Before he died, Cassidy and Richard Kiel competed for the same roles. Cassidy's "you rang" would send shivers up anyone's spine.

The Addams family seemed to be in syndication forever. And eventually a feature film was made with a new cast.

But it wasn't a patch on the television series.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.