The film was delayed for two years and was not shown in Britain until the Spring of 1963, when it was released as the lower half of a Hammer Films double-bill with Maniac (1963). It had been cut by Hammer (against Joseph Losey's wishes) from 96 minutes to 87 minutes, and it was cut by ten minutes more again when it was finally shown in America in 1965. However, the missing footage has been restored to the film for its DVD version and for 21st-century television showings.
Although submitted to the BBFC in 1961 the UK release was held back by almost a year after director Joseph Losey delayed making a requested censor cut which showed King beating Wells with his umbrella. Losey eventually made the cut and the film was released in 1963.
Freya's sculptures, on a bird/freedom theme, were all actual or ongoing works by Elisabeth Frink (1930-93) who was inspired by airmen she had seen in the Second World War. According to a detailed paper available online by Susan Felleman, Frink was present on the set to guide Viveca Lindfors in adding clay, or chipping at plaster.
"The Brink" was Losey's preferred title, although "The Abyss" was considered, but he thought it 'pretentious'. After the delay in release the studio preferred to link the film with the similar, though source unrelated, 1960 success "Village of the Damned (1960)".
Opening credits: All characters and incidents portrayed and the names used herein are fictitious and any similarity to the names character or history of any persons is entirely accidental and unintentional.