McHale's Navy (TV Series 1962–1966) Poster

(1962–1966)

A Classic
Brian Washington7 April 2003
After years of playing primarily dramatic roles, Ernest Borgnine really shines as the lovable con man Commander Quentin McHale. I loved "F-Troop", but you can see where that show got its inspiration. The supporting cast was also great, especially Joe Flynn playing his usual hot tempered authority figure in Captain Binghamton and Tim Conway playing the role that made him famous, the nerdish Ensign Parker.

This show is so funny you often wonder if we had a navy like this, how did we win the war.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Best TV comedy series Ever!
inframan24 August 2005
I started watching this in reruns in the mid-sixties. I'd watch it while having lunch on a stool in my kitchen in Oakland California.

It just blew me away. There I was - spraying avocado & sprouts sandwiches & salads all over the kitchen in uncontrollable hysteria - 3 or 4 gut-wrenching laughs for every chew-&-swallow.

Never since have I ever seen a show - TV series or feature film - with as great a complement of genuinely riotously talented comedians as McHale's Navy: Tim Conway, Joe Flynn, Carl Ballantine (comic magician on Ed Sullivan), Bob Hastings, Billy Sands. Even Gavin McLeod was on board & Ernest Borgnine gave it authority & glue! It was brilliant; as far as I'm concerned on a par with the Marx brothers & Abbott & Costello. Ageless & priceless!!!

So where's the DVD?
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Bring back McHale's Navy!
davidwb8822 February 2005
I recently had the pleasure of traveling to Los Angeles from Seattle with Ernest Borgnine. I was interested to find out that McHale's Navy was currently not being shown on TV. This show was without a doubt, one of the funniest shows of all time, featuring an ensemble cast that rivals any in the history of TV. I would just like to say to programmers out there, especially at Nick At Night and TV Land, BRING BACK McHALES NAVY! There are generations of young people that have never seen this classic show from TV's golden era, and that is a shame. Writers of todays TV comedies could learn more than a few things about whats funny from watching this wonderful show. It was truly a great example of what results from great writing, acting, and that magic chemistry that only happens once in a great while when you have a great ensemble cast.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
McHale's Navy TV Series
bobkudyba29 November 2005
I have always enjoyed Mchale's Navy, it has to be one of my all time favourite shows. The show was immensely popular in Australia during the 1960's and has returned regularly since then. The show joins many of those other TV SitComs of that 'Golden Era' of television, such as: Batman, Gilligan's Island, The Addams Family, Gomer Pyle, USMC and many more that kept us amused.

I always made sure I was home from school and seated in time for the show every Monday to Friday to see the wacky adventures of McHale and his crew as they managed to get themselves into yet another 'mess' in their daily battle of wits with their strictly by the book Captain Wallace B. Binghamton and Lieutenant Carpenter.

Ernest Borgnine has always been one of my favourite actors and his portrayal of the long suffering LTCOMDR Quinton McHale was first rate. McHale always seemed to have his hands full trying to keep his 'bunch of eight balls' in line, as well as have to contend with his bumbling Exec Officer, Ensign Parker (Tim Conway).

I thought Ernest Borgnine made the show, being the go-between his men and his stern CO, Capt Binghamton. McHale was always concocting some scheme to get his men off the hook with Binghamton, sometimes himself too, after they got into some mishap or other. Capt, Binghamton was also forever trying to invent some scheme to get McHale and his 'Pirates' shipped out, inevitably this backfired on the good Captain someway or another.

I still enjoy this show, it's as every bit as entertaining now as it was back in those good old days.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Borgnine's show, but Flynn & Conway were the real stars
frankfob6 April 2002
I know this was Ernest Borgnine's show, and though he played it too broadly sometimes, he was still pretty good in it. However, the main reason I watched the show was for Joe Flynn's Captain Binghamton and Tim Conway's Ensign Parker. Binghamton was always trying to nail McHale and his crew (he kept calling them "you and your pirates") and some of his schemes to get rid of them were hilarious, especially when, as usual, they blew up in his face. Conway's eager but almost totally incompetent Ensign Parker was a a joy to watch, due to Conway's comic genius. It was side-splitting to watch him squirm, stutter and completely fall apart whenever he was given any kind of responsibility at all; he'd try to do a good job, and it usually worked out in the end, but what happened in between was always good for a lot of laughs. I especially enjoyed watching him totally dissolve whenever Claudine Longet put the moves on him. Conway was one of TV's great clowns, as shown by his work on "The Carol Burnett Show," and he's at the top of his form; he had the amazing ability to move his body in three or four different directions at the same time--he would look like a marionette with the strings tangled--and that combined with his twitches, facial expressions and look of total incomprehension was a riot. Another actor I really enjoyed was Bob Hastings, who played Binghamton's loyal, long-suffering and abused underling, Lt. Carpenter. Carpenter was the ultimate company man, so eager to please his boss that he gladly entered into whatever lame-brained scheme Binghamton cooked up to discredit McHale ("Oh, good-o, sir, that's brilliant!"), which usually wound up with Binghamton's shifting the blame to him whenever it went wrong--which Carpenter, of course, always readily accepted ("I'm sorry, sir, of course it was all my fault"). Carl Ballantine's scheming Gruber, always on the lookout to make a (usually dishonest) buck, was a lot of fun, too.

I think the series lost a bit of steam when the location was moved from the South Pacific to Italy, and some of the supporting cast was somewhat weak (Gavin McLeod's Happy was especially annoying), but overall it was a very funny, enjoyable show, with some great byplay between Flynn and Conway.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A favorite TV series from the 1960s.
TxMike1 January 2005
While the 1950s may have been the TV boom in the US, the 1960s was when family entertainment really took a prime spot. 'McHale's Navy' ran while I was in high school and college, and was one of those TV series that most families set time aside to watch each week.

Ernest Borgnine was the nominal star of the series as Lt. Cmdr. Quinton McHale. He was earnest and mostly by the book, but his foil was the very funny Tim Conway who was the bumbling Ensign Charles Parker. Parker was everything that McHale was not, and a good portion of McHale's energy was fixing situations that Parker got them and the crew in.

And finally, Joe Flynn was perfect as their commanding officer, Capt. Wallace B. Binghamton. He was the stereotype, the half wit commander who only vaguely knew what was going on, and while trying to keep tabs on McHale and his crew, was usually in the process of being outwitted by them.

I very entertaining comedy series, I watch old episodes whenever I can catch them. As well as old episodes of the Carol Burnett show where Conway was an even bigger comedy hoot!
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Guilt-Free Fun !
parmrh28 May 2005
"McHale's Navy" manages to present THE PERFECT take on "War-Time Comedy", (eclipsed only by "M*A*S*H"). Some may point to "Hogan's Heroes" as being superior, but while I enjoyed that as a kid, nowadays I cannot get past "Hogan's Heroes"' simple-minded take on The Nazis and sugar-coated fantasy prison camp setting. The Nazis were NOT simple-minded, easily-fooled buffoons, and "Hogan's Heroes" is an insult to the ordeals endured by every Allied POW in WW2.

McHale's Navy" on the other hand,never insults the intelligence of The Viewer by taking too many broad liberties with history. The Japanese in Mchale's Navy are a serious enemy,(save for the harmless "Fuji" the escaped POW given shelter by McHale and Crew).

In "McHale's Navy", The REAL Enemy is..... THE BRASS!

That's where honest War-Time Comedy is meant to derive from,and where it is at it's best. When you spotlight the overly- officious asininity of The Higher Ranks, you get Genuine Comedy. It's a Truth that Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin, Floyd Gibbons and Richard Hooker understood; and that Truth is showcased no where better than in "McHale's Navy".
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Tim Conway and Joe Flynn -- two forgotten comic geniuses
tallguy622 July 2007
Who can resist the comic talent of Tim Conway? Further, who can resist both Conway and Flynn on the same show to "play off" one another? The result is hysterical. I recently bought this first season, after having seen McHale's Navy (the 1960s movie) and McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force. I had enjoyed them both, but was unaware that the original TV show is now available for purchase.

I am always sad that nowadays, comedians are vulgar and crude and do not need to have ANY talent in order to be popular. True comedy is one of the toughest things for an actor to portray well. Any fool can spew forth obscenities for a cheap laugh, but true comedy requires something more. Joe Flynn and Tim Conway both have that "something more" I am referring to. You will know what I am talking about if you watch any of these old episodes.

What a delightful television show with good writing and decent acting.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Classic TV
Thor200020 July 2001
My memories of watching this show coincide with the same days I used to stay home sick from, and in some cases "sick of," school. I loved staying home and watching the wacky adventures of McHale and his crew. Borgnine's big smiling face made him sort of my best buddy and his crew my extended family. I think the best appeal of the show was that it seemed to pay homages to so many of my favorites: Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, F Troop, The Andy Griffith Show and Get Smart just to name a few. Conway's character had a lot of Barney Fife in him, and the surreal humor reminded me a lot of Night Court. Maybe that's what makes a show a classic; by it's way to reinvent comedy where everyone can find some interest in it.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wonderful
TheLittleSongbird9 December 2010
I love McHales Navy. It is fun, witty and just great to watch. The scenery, locations, photography and sets are always striking and the music is great. I also love the hilarious writing and clever jokes, and the stories never cease to engage. The direction is also crisp, the episodes go at a cracking pace and it is just one of those comedy series that makes you happy every time. The cast should be thanked a lot too, Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway are brilliant as always, as is Joe Flynn.

All in all, a very engaging, very warm and very funny series with a talented cast. To cut a long story short, wonderful. 10/10 Bethany Cox
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Classic WWII comedy series starring Ernest Borgnine!
raysond31 August 2004
"McHale's Navy" is probably one of the classiest and the most funniest sitcom of its day to ever depict the misadventures of a misfit band of recruits who are in command and in charge of a PT Cruiser Boat during the scenes around a Naval Military Base on a secured island in the South Pacific in World War II,under the command of Lt. Cmdr. Quinton McHale(Ernest Borgnine),and his commanding officer who keeps a watchful eye on McHale and his crew,Capt.Wallace Binghamton(Joe Flynn),and Binghamton's nerdish assistant Ensign Charles Parker(Tim Conway). This show had it all with some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen and believe me some of the hijinks that McHale and his band of recruits get into is enough right there to steal the thunder of the show,courtesy of not only the 'big smiling face' of Ernest Borgnine,but from Tim Conway who hilarious situations made the show itself stand out,and it would prove the standing point when he would go on to host his own show,and from there into an nine-year hiatus for "The Carol Burnett Show". Oh yeah,lets not forget Joe Flynn as well,since him and Conway were the perfect comedy team and with them in this series it would have not survive. This series also had some familiar faces here as well including several actors who would go on to make a name for themselves,including actor Gavin MacLeod,who played Private First Class Joesph "Happy" Haines.

It was from this series that MacLeod would go to do other roles as well including a seven-year stint on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show",and from there as Captain Stubbing on "The Love Boat". This series also had singing sensation Billy Sands as "Tinkerbell",and many more. "McHale's Navy",ran on ABC-TV for five seasons from 1962 to 1966 and produced 138 episodes,all in black and white and produced by Revue Productions/Universal Studios in Hollywood. During the show's five year-run,since studios executives at Universal,which produced the series,decided that the cast should make the jump from the small screen to the big screen,producing three theatrical features for the studio,and this time around they were to be produced in color....... "McHale's Navy"(1964),"McHale's Navy Joins The Air Force"(1965),and the final,"McHale's Navy Joins The Army"(1965)while the TV series was still on the air,and the TV series was still in black and white.

What killed McHale's Navy after being a great hit? During the show's final season(1965-1966)McHale,and his crew along with Binghamton and Parker,not to mention Binghamton's second Lt. Carpenter,were all shipped from the operations in the South Pacific to the operations of Europe,where they were shipped to Italy to fight against the Germans. In the Pacific,they were up against the Japanese,but the Germans? That what killed the show,and from there the laughter stopped after five seasons.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Joe Flynn was the star of this show.
PWNYCNY11 May 2009
Not only is this one of the funniest sitcoms in broadcast history, it is also one of the most astutely written. This is because the conflict between Captain Binghamton, wonderfully played by Joe Flynn, and Commander McHale, played by the incomparable actor Ernest Borgnine, which drives the plot, is anything but a contrivance. Anyone who has any experience working in huge bureaucracies will understand and appreciate this show. First, there is the hapless Captain Binghamton, who is trying to "play by the rules" and thereby gain favor with his superiors, and then there is Commander McHale who in every episode thumbs his nose at the Captain who can only become infuriated since McHale is protected by the same superiors from whom Captain Binghamton is currying favor. That is, higher command has given McHale and his crew carte Blanche to do whatever they want provided that they are successful in carrying out their military missions while the Captain will be held accountable if McHale fails. It is a no win situation for the Captain and a win-win situation for McHale who gains all the glory but can always use the Captain as a scapegoat of he fails. The fact is that McHale and his crew are no more then civilians dressed up as Navy personnel, and given that, why would anyone expect McHale to conform to Navy rules? Yet Captain Binghamton must conform to Navy rules, rules that he cannot enforce because higher command won't let him. This creates conflict which is the stuff of both comedy and drama. There are few characters in the history of American television that are more pathetic than Captain Binghamton, who was brilliantly played by the Joe Flynn, who manages to combine buffoonery with a fatalism ("Why me? Why is it always ME?" the Captain asks plaintively every episode) that produces laughter as the outclassed and outmaneuvered Captain struggles against all odds to control the uncontrollable, Commander Quinton McHale.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
funnnnnnnnnnny
COdy333318 October 1999
This is a funny show needs to be brought back in re-runs I can watch it with the whole family if u want a nice laugh watch this! The movie really really really sucked!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Fun and Available On DVD
aimless-4623 March 2008
The 138 half-hour episodes and the one-hour pilot of the service comedy "McHale's Navy" were originally broadcast on ABC from 1962-1966. Although not as well known today as "Hogan's Heroes" (1965-1971 on CBS), it was a precursor and inspiration for that show. Unlike the 1950's peacetime world of Sgt. Bilko ("The Phil Silvers' Show"), these two shows were based on the inherently amusing idea that although WWII was in progress, those involved could still enjoy themselves. While Colonel Hogan and his men operated out of a POW camp in Europe, McHale and his P.T. boat crew were based on an island in the South Pacific. P.T. (pocket torpedo) boats were quite the rage in the early 1960's because of accounts of President Kennedy's WWII service aboard one. The series was given a further boast when Kennedy's exploits were profiled in "PT-109" (1963).

McHale (Ernest Borgnine) choose the island because it is isolated from the area's main Naval base and his main adversary Captain Binghamton (Joe Flynn), whose unexplained nickname is "Old Lead Bottom". Binghamton is the Colonel Klink of the series although in this case he and McHale are supposed to be on the same side. McHale and his crew are allowed to stay on the island because it allows them to respond faster to threats from their mutual adversary, the Japanese Navy.

While Colonels Hall and Klink actually seem to like Bilko and Hogan, Binghamton clearly dislikes and resents McHale. The main sources of comedy are the futile attempts of Binghamton and his obsequious subaltern Elroy Carpenter to discredit and discipline McHale and his crew. Of course McHale's crew provides them plenty of opportunities, while their combat performance is excellent their off-duty time is spent on a variety of unauthorized activities.

Only two members of McHale's crew are particularly noteworthy. The bumbling and naïve Ensign Parker (Tim Conway) and money grubbing schemer Lester Gruber (Carl Ballantine), a character loosely based on Ray Walston's Luther Billis in "South Pacific" (1958). Conway was clearly the show's greatest asset.

Season Three was the weakest of the four seasons. By this point the writers were obviously running out of original ideas and in desperation resorted to showcasing Fugi Kobiaji (Yoshio Yoda), an escaped POW. Fugi was a pacifist Japanese sailor being sheltered by the P.T. 109 crew on their island. He had been an "extremely minor character" in the earlier seasons for a lot of good reasons (insert Pearl Harbor here) and whatever comedy potential the idea once had was not well served by the expansion of his screen time.

The series improved a bit in its next and final season when the crew was shifted to the European front and began operating in Italy. Season Four was a classic case of "something so bad that it was almost good", as there was a perverse charm to these surreal episodes which had absolutely no connection with reality.

The series also spawned two feature films, "McHale's Navy" (1964) and McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force" (1965).

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Funny stuff
SanteeFats13 January 2013
I just finished watching the entire series. While it is fairly predictable in a some of the skits within each episode it is still a very funny series. Of course the PT 73 sank more Jap subs and shot down more Zero's than any other ship in the U.S Navy fleet it of course was all in fun. I thought when they moved the unit and therefor the plot line to Italy that it would suffer some but it went okay. Joe Flynn is great as the wishy-washy cowardly base commander in the Pacific and the town military governor who keeps trying time and again to send the entire crew or at least McHale to jail or anywhere but where the captain is. McHale and the crew are off the wall with the schemes and antics which is definitely a large part of the humor.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
In the real Navy Conway would have been fragged
amexspam28 December 2011
Borgnine is always good and Joe Flynn always did frustrated/angry very well. I enjoyed the magic of Carl Ballintine here and in other venues, and feel Gavin MacLeod has always done a fine job with what ever material he is given. Then there's Tim Conway. I thought he was brilliant with Carol Burnett, but in McHale's Navy he is tedious. He is constantly over-hyper and painful to watch. His performance is painfully predictable because you know he will do something stupid in ever scene and it will always be painfully obvious. A fire hose and Conway - a laugh riot ensures as Conway loses control (didn't see that coming). Watch out, Conway's on a ladder holding a can of paint and Joe Flynn is walking by - wow, Flynn is covered in paint (didn't see that coming). And it goes on and on like this for 138 episodes. Everybody likes to see the clowns come out at the circus when they're changing acts - 1 minutes of expected clown routines and then 30 minutes of entertainment. Unfortunately, McHale's Navy got it reversed.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
"Hey, You Meatballs (snapping his fingers), I Got It!"...... Mr. Ernest Borgnine as Lt. Commander Quinton McHale in almost every episode, it seems!.
John T. Ryan7 May 2008
Why would a well respected Hollywood Star and Academy Award Winning Actor relegate himself down a rung or two on the ladder from an extravagant and high class existence in making top rate Feature Films to the World of the TV Sitcom? Remember, at this particular juncture most any work on Television, save for that of a "Special Guest Star" on some variety show, was considered to be vastly inferior to the Theatrical Films or "Movies". And the Sitcom was considered to be just about the lowest of the TV formats; except for those durable denizens of Network Daytime, the Soap Operas.

SO it was this path that Ernest Borgnine took while still riding the high waves in his Film career. Mr. Borgnine's career had been a real mixed bag, which included a lot of TV (even as a recurring character on CAPTAIN VIDEO!) and some big bunch of supporting roles in the movies. There were also a few real gems such as: a labour boss-racketeer in THE MOB (Columbia, 1951). There was also some strictly top shelf pieces of work such as Sgt.'Fatso' Judson in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (Columbia, 1953) and his Oscar winning portrayal of the title character in MARTY (Hill-Hecht-Lancaster Prod./United Artists, 1955 ).

We heard the great Actor himself provide explanation by way of his relating of a couple of different personal anecdotes, on two different interviews; once with Johnny Carson years ago and the other most recently with David Letterman. Although the stories were very different (But no less true), the moral of the story in each case was the same. Big Ernie desired a more recognizable on-street status with everyday folks. An Oscar couldn't deliver; but, a weekly Service Comedy Series did.

AS far as the series, McHALE'S NAVY (Sto-Rev-Co Prod./American Broadcasting Company, 1962-66), it got over by virtue of a fine group ensemble of players. The humor and situations were not so different than others on the scene around that time such as SGT. BILKO (Columbia Broadcasting System, 1955-59) HOGAN'S HEROES (Bing Crosby Prod./CBS, 1965-71) and F TROOP (Warner Brothers TV/ABC, 1965-67).

Recalling what we said before; it was the talent of the supporting cast that had as much to do with the success of the series as anything and one glance at the roster shows why. We have the now immortal Tim Conway as Ensign Parker, McHale's stooge and the originating point for so many a gags. Funnyman-Magician Carl Ballentine provides us with the wit and wisdom of a salty, street smart Zoot Suiter from the 'Big Apple', Seaman Lester Grueber.*

The crew of the P.T. Boat that was McHale's Navy was rounded out with George Vinson as 'Christy', Billy Sands as 'Tinker' Bell, Gavin McLeod as 'Happy', Edson Stroll as Virgil Edwards and Yoshio Yoda as 'Fuji', the crews' own personal Japanese P.O.W. and unofficial member. There were others, of course, who came and left during the series run.

The notion of doing this service comedy in the Navy was one that had to come along sooner or later; as all previous Service Sitcoms were Army.** The idea of having the subject of the show the mad-cap carryings-on of a wacky crew of a Patrol Torpedo Boat (hence "P.T.") of the U.S. Navy was a sort of concession to the current climate and history of the United States. It was the Era later known as "Camelot" and it was President John F. Kennedy's time in the White House. Mr. Kennedy had been a Naval Officer during World War II and spent time as the Skipper of a fatally wounded P.T. Boat in the Pacific Theater of Operations. The story was told in the Feature Film P.T. 109 (Warner Brothers, 1963), with Cliff Robertson as J.F.K.

McHALE'S NAVY did the job then in providing laughs both with its situational acumen and with the best of characterizations from the cast. It has enjoyed a long and popular stint in re-runs, and is still a formidable player on the "Classic Rerun" world.

NOTE: * Mr. Ballentine was and is, we're proud to say a son of Chicago, Illinois as are we.

NOTE: ** There was a sort of "Comedy" in the Classic sense about the Navy in Jackie Cooper's HENNESSEY (Hennesey Prod./CBS TV, 1959-62); but this was more of a Dramatic Series or Comedy in the classic, Shakespearian mold. It was surely no Sitcom, by any means.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Lots of fun however, it was not realistic
SipteaHighTea7 April 2008
I love the show because it show all the beautiful American female naval personnel. When one of McHale's men was court-martial, Ensign Parker who was the defense attorney called for a witness, and this witness was a beautiful blonde naval officer with great legs that all the men on the court-martial board look at her.

The show was not realistic in portraying Navy life. At a TV interview, Ernest Borgine stated that Secretary of the Navy talked to him and stated that McHale Navy helped with the recruitment of young people into the Navy because those young people saw the show and wanted a commander like Commander McHale. I wonder how many of them got a rude, crude shock at what Navy life was really like. First of all, many officers did not care about the men particularly minorities and women since a good number of officers came from prominent rich families. Second of all, you usually did not have a close relationship between officers and men because military regulations forbid it unless you were aboard those riverboats during the Vietnam War. Thirdly, you were not allow to express your views in the military because then you would be charge with disrespect to an officer or to a chief petty officer or have some other phony baloney charge thrown at you just to shut you up or throw you out of the service. It was no wonder why the Navy had very serious racial problems and leadership problems aboard ships,during the Vietnam War. Admiral Zumwalt called in a whole bunch of Navy Admirals and Marine Generals and read the riot act about their failure to provide proper leadership in accepting minorities into the military and treating the enlisted men better respect. The admirals and generals hated Zumwalt's remarks and many of them complain to the press behind his back. One naval officer stated that Zumwalt's style of leadership was long overdue compare to the harsh, choking leadership of yesterday. Finally, you have episodes of the PT-73 crew dancing with the Navy nurses. In real life, such a thing could not exist nor be tolerate because the PT-73 crew was mostly enlisted men while the nurses were always officers; therefore, there was no fraternization between officers (nurses) and enlisted men.

I thought I had seen all of the McHale Navy episodes. I did not know that the last season they had transfer to the European Operations. At least, if they were operating in the Aegean Sea off Greece, they would have been subject to air attacks by the German Luftwaffe and fought gun battles with the E-Boats. The only episode I saw them fight against the Germans was where there was a German U-Boat that came into the South Pacific to be re-fuel by the Japanese Navy. The TV show ratings would have fallen to a all time low because the PT-73 crew could no longer do their illegal operations like running a pearl operation, illegal card games, distilled brooze, or selling real/fake Japanese items when they were in the South Pacific. In Europe, there would be too much competition from the Italian organized crime, other Allied soldiers running their own illgal enterprises, and dealing with the Italian police and Allied Military Police. Even if they ran their own enterprises, if they double cross their clients, the Allied soldiers would either put them in the hospital or the grave. If they tried cheating the various resistance movements in Italy and the Balkans, the guerillas would turn the crew over to the Allied authorities, killed them when the crew was not looking, or would contact the Germans about the PT-73 pending operations, so the Germans killed or capture the crew. I wonder how come the last season, they did not transfer the crew to late 1944/early 1945, where McHale's crew would be involved in the American invasion of the Phillippines? At least, they could do some of the illegal activities while still doing their jobs.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The most rowdy crew in the navy
bkoganbing20 July 2017
Ernest Borgnine as his star appeal started to wane got himself a perfect television series in McHale's Navy. Borgnine played Lt.Commander Quentin McHale, skipper of a PT Boat who led the most rowdy crew inn the navy.

McHale was a seafaring man he was in the merchant marine before the war and military discipline wasn't going to cramp his style any. The enlisted guys thrived under his lack of discipline. These guys were so bad they were given their own island lest they disrupt the discipline of the rest of the navy.

Always pulling some kind of racket and always their Commanding Officer Captain Binghamton could never quite catch them. Binghamton was played by Joe Flynn with him developing the world's biggest ulcer week by week. He didn't have much in the way of help except for Bob Hastings as Lt. Carpenter possibly the biggest suck up in the history of series television.

McHale's Navy was the first big break for Tim Conway and the pilot episode had Ensign Chuck Parker assigned as second in command to Borgnine. At first Parker was mercilessly taken advantage of by the crew. But gradually they kind of adopted him. He was a klutz and couldn't help being a klutz. Soon he was part of their hijinks and his scenes with Joe Flynn were the highlight of the series.

McHale's Navy ran for four years. Killed by the Vietnam War when all of a sudden military service comedies went suddenly out of vogue. But it was a good series comedy, enjoyed by all who remember it.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?