Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) Poster

More than just a romantic-comedy, "Breakfast" is a real love story
Damian_21 July 2004
The main reason I like "Breakfast at Tiffany's" so much is because I think it is one of those rare romantic comedies that actually transcends the genre and becomes a genuine love story. I have a theory that most love stories that get made aren't really about love. They're either about romance or lust. I don't think that many people in Hollywood (or society in general today) even know what real deep, meaningful love really is. "Breakfast at Tiffany's," on the other hand, is one of the most beautiful real love stories ever told.

*SPOILERS*

"Tiffany's" is basically about a woman who is incapable of loving. She considers herself a "free spirit" a "wild thing," an independent, adventurous woman who lives for the moment. She is also a bit of a social outcast because her "profession" is essentially that of a call girl. Whether or not she actually sleeps with all of these men (or just some of them) who pay her is unclear, but she definitely uses them. She is not a woman of high moral character and despite her constant "up" attitude and optimistic outlook, she is really quite lonely. It's all a reflection of how she really feels about herself I think. It's almost as if she needs to keep trying new things and distracting herself from the truth, because if she were to actually take a moment to stop and look at herself, she would be confronted with how unimpressive and ordinary she really is. She would also have to face the fact that she is not really that stylish. She is an actor playing a part. "Holly Golightly" isn't even her real name. As I said, she is incapable of loving others because she doesn't really even love herself. She feels she is unlovable. Her self-perception is really quite low and that's why she concocts these huge, elaborate fantasies about being elegant, classy and witty. When I first saw the film, I was so impressed by the charm and beauty of Audrey Hepburn that I instantly fell in love with her. The more I watch the movie, the more I realize how utterly sad and pathetic (yet still likable) her character really is. As Marty Balsam says in the film: "She's a phony, but she's a real phony."

Paul Varjak, the character played by George Peppard (pre A-TEAM days of course) is in a similar situation. He is also playing a role and has a lousy self-image. He wants to write but has had such a hard time at it that he has resigned himself to taking money from a married, rich woman, who considers him to be her "good time" on the side, for his living. Paul and Holly start out as simple neighbors, later become friends and eventually fall in love which ends up scaring the pepper out of Holly. She's okay flirting with someone but as soon as she crosses that line over into falling for someone, she becomes afraid and runs away. She sees love as a "cage," something that stifles people and sucks the life out of them. She needs help. She needs someone to love her and she needs to be able to love them back. This man is the perfect one for her because he needs her just as much as she needs him. They can help each other. They can lift each other up. By themselves they are nothing but together they are complete. They are two miserable people who can find happiness in one another.

I like movies about redemption. Stories about otherwise lowly people who are raised to the heights of happiness through love (without it seeming forced or sentimental) are exceptionally rare but when they do show up they tend to appeal to me (that's the reason why I like the story to "Sabrina" so much too). I will never EVER forget that last scene in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" where Holly is finally confronted with the painful truth that despite all her attempts to deny herself, to hide from her own "ordinariness," nothing about her has really changed. As Paul says "No matter where you go, you just keep running into yourself." She admits that she is lonely and unhappy. She goes back for the cat that she set free moments earlier upon realizing that she was coming dangerously close to "owning" him. In going back for the cat she is really going back for herself. She sees herself as the cat and, in fact, there is frequent imagery throughout the film that connects them (Holly wearing the cat mask that she steals from the shop, "Nine Lives" being the name of the book that Paul wrote, etc.). She didn't want to give him a name because she didn't want him to belong to her, she would consider that "caging" the animal. So she called him simply "cat," but over time "Cat" ended up becoming his actual name. In reclaiming the cat she is sort of reclaiming her own life. For a few moments it looks like "Cat" may be gone forever, but when she hears the soft "meow" and pulls him out of a cardboard box, she is elated. She is the happiest woman on earth. Like the cat, she was lost but now is found. She embraces the cat and kisses her love, Paul, as they stand in the rain. The music swells (Gotta love that "Moon River" song) and the screen fades to black. It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest endings of any movie ever.
66 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"...no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself..."
elvircorhodzic11 April 2017
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY's is an exciting and entertaining romantic comedy about a charismatic girl from high society and an unrealized writer. Film is loosely based on Truman Capote's novella of the same name.

A young and elegantly dressed lady walks around and looking in a shop windows in an early morning. After looking into the shop's windows, she strolls home. Outside her apartment, she fends off her date from the disastrous night before. Later, she meets, a pleasant and somewhat confused writer, the new tenant in her building. They develop a special relationship. She wants to marry a rich man. However, her new friend slowly falls in love with her. Both must give up of some important goals in their lives for the sake of love...

This is an unconvincing and provocative story with a touch of an inappropriate comedy, romance and melodrama. However, this distorted reality has a certain depth. The story of a nobody's-but everyone's girl is, given her past, a naive and painful at the same time. A quiet and insecure writer with an obvious problem of writer's block and hands of a beautiful and rich older lady around his neck enters in her life. It is a quite confusing situation in life.

Costume design is exquisite, the song "Moon River" is haunting as a reflection of fears, turmoil and friendship.

Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly / Lula Mae Barnes is an irresistible, irritating, bumbling and gentle woman with two names. She constantly flees away from itself. Holly is "the real fake" and "a wild thing" at the same time. Lula Mae is a person from whom Holly escapes. Ms. Hepburn is a beautiful and gentle actress, exceptional comedienne, who is an ideal choice for this role. George Peppard as Paul Varjak is often set aside as an observer. He was not the right choice for this role. George just can not follow a "twisting" step of the unreliable Holly. Mr. Edwards has tried to equalize their characters. They are unhappy, unfulfilled and they differ from some moral standards. Their relationship is based on an unconditional friendship. There is no a chemistry or love sparks. He has, in an elusive and unreliable girl, found an inspiration in his life. She has found a man who will, regardless of her excesses and lies, always be beside her and lend her a hand when she falls.

Their support are Patricia Neal (Mrs. Emily Eustace "2E" Failenson) as a cool rich woman with a beautiful smile and a magnetic gaze. Martin Balsam as O.J. Berman is very funny as a Hollywood agent. Mickey Rooney as I.Y. Yunioshi is an inappropriate and hackneyed cliché.

This is an odd collection of turbulent and false feelings, which is a comic and melodramatic at the same time, and even occasionally pleasant to watch.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good. Very good.
patrick32011 May 2001
A lot has been said about this film, so I won't repeat too much of it. I just thought the following points stood out for me as wonderful:

-The telephone Holly keeps in a suitcase so she won't hear it. Holly. Ahhhh... Holly. Like some kind of female opposite of James Bond (stick with me here), men all want her, women all want to be her. We need to see *more* eccentric women in leading roles, as opposed to the dull boring stodge of overpaid 'sex symbols' like Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman who can be pretty or serious but never interesting.

-George Peppard in his finest role, and brilliant it is too. It's a real shock to my generation that has been more accustomed to seeing him tragically underused on trash like the A-Team. It made me want to see more of his early films, and wonder what happened in the intervening years (alcohol, apparently :-( ). An icon of male sensitivity, and there are few enough of them around too.

-That chap who sells them the telephone dialler in Tiffany's. A tiny role that achieves its aims perfectly and makes life seem better, which is what you want really.

Many have said Tiffany's is too saccharine and cheerful, but I think it actually hits the perfect balance of cynicism and sentiment. There are moments of intense depression (which people often forget) as well as hopeful optimism, and these two working together are what make the film so uplifting and memorable.
71 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Real Charmer: Comfort Viewing At It's Best
gftbiloxi21 April 2005
The celebrated author on whose novel it was based despised the film version, describing it as "mawkish." The star wasn't much more enthusiastic; she never considered it among her best work. And the reviews were mixed. But regardless of what Truman Capote, Audrey Hepburn, or the critics thought about it, the public adored it--and the image of Audrey Hepburn wearing a black evening dress, nibbling pastry, and window shopping has passed into our cultural iconography.

The film is indeed lightweight stuff. Audrey Hepburn is a New York good-time girl who makes a living by clipping her wealthy escorts for fifty here and fifty there. When she meets handsome George Peppard--a writer who makes ends meet by trading favors with society matron Patricia Neal--can love be far behind? But Audrey's mysterious past and her determination to marry rich, George's status as a kept boy-toy, and their occasionally questionable associates provide plenty of complications to fill out the story.

What makes the film work is the remarkable charm of its two stars. Most of the attention goes to Audrey Hepburn and the film shows her to remarkable advantage: she is a remarkable actress, personality, and beauty, and she works wonders with the ultralight script. But when it comes to charm, George Peppard is no slouch either: the film catches him at the height of his early golden-boy good looks, and he is the perfect foil for Hepburn in both their comic and dramatic scenes. Mickey Rooney's excessive performance as Yunioshi aside, the supporting cast is also very entertaining, with Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, and Dorothy Whitney all give enjoyable turns. The film looks great (make sure you get the widescreen version), the score (which includes "Moon River") is excellent, and director Blake Edwards keeps everything moving at a pleasant pace. This a great film to cozy up with on a cold night--romantic, entertaining, and as comforting as a cup of hot chocolate. Recommended.

Gary F. Taylor, aka GFT, Amazon Reviewer
51 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Audrey Hepburn - The "It" Girl of the 60s
misslv8012 April 2004
I've loved "Breakfast at Tiffany's" since I was nine. Even before I completely understood about Holly's "profession", I was captivated by the grace and magic that was Audrey Hepburn.

George Peppard plays Paul Varjak, a writer who has to earn his living through a wealthy socialite, Patricia Neal, as her "kept" man. Audrey, who plays Holly Golightly, is a gold-digging call girl, who is looking for the right rich man to marry. Though you would think these two would be unflattering characters, they are both very charming and put on phony personas (especially in Holly's case) in order to survive.

You have to marvel at how a woman like Audrey could look so good in anything she wore. At the beginning of the movie when she first meets Peppard, she's only wearing a simple white shirt that she wears as a nightgown or at the party scene when she first comes out and greets her friend O.J. Berman wearing nothing but a sheet made up to look like a dress! Gorgeous!

It's a marvelous piece of acting when Holly first meets Paul in her apartment, and she's talking about how she has to get ready to meet one of her "clients" in jail, Sally Tomato, and she's talking about her profession, looking at herself in the mirror, getting dressed, asking Paul to find one of her shoes, etc., and then, voila! the famous basic black dress and hat with the wide brim. Very stylish - and in the scene she is given much to work with, the way she has to juggle the dialogue and the action of what she is doing all at once. Very natural and sophisticated at the same time.

Audrey is very believable as Holly because her character is someone who is pretending to be sophisticated, hanging around with phony people, but really comes from humble beginnings. Once in a while you will hear in her voice the "country-girl" drawl, and you will see through the facade of Holly Golightly who she really is. George Peppard is also very handsome and believable as the "starving" writer who also has to sell himself out in order to earn a living.

Many complaints have been made about Mickey Rooney and the "stereotypical" portrayal of the landlord Mr. Yunioshi. Yes, it is stereotyped, but nonetheless, I still thought it was funny. The party scene is one of the best in the movie - hilarious! Wonderful score by Henry Mancini. Of course it's a classic scene when Holly pulls up in front of Tiffany's in the New York taxi, drinking coffee and eating a danish in front of the window. New York City itself is like a vibrant, interesting character in the movie. I could go on and on.

And to top it all off, it's a very romantic love story about two people who find happiness in the crazy, mixed-up world we live in. A classic. Recommended to anyone who loves old Hollywood cinema.
216 out of 299 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very good film with Audrey Hepburn even if its odd
TheEireReviewer26 March 2017
I just recently seen this and like honestly, it was so odd since I am so use to her playing as a sweet character but this time shes more likely has a trashy and too confident attitude for her role. I just look her beautiful black dress and her hair up in a bun, sure shes always a beautiful and great actress so Hollywood would expect her to have good looks in her roles!

I honestly didn't think her character needed a lover, she would've been better off if she didn't bother with a lover and look after herself more. In my personal opinion, I didn't think George Peppard was a good lover for her, I mean like they should've got a better actor to play her lover. He looked rather like a boy than a man. He probably was in his 20's while doing this but same time, I personally didn't think he was a good match for Hepburn tbh..

Its a great entertaining film anyway, I give it a 8/10 including Audrey Hepburns singing!
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"It's useful being top banana in the shock department".
classicsoncall9 July 2016
There came a point in the movie when I was almost convinced that Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) was mentally ill. I mean, how would one not be, having married a dirt farmer at fourteen, run away to the city to become a free spirit, and survive on fifty bucks a throw while partying their life away? Underneath the glitz and glamour of Holly's life was a troubling aspect of alienation and despair that couldn't be easily fixed by a next door neighbor 'kept' by an older woman. It was the perfect set up for that happy ending I think most viewers expect and which the movie delivered, but lacking in virtually any credibility when one really stops to think about it.

And yet the movie does serve up it's share of entertainment value. Hepburn is very pleasing to the eye and her fashion sense is exquisite, she even wears a bed sheet glamorously. If I had to guess, the character of Rusty Trawler (Stanley Adams) looked to me like a stand-in for the novel's writer Truman Capote, though that idea was given less credence when the newspaper headline declared he took his fourth wife. And gosh, up till now I thought the worst characterization of an Asian in a movie was James Cann's impression of a Chinese man in "El Dorado", but Mickey Rooney ran the table here on that score. What was anyone thinking about when they came up with the Yunioshi character? Pretty pathetic.

But as a time capsule reminder of New York City life in the early Sixties, this one has to be classic. Get a load of the vendor prices in Central Park - a frankfurter for twenty cents, peanuts and popcorn for a dime, and if you're willing to pony up a couple more pennies, a box of Crackerjacks for twelve cents! I know it was a half century ago but those numbers just don't sound right to me, but I was just a kid back then and not paying attention.

Well if there's a message here it would probably be Lula Mae's advice to Doc Golightly (Buddy Ebsen) - "You musn't give your heart to a wild thing", even though that idea seemed to capture the spirit of Holly's confused character. I'm sure the story's happy ending elicited more than it's share of teardrops for movie audiences of the Sixties, coming as it did in the face of Paul Varjak's (George Peppard) challenge to break free of her cage and stop running into herself. You just had to wonder if she could do that after the final credits rolled.
Our Huckleberry Friend
bkoganbing1 September 2011
Checking out both the original novel and the Wikipedia article on Breakfast At Tiffany's I was surprised to see how different Truman Capote's vision of this story was. Capote who wanted Marilyn Monroe cast as Holly Golightly lived to see Audrey Hepburn make his literary creation one of her best cinematic creations. I think given Marilyn's track record for behavioral problems on film sets, Capote, Blake Edwards the director, and everyone else concerned with Breakfast At Tiffany's probably dodged a bullet.

Capote's story is set in the Forties and the film is contemporary 1961 when it was filmed. There's no real plot to it, Capote did a character study and so is this. It's about two people and the fascination that George Peppard's character develops for the unconventionality of Holly Golightly as Hepburn essays her.

Hepburn is the kept woman of a cross section of the male species and Peppard is the boy toy of another woman who rents in their apartment, Patricia Neal. Neal who would win her Oscar the following year for Hud has her character as curiously underdeveloped. It's the main weakness of Breakfast At Tiffany's.

The strength is of course Audrey Hepburn who took Capote's character completely over and it's her vision of the story that we see when the film is broadcast. She's an amoral minx who in the end realizes that her life is really meaningless.

Breakfast At Tiffany's won two Oscars both for Henry Mancini for Best Musical Scoring and Best Original Song for Moon River. That song is best known for Andy Williams's rendition, but there are also superb recordings by Frank Sinatra and Tony Martin. Hepburn got a nomination for Best Actress and the film was also nominated for Best Art&Set Decoration for a color film and Best Screenplay adapted from another medium, in this case Capote's novella.

Considering all the changes made, maybe the credit should have read inspired by Truman Capote's work. In any event this film belongs in the top rank of the works of Audrey Hepburn.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Art or Guilty Pleasure?
smc716 February 2006
I am never sure which Breakfast at Tiffany's is. I can certainly think of movies which more accurately portray the human condition, but of few that are more fun.

Neither Holly nor Paul seem to represent real people. Their attraction, which is the focal point of the movie, is a character unto itself. Paul sees Holly as scared, vulnerable, and in need of rescue and enjoys his role as potential knight in shining armor to her damsel in distress. She is drawn to him because he sees beyond her facade of fabulousness to the scared little girl she is inside and which she tries (not that hard really at all) to hide. Adding to her attraction to him is the fact that he stands up to her when she treats him shoddily. This probably does not happen to her too often, and it intrigues her.

These are mostly the tricks a romance novelist uses to keep readers baited and rooting for a fictional, possibly doomed romance to work and do not reflect the real nature of love. There is, however, enough chemistry, genuine affection, and respect between the two characters to keep the story from seeming utterly implausible.

Of course, a movie doesn't have to be realistic to realistically portray what is right and what is wrong with the world we live in. Breakfast at Tiffany's doesn't do a whole lot of that either, though. After watching I can never pinpoint one solid message from it.

What it does have a lot of, as many others have pointed out, is stylish, witty, good fun. This is almost always the movie I choose on the rare occasions when my husband is working late, my son is asleep, I have energy to spare and good bottle of wine just begging to be uncorked. Believable or not, it is well-told and compelling, and remains one of the better movies a gal can lose herself in.
66 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fluffy, if a bit empty, but delicious breakfast.
Poseidon-324 June 2004
An army of fans consider this Hepburn's signature role and in many ways it is, even if she overcame miscasting to portray it. Based on a rather biting novella by Truman Capote, he (somewhat surprisingly) wanted Marilyn Monroe to play the role. The casting of Hepburn couldn't be more different, yet she made it her own and in the process created an icon that is every bit as lasting as Marilyn's skirt-over-the-subway-grate or Bette Davis's off-the-shoulder, chain-smoking Margo Channing. She plays an offbeat, effortlessly sophisticated party girl in New York City who subsists on the favors of various rich men. Though her livelihood couldn't be more tasteless, somehow Hepburn's presence adds a sheen of innocence and sweetness to it. When blocked writer Peppard moves in upstairs ("kept" by married socialite Neal), the two find themselves developing a friendship which eventually begins to turn into love. But since they are both people who use their bodies to earn their keep and are heavily dependent on others, the chances of their relationship lasting are slim at best. To read the above synopsis, one would expect a gritty, vulgar film. However, in director Blake Edwards' hands and with Hepburn floating around in exquisite Givenchy gowns, the movie is a candy box of color, style, humor and romance.

Even when she's hungover or just getting home from an all-nighter (as in the famous opening scene), Hepburn strikes a graceful and glamorous figure. In fact, it's when she's trying to act disoriented or disheveled that her performance is at it's weakest. It's as if she was so inherently stylish that she had to try (too) hard to present anything else! She does a very fine job with the role, even if the character's past is nothing short of preposterous. Peppard comes off as blandly attractive, but wooden. His arrogance regarding his role (fiercely protecting the traditional leading man image) not only undercut his own performance, but also slighted that of Neal's who was diminished as a result. However, sentimental filmgoers probably prefer his more heroic approach and Neal would certainly recoup her losses, earning an Oscar a short time later for "Hud". The most controversial aspect of the film is Rooney's portrayal of an Asian man who lives above Hepburn and who is awakened at all hours by her lifestyle. Whether or not one is offended by the over-the-top stereotype of the buck teeth and slant eyes, the role is not funny anyway! It's all way too forced and obvious, with his pratfalls in sight long before they occur. (A lamp exists RIGHT over his bed for the express purpose of giving him something to hit his head on continuously. Move it, already!) There are many memorable moments in the film including a sequence of Hepburn and Peppard doing things they've never done before, Hepburn sitting on the fire escape plaintively singing the Oscar-winning song "Moon River" (which is used throughout the film by master composer Henry Mancini) and wacky party scene (a prelude to Edwards' "The Party"?) in which all sorts of outre things take place including the cry "Timber!" when a tipsy guest begins to collapse. There's a surprising frankness, for the time, regarding Peppard and Neal's relationship. It seems to be one of the earliest Hollywood films in which the leading man is implied to be nude under the covers in his bed. The film is not without its flaws. Some of the dialogue is annoyingly indulgent and the storyline is fairly patchy (with a tacked on ending.) Still, with the sparkling presence of Hepburn (in some mind-blowing hats and costumes) and the slick work of Edwards, it is easy entertainment.
157 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Audrey's a Delight
gbheron15 March 2001
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" preserves an idyllic time and place in the American psyche, New York City between WWII and The Great Society. A time when being hip and urbane were accessible (and desirable) to the middle-class.

The film's" the two romantic protagonists are Holly Golightly, played wonderfully by Audrey Hepburn, and Paul Varjak, played by George Peppard in an understated performance that well complements Hepburn's. Holly is an aspiring socialite and party-girl looking for a wealthy sugar daddy. Paul is an aspiring writer and kept-man of a wealthy older woman. Neither is happy, but both go through the motions in a swirl of Manhattan parties and parings.

Everything falls nicely into place in this romantic-comedy; directing, musical score, acting, and screenplay. Filmed on location in New York this is a beautiful, captivating movie, that has not only aged well, but is a time machine to a wonderful place that probably really never existed except in our imagination.
137 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A showcase for Audrey
hall89525 September 2009
Breakfast at Tiffany's is a mostly charming film which serves as a wonderful showcase for the great Audrey Hepburn. In her portrayal of Holly Golightly Hepburn created one of the most iconic characters in film history. This is a memorable film and it's Hepburn who makes it so. She is at the center of everything that goes on in the film and you can't help but be charmed by Holly Golightly. The movie has its flaws, most notably one incredibly unfortunate casting decision, but all these years later it is rightly remembered fondly by most who have had the pleasure of seeing it.

Holly Golightly makes her living as an escort, but it's not as unseemly as it might seem. What she really is more than anything else is an extroverted Manhattan socialite around whom all kinds of craziness swirls. That craziness is best typified in a famous party scene in Holly's apartment. There are so many people crammed into Holly's little apartment, there's so much going on that you don't even know where to look. But inevitably the eye is drawn back to Holly herself. The character has such style and charisma, as of course does the actress playing her. Everyone remembers the famous black dress but the beauty and elegance of Audrey Hepburn shine through no matter what Holly Golightly's wearing. Heck, she could wear a sheet and make it seem elegant. In fact she does. And that sums up Holly Golightly rather nicely. Beautiful, charming, engaging...and more than a touch eccentric.

It's Audrey's movie through and through and she is never anything less than wonderful in her performance. Playing opposite her in the key male role is George Peppard and he at times comes across as being a little wooden, maybe somewhat dull. But perhaps his character is just suffering in comparison to Holly Golightly who is many things, dull certainly not one of them. Buddy Ebsen has a small role but an important one as it is his character who provides some insight into who Holly really is, or at least who she used to be. We come to learn that Holly has pretty much reinvented herself and there are some wistful moments as we see why she may have felt the need to do so. There will be some roadblocks thrown up in the way of Holly's seemingly blissful existence and as she confronts these obstacles there are times where you know she's doing the wrong thing. But you love her anyway and just hold out hope she'll get it right in the end. That's the irresistible charm of Audrey Hepburn working its magic.

It must be said that for all its charm the film does have one serious black mark against it. Mickey Rooney's portrayal of Holly's bucktoothed, slant-eyed stereotyped Japanese neighbor Mr. Yunioshi is absolutely appalling. It's the type of thing you'd expect from a film made in the 1920s. By 1961 you would have hoped people would have known better. Apparently not. Every time this character appears on the screen you can't help but cringe. The character takes you out of the movie watching experience entirely. You don't see him as a character named Mr. Yunioshi, all you see is Mickey Rooney in hideous yellowface makeup. Awful. And for a character meant to serve as comic relief, even had an Asian actor been cast there is no way around the fact that the character is just not funny at all. It's the one major flaw in a film which, while maybe not an all-time classic, is certainly charming and enjoyable throughout. And as a showcase for the talents and elegance of Audrey Hepburn it could not work any better.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lot of fun, Audrey was a true beauty and actress of her time
Kristine27 June 2007
Breakfast At Tiffany's is a pretty famous movie, it's recommended in my movie books and is usually on a top film critic's list as a classic. Before Roman Holiday, I had never seen an Audrey Hepburn film, and I have to say that I am becoming more and more of a fan of her's. She was so beautiful and very talented, not to mention she seemed like a very classy and elegant lady. But the film itself was a pretty good one, this was the movie that made romantic comedy clichés, so that's why I let it go so easily. It seemed like this film had what a lot of romantic comedy films steal now a days.

Holly is a huge socialite in her grand world, she finds happiness and joy in the jewelery store, Tiffany's. She is also being paid 100 dollars to visit a drug Mafia leader in prison to make his day. But things begin to change when a very handsome man moves in down stairs from her, Paul, but she calls him Fred since he looks like her brother. He's also in a similar situation where his "Decorator" is paying him for a good time. But together they find themselves helping one another and realizing they may need each other.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is an elegant classic that I would rate up with Seven Year Itch starring Marilyn Monroe. It has great humor and sizzling romance that anyone could fall in love with. Audrey Hepburn took on a role which the character could have been neuritic and annoying, but she made Holly into someone every woman would like to be. Her and George were great together, I would highly recommend Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's a great classic.

44 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Darling Movie!!
dataconflossmoor-123 May 2009
Audrey Hepburn plays the elusive socialite. She is a New York gadabout who winds up cavorting around with parasitic, well to do reprobates. Her life is a sort of manufactured intellectual recreation, so to speak. For this social circle, engaging in supercilious delusions of grandeur is everybody's favorite hobby. Audrey Hepburn masquerades a pusillanimity that George Peppard is far more familiar with than he cares to admit! Both of them have a life that is full of euphemistic phraseology which provides a double entente meaning to words and phrases such as: "Friend", "Succor for social enlightenment", "Financial backer", "Ardent supporter thereof", or "I am in need of some very intriguing conversation". Audrey Hepburn is so beautiful in this film!! The jewelry is spectacular!! In particular, the diamond necklace, and tiara, are famous artifacts in the Hollywood world of collectibles, they are right up there with the "Wizard of Oz" ruby slippers!! Singing "Moon River" out the window of her Manhattan apartment, Audrey Hepburn garnered a charismatic following with the movie audience with this scene. Hepburn's wardrobe, including the hats, and the Jaqueline Kennedy style sunglasses, all became extremely sensationalized with this film. The conversations with the men in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" sort of ran the run of the mill gambit of the proverbial aging men seeking female companionship. The acceptable scourge with everybody was one in which constructive candor was replaced with one alcoholic beverage after another. "Breakfast At Tiffany's" is a totally marvelous film which brings out the disconcerting genre of the stilted arrangements which prevailed. While pinpointing this dubious rigmarole for the precarious quest of suitable liaisons, it becomes evident that these circumstances are, without question, comfortably symbiotic. This auspicious realm of monotony evokes a very succinct and humorous romanticism for this film's entirely non-conventional dynamic! Such an eccentric scenario in "Breakfast At Tiffany's" is formatted whereby pretenses of sophistication were nothing more than pejorative mendacity, and, reality, was in fact, true love! Best parts of this movie: It makes you want to go to Rio De Janiero, and, never more than ever before, do you want to get caught in the rain!! The amazing array of acting talent in "Breakfast At Tiffany's" will astound you. In addition to Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard,(The inadvertent gigolo) other stars included; Patricia Neal, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam and Mickey Rooney. Director of this film, Blake Edwards, (Best known for an onslaught of "Pink Panther" movies, and television shows such as "Peter Gunn and "Mr Lucky") does a remarkable job at directing "Breakfast At Tiffany's". My total assessment of this film; EXCELLENT!! Or, as many prominent spawns of academia would say with an emphatically undaunted demeanor: DARLING MOVIE!!!!
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still a prize after all these years.
schappe129 August 2003
This film is an amazing achievement for Audrey Hepburn. The part was clearly written for Marilyn Monroe. (To think of Hepburn as a backwoods girl is absurd.) Monroe would have made a meal of this and it would have been her signature role. But she was in the midst of her emotional troubles at this time and the role was given to a very different actress in Hepburn who produced a very different Holly Golightly. And yet she did it so well that it became HER signature role instead. It's not unusual for an actor to make a role his own such that you can't picture someone else in the role even thought there are actually many who could have played it. But to take a role intended specifically for another, one for which one does not appear suited, and make that your own…well, that's a great acting achievement. It certainly is Audrey Hepburn's greatest role, a performance with many more complexities than any other she ever gave.

It's also a fabulous film. I love beauty emerging form contradiction, like a rhapsody emerging from apparently unrelated themes and musical noises. Here we have something that is at times a wacky comedy, a breezy romance and yet is full of depth and drama. So many things have happened and we have been introduced to so many characters at the end, it's amazing they all fit together. I also like the bravery of doing a story about two people who are basically prostitutes in 1961. It's daring yet there's nothing sleazy about he film because it concentrates on who these people are as people- what they are, not what they do.

And the film has the most eclectic cast I can imagine. Romantic heroine Audrey Hepburn. Method actor George Peppard. Sleek man-killer Patricia Neal. Actor's actor Martin Balsam. Old reliable Buddy Ebsen, just before he hammed it up as Jed Clampett, playing a subtle and touching version of the same thing. Mickey Rooney provides the only jarring note with his scenery chewing performance as the Japanese landlord, something we could surely have done without. Did you know that Audrey's gangster sugar daddy is played by Alan Reed, the voice of Fred Flintstone? And don't forget John McGiver's delicate turn as the clerk at Tiffany's.

You can debate the virtues of a film into the night. What really counts in the end is: Does it stay in the memory vividly years later? Would you like to watch it again? And when you watch it again, does it take you back to when you first saw it? Breakfast at Tiffany's certainly does. It will always be the prize in the cracker-jack box.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Audrey Hepburn in addition to beautiful, is talented
Miguel Neto20 July 2016
Breakfast at Tiffany 's is a good movie of the 60s, has a large cast with one of the most beautiful actresses of the 60s, Audrey Hepburn makes an excellent performance , besides being very beautiful in this film , the romance of the movie is cool, and it works, the film is also humorous , has moments that can take good laughs from viewers , the direction is competent , the acting is good , the soundtrack is good , the picture is very good, the costumes is another strong point , the character of Audrey Hepburn has a wide variety of clothes in the film , the more the film is fairly predictable , the script is simple and has many moments that can of a little boredom, Breakfast at Tiffany 's is a recommended film for all moviegoers , has good performances , good soundtrack and good fun times , not to mention having one of the most beautiful actresses in the film , it is surely one of the best movies 1961. Note 7.8
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My favorite movie
kearls-13 March 2006
What can you say about Truman Capote's masterpiece? It is brilliant!! Hepburn is wonderful as a young woman who is on the verge of insanity, but unknowingly to most around her. She is confused and lost in the world, and she meets Paul, both having sex with the wrong people, both confused about who they are and where they are in the world... they are"two drifters." Holly is a character that remains classic, and Hepburn played her brilliantly!! I love this movie, it will make you believe in love, and what girl doesn't truly love Tiffany's? Moon River is also a truly beautiful song that expresses the mood throughout the movie. It also has a few surprises, and is witty and charming.
111 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two drifters off to see the world
theowinthrop21 January 2007
It's a little odd watching BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S and realizing that of it's main stars only Patricia Neal, Mickey Rooney, and Jose Luis de Villalonga (who played the wealthy Brazilian in the movie) are still alive, as is the director Blake Edwards. Audrey Hepburn, George Peppard, Buddy Ebsen, Martin Balsam, John McGiver, Alan Reed Jr., Stanley Adams, and Dorothy Whitney are all gone, as is Truman Capote and George Axelrod and the cats who played "Cat".

The city of New York is still a fascinating one, but much of it has changed. For instance, the card catalogs of the 42nd Street Public Library that Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak visit are not in those card drawers as they showed in the film scene. They were photocopied into multi-volume sets of card catalog volumes in the early 1970s, and since then the remainder have been put on computers. Even in the late 1960s and early 1970s the reading room did not have any sculptures in them - just desks and library shelves and the central area to pick up the books you ordered.

The period of the film is quite set in New York City in 1959 - 61. Take a look at the "Halloween masks" on sale in the Woolworth's* that Holly and Paul steal. Among the masks they try on is one of Huckleberry Hound, the Hanna-Barbera cartoon character who was popular in 1960. It is mentioned on this thread that the mask reminds us of the lyrics in "MOON RIVER" regarding "my huckleberry friend". But that reference was to "Huckleberry Finn", and his being found on the Mississippi River (possibly the original for the "Moon River" of the song). It had nothing to do with the cartoon character.

(*Come to think of it, Woolworth's itself is a thing of the past - it having gone out of business five years ago.)

But the story is still quite compelling, and Holly remains Audrey Hepburn's best remembered performance (even more than her Royal Princess in ROMAN HOLIDAY). Only her performance as Eliza Doolittle in MY FAIR LADY is as recalled by name, and Holly is more glamorous from the start.

Holly is not really "Holly" but Lula Mae Barnes Golightly - one time second wife of Doc Golightly (Ebsen), who tired of country living and got an annulment, and has only tried to get some financial footing to help herself and her brother Fred (who is currently in the army). She has always found life hard (Doc tells Paul that Lula and Fred were caught by him stealing turkey eggs when kids). So Holly discovers that only if she can be a sophisticate can she break her poverty routes. She is "discovered" by Hollywood movie boss O. J. Berman (Balsam) who classifies her as "a real phony", meaning that she really buys the glitz and color he has taught her. But Holly is a call girl, and she has not found the man who can rescue her (and brother Fred) from poverty.

She does find a fellow drifter - Paul Varjak, a writer and kept man for wealthy (Mrs. Failenson). He is living in the apartment above Holly's, and the two do become close (in the original story they only become confidants - Paul in the novel is gay). Slowly, in the film Paul finds that Holly is such a fragile type that he falls in love with her - unlike himself she needs protection. But she is determined to hook her millionaire - so she goes after "Rusty Trawler" the ninth richest man in the world, and "Jose Da Silva Pereira" - the wealthy Brazilian). In the meantime, to pay the rent between her "dates" Holly agrees to deliver "weather reports" from Sing Sing prison, where she visits mobster Sally Tomato (Alan Reed in a really nice little cameo). She is unaware of the meaning of those messages.

Holly is something of a classy feather-head, not being able to understand the reports of "snow" in New Orleans from Uncle Sally, nor being able to understand how she gets under the skin of her neighbor, the photographer Mr. Yunioshi (Mickey Rooney). She drives the latter crazy by her constantly waking him up to let her into the apartment when she forgets her passkey, and also by her loud parties. Yet even Yunioshi is secretly captivated by this annoying neighbor: notice how she gets him to calm down by promising to allow him he'll photograph her in the buff.

All the performances are fine (of note see Ebsen in his saddest part, as the broken-hearted Doc, but notice too John McGiver's fine salesman at Tiffany's). Rooney's Yunioshi is now considered racist, but it was not seen as such in 1961 - in fact it was normal (compare to Marlon Brando in TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON). On the whole the film still is well worth watching.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Audrey Hepburn's premier films...
moonspinner554 September 2005
"Breakfast At Tiffany's", from Truman Capote's acerbic novella, is so lushly produced and plushly designed it seems to take place in a New York City dream-world. Audrey Hepburn plays party-girl Holly Golightly with flaky flair, yet she never has to force herself to be a groovy extrovert--she encompasses all of Holly's faults and dizzy highs with just one of the deep little laughs that seem to well up from her chest. I didn't mind Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi (I forgot it was him) and since the movie's edge softens a bit as the film goes on, it needs Yunioshi for some of that low-down comedy inherent in the film's first hour. George Peppard as neighbor Paul is perhaps too smooth and a ready-match for Holly (he only bristles a bit early on), but Peppard as an actor is suitable for Hepburn, he allows her room to sparkle while keeping the film grounded. His frequent bemused looks are charming, and I thought his scenes with Patricia Neal were very good (the filmmakers are a little tough on Neal: she's made to seem decadent and lascivious, and when Peppard calls her on it, I'm not sure if we're supposed to feel sympathy for her, though I did). The opening moments with Hepburn standing in front of Tiffany & Co. are as miraculous as any scene from any movie of this era, and the rest of the film effortlessly emulates that early magic.
36 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What some think of as Audrey Hepburn's best film, it is certainly her signature role
Robert Reynolds13 June 2001
Many think that this is Audrey Hepburn's best film (I think it was Charade) or that this is her best performance (I think that was in Wait Until Dark). What this was for Hepburn is the most single memorable role of her career-her signature role. I cannot picture anyone else as Holly Golightly, no matter how hard I try. She made better films (Charade and My Fair Lady, among others) and did better work (The Children's Hour and Wait Until Dark, among others) but this is the part most people associate with Audrey Hepburn in their minds first. ery good film, with a memorable score and an excellent cast, although Mickey Rooney chews the scenery a bit TOO hard here. Most recommended.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good, too compromised to be great
dj_bassett15 January 2005
Much beloved movie, mainly because it's the iconic Audrey Hepburn role. And as an image she's fabulous, the definition of early-Sixties glamor. The opening sequence, which shows Hepburn eating pastry and staring through the window at Tiffany's as the melancholy strings of "Moon River" wash over everything, is one of the classic intros in movies and a personal favorite.

Considered as a movie it's flawed, though, full of off-key notes and wrong turns. Rooney's Asian caricature is pretty offensive, but a worse problem I think is the dialog throughout, which is very arch and mannered and "writerly" sounding, as well as the nods to Hollywood convention (the party, the gamboling about NYC , the silly paternal Mafioso -- one can imagine somebody insisting that there better be some fun, dammit, in this movie). Most importantly there's a general restraint throughout the picture: the real story here is sad and dark, and it's aching to get through, but instead it's stamped down with a lot of overly-cute Hollywood bits.

Yet that dark story is powerful. Both Peppard and Hepburn are badly damaged people, the fact that they get together (albeit awkwardly) is a tribute to the magic of movies, but their relationship, full of quiet suffering and little hurts, seems very real to me. Peppard is effective as a nice guy who's falling for the wrong woman; Hepburn has some pretty awful dialog, but her performance as a woman who's self-deluding as a way to defend herself from despair (as Martin Balsam says, she's a "real fake") is very strong. This is what I liked best about the movie.

Well, that and Audrey Hepburn herself -- one of those performers for whom movies were invented, she is just amazing to watch. You've heard the cliché "the camera loves her"? Never was that more true than with Audrey Hepburn.

Good, too compromised to be great.
35 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sappy romantic comedy made charming by Hepburn
roghache22 May 2006
Quelle movie! Mushy and improbable but a fun, frothy, light hearted bit of romantic fluff meant to be taken as a love story rather than a sociological study. It's a film most notable to me for Audrey Hepburn's amazing performance, her lovely rendition of the haunting, sentimental Moon River from her balcony, and the dramatic rainy ending that foolishly made me cry. Basically it's the classic tale of a damsel in distress and a knight in shining armour who sets forth to rescue her.

Holly Golightly is a vibrant and free spirited creature, kept in a New York City apartment by various grateful wealthy men who maintain her apparently glamorous lifestyle. She is desperate for a millionaire husband to take care of her and her beloved brother Fred. Frequently hung over or returning home from an all night outing, Holly is befriended by a handsome, unsuccessful writer named Paul Varjak, who has just moved into her apartment building. Paul doesn't judge Holly as he is in something of a similar position, having a rich lady friend of his own. Holly fears being owned or making any sort of commitment even to her marmalade cat, which she refuses to name lest she grow too attached. Instead she calls this very endearing stray simply Cat.

To counteract what she labels the 'mean reds' (worse than the blues), Holly likes to visit Tiffany's which seems to impart to her a sense of security. At the beginning of the movie, she appears breakfasting on coffee and a pastry while window shopping there, hence the title. As for Tiffany's itself, it actually comes across here as quite an obliging, understanding establishment!

Audrey Hepburn makes this movie with her marvelous portrayal of the superficially breezy and quirky Holly, actually a very frightened, insecure, vulnerable, and unfulfilled woman. However, I have read that her portrayal of what is essentially a call girl is the one part for which Hepburn herself felt she was miscast. Holly is a gal from humble roots but has adopted a sophisticated veneer and keeps company with assorted phony people. No lady wears her clothes more elegantly than Audrey Hepburn does here, notably the classic little black dress, outrageous wide brimmed hats, pearls, tiaras, and over-sized sunglasses. Also, no other actress could so convincingly invite herself into the bed of a man (presumed naked) with whom she's barely acquainted and still come across as charming and innocent!

Paul is portrayed by the handsome blond George Peppard, an actor with whom I was previously unfamiliar. He carries off with sympathetic dignity the role of Holly's stalwart confidante, protector, comforter, and friend who sees beyond her daring, sophisticated facade and falls in love with her. Buddy Epsen plays Doc Golightly, the likable, middle aged, country bumpkin Texan whom Holly married at age 14. Paul's lover and benefactress is played by Patricia Neal. I agree with negative comments made about casting Mickey Rooney as a ridiculous, ranting Oriental landlord. What's the point here? I'm not one to be overly obsessed with political correctness, but this caricature is simply too offensive.

There's a cute little sub plot involving Holly's regular visits to a Mafia convict in Sing Sing prison. She is paid to bring him weekly 'weather reports', that is, secret coded mob messages from the outside world. The apartment party scene comes across as a little too absurd and cliché for me to have found funny. Also, Holly & Paul's little shopping spree at the five and dime may be amusing, but it's definitely not laudable! For those in this more enlightened age who object to all the smoking done by the two lead stars, of course this would have been the norm back in that era. Holly herself has a notable cigarette holder a foot or two long. There's a great scene in which Cat (an extremely compelling character!) plays with the holder's bobbing end.

Though not truly an outstanding film, it does feature some witty dialogue. Without Audrey Hepburn, it might all have appeared just too silly. However, she has made it into something of a classic by her unforgettable portrayal of this woman who drifts unsuccessfully from one millionaire rat to another, in search of the security and happiness that constantly allude her. In any case, the movie certainly has a real humdinger of an ending.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Meagre Meal of One Famous Breakfast...
drbagrov6 March 2008
The famous film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is supposedly based upon a brilliant novel by Truman Capote.Excellent music by Henry Mancini, the striking elegance and charm of Audrey Hepburn, the big name of Blake Edwards as the one of the best Hollywood entertainers promised an unforgettable picture.Alas! It turned out to be the most disappointing film versions of all the times.First, there is no trace of the original message of the novel(I hear that the author was not very happy about film version either), which gives no hint of any sugary-sweet romance at all, and the character of Hollie had been grossly transformed (if not mutilated).Second, the actors and their protagonists are a horrendous mismatch:Audrey Hepburn (with all my sincerest admiration and love for her)plays some girl poor Truman Capote had never dreamed about of putting into his novel: too naive and pure, too high-class and too sweet to be a "real phony" as one of the film's characters (O.J.Berman )calls her.Mr Peppard is absolutely wooden, so he looks and sounds the phoniest of all with his love confessions.Mickey Rooney is a bad (really bad!) caricature of a Japanese ( forget about political correctness, it is just bad taste!)man. It is a great pity that a really wonderful piece of writing has had such a disappointing destiny in Hollywood! Though for those who know Hollywood tastes and culture it is no surprise at all.
39 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent romantic comedy-drama
perfectbond9 September 2003
In a way Breakfast at Tiffany's is like getting two movies. The first half or so is a light-hearted comedy and the second half is a romantic drama. The entire package is thoroughly engaging. I'm not usually a fan of this genre but I was entertained throughout. What can be said about Ms. Hepburn in this role that hasn't already been said? She is perfect. Except for the odd A-Team rerun, I hadn't seen any of Mr. Peppard's work. In this film, he is the perfect foil for our heroine. The rest of the cast (including Cat) is more than up to par as well, especially Mick Rooney's politically incorrect but hilarious turn as Ms. Golightly's long suffering neighbor. Great film, 8/10.
69 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
classic!!
dragonscrew71426 April 2005
Great on-stage presence is always a positive attribute in any actor/actress. Great presence can sometimes make up for a bad performance, bad story or even sometimes both. In "Breakfast at Tiffany's", Audrey Hepburn (War and Peace, Always, My Fair Lady) brings her magnetic and charismatic persona to the forefront of a movie that has a fun and witty story, that combined with Hepburn's stellar performance is a classic romantic comedy that will attract non-fans of the film genre and convert them to the church known as Hepburnism.

Hepburn stars as Holly Golightly, a New York woman who falls in love with her next door neighbor Paul "Fred" Varjak, played by George Peppard (PJ, The A-Team, How The West Was Won). Throughout the movie Golightly is on a quest to make herself happy, but conforms to the stereotypical views of society every time. Instead of following her heart, she finds herself dating rich men who have nothing to offer her, thus breaking hearts and making herself miserable in the process. Hepburn shines vibrantly during each and every scene in this movie regardless of if she's crying her eyes out or laughing hysterically. From this movie it is easy to see why Hepburn is highly regarded as a pioneer in great female acting. Hepburn is as beautiful as she is talented, and that is no easy task.

Every little nuance Hepburn performs in "Breakfast at Tiffany's is either perfectly adorable or un-mistakenly charming. Even during more emotional scenes Hepburn proves in "Breakfast At Tiffany's" that she is a rare screen gem and that is capable of making people laugh and cry at the same time. Hepburn's eclectic style makes this movie not one to be missed by anyone.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a great example of fantastic movie-making. Blake Edwards did a fantastic job directing this film, as it is soaked in enthusiasm, drama, and smile educing moments throughout. The movie has a fantastic sense of fashion, as Hepburn and Peppard are wearing beautiful and elegant clothes throughout. The music is top notch as it captures the essence of every scene whether it's happy or sad. Overall "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a defining film in the Romantic Comedy genre. It makes you laugh as much as it makes you cry, that is if you can shake the beautiful and awe educing trance of Hepburn long enough to pay attention to the movie.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this