The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) Poster

Still Unique Even After 45 Years
ccthemovieman-131 October 2005
Here's a movie that's gone from cult classic to just plain classic. For me, it's one of the few "cult classics" I saw when it was released and then first shown on television. I loved it then, and I love it now.

Forget the musical re-make made in the 1980s. It couldn't hold a candle to the original.

"Original" is what this is, too. and nowadays, it's great to have it on DVD in which the audio is clear and the picture pretty sharp.

I have always particularly enjoyed the many humorous lines delivered by Mel Welles, who plays the flower shop owner. He is the real comedian of the cast, although the plant does quite well as do the two leads played by Jonathan Haze and Jackie Joseph. The latter two are a little more subtle in their comedy.

All the characters in here are totally whacked, from Haze's hypochondriac mother to Dick Miller's flower-eating character to the Jewish mother who always has a dead relative to moan about and to the dentist and his patient. The latter, of course, is Jack Nicholson, making his movie debut and looking about 16 years old.

In the end, though, what one remembers most is the plant demanding, over and over, to "Feeeeeed me!!"

For that, the plant and the film never fail to make me laugh.
58 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming little movie!
Snake-6667 October 2003
This charming little B-movie tells the story of Seymour (Jonathon Haze), a good hearted yet rather slow boy, who works at a flower shop owned by Gravis Mushnick (Mel Welles). During his spare time Seymour develops a new type of plant, which he names Audrey Junior after a woman he likes (Jackie Joseph). Unfortunately this particular plant feeds off human blood and when Seymour can no longer feed it on his blood, the plant itself forces him to look elsewhere for food.

This delightful horror-comedy was remarkably shot in just two days and was originally intended as a sequel to director Roger Corman's ‘Bucket of Blood' (1959). However, ‘The Little Shop of Horrors' stands out in its own right as a charming and inventive low-budget horror movie. Throughout the movie we meet a whole variety of weird and wonderful characters including a man who eats plants (played by Dick Miller who would also work with Jackie Joseph in ‘Gremlins' (1984)), a sadistic dentist, a masochistic dental patient (an early performance from Jack Nicholson) and a woman who can't go a day without a family member passing on. Despite (or maybe because) of the overall absurdity of the movie, ‘The Little Shop of Horrors' manages to be strangely captivating yet portray an air of darkness in the right places.

Roger Corman directed this movie very well considering his resources and complimented the fairly tight screenplay written by Charles Griffith. The special effects were not of that high a standard but, considering the budget and shooting time one, can hardly have anything negative to say about that. The appearance of the plant as it grows throughout the movie may not be that great but overall it takes nothing away from the viewers enjoyment. Perhaps a little bit more could have been done to represent the plants movement more realistically but, even so, this is just a minor flaw of an otherwise great film. The performance from the three main stars was delightful. Though the acting was hammed up in places the movie never lost its comical charm and some slightly dramatic performances towards the end helped create an unsuspected eeriness in the dying moments.

Surprisingly ‘The Little Shop of Horrors' was virtually ignored on its initial release but eventually attained a cult status due to continuous TV play. For those of you who doubt its classic status ‘The Little Shop of Horrors' has now spawned a Broadway musical, a high-budget musical remake and even a Saturday morning children's TV programme. Short (around 68mins) but very entertaining, I recommend this to fans of quirky horror comedies and general horror fans alike! The movie features good direction, a well written story, interesting and likeable characters and some excellent one-liners. My rating for ‘The Little Shop of Horrors' 8/10.
38 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprisingly funny piece of b-movie entertainment from Corman
bob the moo25 July 2005
Mushnick's is a small florists in skid row – a dead end part of town that everyone knows about but nobody wants to know about. Business is not great, in fact it is awful – nobody wants to buy flowers when they can't be sure where their next meal is coming from. However the cleaning boy has nurtured a strange new plant up from seed and it seems to be getting interest. When he discovers it needs a few drops of blood to make it grow Seymour is the toast of the town with his employer very grateful for the increased revenue the visitors bring. However as it grows it begins to need more than a few drops and soon he is heading down a terrible, dark road.

Like many viewers I suspect, I came to this film after seeing the musical remake; as such I assumed that this would be a straight film in the b-movie genre that Corman is famous for. However I was taken by how amusing this film was because really this is as much a horror comedy as the musical is. From Seymour's alcoholic mother to the cop so hard that even the death of his son is met with a shrug, the whole film is full of darkly comic touches that drew some nice laughs from me. This comic approach helps the film because really it is a silly plot and the fact that the script was tongue-in-cheek meant it was easier to swallow, if you pardon the choice of words. As a horror it doesn't really work but it does have a slocky property that Corman films tend to have – not high quality but low budget, b-movie fun.

The cast match the material and all buy into the joke, watching them also shows that the cast in the musical are really pretty much just impersonate the actors here. Haze is enjoyably geeky and convinces throughout. Welles is funny and plays up to his ethnic caricature well. Corman regular Miller hasn't really got much to do but his face is always a ruggedly familiar and welcome sight. Joseph is not great but her performance suits the b-movie genre – likewise Campo and Warford (who are very funny as Dragnet style cops). Nicholson is pretty funny and was a curious find in a small cameo.

Overall this is not a great film but it is a great b-movie horror. Never taking itself seriously means that it can be darkly funny and take the audience along for the ride. To me it is just as funny as the musical even it is a different type of humour and it is worth checking out.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I lurve this movie!
Ben_Cheshire3 April 2004
Funny, sexy black comedy shot by "King of the B's" Roger Corman on a landmark budget of 27 000 and in landmark time of only 2 days! Its the funniest movie i've seen from 1960 or before, and between this fact, the fact that it is black comedy, and the fact that it has the charm and lack of pretension of a cheaply made horror movie, its no wonder it has such a huge cult following.

It has the incredibly sexy Jackie Joseph, one of the most buxom lasses i've ever seen, and many risque scenes, which, along with the jazzy soundtrack and black humour, give this a much freer feel than any studio picture of the era, or any picture before. Its humour hasn't aged a bit - and feels quite modern compared to most humour of the day.

As an added curio, this features Jack Nicholson in his first ever appearance in a feature film (he was in one short film before it), as the nerdy, masochistic patient who squeals with delight when the dentist is drilling holes in his mouth and pulling teeth. Though its only a five minute part, its a great part.

The movie is filled with an edgy humour that the remakes (including the broadway musical, which the 1986 film was based on) are too conservative for. I thoroughly recommend it to you.

Corman went on to become one of the most important producers of the century, since he provided opportunities to many young filmmakers in the 70's, whose projects the major studios would never have invested in, and so we would have been deprived of the talents of Peter Bogdanovich, Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather, Apocalypse Now), Martin Scorcese (Taxi Driver, Raging Bull), Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs) and many others. Corman taught them how to just go out and make a good movie, and make it cheaply - and his major qualification to be able to teach them this, in my opinion, is that he made Little Shop of Horrors.
43 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A $50 Corman classic!!
Infofreak10 June 2002
'The Little Shop Of Horrors' is one of the movies that Roger Corman's reputation as the "king of the quickies" is founded on. Filmed in two days on a budget less than Spielberg's dinner money, this is one of the all-time b-grade camp classics. While the humour is extremely dated the concept is very black and contemporary. Charles B. Griffith probably deserves as much credit for this movie as Corman. Writing this, 'A Bucket Of Blood', 'The Wild Angels' and 'Death Race 2000' has ensured him movie immortality! Corman semi-regular Jonathan Haze may not be as fondly remembered as Dick Miller, but he is well cast as the klutzy Seymour Krelboyne, "father" of the blood thirsty exotic plant Audrey, and Mel Welles hams it up as his tyrannical boss Mushnick. But the show is stolen by Miller as a flower eating hipster, and an astonishingly fresh faced Jack Nicholson as a masochistic dental patient (a classic bit!), as much as Audrey herself. Forget the crappy 80s musical version, stick with this, the real deal. It is pretty creaky in places but still a lot of fun!
39 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plant food!
Hitchcoc17 March 2006
I remember seeing this on a weekly television show called Chiller, when I was in high school. It was one of those local celebrity things, with an emcee presiding over whatever horror movies were in the library of that particular station. I realized quickly, what an offbeat flick this was. It was utterly hilarious with its moments of masochism, the man eating plant, Audrey one and two, and all the other things that Seymour must deal with just to keep going. The plant controls him and it is a hilarious plant. The black and white neutral staging of the plant is so much better than the flashiness of the musical (though I do like some of those songs). The smallness of this film is what helps make it work. Everyone is a caricature. Jack Nicholson's proudest moment. No wonder he is such a wack, spending all that time in his formative years with Roger Corman. The acting works because it is a period piece. No matter how much we try to reproduce the fifties, it always falls short of just seeing the fifties. It's like Dragnet without the strange suits and the slang of the time. It's just more honest because they weren't trying to reproduce it. I haven't watched this in some time, so I think I'll leave my computer and sit down and watch it again.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Hilarious Cult Comedy Classic!
reiss-ferlance5 July 2006
The Little Shop Of Horrors is a brilliant movie, one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. I bought this movie from HMV (Top dog for DVD's) It was in "The Classic Horror Boxset" Volume 1. It included other movie classics like House On Haunted Hill, Horror Hotel, The Ghoul, and some more. This movie shouldn't even be called a horror movie, I don't know anyone who was scared by this movie, if they were, then don't watch a movie like "The Wasp Woman." The story of this movie is hilarious, and so are the characters. This movie is about a young man named Seymour Krelboyne, who nurtures a plant then discovers it's a talking, man- eating plant, The plant is funny, the lines that the plant says like: "Feed Me Seymour","You look fat enough". The character of Seymour Krelboyne is funny, he tends to say "I didn't mean it" This movie is just generally funny. This movie was supposedly shot in 2 days. How did they make it in 2 days? The acting is this movie is good. The actors really make the movie funny. Mel Welles plays a funny Gravis Mushnik, and Dick Miller makes a great Burson Fouch and the character of the old woman, every day she loses a family member. The funniest scene in the movie (SPOILERS CONTAINED!) is the scene in the dentist. Where Seymour Krelboyne is pulling out a man teeth. The man is played by Jack Nicholson. This was supposedly his first movie. Overall. This movie is brilliant. There was a remake in the 1980. I liked that one, but the original is still the best. I give The Little Shop Of Horrors (1960) 5 stars out of 5 stars. *****/*****
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Campy classic
johno-2112 March 2006
I first saw this movie on TV when I was a kid and it probably never even made the Drive-In circuit but went straight to local television station libraries. Even as a kid I never saw any horror in this but viewed it as a tongue-in-cheek horror/comedy. This is directed by the king of Drive-In horror genre movies Roger Corman who also went into straight to video film making as a producer. This movie likely would have had it's limited late night TV run in the 60's and into the early 70's and then disappeared if not for the fact that a young Jack Nicholson had a fun and memorable role in this. Lead actor Jonathan Haze didn't have a notable career after this but Jackie Joseph would go on to a lot of film, television roles and TV cartoon voice-overs. Other cast members Dick Miller and Mel Welles would go on to appear in many television and movie roles and Miller is still very active today. Writer Charles B Griffith and Roger Corman wrote this in a single night, gave their actors three days to rehearse and shot it in two days. Griffith supplies the voice of the man-eating plant. This is a black comedy, low budget campy classic and I've seen it many times. Great character names and a funny script. This is bad by design which makes it pretty good. I would give this a 6.5 out of 10.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horror comedy with low budget converted a cult movie
ma-cortes3 May 2006
The picture concerns upon a geeky employee (Jonathan Haze) working in a florist shop called Mushnick (Mel Welles) who brings a carnivorous and ferocious plant developing a bloodthirsty hunger and is forced to murder for human eating .

Horror comedy blending black humor , parody , tongue-in-cheek and horror . The comedy is absurd and cheesy but gets its moments here and there . Incredible cheap but effective visual effects . This is a well known terror-comedy , it's a quickie but was shot for two days and is deemed one of Corman's best and funniest movies ever made although with lack budget . The principal actors and technicians will repeat along with Corman in various films ,in fact, the picture belongs to horror-black comedy sub-genre as ¨A bucket of blood¨ and ¨Creature from the haunted sea¨, both of them written by Charles B. Griffith (who is the voice of ¨Audrie the plant¨ and besides plays the thief) . In the film appears the Corman's ordinary actors as Mel Welles, Dick Miller, Haze and a young newcomer Jack Nicholson in a comic interpretation as a sadomasochistic who receives a especial dental intervention . The picture is remade (1986) as an amused musical comedy by Frank Oz with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis . The flick will appeal to classic and cult movies fans.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming little movie to watch over and over again
Coventry3 December 2003
If there is ONE movie that made Roger Corman THE king of low-budget quickies, it's The Little Shop of Horrors!! Practically no budget and shot in two days this movie still looks very decent now, almost 45 years later. That's quite an effort if you ask me and it's good to see that this movie finally received the status of immortal cult movie.

This is a very charming little movie, to say the least. The story is simple but it keeps you alert all the time ( originally, it was meant to be a sequel to Bucket of Blood ) but it's the characters that steal the show. Every character that walks through the screen is exceptional and hilarious. We've got a guy who feeds on flowers, an old lady who loses a family member every day, a mother with a fetish for diseases, a masochistic undertaker who visits the dentist and almost has an orgasm ( legendary appearance by Jack Nicholson in one of his first roles ) and a whole bunch of others...Too much to list, actually. Jonathan Haze is brilliant as the dumb florist assistant in love. He created a new type of plant and that causes a whole lot of trouble...and comedy.

Watch Little Shop of Horrors for it's value in cult cinema, maybe. Or because Roger Corman is an interesting director who deserves to be checked out. Or you could watch it to see where Jack Nicholson started his impressive career a long time ago. But - most of all - watch it because it's an adorable little movie with very funny sequences and a lot of low-budget charm. The 80's musical version by Frank Oz is also worth a look but it doesn't come close to this original version.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy and Cult Low-Budget Black Comedy
claudio_carvalho3 October 2016
When the clumsy Seymour Krelboyne (Jonathan Haze) spoils two flowers of a client, the owner of a small florist shop Gravis Mushnick (Mel Welles) is ready to fire him. However Seymour tells that he has mixed two plants of different breeds at home and created a hybrid named Audrey Jr. and Mushnick decides to give another chance to his employee. On the next day, Seymour brings Audrey Jr. that becomes the pride and joy of Mushnick, his other employee Audrey Fulquard (Jackie Joseph) and clients. Out of the blue, the flower seems to be dying and Seymour accidentally learns that she likes blood. One day, Seymour is upset since he does not know how to feed the flower and he walks along a railroad. When he throws a stone near a railroad track, he accidentally hits the head of a man that falls on the track and is a train runs over him. Seymour brings the pieces of the man to the shop and finds that the plant likes flesh. On the next morning, Audrey Jr. has grown and become the attraction of the shop. But how will Seymour feed his plant again?

"The Little Shop of Horrors" is a cheesy and cult low-budget black comedy directed by Roger Corman. The plot is silly and this film is the debut of Jack Nicholson with a small role. The characters are weird; there are just a few locations; but this film is still funny fifty six years later. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Pequena Loja dos Horrores" ("The Little Shop of Horrors")
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Corman's first is still one of his best
Quinoa198412 July 2006
The first version of The Little Shop of Horrors, long before the Broadway musical and Frank Oz's musical/horror/comedy, is one of the primary examples of shoe-string movie-making. Shoe-string, of course, refers mostly to the budget, and this possibly ranks above others like Clerks, Slacker, Night of the Living Dead and Blair Witch in order to put it together so quickly. And yet for all of its little slip-ups and deranged moments of comedy, it does work for what its worth. Not that it doesn't show that the film was made in two days, but on those terms of extremely low-budget, go-for-broke B-movie-making, Roger Corman as a director has quite a nifty effort here. The story is similar to a fairy-tale (a darkly comic one to be sure, like one of the Fractures Fairy tales from the old Rocky & Bullwinkle show), in how Seymour (Jonathan Haze, perfect as an awkward, easily shockable little guy) tries to nurture a plant to earn the affections of Audrey (Jackie Joseph). But then the plant turns into a meat-eater, to put it that way, and from there Charles Griffith's script goes into wild comic turns where he now has to figure out how to take care of the plant before it 'takes care' of him. Some scenes are less notable than others, and sometimes the cheesiness of it all (just look at the plant itself for proof enough) can be wearisome. But Corman keeps the atmosphere with a giddy amount of late 50s 'shlock', and some scenes stand the test of time as the best of their B-movie status. Tops go to the 2nd film appearance from Nicholson as the most psychotic of the bunch, as a 'chipper' fetishist who gets off on getting his wretched teeth worked on- it's a masterpiece of a scene with cartoonish action, innuendo and crazy looks from a 23 year old Nicholson. Worth checking out, maybe more than once, and you're likely to find it (appropriately) in the cheapest lot of DVDs and videos at your local store.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film!
HumanoidOfFlesh24 August 2003
Roger Corman's "The Little Shop of Horrors" is a perfect example of a fun,low budget cult film.It's very inventive black comedy that will keep you entertained.The film was shot on a budget of $27000 in a period of just two days.The direction is amazing,the acting is excellent(Jack Nicholson really steals the show as the world's most masochistic patient Wilbur Force)and there are some wonderful moments.All in all if you like Roger Corman's cheapies give this one a look.A must-see!
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of R Corman's finest
manicgecko16 October 2006
First of all, how often do you get to see Jack Nicholson at bottom billing, and enjoy a movie. Little Shop of Horrors is a classic farce summing up everything Corman has done to this point. The characters are deliciously over-the-top and ingeniously played by the cast. And the movie throws in one-liner after one-liner, keeping you laughing hard enough (intentionally) you don't notice the little things that bother you in other Corman movies. My favorites include "If hit by a truck call your physician." and "it grows like a cold sore on the lip". The chase scene at the end is something to make the Zucker and Abrahams families proud. So lets all grab a bottle of Dr. Phlegm's cough syrup and drink a toast to the one of the great underground movies that Roger Corman got right. I didn't mean to.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Corman Classic
CMRKeyboadist3 January 2006
I can't remember which version of this film I saw first the musical or the original. Although, both versions of the film are rather good the original has a true place in cult history. The comedy in the musical is a little more oriented for people of all ages but the original is truly a masterpiece of black comedy. The story starts at Mushnick's flower shop and we are introduced to most of the main characters right away. This is pretty typical of any Corman film from the time. There is Mr. Mushnick who plays a tyrant of a boss, we have Audrey who is a very sweet young lady, then we have the lead of the movie Seymour (who is ultimately a joke). Dick Miller plays the man who is eating flowers in the shop and there are a few other characters who are more on the side. Anyway, Seymour is about to get fired when he tells his boss that he has a plant he might be interested in. His boss sends him to retrieve this plant and of course the plant is dying so Mr. Mushnick tells him he has one week to revive the plant. Of course, later that day Seymour finds that the plant only wants blood to eat. Well, there's the story because you can only imagine what happens afterwords. The end of the movie is still one of the funniest endings ever, I think anyway. Look for a small role by Jack Nickleson as the masochistic dental patient. 8 stars
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jack Nicholson Loves His Teeth Pulled !
whpratt14 December 2003
Roger Corman made this film in 1960 and was able to produce this film on a shoe string and secured unknown actors like Jack Nicholson (Wilbur Force), " Chinatown",'74, and Jonathan Haze (Seymour Kreilboind), "The Terror", '63, with Boris Karloff and once again Jack Nicholson. Seymour was fantastic in this film, with his Jewish jokes and on going Punch Lines throughout the picture. Jackie Joseph (Audrey Fulguard), "The Split", '68 played a way out good looking gal trying to please everyone, including the Hungry PLANT ! Wilbur Force played a great patient in a Dentist office who just simply LOVED PAIN AND SUFFERING and needed almost every tooth in his mouth PULLED for the JOY of IT ! If you want to see a very young Jack Nicholson starting out in pictures, this is a must see film !
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remarkable
carflo24 December 2011
I saw Little Shop of Horrors once on TV when I was in junior high and my girlfriend saw it also. For weeks we made giggling "Feed me! I'm hungry" jokes and we both thought of it as a really bad-funny horror film. I just saw it again and realized we were wrong. It was not a 'really bad-funny horror film; it was a really really good dark comedy. The fact that Corman made it in just 2 days for $27,000 only adds to my amazement as to how good it is. Every character was an eccentric gem, especially Jack Nicolson's masochistic dental patient, better even than Bill Murray's later portrayal of the same character - and that is saying a lot. I especially liked the two cops, Fink & Stoolie with Fink doing an excellent Joe Friday. If you like black comedy - and I do - please give the 1960 version of Little Shop of Horrors a look-see. If you find it even half as funny as I did, you won't be disappointed.
All You Need Is Lunch
wes-connors28 July 2008
Inept Skid Row florist shop clerk Jonathan Haze (as Seymour Krelboin) is, after hours, an amateur botanist. In a coffee can, Mr. Haze crosses his Venus Fly Trap with another plant, and creates a cannibalistic monster. He names the hybrid plant "Audrey Junior" in honor of ditzy co-worker Jackie Joseph (as Audry Fulquard). Haze is in love with Ms. Joseph. At "Mushnik's (sic) Florist" shop, the potted Audrey Junior draws in paying customers, which pleases nervous shop owner Mel Welles (as Gravis Mushnik). But, Haze finds it difficult to satisfy Audrey Junior's increasingly insatiable appetite for human flesh...

Writer Charles Griffith's "Little Shop" is a wickedly funny comedy classic.

Roger Corman's direction is dead-on. Certainly, this is the Corman-Griffith partnership at its peak, collectively and, perhaps, individually. The low budget style employed (necessarily) herein has been imitated (necessarily), but unsuccessfully. The film is fresh, and full of wit; and, it is performed exceptionally well. Griffith's own characterizations reveal a promising comic actor (he plays "Audrey Junior", the burglar, and others). The supporting characters are, also, a riot. Especially hilarious are masochistic Jack Nicholson (as Wilbur Force) and hypochondriac Myrtle Vail (as Winifred Krelboin). Flower-eating Dick Miller (as Burson Fouch) provides contrast. "FEED ME!"

********* The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) Roger Corman ~ Jonathan Haze, Charles Griffith, Jack Nicholson, Mel Welles
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget cult classic filmed in only 3 days!
mdm-1124 May 2005
This comedy built around a flesh-eating plant has very little storyline, but it sure is packed with laughs! You'll mockingly imitate the human-gulping "Audrie" as she squeals "...feed me, feed me!" A very young (then unknown) Jack Nicholson is marvelous as the wacko dental patient ready for a filling. There are many crazy surprises, but face it, this is and always will be a cult classic, NOT Academy Award material.

One warning: If you have high standards regarding "perfect DVD quality", you should look for a better transfer copy. The VHS version (around since the early 1980s) offers far superior quality, although it also is less than excellent. The best way to view this piece of Hollywood Nostalgia would be to catch it at a college campus -- It'll make you feel like a kid again!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cheap but very entertaining WARNING!!!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!
callanvass24 September 2004
cheap but very entertaining drivel (or what ever it is) is actually pretty well made and directed even though this took only 2 days to shoot!!!!! that is pretty remarkable in my opinion. plus there was a bit of gore tiny bit of blood there was a cut of foot and hand but not much more but this movie isn't really about that. the effects are pretty cheap looking but that just adds to the fun of it and it's supposed to be that anyway.the acting is very campy but amusing and it works!. Jonathan Haze is very funny here giving a great campy performance he cracked me up a lot of the time. i have only seen him in 1 other movie and that was The Terror(awesome flick)he did a great job!. Jackie Joseph is also amusing here with that funny voice of hers she also cracked me up. Mel Welles was my favorite character here he had me on the floor and i want to see more of him after this he did a great job here giving a wonderful campy performance I LOVED him. Dick Miller is great here in his limited time he was also in The Terror he did good here. Myrtle Vail is hilarious here as the mother that is always thinking that she has some sickness she cracked me up too. Jack Nicholson is HILARIOUS i couldn't stop laughing after a few minutes he is so funny as the guy who LOVES pain. Overall a cool film that is well worth seeing *** out of 5
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece of farce, slapstick and backfire humor
johnjredington13 November 2005
This is possibly the nearest that American cinema has come to producing a classic French farce based on outlandishly unbelievable characters, story and situations. However, what makes it special is the incorporation of staccato New York Jewish humor into the exchanges between the principal players - something like the way the Marx Brothers' ad-libs transformed their early scripts into masterpieces. It is also a beautifully tight production with hardly a single sentence or shot flagging from the breakneck pace and outlandish humor.

The entire film is said to have been shot in just three days and, from the way it turned out, it looks as if Roger Corman just turned on the cameras and let the cast insult the bejasus out of each other.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 10... Sort of...
FilmWiz16 June 2003
Back in 1960, this was a typical B-movie fare. B-movies usually took six months to make, and were often not that good, as it was shown after the main feature.

This was watchable, and it was often very funny in a black comedy was incredible and horrible. NO, not incredibly horrible! This film was film was shot in two days, and knowing this made the film incredible. Roger Corman, the director did a wonderful job.

People claim that the bought this movie for `Jack' but `Jack' wasn't any good. Jack Nicholson had a bit role in this film… A man that enjoys pain. Jack Nicholson stole the show… while Seymour stole his teeth.

The movie, in all due respects was funny, dark and crazy. Although the special effects are horrible, get over it! It was shot in two days! What special effects do you want?

The remake, all in all was not even close. The darkness is gone, and worse of all, they changed the ending… I'm glad the show was more similar

Nerdy and clumsy Seymour Krelboyne (Jonathan Haze) and Audrey Fulguard (Jackie Joseph) works at the Mushnick Floral shop on the dirty and poor Skid Row. Impassionate Gravis Mushnick (Mel Welles) the owner of the shop continues to threaten Seymour that if one more thing goes wrong, and if they lose another dollar because of him, (since they are not getting any) he will be fired. BOOM! He breaks a vase.

It all turns out OK when Seymour makes a deal with Mushnick. He says that he has a newly crossed plant that he would bring to the shop. The store's sole customer pursues Mushnick into believing that the plant would bring in lots of business. Mushnick agrees and Audrey Jr. is brought into the shop.

It gets sicker and sicker, and Seymour hopes that he will find some sort of food it likes before the end of the night. He cuts his finger on a rose thorn and the monster's mouth opens up! He's found something the plant will eat! Blood!… But soon Jr. becomes more demanding, forcing Seymour to murder for the survival of the Audrey Jr.

Recommended to all! A Must-See!

MPAA Rating: Unrated

My Rating: 8 and up for scenes of unrealistic 50's murder and adult theme.

My * Rating: 8.6/10
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to shot a movie in two days!
Bruce_Cook21 December 2003
What a movie! It's got (A) an infamous reputation, (B) a cult following, and (C) the pride of knowing it inspired both an off-Broadway musical comedy and a big-budget movie musical.

All this from a Roger Corman movie that was shot in only two days! It's all about a nerdy flower store clerk who boosts business in a skid row store by displaying a talking, meat-eating plant he calls Audrey, Jr. (named after the girl he loves). The owner of the shop is played by Mel Welles, who went on to direct "Lady Frankenstein" in Italy. The screenplay was written by Charles Griffith, who also plays a hold-up man and provides the voice of the carnivorous plant ("Feed me! I'm hungry!") He later had to sue to receive credit when the stage play became a hit.

Young Jack Nicholson is a masochist who visits his dentist for fun. Dick Miller is a customer who buys flowers and eats them. Jonathan Haze stars as the clerk who serves the hungry plant until it's big enough to eat the store (although the box of the prerecorded tape shows the now-famous Nicholson holding the plant).

Despite the film's seventy-minute running time, it's crowded with black-comedy gags; they overlap each like roofing shingles. The first one is a quick spoof of "Dragnet's" typical kick-off narration, after which things get increasingly frantic until the plot finally swallows its own tail and vanishes altogether. Critics initially scoffed at Corman's "two-day movie", but now they refer to it as "one of Corman's best efforts". A computer-colorized version is available if you'd like to see what a carnivorous gilded lily looks like.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Roger Corman knew what a Cult Classic was in 1960 ...
KennethEagleSpirit12 January 2007
And was aiming at that as a goal, well, bullseye! Of course the goal was to be done by 5:00 p.m. tomorrow so as to avoid the expense of overtime, but thats beside the point. The point? Just way cool Cult Classic campy fun. You pretty much have to love this movie. Jack Nicholson as dental patient Wilbur Force (Trivia for those of you who read comics ... Does that name ring a bell? If not, hey, maybe you're just a born looser. ), the cost of plant food even in '60, the victims of hunger being planted one by one, and of course Seymore. This thing, in its entirety, is classic. All the way. For a film that had the budget of "Whats under the car seat and the pillows on the couch?" and done in two days of shooting you can't do better.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fine Example of Horror Comedy
hrkepler4 June 2018
"Hi, I'm Burson Fouch." "Gravis Mushnik." "Oh, that's a good one."

'The Little Shop of Horrors' might be the best looking movie ever filmed in two days and one night. That said, it is also funniest movie Roger Corman ever directed. Some of the camp and slapstick might seem mostly outdated now, but you cannot go without appreciating the genius banter and wordplay the dialogue and narrations are filled with (My name is Fink, sergeant Joe Fink, I'm the fink.). And these witty remarks never grow tiresome. The acting is mostly delightfully hammy and sometimes over the top (Jack Nicholson's sadomasochistic Wilbur Force), but without becoming irritating unlike some modern comedic 'geniouses' (ehem, Adam Sandler, ehem). Add wonderfully serious performance by Dick Miller as a balance and you have nice ensemble of oddballs.

'The Little Shop of Horrors' although inferior in many aspects to the musical with similar title, is aged rather well (not counting the special effects), compared to other horror comedies from that era. Not horrifying anymore, but remains darkly humorous thanks to smartly written screenplay filled with fantastic puns.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.